PDA

View Full Version : Pacers Buy Orlando Johnson

Steagles
06-28-2012, 11:06 PM
Just saw. Better than Plum freaking lee.

Heisenberg
06-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Too bad Herb won't spend money.

Noodle
06-28-2012, 11:08 PM
This guy caught my attention a while ago. I think we landed a steal here. The steal of the draft and the bum of the draft. Ok, I suppose I can sleep slightly better now.

Lance George
06-28-2012, 11:11 PM
Looking at his pre-draft measurements and production, he's got small-school sleeper written all over him.

Sandman21
06-28-2012, 11:11 PM
YEESSSSSSSSS!!!!

xIndyFan
06-28-2012, 11:12 PM
didn't tbird like him?

Steagles
06-28-2012, 11:13 PM
didn't tbird like him?

Yes. He did. I will sleep a bit better and hopefully GRH is right and he turns out awesome.

eldubious
06-28-2012, 11:17 PM
This must have been a Walsh or Pritchard pick.

pizza guy
06-28-2012, 11:18 PM
this definitely makes the night better. I like this kid a lot

thequestionmark123
06-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Alright, I just made an account here to tell you how great OJ is. I've watched him all three years at UCSB and he's an absolute monster. He can score in any and every way and he's a natural born leader. He commands the floor and he's always taking and making the big shots. I work for the basketball team so I've seen him at many practices and no one works harder than him. He's in the gym 24/7 and is extremely dedicated. Besides his on court greatness, he's also a really down to earth and humble person. It only took him one day to learn my name and a few weeks to give me a nickname. Read up on his story too and you can see where he gets his quiet confidence. Pacers got an absolute steal and his work ethic will make him successful.

Marlin
06-28-2012, 11:20 PM
this definitely makes the night better. I like this kid a lot

Seconded. Hard not to root for the guy, and he's very skilled.

Makes the Plumlee pill easier to swallow, at the very least.

wintermute
06-28-2012, 11:21 PM
Yeah, I like this move. And we got the #36 pick for cash only. As long as Simon is willing to pay, why the heck not.

CoolHand
06-28-2012, 11:22 PM
I really like this one.

Slick Pinkham
06-28-2012, 11:23 PM
Getting a more athletic James Jones makes up a little for getting a poor man's Granville Waiters in the 1st round

Anthem
06-28-2012, 11:23 PM
Nice to get him with that 2nd-round pick.

rel
06-28-2012, 11:25 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zJN-Ne1DWl8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Guy looks promising...i dig it.

Nuntius
06-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Yay! I'm happy :)

Heisenberg
06-28-2012, 11:42 PM
Just occurred to me that Bird finally got his OJ

Steagles
06-28-2012, 11:44 PM
Just occurred to me that Bird finally got his OJ

Very true, never thought of that.

*astrisk*
06-28-2012, 11:45 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zJN-Ne1DWl8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The real question after watching this mixtape is, who had more fans attend games this past season, Pacers or UCSB?

ApNeDtRiEeW
06-28-2012, 11:46 PM
Can we refer to him as Orlando Calrissian?

thequestionmark123
06-28-2012, 11:51 PM
That's not UCSB. UCSB's crowd is actually pretty good.

Sandman21
06-28-2012, 11:59 PM
didn't tbird like him?

He wasn't the only one. I would have been happy to draft Orlando at 26 after reading Tbird's report.

Justin Tyme
06-29-2012, 12:03 AM
Too bad Herb won't spend money.

I give Herb a thumbs up for doing it. It's the 1st time I ever remember Simons ever buying a pick. Pritchard must be a convincing talker.

Jrod Jones
06-29-2012, 12:04 AM
This saved the night.

Eleazar
06-29-2012, 12:05 AM
Can we refer to him as Orlando Calrissian?

I approve of this name change, so much more awesome than Orlando Johnson.

TMJ31
06-29-2012, 12:25 AM
I am excited to see Orlando play.

A few videos and articles I've seen in the last few hours already have me rooting for the guy, and impressed with his game.

Can't wait :)

GrangerRanger
06-29-2012, 12:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrkkzGhxqs4

Very well spoken. I like this kid.

