PDA

View Full Version : Sunday is FREE AGENCY

beezer615
06-29-2012, 12:20 AM
Who you got as targets the Pacers should go after? Position and Player.

Hypnotiq
06-29-2012, 12:23 AM
Point Guard

Goran Dragic

PacersHomer
06-29-2012, 12:25 AM
Jose Calderon if he get amnestied.

PacerPenguins
06-29-2012, 12:25 AM
i hope we don't trade DC, resign Hill, Trade Hans, Resign Hibbert, Sign Bass

Hill/DC/Orlando Johnson
PG/Hill/Orlando Johnson
Danny Granger/Paul George/Dahntay Jones
West/Bass
Hibbert/Plumlee

rm1369
06-29-2012, 12:29 AM
Who you got as targets the Pacers should go after? Position and Player.

Hibbert & Hill, then fill out the rest of the roster with more mediocre players. Team will make the playoffs - why would you mess that up by trying to bring in "talented" (aka "risky") players?

daschysta
06-29-2012, 12:48 AM
Hibbert & Hill, then fill out the rest of the roster with more mediocre players. Team will make the playoffs - why would you mess that up by trying to bring in "talented" (aka "risky") players?

Sarcasm detected, however we didn't simply make the playoffs last year, we had the 5th best record in the NBA, and beat the heat more times than the Western Conference champions last season. Hibbert also has upside still, as does Paul George, a significant amount in fact. Resigning our players and adding to our core is a more wise course of action. We DON'T have the cap to offer a max deal, and teams that still have upside and finished wtih as impressive a record don't blow the team up on risky flyers, it isn't good sense.

We are front runners to have the second best record in the East next season, meaning we wouldn't have to play Miami until the Conference finals, Wade appears to be entering a slow decline, and while Lebron is obviously a transcendent player he still needed Wade going batshit crazy the final few games to put us away. If Wade isn't Wade and we develop strategies to feed the post more effectively it isn't out of the question that we may possibly be able to upset Miami, and we actually match up really well against the Thunder, Lakers and most other top West teams.

We do have talented players, you don't do what we did last season without them, and many of our most talented players are still very young as well, it would be bad sense to blow it up to blow it up.

However, those hoping for a huge trade may think to look at our relative inaction on draft night as perhaps indicating a pending deal worked out with some other team involving a player or players that we would have otherwise used to maneuver up the draft.

Hill i'm neutral on bringing back, honestly i'm for letting he and barbosa walking and aggressively pursuing a point guard like Dragic or Lowry and resigning Hibbert to whatever is neccesary.

With correct development from our younger guys a team of

Dragic or Lowry/ Collison or backup if DC is moved
George/ Stephenson or Johnson
Granger/ Jones
West/ Hansbrough
Hibbert/ Plumlee/ Amundson

Is certainly not filled wtih "mediocre" or "untalented" players. It could give Miami a hell of a fight and prove itself a legit contender (We underrate ourselves alot, we were honestly contenders this season, even if not top contenders, we did just as well or better than than OKC against Miami, and i'm quite sure most people don't question OKC's status as a contending team.

imbtyler
06-29-2012, 02:45 AM
Point guards: Nash, Williams, maybe even Dragic (JUST MAKE IT HAPPEN). Baron Davis can pass. Even that's still beneficial.
Backup 3/4: Earl Clark? Pretty slim pickin's in this range, and I think he'll request more money. I would even take Lou here, not playing backup 5.

Also, Dwight Howard.

Pingu
06-29-2012, 03:26 AM
I'm not sure I fully understand the infatuation with Dragic. I mean, I have nothing against the guy: I think he's a pretty good player.

But it's not clear to me that he'd be much of an upgrade over DC (not to mention Hill). So if we're not going to do any better than Dragic at PG in free agency, then I'd rather see the Pacers spend elsewhere (we could use some wing scoring given the inconsistency of Danny and Paul).

TheDon
06-29-2012, 03:28 AM
Pacers better swing for the fences in FA after this shitpile of a draft. If we literally go out and just meander around, don't be agressive and just continue to play it safe, then nobody will ever be able to have the excuse again that we've never been in the position to spend.

Steagles
06-29-2012, 04:42 AM
I want Bass.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk

yoadknux
06-29-2012, 05:20 AM
Sign Steve Nash. If he signs, resign Hibbert and Hill, get the best role players we can and try to contend.

