PDA

View Full Version : USA Basketball

Steagles
06-29-2012, 02:46 PM
I apologize if this needs to be moved to the locker room.

I'm curious as to who you think will make the team and what the rotations will be. Currently, the roster is at 16 players, and needs to be cut to 12.

Carmelo Anthony - F
Kobe Bryant - SG
Tyson Chandler - C
Anthony Davis - G/F
Kevin Durant - F
Rudy Gay - F
Eric Gordon - G
Blake Griffin - F
James Harden - G
Andre Iguodala - G/F
LeBron James - F
Kevin Love - F
Lamar Odom - F
Chris Paul - G
Russell Westbrook - G
Deron Williams - G

My projected roster is:
Carmelo Anthony - F
Kobe Bryant - SG
Tyson Chandler - C
Anthony Davis - G/F
Kevin Durant - F
Eric Gordon - G (If he is hurt, James Harden instead)
Blake Griffin - F
LeBron James - F
Kevin Love - F
Chris Paul - G
Russell Westbrook - G
Deron Williams - G

My projected rotation is:
PG- Paul, Williams, Westbrook
SG- James, Bryant, Gordon
SF- Durant, Anthony, Davis
PF- Love, Griffin, James/Anthony, Davis
C- Chandler, Love, James

boombaby1987
06-29-2012, 03:36 PM
They will start Durant at forward so Kobe and Lebron can both start.

Hicks
06-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Chris Paul / Deron Williams
Kobe Bryant / Russell Westbrook
Kevin Durant / Carmelo Anthony
LeBron James / Blake Griffin
Tyson Chandler / Kevin Love

Rudy Gay, James Harden

Coop
06-29-2012, 04:55 PM
I've been looking forward to some USA basketball discussion. I won't speculate on the rotation, but I am curious as to how the competition will be this year. Spain was really the only legitimate threat in 2008, and Rubio is out this year. Anyone else going to give us trouble this go around? Maybe some of our international posters will have an opinion here.

Steagles
06-29-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm sure Nuntius can fill us in on the European teams

shags
06-29-2012, 05:39 PM

Rudy Gay, James Harden

This is exactly who I see making the roster.

However, I think Coach K will only go with 9 guys in the main rotation. I agree with your starters, but I think the 4 players off the bench will be Williams, Westbrook, Melo, and Griffin. In the international game, Melo and LeBron can take all the minutes at the 4. I picked Griffin over Love because the USA's main advantage internationally is the athleticism.

And for the record, LeBron and Kobe are locks to be starters. I think Durant is too, but not as much as LeBron or Kobe.

pacer4ever
06-29-2012, 05:42 PM

Rudy Gay, James Harden

I like this but im guessing Eric will make it over Harden because coach K loves his defense.

Steagles
07-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Link (http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/basketball/story/_/id/8137827/2012-olympic-games-los-angeles-clippers-blake-griffin-lock-make-usa-olympics-team-sources-say)

Los Angeles Clippers forward Blake Griffin has been elevated to a lock to make Team USA's Olympic squad, according to sources close to the process, leaving USA Basketball coaches and officials with essentially five players for two remaining roster spots.

A rash of injuries and pullouts leading up to this week's opening of training camp prompted Team USA chairman Jerry Colangelo to say there are nine automatics for the 12-man roster that will be announced Saturday night live on NBA TV: Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant, Tyson Chandler, Kevin Durant, LeBron James, Kevin Love, Chris Paul, Russell Westbrook and Deron Williams.

One source said Friday that Iguodala and Harden went into camp as the favorites for the last two spots.

Team USA's need for size in the wake of losing Dwight Howard, LaMarcus Aldridge and Chris Bosh to injury, along with Lamar Odom's late pullout, appeared to give Davis real hope of making the final roster, despite the fact the No. 1 overall pick in last month's draft is the only player being considered with no NBA experience.

Yet, it appears the odds are stacked against Davis sneaking in ahead of a veteran when he's not ready to play right away. An ankle injury Davis suffered recently in a workout with his new team in New Orleans has kept college basketball's consensus player of the year off the floor for the past two days and prompted Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski to tell reporters in Las Vegas on Friday the Hornets' prized rookie is "not near 100 percent."

When it comes to Griffin, though, one source told ESPN.com his inclusion is "99 percent" assured despite concerns about how the bruising power forward will cope in the international game with his inconsistent face-up game and Team USA's overall need for shooting.

Griffin said Friday he took two weeks off after the season and is healthy now after dealing with a variety of ailments at the end of the season. This is Griffin's first experience with USA Basketball since he was 17.

"That's my focus right now," Griffin said Friday during Team USA's first media session in Vegas. "Actually having a chance to compete for this is great. It's been really fun."

With Harden, Gay, Iguodala, Davis and Gordon left, I think Harden and Davis make it. Davis shouldn't, but with the lack of size, his perimeter D could be helpful off the end of the bench in the event of one of the big men getting hurt.

Pacer Fan
07-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Legion Sports ‏@MySportsLegion
Blake Griffin, Andre Iguodala and James Harden have earned the final three roster spots on Team USA.

