PDA

View Full Version : The Dwight Howard deal

Banta
07-03-2012, 07:43 AM
Nets are set to give up 3 first round picks plus Lopez, Humphries and Brooks.

I realize he's the best at what he does but I'm not sure he's worth that. That's 3 good to very good players plus 3 unknown commodities in the picks in exchange for 1 very good to great player who appears to be more high maintenance than your average teenage girlfriend.

Speed
07-03-2012, 07:46 AM
I do it everyday, 3 good players, 3 mid to late 1st rounders for the best center in the game. Without question or hesitation. Nets could win the East, if this happens, imo.

Hypnotiq
07-03-2012, 07:49 AM
This is the same package of players that has been going around for months and nothing has ever come of it so whats different this time ?

Sollozzo
07-03-2012, 07:50 AM
If this clown had kept his mouth shut last year and not signed that extension then couldn't he have outright signed here because of NJ's cap space? Instead, they are forced to gut their team for him.

Aw Heck
07-03-2012, 07:50 AM
Deron Williams
Joe Johnson
Gerald Wallace
?
Dwight Howard

So should they just go ahead and announce Billy King as Executive of the Year now or...?

Speed
07-03-2012, 07:57 AM
The Gerald Wallace thing looked to be a joke, huge mistake giving up an only top 3 protected pick, paying him 10 million a year....now it looks like a nice piece to the puzzle, really crazy.

Steagles
07-03-2012, 08:05 AM
The Nets won't win the east this year. They aren't wade and lebron, they still need more pieces, like a 4 and some bench. What are the odds Orlando doesnt want Humphries? Because I do..

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk

3 8 thee great t h
07-03-2012, 08:35 AM
Please the nets are becoming my frontrunner for the heat killers next year.....

You got Howard who can dominate bosh, Wallace can attempt to guard Lebron, wade had to guard Johnson, leaving d will to impose his will on the heats PGs! That's scary! They can have some of us on their bench and still be contenders for a ring.

ksuttonjr76
07-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Why do all these new Big 3 teams have to be in the Eastern conference? It kinda forces Indiana to match Hibbert (which we should). If this trade goes down, I'm all for Nash, B. Roy, Gordon, or bust.

Ransom
07-03-2012, 08:47 AM
If you can keep deron Williams you give virtually anything you can for Howard. The Heat, not just with Lebron but with Shaq have taught us tha given the chance to gave 2 genuine top 10 players, you have to grab it. You can fill the pieces around them later.

Derek2k3
07-03-2012, 08:49 AM
Hmmmm. I truly hope Orlando gets close, then says **** you and trades his *** to Russia's national team for that FPS Russia guy on youtube.

Hate seeing a petulant child like him getting his way...yet I love the NBA. Odd.

EDIT:
@KBergCBS
Orlando GM Rob Hennigan also trying to engage the Hawks, Rockets, Lakers and possibly Mavs in Howard talks. Full-court press.

@KBergCBS
The Brooklyn scenario isn't imminent, and it isn't the only one Orlando is working on, sources say.

Willbo
07-03-2012, 08:59 AM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

For Nets-Magic to progress on a Dwight Howard deal, a 3rd team needed to take Kris Humphries in a sign-and-trade, league source tells Y!

Wasnt this somebody's dream scenario?

Steagles
07-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Mine wilbo!

vnzla81
07-03-2012, 09:02 AM
There are talks that AK47 was also going to the Nets, Dwill, JJ, Wallace,AK47 and Howard? damn.

ejwallace
07-03-2012, 09:03 AM

For Nets-Magic to progress on a Dwight Howard deal, a 3rd team needed to take Kris Humphries in a sign-and-trade, league source tells Y!

Yes please, I would love to have a Humphries....

Steagles
07-03-2012, 09:04 AM
There are talks that AK47 was also going to the Nets, Dwill, JJ, Wallace,AK47 and Howard? damn.

Really? AK47? This could work for Brooklyn.

wintermute
07-03-2012, 09:06 AM

I realize he's the best at what he does but I'm not sure he's worth that. That's 3 good to very good players plus 3 unknown commodities in the picks in exchange for 1 very good to great player who appears to be more high maintenance than your average teenage girlfriend.

Very interesting. So the Nets are relying on Lopez and Humphries' cooperation in S&Ts. Seems very tricky to pull off.

