PDA

View Full Version : Chris Kaman Visiting Pacers Today

PR07
07-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Sources: Chris Kaman visits with Pacers tomorrow. Solid, affordable alternative to suddenly über-pricy Roy Hibbert.

-Ric Bucher Tweet

Pacerfan
07-02-2012, 12:18 AM
I love it!

Roy wants to go talk to other teams; well Pacers can talk to other centers.

They will keep Roy but can't give him all the leverage.

Hicks
07-02-2012, 12:23 AM
If Roy's gone, we could do a lot worse, but don't for a second think this is six of one, half dozen of another. More like 70 cents on the dollar. If Kaman commands 10m or more, you're just overspending relatively the same amount on a smaller scale for a lesser player.

Kstat
07-02-2012, 12:26 AM
Kaman replaces Roy on offense but does nothing close on defense. Not to mention, he's 30 and has had one injury-free season since 2007.

Theoretically, he's an ideal 3rd big right now (I was campaigning to get him to eventually back up Drummond), but I wouldn't trust him to be a starter on a contending team.

Pacerized
07-02-2012, 12:34 AM
I like this and I still want us to match Roy's offer. If we know we can't land Williams and Nash falls through then Kaman is the best option for us. We could keep him since he can play both 4 and 5 and it puts us in a better position to trade for a position of need since we'll have the depth in the front court to do it.
If all we did was to add Kaman in the offseason to our current roster then we're a better team due to the mismatches it creates in our favor.
We almost have to upgrade our roster with our cap space no matter what even if it's to give us talent for a trade later in the summer.
At worse he's the best possible option we'll be able to land at center if we lose Roy.

tadscout
07-02-2012, 12:34 AM
Kaman replaces Roy on offense but does nothing close on defense. Not to mention, he's 30 and has had one injury-free season since 2007.

Theoretically, he's an ideal 3rd big right now (I was campaigning to get him to eventually back up Drummond), but I wouldn't trust him to be a starter on a contending team.

We still have cap space to sign a quality player before we would match/sign our RFA.

Seems like we are doing due diligence to make sure we add one more key piece to what we have (Kaman, B. Roy, Mayo, ect...)

If we keep Hibbert, and sign Kaman, I'd think we would have one of the best 3 man rotations at PF/C in the league.

LA_Confidential
07-02-2012, 12:37 AM
Kicking the tires, due diligence, playing the game, shooting the **** or whatever else cliche phrase you wanna thow out there. Point is we won't be signing Kaman unless its for the mid level to be Roys back up.

Kstat
07-02-2012, 12:39 AM
We still have cap space to sign a quality player before we would match/sign our RFA.

Seems like we are doing due diligence to make sure we add one more key piece to what we have (Kaman, B. Roy, Mayo, ect...)

If we keep Hibbert, and sign Kaman, I'd think we would have one of the best 3 man rotations at PF/C in the league.
In theory, I'd agree with that, but 'm not sure thats what theyre doing.

PacersHomer
07-02-2012, 12:40 AM
This makes me way more nervous that Walsh and Pritchard are imbeciles who aren't going to sign Hibbert.

Pacerized
07-02-2012, 12:43 AM
Kicking the tires, due diligence, playing the game, shooting the **** or whatever else cliche phrase you wanna thow out there. Point is we won't be signing Kaman unless its for the mid level to be Roys back up.

I disagree, if we fail to land Nash or Williams Kaman is the only free agent left that really makes us better. I could see a scenerio where we keep Hibbert and still offer Kaman 3/32 or 4/40. Where ever Kaman signs he'll get 10 mil plus.

Hicks
07-02-2012, 12:43 AM
My question is: Where will Kaman end up as a starter for a contract more in line with what he could realistically expect to get? I mean obviously he could go start for Miami, but he's worth more than what they could pay him. Where could he go, start, and get paid what he's worth?

tadscout
07-02-2012, 12:47 AM
My question is: Where will Kaman end up as a starter for a contract more in line with what he could realistically expect to get? I mean obviously he could go start for Miami, but he's worth more than what they could pay him. Where could he go, start, and get paid what he's worth?

