PDA

View Full Version : The Pacers will make a bid for Steve Nash

Pages : [1] 2

naptownmenace
06-30-2012, 11:09 PM
Saturday, June 30 2012

David Aldridge: Knicks, Heat, Pacers, Raptors &?Suns expected to make their pitch to Steve Nash Sunday, per source. Not certain if all teams will be in NYC. Twitter
INDIANA PACERS, MIAMI HEAT, NEW YORK KNICKS, PHOENIX SUNS, TORONTO RAPTORS, FREE AGENCY, STEVE NASH* | *SHARE *

http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/indiana_pacers

https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/daldridgetnt

Sandman21
06-30-2012, 11:10 PM
http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?73529-Nash-s-Next-Move-%28Hollinger-ESPN-Insider-column%29

LA_Confidential
06-30-2012, 11:13 PM
This could be a home run of an offseason for the Pacers. Adding Nash, Re Signing Hibbert adding depth using MLE, trades, etc. We could be stacked and ready to roll going in to the season.

Kstat
06-30-2012, 11:15 PM
Id offer him whatever was left over from hibbert and hill. What's the point in keeping it? It's nit like it would be more than a 3 year investment anyhow.

ECKrueger
06-30-2012, 11:15 PM
This is all I ask for: an attempt.

naptownmenace
06-30-2012, 11:20 PM
This is all I ask for: an attempt.

I think they have a very good shot at getting him. They can offer him a decent contract and an opportunity to compete with Miami for a chance at winning a title.

Like you, I'm just glad they're getting the opportunity and making the effort to try and get him!

PacerPenguins
06-30-2012, 11:22 PM
Hey if they got David West to come here over Boston then I have faith in our FO

PacersHomer
06-30-2012, 11:22 PM
We offer him the best combination of a chance to win and money. We are the perfect destination if those are his top 2 reasons.

Steagles
06-30-2012, 11:23 PM
I think they have a very good shot at getting him. They can offer him a decent contract and an opportunity to compete with Miami for a chance at winning a title.

Like you, I'm just glad they're getting the opportunity and making the effort to try and get him!

I honestly think it will come down to if he wants to go home (Portland or Toronto) or to win (Miami or Here). If he chooses winning, then play off the ball nearly half the time (Miami) or hardly ever (here). If he chooses winning, Indiana also has the money advantage.

Pacerized
06-30-2012, 11:25 PM
I won't be mad if we try and fail as long as we try. If we know for certain that Williams wouldn't consider us then this is the right move.
What would make me mad would be for us to simply sign Hibbert and Hill right away and kiss our cap space goodbye without trying to improve the team first.
We could even make a quick trade with Jones for a 2cd to have the space to match Torontos offer. I'd hope that 10 mil per for 3 years on a winning time with a chance to compete for a title would trump 12 mil in purgatory.

PacerPenguins
06-30-2012, 11:25 PM
man i just gives me goosebumps even thinking about the possibility of hime coming here...

naptownmenace
06-30-2012, 11:26 PM
Sorry I didn't see the posts in the other thread. It was so negative (fueled by one person I will not acknowledge) that I stopped reading it before the David Aldridge tweet was posted. If the mods think this should be moved or merged, go right ahead.

Pacerized
06-30-2012, 11:27 PM

I had a lot more faith in the front office that pulled that one off. I'm still very hopeful though.

Steagles
06-30-2012, 11:32 PM
I had a lot more faith in the front office that pulled that one off. I'm still very hopeful though.

We now have a much more aggressive GM, though. I am excited.

LA_Confidential
06-30-2012, 11:33 PM
Sorry I didn't see the posts in the other thread. It was so negative (fueled by one person I will not acknowledge) that I stopped reading it before the David Aldridge tweet was posted. If the mods think this should be moved or merged, go right ahead.

Well you missed a good show, I pulled his card and his whole deck came crashing down. It was quite amusing but I digress. I really do think this deserves its own thread just so that we can chronicle all of our thought and reactions to the breaking news thats.bound to come out of this.

HC
06-30-2012, 11:50 PM
I want this to happen so bad, therefore I must accept that it will not.

gummy
06-30-2012, 11:58 PM
Happy to see us make a run at it. Yes, he is on the downside of his career but he has enough in the tank to help our offense tremendously - I think enough to offset his defensive deficiencies by a clear margin.

Steagles
07-01-2012, 12:01 AM
Happy to see us make a run at it. Yes, he is on the downside of his career but he has enough in the tank to help our offense tremendously - I think enough to offset his defensive deficiencies by a clear margin.

I mean its not like our current points play great D.

3rdStrike
07-01-2012, 12:01 AM
This news makes my day. We're on a short list, and we have more money, less drama and a more positive locker room than any of the alternatives, with the possible exception of Phoenix. Win or lose, I'm glad they're putting forth the effort. It says a lot.

pizza guy
07-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Saturday, June 30 2012

David Aldridge: Knicks, Heat, Pacers, Raptors &?Suns expected to make their pitch to Steve Nash Sunday, per source. Not certain if all teams will be in NYC. Twitter
INDIANA PACERS, MIAMI HEAT, NEW YORK KNICKS, PHOENIX SUNS, TORONTO RAPTORS, FREE AGENCY, STEVE NASH* | *SHARE *

http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/indiana_pacers

https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/daldridgetnt

If it's between those 5 teams, I don't see how Nash doesn't choose Indy. He doesn't fit in AT ALL in Miami, Toronto and PHX are a few years away and would not give him any chance at a ring, and I don't see him going to split minutes with Jeremy Lin or be his backup.

Indy can just about match the money from Toronto and beat the money from Miami and NY. PHX has us beat in this category, but from reading the article in the other thread, it sounds like they are ready to move on from the Nash area as a courtesy to him and to get the rebuilding process started.

I've been all about getting DWill, and if we don't at least leave him a message, I'll be a little upset. But getting Nash would not be all bad.

EDIT: And for the concerns about his defense, allow me to remind you that our entire defensive philosophy is to basically allow the bigs to be bigs and protect the rim. Hibbert is obviously the leader of that, but West's size and the length of Danny and PG24 are also very important factors. We basically built the defense with a not-so-great defender at the 1 in mind.

ECKrueger
07-01-2012, 12:12 AM
If it's between those 5 teams, I don't see how Nash doesn't choose Indy. He doesn't fit in AT ALL in Miami, Toronto and PHX are a few years away and would not give him any chance at a ring, and I don't see him going to split minutes with Jeremy Lin or be his backup.

Indy can just about match the money from Toronto and beat the money from Miami and NY. PHX has us beat in this category, but from reading the article in the other thread, it sounds like they are ready to move on from the Nash area as a courtesy to him and to get the rebuilding process started.

I've been all about getting DWill, and if we don't at least leave him a message, I'll be a little upset. But getting Nash would not be all bad.

EDIT: And for the concerns about his defense, allow me to remind you that our entire defensive philosophy is to basically allow the bigs to be bigs and protect the rim. Hibbert is obviously the leader of that, but West's size and the length of Danny and PG24 are also very important factors. We basically built the defense with a not-so-great defender at the 1 in mind.

"The Pacers are also expected to contact point guard Deron Williams' agent, but the top free agent on the market is expected to re-sign with the Brooklyn Nets or go to Dallas. Future Hall of Fame point guard Steve Nash also reportedly has a small list of teams he wants to sign with; however the Pacers aren't one of them."

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?73531-Wells-Pacers-aim-to-lock-up-Roy-Hibbert-George-Hill-as-free-agency-looms

Sandman21
07-01-2012, 12:13 AM

Psst... the ignore list is a beautiful thing. :)

CableKC
07-01-2012, 12:19 AM
I'm glad that they are making an attempt...as PacerPurdue said.....that's all we're hoping for.....but honestly...I'm not going to hold my breath.

pizza guy
07-01-2012, 12:28 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8115302/steve-nash-examines-options-says-staying-phoenix-suns-no-longer-home-run (Interview with Nash)

If you haven't seen this interview Marc Stein did, it's a good one. Says contending isn't the only thing to look for, and the atmosphere is right at the top of the list, but he's willing to consider whoever calls.

tadscout
07-01-2012, 12:37 AM
I think it would be between us and Toronto... Toronto only wins if a sense of loyalty and responsibility to build the popularity of basketball in Canada (He is their Olympic GM), out weighs contending.

Miami makes zero sense.

PacerPenguins
07-01-2012, 12:41 AM
Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA
The Toronto Raptors could have traded the eighth pick for Kyle Lowry, but they held off, choosing instead to aggressively pursue Steve Nash.

NASH WE CAN GIVE U MORE MONEY!!

Kstat
07-01-2012, 12:43 AM
lex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA
The Toronto Raptors could have traded the eighth pick for Kyle Lowry, but they held off, choosing instead to aggressively pursue Steve Nash.

I love Toronto. I'll be laughing about this for years.

Trophy
07-01-2012, 12:43 AM
If Toronto is offering everything but the kitchen sink, he'll most likely go there.

He already said money is what's important and he'd probably be happy to close his career with Toronto. Miami and New York are not realistic destinations. There's no way he'd take such a tremendous pay cut.

However, I do think if we offer him a reasonable amount, he'll strongly consider coming here if he does his homework.

pizza guy
07-01-2012, 12:58 AM
Even though he said he'd make his decision rather quickly, Nash definitely seems more like the David West type, who really considers the situation each team is in and will make a choice based on the best overall situation, not just location, money, or where his friends are.

If that's the case, I don't see how any of these other teams can match what we offer.

presto123
07-01-2012, 12:59 AM
If he comes here I'll buy 2 Nash Pacer jerseys.

PacerPenguins
07-01-2012, 01:00 AM
Even though he said he'd make his decision rather quickly, Nash definitely seems more like the David West type, who really considers the situation each team is in and will make a choice based on the best overall situation, not just location, money, or where his friends are.

If that's the case, I don't see how any of these other teams can match what we offer.

the thing is would we really outbid them? idk

Sandman21
07-01-2012, 01:05 AM
Sean Deveney ‏@SeanDeveney

Toronto #Raptors not just making a FA pitch for Steve Nash. They're pitching him on post-retirement opportunities, too.
Expand

Retweet
Favorite

I think that might be ball game folks.

pizza guy
07-01-2012, 01:12 AM

Toronto #Raptors not just making a FA pitch for Steve Nash. They're pitching him on post-retirement opportunities, too.
Expand

Retweet
Favorite

Yeah, this is probably a very strong pitch by Toronto. Obviously, hometown advantage, plenty of money, and retirement options.... that means he'd have to place a lot of importance on our possible Title contention to come here.

If we've got someone talking to him, I really hope it's Frank Vogel.

HC
07-01-2012, 01:13 AM

Expand

Retweet
Favorite

After the Pujols deal the MLB is taking steps to prevent this. I'm surprised really that teams are able to guarantee this sort of thing.

Pacerfan
07-01-2012, 01:17 AM
Yeah, this is probably a very strong pitch by Toronto. Obviously, hometown advantage, plenty of money, and retirement options.... that means he'd have to place a lot of importance on our possible Title contention to come here.

If we've got someone talking to him, I really hope it's Frank Vogel.

Agreed, he can sign with us for 2 years and contend for a title. He can always go to Toronto after this contract ends and sign a one year deal and build up his post retirement resume. He may have a lot more opportunities after his retirement if he wins a championship and Finals MVP.

Pingu
07-01-2012, 01:18 AM
Why would the guarantee of a front office job be appealing to Nash? Would he really have that much trouble finding a job with a NBA franchise after he retires?