If we can't sign him, S&T Hibbert somewhere. I love Hibbert, but we can't give him $14m a year. Collison+Hibbert for Rondo has been my dream for a while now, but I don't think he's available. Collison+Hibbert for LMA or Horford could be good, as both can play 4/5 and are pretty young.
Then try to sign a point guard. Maybe Augustin or Dragic, and possibly resign Hill.

daschysta
06-29-2012, 05:32 AM
Sign Steve Nash. If he signs, resign Hibbert and Hill, get the best role players we can and try to contend.

If we can't sign him, S&T Hibbert somewhere. I love Hibbert, but we can't give him $14m a year. Collison+Hibbert for Rondo has been my dream for a while now, but I don't think he's available. Collison+Hibbert for LMA or Horford could be good, as both can play 4/5 and are pretty young.
Then try to sign a point guard. Maybe Augustin or Dragic, and possibly resign Hill.

Pacers will resign Hibbert no matter what the cost, that's the one thing that has been intimated in absolute terms, Donnie Walsh being back just cements it, and we should too. All bigs are slightly overpaid, Hibbert deserves 11-12 million a bit more than that isn't worth losing him over, not by a long shot. Horford is older than Hibbert gets paid more than Hibbert would, even if we give him the most he can get, plays a less essential position and really isn't any better by any real margin, plus between Horford and West our Frontcourt would be tiny.

ballism
06-29-2012, 07:25 AM
I think after this draft only two spots make sense:

1. A scoring backup big who can defend the pick and roll, ideally a smaller quicker PF, ideally with good range but can finish around the basket in PnR and in transition. That would be a very good fit next to Miles Plumlee.

Jeff Green would be my top target here, because he's all of the above, and because he's likely to be very under priced.
If the price is up to 5 mil/year, IMO he's perfect for us.

2. Offense creator with great decision making.

I'd go hard after Nash.
I doubt we will though. I think we will likely pass on Nash, and channel our energy towards a smaller target, like Dragic, and settle with Brandon Roy.

I'd be more than fine with Dragic if he was cheap. But I think Dragic will get overpaid this year. I do like him, I think he's the type of point guard we need, and he's an upgrade over DC maybe not so much in terms of talent, but very much in terms of fit. But I don't think he is (or will be anytime soon) worth 8-10 mil a year, and I think that will be his price.

So I'd rather just focus on Nash, and if we can't get him, look at trades.

If we got Nash and a quality backup 4 (we'd need to clear some space, e.g. get rid of Dahntay or Tyler), I believe that makes us a contender for 2-3 years. After that we would have to retool a little as Nash and D-West would likely be gone, and Danny well past 30.

Willbo
06-29-2012, 07:30 AM
What can we reasonably deduce from the draft?

It would seem that OJ is the logical replacement for Barbosa, ready to play offense/bomber with range type.

Clearly the commitment has been made to Plumlee to be the backup C.

Whether you agree with the FO or not it would appear this is the direction we are heading. What is unclear to me is what comes next. Management has declared its interest in bringing back both Hill & Hibbert.

With Collison still on the roster there is simply not a glaring hole to spend the $10 odd mill we have lying around. That is not to say there are not positions to upgrade, clearly a distributor at the point would be beneficial.

Given the premise of this thread was 'who you got' FA-wise this question might be mis-placed but.... What do you suspect the grand plan here is? Not 'what would you like to have happen?' but rather 'what do you suspect the FO thinks of our roster and how to use the available cap space?'.

Interestingly the draft, I think, has made this question less clear -- the roster clearly requires some further work to progress from 'good team' to 'contender', yet, in a sense, the glaring holes have been addressed. Perhaps not to everybody's liking but I suspect the FO has addressed the back C and microwave SG of the bench in their minds.

So what next?

Willbo
06-29-2012, 07:33 AM
I think after this draft only two spots make sense:

1. A scoring backup big who can defend the pick and roll, ideally a smaller quicker PF, ideally with good range but can finish around the basket in PnR and in transition. That would be a very good fit next to Miles Plumlee.

Jeff Green would be my top target here, because he's all of the above, and because he's likely to be very under priced.
If the price is up to 5 mil/year, IMO he's perfect for us.

2. Offense creator with great decision making.

I'd go hard after Nash.
I doubt we will though. I think we will likely pass on Nash, and channel our energy towards a smaller target, like Dragic, and settle with Brandon Roy.

I'd be more than fine with Dragic if he was cheap. But I think Dragic will get overpaid this year. I do like him, I think he's the type of point guard we need, and he's an upgrade over DC maybe not so much in terms of talent, but very much in terms of fit. But I don't think he is (or will be anytime soon) worth 8-10 mil a year, and I think that will be his price.