Steagles
07-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Legion Sports ‏@MySportsLegion
Blake Griffin, Andre Iguodala and James Harden have earned the final three roster spots on Team USA.

I was hoping them to be the two, but expected Davis (Coach K wanted players who could play multiple positions) over Iguodala. I hope that's right. We'll see on the selection show.

Pacer Fan
07-07-2012, 06:56 PM
I was hoping them to be the two, but expected Davis (Coach K wanted players who could play multiple positions) over Iguodala. I hope that's right. We'll see on the selection show.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/basketball/story/_/id/8139144/blake-griffin-james-harden-andre-iguodala-us-men-basketball-roster-sources-say

LAS VEGAS -- Blake Griffin, Andre Iguodala and James Harden have been chosen for the U.S. Olympic men's basketball team, sources with knowledge of the situation told ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

The trio earned the final three spots that opened after a rash of injuries knocked out at least four players who would have been on the team. They beat out Eric Gordon, Rudy Gay and No. 1 draft pick Anthony Davis of New Orleans, who couldn't scrimmage this week because of a sprained ankle.

The official roster announcement will come later Saturday.

Steagles
07-07-2012, 07:04 PM
usabasketball.com confirmed, the final 3 go to Griffin, Iguodala, and Harden.

Pacer Fan
07-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Team USA Roster
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James
Kevin Durant
Carmelo Anthony
Deron Williams
Chris Paul
James Harden
Russel Westbrook
Kevin Love
Tyson Chandler
Blake Griffin
Andre Iguodala

BlueNGold
07-07-2012, 07:24 PM
I think we may have some problems against a very strong interior team. Chandler and Love will get dominated against some teams in the paint. Not enough size and quite frankly we don't have the greatest shooters (except for Durant). I would not be shocked if we didn't win gold. Kobe isn't the same player either.

Steagles
07-07-2012, 07:35 PM
I think we may have some problems against a very strong interior team. Chandler and Love will get dominated against some teams in the paint. Not enough size and quite frankly we don't have the greatest shooters (except for Durant). I would not be shocked if we didn't win gold. Kobe isn't the same player either.

We still have Lebron, Carmelo and Durant who can shoot. Lebron can dominate in the paint and our guard play will be fine. I think we will be VERY competitive.

PacersHomer
07-07-2012, 07:37 PM

The thing is that the other teams don't have good big men besides Spain with the Gasols. Scola is probably the best big man outside of Spain & us. LeBron and Durant will probably be too much to handle by themselves, and then Kobe has the ability to take over in any late game situations. I'm not too worried unless one of those 3 goes down.

clownskull
07-07-2012, 07:53 PM
The thing is that the other teams don't have good big men besides Spain with the Gasols. Scola is probably the best big man outside of Spain & us. LeBron and Durant will probably be too much to handle by themselves, and then Kobe has the ability to take over in any late game situations. I'm not too worried unless one of those 3 goes down.

i hope they use lebron a bunch and give him little rest as i want him tired for next season.

ilive4sports
07-07-2012, 08:21 PM
LOL man i'm sorry but thats ridiculous. No other country can match the 12 we are putting up. LeBron/Durant/Melo/Kobe/Deron/Westbrook can all score better than any other player they will face. Melo is even better under FIBA rules too. And yeah Kobe's not the same player, but he still put up 28ppg last season.

Anything less than gold in a convincing fashion would be disappointing.

BlueNGold
07-07-2012, 09:29 PM
LOL man i'm sorry but thats ridiculous. No other country can match the 12 we are putting up. LeBron/Durant/Melo/Kobe/Deron/Westbrook can all score better than any other player they will face. Melo is even better under FIBA rules too. And yeah Kobe's not the same player, but he still put up 28ppg last season.

Anything less than gold in a convincing fashion would be disappointing.

They only beat Spain by 11 in 2008 and that was when they were fully loaded with Dwight and Bosh on the roster in addition to DWade. Wade had the most points, and Bosh the most rebounds in the title game. Sure, they will be favored but this is a weaker team than the Redeem team and this is 2012. Teams continue to improve and there will come a day when our very best players will not be enough.

TinManJoshua
07-07-2012, 10:51 PM
They only beat Spain by 11 in 2008 and that was when they were fully loaded with Dwight and Bosh on the roster in addition to DWade. Wade had the most points, and Bosh the most rebounds in the title game. Sure, they will be favored but this is a weaker team than the Redeem team and this is 2012. Teams continue to improve and there will come a day when our very best players will not be enough.

I expect we aren't far out from a time when our best players decide its not in their best financial interest to participate, much like the FIBA world championships.

Blackhawk4
07-11-2012, 04:42 PM
They've been scrimmaging against the select team for about 15 minutes now. Paul George is wearing #29

ilive4sports
07-11-2012, 06:58 PM
I expect we aren't far out from a time when our best players decide its not in their best financial interest to participate, much like the FIBA world championships.
the olympics provide not only great positive exposure from all the fans in the USA, but also allows them to grow their international brand. Sure they aren't getting paid by team USA, but they are making money off the Olympics.