Also, Nash was born in South Africa and grew up in BC, so Toronto isn't exactly his 'hometown', though I agree he's a Canadian hero.

vnzla81
07-01-2012, 01:24 AM

Expand

Retweet
Favorite

Somebody in Indiana should offer him corn for the rest of his life or something, come on people!!! ;)

pizza guy
07-01-2012, 01:26 AM
Why would the guarantee of a front office job be appealing to Nash? Would he really have that much trouble finding a job with a NBA franchise after he retires?

Also, Nash was born in South Africa and grew up in BC, so Toronto isn't exactly his 'hometown', though I agree he's a Canadian hero.

With his involvement in the Canadian National Team, he'll have a good chance to see how much he likes being in the office. I remember reading when he took that position that he was excited to further the game of basketball in Canada. So, perhaps an office job with the Raptors could offer him an opportunity to do that.

CableKC
07-01-2012, 03:09 AM
Somebody in Indiana should offer him corn for the rest of his life or something, come on people!!! ;)
I'll offer him a bridge in Brooklyn if he considers the Pacers ;)

Heisenberg
07-01-2012, 03:14 AM
Somebody in Indiana should offer him corn for the rest of his life or something, come on people!!! ;)I know a GREAT piece of property for mushroom hunting.

Hey, don't laugh, there's money there.

CableKC
07-01-2012, 03:25 AM
I know a GREAT piece of property for mushroom hunting.

Hey, don't laugh, there's money there.
I don't get it...what's Mushroom hunting?

Heisenberg
07-01-2012, 03:34 AM
WHAT?!

Really? Mushrooms, they grow wild. You bring a sixer (well, I do), and go find em. Then you take em to the farmer's market down in Rockville and get like 30 bucks a pound. And that's just the regular ole culinary mushrooms...but we won't go there lol.

Is this why our market's not sexy for NBA athletes?

ballism
07-01-2012, 05:41 AM
This could be a home run of an offseason for the Pacers. Adding Nash, Re Signing Hibbert adding depth using MLE, trades, etc. We could be stacked and ready to roll going in to the season.
can't spend cap and MLE both, but indeed.
step two would be using either Hill SnT or DC to bring in a better scoring backup 4. Landry, or my personal preference (and probably much easier to get) Jeff Green. Green-Orlando Johnson-DC(Hill) could be an extremely potent pick and pop / PnR unit compared to other teams' benches.

Heisenberg
07-01-2012, 05:45 AM
I've gotta assume this "post retirement option" stuff is a GIGANTIC loophole that'll be closed in the next CBA.

ballism
07-01-2012, 06:20 AM
I've gotta assume this "post retirement option" stuff is a GIGANTIC loophole that'll be closed in the next CBA.

I assume that "post retirement opportunities" in this case are more along the lines of:
"hey, you are already one of the top executives for Canadian national basketball team; you are also a part owner of a Canadian MLS franchise; playing in the heart of Canada makes too much sense for you. You would have much easier time doing all those things and you will transition into your post-retirement career very smoothly."

I doubt they are actually offering a specific future position within the Raptors or MLSE. Pretty sure that's illegal.

Heisenberg
07-01-2012, 06:30 AM
I assume that "post retirement opportunities" in this case are more along the lines of:
"hey, you are already one of the top executives for Canadian national basketball team; you are also a part owner of a Canadian MLS franchise; playing in the heart of Canada makes too much sense for you. You would have much easier time doing all those things and you will transition into your post-retirement career very smoothly."

I doubt they are actually offering a specific future position within the Raptors or MLSE. Pretty sure that's illegal.I mean, I suppose, but what's worth reporting about that? Granted, it's not a media report without a hefty bit of sensationalism, but that just seems like a common sense sales pitch.

ballism
07-01-2012, 06:41 AM
I mean, I suppose, but what's worth reporting about that? Granted, it's not a media report without a hefty bit of sensationalism, but that just seems like a common sense sales pitch.

yes, it's no different than Indiana selling Gordon on home town / family stuff.
i didn't get an impression those tweeters had any specific info, other than "post-retirement opportunities". I think they made a bigger than necessary deal out of it.
You can't circumvent the cap via any side-position (e.g. D-Will: 10 mil player salary in Dallas + 20 mil salary as Cuban's personal fitness coach), i don't see why it wouldn't apply for future positions.

Shade
07-01-2012, 07:38 AM
Id offer him whatever was left over from hibbert and hill. What's the point in keeping it? It's nit like it would be more than a 3 year investment anyhow.

I would even let Hill walk if that's what it takes to bring in Nash.

I like Hill, but he's clearly not the answer at PG.

Shade
07-01-2012, 07:39 AM
This is all I ask for: a good attempt.

Fixed.

Shade
07-01-2012, 07:41 AM

Except, our front office is completely different now...

Shade
07-01-2012, 07:42 AM
man i just gives me goosebumps even thinking about the possibility of hime coming here...

Same here. I've been a Nash fan for a looooong time and have been an advocate for bringing him here ever since it was apparent he wouldn't be staying in Phoenix.

I've been holding off on buying a new jersey until I see where this off-season goes, but if we sign Nash, you better believe I'll be getting a jersey as soon as it goes on sale.

Shade
07-01-2012, 07:48 AM
I think it would be between us and Toronto... Toronto only wins if a sense of loyalty and responsibility to build the popularity of basketball in Canada (He is their Olympic GM), out weighs contending.

Miami makes zero sense.

I also believe it's between us and Toronto as the most likely destinations. We'd probably have to at least match the $12 mil/yr. that the Raptors are reportedly offering him though to make it a difficult decision for him.

Smits Happens
07-01-2012, 09:54 AM
I've been hoping and dreaming for Nash to come here for a long time, but I feel we are setting ourselves up for disappointment. I think most Pacer fans agree we seem to be at least as good if not a better fit than the other teams pursuing him, but I'm really pessimistic about our chances. There will be some factor that pushes him another direction. I'm hoping to be proven wrong but I give us about a 5 percent chance of signing him. Sorry to be Debbie Downer.

Steagles
07-01-2012, 10:02 AM
I've been hoping and dreaming for Nash to come here for a long time, but I feel we are setting ourselves up for disappointment. I think most Pacer fans agree we seem to be at least as good if not a better fit than the other teams pursuing him, but I'm really pessimistic about our chances. There will be some factor that pushes him another direction. I'm hoping to be proven wrong but I give us about a 5 percent chance of signing him. Sorry to be Debbie Downer.

I'd rather be you now (which I completely agree with) expecting him to sign somewhere else. It's what you expected or being bitterly disappointed/pleasantly surprised. I'll take the pleasant surprise.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk

pwee31
07-01-2012, 10:04 AM
I would even let Hill walk if that's what it takes to bring in Nash.

I like Hill, but he's clearly not the answer at PG.

I agree. You already have Collison to backup Nash, so you could use some of the Hill money to approve other needs. Collison would still get a lot of run, and you would likely try to save Nash a bit during the regular season.

TheDon
07-01-2012, 11:00 AM
With hibbert getting offered the max which is like 12 million and some change per year can we also do something like offer Nash the same amount per year? I'm not sure how that's going to play out but I know 1) Roy can only do handshake sort of agreements and can't sign anything until July 11th and then we have 3 days to match...and 2)I know we can go over the cap to sign our own players.

So say we get Nash before that whole 3 day grace period we have to match on Roy then it would not matter if we are over the cap...at least that's my understanding of how everything might play out if all the stars allign for once in our favor.

Is this right?

pizza guy
07-01-2012, 11:06 AM
With hibbert getting offered the max which is like 12 million and some change per year can we also do something like offer Nash the same amount per year? I'm not sure how that's going to play out but I know 1) Roy can only do handshake sort of agreements and can't sign anything until July 11th and then we have 3 days to match...and 2)I know we can go over the cap to sign our own players.

So say we get Nash before that whole 3 day grace period we have to match on Roy then it would not matter if we are over the cap...at least that's my understanding of how everything might play out if all the stars allign for once in our favor.

Is this right?

That's my understanding, yes.

ballism
07-01-2012, 12:33 PM

Is this right?

yes, basically, except we would need to clear a little bit extra to offer that amount to Nash. We can do it by just passing on George Hill. Or getting rid of Tyler or Dahntay (too bad we wasted amnesty on Posey, it would come in so handy).

(The max and what I assume Portland offered is ~13.7 mil, or ~59 mil / 4 years.)

TheDon
07-01-2012, 12:51 PM
yes, basically, except we would need to clear a little bit extra to offer that amount to Nash. We can do it by just passing on George Hill. Or getting rid of Tyler or Dahntay (too bad we wasted amnesty on Posey, it would come in so handy).

(The max and what I assume Portland offered is ~13.7 mil, or ~59 mil / 4 years.)

Alright so say that scenario plays out like I have above where we sign Nash for around 12 million like Toronto is offering and before we match whatever Hibbert is getting which is around another 12 mil. I'm sure that would put us over the cap but does anyone know how far over we would be or would we just be close to it if we end up just letting Hill walk?

I know it's all speculation and i'm probably getting a bit ahead of myself but I just want an idea of what kind of situation we're putting ourselves in if things turn out.

ballism
07-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Alright so say that scenario plays out like I have above where we sign Nash for around 12 million like Toronto is offering and before we match whatever Hibbert is getting which is around another 12 mil. I'm sure that would put us over the cap but does anyone know how far over we would be or would we just be close to it if we end up just letting Hill walk?

I know it's all speculation and i'm probably getting a bit ahead of myself but I just want an idea of what kind of situation we're putting ourselves in if things turn out.
roughly 6 mil over cap once it's all done in that scenario (Nash gets 12 mil, Hibbert gets 13.7 which is the max, Hill goes, Lance stays, new rooks join).
we would also have an extra ~2-3 mil of cap to spend during the period in between signing Nash and Hibbert.

TheDon
07-01-2012, 03:18 PM
roughly 6 mil over cap once it's all done in that scenario (Nash gets 12 mil, Hibbert gets 13.7 which is the max, Hill goes, Lance stays, new rooks join).
we would also have an extra ~2-3 mil of cap to spend during the period in between signing Nash and Hibbert.

Not sure if Simon is up for that sort of expense, but sounds like a pretty good scenario to me. I know we'll have the whole rules of trading for players, that they have to be within somer certain percentage of matching salaries to do a trade, but I could live with that especially considering that West's 7 million or so contract expires next year puts us right back under the cap.

ballism
07-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Not sure if Simon is up for that sort of expense, but sounds like a pretty good scenario to me. I know we'll have the whole rules of trading for players, that they have to be within somer certain percentage of matching salaries to do a trade, but I could live with that especially considering that West's 7 million or so contract expires next year puts us right back under the cap.

maybe you meant tax, we'd be ~7 mil under tax. the tax line is the one that Simon may not want to cross.

PacersForever
07-01-2012, 05:37 PM
I think we should all tweet Steve Nash to come play for us. As fans that's all we can do and its worth a try.

#Nash2Indiana

ECKrueger
07-01-2012, 05:43 PM
ESPN NBA - Raptors have offered 2-time MVP Steve Nash a 3-year, $36 million deal, sources told Marc Stein

Kstat
07-01-2012, 05:46 PM
....and that's that. Good luck finding a team to match that number.

PacersForever
07-01-2012, 05:51 PM
If we match Hibbert's max we can`t match Nash's aswell ?

Kstat
07-01-2012, 05:52 PM

Why would that matter...you don't have nash's rights.

OlBlu
07-01-2012, 05:53 PM

That is silly money for Nash.....:cool:

PacersForever
07-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Why would that matter...you don't have nash's rights.

He said he would come to a team that is not necessarily a champion contention team but they would become one if he signed with them.