So I'd rather just focus on Nash, and if we can't get him, look at trades.

If we got Nash and a quality backup 4 (we'd need to clear some space, e.g. get rid of Dahntay or Tyler), I believe that makes us a contender for 2-3 years. After that we would have to retool a little as Nash and D-West would likely be gone, and Danny well past 30.

This is a pretty well reasoned answer to the question I posed in the next post.

Like the logic and the precognitive ability.

Jeremy
06-29-2012, 07:45 AM
First target? Nash. If he chooses not to sign with us, we should then go after Dragic and Lowry. My 4th target is Brandon Roy, if he looks good in workouts.

Hypnotiq
06-29-2012, 07:56 AM
Nash is already gone imo

Toronto beckons

Mourning
06-29-2012, 08:03 AM
Lowry and Dragic would be my first two targets. Lowry in a trade or Dragic as a FA. Maybe we can strike a deal with the Rockets that we won't drive up Dragic price by making a trade for Lowry with for example DC and a future first rounder going their way.

I'm also not convinced at all that we should be paying Hill 7mln a year, so IF we were to pull of this move the need to sign Hill to such a contrct significantlhy decreases. It would SUCK though that we would have essentially given away Leonard for a one year rental though, but I'm opposed to keeping Hill just because otherwise our FO would look shortsighted in making that deal in retrospect. Or focused on the short term for lack of a better word.

BringJackBack
06-29-2012, 08:06 AM
I think we're going to go after a scoring four and a point guard in the offseason. As well as Brandon Roy as a sixth man, since we already have interest in gambling with him. We have Tyler Hansbrough and Darren Collison as trade chips. But in free agency, there are candidates for every position and we can mix and match here.

Power forward: Carl Landry, Jeff Green, Brandon Bass, Michael Beasley. Cheaper guys could be JJ Hickson, Elton Brand, and Antawn Jamison.

Point guard: Steve Nash. Cheaper options, Andre Miller, Jason Kidd, Chauncey Billups, Kirk Hinrich. I really think that we will try to trade for Kyle Lowry though if we can't get Nash.

Point Guard/Hill
George/Roy/Lance
Granger/Roy/Johnson
West/Power Forward
Hibbert/Plumlee

Our success this season is indicative of four things:

1. The continued growth of Paul George, and whether or not he is going to be a very good two way player, or an All-Star. And the continued growth of Roy Hibbert, and seeing if he can cross the line into elite big man territory.

2. The FIT of our free agents that we acquire, and not necessarily the quality. Such as I think Elton Brand would be a much better fit than Michael Beasley, though cheaper.

3. What Brandon Roy can do if we get him. If he can come in and be 75% of what he was, then great. We have a great talent and an x factor sixth man. If he's going to be injured, ah well, but that will hinder us and hopefully Lance can step up to the challenge...

4. What Johnson, Stephenson, and Plumlee can do for us, if anything yet. If they can come in and be big contributors this season like Bird thinks/thought they can, then we are well off in that department.

This is the route I hope we go... And yes I do realize we don't have the money to go out and get three expensive free agents, but we can go cheap on either the power forward or point guard position or trading for one of the positions, while signing Brandon Roy.

Really?
06-29-2012, 08:23 AM
Can we get another backup 3, question right now how many roster spots do we have open.

pacers74
06-29-2012, 08:47 AM
Sign Hill and Hibbert of course, but I hope we take a look at Brandon Roy. If he can play anything like he did in the playoffs last year we would be very lucky to sign him. He would make a perfect 6th man.

k_lewis93
06-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Steve Nash, Derron Williams, Bass, Dragic, really hope we try to get Brandon Roy, and not a free agent but hope we bring on EJ

Pacerized
06-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Some of the names brought up blow my mind. If we were over the cap and only had the MLE to work with then I'd understand going after mediocre players. This is our last chance to make a real impact through free agency and we'd better do it. We need a player that makes a huge impact on our team and that list looks to start and end with Williams, Nash and maybe Kaman if all else fails. If all we do is bring in a player like Dragic or Bass that simply won't cut it this year. At least try to swing for the fences.

graphic-er
06-29-2012, 10:00 AM
I want them to set this team up for the next 3-4 years. Go get Eric Gordon. Make it happen!

