PDA

View Full Version : OT: Dish Service ???

indygeezer
02-12-2004, 07:25 AM
This may get moved but that's ok, not certain where OT's go on this site.

The wife and I are thinking of dropping Comcast and going with a satellite.

Good decision or bad???

Which service to use? We have available Dish Network and Direct TV...don't need HBO or such as that. (oh yeah...older TV's not digital or hi def...maybe next year).

How much can you negotiate with the providers? How much shopping around is necessary or is it all determined by Dish/Direct ???

I might mention we would like service for 4-5 tvs.

Ragnar
02-12-2004, 08:37 AM
Direct TV they has the most NBA programing.

I like direct TV on its own over cable or Dish network. I know our satelite bills are smaller than our cable bill was and we have more channels (Including NBA TV)

ChicagoJ
02-12-2004, 11:19 AM
I might mention we would like service for 4-5 tvs.

That has historically been the "knock" on the dish - the extra cost per receiver per television. We're a one TV family (all I watch is basketball so we rarely fight over the remote) so I can't speak to how its working currently.

(*EDIT*) For NBA purposes, DirecTV > Dish Network.

Ragnar
02-12-2004, 11:22 AM
Good point I am not sure about 5 TV's but you pay extra for each cable box also. To get the basketball you will need the extra boxes.

I have four TV's with my dish no problem but it is a four reciever dish.

Hicks
02-12-2004, 11:48 AM
This may get moved but that's ok, not certain where OT's go on this site.

For clarifiction to all, Off Topic posts can go on either board. Typically if it's about Sports other than the NBA it goes on the Pub, and Politics are creeping up over there as well. That, and posts that really don't have purpose. Anything else can pretty much go on either one.

russkiy
02-12-2004, 01:28 PM
Can some one explain how NBA and sport is better on DirecTV the Dish Network?

Ragnar
02-12-2004, 01:42 PM

It may have changed but it at least used to be that you got more sports channels with Direct Tv. Even if the game is not on NBA League pass you could still get it on a regional sports channel.

Hicks
02-12-2004, 01:46 PM

It may have changed but it at least used to be that you got more sports channels with Direct Tv. Even if the game is not on NBA League pass you could still get it on a regional sports channel.

Why would a game not be on league pass? Isn't that what you pay for? Total access?

Ragnar
02-12-2004, 01:50 PM

Why would a game not be on league pass? Isn't that what you pay for? Total access?

You would think but usually there is one or two that are not on league pass for whatever reason.

Plus if Dish network does not have NBA TV yet you would miss part of the first round. (they may I dont know)

Booger
02-12-2004, 02:00 PM
You would think but usually there is one or two that are not on league pass for whatever reason.

Plus if Dish network does not have NBA TV yet you would miss part of the first round. (they may I dont know)

Yeah, it took Dish Network a little while to catch up to Direct TV, but they have done so the past couple years. The only thing you lose now when comparing Direct TV to Dish is the ability to purchase the NFL Sunday Ticket, which can only be done on Direct TV. Dish Network has had NBA TV for the past couple of seasons that I know of.

I had Direct TV for a couple years before I bought a new house last summer. Switched to Dish Network then due to a promotion they have. Personally, I like Dish Network a little better now. They're very similar though, and I'm probably in the minority on this.

ChicagoJ
02-12-2004, 05:14 PM

This happened from time-to-time in the past when TBS or TNT would decide to drop a previously scheduled national tv game and broadcast another one at the same time. The "dropped" game would get lost in the shuffle. Now that TNT has exclusive rights to Thursdays, it doesn't happen as much.

The Toronto and Vancouver games used to be a little tricky to pick up - they were sometimes on that Canadian network (CBC?)

It also happens for most of the matinee games on MLK day.

There are a few other odd-ball occurences, you get > 99% of the games on the LP and there is usually a way to get the other 1% if the game you care about is in that 1%. Having access to NBA-TV and about forty regional sports networks increases that probability.

If somebody proves that NBA-TV is available on Dish Network (it didn't use to be) then I'll edit my previous post to only have one '>' sign. Perhaps that problem only affects certain digital cable subscribers now?

indygeezer
02-12-2004, 05:25 PM
:dance: :pepper: Oh I can see Mrs Geezer is gonna LOVE this :pepper: :dance:

:soundoff: :mad::swordfight::mad: :soundoff:

:jump:

Booger
02-12-2004, 05:27 PM

This happened from time-to-time in the past when TBS or TNT would decide to drop a previously scheduled national tv game and broadcast another one at the same time. The "dropped" game would get lost in the shuffle. Now that TNT has exclusive rights to Thursdays, it doesn't happen as much.