Eleazar
07-01-2012, 05:58 PM
....and that's that. Good luck finding a team to match that number.

You don't necessarily have to match the number, to formulate a better offer.

Gamble1
07-01-2012, 06:13 PM
You don't necessarily have to match the number, to formulate a better offer.

3 years 10 million is even pushing it but I would be tempted to make it. MY guess is that we will let him walk and in about 2 years be happy we did for that type of cash.

Eleazar
07-01-2012, 06:15 PM
3 years 10 million is even pushing it but I would be tempted to make it. MY guess is that we will let him walk and in about 2 years be happy we did for that type of cash.

I agree that $10 million is the max I would go. I would rather take a chance on a less proven, but cheaper and younger alternative than vastly overpay Nash.

Kstat
07-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Steve Nash is not taking $6 million less to sign with Indiana. They would have to at the very least match the offer just to get his attention.

idioteque
07-01-2012, 06:21 PM
I agree that $10 million is the max I would go. I would rather take a chance on a less proven, but cheaper and younger alternative than vastly overpay Nash.

If that is the case you are not interested in giving Nash a competitive offer.

I'm not picking on you in particular, but the postings today would make Donald Sterling look like Mark Cuban when it comes to spending money.

Shade
07-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Match it. Enough pissing in the wind. Make the "championship move."

Ace E.Anderson
07-01-2012, 06:25 PM

If we matched it, we wouldn't have the money to sign any other FA's

Gamble1
07-01-2012, 06:25 PM
If we matched it, we wouldn't have the money to sign any other FA's

THere is always the MLE at 5.5 mill for 5 years or is it 3 years I can't remember.

Hypnotiq
07-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Who the hell cares about other FA after we signed Nash we would be set just fill the roster with journeymen scrubs

BringJackBack
Yep, at this point I'd rather trade for Lowry or sign a cheapish veteran point guard in free agency. Andre Miller, Chauncey Billups.

Eleazar
If that is the case you are not interested in giving Nash a competitive offer.

I'm not picking on you in particular, but the postings today would make Donald Sterling look like Mark Cuban when it comes to spending money.

Haha hardly, you haven't been paying very close attention to what I have been saying.

Kstat
07-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Haha hardly, you haven't been paying very close attention to what I have been saying.

If you offer him less than what Toronto offered him, he's not going to listen.

Gamble1
07-01-2012, 06:28 PM

Its funny because I see the championship move to be Eric Gordon not Nash. Of course both will expensive and both have a considerable amount of risk tied up into them.

BlueNGold
07-01-2012, 06:29 PM

Agreed. Roy has more upside and just look around. DWest was a steal at 10M/yr and Roy is more valued. 14.5M/yr is the market rate...and we should pay it. Of course, if a S&T makes us better you do that.

pizza guy
What have we been saying about Hibbert? The market determines value. If Toronto is offering 3yr/$36m to Nash, then apparently that's his value.

Now while I think most would agree that $12m/yr is a bit much for someone of Nash's age, you have to weight that against whether or not he makes this team a Championship contender. If the answer is yes to that question, as a fan I have to say that paying him Lebron James-type money is worth it. I want to see the Pacers in the Finals. If the answer is no, Nash doesn't make us true contenders, then you pass and wait for the next available option. Simple as that. We could've broke the bank for Nene, but we didn't, and we got DWest. That's how it works.

Eleazar

Then you go with another option who can be a more long term solution.

Gamble1
07-01-2012, 06:30 PM

I wouldn't go that far but it does have to be something close with maybe 2 million less per year.

For those still wanting Nash just consider the Raptor are the Raptors for a reason. Stupid moves like this hold that team down and it appears they haven't learned anything from their past mistakes.

xBulletproof
07-01-2012, 06:33 PM
I wouldn't go that far but it does have to be something close with maybe 2 million less per year.

For those still wanting Nash just consider the Raptor are the Raptors for a reason. Stupid moves like this hold that team down and it appears they haven't learned anything from their past mistakes.

They make dumb moves, but this isn't one of them. Nash's presence is gonig to help that team, and bring them a ton of money as Nash is Canadian. Screw Toronto, all of Canada may latch onto that.

Shade
07-01-2012, 06:34 PM
Its funny because I see the championship move to be Eric Gordon not Nash. Of course both will expensive and both have a considerable amount of risk tied up into them.

I'll happily take either. But EJ will be harder to get, and PG is a glaring need.

Kstat
07-01-2012, 06:34 PM
2 millions less per year means a pay cut of 6 million total over 3 years. Thats a big salary gap.

TMJ31
07-01-2012, 06:35 PM
This is really tricky.

Nash has been my favorite Non-Pacer for a lonngggggg time.

I would love to see him here.

It really is a "swing for the fences" type move. If we make it and it pans out, we have a window for a championship contending team.

If it does not pan out, we likely become the Hawks, or worse if chemistry and player development does not mesh.

But honestly, the Pacers have shied away from moves like this, I think this is one time when we have to at least TRY to do this, even if its against conventional wisdom.

Eleazar
07-01-2012, 06:36 PM
They make dumb moves, but this isn't one of them. Nash's presence is gonig to help that team, and bring them a ton of money as Nash is Canadian. Screw Toronto, all of Canada may latch onto that.

The Pacers and Raptors are going after him for two very different reasons.

idioteque
07-01-2012, 06:37 PM

There is no alternate reality where he is willing to take a 6 mil cut to play here.

xBulletproof
07-01-2012, 06:38 PM
The Pacers and Raptors are going after him for two very different reasons.

Okay, but what does that have to do with what I said?

BringJackBack
07-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Marc Berman: Source repeats $36M offer to Steve Nash is "untrue.'' Won't say what offer was. Raptors may want the $36M number out there. about 1 hour ago

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz1zPhaf9ZA

Hmmm...

Shade
07-01-2012, 06:40 PM
It's not like we'd be locking into a 7-year deal here. It's a 3-year window to get a championship. If it doesn't pan out, the "old" guys are at the end of their respective deals and you can start over.

Kstat
07-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Marc Berman: Source repeats $36M offer to Steve Nash is "untrue.'' Won't say what offer was. Raptors may want the $36M number out there. about 1 hour ago

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz1zPhaf9ZA

Hmmm...

My guess is the numbers match up, but the 3rd year isn't full guaranteed or is a team option.

BringJackBack
07-01-2012, 06:44 PM
that's what I would have to say as well. The most amazing thing here is that Nash is actually getting an annual raise compared to his last contract. What a player.

PacersHomer
07-01-2012, 06:44 PM
My guess is the numbers match up, but the 3rd year isn't full guaranteed or is a team option.

I'd be perfectly okay with offering him 3 years 36 million without the team option & guaranteed and then renouncing Hill. Of course it's easy to spend other people's money...

Justin Tyme
07-01-2012, 06:53 PM

I suppose you don't know how to pick the best gunny sack to go snipe hunting either.

Justin Tyme
07-01-2012, 06:57 PM
I agree. You already have Collison to backup Nash, so you could use some of the Hill money to approve other needs. Collison would still get a lot of run, and you would likely try to save Nash a bit during the regular season.

Not to mention, DC could learn how to run a team from Nash.

Eleazar
07-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Okay, but what does that have to do with what I said?

Because it is smart for them for PR reasons, not basketball reasons. If we bring in a player it has to be good for basketball reasons. For basketball reasons he is in no way worth more than West. For PR reasons he might be in Canada.

Justin Tyme
07-01-2012, 07:07 PM
2 millions less per year means a pay cut of 6 million total over 3 years. Thats a big salary gap.

Didn't West turn down more from the Celtics to sign with the Pacers?

aamcguy
07-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Didn't West turn down more from the Celtics to sign with the Pacers?

More total, but it was for 3 years and it was for less per year. That's why Ray Allen said he was just following the money preseason.

pizza guy
07-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Sign him to a 3 year deal and if we don't seriously contend after two years, trade him to Toronto. You know they'll still do anything to get him. That way you get to steal a draft pick and a player probably from the Raptors and Danny is off the books at the same time. I have no idea who will be a free agent then, but my guess is the money created by that would give us some flexibility to add to the Hibbert/PG24 duo and keep on keepin' on.

Of course, that assuming Roy and Paul are both re-signed.

PR07
07-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Not to mention, DC could learn how to run a team from Nash.

I might try to move Collison for a more defensive oriented point guard if we got Nash and lost Hill. All hypothetically of course.

Hicks
07-02-2012, 12:17 AM
I'd be totally fine if they offered Nash that same contract. Assuming we also kept Roy.

Is it too much? Yes. Does it matter? Not really. You don't have to re-sign Hill after this, and each season one of our big contracts expires, West 13, Granger 14, Nash 15, Hibbert 16. Lesser FAs would be available on the cheap to plug any remaining holes. But even without them, you're looking at:

Nash/Collison
George/Johnson
Granger/Jones
West/Hansbrough or Pendergraph
Hibbert/Plumlee

It's not inconceivable to find another piece or two off the scrap heap if need be. Especially when you're asking them to join this roster.

That having been said, I'll be shocked if we offer that much. I think we're done here. :(

CableKC
07-02-2012, 02:53 AM
I'd be totally fine if they offered Nash that same contract. Assuming we also kept Roy.

Is it too much? Yes. Does it matter? Not really. You don't have to re-sign Hill after this, and each season one of our big contracts expires, West 13, Granger 14, Nash 15, Hibbert 16. Lesser FAs would be available on the cheap to plug any remaining holes. But even without them, you're looking at:

Nash/Collison
George/Johnson
Granger/Jones
Hibbert/Plumlee

It's not inconceivable to find another piece or two off the scrap heap if need be. Especially when you're asking them to join this roster.

That having been said, I'll be shocked if we offer that much. I think we're done here. :(
I asked this before.....but assuming that GH is let go....and the Pacers match Hibbert's offer....while making a $12mil per season / 3 year deal to Nash ( assuming that he takes it...yes, a long-shot )...then what amount of CapSpace is left to spend on Free Agency ( if any at all )?

Someone has to correct me....but based off of my calculations....it doesn't look like we have the Capspace to do anything after making an offer to Nash and matching Hibbert's offer.

ballism
07-02-2012, 03:18 AM
I asked this before.....but assuming that GH is let go....and the Pacers match Hibbert's offer....while making a $12mil per season / 3 year deal to Nash ( assuming that he takes it...yes, a long-shot )...then what amount of CapSpace is left to spend on Free Agency ( if any at all )?

Someone has to correct me....but based off of my calculations....it doesn't look like we have the Capspace to do anything after making an offer to Nash and matching Hibbert's offer.
after matching Hibbert, no.

But in between Nash and Hibbert we would have 2-3 extra mil. The exact number depends on the size of Hill's previous salary, which gets reported differently. After that, we must rely on trades and exceptions.

Eleazar
07-02-2012, 12:09 PM
We can match anything Hill gets, and unless is is absurdly high I don't know why anyone would be against matching it if we sign Nash. It isn't as if the money we save would bring anyone as good as Hill here.

ballism
07-02-2012, 12:15 PM
We can match anything Hill gets, and unless is is absurdly high I don't know why anyone would be against matching it if we sign Nash. It isn't as if the money we save would bring anyone as good as Hill here.

indeed, but if we decide to offer as much as 12 mil for Nash, we will need to clear a little bit extra cap space.

Letting Hill go is the easy way to do it.
But there are other and probably less painful ways, like maybe giving someone a #2 to take on Dahntay. Ideally, we would still have our amnesty and use it on Dahntay, but we don't.

vnzla81
07-02-2012, 12:26 PM

Nash/Collison
George/Johnson
Granger/Jones
Hibbert/Plumlee

That team is going to be expensive and I don't see them having a chance to win a championship.