If you're Lopez or Hump, why do you sit around and wait for a possible S&T? That can get torpedoed at any time if the other guy gets signed to a deal by another team? Wouldn't you rather look for your own FA deals in the market? Lopez at least is RFA, so he'll have to consider the possibility of Nets matching. But Hump is UFA. Note also that there are no longer financial advantages to a S&T vs signing with a team outright. Both Lopez and Hump will have to really want to go to Orlando (or to a third team that will provide assets to ORL) if they're going along with this.

wintermute
07-03-2012, 09:08 AM

We have the cap space to sign Humphries outright without having to give up assets in a S&T. There's no advantage to us to participate in this deal.

vnzla81
07-03-2012, 09:10 AM
We have the cap space to sign Humphries outright without having to give up assets in a S&T. There's no advantage to us to participate in this deal.

They will have to give us a pick for sure.

Aw Heck
07-03-2012, 09:16 AM
But who? All of Brooklyn's next few years of first round picks are going to Orlando. Unless you want Brooklyn's 2019 first round pick. Orlando sure as hell isn't going to send any of their first round picks. A second round pick isn't going to do it either.

2minutes twoa
07-03-2012, 09:19 AM

Not a bad idea! Sure, we'll do it, but you have to include one of those first round picks you're throwing around!

OlBlu
07-03-2012, 09:22 AM

They keep enough and you are talking about a superstar and the best center in the game and he is young. There were many teams that would have given up just about everyone to get him including Chicago who would give everyone not named Rose........:cool: Look at it this way, is Orlando a better team after this trade? I do not think that they are but they will be different.

Steagles
07-03-2012, 09:23 AM
Give me Torinke Sheingala and Humphries and I'll give Tyler or DC plus a second.

OlBlu
07-03-2012, 09:25 AM

By the way, if this happens, the Pacers just moved down a peg in the East.......:cool:

Jukeb0xHero
07-03-2012, 09:38 AM
hello

FlavaDave
07-03-2012, 09:39 AM
What about Tyler Hans and D Jones for Humphries? Orlando gets two expiring deals, we replace Hans with Humphries, Humphries basically replaces Hans and Jones on our cap so we still have 12 mil to find a replacement wing (obviously looking for a player in the 2-4 mil range).

Hans and Jones' spots in the rotation are two of our biggest weaknesses, right? We could upgrade them both with minimal cap impact.

_The_Future_
07-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Damn

Really?
07-03-2012, 09:40 AM
From what I heard Nets said it was over for Howard and he messed up everything when he signed his extension.

No need fro them to have to go through all this to get Dwight. I wonder how much tension there will be if they are not winning the games that they suspect they should win, Dwight has been acting like a real big baby lately.

Smits Happens
07-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Deron Williams
Joe Johnson
Gerald Wallace
?
Dwight Howard

So should they just go ahead and announce Billy King as Executive of the Year now or...?

That's something like $67 million for next season just for those four players. How would they fill out the rest of the roster?

Kstat
07-03-2012, 09:43 AM
the same way the Miami Heat did....

_The_Future_
07-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Well, if this is the case then we need to start making moves. Re-signing Hibbert is a MUST now.

Smits Happens
07-03-2012, 09:49 AM
the same way the Miami Heat did....

Miami's top four players in salary made $53 million last year, and the luxury tax penalities weren't as steep.

Kstat
07-03-2012, 09:50 AM
I'm pretty sure the Russian billionaire is more concerned with his new toy than he is about the luxury tax. He might be the only NBA owner that doesn't care.

Maybe he will in the future, but right now he wants to buy his way to an NBA title. If it costs him an extra $50 million in taxes, I honestly believe he'll do it anyway.

Smits Happens
07-03-2012, 09:53 AM
That's kind of what I was wondering. Luxury tax be damned!

Steagles
07-03-2012, 09:54 AM
I'm pretty sure the Russian billionaire is more concerned with his new toy than he is about the luxury tax. He might be the only NBA owner that doesn't care.

Maybe he will in the future, but right now he wants to buy his way to an NBA title. If it costs him an extra $50 million in taxes, I honestly believe he'll do it anyway.

They said on Mike and Mike this morning he makes $42M a DAY. I don't think he's too worried about that much in a year.

Really?
07-03-2012, 09:54 AM
That's something like $67 million for next season just for those four players. How would they fill out the rest of the roster?

