PDA

View Full Version : David West's expiring contract

mattie
07-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Thoughts?

What can the Pacers get from that?

I have a lot of suggestions but figured I'd let everyone else go before I start pluggin' my wild trade ideas.

joew8302
07-01-2012, 03:15 PM
The franchise needs to figure out what the prerogatives are. If we are going to be competitive we need to match Roy and try to match/resign Hill and see whats left.

If we want to rebuild we let Roy walk, and then at that point it might make sense to move West and his expiring deal.

Hicks
07-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Why would we trade him?

Steagles
07-01-2012, 03:16 PM
What can the Pacers get from that?.

The $10 mil off the books (along with Dahntay's 3) to make a run at Monta Ellis, James Harden, or Serge Ibaka

croz24
07-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Why would we trade him?

Because he could possibly be used to acquire cheaper or younger talent? West is good, but by no means is he irreplaceable.

troyc11a
07-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Because he could possibly be used to acquire cheaper or younger talent? West is good, but by no means is he irreplaceable.

If anyone of the team deserves to be extended it is West. No way he is traded!!!!!

vnzla81
07-01-2012, 03:30 PM
We let expiring contracts expire this is Indiana.

Heisenberg
07-01-2012, 03:34 PM
We let expiring contracts expire this is Indiana.

Just ask Troy Murphy

mattie
07-01-2012, 03:35 PM
You can't pay everyone on the team, you have to make some cuts somewhere. Considering Roy is max Granger's roughly 14/mil a year contract, and the teams desperate need for legit scoring you just cannot count on giving up 10 mil to West going forward. West is this: average defender, poor rebounder and not a good enough offensive player to take advantage of Shane Battier defending him in the playoffs..

He brought a lot to this team last year. But I think he's in the way of this team acquiring the necessary talent to compete at the next level.

vnzla81
07-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Just ask Troy Murphy

One guy out of how many? who knows maybe things are different with Pritchard?

joew8302
07-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Why would we trade him?

Depends on the direction we go. If we chose not to bring back Roy then what sense does it make to keep West around?

Pacerfan
07-01-2012, 03:38 PM
West has his faults but he's been great for the team on the court and especially off it. Trading him after he did us a favor by signing for 2/20 would probably not be looked upon favorably by other free agents wanting to come sign here.

Eleazar
07-01-2012, 03:39 PM

How many players in the last year of their contracts that aren't superstars planning on leaving anyways actually get traded? 5% maybe? I don't know, but I doubt it is out of the single digits.

You don't build a championship team by trading away every asset as soon as their contract is about to expire.

PacersHomer
07-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Literally every single expiring contract should be traded, and if they aren't the team doesn't care about winning.

ilive4sports
07-01-2012, 03:44 PM
you do realize that contracts expiring rather than being traded is the norm right?

PR07
07-01-2012, 03:45 PM
Is Hansbrough starting then? :zip:

mattie
07-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Is Hansbrough starting then? :zip:

Granger, honestly. At this point in his career, that really might be his best position. He blocks shots, he can defend the 4 better than he can the three, his only real weakness is rebounding.

dal9
07-01-2012, 03:52 PM
...Your INDIANA PACERS 2012-3 Starting Line-up!!!!

C Miles Plumlee...
PF Tyler Hansbrough...
[faints]

troyc11a
07-01-2012, 03:59 PM
You can't pay everyone on the team, you have to make some cuts somewhere. Considering Roy is max Granger's roughly 14/mil a year contract, and the teams desperate need for legit scoring you just cannot count on giving up 10 mil to West going forward. West is this: average defender, poor rebounder and not a good enough offensive player to take advantage of Shane Battier defending him in the playoffs..

He brought a lot to this team last year. But I think he's in the way of this team acquiring the necessary talent to compete at the next level.

You also forgot to mention that West is the team's best player!

vnzla81
07-01-2012, 04:02 PM
you do realize that contracts expiring rather than being traded is the norm right?

Actually our norm has been to send players home so we don't even have the chance to trade them.

mattie
07-01-2012, 04:10 PM
You also forgot to mention that West is the team's best player!

http://www.82games.com/1112/11IND9.HTM

Every advanced statistic in the world suggests West is not. I think that's ridiculous. 82games suggests West is the 4th best player. Having watched every game, I'd say that is close to the truth.

Eleazar
07-01-2012, 04:21 PM

Every advanced statistic in the world suggests West is not. I think that's ridiculous. 82games suggests West is the 4th best player. Having watched every game, I'd say that is close to the truth.

I agree, those stats seem to pretty much fall in line with where I think every player ranks on this team during the regular season.

troyc11a
07-01-2012, 04:36 PM

Anyone watching the games seen who showed up and who didnt. Also West WAS THE BEST PLAYER down the stretch after his legs got under him. It is obsurd to want to trade the only man we have on the team!

PacersHomer
07-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Actually our norm has been to send players home so we don't even have the chance to trade them.

I don't think you understand what the word "norm" means.