Lance George
06-29-2012, 12:38 AM
Looking over his measurements, I noticed that, physically, he's remarkably similar to Dwyane Wade.

http://oi49.tinypic.com/1692qs6.jpg

His size is close to perfect for the modern-day prototypical shooting guard. 6'5", muscular, and super long arms. Great production, too, albeit at a small school.

http://oi47.tinypic.com/35ksrye.jpg

tadscout
06-29-2012, 12:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj4D_B0gT48&feature=related

Heisenberg
06-29-2012, 12:44 AM
Looking over his measurements, I noticed that, physically, he's remarkably similar to Dwyane Wade.

His size is close to perfect for the modern-day prototypical shooting guard. 6'5", muscular, and super long arms. Great production, too, albeit at a small school.

How're they the same height w/o shoes, OJ has a half in longer wingspan, but Wade's standing reach is 3 inches longer?

rel
06-29-2012, 12:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj4D_B0gT48&feature=related

lovin' this guy's game. Not scared to take it to the hole...exactly what we need.

CableKC
06-29-2012, 01:03 AM
I give Herb a thumbs up for doing it. It's the 1st time I ever remember Simons ever buying a pick. Pritchard must be a convincing talker.
Yeah...this seems like a KP move to me....especially after reaching for Plumlee with the 26th pick.

Heisenberg
06-29-2012, 01:07 AM
Yeah...this seems like a KP move to me....especially after reaching for Plumlee with the 26th pick.

to be a fly on the wall when Bird said "I want Plumlee..."

pacer4ever
06-29-2012, 01:32 AM

On tape he was so much thicker than what he was at the combine. He gained 7inches on his vert and lost 20lbs since the end of his season. If he plays quicker than he shows on tape (guessing he will losing the weight and gaining 7 in vert) he will be a gem in the 2nd If not I think he will be a lot like Landry Fields/randy foye really solid on both ends but nothing special. I really liked his game on tape really versatile can see him playing 3 positions depending on matchups.

tadscout
06-29-2012, 01:35 AM
On tape he was so much thicker than what he was at the combine. He gained 7inches on his vert and lost 20lbs since the end of his season. If he plays quicker than he shows on tape (guessing he will losing the weight and gaining 7 in vert) he will be a gem in the 2nd If not I think he will be a lot like Landry Fields/randy foye really solid on both ends but nothing special. I really liked his game on tape really versatile can see him playing 3 positions depending on matchups.

Do you think Johnson and Stephenson can play off the bench together as the wing players? (Guessing Stephenson's extra bulk he would play the 3?)

Lance George
06-29-2012, 02:01 AM

He looks far more athletic than I was expecting. Good ball handling, too. Lights-out shooter. Great size. Reportedly a great work ethic. Maybe it's the Pacers homes in me speaking, but this guy might be a steal.

Psyren
06-29-2012, 02:07 AM
Do you think Johnson and Stephenson can play off the bench together as the wing players? (Guessing Stephenson's extra bulk he would play the 3?)

No.

Not unless we use Lance at the 1 and OJ at the 2.

Im thinking Lances days might be numbered, though Id like to see him get extended minutes.

pacer4ever
06-29-2012, 02:12 AM

much better than Jones and Stephenson when they were in the rotation together. Main reason I was pissed we traded Rush we traded our only shooter off the bench. Now we have a guy who pairs well with either Jones or Stephenson IMO. He can space the floor which was the main issue with our 2nd unit IMO. You cant penetrate if you have no shooters teams fear.

I think at worst he is Brandon Rush and I was a big fan of Rush so I am happy with that. But I do like OJ's mid range game better than Rush on offense and he can penetrate a bit better(but at the NBA level I dont think his handle translates as well as the tape would lead you to believe. Partly due to not having a great burst but if he lost 15-20lbs he may have a much better burst now). I think he can run the point for stretches he had to play a lot of pg in the games I watched but I think he is more suited for a 2/3 role. but I mean we arent looking at a Dwade like GrangRush posted he isnt gonna finish at will at the rim :laugh:

But in terms of need he is just that we didnt have a guy on the roster with his skill set after we traded Brush.

I am still watching tape on the guy will get to a few more games tomorrow.

No.

Not unless we use Lance at the 1 and OJ at the 2.