Thing is they will have to do the trade before they sign D WIlliams or it won't happen.

Kstat
07-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Don't get me wrong, I think after 1-2 years of taking a beating, his enthusiasm will wear off. Right now, I think money is no object. The man wants a golden ball in his trophy case.

Slick Pinkham
07-03-2012, 01:29 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Orlando GM Rob Hennigan also trying to engage the Hawks, Rockets, Lakers and possibly Mavs in Howard talks. Full-court press.</p>&mdash; Ken Berger (@KBergCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/status/220134530940551168" data-datetime="2012-07-03T12:38:56+00:00">July 3, 2012</a></blockquote>
<script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Slick Pinkham
07-03-2012, 01:33 PM

As Orlando works to unload Dwight Howard, Magic focusing on Lakers' Andrew Bynum as top target, sources tell Y! Sports. Story soon on site

RLeWorm
07-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Lol the Nets Russian owner doesn't give a damn about the tax, he is a billionare

PacerPenguins
07-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA
RT @JRudolphSports Source: Lakers are prepared to offer Andrew Bynum and Metta World Peace for Dwight Howard, provided DH signs extension.

Kraft
07-03-2012, 01:55 PM
I have to think the story posted on ESPN is purely speculation.

The biggest problem is that it make no sense for Orlando. Taking on possibly bad contracts in Lopez and Humphries along with getting nothing close to a franchise-stabilizing player. And then a bunch of picks in the 20s. Problem two is it assumes both of those Nets players want to play in Orlando. That only makes sense if they're overpaid, and then we're back to the first problem.

CableKC
07-03-2012, 02:13 PM
I am surprised that the Magic aren't forcing any Team to take on Hedo, JRich, Duhon or QRich in any deal.

EDIT - Nevermind......it looks like JRich will likely have a one-way ticket mailed to him if Dwight is sent packing.

https://twitter.com/BQRMagic/statuses/220223176746090499

Report: Magic will try to offload JRich in any Dwight trade http://sbn.to/KYzB0f

That's $25 mil in outgoing salary that any Team has to match in order to take on Dwight.

CableKC
07-03-2012, 02:16 PM
I have to think the story posted on ESPN is purely speculation.

The biggest problem is that it make no sense for Orlando. Taking on possibly bad contracts in Lopez and Humphries along with getting nothing close to a franchise-stabilizing player. And then a bunch of picks in the 20s. Problem two is it assumes both of those Nets players want to play in Orlando. That only makes sense if they're overpaid, and then we're back to the first problem.
At this point, I think that the Magic are re-tooling...not rebuilding. Remember.....you can't rebuild if you have huge long-term contracts like Hedo and JRich on the books. They are in the position to do what the Nuggets did when they lost Marsh-Melo....they got back a huge influx of talent that allowed them to remain competitive and be a Playoff Team.

Getting Lopez, Marshon Brooks, draft picks and whatever Humphries can get the Magic would be a good start.

xBulletproof
07-04-2012, 01:00 AM
This thing with the Nets is a mess, and I never saw it as much of a possibility. You're talking about S&T'ing multiple people at once. They have to agree to salaries that will match the rest of the salaries in the trades, so you have to convince them to split the salary between them in a way that makes them both happy, and you have to find them homes they want to go to.

I guess it's not impossible, but it's highly unlikely.

HC
07-04-2012, 01:05 AM
I really dislike Dwight Howard. That is all.

jeffg-body
07-04-2012, 01:54 AM
Damn that is a lot to give for DH in my opinion. Lopez and Humphries may not be all-star caliber talent but I'd take either one over Tyler. I have never been too high on DH myself. Yes, he is very good but also he is like a high maintenance girlfriend. Add the rest of the Nets team needs and I don't see them having much of a bench at all. Adding Brooks to me is over the top. He is young and only going to get better. I'd love to see him in a Pacers uni myself. Add the three 1st rounders and I am amazed. What happens if DH is injured for a significant amount of time. Who do they throw out to back him up? If they end up losing him from Injury for a significant amount of time, Orlando might be looking at a lottery pick in that year. He already is showing some decline with the recent back surgery. He is only gonna start having physical issues the way he takes a beating from opposing teams down in the paint. I think it is a good trade for Orlando and the start of rebuilding their team.

