PDA

View Full Version : Pacers talking to Asik?

Banta
07-01-2012, 02:41 PM
No link, but maybe someone on Twitter could veriify this.

Hoopshype.com says that per Mike Wells' Twitter, the Pacers have reached out to Asik.

His per 36 rebounding numbers are nice, though he's not much of a scorer.

Heisenberg
07-01-2012, 02:44 PM
https://twitter.com/MikeWellsNBA/status/219488326036623361

The Pacers are already looking at other options at center. They've reached to out Omer Asik, who was with Chicago last season
http://sulia.com/channel/nba-free-agency-2012/f/929c71a4-606c-44f3-b6b7-49d4344cf018/?source=twitter

No, that does not mean the Pacers won't match Portland's offer to Hibbert. Time will tell on that. Pritchard and Walsh are just doing their job.

Don't want Roy at the max? Asik at 8+ million would just be so much fun.

ballism
07-01-2012, 02:45 PM
i'd assume just due diligence.

i'm surprised that everything is getting to the press though, what a change in management style.

maybe it's intentional? maybe this is Pritch telling Portland: "think before you offer Roy the max, because you are likely to end up paying it".

Steagles
07-01-2012, 02:46 PM
I'd take Asik at 8 mil and try a S&T with Hill and Hibbert for Lillard.

Heisenberg
07-01-2012, 02:47 PM
We also "reached out" to Jamal Crawford.

Gross.

ballism
07-01-2012, 02:48 PM
I'd take Asik at 8 mil and try a S&T with DC and Hibbert for Lillard.

i fear it would be one of those 'good job, good effort' moments. Way too pricy for a SnT.

pacer4ever
07-01-2012, 02:50 PM
I'd take Asik at 8 mil and try a S&T with Hill and Hibbert for Lillard.

Neil Olshey and Paul Allen laugh you off the phone with that offer. No way they trade Lillard.

Steagles
07-01-2012, 02:51 PM
i fear it would be one of those 'good job, good effort' moments. Way too pricy for a SnT.

I'd up it to include a future first and swap DC in for Hill if they wanted.

Steagles
07-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Neil Olshey and Paul Allen laugh you off the phone with that offer. No way they trade Lillard.

Again we don't have to do the S&T we could just match. Which I would prefer.

troyc11a
07-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Just thinking here, but is it possible to get Nash, Mayo, and a bruising Center for similar money that would be paid to Roy?
I am not familiar with Asik but he rebounds well for limited minutes and shouldnt be that expensive.
Personally, I would rather get bigs who protect the paint and rebound while the offense comes from the wings and point. OKC has a similar style which I really like.

tadscout
07-01-2012, 02:54 PM
i'd assume just due diligence.

i'm surprised that everything is getting to the press though, what a change in management style.

maybe it's intentional? maybe this is Pritch telling Portland: "think before you offer Roy the max, because you are likely to end up paying it".

It is due diligence...

The press leaks are probably at least 90% agents... our FO can't control what agents do.

vnzla81
07-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Asik and Plumlee? Please kill me now !!! :suicide:

ballism
07-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Just thinking here, but is it possible to get Nash, Mayo, and a bruising Center for similar money that would be paid to Roy?
I am not familiar with Asik but he rebounds well for limited minutes and shouldnt be that expensive.
Personally, I would rather get bigs who protect the paint and rebound while the offense comes from the wings and point. OKC has a similar style which I really like.
no. if we let Roy go, it only saves us ~5 mil of cap. it's basically Roy or a midlevel player.

troyc11a
07-01-2012, 03:01 PM
no. if we let Roy go, it only saves us ~5 mil of cap. it's basically Roy or a midlevel player.

Ok, is that because Roy has "Bird" rights? I mean 15 mill a year is a far cry from the $5 mill you just mentioned.

ballism
07-01-2012, 03:07 PM
It is due diligence...

The press leaks are probably at least 90% agents... our FO can't control what agents do.

well, you can just ask the agent to keep it low profile. they aren't obliged to listen, and the players themselves are chatty, but I'd guess you can limit the chatter.
but maybe the FO is more than fine with it. soon the Pacers will be getting more press than both NY teams combined, lol.

ballism
07-01-2012, 03:10 PM
Ok, is that because Roy has "Bird" rights? I mean 15 mill a year is a far cry from the $5 mill you just mentioned.

yes, that, combined with his very low rookie salary. The NBA "assumes" Roy is only going get 5 mil via his Bird rights because he was paid so little before. So he only counts for 5 mil until he gets resigned.

troyc11a
07-01-2012, 03:12 PM
yes, that, combined with his very low rookie salary. The NBA "assumes" Roy is only going get 5 mil via his Bird rights because he was paid so little before. So he only counts for 5 mil until he gets resigned.