Hicks
06-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Pacers better swing for the fences in FA after this shitpile of a draft. If we literally go out and just meander around, don't be agressive and just continue to play it safe, then nobody will ever be able to have the excuse again that we've never been in the position to spend.

This is what I fear is to come.

Hicks
06-29-2012, 10:39 AM
I expect us to pay for Roy and Hill. It's past that where I'm expecting them to piddle around.

I'd prefer we improve at least one position with outside help, like Brandon Bass or if not him Carl Landry.

Aw Heck
06-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Point guard and power forward is what they should look to improve.

Targets should be Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Andre Miller, Goran Dragic. Williams won't consider the Pacers. Nash might, but will likely sign somewhere else. I'm betting the Pacers won't view Miller or Dragic as clear upgrades to Hill, so they'll just end up re-signing Hill.

One thing that I am concerned about is that David West's contract is up at the end of this season and by then he'll be 32 years old. What is the future at PF for the Pacers? Hansbrough isn't ready to take over. The Pacers' much coveted capspace is going to be gone by the end of the summer. They're not going to have a lottery pick next summer. Are we just going to re-sign David West or settle for mediocrity from here on out? I don't know who the Pacers should go after, but I feel like power forward is something that needs to be addressed.

I think what will end up happening is that the Pacers will re-sign Hibbert and Hill. Then they'll fill out the bench with journeymen backups. We'll head into the season thinking, "Hey, maybe they can get something good for Collison/Hansbrough/West at the trade deadline." But nothing will happen. The return of Walsh signals to me that we've returned to the era of playing it safe.

Sparhawk
06-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Houston is full of forwards. I wonder if they'd be a good trade partner.

PacerPenguins
06-29-2012, 11:04 AM
we should definitely take a long hard look at signing brandon bass

Steagles
06-29-2012, 11:07 AM
we should definitely take a long hard look at signing brandon bass

You can say that again. Bass on this team would be ridiculous.

Mourning
06-29-2012, 11:14 AM
Houston is full of forwards. I wonder if they'd be a good trade partner.

and decent to good point guards, both positions of which we have something to give and where they are allready pretty much done. Only thing I can see happenning there is Lowry conclusively forcing his way out of Houston and them wanting a good backup PG and a pick back. We could hand them DC and our pick for next year. That way IF we resign Hill he can go back to being our backup at PG and SG or start at SG depending on opposition. That would give us a lot of flexibility.

So, basically... get Lowry, resign both Hibbert and if possible, without massively overpaying, Hill. Keep Hans for the season see if he bounces back.

Probably let go of Barbosa (with Orlando taking part of his minutes and Dahntay the remaining), Fez (though I would like to keep an extra defensive big especially with the rookie fouls Plumlee is bound to get thrown his way). Not sure... Lou's not a FA is he?

sav
06-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Re-sign Hibbert. Re-sign Hill. Sign wing that can score, Brandon Roy if healthy. Or trade DC for wing that can score and sign back up PG.

PacersHomer
06-29-2012, 11:21 AM
I don't have enough faith in this FO to go out and make a good signing after this draft. Brandon Bass would be the best and then trade Hansbrough for anything. Signing Brandon Roy would be nice. Steve Nash is going to be a Raptor because he's way too loyal to team & country.

Also anyone still implying that Hibbert may not be a Pacer next year needs to stop because it's just not a smart thing to say.

Larry Staverman
06-29-2012, 11:23 AM
The Pacers' much coveted capspace is going to be gone by the end of the summer.

Actually if we sign the 2 rookies, resign Hill and Hibbert, don't add any other significant free agents this year and don't extend Hans or Collison we will have the following under contract for 2013-2014

Granger 14 mill
Hibbert 13 mill
Hill 7 mill
George 3.3 mill
Stephenson (option) 1 mill
Plumlee 1 mill
Johnson .7 mill

Total of 40 million leaving $18 million based on this years cap number and higher if the cap goes up after next season.

Even after subtracting minimum contract holds we could have as much as $15 million available after next year.

Now is not the time to get Joe Dumars disease and think you have to spend all your money just because it is there. If a move makes sense for the long term fine otherwise keeping your flexibility isn't all bad.

Jrod Jones
06-29-2012, 11:24 AM
The biggest problem this team faced was feeding the post. If Hill/DC improve this offseason in their ability to get the ball to big Roy (its also on him to work on his positioning and aggressiveness) then I think the only position of need would be a backup 4. Most of the players on our team are able to cover multiple positions.