Eleazar
07-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Anyone watching the games seen who showed up and who didnt. Also West WAS THE BEST PLAYER down the stretch after his legs got under him. It is obsurd to want to trade the only man we have on the team!

Yes, we all saw what happened when this team played an easier schedule, everyone looked better which was to be expected. Then everyone, except for Hibbert and Collison(whose improved play might have more to do with a role change), fell back down to where they were prior in the playoffs.

Kstat
07-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Teams serious about winning games do not deal one of their best 2-3 players for future cap space.

mattie
07-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Teams serious about winning games do not deal one of their best 2-3 players for future cap space.

I hope Detroit knows they better hold on to Maggette or they'll never win.

vnzla81
07-01-2012, 05:47 PM

Murphleavy disagrees with this...

Kstat
07-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Murphleavy disagrees with this...

I'm talking about good teams, not lottery fodder.

David west brought toughness and production to the pacers last season. Ship him off, and good luck replacing that.

mattie
07-01-2012, 06:01 PM
I'm talking about good teams, not lottery fodder.

David west brought toughness and production to the pacers last season. Ship him off, and good luck replacing that.

So Atlanta is making a mistake shopping JJ??

Kstat
07-01-2012, 06:02 PM
So Atlanta is making a mistake shopping JJ??

If it's a salary dump? yeah. That screams "rebuild" to me.

mattie
07-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Point is, Indiana doesn't have enough talent to compete. Either Granger, Roy or West's contract has to go and replaced with better talent. Which one?

Kstat
07-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Point is, Indiana doesn't have enough talent to compete. Either Granger, Roy or West's contract has to go and replaced with better talent. Which one?

Not enough talent? They were a point guard away from likely winning the east!

PR07
07-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Yes, we all saw what happened when this team played an easier schedule, everyone looked better which was to be expected. Then everyone, except for Hibbert and Collison(whose improved play might have more to do with a role change), fell back down to where they were prior in the playoffs.

I don't know if anyone really fell off, we just played the future NBA Champion Miami Heat, you'll have a hard time looking awesome against them.

mattie
07-01-2012, 06:06 PM
If it's a salary dump? yeah. That screams "rebuild" to me.

They aren't good enough to beat Miami and they don't have the cap space to improve. They also have one fat contract keeping them from adding additional talent. Obviously they are left with only one choice.

PR07
07-01-2012, 06:07 PM

I don't know if I buy this, the team still has some cap space to add a significant piece here without unloading anyone. If they were to add let's say Steve Nash, while re-signing Hibbs and Hill, and Paul George takes another leap forward, I think you're looking at a contender.

mattie
07-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Not enough talent? They were a point guard away from likely winning the east!

No, they're Deron williams away from winning the east.

Kstat
07-01-2012, 06:08 PM
They aren't good enough to beat Miami and they don't have the cap space to improve. They also have one fat contract keeping them from adding additional talent. Obviously they are left with only one choice.

Right. And when Josh smith leaves them for nothing next summer, they'll be left with al horford, Teague and basically nobody. That's called a rebuild.

If your opinion is that the pacers need to scrap the team and start over, then fine.

BornReady
07-01-2012, 06:09 PM
there's absolutely no reason we should even dream of giving up West - he played EXTRAORDINARILY well for us.

Kstat
07-01-2012, 06:10 PM
No, they're Deron williams away from winning the east.

They were a point guard that can walk and chew gum away from winning the east. How hard is it to throw over the top of a fronting defense to a 7'2" guy? Seriously...

mattie
07-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Right. And when Josh smith leaves them for nothing next summer, they'll be left with al horford, Teague and basically nobody. That's called a rebuild.

If your opinion is that the pacers need to scrap the team and start over, then fine.

Trying to flip one player for better talent isnt a rebuild!!!

You try to keep some cap flexibility until you acquire everyone you think you need.

Kstat
07-01-2012, 06:11 PM
But they aren't trying to flip him for better talent they're flipping him for cap room. Cap room does not equal better talent.

In addition, their 2nd best player has 1 year left and won't stick around if they aren't winning games. So now that's two quality players they've tossed away for nothing.

Eleazar
07-01-2012, 06:12 PM
They were a point guard that can walk and chew gum away from winning the east. How hard is it to throw over the top of a fronting defense to a 7'2" guy? Seriously...

Collison and Hill might be acceptable or even good back-up PG's, but neither should be considered starting PG's.

Pacerized
07-01-2012, 10:43 PM
I'd be fine if we extended him to another 2 year deal like the last one. On the other hand, isn't this the last year before the super tax kicks in on LT teams. If a team wanted to cut long term payroll and still get a very good player, West could be appealing to LA, Miami or Atlanta.

vnzla81
07-01-2012, 11:14 PM

And I thought we were gelling killed by Lebron, Dwade, Battie shutting down West and Roy getting abused inside by not been able to get in position against some scrubs....

Naptown_Seth
07-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Why would you trade West? Part of a salary dump is that you need the space for a rebuild as KStat said. The other part is that you think the guy won't resign. And maybe a third part is you think the guy isn't paid fairly.