Full value? Only can think of NOLA (well and Cha, *snicker*)

Pacerized
07-02-2012, 12:47 AM

Any team that's under the cap without a top center. I though Houston would go after him but I expect Portland to when they fail to get Roy. A lot of bad teams could do it but he doesn't make sense for a team like the Cats.

Kstat
07-02-2012, 12:48 AM

Kaman at most right now is probably worth $8-9 million, which he could get from Indiana, Dallas, New Jersey, possibly Toronto (if they get Nash), or Denver.

vnzla81
07-02-2012, 12:48 AM

Celtics could be perfect for him, OkC could replace Perkings for him and finally get some interior offense, San Antonio?

Kstat
07-02-2012, 12:50 AM
The Celtics won't have much cap room left after they pay KG and Allen.

Hicks
07-02-2012, 01:01 AM
Kaman at most right now is probably worth $8-9 million, which he could get from Indiana, Dallas, New Jersey, possibly Toronto (if they get Nash), or Denver.

That's what I'm suspecting, and if it's closer to 8 I'd be up for him coming here to backup Roy and maybe even play with him in some cases unless we improve the backup 4. If he'd want to do it. I was assuming someone else could offer him that much AND a starting spot. But I'm not sure who that is. I guess Portland if we keep Roy.

LA_Confidential
07-02-2012, 01:02 AM
I disagree, if we fail to land Nash or Williams Kaman is the only free agent left that really makes us better. I could see a scenerio where we keep Hibbert and still offer Kaman 3/32 or 4/40. Where ever Kaman signs he'll get 10 mil plus.

Dude is not making 10mill anywhere.

Pacers
07-02-2012, 01:03 AM
Are we able to sign an assload of free agents, use up every dollar we are under the cap, and then match any offer made to Roy and Hill?

LA_Confidential
07-02-2012, 01:06 AM
Are we able to sign an assload of free agents, use up every dollar we are under the cap, and then match any offer made to Roy and Hill?

Yes!

PR07
07-02-2012, 01:06 AM
Maybe, he gets 9 million for a bad team that has to overpay like Charlotte, but that's a stretch.

However, I'm not sure I'm willing to pay him that kind of dough after handing out Roy a max level contract, so he can play backup minutes. That's a lot of money tied up in the center position, and we just took Plumlee (who even if I don't have much confidence in currently) at the age of 24 should be able to at least defend and rebound from the get-go theoretically.

Pacerized
07-02-2012, 01:07 AM
[QUOTE=Pacers;1469688]Are we able to sign an assload of free agents, use up every dollar we are under the cap, and then match any offer made to Roy and Hill?[/QUOTE

Only if they all suck and play for nothing. We're able to sign 1 good free agent that will improve the team and IMO the only 3 ufa that could do that are Williams, Nash, and Kaman. After that any big man or pg is just another role player that doesn't help the team. I'd rather have Nash or of course Williams since they fill a need and really improve the team more, but Kaman is a nice 3rd. choice if it comes to that.

Pacers
07-02-2012, 01:08 AM
Yes!

Well, hell, in that case, bring me your finest meats and cheeses! Give me Kaman! Give me Roy! Give me Gordon! Give me Crawford! Give me everyone! Screw the future, we gotta go now!

LA_Confidential
07-02-2012, 01:11 AM

Not only this but we will still he able to use our MLE and will be able to sign players to the league minimum.

tadscout
07-02-2012, 01:12 AM
Well, hell, in that case, bring me your finest meats and cheeses! Give me Kaman! Give me Roy! Give me Gordon! Give me Crawford! Give me everyone! Screw the future, we gotta go now!

Well there is a limit... we won't go over the luxury tax.

HC
07-02-2012, 01:46 AM
Kris Humphries would be better.

