PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies' O.J. Mayo becomes unrestricted FA

The Future
06-29-2012, 01:18 PM
The Grizzlies have opted not to extend a qualifying offer to O.J. Mayo, making him an unrestricted FA.

Mayo's QO came with a steep $7.4 million price tag, more than he's likely to earn annually on the free market, though plenty of teams will be vying for his services. The Knicks, Celtics and Pacers have all been interested in Mayo at various times -- it's worth noting that he views himself as a PG going forward.

https://twitter.com/CAGrizBlog/status/218748353536724992

Sign him up!

J7F
06-29-2012, 01:21 PM
I would love to have a big PG like him, but we need more distribution qualities from a PG... Not scoring...

Sparhawk
06-29-2012, 01:25 PM
How about no.

Let's either keep DC or trade for a point. Get a backup SF and PF. We have 3 SGs, so we don't need OJ.

Sandman21
06-29-2012, 01:28 PM
:vaderno:

Steagles
Maybe he wants to come here to distribute? Even if he doesn't, let's go get him!

Jeremy
I'd offer him anwhere from 4-8 million a year on as many years as we can give him. He would be a great 6th man.

pacergod2
06-29-2012, 01:29 PM
I would love to see him run the pick and roll with Plumlee.

BringJackBack
06-29-2012, 01:30 PM
OJ sucked in the playoffs.

BrownBearCoffee
06-29-2012, 01:31 PM
He would be an average player. We don't need anymore average players. Mayo is what he is going to be at this point. He has had ample opportunity to prove he is a superstar. We are becoming the Atlanta Hawks. Signing him would make us even more so.

Jeremy
06-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Mayo still has a ton of potential. He is still the same prospect that was compared to the likes of Kobe Bryant. You all act like he is already 35 or something. He is and will be better than that player most of you wanted Jamal Crawford.

PacersHomer
06-29-2012, 01:43 PM
We already got our OJ last night. If we drafted someone like Machado we would have had a chance to sign him.

kent beckley
06-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Ha, he is 10 months older than our 1st round pick, hahaha

Jeremy
06-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Ha, he is 10 months older than our 1st round pick, hahaha

Yes so he is still incredibly young. GET HIM WALSH!!!!

Slick Pinkham
06-29-2012, 01:44 PM
only if he has an AMAZING vertical jump

BrownBearCoffee
06-29-2012, 01:46 PM
only if he has an AMAZING vertical jump

I'd be weary of an amazing vertical jump until I saw him dribble through some cones...

Justin Tyme
06-29-2012, 01:51 PM
I thought the Pacers just drafted their off the bench SG. I see no reason for OJ or Chucker Crawford. Especially at the price tag that comes along with them.

BigAndy
06-29-2012, 01:56 PM
I don't like this because I secretly want Brandon Roy.

Really?
06-29-2012, 01:57 PM
Yes so he is still incredibly young. GET HIM WALSH!!!!

Rather sign Machado for money reasons and us having a more diverse group of guards.

graphic-er
06-29-2012, 01:58 PM
A PG going forward? Really, now why did he have to go say that. I did not view him very favorably as a PG when he was in
Memphis.

Banta
06-29-2012, 02:06 PM
If I had to choose between Mayo and Hill at $7M, I'd take Mayo.

Doddage
06-29-2012, 02:08 PM
The problem with that is that we've established chemistry with Hill on the team, not Mayo.

Steagles
06-29-2012, 02:09 PM
You aren't the only one. I would too. He is a much better 2 with untapped potential. Especially considering that Hill will now want starter's money, he'll be in the $8M range for some teams. I'll take Mayo as a new 6th man at guard and start DC again. He proved he could play well in the playoffs, I thought.

Aw Heck
06-29-2012, 02:11 PM
I would imagine that Mayo would do as well at PG as Jalen Rose did...not great.

I doubt Mayo would come to the Pacers to come off the bench, but if he was willing, you have to seriously consider it. That said, I wouldn't make him a top priority this offseason.

CableKC
06-29-2012, 02:54 PM
What on Earth gave Mayo the idea that he'd be a good Point Guard?

His Agent?

In all the years that I have read and seen OJ....I have never thought for once that he's a good PG much less a distributor.