Lance George
07-04-2012, 02:34 AM
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w508/fishfan2/dwight11.gif

Mourning
07-04-2012, 07:17 AM
The Nets won't win the east this year. They aren't wade and lebron, they still need more pieces, like a 4 and some bench. What are the odds Orlando doesnt want Humphries? Because I do..

I don't in ANYWAY would want to help the Nets achieve their goal to sign Dwight, so no thanks to Humphries. And to the topic opener: you do that trade as New Jersey without a moment of hesitation. It's really a no-brainer IMHO. The question is though why Orlando would do this? Humphries and Lopez will command a good portion of their capspace aswell and they aren't in a good position salarywise as it is.

Probably because Howard is telling every other team he is not going to sign with them. Screwed up... thats what that is IF true.

15th parallel
07-04-2012, 07:38 AM
Dwight Howard is such a d-bag.

Anyway, I think the best deal Orlando should consider is to trade for Bynum. He's got better value that any of the Nets can offer, at the same time they'll not help a team at the same conference. If only Howard is not such a demanding POS, he would have already joined the Nets without this drama..

OlBlu
07-04-2012, 08:32 AM
I don't in ANYWAY would want to help the Nets achieve their goal to sign Dwight, so no thanks to Humphries. And to the topic opener: you do that trade as New Jersey without a moment of hesitation. It's really a no-brainer IMHO. The question is though why Orlando would do this? Humphries and Lopez will command a good portion of their capspace aswell and they aren't in a good position salarywise as it is.

Probably because Howard is telling every other team he is not going to sign with them. Screwed up... thats what that is IF true.

What is screwed up about that? He has the power and he should use it to go where he wants to go. If the team had the power, they would send him somewhere they wanted him to go... Howard played himself into this position and he should take advantage of it. It will be a long time before he gets there again if ever........:cool:

Kstat
07-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Howard should not be obligated to give a list if teams he would re sign with. if that kills his trade value, so be it, but that is %100 fair. If he has his heart set on playing for the nets after this year, then he shouldn't have to agree to an extension with another team.

That said, Howard has conducted himself like a petulant child, and he deserves what he gets.

Sollozzo
07-04-2012, 10:03 AM
If the Nets somehow get Howard and develop into a true contender, I wonder how popular they will become? Surely they would steal some casual fans away from the Knicks, particularly those fans that live in Brooklyn and Queens.

Steagles
07-04-2012, 11:52 AM
If the Nets somehow get Howard and develop into a true contender, I wonder how popular they will become? Surely they would steal some casual fans away from the Knicks, particularly those fans that live in Brooklyn and Queens.

They'll probably already get Brooklyn and some Queens, Staten Island and Manhattan fans that are tired of the Knicks crap.

Steagles
07-04-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm watching the Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest, and they interviewed a guy from Brooklyn and asked if he was a Knicks fan, and he said "I was until the NETS moved to BROOKLYN!". So, yes, the Knicks are losing fans in Brooklyn.

Banta
07-13-2012, 10:06 AM
Orlando sure is in an unenviable position. They don't want Dwight and he doesn't want them, but no one is willing to really pony up for him. Houston is apparently still trying but it sure seems to me like Orlando thinks Dwight is worth way more than anyone is ready to pay. The best offer has already come and gone. It wouldn't surprise me to just see him walk next summer.

BRushWithDeath
07-13-2012, 11:23 AM
There are 2, maybe 3 players in the NBA who have more value than Dwight. Orlando should be asking for more than the ****** deal that New Jersey was offering.

I still don't understand why Orlando doesn't just send him out for Andrew Bynum. If you can't have the best center in the game, at least get the second best one and whatever else can be packaged with him.

Banta
07-13-2012, 01:39 PM
There are 2, maybe 3 players in the NBA who have more value than Dwight. Orlando should be asking for more than the ****** deal that New Jersey was offering.

I still don't understand why Orlando doesn't just send him out for Andrew Bynum. If you can't have the best center in the game, at least get the second best one and whatever else can be packaged with him.

By definition, value is what someone is willing to pay. Having said that, I understand your perspective but disagree because it only pertains to what you get on the court. Knucklehead factor is off the charts with this guy. He's more high maintenance than the worst girlfriend imaginable. A friend and I discussed this the other day and the problem with Dwight is that he's never had to be a man. He'd full grown and possibly the strongest athlete in the NBA, but that doesn't mean he ever learned to be a man.