CableKC
07-02-2012, 01:54 AM
If Roy's gone, we could do a lot worse, but don't for a second think this is six of one, half dozen of another. More like 70 cents on the dollar. If Kaman commands 10m or more, you're just overspending relatively the same amount on a smaller scale for a lesser player.
If all else fails, we are truly desperate and are forced to make a run at Kaman.....if he could be had for $9 mil a year for 3 or 4 seasons....I'd be okay with that....but at $10 mil or more...I agree.....I'd rather spend more $$$ on Hibbert.

CableKC
07-02-2012, 01:56 AM
Kris Humphries would be better.
Not as a Center. He's more like an athletic version of Foster that thinks he can score....who was more like a PF that can pretend to be a Center.

rexnom
07-02-2012, 02:01 AM
We have Plumlee, don't need Kaman.

CableKC
07-02-2012, 02:05 AM
We have Plumlee, don't need Kaman.
Why is this green?

Although it is easy to continually joke about this....if we didn't play Miles 10-15mpg consistently, then there would be no point to have drafted him in the first place. I would be stunned if he didn't fill the Lou Amundson role on this Team going forward.

As many have suggested, this is the Pacers FO doing their "due dillagence" just in case if the Pacers don't decide to match.

presto123
07-02-2012, 02:11 AM
Why is this green?

Although it is easy to continually joke about this....if we didn't play Miles 10-15mpg consistently, then there would be no point to have drafted him in the first place. I would be stunned if he didn't fill the Lou Amundson role on this Team going forward.

As many have suggested, this is the Pacers FO doing their "due dillagence" just in case if the Pacers don't decide to match.

In Plumlee's workout vid it looked like he had a nice mid range jumper. A lot nicer looking than Hibbert's. Is that just because they edited out all his missed shots or I wonder if he can develop this. We desperately need another big who can hit the mid range shot besides David West.

CableKC
07-02-2012, 02:18 AM
In Plumlee's workout vid it looked like he had a nice mid range jumper. A lot nicer looking than Hibbert's. Is that just because they edited out all his missed shots or I wonder if he can develop this. We desperately need another big who can hit the mid range shot besides David West.
I agree......if you want improved and consistent scoring from another Big outside of Hibbert and West...then send Hansbrough packing and make a run at Landry.

But as I said....I fully expect Miles to simply fill Amundson's role in the lineup...I'm not expecting him to be a scoring Backup Center. I am pretty sure that we will be going into the season with a Starting lineup of West at the PF spot ( with Hansbrough backing him up ) and Hibbert at the Center Spot ( with Miles backing him up ).

If Hansbrough continues to struggle....I can honestly see Miles sharing the floor with West more while taking up a small # of minutes from Hansbrough.

3rdStrike
07-02-2012, 02:46 AM

With nobody to get them the ball. :(

Nuntius
07-02-2012, 05:52 AM
but I wouldn't trust him to be a starter on a contending team.

Without Roy we won't be a contending team anyway.

Brinocerous
07-02-2012, 08:24 AM
I would love to see Kaman in blue n gold backing up Roy and West. If this is what it takes to put an end to Hansboro's spaz-ball, I'm all for it.

Speed
07-02-2012, 08:31 AM
Things are getting ugly.... :D

Don't forget to tip your waiters and waitesses.

HC
07-02-2012, 08:55 AM
Not as a Center. He's more like an athletic version of Foster that thinks he can score....who was more like a PF that can pretend to be a Center.

Dude had himself a hell of season, he can flat out ball and plays defense. 29 double doubles last year by my count, and plenty of other games that were very close to it.

Gamble1
07-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Dude had himself a hell of season, he can flat out ball and plays defense. 29 double doubles last year by my count, and plenty of other games that were very close to it.

You guys really need to look at who he is playing with. Dwill makes everyone better and Humphries scoring is a direct result of garbage baskets and superior passing of Dwill. Nothing more nothing less. His rebounds are legit however and his defense is better than most. His points are however inflated.

Gamble1
07-02-2012, 09:43 AM

Was he really hurt last year or was it a ruse to trade him.