CableKC
07-02-2012, 12:35 PM
after matching Hibbert, no.

But in between Nash and Hibbert we would have 2-3 extra mil. The exact number depends on the size of Hill's previous salary, which gets reported differently. After that, we must rely on trades and exceptions.
So you are saying that it is possible to offer Nash a $12 mil per year / 3 year deal AND match Hibbert's MAX Contract?

Hicks
07-02-2012, 12:36 PM
That team is going to be expensive and I don't see them having a chance to win a championship.

You wouldn't think we had a chance to win a championship with OKC's roster.

vnzla81
07-02-2012, 12:40 PM
You wouldn't think we had a chance to win a championship with OKC's roster.

OKC has Durant and Westbrook let's not go crazy now.

ballism
07-02-2012, 12:41 PM

it would be at ~64 mil next year, so we'd still be on the cheap side for a playoff team. There won't be a ton of flexibility going forward, but we wouldn't be in a cap hell either.

As for contending, I think we'd have a chance but we'd need a few lucky breaks with rookies/exceptions/injuries.
Look at it this way: if not Nash, who puts us there? Our options aren't that great. We can use midlevels for several years, or we can sign someone bigger now. Nash looks like the best thing available, by far.

ballism
07-02-2012, 12:42 PM
So you are saying that it is possible to offer Nash a $12 mil per year / 3 year deal AND match Hibbert's MAX Contract?

yes, if we let Hill go (or clear a couple mil in other ways).

Naptown_Seth
07-02-2012, 12:48 PM
I agree. Shame because it's exactly the solution the team needs. Hill and DC were both great doing what they do, but neither do what Nash does. For all the age talk he's shown very little signs of decline. If you saw them this year then you know he single-handledly beat the Pacers and made Gortat look great. It was his ability to make amazing passes on the drive and to make every single PnR into a winning play that killed Indy.

All you need is Danny, Paul and Roy/center to play freaking defense and the team can easily score enough to win. I also think the players would benefit from playing with him. And it would even give West a spark to play with a guy of that caliber again. Everyone likes the chance to play with great team-oriented talents.

Naptown_Seth
07-02-2012, 12:52 PM
And let me add that while I don't think Hibbert is worth the max, I can concede that for PR AND team structure reasons you match him. But that's the same reason you go get Nash. Massive PR and team quality bump.

Nash would sell a s***load of tickets, way more than the Hibby resign will. And the excitement of the plays, the highlights that would make the news and the winning (even if its only a bump up from this year) would draw in that last layer of fans, the casual fans the team's been chasing.

You have to spend money to make money. Go get Nash, resign Hibbert and if you have to lose your shot to keep Hill so be it, and if you can work it out then all the better. That will fill the BiLF for a few years and rebuild all those links to casual fans, links you can maintain even past a Nash retirement.

Hicks
07-02-2012, 03:51 PM
OKC has Durant and Westbrook let's not go crazy now.

You'd be trashing Harden for being a no-show in the Finals and how they pathetically got backdoor swept even with home court advantage.

vnzla81
07-02-2012, 04:07 PM
You'd be trashing Harden for being a no-show in the Finals and how they pathetically got backdoor swept even with home court advantage.

I was trashing Harden because he was a no-show he sucked, Westbrook,Durant,Harden and Ibaka could not get it done what makes you think that Nash,PG,Danny,West and Roy could get it done? just because we got to beat Miami twice without Bosh and beat Orlando without Howard?

Hell not even a team with CP3, West and Chandler in their prime was able to get it done, again I love Nash but bringing him doesn't make us contenders in my opinion, he will help to sell tickets but nothing else.

PR07
07-02-2012, 04:11 PM
I was trashing Harden because he was a no-show he sucked, Westbrook,Durant,Harden and Ibaka could not get it done what makes you think that Nash,PG,Danny,West and Roy could get it done? just because we got to beat Miami twice without Bosh and beat Orlando without Howard?

Hell not even a team with CP3, West and Chandler in their prime was able to get it done, again I love Nash but bringing him doesn't make us contenders in my opinion, he will help to sell tickets but nothing else.

It depends. If the team could add Nash and re-sign Hibbert, and George takes another step forward...I think you're definitely looking at a contender. The Pacers just match up a little better against Miami than most because they have size that can score. Sure, the Thunder beat us on a pure talent scale, but they don't have anyone in that frontcourt to keep the Heat honest scoring the basketball.

Ace E.Anderson
07-02-2012, 04:25 PM
It depends. If the team could add Nash and re-sign Hibbert, and George takes another step forward...I think you're definitely looking at a contender. The Pacers just match up a little better against Miami than most because they have size that can score. Sure, the Thunder beat us on a pure talent scale, but they don't have anyone in that frontcourt to keep the Heat honest scoring the basketball.

Steve Nash IN HIS PRIME, couldn't even make it to the finals with any of those Phoenix teams, so how would he be able to make the Pacers a serious championship contender?

Those teams were not only more talented than this Pacer team (Amare--pre injury, Shawn Marion in his prime, young Joe Johnson, Barbosa, and later on Diaw in his prime ) but they also ran a system that maximized Nash's strength's and disguised his weaknesses (defense). The Pacers do not have the personnel to run the type of run and gun system that would best utilize Nash's abilities.

ballism
07-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Steve Nash IN HIS PRIME, couldn't even make it to the finals with any of those Phoenix teams, so how would he be able to make the Pacers a serious championship contender?

Those teams were not only more talented than this Pacer team (Amare--pre injury, Shawn Marion in his prime, young Joe Johnson, Barbosa, and later on Diaw in his prime ) but they also ran a system that maximized Nash's strength's and disguised his weaknesses (defense). The Pacers do not have the personnel to run the type of run and gun system that would best utilize Nash's abilities.

what good are big names if they are injured or suspended. if Nash ever had "Amare--pre injury, Shawn Marion in his prime, young Joe Johnson, Barbosa" all healthy for a playoff run, I think he would be a champion, possibly several times. but we'll never know.

NapTonius Monk
07-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Its funny because I see the championship move to be Eric Gordon not Nash. Of course both will expensive and both have a considerable amount of risk tied up into them.Nash added to our current roster has more of a championship impact than Gordon.

aamcguy
07-02-2012, 04:54 PM

First of all: Nash running a fast break with Granger leaking out to a corner and PG running at the hoop would be spectacular.

Secondly: We actually played better when we were able to get out and run in between possessions. That is actually a strength of both DC and George Hill. The coaches were quote numerous times saying we needed to see if the transition game was there. If it's not, pull it out and get into your set. There would be some small adjustments to be made, but I think Nash would thrive in any system where he's a ball handler at this point.

PR07
07-02-2012, 04:56 PM

You also had perennial juggernauts like the Spurs and Lakers out West. Outside the Heat, does that team exist in the East? I'm looking at the East right now and besides them, is there anyone who can knock our lineup out with Nash? Celtics are another year older and the Bulls are potentially Rose-less.

troyc11a
07-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Nash added to our current roster has more of a championship impact than Gordon.

A proven scorer at the 2 (I like Mayo), along with Nash AND a defensive/rebounding presence at the 5 would make us a title contender IMO. Unfortunately, I dont see any of those moves being made.

Ace E.Anderson
07-02-2012, 05:03 PM
First of all: Nash running a fast break with Granger leaking out to a corner and PG running at the hoop would be spectacular.

Secondly: We actually played better when we were able to get out and run in between possessions. That is actually a strength of both DC and George Hill. The coaches were quote numerous times saying we needed to see if the transition game was there. If it's not, pull it out and get into your set. There would be some small adjustments to be made, but I think Nash would thrive in any system where he's a ball handler at this point.

It's one thing to run more opportunistic fast breaks, and its another to play the style of basketball the suns played. And aside from DC, Hill and PG, who else excels at a faster pace on the Pacers? MAYBE DG, but he isnt exactly the best finisher in the world. And come to think of it, PG is still working on his ability to finish strong on the break as well.

The suns were successful because they had Shawn Marion (a greyhound) and Amare running opposing bigs into the ground, while the wings ran to the 3pt line. D.West nor Roy (if we re-sign him) are the type of rim running bigs that are needed to make this work. Its nowhere near the same type of situation.

Steve Nash also affects us defensively, and would give us 2 subpar defensive players within our starting 5 (West)

Ace E.Anderson
07-02-2012, 05:06 PM
You also had perennial juggernauts like the Spurs and Lakers out West. Outside the Heat, does that team exist in the East? I'm looking at the East right now and besides them, is there anyone who can knock our lineup out with Nash? Celtics are another year older and the Bulls are potentially Rose-less.

I think the celtics would be able to slow us down, bc Rondo/Bradley duo would be able to hound the older Nash all game. D.Rose wont be hurt forever, plus Thibs is a GREAT basketball coach who always seems to get the best out of his players. Not juggernauts, but definitely not roll-overs either.

ilive4sports
07-02-2012, 05:23 PM

One, Nash has been running a slower tempo offense in PHX the past few years and still is an excellent PG, one of the best in the league. Two, he is a huge upgrade over what we have now at PG. There is no doubt he would make this team better. Three, you act like the Phoenix teams we bad, they were contenders. Just so happens that the Spurs are one of the best teams in the history of the NBA (4 championships).

The run n gun system is arguably what held PHX back cause their lack of defense. Nash is far more capable of running more than one offense. he's one of the best PG's of all time.

Ace E.Anderson
07-02-2012, 05:38 PM
One, Nash has been running a slower tempo offense in PHX the past few years and still is an excellent PG, one of the best in the league. Two, he is a huge upgrade over what we have now at PG. There is no doubt he would make this team better. Three, you act like the Phoenix teams we bad, they were contenders. Just so happens that the Spurs are one of the best teams in the history of the NBA (4 championships).

The run n gun system is arguably what held PHX back cause their lack of defense. Nash is far more capable of running more than one offense. he's one of the best PG's of all time.

1. They've run a slower pace and his numbers, and wins have gone down significantly.
2. He's def better than what we have, but that doesn't automatically make us championship contenders. With the system we currently run that emphasizes post play and 3pt shooting.
3. I never said those teams were bad at all. The point I was making was when surrounded by very talented players in a system that maximized his talents, they never made it to a finals. That doesbt make those teams bad teams, I'm just stating what happened.

Im not knocking Nash, nor his game. If i were him id want to go to a team that maximizes my abilities. I dont think that happens here. ALL IM SAYING PEOPLE is that Nash and the pacers aren't the perfect fit that would make us championship contenders. That's all.

vnzla81
07-02-2012, 05:49 PM
1. They've run a slower pace and his numbers, and wins have gone down significantly.
2. He's def better than what we have, but that doesn't automatically make us championship contenders. With the system we currently run that emphasizes post play and 3pt shooting.
3. I never said those teams were bad at all. The point I was making was when surrounded by very talented players in a system that maximized his talents, they never made it to a finals. That doesbt make those teams bad teams, I'm just stating what happened.

Im not knocking Nash, nor his game. If i were him id want to go to a team that maximizes my abilities. I dont think that happens here. ALL IM SAYING PEOPLE is that Nash and the pacers aren't the perfect fit that would make us championship contenders. That's all.

Thank you.

Edit: to me the believe that just adding Nash make us a championship contender is non sense, now if you tell me that we are bringing Nash plus a difference maker at any other position then I could agree with that line of thinking.