PG- Hill, DC, Stephenson

SG- PGeorge, Hill, Stephenson, Johnson, DJones

SF- Granger, PGeorge, Johnson, DJones

PF- West, Hansbrough, Granger

C- Hibbert, West, Plumlee

What we need is a bigman to replace Hansbrough as the 2nd option PF and we need a point guard who can feed the post (whether we obtain that through FA or through internal player development remains to be seen). Bring in a guy like Landry, Bass or Clark while resigning Roy and Hill and I would be very content. Also taking a flyer on Brandon Roy could be a huge Xfactor for us next season.

CableKC
06-29-2012, 11:30 AM
The biggest problem this team faced was feeding the post. If Hill/DC improve this offseason in their ability to get the ball to big Roy (its also on him to work on his positioning and aggressiveness) then I think the only position of need would be a backup 4. Most of the players on our team are able to cover multiple positions.

PG- Hill, DC, Stephenson

SG- PGeorge, Hill, Stephenson, Johnson, DJones

SF- Granger, PGeorge, Johnson, DJones

PF- West, Hansbrough, Granger

C- Hibbert, West, Plumlee

What we need is a bigman to replace Hansbrough as the 2nd option PF and we need a point guard who can feed the post (whether we obtain that through FA or through internal player development remains to be seen). Bring in a guy like Landry, Bass or Clark while resigning Roy and Hill and I would be very content. Also taking a flyer on Brandon Roy could be a huge Xfactor for us next season.
Remember, we now have 5 Frontcourt Players under Contract:

West/Hibbert/Hansbrough/Plumlee/Pendegraph

Although my preference is to upgrade Hansbrough and replace him with Landry or even Brandon Bass....I'm not going to hold my breath.

I think that improving our PG rotation is still our greatest need and it comes down to how much the FO is will to spend on that. I was simply not to impressed by a GH/DC PG rotation and don't think that it is one that could get us deep in the Playoffs.

graphic-er
06-29-2012, 11:42 AM
I really hope they keep Fesenko as well. I just don't think he got a fair shot from Vogel. You could do alot worse at back up center or even 3rd center.

Jrod Jones
06-29-2012, 11:43 AM
As I said, the one thing that Hill/DC repeatedly struggled with was getting Hibbert enough looks. There were 8 games in which he shot the ball 6 or less times. That is just unacceptable. This team was 18-4 when Hibbert scored 15+ this season, there is just no excuse not to run the offense through him ever.

I think that Hill and DC can improve upon getting the ball in to Hibbert, therefore leaving us no need to swap either of them out. I would be in favor to replace DC with a better passing PG like Dragic or Lowry. The key to this offseason, besides internal player development, is grabbing a legitimate backup 4. Hansbrough is not capable of effectively covering that position and we have enough cash to bring in a legit backup.

Tom White
06-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Nash is already gone imo

Toronto beckons

Yes, and I don't understand the infatuation with Nash around here. You really want to pay a 39 year old who plays NO defense, and that the entire offense would have to be changed for, and that would need to be replaced in a year or so a boat load of money? Not me! Of course maybe Social Security could help pick up part of his salary.

PacersHomer
06-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Yes, and I don't understand the infatuation with Nash around here. You really want to pay a 39 year old who plays NO defense, and that the entire offense would have to be changed for, and that would need to be replaced in a year or so a boat load of money? Not me! Of course maybe Social Security could help pick up part of his salary.

Yeah I don't get why we would want a player who averages 11 assists a game and makes every player look 10 times better than they actually are.

Cubs231721
06-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Actually if we sign the 2 rookies, resign Hill and Hibbert, don't add any other significant free agents this year and don't extend Hans or Collison we will have the following under contract for 2013-2014

Granger 14 mill
Hibbert 13 mill
Hill 7 mill
George 3.3 mill
Stephenson (option) 1 mill
Plumlee 1 mill
Johnson .7 mill

Total of 40 million leaving $18 million based on this years cap number and higher if the cap goes up after next season.

Even after subtracting minimum contract holds we could have as much as $15 million available after next year.

Now is not the time to get Joe Dumars disease and think you have to spend all your money just because it is there. If a move makes sense for the long term fine otherwise keeping your flexibility isn't all bad.