Kaman would be worth 10 million a year and for the most part I see someone ponying up that type of money for him. He is a former all star that could be had for slightly more money than Dalembert or Kwame with a lot more production.

Justin Tyme
07-02-2012, 10:58 AM

Portland, NO, GS, Rockets are possibles.

BigAndy
07-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Is it possible that we are looking at alternatives to Hibbert, even though we are planning on matching Portland at the moment, just in case we are able to get lucky and get someone like Deron Williams or Eric Gordon, then not be able to afford Hibbert?

Hicks
07-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Portland, NO, GS, Rockets are possibles.

Portland if Roy doesn't go there, okay.

Not New Orleans if Davis is a center. Not Golden State with Andrew Bogut. Not Houston with Omer Asik.

mrknowname
07-02-2012, 11:11 AM
one guy i'd like to see the pacers try to get is cole aldrich from okc.

PacersHomer
07-02-2012, 02:01 PM
I hope his visit is terrible and traffic is bad.

Sandman21
07-02-2012, 02:17 PM

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/4/1240265992468.jpg

vnzla81
07-02-2012, 02:28 PM
I wonder if we are going to get some inside info from Wells from this meeting, anybody else knows if Kaman is meeting with some other teams?

Naptown_Seth
07-02-2012, 02:30 PM
...said Larry Bird.

zing

diamonddave00
07-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Chris Kaman and another free agent signed with difference between what it would cost for Roy Hibbert and what Kaman would sign here for might be something Walsh and Pritchard are considering.

Even Wells today on the Grady and Big Joe show said if Kaman had been acquired at the deadline , Pacer brass saw him on the court at the end of games not Hibbert. Seems to say Pacers higher ups don't see Big Roy as a player you play at crunch time. Not a ringing endorcement of Hibbert being matched and paid 14.5 a year.

PR07
07-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Chris Kaman and another free agent signed with difference between what it would cost for Roy Hibbert and what Kaman would sign here for might be something Walsh and Pritchard are considering.

Even Wells today on the Grady and Big Joe show said if Kaman had been acquired at the deadline , Pacer brass saw him on the court at the end of games not Hibbert. Seems to say Pacers higher ups don't see Big Roy as a player you play at crunch time. Not a ringing endorcement of Hibbert being matched and paid 14.5 a year.

I guess that's the issue, not so much the savings, but what the Pacers plan on doing with the savings. Do they add Kaman + a secondary piece off the bench like a Mayo or Bass? Or do they use the savings as part of a larger enticing offer for the likes of an Eric Gordon or Steve Nash? If they sit on their hands and do nothing with it, that will be the worst case scenario.

Slick Pinkham
07-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Cole Aldrich? Yikes.

The Thunder are bringing in Hasheem Thabeet as a possible upgrade, meaning they decided "our bust is so bad that maybe their bust is better"

mrknowname
07-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Cole Aldrich? Yikes.

The Thunder are bringing in Hasheem Thabeet as a possible upgrade, meaning they decided "our bust is so bad that maybe their bust is better"

thabeet is taking nazr mohammeds spot iirc. aldrich will backup perkins

per36 he's 11pts, 10rbs, 3blks

vnzla81
07-02-2012, 04:12 PM
@stevekylerNBA: RT @matth3wbak3r: did kaman meet w the pacers? Any outcome? ---> No reported offer if that's what you are asking.

Hypnotiq
07-02-2012, 10:57 PM
Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo
Hornets free agent C Chris Kaman had positive meeting with the Pacers' brass over dinner tonight in Indy, but no offer made, source tells Y!

spreedom
07-02-2012, 11:02 PM
I'd love to get Aldrich if he could be had for a couple of second-round picks. I think he has tremendous potential as a 20-25mpg defensive anchor.

vnzla81
07-02-2012, 11:23 PM
@ESPNSteinLine: He will be meeting with more teams, but I'm told @ChrisKaman and size-seeking Pacers hit it off during an all-day meeting Monday in Indy

PacerPenguins
07-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
He will be meeting with more teams, but I'm told @ChrisKaman and size-seeking Pacers hit it off during an all-day meeting Monday in Indy

:censored:

Lance George
07-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Hopefully the interest is in strengthening our bench, not replacing Hibbert.

