PDA

View Full Version : I tell myself Portland's max offer is still 4M a year less than what we paid JO in 2003

Reginald
07-02-2012, 09:02 AM
At the very least, it helps me get to sleep at night. :)

BRushWithDeath
07-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Roy Hibbert isn't nearly as good as JO was when he signed that contract.

yoadknux
07-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Nice comparison, except...
JO avged 19/10.5/2.3 and 20.8/10.3/2.3 before he got his contract, was a 2 times all-star, I think won MIP too, was great during the playoffs (22.8/17.5/3 !!!!!!!!!!!) was a young, rising legit franchise player.
Hibbert.. 12.7/7.5/1.8 and 12.8/8.8/2. One time all-star. Legit franchise player?..

Even if you don't look at stats, JO was something special. He had a combination of size, athleticism and shooting that big guys dream about. JO was dominating, on both ends.
Hibbert is... Hibbert. An above average center that has decent production but plays limited minutes because of conditioning.

I'd gladly take prime JO with his horrid contract all-over again then have Hibbert maxed. At least we would be legit contenders with no cap space. Better than pretenders with no cap space.

Mourning
07-02-2012, 09:50 AM
That's not a fair comparison IF only because the max JO would receive today, in the same circumstances, would be different then what he received back in 2003 and thus the max Roy would receive today is also vastly different then what he would have received if it were 2003 with the same circumstances as today.

Either way I think we have to match. I see it as big, but not franchise crippling huge not too mention Roy gives us an advantage at a position over atleast 70% of the other teams, also the position hardest to fill with quality players.

Now Hill and his (probably) 8+ million $ request... that's an entirely differen matter IMHO.

naptownmenace
07-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Nice comparison, except...
JO avged 19/10.5/2.3 and 20.8/10.3/2.3 before he got his contract, was a 2 times all-star, I think won MIP too, was great during the playoffs (22.8/17.5/3 !!!!!!!!!!!) was a young, rising legit franchise player.
Hibbert.. 12.7/7.5/1.8 and 12.8/8.8/2. One time all-star. Legit franchise player?..

Even if you don't look at stats, JO was something special. He had a combination of size, athleticism and shooting that big guys dream about. JO was dominating, on both ends.
Hibbert is... Hibbert. An above average center that has decent production but plays limited minutes because of conditioning.

I'd gladly take prime JO with his horrid contract all-over again then have Hibbert maxed. At least we would be legit contenders with no cap space. Better than pretenders with no cap space.

Great post!

clicky2
07-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but overall it equals out to around nearly 70 million, and three years less than JO was guaranteed.