CableKC
06-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Given that we have Orlando....I'd rather have GH since he ( at least ) has shown that he is capable of running the point.

Lance George
06-29-2012, 04:07 PM
I think, all things considered, George Hill's probably slightly better than Mayo.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=hillge01&y1=2012&p2=mayooj01&y2=2012

Hicks
06-29-2012, 04:13 PM
If Mayo just wants to be someone's PG, then forget it.

DrFife
06-29-2012, 05:13 PM
I've been wondering where our bench scoring is going to come from. Hans? Doubtful. Plumlee? Next! Dannie's back-up? TBD....

Then I read about Mayo wanting to be called a point guard and I think, "Well, Lance is being called a shooting guard now, so what about two scoring combo-guard's providing our bench scoring?"

(My thoughts continue along the lines of needing a SF who can shoot the 3. I'm intrigued by the idea of signing Rashard Lewis after he's bought out. Other ideas?)

xIndyFan
06-29-2012, 05:18 PM

if you want them to play SG, then yeah.

if you want them to play the point, you have to take Hill. Mayo just isn't a PG. He's like the bad jarrett jack.

3rdStrike
06-29-2012, 05:37 PM
I've been wondering where our bench scoring is going to come from. Hans? Doubtful. Plumlee? Next! Dannie's back-up? TBD....

Then I read about Mayo wanting to be called a point guard and I think, "Well, Lance is being called a shooting guard now, so what about two scoring combo-guard's providing our bench scoring?"

(My thoughts continue along the lines of needing a SF who can shoot the 3. I'm intrigued by the idea of signing Rashard Lewis after he's bought out. Other ideas?)

We drafted the guy: Orlando Johnson. He's pretty much guaranteed to be an above average perimeter player. We all know Lance is better at slashing, and if they can convince Plumlee to play near the rim then it's all taken care of and they'll make for a more diversified attack than the starting unit, so long as Amundson doesn't luck into a rebound and toss up a horrible shot.

Banta
06-29-2012, 05:43 PM
if you want them to play SG, then yeah.

if you want them to play the point, you have to take Hill. Mayo just isn't a PG. He's like the bad jarrett jack.

Hill's not a PG either. I don't want either of them playing point. I don't want Hill playing anything, leastways not for the Pacers.

DrFife
06-29-2012, 05:45 PM
We drafted the guy: Orlando Johnson. He's pretty much guaranteed to be an above average perimeter player.

I'm thrilled we got 'lando (saying "OJ" still confuses with "OJ Mayo"; can we start calling him Calrissian? :D). I highly doubt that TPTB are slotting him into the 2nd team, however; not yet, anyway. I also think about his tragic background and think about how much he'll appreciate having a mentor. The more I think about it, the more I'd LOVE for us to sign Brandon Roy.

pacer4ever
06-29-2012, 05:51 PM
I'm thrilled we got 'lando (saying "OJ" still confuses with "OJ Mayo"; can we start calling him Calrissian? :D). I highly doubt that TPTB are slotting him into the 2nd team, however; not yet, anyway. I also think about his tragic background and think about how much he'll appreciate having a mentor. The more I think about it, the more I'd LOVE for us to sign Brandon Roy.

He is a man and a leader on the floor in college a mature adult not sure he needs a mentor.

I disagree OJ will be a rotation player from day one he is NBA ready and should of been a 1st rd pick.

esabyrn333
06-29-2012, 06:49 PM
Orlando Johnson was a second round pick if we are counting on him being an above average scorer for our second unit next year. I would say we are kidding ourselves.

I would take OJ Mayo any day of the week over Orlando Johnson..... and twice on Sundays.....

When you start expecting 2nd rounders to contribute right away you are setting yourself up for disappointment..... Hell lets just let the guy focus on making the team

croz24
06-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Orlando Johnson was a second round pick if we are counting on him being an above average scorer for our second unit next year. I would say we are kidding ourselves.

I would take OJ Mayo any day of the week over Orlando Johnson..... and twice on Sundays.....

When you start expecting 2nd rounders to contribute right away you are setting yourself up for disappointment..... Hell lets just let the guy focus on making the team

Amen. Not sure where some are getting the idea or expectations that our 2nd rounder is going to come in right away and contribute. I hope he can, but it is a rarity that 2nd rounders even make NBA rosters, let alone help a playoff team their rookie season. Let's not forget how much most expected out of James White...

Ace E.Anderson
06-29-2012, 07:10 PM

I agree. I'm still excited about getting Johnson and I think he will be a good player for us, but Mayo has shown he has the talent to score in this league. You can never have too many talented shooters/scorers on the team. Plus, Mayo is still young and has some room to improve. I'm all for getting him.

Ace E.Anderson
06-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Anybody think we'll go after Mayo again?

k_lewis93
06-30-2012, 11:08 AM
i think the pacers will make a run for him but only sign him if it is a good price. i would love to have him for 6 or 7 mil a year.

tadscout
06-30-2012, 11:28 AM
He is a man and a leader on the floor in college a mature adult not sure he needs a mentor.

I disagree OJ will be a rotation player from day one he is NBA ready and should of been a 1st rd pick.

Pacers already said they see Orlando as a rotation player too.

tadscout
06-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Boston wants Mayo badly, and they most likely have the starting SG spot open for him. (Unless Ray Allen stops his flirtation with the Heat)

graphic-er
06-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Boston wants Mayo badly, and they most likely have the starting SG spot open for him. (Unless Ray Allen stops his flirtation with the Heat)

Im pretty sure Allen is done in Boston, I think he secret got a bit miffed over how he was treated this season. Coming off the bench here and there.

Steagles
06-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Im pretty sure Allen is done in Boston, I think he secret got a bit miffed over how he was treated this season. Coming off the bench here and there.

Nearly getting dealt as well.

graphic-er
06-30-2012, 11:57 AM
One thing for sure about Mayo, is that you dont' really know how good he can be. Literally that system in Memphis has screwed him over. He showed alot of flash in his 1st and 2nd years ,then his minute went down by 10 per game the last 2 years. His minutes and his FT % has been the major reason for the dip in production. He shot 87% in this rookie year, 80% 2nd year, and it has just kept falling into to the 70's

I think a change of teams is all this guy needs to refocus.

Honestly if the Pacers get Mayo, I'd be pretty excited. I'd start him over PG. Have Hill and Mayo be my starting wings.

RLeWorm
06-30-2012, 03:18 PM
One thing for sure about Mayo, is that you dont' really know how good he can be. Literally that system in Memphis has screwed him over. He showed alot of flash in his 1st and 2nd years ,then his minute went down by 10 per game the last 2 years. His minutes and his FT % has been the major reason for the dip in production. He shot 87% in this rookie year, 80% 2nd year, and it has just kept falling into to the 70's

Honestly if the Pacers get Mayo, I'd be pretty excited. I'd start him over PG. Have Hill and Mayo be my starting wings.
100% agree! Averaged around 18ppg as a rookie, i know thats the past but it just shows what he could do. And if Hollins tried to make him a 6th man he would still be putting up good numbers. i honestly don't think his pg skills is that bad either. He was one of the best ones on that team last year running PnR.

Roaming Gnome
06-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Amen. Not sure where some are getting the idea or expectations that our 2nd rounder is going to come in right away and contribute. I hope he can, but it is a rarity that 2nd rounders even make NBA rosters, let alone help a playoff team their rookie season. Let's not forget how much most expected out of James White...

Yeah, I can see Orlando taking Lance's position on the bench as "head cheerleader" considering he IS a 2nd round ROOKIE!

daschysta
06-30-2012, 05:56 PM
Hill was better than OJ was this season and in the playoffs, he's a far better defender and played better as a point guard in addition to being more efficient.

I'm lukewarm on resigning him, for what I fear it will take, so i'm certainly against signing OJ to a 8-9 million dollar per year contract that he will probably get.

It isn't good sense to sign a guy to a big contract that has regressed every single year that he has been in the NBA, i'd rather take a flyer developing Orlando Johnson, who I think could be very good for a 36th pick, and Lance Stephenson as well, who we all know has skills to at least be a rotation player and supposedly has once again been spending a great amount of time working on his game in Indianapolis, and who probably deserves to at least get a chance to prove himself capable of playing anywhere close to his career game against Chicago in the season finale.

As for Mayo starting, no way. Paul George is way, way more valuable, and has far more potential, he's on his way up, while Mayo has been declining, doesn't have good size for a two guard and has shot selection problems. How has the "system" screwed him over? Memphis offensively is actually pretty similar to us, if he needs to play hero ball, like during his rookie year, to thrive, then we aren't the place for him to suceed either. In fact we're pretty much the only team in the NBA whose scoring is as evenly distributed as Memphis's. They tried allowing him to be the man off of the bench, and he wasn't very good then either, 12.6 ppg on 40%? Eh. And in playoffs, when his team need him most, he put up games of 4, 4, 6, 5, 6 with a 1-11 game a two 1-6 games and a 1-8 game. Even in the two games where he scored 17 points and 20 points he shot 6-16 and 5-12. He also turn it over a bunch.

He isn't better than Paul George now. And he certainly won't be in the future. He's no better than Jamal Crawford, if Larry were still here we'd probably pursue him, under Walsh and Pritchard, hopefully we look in another direction.

Just my opinion.

I've got a great feeling about OJ. Not that I expect a 2nd rounder to do so, but I wouldn't be suprised if he does. He beasted in college, without relying on athleticism to do so, yet he has rare physical tools, and he isn't imo, the typical small school ballhog wonder, since he raised his play and had some absolutely insane games for college bball against the bigger D1 schools when they played UCSB.

I'm not so sure I remember too many people being overly optimistic about James White, at least not huge expectations for their first year, he was an athlete more than a basketball player. Orlando is much more NBA ready imo, and has great skill, especially shooting the ball, which translates well to the NBA pretty universally, and he has the wingspan and athleticism to get his shot off against NBA defenders unlike alot of other college players whose main skill is shooting, but lack the tools to do what they did in college against bigger stronger defenders who play in the NBA.

I've got a great feeling that he'll be a steal, and I haven't felt that way about any of our other second round picks since i've been a fan.

kent beckley
06-30-2012, 06:29 PM
Funny thought, if Boston is really 'interested' in Mayo, How cool would it be to sign a pretty serious free agent out from under them two years in a row. Ray Allen would really be confused!!!

You don't have to tell me, I know Ray is a Free Agent. It was a joke.

kent beckley
06-30-2012, 06:34 PM
If we sign Mayo, it won't be to replace Hill. It will be to replace Barbosa as the lightning rod off the bench. The question is, do we resign Barbosa (no, unless it is for like 3 mil per year), does Lance or OJ have the ability to fill that role right away, or do we need to go get a Mayo or Roy player in free agency. I am pretty confident that Hill and Collison will be our PG rotation, and am happy with that.

daschysta
06-30-2012, 06:40 PM
If we sign Mayo, it won't be to replace Hill. It will be to replace Barbosa as the lightning rod off the bench. The question is, do we resign Barbosa (no, unless it is for like 3 mil per year), does Lance or OJ have the ability to fill that role right away, or do we need to go get a Mayo or Roy player in free agency. I am pretty confident that Hill and Collison will be our PG rotation, and am happy with that.

Mayo would be fine in that role, but it would cost too much for him to be just that imo.

RLeWorm
06-30-2012, 08:22 PM
Mayo would be fine in that role, but it would cost too much for him to be just that imo.
Hard to believe Mayo would be fine with coming off the bench after what happened in Memphis. Mayo is a starting 2 in this league and he knows that himself. I see him going to Boston to replace Allen. Mayo is not a scrub! Lol his numbers don't look good because he was the 5th option on his team last year.

Eleazar
07-01-2012, 02:21 AM
Mayo still has a ton of potential.

Our backup's backup still has just as much potential as Mayo does, if not more, at both PG and SG. We don't need to be bringing in FA on potential, leave that to draft picks. We need proven FA who we know what we are getting.

daschysta
07-01-2012, 03:06 AM
Hard to believe Mayo would be fine with coming off the bench after what happened in Memphis. Mayo is a starting 2 in this league and he knows that himself. I see him going to Boston to replace Allen. Mayo is not a scrub! Lol his numbers don't look good because he was the 5th option on his team last year.

He was in no way the 5th option, he chucked like crazy. Same ppg as conley on 30% worse from the field in 9 less minutes. He took the 3rd most shots on the team (only 4 behind marc gasol) despite playing only 27 minutes.