RLeWorm
07-02-2012, 11:26 PM
man we suck at FA

vnzla81
07-02-2012, 11:30 PM
@ESPNSteinLine: Pacers known to be seeking C to replace Roy Hibbert if they elect not to match Blazer offer sheet. Kaman known to want to join playoff team

Willbo
07-02-2012, 11:41 PM
If signing Kaman is with a view to playing him as Hibbert's backup I am all for it. Doesn't address our primary weakness which was getting the ball to our bigs (slightly ahead of a dribble penetrator) but it makes us big and scary for opposing teams.

If he is being courted with a view to being a Hibbert replacement, well, I would hope it is part of something greater and at a massive discount. By Massive discount, Id be thinking something that falls outside the realms of reality, ala, 50% of Hibbert 3/21 or something. Which it wont be. If it was 10mill per I just couldnt see the point in the talent/age trade down. In fact, unless it is the precursor to a trade in which we make a significant talent upgrade I cannot see the point. I suspect the same goes for Walsh/Pritchard and as such it is either a natural step in the bargaining process or the realisation of a (FO Opinion) superior post-hibbert pacers line-up.

Otherwise, why take the PR hit?

DrFife
07-02-2012, 11:55 PM
@ESPNSteinLine: Pacers known to be seeking C to replace Roy Hibbert if they elect not to match Blazer offer sheet. Kaman known to want to join playoff team

Okay, time for an ephedrine-laced sunshiner thought. :sunshine:

Let's say that re-signing Hibbert is a given. Further, LET'S SAY that Larry, Jeff Foster & TPTB are right about Chumlee. (Vnzla, I love your name "Plummet," but that's inherently negative. Let's stay positive here.) Moreover, let's say that (like a young Foster) he's athletic enough to play a defensive role at PF as well as at C. Using him as the backup PF, however, might imply that we need some inside scoring at C.

Thus the question: Assuming we re-sign Hibbert, then between Brandon Bass and Chris Kaman, who would you rather see us sign? (And does your answer depend on whether we keep or trade Hans?)

eldubious
07-03-2012, 12:19 AM
I'm all for Kaman if it means getting Gordon, but other than that just pay Hibbert and get Mayo.

vnzla81
07-03-2012, 12:29 AM
@ChrisKaman: Long day today, back in MI and off to bed......

@ChrisKaman: Sure guess a number 1 to 2 @CarolNChalmette: @ChrisKaman can we play one of those twitter guessing games?

Young
07-03-2012, 12:35 AM
I am fine with letting Roy walk if he won't take less than the max. He is not a max player in this league.

Kaman certainly isn't my first choice but the Pacers could do much worse. He is more offense and little defense. I would rather see the Pacers replace Roy with more defense and little offense.

CableKC
07-03-2012, 02:07 AM
Okay, time for an ephedrine-laced sunshiner thought. :sunshine:

Let's say that re-signing Hibbert is a given. Further, LET'S SAY that Larry, Jeff Foster & TPTB are right about Chumlee. (Vnzla, I love your name "Plummet," but that's inherently negative. Let's stay positive here.) Moreover, let's say that (like a young Foster) he's athletic enough to play a defensive role at PF as well as at C. Using him as the backup PF, however, might imply that we need some inside scoring at C.

Thus the question: Assuming we re-sign Hibbert, then between Brandon Bass and Chris Kaman, who would you rather see us sign? (And does your answer depend on whether we keep or trade Hans?)
If the option is to choose either Bass or Kaman......I'd go with Bass....purely for $$$ reasons. I think that he'd come cheaper than Kaman and I think that he'd Bass could play with both Hibbert, West and Miles.

Unfortunately, trading Hansbrough is a given....both for SalaryCap reasons and simply to clear roster space in the Frontcourt.