But that 15mill per year would still be spent right? So theoretically the team could add more pieces if Roy left!

ballism
07-01-2012, 03:17 PM
But that 15mill per year would still be spent right? So theoretically the team could add more pieces if Roy left!

well, yes, but only over several years, via exceptions or trades.

PR07
07-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Just pay Roy. Asik's a nice player, but at that price, you might as well just pay Hibbert.

notque
07-01-2012, 03:45 PM
We could match Hibbert, and trade him to NO for Gordon... ?

Pacerfan
07-01-2012, 03:46 PM
One word: Leverage

Kevin Pritchard is a shrewd basketball mind who wants to win. He will do what needs to be done. This is why Larry only left after Pritchard was here for sure.

Donnie is good but he's just too old to be doing all these different angles and we know how he works. Pritchard has his hands all over this offseason and I for one am very happy. Also, if Larry is having his back surgery as planned, all this traveling, etc would be a lot for him to handle.

troyc11a
07-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Just pay Roy. Asik's a nice player, but at that price, you might as well just pay Hibbert.

At what price are you referring? Asik is not worth anywhere near what Roy is. Asik is about 3-4mill a year player. If he can get $8-9 mill yearly then he should get it somewhere else. I would rather overpay for Roy than a stiff.

HC
07-01-2012, 04:59 PM
I'd way rather have Humphries.

Ace E.Anderson
07-01-2012, 05:37 PM
We could match Hibbert, and trade him to NO for Gordon... ?

Per the new CBA, We can't do that for six months, or until right before the trade deadline. (Like with Nene last yr when he was traded to WSH)

granger
07-01-2012, 07:23 PM
I m telling you all guys, as Turk, who has been watching Asik for long time since he become Pro in our league, his defence far far superior then Roy obviously (man,help,pNr whatever). But also he is better then Roy those aspects; team player, doesnt ***** doesnt moan whatever the role he given, protect the rim whoever attacking, non-stop motor, agile, quick.. I know Bulls fans crying like, he doesnt have offence waa why Rockets offering that much money to him waa, but he actualy as a guy who start playing ball later then everybody, he made some nice improvment on his touch around basket and has couple of go to post moves. But they never give him ball on Bulls, I belive they just want to show him as limited rim protector, but as you see there are some clever scouts and GM's in this league. He is gona worth every penny.

LA_Confidential
07-01-2012, 07:32 PM
This is a classic case of "kicking the tires". As long as we have the option to match whatever offer Roy recieves, we will not waste 8mil on a center when that money can be used on a Point guard or additional wing help. If all else fails well sign a decent to good back up big using MLE money.

Lance George
07-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski (wojyahoonba) on Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA)

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Rockets have reached agreement with Omer Asik on a three-year, $25.1 million contract, league source tells Y! Sports.

$8.4M per.

Ace E.Anderson
07-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski (wojyahoonba) on Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA)

$8.4M per.

There goes that idea lol. Can't say I'm terribly disappointed

Steagles
07-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Now we need to pay Roy.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk

granger
07-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Smart move Morey. first year 5m second 5m third 14m, makes it hard for Bulls to match. But watch out, they are gona match it. Bulls might not be that smart but they know what Asik can brings to team. They ll amnestie Boozer sooner or later.

Steagles
07-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Smart move Morey. first year 5m second 5m third 14m, makes it hard for Bulls to match. But watch out, they are gona match it. Bulls might not be that smart but they know what Asik can brings to team. They ll amnestie Boozer sooner or later.

I bet they do, because they can add onto the cap so they can acquire a 2 later on by trading Boozer or another player.

granger
11-15-2012, 03:49 AM
I m telling you all guys, as Turk, who has been watching Asik for long time since he become Pro in our league, his defence far far superior then Roy obviously (man,help,pNr whatever). But also he is better then Roy those aspects; team player, doesnt ***** doesnt moan whatever the role he given, protect the rim whoever attacking, non-stop motor, agile, quick.. I know Bulls fans crying like, he doesnt have offence waa why Rockets offering that much money to him waa, but he actualy as a guy who start playing ball later then everybody, he made some nice improvment on his touch around basket and has couple of go to post moves. But they never give him ball on Bulls, I belive they just want to show him as limited rim protector, but as you see there are some clever scouts and GM's in this league. He is gona worth every penny.

They can have him. Never been fan of Roy. Taj Gibson or Omer Asik would give that production if they had same role and same touches.

Damn Pacers