The Pacers could open up that much cap room, but they'd have to break up their core to do that. To have that much cap room, they'd have to renounce West, Hansbrough, and Collison. West's cap hold alone will eat up the vast majority of that space. So it becomes a vastly different situation than this year where they can sign somebody without having to renounce anybody they would like to keep.

beezer615
06-29-2012, 11:58 AM
I'd love to see a true point guard again in blue and Gold. 29th in assists per game won't work.

troyc11a
06-29-2012, 12:02 PM
The only way Nash averages 11 apg is to bring JOB back. This team is not an up tempo, play no defense type team anymore. So Nash really doesnt fit.

CableKC
06-29-2012, 12:08 PM
I think that Hill and DC can improve upon getting the ball in to Hibbert, therefore leaving us no need to swap either of them out. I would be in favor to replace DC with a better passing PG like Dragic or Lowry. The key to this offseason, besides internal player development, is grabbing a legitimate backup 4. Hansbrough is not capable of effectively covering that position and we have enough cash to bring in a legit backup.
I'd really prefer to upgrade our backup PF to Landry or even Bass and even send Hansbrough out to get more assets......but I wouldn't be surprised if the FO and Coaching Staff would want to see how Hansbrough and Miles do together in the Frontcourt.

Pacergeek
06-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Lou Williams. Explosive scorer off the bench

Larry Staverman
06-29-2012, 12:14 PM
The Pacers could open up that much cap room, but they'd have to break up their core to do that. To have that much cap room, they'd have to renounce West, Hansbrough, and Collison. West's cap hold alone will eat up the vast majority of that space. So it becomes a vastly different situation than this year where they can sign somebody without having to renounce anybody they would like to keep.

How do you know who they are going to want to keep after next season? If they spend the entire $10 million in cap space on a player or players with a long term deal you won't be able to keep everyone and stay under the luxury tax level in the long term.

My point was if we don't use the cap space this year we would still have the flexibility to have cap space next year if they wanted. If you spend the money this year then you either won't be able resign one of your own players or bring in another free agent next year. Eventually the rookie contracts become too expensive to resign and stay under the luxury tax.

BringJackBack
06-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Next year, in theory, could we throw a max deal at someone and get David West back? We don't have his bird rights since its only two years, right?

Tom White
06-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Yeah I don't get why we would want a player who averages 11 assists a game and makes every player look 10 times better than they actually are.

Listen, I fully understand how good he has been throughout his career. My problem with it is, I see that career being very close to over. Now if the Pacers had a young-pup point guard they thought was the future star at that position, and wanted to give him a chance to learn under Nash's tutoring, then maybe it is a different story. Thing is, they don't have that young-pup, you've just spent a bunch of money on an aging player, your defense at the position has just gone from not-so-good to terrible, and you've changed the entire offense to fit a guy who might be around for a year. Want to know why he may be considering playing for Toronto? Its because he realizes that he is close to done, and wants to finish his career in his home country. He is clearly on his downside, while the team is on its upward swing. It isn't a good match.

Really?
06-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Assuming we sign both rookies we have 3 spots open, how would you guys like to fill those,

Currently we are looking something like this

C: Roy/Plumlee
PF:West/Hans/Jeff
SF:Danny/Jones
SG:PG/Johnson/Lance
PG:Hill/Collison

I think adding a versatile 3/stretch 4, a PG with size, and another C for depth, or we could just scrap that PG and keep a roster spot open...

BornReady#6
06-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Dream Line up for opening night

pg: Deron Williams, Collison, Machado
sg: Eric Gordon, George Hill, Orlando Johnson
sf: Granger, PG, Tmac
pf: West, Tyler, Ryan Anderson
c: Hibbert, Camby, Plumlee

In order by positions

pgs:
1. Deron Williams
2. Steve Nash
3. George Hill
4. Aaron Brooks
5. Andre Miller
6. Goran Dragic
7. Chauncey Billups
8. Scott Machado
9. Louis Williams

sgs:
1. Eric Gordon
2. Nick Young
3. Ray Allen
4. Brandon Roy
5. Oj MAYO
6. Rudy Fernandez
7. Gerald Green
8. Jodie Meeks
9. Alonzo Gee
10. Tmac
11. Twill

sfs:
1. Gerald Wallace
2. Grant Hill

pfs:
1. KG
2. Ryan Anderson
3. Anthony Randolph
4. Ersan Ilyasova
5. Derrick Caracter

cs:
1. Hibbert
2. Kaman
3. Camby
4. Oden
5. Thabeet

pwee31
06-29-2012, 03:12 PM
I think we'll match any offer for Hibbert. Hill will depend on the price. It was smart to keep Collison in case Hill gets a bigger offer than expected.