PR07
07-02-2012, 05:57 PM

1. Wins have gone down significantly because the talent level of the Suns' roster has gone down significantly. No Amare Stoudemire, Marion, Barbosa, aka guys that made those Suns teams very good even according to you. This isn't an indication that Nash isn't as a winning player in his new half court system, it just means the talent isn't there. He's the type of player much like Peyton Manning is in the NFL where if you put him with a few talented weapons, no matter what system it is, they probably win a lot of games. If you gave him a few low post threats and a guy that could score from the perimeter, I'm sure they would've won a lot more games however they played.

2. Exactly right, our system emphasizes post play. Yet, is there anyone on this roster that plays point guard that is more than an average passer? Heck, against the Heat, it took our guys 2 games to figure out how to throw a pass when someone fronts the post. This is EXACTLY the reason why we need Steve Nash. This roster is devoid of passing and overall playmaking.

3. You say Nash couldn't win the big one with a great roster implying that he wouldn't be able to do it here older, and with an assumed inferior one by your account. Yet, you don't give him credit now for still putting up efficient numbers on a team that is completely devoid of talent outside Gortat? Give the man some decent groceries, and he'll be able to bake a better cake regardless if we play tortoise or hare ball.

Slick Pinkham
07-02-2012, 06:04 PM
I have my doubts about Nash and don't want to be the high bidder for his services, given what Toronto has apparently offered,

but it is very hard to argue that the Pacers would not improve greatly from 29th in the league in assists per game with Nash at PG. Of course, assists totals and wins are not the same thing, but it seems to be a major team weakness- players not creating easy baskets for each other.

Given the price tags, I guess I hope a full training camp gets Hill more familiar with our system and his teamates' tendencies.

solid
07-02-2012, 07:25 PM
I am not optimistic that a training caamp will make vetren points remarkably better passers.
But that is exactly what we need.
Randomly adding talent is ok if you don't understand your needs but like last year when we added mass inside we can improve drastically this year by by adding an elite playmaker.

Rondo's expensive and a headache.
DWill isn't mature enough to know what's good for him.
Andre Miller hust resigned.
Dragic? elite......possibly, kinda, maybe.
Lowery is Collison like.

Steve Nash!!!
One of the greatest passers who ever played.
Lead the league in assist for much of last season. Double figures!
Mature to teach Hill the ropes. I'm thinking a year or two under Stever's wing may do the trick!
He would be a crowd favorite! (yes their would be crowds)
Could be the man on a contender.
All that for a three year contract that's almost 3 mil under the max.

Sign me up.

And Oh Yah.
The freakin Heat are not unbeatable. Not by a long shot.
Take away their second chance ops against our 2nd stringers and we have a punchers chance.
Do that AND swap from point guards who struggle with a post pass to one who can do it left handed, backwards, with his eyes closed and I like our chances.

Add a great passer, a good back up big AND another year for a young team to jell and grow and
there is no one that they simply can not beat.

I said last year if we get Nene or West we'd host a playoff series and compete for the third spot.

This year.
If we get Nash ...we may not win it but we would absolutely be in the hunt.

Hicks
07-02-2012, 07:53 PM
I have no idea if I can trust the source, but Diamond Dave was retweeting a different gentleman on Twitter who claims to have an inside source. Allegedly, we offered Nash approximately $10m per year and Nash declined.

CableKC
07-02-2012, 07:59 PM
I have no idea if I can trust the source, but Diamond Dave was retweeting a different gentleman on Twitter who claims to have an inside source. Allegedly, we offered Nash approximately $10m per year and Nash declined.
Given that the Raptors are apparently offering $12 mil per season, I'm not surprised.

Sandman21
07-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Thank goodness, I have a hard time throwing 10 million at a guy who is older than our head coach.

presto123
07-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Thank goodness, I have a hard time throwing 10 million at a guy who is older than our head coach.

He's in better shape and plays better than most guys 10-15 years younger than him. What does age matter if he does the job?

vnzla81
07-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Wow

@IAMAGM: Disrespect? Suns offer to Steve Nash is for $6M per year http://t.co/u2TLaNp9

Hypnotiq
07-02-2012, 10:30 PM
zero chance he goes back to phx then

Banta
07-02-2012, 10:35 PM
The Pacers do not have the personnel to run the type of run and gun system that would best utilize Nash's abilities.

Just maybe Nash benefits from being in a different system with the type of players the Pacers have. With defenders as teammates and competence at the point, maybe Nash is better than Nash. I think the Pacers get better because of Nash and Nash gets better because of the Pacers.

DrFife
07-02-2012, 10:39 PM

I'm so curious about the timing of everything happening & planned right now. If we indeed made an offer to Nash and were spurned, was it causally related to our offer of a 5-year extension to G Hill? If KP had planned to do both, would successfully signing Nash (and Hill) steer us away from re-signing Hibbert? I'd REALLY like to know, even after everything's said & done, what happened when (and what affected what)!

vnzla81
07-02-2012, 10:41 PM

I think this guy is a troll.

Pacerized
07-03-2012, 08:37 AM
I still think we're very much in the running for Nash. The timing of Hill's contract had me concerned but in reality it only takes a minute between our signing Nash first and Hill second to still use our cap space. I haven't read a word from a reporter that Nash is even leaning toward a specific offer yet. If Toronto where a slam dunk you'd have read something by now. The last I've read is a quote from Nash that he'll look at every offer. Our situation is the very best in offering him market value along with the chance to contend for a title.
This one will have me glued to the computer until I see a resolution but I'm not giving up hope.

ejwallace
07-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Steve Nash has a new team.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xRr6FT6DaA

Gamble1
07-03-2012, 09:51 AM

Ya I am not sure about that and he certainly doesn't have the longterm impact as EJ.

A couple of factors:
Defense EJ over Nash
Getting his own shot favors EJ over Nash
Age and resigning him is EJ
Durability are both a concern and IMO doesn't favor EJ or Nash
Contract length and amount is Nash

Passing/running the offense obviously favors Nash but consider our current team and I am not sure Nash is the best fit for the slow plodding pound it down low offense. If Nash got out and run Hibbert would need a inhaler built into his mask just to keep up.

naptownmenace
07-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Wow

@IAMAGM: Disrespect? Suns offer to Steve Nash is for $6M per year http://t.co/u2TLaNp9

I'm not surprised. Phoenix is ready to move on with Kendall Marshall running the show. They also have RFA Aaron Brooks that they can match any reasonable offers for.

Ace E.Anderson
07-03-2012, 11:25 AM
I'm not surprised. Phoenix is ready to move on with Kendall Marshall running the show. They also have RFA Aaron Brooks that they can match any reasonable offers for.

They're also looking to talk to Goran Dragic as well

mildlysane
07-03-2012, 12:05 PM
I have a hard time thinking a former 2-time MVP point guard, who is considered one of the best passers in NBA history, couldn't help us contend. I think one of our MAIN problems last year, especially in the playoffs, was our inability to make the correct pass at the correct time to the correct player. How many times did DC and GH pound ball, while Roy posted up, begging for the ball. Or how many times did we make the wrong pass on the break? So he is better on O then D. So were both of our main PGs last year, and we did pretty well. Our best passer last year was Lance...our 3rd or 4th PG. I feel that Nash makes us better, because he can get the ball into the scorers' hands alot cleaner, and alot more timely than anyone else in the league. If you believe in our players right now, why not get a guy who will maximize our talent? We were horrible on offense last year.

Eleazar
07-03-2012, 12:09 PM
[QUOTE=mildlysane;1470929]Our best passer last year was Lance...our 3rd or 4th PG.QUOTE]

And our second best wing/guard passer was arguably the other point guard who didn't get a lot of time.

LA_Confidential
07-03-2012, 12:26 PM

If this is the case then I think we have low balled Nash. Even at this age/stage of his career. 10mill per is what we gave West and imo Nash would have a greater impact on this team than West has had. If it takes 12mill to get Nash, do it. Have Hill as the scoring guard off the bench, like he was in SA.

PR07
07-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Ya I am not sure about that and he certainly doesn't have the longterm impact as EJ.

A couple of factors:
Defense EJ over Nash
Age and resigning him is EJ
Durability are both a concern and IMO doesn't favor EJ or Nash
Contract length and amount is Nash

Passing/running the offense obviously favors Nash but consider our current team and I am not sure Nash is the best fit for the slow plodding pound it down low offense. If Nash got out and run Hibbert would need a inhaler built into his mask just to keep up.

Except you can play all of Nash, George, Granger, West and Hibbert aka our best players. You can't play Gordon without leaving someone out because he can't play point guard.

Naptown_Seth
07-03-2012, 02:28 PM
What?

Where can't Nash go on the court at his whim? Dude runs a 50-40-90 shooting (FG-3P-FT), blows into the lane on every PnR, and stops and pops at will. If anything is impressive about his passing it's that he's so willing despite his strong scoring ability.

Defense - yes, that's a Nash flaw. The rest isn't even close. I've seen him live and up close several times including last year and my jaw still drops. It's not fair how much better he is than other guys. On offense he's in the Lebron, Wade, Kobe range of elite.

He might decline, but given the right team I think he could flourish for 3 more seasons certainly.

People are just used to the idea of Nash and his overall team has stunk for a few years. But in terms of what he produces on court it's still in line with his MVP seasons. His 3P% dropped to "only" 39% and he dealt with this by taking fewer of them, which resulted in his highest FG% in 6 years.

Nash's 3 highest Assists per 36m seasons? The last 3

Last year was his 4th highest True Shooting season of his career (5th in the NBA). Last year was his 4th highest eFG% of his career (he was 3rd in the NBA). He was 4th in FT% and 2nd in Ast/Gm (first in total assists). His only flaw was a rise in TOs.

This despite a roster of Jared Dudley and Gortat as key weapons. Can you imagine what he would do passing to West, Danny, Paul and Hill? Do you realize how many dunks Paul George would get per game, maybe 4-5 every night.

If you lose Roy and replace him with Nash in the starting lineup, you might lose defense but you drastically improve the offense.

For basketball reasons he is in no way worth more than West.
West, BAMF that he may be, pales in comparison to the amount of dominating impact Nash has on the court. When he plays, teams spend the entire time losing their s*** trying to figure out what to do about him.

Vs the Pacers last year he turned the high PnR with Gortat into about 14 layups between the two of them. Just the same thing over and over with made shots at the rim. They did much of this on the end I sit, 7th row, and you could see how badly he was breaking down every adjustment they tried to throw at him. The Pacers literally had no answer for it with guys looking at each other and throwing up their hands.

With Nash your only prayer is to attack him at the other end, and if it's wings like Danny and Paul helping out that could be trouble.

Lord help you if Paul makes one of his steals with Nash anywhere out on top with him. That's Sportscenter at that point.

mildlysane
07-03-2012, 02:37 PM
^^Sometimes I wish there were 2 "thanks" buttons.....^^

naptownmenace
07-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Vs the Pacers last year he turned the high PnR with Gortat into about 14 layups between the two of them. Just the same thing over and over with made shots at the rim. They did much of this on the end I sit, 7th row, and you could see how badly he was breaking down every adjustment they tried to throw at him. The Pacers literally had no answer for it with guys looking at each other and throwing up their hands.

With Nash your only prayer is to attack him at the other end, and if it's wings like Danny and Paul helping out that could be trouble.

Lord help you if Paul makes one of his steals with Nash anywhere out on top with him. That's Sportscenter at that point.

Nash dropped season highs of 17 assists twice - against the Pacers and the Pistons. He had a season (at age 38) better than any point guard in their NBA era.

The Pacers have never had a PG average 10 assists in a single season. Mark Jackson averaged 9.8 in 30 games with the Pacers in 1997 and he only shot 42 % from the field and averaged 10.0 ppg. The Pacers with Jackson, while playing an inside-outside style of offense similar to what is being played now, were one of the most efficient offensive teams in the NBA from 98-2000. This is a real-life example of how a point-first point guard is so important for a team that gets most of it's points from the High-Post down.

Nash is a player that makes everyone else around him better. He's exactly what the Pacers need.

ECKrueger
07-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Gosh, I would LOVE to see Nash here. I think he could do wonders for our team, our fans, and even himself here. I think it'd be similar to West, where we might have some concerns, but in the end he ends up being extremely important.

Gamble1
07-03-2012, 04:04 PM
What?

Where can't Nash go on the court at his whim? Dude runs a 50-40-90 shooting (FG-3P-FT), blows into the lane on every PnR, and stops and pops at will. If anything is impressive about his passing it's that he's so willing despite his strong scoring ability.

West, BAMF that he may be, pales in comparison to the amount of dominating impact Nash has on the court. When he plays, teams spend the entire time losing their s*** trying to figure out what to do about him.

So in iso situations I strongly believe EJ is way better than Nash but of course if you run pnr all day pretty much most NBA pg can get their own shot. That goes without saying IMO but like you pointed out Nash's offense is at an elite level and he takes full advantage of his pnr situations.

Everyone wants to say that Nash abilities will translate to our slow plodding offense and I personally don't see it. Of course just becuase I don't see it doesn't mean I wouldn't sign him for 8 million a year but I am not so quick to think he would be playing at a all star level in our offense which consist of ONE guy who can run the pnr well enough and he is only signed for ONE more year.

Except you can play all of Nash, George, Granger, West and Hibbert aka our best players. You can't play Gordon without leaving someone out because he can't play point guard.

I am assuming PG is gone if you trade for EJ.

CableKC
07-03-2012, 04:10 PM
THE ONLY WAY that I will be OKAY with not matching Hibbert is if the following occur:

1 ) Kaman signs for a $10 mil per season / 4 season contract
2 ) As part of "not matching Hibbert's offer", the Blazers MUST take back Inferno's $2.9 mil Salary
3 ) With the additional Capspace, KP/DW go back to Nash's Agent and ups their contract offer to Nash to $13 mil per season / 3 year contract offer.
4 ) DC is sent to NOLA in some S&T of Carl Landry
5 ) Hansbrough is sent to some Team for some TPE and 2nd round pick or something ( just to clear roster and capspace to justify getting Landry ).

I will ONLY be okay with letting Hibbert go if it means that we can get Kaman AND Nash for the next 3 seasons. $10 mil per season is just insulting to a Player like Nash.....if we are going to go "all in", then we go all in with Nash and Kaman while freeing up Capspace to make more moves.

DangerGranger3pointranger
07-03-2012, 04:59 PM
I know that if we do get him he should produce like he has in the last few seasons, and even if he doesn't he will sell a boatload of tickets and greatly influence the fan base. He will bring sell-out crowds if this deal goes through

Shade
07-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Is it even still possible to sign Nash and re-sign Hibbert now that we've agreed to terms w/Hill?

Gamble1
07-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Is it even still possible to sign Nash and re-sign Hibbert now that we've agreed to terms w/Hill?

Until Hill signs on the dotted line then we still have the capspace.

Pacerized
07-03-2012, 08:13 PM
I see that Toronto has agreed to a $19 mil deal for Landry Fields.
Does this mean they don't have the cap space to offer Nash the 12/36 deal? If so, that would play well for the Pacers.
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/222021/Raptors_Agree_To_Three_Year_$19M_Offer_Sheet_With_ Landry_Fields

Steagles
07-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Does this mean they don't have the cap space to offer Nash the 12/36 deal? If so, that would play well for the Pacers.
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/222021/Raptors_Agree_To_Three_Year_$19M_Offer_Sheet_With_ Landry_Fields

It could mean better, but I dont think it ruins that Nash deal yet.

Steagles
07-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Also don't forget the Mavs now that they are out of the DWill contention.

OlBlu
07-03-2012, 08:19 PM
It could mean better, but I dont think it ruins that Nash deal yet.

Enough already, we don't need a stumbling old man who is nearing 40....... :cool:

Steagles
07-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Enough already, we don't need a stumbling old man who is nearing 40....... :cool:

I'm not advocating a deal anyway. I said "It could mean better (for the deal)". Thats not a stance.

ballism
07-03-2012, 08:32 PM

no, they can just amnesty Calderon. i believe that was the idea all along, amnesty Calderon, add Nash, add some more veteran pieces, sign Valanciunas/Ross, make the playoffs.

who knows, in all likelihood, they could even use amnesty on someone else to clear even more space and find a team with 10 mil cap to take Calderon's expiring **cough cough**

naptownmenace
07-03-2012, 08:44 PM
no, they can just amnesty Calderon. i believe that was the idea all along, amnesty Calderon, add Nash, add some more veteran pieces, sign Valanciunas/Ross, make the playoffs.

who knows, in all likelihood, they could even use amnesty on someone else to clear even more space and find a team with 10 mil cap to take Calderon's expiring **cough cough**

Those are some good ideas. Calderon would be an interesting addition.

Pacersalltheway10
07-03-2012, 08:50 PM
It sucks because Nash on the Pacers makes the most sense for both sides but unlikely to happen. And we have a star in EJ who wants to come home and we don't really have the space to sign him and NO will probably match anyway.

PacersPride
07-03-2012, 09:18 PM

i agree 99.9 %. top priority this offseason is pg imo. the right style of pg. nash may lack defense, but his ability to distribute and score offensively tips the scales toward signing him for 3 seasons. the only... AND I MEAN THE ONLY.. reason pacers do not sign nash is his age and chance of injury. which happens to be one of the reasons Gordon is a risk.

if Gordon were not from here would the Pacers really be interested?? Granted the the only reason Gordon wants to play here.. but SG is not the position of need. I am comfortable with George/Granger wing.

Nash would make Hibbert and George both better players long term. Nash is everything you want in a pg except defense. the other positive is the pacers have depth and will not need to play nash more than 28 minutes a game. which could keep him healthy the duration of his contract.

there is no doubt a healthy Steve Nash with this roster is a 60 win team and an ECF finalist expectations.

vnzla81
07-03-2012, 09:23 PM
I think is time to let this dream die, Steve Nash is not coming here.

OlBlu
07-03-2012, 09:25 PM

It was dead before it started.....:cool:

OlBlu
07-03-2012, 09:27 PM
i agree 99.9 %. top priority this offseason is pg imo. the right style of pg. nash may lack defense, but his ability to distribute and score offensively tips the scales toward signing him for 3 seasons. the only... AND I MEAN THE ONLY.. reason pacers do not sign nash is his age and chance of injury. which happens to be one of the reasons Gordon is a risk.

if Gordon were not from here would the Pacers really be interested?? Granted the the only reason Gordon wants to play here.. but SG is not the position of need. I am comfortable with George/Granger wing.

Nash would make Hibbert and George both better players long term. Nash is everything you want in a pg except defense. the other positive is the pacers have depth and will not need to play nash more than 28 minutes a game. which could keep him healthy the duration of his contract.

there is no doubt a healthy Steve Nash with this roster is a 60 win team and an ECF finalist expectations.

There is a whole lot of doubt about the Pacers winning 60 games with Steve Nash. You have to win 50 first and I'm not sure they would do that. I would certainly bet against them coming anywhere close to sixty wins. In the playoffs, they would be eaten alive by Miami, Boston, Chicago and perhaps by Brooklyn!!.........:cool:

PacersPride
07-03-2012, 09:37 PM
There is a whole lot of doubt about the Pacers winning 60 games with Steve Nash. You have to win 50 first and I'm not sure they would do that. I would certainly bet against them coming anywhere close to sixty wins. In the playoffs, they would be eaten alive by Miami, Boston, Chicago and perhaps by Brooklyn!!.........:cool:

pacers based on an 82 game schedule last year im guessing were around 53 wins. that is with new players in west, hill, barbosa, lou.. along with a new coach and a shortened season.

this year hibbert george have more experience and should improve. west is healthier, along with having a training camp.

so im not sure where the "whole lot of doubt" comes from. eaten alive is a strong term.. considering we match up very well against all 4 of those teams, with the exception of brooklyn if they add howard.

bottom line.

the chances of winning a championship increase with Nash not decrease. do you disagree, if so explain.

* adding Nash would be the equivalent to adding a Peyton Manning.

PacersPride
07-03-2012, 09:44 PM

link?

OlBlu
07-03-2012, 09:45 PM
pacers based on an 82 game schedule last year im guessing were around 53 wins. that is with new players in west, hill, barbosa, lou.. along with a new coach and a shortened season.

this year hibbert george have more experience and should improve. west is healthier, along with having a training camp.

so im not sure where the "whole lot of doubt" comes from. eaten alive is a strong term.. considering we match up very well against all 4 of those teams, with the exception of brooklyn if they add howard.

bottom line.

the chances of winning a championship increase with Nash not decrease. do you disagree, if so explain.

* adding Nash would be the equivalent to adding a Peyton Manning.

Nash is almost 40, he can't defend at all. The Pacers played over their head last year. They weren't as good as they appeared. They do not match up well with those four teams and as currently constructed might get swept by any of the four. It isn't clear to me that they are better than Philadelphia. They had a good run. I would not be surprised if they won at that level again but I expect they will come back about five games or so. Nash had a far better team than the Pacers in Arizona for several years and he couldn't lead them anywhere. They got in the playoffs and his style of play got them waltzed right out again. Nash need an extreme uptempo team to be at his best. That isn't the Pacers. I don't think he fits with them at all and I don't think it would work but the point is moot, we are not going to match Toronto's offer and he is smart enough not to come to the Pacers anyway. I love the Pacers and I was happy to see them do well but there is irrational exhuberance about this team on the forum. Everyone needs a big dose of reality. The Pacers are no better than the fifth or sixth team in the east right now. They may be lower than that after all of the trades and signings are made or they might be better. But I know Nash ain't the answer and neither is Gordon......:cool:

OlBlu
07-03-2012, 09:47 PM
link?

He doesn't need a link. Toronto offered $36 million over three years and the Pacers would be complete fools to make an offer anything close to that and they won't......:cool:

LoneGranger33
07-03-2012, 09:48 PM
I wonder what Nash could do with a McGee.

vnzla81
07-03-2012, 09:50 PM
link?

Toronto expending close to 50mil to get him, The Lakers,Dallas and New York interested in him pretty much give us a 0000.1% chance of getting him, no link needed.

cdash
07-03-2012, 09:56 PM

You are just now coming to this conclusion?

Pacerized
07-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Toronto expending close to 50mil to get him, The Lakers,Dallas and New York interested in him pretty much give us a 0000.1% chance of getting him, no link needed.

Toronto is offering 12/36 on a very bad team. We're not that far off on what we can offer on a very good team and it's a lot more money then any other good team. What were our odds last year of landing West when the Celtics wanted him?
I think our odds of landing Nash are better.

15th parallel
07-03-2012, 10:26 PM
What's the most essential position that needs to be improved right now? So far, the Pacers is being linked with players of several positions, except probably at SF and PF. Nash at PG, Gordon, Mayo, Crawford, Lee at SG, and of course Hibbert and Kaman at C.

Since you can only get a player or two because of limited cap, probably, (unless there will be trades or other moves, or if some of the mentioned players come in cheap), what kind of player should be the focus of getting right now given the team's make-up?

If I were to choose, I will go all out to get Nash simply because we need improvement on offense and Nash will be they key to that. Our defense last season is above-average (top-10 probably, correct me if I'm wrong). The issue the team had is offense. While it will hurt the chances of getting back Hibbert, I think the risk is worth it.

