PDA

View Full Version : Timberwolves after Gasol...almost traded Derrick Williams

graphic-er
06-29-2012, 03:02 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-timberwolves-making-run-070332673--nba.html

What in the world is this franchise doing....They were ready to trade Derrick Williams, last years #2 pick for an old beat up Pau Gasol. :rolleyes:

Trophy
06-29-2012, 03:07 PM
:khan:

BRushWithDeath
06-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Pau Gasol is worth more than Derrick Williams. Especially with the make up of their roster. Gasol next to Kevin Love with Ricky Rubio feeding them would be a joy to watch.

CableKC
06-29-2012, 03:10 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-timberwolves-making-run-070332673--nba.html

What in the world is this franchise doing....They were ready to trade Derrick Williams, last years #2 pick for an old beat up Pau Gasol. :rolleyes:
All of the moves that they have been making seem to suggest that they ( like a lot of Teams that have been stuck in Lottery Land for the last couple of seasons ) simply want to start competing instead of continually rebuilding.

I don't blame them and have little problem with them going after Gasol. They want to start winning by adding veteran help to a young Team. This started with Adelman and will likely continue with Kahn making moves like this.

PR07
06-29-2012, 03:11 PM
I'd actually do that if I were Minnesota. Gasol and Love would be a beastly frontcourt, and incredibly adept at passing along with Rubio.

pwee31
06-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Pau Gasol at center is not a good plan

Speed
06-29-2012, 03:13 PM
I'm a fan of Derrick Williams, I think he just needs some time.

BRushWithDeath
06-29-2012, 03:18 PM
I'm a fan of Derrick Williams, I think he just needs some time.

I'm a fan of Derrick Williams too. A big fan. But if you can get Pau Gasol for him, you do it in a nanosecond. Of course, you can't.

Lance George
06-29-2012, 03:40 PM
Philly and Minny need to pull the trigger on a Williams-for-Turner swap of disappointing second picks.

spreedom
06-29-2012, 05:07 PM
I like Derrick Williams too, but he probably isn't a 3 in today's NBA, and certainly won't get full-time starter minutes at the 4 with Kevin Love in town. I think making a move for Gasol makes a ton of sense. Think about that 4/5 rotation... Love, Pau, Pekovic.

Mourning
06-29-2012, 07:19 PM
I'd actually do that if I were Minnesota. Gasol and Love would be a beastly frontcourt, and incredibly adept at passing along with Rubio.

For maybe just a few years, yes, but Gasol is getting old aswell and he might continue to contribute, but not long enough for the Timberwolves to come even remotely close to having a championship contending team. They are getting better, but they have an enormous road still ahead of them, much of which takes time, experience and maturing and with Gasol they won't have that time IMHO.

croz24
06-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Players like Derrick Williams are fairly common in this league, while there's only a handful, if that, of players with Pau Gasol's ability.

Doddage
06-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Pau Gasol at center is not a good plan
It actually is now that he's getting older and slower. Having an elite rebounder like Kevin Love next to him would take pressure off of him too.

A.B.Hollywood
06-29-2012, 07:52 PM
Minnesota is the 6th seed in the East and RISING if they do this trade.

Gasol is very underrated right now. People are doubting him too much after the playoffs where they completely misused him. Dude still has 3-4 GREAT years and with Love and Rubio would make one helluva trio.

I'd be very scared of Minny if they made this happen.

Sandman21
06-29-2012, 08:07 PM
What in the world is this franchise doing....

One word (and I know Trophy beat me to it) : KKKKKAAAAAHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNN!

Steagles
06-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Minnesota is the 6th seed in the East and RISING if they do this trade.

Gasol is very underrated right now. People are doubting him too much after the playoffs where they completely misused him. Dude still has 3-4 GREAT years and with Love and Rubio would make one helluva trio.

I'd be very scared of Minny if they made this happen.

But they are in the West.

PacersHomer
06-29-2012, 08:17 PM
I'm surprised they aren't trying to get a wing like Gay instead.

Steagles
06-29-2012, 08:25 PM
I'm surprised they aren't trying to get a wing like Gay instead.

This. However, there really aren't pieces that the Grizz would like and match salaries IMO.

About the best I could come up with was Gay for Budinger, Ridnour, Ellington and Williams.

Downtown Bang!
06-29-2012, 08:25 PM
The only thing worse than a combo guard is a combo forward. Derrick Williams = combo forward, = tweener, = too slow to guard threes, = too small to score in the post, = Drew Gooden.

T-wolves should absolutely be pursuing this trade and trying throw in Wesly Johnson if that is what it takes to make this happen. Gasol + Love + Rubio + Pekovic + some competant 2-guard would make them relevant. The words T-wolves and relevant have not been used in a meaningful sentance in a long time.