If Hill is not resigned, I could see the Pacers adding Felton, Dre Miller, Hinrich or Dragic to the mix.

The Pacers will almost definitely look for a scorer. I still think they'll look into Crawford. Look for Mayo, BRoy, Courtney Lee

We'll also likely grab a PF with West in last year of his deal, and Hansbrough not playing as well off the bench. I'm thinking Ilyasova, Jeff Green, Landry. Wouldn't be shocked to see Anthony Randolph's name come up again either

Lance George
06-29-2012, 03:16 PM
Jeff Green sounds like a reasonable, realistic option. I'd prefer the more talented Ersan lyasova, but Green will be far more easily obtained and cheaper. Gerald Wallace is also an option, although, between he, Danny, and West, I don't know if there's enough minutes to go around at the forward spots.

Dragic's probably a better point guard than either Hill or Collison, so, if he could be had for a reasonable price ($7.5M~), I'd be all for it. I expect him to re-sign with Houston. I will say this -- with Portland drafting Lillard, and Toronto wooing Nash, we may be his most logical non-Houston option.

I've always liked Anthony Randolph's potential. If he could be had for cheap (probably_, I'd be all for bringing him in. I still think he has the makings of something special if he could get his head on straight enough to put all of his talent together on the court.

Chris Kaman and Andre Miller don't full pressing needs, but both are very good players that would add to our overall talent-level.

O.J. Mayo's another option...

My top choices would probably be to sign Dragic to replace D.C., sign Randolph to replace Hansbrough, re-sign Hill and Hibbert, then use D.C. and/or Tyler as trade bait to fill in whatever needs we have.

CableKC
06-29-2012, 03:26 PM
I'm going through the minutes....( A ) assuming that we want to give minutes to Lance, Orlando and Miles minutes to develop, ( B ) we will re-sign both GH and Hibbert, ( C ) DC is traded and ( D ) Hansbrough is kept.....I only see us having room for a PG or a Guard/Forward playing Starting or 6th Man minutes.

Everything depends on what we want to do with DC and Hansbrough. My guess is that we will end up keeping Hansbrough and trading DC for an upgrade at the PG spot ( he won't want to be a backup for GH or another Starting PG ).

Jrod Jones
06-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Interesting developments in the PG world last night that I had not fully brought together until just now. With the Suns drafting KMarshall and the Blazers drafting Lillard that really narrows the options for Dragic and Lowry. There aren't many other teams desperate for a starting PG so it makes more sense for one of them to bite as a backup for us. Toronto is going hard for Nash and the Mavs want Deron but other then those 2 teams going after star talent there doesn't seem to be many teams looking to pay for a high quality PG.

esabyrn333
06-29-2012, 03:40 PM
Eric Gordon would be nice

OJ Mayo would make me happy

Call Sacremento see what it would take to get Tyreke Evans

Realisticly I would love to se OJ come in and battle Paul George for the starting 2 guard spot if he is better cool if not we have a guy who can back up both guard spots and get starters minutes Hill/Mayo would be cool with me as our PG rotation.

PR07
06-29-2012, 03:42 PM
If Bird were still running the show, given our past history, I'd have to say Mayo would be high on the list.

RLeWorm
06-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Pass on dragic! Not sure what u guys see in him. He is going to be like most euro league players, inconsistent!

Steagles
06-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Ersan Ilyasova. The diamond in the rough. He could be the steal of this year's free agency.

Hicks
06-29-2012, 04:41 PM
The front office has made it very clear we're not upgrading any of our starting positions. They'll bring back Hill and Hibbert (only Hill may leave if someone goes NUTS on an offer for him), and beyond that they may or may not add to the bench through trades or perhaps FA.

So no Nash, Deron, Gordon, Dragic, etc.

I see Lowry makes less than Hill will probably command over the next two seasons, so maybe we could entertain trading for him if we want to go in another direction, but I bet we just pay Hill instead.

Right now, under the assumption of the retaining of Hill and Hibbert, we have:

Point Guards: Darren Collison

Combo Guards: George Hill, Lance Stephenson

Shooting Guards: Orlando Johnson

Wings: Paul George, Dahntay Jones

Forwards: Danny Granger

Power Forwards: David West, Tyler Hansbrough, Jeff Pendergraph

Centers: Roy Hibbert, Miles Plumlee

Bold = Starters, Red = Most likely to be traded, Green = Least likely to be traded

So the most likely spots to change via trade or free agency are Backup Point Guard, Backup Small Forward, and Backup Power Forward (Collison, Jones, Hansbrough)

I'm just not sure what they're planning to do here. They don't want to upgrade the starters, and in that case the only reason to trade DC is if he can't handle being the backup again. Jones was decent at his job, and more than that they seem to want to make Paul George the backup SF to give him more minutes (which didn't work so well in the playoffs, but may look better next season in the fall), so I don't see a rush to get someone else at this spot.