Of course it is relatively unknown what are the chances of Nash being interested in the Pacers (right now, all news coming out are not yet verified). But should Nash positively respond to Pacers reaching out to him, then I'll he'll be my #1 priority. Then whatever is left of the cap, we can try lure out other FAs.

Smoothdave1
07-03-2012, 10:30 PM
I think a conversation went like this:

KP (to Nash's agent): "We're interested in signing Steve to the Pacers"
Nash's agent: "Umm, Steve has no desire to come to Indy. Thanks for the interest"

Two minutes later KP says to Walsh: "Let's resign Hill to a 5 year/38 million dollar deal"

PacersPride
07-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Nash is almost 40, he can't defend at all. The Pacers played over their head last year. They weren't as good as they appeared. They do not match up well with those four teams and as currently constructed might get swept by any of the four. It isn't clear to me that they are better than Philadelphia. They had a good run. I would not be surprised if they won at that level again but I expect they will come back about five games or so. Nash had a far better team than the Pacers in Arizona for several years and he couldn't lead them anywhere. They got in the playoffs and his style of play got them waltzed right out again. Nash need an extreme uptempo team to be at his best. That isn't the Pacers. I don't think he fits with them at all and I don't think it would work but the point is moot, we are not going to match Toronto's offer and he is smart enough not to come to the Pacers anyway. I love the Pacers and I was happy to see them do well but there is irrational exhuberance about this team on the forum. Everyone needs a big dose of reality. The Pacers are no better than the fifth or sixth team in the east right now. They may be lower than that after all of the trades and signings are made or they might be better. But I know Nash ain't the answer and neither is Gordon......:cool:

* I do not care how old Nash is as long as he continues to play. Correct if im wrong but how many games did Nash miss last year. or the year before that. would you object to signing a healthy 38 year old Peyton Manning. or a 40 year old Joe Montana. age is only a number. brett favre i believe proved that. so please cease with the age issue. its irrelevant under these unique circumstances.

* i dont know who can determine and have the authority to declare whther the blue and gold played above expectations or not. since vogel took over this team has been playing over their heads right. maybe this team is good. there are so many avenues to apporach this .. i just assume u dont get it. as i eluded to earlier. hibbert george hill dc are all still very young players. west is recovering. granger is steady and not overpaid in todays nba market. new players last season and with a full training camp lets see what this team can do. i may look it at the glass half full but i am realistic about it. which is the exact reason this team needs a pg and Nash is one of the best in the game today still. the bonuse would be the added maturity a player like nash brings and that helps our young core advance in numerous ways.

i pretty much am just going to disagree. if montana, elway, manning, favre type player comes along and you have everything but a general on the court you go for it.

this teams chance at adding a key piece is now. not to say it cannot happen later but now is as good a time as any.

nash
george
granger
west
hibbert

hill dc johnson hansbrough plumlee price lance deep bench young. the effect west had on this group would be doubled by the presense of nash.

He doesn't need a link. Toronto offered $36 million over three years and the Pacers would be complete fools to make an offer anything close to that and they won't......:cool:

we have the cash to spend on one free agent. tell me one other one out there better than nash. williams is gone. gordon is injury prone. nash would give this team a leader in the playoffs. give us a chance to win vs the elite of this league. that is all we can ask for as fans. i give Nash 12 M to play hear for three seasons without blinking an eye.

Steagles
07-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Remember age means nothing if you can play. David Justice had a great year for the A's that year were the Yankees paid him to play for the A's because he was pushing 40. Randy Johnson and Jaime Moyer pitched well into their late 40's.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk

Pacersalltheway10
07-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Jamie Moyers still pitching

Hicks
07-04-2012, 12:06 AM
If this is the case then I think we have low balled Nash. Even at this age/stage of his career. 10mill per is what we gave West and imo Nash would have a greater impact on this team than West has had. If it takes 12mill to get Nash, do it. Have Hill as the scoring guard off the bench, like he was in SA.

I wouldn't have considered it a low ball offer before I heard about what Toronto if offering. I didn't think anybody would go higher than 10.

Hicks
07-04-2012, 12:09 AM

Theoretically, sure. No one has signed anything. You could bring them all in and sign them the same day, just make sure Nash signed first.

Shade
07-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Robert Randolph ‏@rrtfb
steve nash has agreed to play for the #nyknicks!!!!! #3peat #dynasty!!!!

If this is true, then son of a *****.

vnzla81
07-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Not going to lie I like that for him, NY is the best fit for him.

3rdStrike
07-04-2012, 11:48 AM
No it isn't. Melo doesn't fit with a Nash type point guard. Lin ran pick and rolls and dominated the ball under D'Antoni's system. That's what Nash's game is all about. Melo pouted then, he'll pout now. They're likely losing Landry Fields and Lin, neither Nash nor Melo play defense, etc. It's good for Tyson Chandler and Amar'e, but Melo is not about winning basketball.

Anyway, not sure if I buy that tweet. 3 peat? what?

Hicks
07-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Robert Randolph ‏@rrtfb
steve nash has agreed to play for the #nyknicks!!!!! #3peat #dynasty!!!!

If this is true, then son of a *****.

Who is Robert Randolph?

Shade
07-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Who is Robert Randolph?

A friend of James Dolan's.

Steagles
07-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Jamie Moyers still pitching

He got cut by the Rockies and he's not employed right now.

Mourning
07-04-2012, 12:10 PM
I am assuming PG is gone if you trade for EJ.

An extra incentive IMHO to go all out on Nash and not EJ.

Mourning
07-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Not going to lie I like that for him, NY is the best fit for him.

Err... no it isn't. That Melo guy loves to dominate the ball more the is good for him and his team.

CompACE
07-04-2012, 12:15 PM

Geez way to be a negative nancy about every single Indiana sports team. Next thing you'll tell me is that the Indianapolis Indians will never make the big leagues....:cool:

Steagles
07-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Geez way to be a negative nancy about every single Indiana sports team. Next thing you'll tell me is that the Indianapolis Indians will never make the big leagues....:cool:

And if that was said I can confidently call BS: Gorkys Hernandez got called up to the Show today!

Gamble1
07-04-2012, 12:24 PM
An extra incentive IMHO to go all out on Nash and not EJ.

I certainly wouldn't be mad either way but the way things are looking basically we aren't going to get either one.

I certainly value the point guard position more than the SG but really there isn't much out there unless the Pacers trade for one. Dragic will be sorely overpaid and the ROckets will hold on to Lowry who I believe would be a step up from what the Pacers have.

What really conerns me is that next year FA pg class is even weaker since 99% of the FA are indeed RFA's that won't go anywhere. Chris Paul will probably stay and that was the 1% not a RFA so I don't see how the Pacers make an upgrade at the pg position unless they trade for one.

Mourning
07-04-2012, 12:31 PM
I certainly wouldn't be mad either way but the way things are looking basically we aren't going to get either one.

I certainly value the point guard position more than the SG but really there isn't much out there unless the Pacers trade for one. Dragic will be sorely overpaid and the ROckets will hold on to Lowry who I believe would be a step up from what the Pacers have.

What really conerns me is that next year FA pg class is even weaker since 99% of the FA are indeed RFA's that won't go anywhere. Chris Paul will probably stay and that was the 1% not a RFA so I don't see how the Pacers make an upgrade at the pg position unless they trade for one.

I agree almost completely, though I do feel that Lowry is obtainable for us. He's clearly not happy being the backup unhappy players can have a negative impact on the team, meaning the Rockets could be forced to deal him, lowering his trade value with a little bit of luck. Dude really felt like he was played by the team IF I remember correctly.

We can give them another good backup PG with a small contract. We can give them a pick, albeit it a pretty low one. We have more players on small contracts who know their role and aren't detrimental to the team (Dahntay for example). I don't think it's impossible to acquire Lowry. The FO has to want it too though.

Gamble1
07-04-2012, 12:40 PM
I agree almost completely, though I do feel that Lowry is obtainable for us. He's clearly not happy being the backup unhappy players can have a negative impact on the team, meaning the Rockets could be forced to deal him, lowering his trade value with a little bit of luck. Dude really felt like he was played by the team IF I remember correctly.

We can give them another good backup PG with a small contract. We can give them a pick, albeit it a pretty low one. We have more players on small contracts who know their role and aren't detrimental to the team (Dahntay for example). I don't think it's impossible to acquire Lowry. The FO has to want it too though.
IF Dragic signs with the Rockets then we can make a run at Lowry but I highly doubt that happens. You don't pay more for the same production if you can afford not to and I doubt that Lowry is totally set on being trade to some unknown team.

Mourning
07-04-2012, 12:42 PM
IF Dragic signs with the Rockets then we can make a run at Lowry but I highly doubt that happens. You don't pay more for the same production if you can afford not to and I doubt that Lowry is totally set on being trade to some unknown team.

Yeah, true what I wrote is dependant on Houston signing a PG to a nice expensive contract. Dragic and Lin both have been mentioned and if Omer Asik is any indication of how the Rockets FO works in Free Agency I am fairly positive we could get Lowry, who has a nice contract btw.

CableKC
07-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Toronto made a $50 mil offer to him? I thought that it was $12 mil per year / 3 year offer?

vnzla81
07-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Toronto made a $50 mil offer to him? I thought that it was $12 mil per year / 3 year offer?

36mil in salary plus the money they are going to pay Landry Field to make sure NY doesn't get Nash, 56mil total.

PR07
07-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Sounds like Knicks are offering 3 year 30 million dollar deal (so 10 per), much like we were expecting the Pacers to hopefully make an offer for. Looks like he wants to play in New York.

PacerPenguins
07-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Evan Sidery ‏@ESidery
Official: Steve Nash has been traded to the Knicks.

vnzla81
07-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Evan Sidery ‏@ESidery

Don't trust that guy.

Steagles
07-04-2012, 01:49 PM
The New York Knicks have offered Iman Shumpert to the Phoenix Suns in a sign-and-trade designed to bring Steve Nash to the Big Apple, according to Marc Stein of ESPN.

The package would also include other pieces as the Knicks attempt to lure Nash, the two-time MVP.

The Knicks had been interested in including Landry Fields in a sign-and-trade to land Nash, but Fields put a wrench into those plans by signing an offer sheet with the Toronto Raptors. The Knicks were reportedly hesitant to include the talented Shumpert in the deal, but have apparently decided to do so.

New York is still interested in retaining Jeremy Lin, who is perusing other options as a restricted free agent. They have long been interested in Nash, who averaged 12.5 points and 10.7 assists and remains one of the NBA's top point guards even at age 37.

The Los Angeles Lakers are also reportedly interested in acquiring Nash via trade, and the Toronto Raptors have already offered him a large contract worth in the vicinity of $36 million over three years.

Link (http://newyork.sbnation.com/new-york-knicks/2012/7/4/3137244/nba-free-agency-rumors-2012-steve-nash-new-york-knicks-phoenix-suns)

Shade
07-04-2012, 02:52 PM
This sucks. Knuck the Ficks.

Kstat
07-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Credit them for being pro-active despite not having any cap room....

idioteque
07-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Knicks really going into win-now mode

Pacersalltheway10
07-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Super Teams, Assemble!!!

Kstat
07-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Hey, I'm enjoying this. The more power teams in the east, the better.

CJ Jones
07-04-2012, 04:04 PM
uh... how's that good? ^

PR07
07-04-2012, 04:06 PM
If possible, looks like the Knicks will be playing even less defense this year.

OlBlu
07-04-2012, 04:08 PM
If possible, looks like the Knicks will be playing even less defense this year.