West is paid fairly. He's the best low post scorer by far and he and Hill showed some of the best signs of clutch (DC as bench guy showed up late in the season as the 3rd, Danny started showing moments too).

And I don't mean this as a contradiction to my view on Roy. First I'd keep Roy at 5/60 in a heartbeat. It's 4/60 that worries me a little. And even still if they do sign him it's because they want to take a run with THIS GROUP. Heck, you let West finish out and start talking about how much he'd like to stay on as the PF.

LA_Confidential
07-01-2012, 11:34 PM
Sorry to burst bubbles but we aren't trading anyone unless its a significant upgrade to the roster. West has more value as a Pacer than he does as a trade chip. Just like Danny.

Hicks
07-01-2012, 11:48 PM

According to some, not only do they deal one of their best players for future cap space, they do that AND let another one walk out the front door for more precious cap space. You know, to win the east.

Miller_time04
07-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Trading west would be absolutely ridiculous.

mildlysane
07-02-2012, 12:19 AM
Trading west would be absolutely ridiculous.

Exactly...I wonder if some people even watched the Pacers this past year....

PacersHomer
07-02-2012, 12:34 AM
Exactly...I wonder if some people even watched the Pacers this past year....

The people who are going to be happy or content if Hibbert leaves obviously did not. Anyone wanted to trade West also did not.

jeffg-body
07-02-2012, 01:12 AM
If we ship off DW I will be so confused in what direction we would be headed. DW has a veteran presence that few on our team have. I think he will even be better this year and should come in better suited to what we are doing and also be much better conditioning wise. I hope we start talking to him about an extension for another year or two. If it came down to DW or Roy I would consider it. If we move DW and get little in return I will be super pissed.

CableKC
07-02-2012, 02:21 AM
I fully expect West to finish the 2012-2013 season as a Pacer.

Downtown Bang!
07-02-2012, 06:33 AM
Short of going all in and spending big this year by brining in Nash or Kaman or Mayo (and resigning Hibbert & Hill) I firmly believe the Pacers will be a 4-6 seed at the trade deadline next year. The Pacers are not real contenders yet and West is the kind of player that makes the Pacers very good against mediocre to poor teams but as currently contsructed he is not a difference maker against the Heat, Bulls, Celtics, Thunder etc.

Having said that if the right teams are in contention at next years trade deadline West could very well be in demand and young assets + cap space could be had if the FO plays their cards right. If a deal is there that has the potential to make you better/more flexible down the road it needs to get done. West isn't likely to be available at a price in 2013 and beyond that fits well with Hibberts contract, allows you to resign PG and fill other areas of need. West has been good for the Pacers but he is a bridge player not a vital piece on a legit championship run.

mildlysane
07-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Short of going all in and spending big this year by brining in Nash or Kaman or Mayo (and resigning Hibbert & Hill) I firmly believe the Pacers will be a 4-6 seed at the trade deadline next year. The Pacers are not real contenders yet and West is the kind of player that makes the Pacers very good against mediocre to poor teams but as currently contsructed he is not a difference maker against the Heat, Bulls, Celtics, Thunder etc.

Having said that if the right teams are in contention at next years trade deadline West could very well be in demand and young assets + cap space could be had if the FO plays their cards right. If a deal is there that has the potential to make you better/more flexible down the road it needs to get done. West isn't likely to be available at a price in 2013 and beyond that fits well with Hibberts contract, allows you to resign PG and fill other areas of need. West has been good for the Pacers but he is a bridge player not a vital piece on a legit championship run.
Disagree. He is a veteran player that you need to contend. I can imagine the Pacers' days in Indy being numbered if they are in a state of perpetually rebuilding. Now, if things go horribly wrong (injuries, off court issues, etc), then yeah, by all means move him for assets. But until then, dance with you brought you to the dance.

ChicagoJ
07-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Thoughts?

What can the Pacers get from that?

The best thing about David West's contract is that it is attached to David West the player who showed up and took the role of leading a bunch of unaccomplished young talented hotshots into a playoff run.

Without David West this is a #8 seed getting bounced quickly from the playoffs. Unless you think Granger, Collison, George or Tyler or even Hibbert showed much improvement in maturity, composure or mental toughness... because the main reason the TEAM showed more of those was because Bird brought it in from the outside with Hill and West.

BringJackBack
07-02-2012, 04:23 PM

And hopefully re-signed for cheaper.

troyc11a
07-02-2012, 04:38 PM

I also expect to see him extended for a couple more years. Down the stretch (after his knee either healed or he regained confidence in it), D West was probably our best player. When we needed a crucial basket it was thrown in to him as much as it was to Granger and he usually came thru. Not to mention the fact that he was the backbone of a team who doesnt even make the playoffs without him! He should be even better this coming season.

pacers74
07-02-2012, 09:34 PM
How can people want to trade D.West? He is the Dale Davis PF that everyone has wanted for the last 5 years. Do you trade D.Davis, your enforcer, no way.

dal9
07-05-2012, 03:26 AM
^ in theory you are right, but i gotta say he was not enforcing against the Heat