We have the most depth at PF (I believe JP is at least as good as Tyler was last year, possibly a bit better), yet this would also seem like the spot most likely to improve upon because if you get someone better than DC, that guy is likely going to cause another battle for starting point between whomever that is and George Hill, which I'm not sure they want.

So I suppose to me you can either trade DC and Tyler for the best big man you can get (preferably a PF), or you try to sign someone like Brandon Bass or Carl Landry. But if you do that, what do you try to even get from Tyler and DC, a backup SF you don't really need, a veteran backup 5 that makes the 26th pick even more of a waste, or a better PG, creating a potential controversy there?

This all made more sense to me when I thought we might try to get a better starter at the 1 or the 2, but now that I believe that's not the goal, it's more of a mess to me.

Do they trust Lance to be the backup PG? If so, trade DC and Tyler for what, exactly?

pacer4ever
06-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Next year, in theory, could we throw a max deal at someone and get David West back? We don't have his bird rights since its only two years, right?

No our cap space will be gone for the most part after we sign Roy and Hill this is really our last shot to really go after a free agent with big $$$.

Also Hicks I dont think OJ is just a SG he can play multiple spots IMO.

CableKC
06-29-2012, 05:33 PM
The front office has made it very clear we're not upgrading any of our starting positions. They'll bring back Hill and Hibbert (only Hill may leave if someone goes NUTS on an offer for him), and beyond that they may or may not add to the bench through trades or perhaps FA.
I like GH better as the Starting PG over DC....but I don't think that he should be considered a quality Starting PG that would take us to the Championship. GH was the Starter towards the end of last season only because he was clearly a better option than DC. Get a better PG that can properly run the offense as the Starter and push him down the ladder to be the 6th Man or the 1st Guard off the bench.

As either the 6th Man or the 1st Guard off the bench.....he could still average the same amount of minutes as last season.

Gamble1
06-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Ersan Ilyasova. The diamond in the rough. He could be the steal of this year's free agency.

He is going to get around 8 million so he won't be a steal IMO. Good player but everyone knows about him including the teams that can pay for his services.

Hicks
06-29-2012, 05:48 PM
I like GH better as the Starting PG over DC....but I don't think that he should be considered a quality Starting PG that would take us to the Championship. GH was the Starter towards the end of last season only because he was clearly a better option than DC. Get a better PG that can properly run the offense as the Starter and push him down the ladder to be the 6th Man or the 1st Guard off the bench.

As either the 6th Man or the 1st Guard off the bench.....he could still average the same amount of minutes as last season.

Right, but the front office seems to feel content to leave him at the starting 1.

Mourning
06-29-2012, 07:08 PM
Right, but the front office seems to feel content to leave him at the starting 1.

Yup! That's exactly what I'm afraid of aswell. We'll probably end up keeping DC and lose him next year for zilch. resign Roy and Hill and bring in some marginal players that will get hyped up, but won't make any substantial difference. Landry for example...

God, I'm turning into a cynic now. How I hope they prove me wrong. Starting point and backup PF both need to be beefed.

RLeWorm
06-29-2012, 07:56 PM
I don't like the teams preference to try and resign our players first. GH is good and all but he wont being us to no championship. And I think this is actually Simon's plan. We are going to plateau.

Steagles
06-29-2012, 07:59 PM
I don't like the teams preference to try and resign our players first. GH is good and all but he wont being us to no championship. And I think this is actually Simon's plan. We are going to plateau.

Why do you think this? Not sarcastic either, I just can't grasp why Simon would want to.

RLeWorm
06-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Why do you think this? Not sarcastic either, I just can't grasp why Simon would want to.

not trying to start a war. but isn't it known that Herb Simon doesn't really want to spend a lot of money on FA?

Steagles
06-29-2012, 08:35 PM
not trying to start a war. but isn't it known that Herb Simon doesn't really want to spend a lot of money on FA?

That is known. I thought you meant he intentionally wanted to sabotage our championship chances, rather than just be a tightwad. My bad.

ChristianDudley
06-29-2012, 08:43 PM
OH JAY MAYO!!!!