PDA

View Full Version : Brian Shaw coming back?

Sandman21
07-04-2012, 02:45 PM
http://www.indycornrows.com/2012/7/4/3137418/reports-indicate-brian-shaw-may-return-to-pacers-bench

Reports Indicate Brian Shaw May Return To Pacers Bench

Iclogo_new_tiny by Tom Lewis on Jul 4, 2012 2:29 PM EDT in Indiana Pacers News

If you have paid attention to the background noise in videos on Pacers.com lately, you've seen associate head coach Brian Shaw. In the pre-draft workouts last week Shaw was on the court helping with workouts and then in the video showing Miles Plumlee arriving at the Fieldhouse, there was Shaw in the lobby for a quick hello.

Shaw had been absent earlier in June while pursuing head coaching positions, most notably in Charlotte and Orlando. Shaw figured to be a perfect fit for the Magic job but according to recent reports, it looks like Shaw will be back on the Pacers bench next season.

Orlando Local 6 television reports that the Magic have San Antonio assistant Mike Budenholzer and Memphis assistant Mo Cheeks as their top choice to take over for Stan Van Gundy. Meanwhile, Ric Bucher tweets that former Portland coach Nate McMillan is the front runner for the Magic.

It appears Shaw remains in the mix but as a back up plan for the Magic which stinks for B-Shaw but is good news for the Pacers. Not sure what it is going to take for Shaw to get a top job in the NBA since the Magic opening seemed like the perfect fit. Now the Pacers need to continue exceeding expectations to keep Shaw's name among the assistant coaches worthy of consideration for every coaching opening.

Big win for us if IndyCornRows is right.

pacerDU
07-04-2012, 02:55 PM
I'd be so happy if he's back with us for next season. How he hell does Mark Jackson get a head coaching gig but Shaw doesn't?

Shade
07-04-2012, 02:59 PM
I'd love to have him back. No clue why someone hasn't snatched him up yet.

NapTonius Monk
07-04-2012, 03:00 PM
I'd be so happy if he's back with us for next season. How he hell does Mark Jackson get a head coaching gig but Shaw doesn't?Mark Jackson wanted a head coaching job long before he actually got one. Shaw will get his shot eventually.

pacerDU
07-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Yes, but he'd never been a coach or even an assistant coach before he got the GS job. Shaw's been an assistant for years. Just confusing to me.

Eleazar
07-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Yes, but he'd never been a coach or even an assistant coach before he got the GS job. Shaw's been an assistant for years. Just confusing to me.

Because he is a bigger name than Shaw. I don't believe Isaiah Thomas ever had a coaching job before he became a head coach, neither did Larry Bird. If you were a good enough player teams don't really care if you have previous coaching experience or not.

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Big win for us if IndyCornRows is right.

Cornrows mentions Budenholzer, Cheeks and McMillan but this recent report from the Orlando Sentinel says otherwise.

http://ht.ly/c1chs

The Orlando Magic are expected to interview Michael Malone, Brian Shaw, Quin Snyder and Jacque Vaughn for their head-coaching vacancy, the Orlando Sentinel has learned from league sources.

Although it's unclear whether additional candidates are on the list or will be added to the list, Magic general manager Rob Hennigan likely will conduct first-round interviews with Malone, Shaw, Snyder and Vaughn over the next week.

I don't think we can safely say he'll be back just yet. I hope he does, but if he doesn't, I wonder who will replace him and who makes that decision. Vogel or Pritchard?

idioteque
07-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Definitely good for us, but probably good for Shaw as well. Does he really want to be stuck coaching the Bobcats or the Magic? The right job will probably emerge for him next year.

gummy
07-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Cornrows mentions Budenholzer, Cheeks and McMillan but this recent report from the Orlando Sentinel says otherwise.

http://ht.ly/c1chs

I don't think we can safely say he'll be back just yet. I hope he does, but if he doesn't, I wonder who will replace him and who makes that decision. Vogel or Pritchard?

Bird asked Vogel to put together a list of his top candidates and gave him the OK to pursue them - he didn't handpick them for Vogel. Too lazy to look up the articles about that, but they are out there and on the board.

My personal opinion? Seems to me if Bird didn't dictate to Vogel, Pritchard shouldn't either. And clearly Frank did a good job the last time he was asked to put together a list, including landing a guy many didn't think he could snag (Shaw).

All I really know re: Pritchard is about his FO management style when it comes to drafts, trades and so forth. No clue how he interacts with coaches. Does someone else know more on that front?

wintermute
07-04-2012, 04:40 PM
All I really know re: Pritchard is about his FO management style when it comes to drafts, trades and so forth. No clue how he interacts with coaches. Does someone else know more on that front?

Hard to tell. He inherited Nate McMillan as head coach when he became GM, and he was fired before McMillan was.

Typically though, NBA coaches name their own staff. Vogel's certainly earned that right in my book.