The Toronto and Vancouver games used to be a little tricky to pick up - they were sometimes on that Canadian network (CBC?)

It also happens for most of the matinee games on MLK day.

There are a few other odd-ball occurences, you get > 99% of the games on the LP and there is usually a way to get the other 1% if the game you care about is in that 1%. Having access to NBA-TV and about forty regional sports networks increases that probability.

If somebody proves that NBA-TV is available on Dish Network (it didn't use to be) then I'll edit my previous post to only have one '>' sign. Perhaps that problem only affects certain digital cable subscribers now?

I can confirm that Dish has NBA-TV now . . . it's channel 560, although since it's the first year I've had it, I can't confirm if Dish had it in the past.

I get two or three Fox Sports Net channels which also have games sometimes. I think for more $ a month, you can get unlimited Fox Net channels too.

ChicagoJ
02-12-2004, 05:30 PM

Done. One ">" to represent the additional regional sports networks (we haven't mentioned this but its also useful for out-of-market pregame/ postgame shows) and the ability to add on the Sunday Ticket.

indygeezer
02-12-2004, 05:33 PM
I just noticed in a brochure I have that Fox Sports net is included in the Medium priced package (gotta go to the $49/mo to get Golf Channel tho) the NBA TV is included in the $83/mo group but any of the progamming can buy Multi-sport pak for added $6/mo.

Now if Fox Sports Net includes Fox Midwest I can go with the cheaper and get all the Pacer games as I do on cable.

Booger
02-12-2004, 05:38 PM
I just noticed in a brochure I have that Fox Sports net is included in the Medium priced package (gotta go to the $49/mo to get Golf Channel tho) the NBA TV is included in the $83/mo group but any of the progamming can buy Multi-sport pak for added $6/mo.

Now if Fox Sports Net includes Fox Midwest I can go with the cheaper and get all the Pacer games as I do on cable.

Geezer,

I have a gift card that Dish Network sends to me periodically. I think it's for the top 100 channels or something and includes Fox Sports Midwest, which will have all the Pacers games which aren't on WB4. I think there are two games this year that aren't covered by either channel (i.e. only on League Pass). The card gives you 3 months programming for like $30 total (including taxes), but you have to commit to the package for a year, and I think it's about $50 per month after that. I can send you one if you're interested.

Love,

Spicoli

:P

Slick Pinkham
02-12-2004, 05:41 PM
I broke down and bought Direct TV a few years ago, eager to not be a slave to the cable company.

The installer came out and said "It ain't gonna work-- too many trees blocking a line of sight to the satellite"

:mad:

so I still have cable...

Someday I might wreak havoc on all those trees with a chainsaw. Problem is, I basically live in the woods and there are dozens of big trees that would have to go.

Booger
02-12-2004, 05:43 PM
I broke down and bought Direct TV a few years ago, eager to not be a slave to the cable company.

The installer came out and said "It ain't gonna work-- too many trees blocking a line of sight to the satellite"

so I still have cable...

Someday I might wreak havoc on all those trees with a chainsaw. Problem is, I basically live in the woods and there are dozens of big trees that would have to go.

Living in the woods >>>>>>>>>>> Satellite TV

Slick Pinkham
02-12-2004, 05:55 PM
Living in the woods >>>>>>>>>>> Satellite TV

true...

It would be ideal if my rinky-dink cable provider offered NBA League Pass.

Hicks
02-12-2004, 06:15 PM

I can't "prove" it, but if you believe me not to lie about it then this should do: My sister and bro-in-law just switched from cable to satellite when they moved to a new house, and it happened to be installed the week that league pass was free. They went with Dish Network. Having never seen League Pass before, I made a point of checking it out, and sure enough it has NBATV.

indygeezer
02-13-2004, 07:49 AM
:mad: OH OH...Mrs G just found out about the x-tra $5/tv per month charge (first tv "free") since we're talking 3-4 tv's total she added it all up and ain't happy. Fly inna ointment. But there are a lot of packages being offered right now so I'm gonna have to do some leg work. <sigh, can't anything be easy?>

Spicoli...let me do some checking and I'll get back to ya on that offer, thanks...uh got any freebies for duck hunting?

Oh...and I made a BIG BIG mistake last night. Told Mrs. G I was thinking of taking Geezer Jr. and going off on a week long camping/fishing trip to Canada this summer. She was less than enthusiastic about me and son going on vacation w/o her and daughter...my ears are still ringing. :cry: