PDA

View Full Version : Plumlee press conference

graphic-er
06-29-2012, 12:58 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/miles-plumlee-introductory-press-conference

Stream is up.

croz24
06-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Lmao Walsh. Reggie and Person were 20+ppg scorers in college and All-Americans.

Sandman21
06-29-2012, 01:06 PM
He's got a point though, we tend to boo our draft picks a LOT (except for Damon Bailey). Hell, I remember sitting on Facebook rejoicing and begging Larry not to trade Paul George two drafts ago, everyone else on Facebook was flipping their lids and calling for Larry's head.

billbradley
06-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Lmao Walsh. Reggie and Person were 20+ppg scorers in college and All-Americans.

And both lottery picks...

J7F
06-29-2012, 01:11 PM
He's got a point though, we tend to boo our draft picks a LOT (except for Damon Bailey). Hell, I remember sitting on Facebook rejoicing and begging Larry not to trade Paul George two drafts ago, everyone else on Facebook was flipping their lids and calling for Larry's head.

Dare I say our fan base is almost as bad as the Knicks fans in this regard? I'm glad they don't hold the draft in Indy... Or we would look like the a-holes...

BigAndy
06-29-2012, 01:12 PM
lol at Pritchard saying that Plumlee is about being tough and blocking shots.

Sandman21
06-29-2012, 01:13 PM
Dare I say our fan base is almost as bad as the Knicks fans in this regard? I'm glad they don't hold the draft in Indy... Or we would look like the a-holes...

They did one year. Ironically, it was the year we drafted Bailey.

31andonly
06-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Oh ******, he's got David Harrison's number.

5_7_Clash
06-29-2012, 01:16 PM
He's No. 13!! Hahaha...

graphic-er
06-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Kind of a negative presser, very defensive. I think KP and Donnie spend alot of time just trying to justify themselves.

Steagles
06-29-2012, 01:21 PM
No no no no no no no no NOT 13

HC
06-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Kind of a negative presser, very defensive. I think KP and Donnie spend alot of time just trying to justify Larry.

fixed

graphic-er
06-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Seemed like half the media wasn't even there, I didn't here any questions from local news stations.

Sandman21
06-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Kind of a negative presser, very defensive. I think KP and Donnie spend alot of time just trying to justify themselves.

Have you seen how crude some of the questions being submitted on Twitter for the video interview they are about to do with Plumlee? I don't blame Pritch and Donnie for being defensive! I'm absolutely disgusted with what much of the fanbase has submitted.

Unclebuck
06-29-2012, 01:25 PM
I cannot remember the last pick that people were happy with. I know that ius a blanket statement, but even Paul george a lot of people had never heard of him. Probably the last pick everyone was happy with was granger

Jrod Jones
06-29-2012, 01:25 PM
After a night of sleep I really have come to terms with the fact that the frontoffice wanted a backup C, and decided that Plumlee was the best option for the position. I am not so upset with the pick (I think his size and athleticism gives him a good chance to stick around on the bench for multiple years) as I am with the fact that he could absolutely have been drafted 10-15 picks later.

The thing that bugs (I guess bugged now) me with Bird's draft strategy is that he refuses to look at how the league views players and use it to his advantage. If he saw Plumlee as the answer to our backup 5 slot, thats great. BUT he should have the wherewithal to know that there are big names dropping to his pick and he could get back some sort of value while still getting the guy he wants. With PJIII, Moultrie, Teague, etc. all available at our pick it just makes sense to scan the market and see who is interested in moving up. Maybe the Warriors want to move up 4-5 picks to secure either PJIII or Moultrie if they planned on taking a bigman and Ezeli was just the best big left. Maybe the Bobcats were hoping that Teague fell 3 more picks, but would have been interested in leapfrogging the bulls for a shot at a starting PG. The Cavs drafted Bernard James, a center, with the 33rd pick. You don't think Ezeli, PJIII and Moultrie would have interested them?

Even if we only get a future 2nd in return, making a move down 2, 3, even 10 spots shows a certain amount of savvy-ness from that I just don't see.

Its only the 26th pick so its not a crucial mistake, its just something that I think Bird has never seriously included in his draft plan, and I think it was one of his biggest weaknesses.

HC
06-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Have you seen how crude some of the questions being submitted on Twitter for the video interview they are about to do with Plumlee? I don't blame Pritch and Donnie for being defensive! I'm absolutely disgusted with what much of the fanbase has submitted.

Not overly thrilled with the pick at this point, but I have to agree.

PacersHomer
06-29-2012, 01:28 PM
I cannot remember the last pick that people were happy with. I know that ius a blanket statement, but even Paul george a lot of people had never heard of him. Probably the last pick everyone was happy with was granger

I think most people liked trading for George Hill, the local player.

Slick Pinkham
06-29-2012, 01:38 PM
90% would have been happy if we traded up for Zeller or drafted any one of a dozen players with demonstrated basketball ability, rather than a guy who I guess is considered consistent since he scored 4 points against Belmont to open his final college season and 4 points against Lehigh in his career finale.

We got the reaction we would have gotten if we had drafted Tom Prichard, because we drafted a 3" taller version of Tom Pritchard who happened to have aced a jumping drill. Or if you prefer, a homeless man's Solomon Jones, at least based on actual collegiate production

Steagles
06-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Anyone else having trouble loading the Ask Miles video stream?

Sandman21
06-29-2012, 01:42 PM
Anyone else having trouble loading the Ask Miles video stream?

Try again, they literally just started about 10 seconds ago.

LA_Confidential
06-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Question? If Plumlee turns out to be a Jeff Foster clone, (Hustle, Toughness, Rebounding, Defense, Leadership, Longevity) will we Pacers fans be satisfied?

Steagles
06-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Try again, they literally just started about 10 seconds ago.

I got it, thanks. I thought the player plugin for firefox had crashed when the player didn't load. Turns out they just hadn't started yet.

Slick Pinkham
06-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Question? If Plumlee turns out to be a Jeff Foster clone, (Hustle, Toughness, Rebounding, Defense, Leadership, Longevity) will we Pacers fans be satisfied?

I'd be thrilled. I cheered for Solmon Jones to succeed too.

Jeff showed Hustle, Toughness, Rebounding, Defense, Leadership, Longevity in college. Would he have been outmuscled and shut down by undersized centers from Belmont, Lehigh, and UNC-Greensboro?

pacer4ever
06-29-2012, 01:55 PM
I'd be thrilled. I cheered for Solmon Jones to succeed too.

Jeff showed Hustle, Toughness, Rebounding, Defense, Leadership, Longevity in college. Would he have been outmuscled and shut down by undersized centers from Belmont, Lehigh, and UNC-Greensboro?

you are forgetting Butler Matt Howard ate him up. If he had the motor of Matt Howard I would love this pick I just didnt see it.

the Lehigh game was LOL his PnR defense was atrocious that game he made CJ McCollum look like Drose on the drive. (CJ is good mind you a 1st rd pick next year IMO but playing Duke he shouldn't look that good)

Rogco
06-29-2012, 01:55 PM

Maybe, but this pick is hard to swallow. The guy was basically a draft afterthought. If we really wanted to go big, why not select Festus Ezeli, at least he showed he could play better D and block some shots and score (and he doesn't have T-rex arms) Plumlee might very well be serviceable, which won't do the Pacers a lick of good in trying to win against the Heat. We need to take some chances on talent, which Chumlee will never have. Honestly, I think we picked him cause he's from Indiana.

pacer4ever
06-29-2012, 01:59 PM

I loved the George pick because I had seen him play before the draft quite a bit. I hate this pick because I have seen Plumlee play before hand a ton.

I'll root for him but I just dont agree with the pick at all draft a end of the 2nd rd talent or undrafted free agent in the first rd is hard for me to swallow.

Rogco
06-29-2012, 02:02 PM
The other thing that bothers me is he gets a gauranteed contract.

cgg
06-29-2012, 02:08 PM
The other thing that bothers me is he gets a gauranteed contract.

It's only $900k.

Strummer
06-29-2012, 02:13 PM
We always go through this. The "fans" on PD hated the Hibbert pick too. Whined that he was too slow to play in the NBA. Now they all want to give him a max contract.

Speaking of crude comments, did anyone see what Wells called Plumlee in his blog?

Fans donít care for Plumless too much.

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/2012/06/29/pacers-give-your-grade-on-the-draft/

PR07
06-29-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm not sure you can blame the fans on this one. A 23 old who average 7 ppg and 7 rpg is a first round pick? Great workouts or not, I never saw great production on the actual basketball court.

Here's hoping Plumlee proves everyone wrong, but that's a big if.

BRushWithDeath
06-29-2012, 02:23 PM
I'm not sure you can blame the fans on this one. A 23 old who average 7 ppg and 7 rpg is a first round pick? Great workouts or not, I never saw great production on the actual basketball court.

Here's hoping Plumlee proves everyone wrong, but that's a big if.

24 before the season stars.

Really?
06-29-2012, 02:23 PM

Yeah I think so, but being happy about the pick will be determined on how PJII, Teague, Moultrie, and Q.Miller turnout.

Lance George
06-29-2012, 02:35 PM
A 23 old who average 7 ppg and 7 rpg is a first round pick?

7 rebounds in 20 minutes. That's actually quite excellent, bordering on elite. Let's not forget the 61% from the field, either. He's not a prolific scorer, no, but he's efficient.

We don't need an All-Star center; we already have one of those, and hoping to get another at pick #26 is wishful thinking.

What we needed was size, athleticism, rebounding, and defense off the bench, and Plumlee should provide all four.

Really?
06-29-2012, 02:45 PM
I wonder how many people have actually seen him play...

Unclebuck
06-29-2012, 02:48 PM
I think we should all call him Plum-Lee instead of Plumlee

troyc11a
06-29-2012, 03:06 PM

They have seen the highlights. Thats all that matters today. If a player has a good highlight reel with annoying rap music then they are HOF material. A guy who who will do the dirty work like rebound and set picks is not needed or wanted.

PR07
06-29-2012, 03:09 PM
24 before the season stars.

Even better.

BRushWithDeath
06-29-2012, 03:15 PM

I would think everybody. He's played for 4 years at a school that annually has more nationally televised games than every NBA team. This isn't like Paul George who nobody had seen.

The only reason we don't like the pick is precisely because we have seen him play. A lot. If he was 18 years old and his name was Milos Plumecic coming over from Croatia with that size and those athletic numbers, nobody would be upset. But since he's nearly 24 and we've actually seen him play, we know what he is. And that's not worth a first round draft pick.

cdash
06-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Sleeping on it did not help me at all. I remain just as pissed off as I was last night. **** you, front office. Yes, I'm petty.

TheDon
06-29-2012, 04:05 PM
What's retarded is the Pacers keeping adding depth instead of looking for people who could challenge our starters at their positions you keep adding talent and if one of those players does end up pushing your starter out of their starting role then you've added depth but at least in this regard you're not looking to just have better backups.

BillS
06-29-2012, 04:22 PM
What's retarded is the Pacers keeping adding depth instead of looking for people who could challenge our starters at their positions you keep adding talent and if one of those players does end up pushing your starter out of their starting role then you've added depth but at least in this regard you're not looking to just have better backups.

You REALLY expect to add a starter at #26?

TheDon
06-29-2012, 04:37 PM

No but wouldn't it be better to try and draft with that in mind instead of trying to draft a better backup? by default if the guy you pick sucks harder than the starter than they just become a bench player anyways but if by some miraculous turn of events they edge out your starter then it's a homerun pick. I'm with P4E on this one you don't draft by need you draft BPA at that pick, ya know like they said they were going to? There isn't a soul on this earth that isn't looking through blue and gold colored glasses that thinks we drafted the BPA

DrFife
06-29-2012, 04:43 PM
I'll cheer for him to succeed -- if he outperforms Ezeli and the other centers taken after him next season, then Larry will be vindicated -- but I give props to Vnzla for dubbing him, "Plumett." :laugh:

Steagles
06-29-2012, 04:45 PM

No, but at that low of a pick, a high risk high reward player isn't very high risk. Perry Jones was a lottery talent, and could have learned from West a bit. Teague would have been a steal. One year more in college, he was almost certainly a lottery talent. He would have been a project, but a better one than Plumlee nonetheless.

Justin Tyme
06-29-2012, 05:58 PM

Sure. You should always expect to draft a future starter. Now, whether they make it is something else. Why draft a player saying he'll be nothing more than a benchwarmer at best? Granted the chances of it happening isn't very high at #26, but the goal is to draft a future starter. Hill was drafted at #26. Wasn't he the starting PG the last of the season and in the playoffs? Isn't the starting PG job his to lose?

Since I'm not overly impressed with the Plumlee pick, I'd say his opportunity of becoming a starter is very slim. Yet, I can see players drafted after him becoming starters. Unfortunately, Bird didn't draft Plumlee with the idea of getting a future starter, but for a future positional backup.

PR07
06-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Sure. You should always expect to draft a future starter. Now, whether they make it is something else. Why draft a player saying he'll be nothing more than a benchwarmer at best? Granted the chances of it happening isn't very high at #26, but the goal is to draft a future starter. Hill was drafted at #26. Wasn't he the starting PG the last of the season and in the playoffs? Isn't the starting PG job his to lose?

Since I'm not overly impressed with the Plumlee pick, I'd say his opportunity of becoming a starter is very slim. Yet, I can see players drafted after him becoming starters. Unfortunately, Bird didn't draft Plumlee with the idea of getting a future starter, but for a future positional backup.

Yeah, I think anyone in the first round should be drafted with the hopes and intentions that one day they could become a starter. Does anyone reasonably see that for Plumlee? Unless, he completely shocks everyone, I don't see it. At least not on a very good basketball team...

Peck
06-29-2012, 06:15 PM

I was standing next to you at the draft party when Roy Hibbert was drafted, there was a very loud cheer that went up because people already knew we were trading for that pick.

Paul George was not booed at his draft.

I think that the front office like to take on the entire Reggie Miller was boo'ed mentality and use that to try and shove it in people's faces that they are smarter than us and that any fan criticism of their draft picks is nothing more than bumbling hillbilly rubes.

I'm not saying that some fans don't over react but to say the entire fan base does one thing or the other is just blatantly wrong and both the media & the front office tend to do this.

Swingman
06-29-2012, 06:39 PM
The only reason Miller was booed was because the locals wanted the Pacers to pick the IU star. Nothing more, nothing less. It had little to do with Miller.

I remember most of this board being ecstatic about the Paul George selection so not sure how you figure people were upset on that one.

This pick is probably the most universally hated pick that I've seen since being on a Pacers forums.

focused444
06-29-2012, 06:53 PM
What an awkward press conference. That is my first time seeing Pritchard speak for more than a few moments, and he has a weird vibe. (I may just be crazy)

Ace E.Anderson
06-29-2012, 07:03 PM
I was standing next to you at the draft party when Roy Hibbert was drafted, there was a very loud cheer that went up because people already knew we were trading for that pick.

Paul George was not booed at his draft.

I think that the front office like to take on the entire Reggie Miller was boo'ed mentality and use that to try and shove it in people's faces that they are smarter than us and that any fan criticism of their draft picks is nothing more than bumbling hillbilly rubes.

I'm not saying that some fans don't over react but to say the entire fan base does one thing or the other is just blatantly wrong and both the media & the front office tend to do this.

The only draft choices I remember garnering THIS much backlash was Tyler. And it was no where near as bad as this. Aside from that :

Most were happy with the G.Hill acquisition
Most were happy with PG
Roy was met with 50/50 excitement and disappointment but most were happy with BRush(with some preferring we kept Bayless)

Rogco
06-29-2012, 07:19 PM
I think we should all call him Plum-Lee instead of Plumlee

How about Chun-Li, cause he kick's ***?

Steagles
06-29-2012, 08:18 PM
I remember being happy with the Tyler pick. I have no idea why.

Dr. Awesome
06-29-2012, 08:59 PM

Would I be satisfied? Yes. Hell, he would probably become one of my favorite players(and I ****ing hate Dukies).

That being said, he was not that player in college, even against teams like Lehigh who didn't have a player over 6'8. What makes you think he will become that in the NBA? Jeff Foster would have had 15+ rebounds against Lehigh, which is probably cutting Jeff short.

BUT, lets all jump on this magical rainbow train and pretend that he is capable of becoming that - a lot of my opinion will still factor in how the players(who were obviously more talented) fair out. I'm sure some of them wouldn't be as good as Jeff Foster, but if any of them fulfill their potential, it would be hard to overlook that, even for a Jeff Foster clone which only actually exists in magical lollipop land.

Sparhawk
06-29-2012, 09:21 PM
If Plumlee turns out to be somewhat like Foster, I'll actually be impressed. But I won't be completely happy unless Jeff Taylor, Moultrie, Quincy Miller and PJIII turn out to be nothing.

Nuntius
06-29-2012, 10:22 PM
No, but at that low of a pick, a high risk high reward player isn't very high risk. Perry Jones was a lottery talent, and could have learned from West a bit. Teague would have been a steal. One year more in college, he was almost certainly a lottery talent. He would have been a project, but a better one than Plumlee nonetheless.

That's true. But could either of the two backup Hibbert?

Hypnotiq
06-29-2012, 10:30 PM
PJ3 can play SF/PF

i dont see what the problem was with Lou as backup center sure he is a but undersized but i thought he did the job

Steagles
06-29-2012, 10:30 PM

No but my secret draft wish was still there, Festus Ezeli. I would have taken him over Plumlee any day.

PacersHomer
06-29-2012, 10:57 PM

No but that's drafting based off need which isn't advisable at 26 where you should hop on any great talent available. Perry Jones was there. I hope people bump these threads so they can say, "Look how Miles Plumlee is our 3rd big man and everyone likes him and Perry Jones has done nothing!" but I doubt that is going to happen.

pacers74
06-29-2012, 11:35 PM
It sounds like PJ3 wasn't even in there plan at all. They seem like they were more worried about the fantam team moving up to try and get Miles before our pick. I am not going to let this efect my fandom. If he pans out and plays 15 minutes a game and is a decent backup to Roy I will be happy. If not, oh well he was a late first round pick most don't pan out.

Nuntius
06-30-2012, 12:15 AM
i dont see what the problem was with Lou as backup center sure he is a but undersized but i thought he did the job

Against Miami Lou couldn't stop them from getting to the rim. I love Lou and I'm sure that he tried but in the end the job was not done. It was evident that we needed more size to stop the endless lay ups.

That kid gives us size. I'm willing to accept anyone that can fix that need of ours.

Nuntius
06-30-2012, 12:21 AM
No but my secret draft wish was still there, Festus Ezeli. I would have taken him over Plumlee any day.

I have not seen either Plumlee or Ezeli play. I've read several stuff about them but I cannot judge a player before I watch him play.

From what I've read, they are both raw on the offensive side but they have upside as defenders and rebounders. Plumlee is more athletic based on the workouts.

So, why would you want Ezeli? I'm guessing that you have better knowledge since you have apparently watched both of them play.

I wouldn't say no to Ezeli either. We'll see who turnouts to be better. I just wanted someone to be our defensive big off the bench since Frank does not seem to trust Fes :(

Nuntius
06-30-2012, 12:24 AM
No but that's drafting based off need which isn't advisable at 26 where you should hop on any great talent available. Perry Jones was there.

I'll say it once again. BPA is subjective.

A more talented player is not necessarily the best one. Fit does matter.

pogi
06-30-2012, 08:54 AM
Against Miami Lou couldn't stop them from getting to the rim. I love Lou and I'm sure that he tried but in the end the job was not done. It was evident that we needed more size to stop the endless lay ups.

That kid gives us size. I'm willing to accept anyone that can fix that need of ours.

I've seen Plumlee play, and I'm not too sure he'll help us on defense against teams like Miami any better than Hans or Lou.

BlueNGold
06-30-2012, 09:13 AM
I didn't like the pick, but I see a few positives.

First, he is bigger than Tyler and Lou. We needed a bit more size in the middle with Hibbert out. Second, he hits the boards pretty well. Over 7 boards in 20 minutes at Duke. In comparison, Tyler grabbed about 8 in 30 minutes at NC. Third, Miles doubled Tyler's blocks as a senior. Fourth, Miles has always scored pretty efficiently when he does it...and will probably be able to go up in traffic and dunk, unlike Hans. Miles is simply a different player and plays bigger than Tyler...something the Pacers really need in the paint. Strength is often a problem for bigs in the NBA, and I doubt that will be a problem for him. Miles is also a late bloomer and his college career as a whole may not be a great indicator. Finally, he played in a great program with players who overshadowed him. We may find that he's better than expected.

Anyway, that's my cup-half-full view of Plumlee. I think he's probably an upgrade over Pendergraph at minimum.

PacersAllDay
06-30-2012, 09:20 AM
"We think he can be a lot like Jeff Foster."

:notamused:

Nuntius
06-30-2012, 09:56 AM
I've seen Plumlee play, and I'm not too sure he'll help us on defense against teams like Miami any better than Hans or Lou.

If he fails to do those things then he'll be a bad pick. But let's give him a chance first.