PDA

View Full Version : Storm in VA/DC/MD

vapacersfan
06-30-2012, 06:15 PM
All posters from the DMV good after the storm today?

We have power and internet now, but we have a crap ton of down trees.

All power lights are out here in Northern Virginia, but they are slowly getting them back on track.

Stay safe everyone, stay off the roads if you dont need to be

vapacersfan
06-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Just declared a state of emergency.

Also 911 centers all over are crashing, they are encouraging folks to call other numbers and not use 911

idioteque
06-30-2012, 07:03 PM
No problems in my DC neighborhood at all. My wife went over to Pentagon City Mall and said she saw lines of people waiting to charge their phones on the public outlets. There are storms like this fairly regularly in Indiana in the summer and its never THIS big of a deal, but then again this is the DC area, where if someone coughs too loud the power goes out.

vapacersfan
06-30-2012, 07:39 PM
To be fair we have not had a storm this bad in like 10 years, and this storm seemed to come out of no where.

Lines at the gas station literally were blocking up the streets in some parts of VA today, and we were in a sweet frog and the power went out. The flip side was we got free ice cream

avoidingtheclowns
06-30-2012, 07:44 PM
There are storms like this fairly regularly in Indiana in the summer and its never THIS big of a deal, but then again this is the DC area, where if someone coughs too loud the power goes out.

Actually that same derecho (or at least a similar one) ripped through Northeastern IN (Ft Wayne to Muncie-ish area) yesterday afternoon. 100,000+ still without power and the estimation is it'll be 4ish days before it's restored. Not quite DC's 1.3 million but... (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-thunderstorms-knock-out-power-across-region-leaving-2-dead/2012/06/30/gJQAB9MbDW_story.html?hpid=z1)

http://linapps.s3.amazonaws.com/linapps/photomojo/wane.com/photos/2012/06/g3335-june-29-severe-weather/67214-82029.jpg (http://interactives.wane.com/photomojo/gallery/3335/67214/june-29-severe-weather/roof-torn-off/)
(via Wane.com (http://interactives.wane.com/photomojo/gallery/3335/67214/june-29-severe-weather/roof-torn-off/))

vapacersfan
06-30-2012, 07:46 PM
Just drove by the high school down the street. A huge tree fell over and crushed a car right out front of the school

pacer4ever
06-30-2012, 08:40 PM
My Gma was driving though there today going on vacation and they ran out of gas and are stuck there until the power gets back on and they can get gas.

vapacersfan
06-30-2012, 09:19 PM
My Gma was driving though there today going on vacation and they ran out of gas and are stuck there until the power gets back on and they can get gas.

What state? Do they have a hotel or some kind of arrangement set up?

pacer4ever
06-30-2012, 09:23 PM
What state? Do they have a hotel or some kind of arrangement set up?

In Virginia they said they found a hotel but that must of sucked out of gas trying to fill up and it wont let you. I hope everyone else is ok looked really bad from what I have seen.

vapacersfan
06-30-2012, 09:55 PM
In Virginia they said they found a hotel but that must of sucked out of gas trying to fill up and it wont let you. I hope everyone else is ok looked really bad from what I have seen.

Yeah, that really sucks.

I know its late so disregard if you like, but PM me if you know what city they are in and if they are close to me I can see if they need anything.

I heard the gas stations were nuts today, but I did see a couple that didnt have long lines. Granted, Virginia is a big state and she could be on the other side of the state.......

jeffg-body
06-30-2012, 10:17 PM
We got hit pretty hard in the central Indiana area yesterday. I got the pleasure of seeing our transformer for my work and the neighboring Arbys basically explode and a telephone across the street was on fire as well. It is amazing how everyone goes up to the windows to watch when a storm is tearing it up outside. We never did get power on yesterday and ended up closing the doors early because you can't sell carparts without the ability to use our systems. Hopefully you guys get things restored quicker.

Bball
07-01-2012, 12:18 PM
The Mayan's weren't kidding.... ;)

jeffg-body
07-01-2012, 10:50 PM
I have been talking to my wife and friends for two years about the Mayan's and how weather is getting more and more extreme. They all laughed at me and said I was crazy. I can't argue that I am not crazy but it is pretty funny when they bring it up in a conversation.