But they will be fun to watch and they will just outscore some teams.....:cool:

Doddage
07-04-2012, 04:10 PM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-M0sb-bXjM-U/TlQBLKsVSPI/AAAAAAAAAbo/nUT9s3K1hfg/mj_popcorn.gif

Melo Drama Part 2

Kstat
07-04-2012, 04:14 PM
uh... how's that good? ^
Because it makes for more entertaining matchups and less mediocrity.

I worry about my own team getting better more than i do other teams not getting better.

Sollozzo
07-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Nash will average 15 assists this season if he goes there. At worst, a Knicks team with Nash on it is the third best team in an Eastern Conference without D-Rose. Them and Boston would be pretty close, but I'll still give the edge to Boston.

granger4mvp
07-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Well not to a Debbie downer but it's gonna be rough to get into the playoffs everyone got better but us

OlBlu
07-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Well not to a Debbie downer but it's gonna be rough to get into the playoffs everyone got better but us

There is a big difference between being a Debbie Downer and a Wendy Whiner.........:cool:

ballism
07-04-2012, 04:27 PM
it's too bad if they lose Shumpert, he would be the perfect SG for that team.

anyway, this will be the most talented Nash team, if fit issues and bad knees don't get out of control. Maybe the 2005 Suns, but they went down with playoff injuries.

xIndyFan
07-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Evan Sidery ‏@ESidery

Don't trust that guy.

no trades are allowed during the July moratorium. so v81 is right about not trusting the source. :laugh:

Hicks
07-04-2012, 04:31 PM

Boy you guys love to assume the worst.

pacersgroningen
07-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Are the Knicks going over the luxury tax threshold by doing this sign and trade? I am a bit too lazy to work it all out, but aren't the Knicks going to be sending out about as much salary as they have coming in, given that they're over the salary cap?

ballism
07-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Are the Knicks going over the luxury tax threshold by doing this sign and trade?
by just doing this SnT, no.
but once they are done with all their moves, probably.
depends on who they trade, do they sign Lin, do they they use exceptions.

I am a bit too lazy to work it all out, but aren't the Knicks going to be sending out about as much salary as they have coming in, given that they're over the salary cap?
i do wonder how the deal will look.
I'd guess the Suns take as little money as possible. e.g. Shumpert and Novak (or some other expired piece) via sign&trade, with as little guaranteed money as possible, just to make the deal work.

Hypnotiq
07-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Well we just went down a peg in the east if NY get Nash

rabid
07-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Because it makes for more entertaining matchups and less mediocrity.

Have to disagree here. Concentrating all the talent on a few teams actually ***by definition*** results in LESS entertaining matchups and MORE mediocrity.

It's simple math.

If the conference ends up with, say, 2-3 super-duper-star teams, 1 or 2 competitive teams and a bunch of crappy teams, most of the games are going to be tough to watch. For every Brooklyn-Miami game you'll have 5 or 6 games of the Milwaukee vs. Toronto, Charlotte vs. Orlando-without-Howard variety. In other words, mediocrity.

Therefore, count me in the pro-parity camp. As an example, the NFL is a lot more exciting to me than it was 15 years ago because you truly have a wide number of competitive teams and even if your team stinks, good management can rebuild a team into a contender within a few years, even in small markets, so you never feel as a fan that your situation is hopeless.

This is why I thought Miami winning it all was the worst thing to happen to fans of small market NBA teams (i.e. MOST OF THE TEAMS). Because inevitably star players and GMs with money to spend (large markets) around the league will try to copy that model to win (who could blame them?). Sure there are smallish markets like San Antonio and OKC that will succeed but they will become even fewer and farther between.

EDIT: This tendency is not unique the NBA, all USA pro sports have this problem to an extent, or at least the risk - it's human nature to use whatever power you have as a pro athlete to get to the best situation you can, and for GMs to put together the best teams they can. But not every market has the same resources to draw from and this is why smarter and healthier leagues put mechanisms in place to maintain parity in the league if possible.

Just my 2 cents. The last thing I want to see the NBA become is an MLB-style system where everyone eliminates 3/4 of the league from from serious conversation before the season even starts.

2nd edit: I will grant that games between superteams are exciting to watch, and in a league with 3-4 awesome teams you might see higher quality playoff series in later rounds. But I don't think that makes up for the damage caused to the other 25 or so teams...

SycamoreKen
07-04-2012, 05:31 PM
I will say i am glad he is going there instead of an irrelevant place like Toronto to finish his career. It will be interesting to see how that team fits together and if Amare is healthy.

TheDon
07-04-2012, 06:40 PM
the NBA where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer...honestly that's becoming the norm pretty much everywhere...but that's another argument for another board.

Sollozzo
07-04-2012, 06:47 PM
I will say i am glad he is going there instead of an irrelevant place like Toronto to finish his career. It will be interesting to see how that team fits together and if Amare is healthy.

Even though I could never root for the Knicks franchise to succeed, I do agree that it will be very entertaining. I don't like the Knicks, but I would still rather see this than him go to worthless Toronto.

idioteque
07-04-2012, 06:51 PM
Even though I could never root for the Knicks franchise to succeed, I do agree that it will be very entertaining. I don't like the Knicks, but I would still rather see this than him go to worthless Toronto.

As a Pacers fan, if he's not going to Indiana I'd love for him to go to the Bobcats, or better yet stay out of the East altogether.

But as a basketball fan, yeah, I get what you're saying. Just hard for me to think this way from a self-interested perspective.

Shade
07-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Have to disagree here. Concentrating all the talent on a few teams actually ***by definition*** results in LESS entertaining matchups and MORE mediocrity.

It's simple math.

If the conference ends up with, say, 2-3 super-duper-star teams, 1 or 2 competitive teams and a bunch of crappy teams, most of the games are going to be tough to watch. For every Brooklyn-Miami game you'll have 5 or 6 games of the Milwaukee vs. Toronto, Charlotte vs. Orlando-without-Howard variety. In other words, mediocrity.

Therefore, count me in the pro-parity camp. As an example, the NFL is a lot more exciting to me than it was 15 years ago because you truly have a wide number of competitive teams and even if your team stinks, good management can rebuild a team into a contender within a few years, even in small markets, so you never feel as a fan that your situation is hopeless.

This is why I thought Miami winning it all was the worst thing to happen to fans of small market NBA teams (i.e. MOST OF THE TEAMS). Because inevitably star players and GMs with money to spend (large markets) around the league will try to copy that model to win (who could blame them?). Sure there are smallish markets like San Antonio and OKC that will succeed but they will become even fewer and farther between.

EDIT: This tendency is not unique the NBA, all USA pro sports have this problem to an extent, or at least the risk - it's human nature to use whatever power you have as a pro athlete to get to the best situation you can, and for GMs to put together the best teams they can. But not every market has the same resources to draw from and this is why smarter and healthier leagues put mechanisms in place to maintain parity in the league if possible.

Just my 2 cents. The last thing I want to see the NBA become is an MLB-style system where everyone eliminates 3/4 of the league from from serious conversation before the season even starts.

2nd edit: I will grant that games between superteams are exciting to watch, and in a league with 3-4 awesome teams you might see higher quality playoff series in later rounds. But I don't think that makes up for the damage caused to the other 25 or so teams...

Excellent post. 100% agreed.

Pacerized
07-04-2012, 07:35 PM
You guys make it sound like it's a done deal that Nash is going to NY. I don't see anything other then speculation by a reporter that the Knicks are in the lead to land him. We knew they were trying just as we are along with several other teams. We can still offer more money on a better team. I think we should move Jones in order to match Torontos offer. Then Nash would be looking at 36 mil on a contending team in the Pacers vs 25 mil on a lesser team in the Knicks.

OlBlu
07-04-2012, 07:48 PM
You guys make it sound like it's a done deal that Nash is going to NY. I don't see anything other then speculation by a reporter that the Knicks are in the lead to land him. We knew they were trying just as we are along with several other teams. We can still offer more money on a better team. I think we should move Jones in order to match Torontos offer. Then Nash would be looking at 36 mil on a contending team in the Pacers vs 25 mil on a lesser team in the Knicks.

It doesn't matter how many threads you post this on, it is still crap.......:cool:

HC
07-04-2012, 07:55 PM
the NBA where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer...honestly that's becoming the norm pretty much everywhere...but that's another argument for another board.

My avatar and the team he plays for would like to respectfully disagree.

Pacerized
07-04-2012, 07:56 PM
It doesn't matter how many threads you post this on, it is still crap.......:cool:

That's exactly what I think about everything you've ever posted.
What I stated is a fact, he's not off the market. It's also a fact that you are a troll. I don't really care that much, I just ignore what you say most of the time. At some point you'll be banned for making comments like this as you should be, and life will go on.
Honestly admins, at what point is enough enough?

OlBlu
07-04-2012, 08:18 PM
That's exactly what I think about everything you've ever posted.
What I stated is a fact, he's not off the market. It's also a fact that you are a troll. I don't really care that much, I just ignore what you say most of the time. At some point you'll be banned for making comments like this as you should be, and life will go on.
Honestly admins, at what point is enough enough?

You are the one posting the same thing over and over again on different threads. I am not a troll and you can ask Hicks if you don't believe me. I won't be banned because I don't step out of line. What I said was fact he is going to NY. He wouldn't come here if you paid him double the money and thank God for that.......:cool:

PacerPenguins
07-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA
The Los Angeles Lakers have acquired Steve Nash in a sign-and-trade with the Phoenix Suns, says source close to the situation. Done deal.

WoW

Hypnotiq
07-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Lol what a joke

Pacerized
07-04-2012, 08:27 PM
You are the one posting the same thing over and over again on different threads. I am not a troll and you can ask Hicks if you don't believe me. I won't be banned because I don't step out of line. What I said was fact he is going to NY. He wouldn't come here if you paid him double the money and thank God for that.......:cool:

I quoted what you said, and it is out of line.
If all you said was that he was going to NY, I'd take no offense to that but it's not a fact. No one has reported that Nash has even came to a verbal agreement with any team. We may not be making the headlines but the Pacers weren't listed as favorites to land West last year either. I know you don't want Nash and that's fine. IMO if they matched Toronto's offer, we should be the logical choice for Nash and as much as I hate overpaying, we need to do it.

Hoop
07-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Yep, ESPN just said Nash to LA.

Hypnotiq
07-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Why didnt we offer crap draft picks like the Lakers ughhh

PacerPenguins
07-04-2012, 08:30 PM
at least he's staying out west

PacerPenguins
07-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Why didnt we offer crap draft picks like the Lakers ughhh

I think he made it clear that he doesn't want to come here. I don't want a player that doesn't want to play for us.

SycamoreKen
07-04-2012, 08:32 PM
The Lakers get him for just draft picks? Really? This league is a joke if that is true.

BornReady
07-04-2012, 08:33 PM
wow. picks?

OlBlu
07-04-2012, 08:34 PM
I quoted what you said, and it is out of line.
If all you said was that he was going to NY, I'd take no offense to that but it's not a fact. No one has reported that Nash has even came to a verbal agreement with any team. We may not be making the headlines but the Pacers weren't listed as favorites to land West last year either. I know you don't want Nash and that's fine. IMO if they matched Toronto's offer, we should be the logical choice for Nash and as much as I hate overpaying, we need to do it.

The news is he may be headed to the Lakers. You can say all you want but Nash is not coming to the Pacers if they offered him a max contract........:cool:

3rdStrike
07-04-2012, 08:36 PM
The Lakers get him for just draft picks? Really? This league is a joke if that is true.

Why? They still have to pay him. Draft picks are probably the best thing the Suns felt they could get in a S&T, and Nash wanted to do what was best for the Suns. They're not looking to contend next year or likely the year after.