Heisenberg
07-01-2012, 03:15 AM
Mayonnaise makes me gag. The idea of adding Mayo at +MLE money is worth. I'd eat a mayonnaise sandwich before I accepted that.

MOVE ON, the guy's not THAT good.

PacersPride
07-04-2012, 04:31 PM
sounds like oj is the best option pacers have to spend the remaining cap space. i read mayo wants to be a pg.

with the east getting better. i dont see the pacers in the hunt for a championship anytime soon. even w a resigned roy hibbert.

xIndyFan
07-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Mayonnaise makes me gag. The idea of adding Mayo at +MLE money is worth. I'd eat a mayonnaise sandwich before I accepted that.

i thought OJ was/is a pretty good player, but evidently that isn't the case. I see lots of teams interested in him, but no one seems to be offering anything above the MLE. That screams 'just another guy' to me. strange.

RLeWorm
07-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Our backup's backup still has just as much potential as Mayo does, if not more, at both PG and SG. We don't need to be bringing in FA on potential, leave that to draft picks. We need proven FA who we know what we are getting.

naaahhh, Mayo would put Lance and Orlando straight to the reserve spot. They are not even close to his level.

PaceBalls
07-04-2012, 05:28 PM
I like OJ. I'd like to get him on the team. He is certainly better than some of you guys are saying.

DGPR
07-04-2012, 05:36 PM

OJ Mayo is better than any guard on our team right now.

Sandman21
07-04-2012, 05:38 PM
I'd wait out OJ if he thinks hes going to get more than MLE money.

ECKrueger
07-04-2012, 05:43 PM
OJ + above MLE + he thinks he's a pg = PASS

Now for around the MLE and using him as a 2 I wouldn't mind.

BringJackBack
07-04-2012, 06:52 PM
I'd rather go with Courtney Lee compared to OJ. Lee would command less, isn't a big personality, is athletic, a good shooter, and asserts himself. Not saying OJ doesn't do some of those things, but Lee is better bang for the buck for me.

But I'd rather take a gamble at Brandon Roy before either. Worth a shot, and if he gets injured it's the perfect time for the combo of Orlando and Lance to step up.

Lance George
07-05-2012, 02:29 AM
I think people are going a little overboard with the whole "Mayo sucks" thing. He's not lived up to expectations, but he's still a good basketball player (career 15/3/3) who's just 24. I think he'd be a good signing at around $6-7M per-season.

Ace E.Anderson
07-05-2012, 02:35 AM
I think people are going a little overboard with the whole "Mayo sucks" thing. He's not lived up to expectations, but he's still a good basketball player (career 15/3/3) who's just 24. I think he'd be a good signing at around $6-7M per-season.

Memphis was somewhat of a bad fit for Mayo following their coaching change. Mayo is the one type of player that we don't have in our backcourt (shot creator/shot making 2guard). I really hope we are able to get him for 7-8 mil

troyc11a
07-05-2012, 02:35 AM

Mayo doesnt suck at all. He is a very good player who will get more than the MLE. His scoring went down cause his minutes did. He was misused in Memphis.

troyc11a
07-05-2012, 02:36 AM
Memphis was somewhat of a bad fit for Mayo following their coaching change. Mayo is the one type of player that we don't have in our backcourt (shot creator/shot making 2guard). I really hope we are able to get him for 7-8 mil

Before the coaching change he was on par with Eric Gordon. I dont understand what happened to him the last 2 years in Memphis.

Steagles
07-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Hopefully OJ realizes the Pacers want him (how many times was he "traded" to us?) and signs here.

Mac_Daddy
07-05-2012, 10:34 AM
I think its pretty normal for everyone to start hating on a guy their team is looking to sign/re-sign just because they want to convince themselves that it will help get a more reasonable salary.

PacerPride33
07-05-2012, 01:14 PM
ideal 6th man

Larry Staverman
07-05-2012, 02:33 PM
I think Mayo is going to wait until NO matches Gordon and then Phoenix will go after Mayo and probably price us out!

ESutt7
07-05-2012, 02:35 PM
I think Mayo is going to wait until NO matches Gordon and then Phoenix will go after Mayo and probably price us out!

That may be a good call. He'd start there. Yikes. Mayo and Beasley on the same team....

Ace E.Anderson
07-05-2012, 02:41 PM

Very likely right there.