Im thinking Lances days might be numbered, though Id like to see him get extended minutes.
I think OJ can play the 3 and in some stretches /matchups OJ can play pg I would be much more comfortable with him at pg than Lance or Price better decision maker IMO.

bunt
06-29-2012, 02:29 AM
I think at worst he is Brandon Rush and I was a big fan of Rush so I am happy with that.

I disagree agree with you a bit. Yeah, he has the outside shooting and defensive abilities similar to Rush. But I think a huge difference between the two is their mentality on the court. Rush has always been a complimentary piece, whereas OJ has been the go to guy, capable of knocking down shots or getting to the rim. I think OJ's mentality, his playing style makes him a possibly much improved replacement for Barbosa's role. A guy that can create his own shot, create a shot for others, and be a pretty solid wing defender (unlike Barbosa). No he's not DWade, but he could become a very solid third wing.

CJ Jones
06-29-2012, 02:34 AM
I realize they're highlight video's and he's playing against inferior players, but damn, they were impressive. The guy did it all offensively: posted up with great footwork, athletic, better handles than I expected, shot the defenders eye out about 30 times (i see what tbird was talking about), he's got NBA range effortlessly, impressive interview... all that and he can play D? How the hell did he last that long? Small school and questions about his speed, that's it?

This might be bad news for Lance. I can't see us going into next year with 3 rookies (Lance is basically one too in games played) playing together in the second unit. I hope wrong though.

Besides that, I don't know why they couldn't play together. They both have plenty of strength and length to guard backup SFs.

pacer4ever
06-29-2012, 02:38 AM
I disagree agree with you a bit. Yeah, he has the outside shooting and defensive abilities similar to Rush. But I think a huge difference between the two is their mentality on the court. Rush has always been a complimentary piece, whereas OJ has been the go to guy, capable of knocking down shots or getting to the rim. I think OJ's mentality, his playing style makes him a possibly much improved replacement for Barbosa's role. A guy that can create his own shot, create a shot for others, and be a pretty solid wing defender (unlike Barbosa). No he's not DWade, but he could become a very solid third wing.

Did you read that?? I said worst case scenerio.

It is pretty funny watching his tape he will be tripled teamed almost the whole game and still makes the right basketball play. I think when he gets to the NBA and be the 2nd or 3rd option off the bench he will be like "**** this is easy im finally not getting all the attention"

I was shocked he only turned the ball over 2.5 times a game with the amount of defensive planning and attention he gets.

He compares himself to James Harden and I do get why he says so he has a lot of his skills.

IndyPacer
06-29-2012, 06:07 AM
How're they the same height w/o shoes, OJ has a half in longer wingspan, but Wade's standing reach is 3 inches longer?

It's also odd that Wade only gained 3.5 inches going from no-step to max vertical. It was a 7.5 inch difference for OJ.

Evan_The_Dude
06-29-2012, 06:45 AM
Never heard of this guy like a lot of you. This could be a steal, or it can be our yearly 2nd Round Pick that everybody talks about like he's going to be an all-star that never ends up getting enough minutes. I stay optimistic so I hope he pans out (I feel that way about Lance too). From the highlights two things stand out. 1. A post up game, and 2. Amazing body control/awareness while handling the ball.

Jeremy
06-29-2012, 07:21 AM

Guy looks promising...i dig it.That mixtape makes him look like Tracy McGrady (blocked shots, jumpers, and dunks) but I doubt he is THAT good.

Really?
06-29-2012, 07:52 AM

Does he have any type of midrange game?

BringJackBack
06-29-2012, 08:28 AM
P4E, you're getting me excited about this pick. Stop it. :laugh:

But really, I'm not going to have expectations right now, but I think that if we do get Brandon Roy this year, then in two years I hope Orlando Johnson can really step it up and be something, and until then be a backup three with range.

bunt
06-29-2012, 08:34 AM
Did you read that?? I said worst case scenerio.

I did read that, that's why I said I disagreed with you a bit. There's more appropriate worst case scenarios with this guy, other than Brandon Rush, especially when comparing their personality and game mentality.

tsm612
06-29-2012, 08:49 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aWPQd_sjE2g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Justin Tyme
06-29-2012, 09:28 AM
"IF" the Pacers pick up BRoy as someone said, there will be no place on this team for the "pet project." Unless, Jimmy returns to play smallball.

Sparhawk
06-29-2012, 09:38 AM
Is Orlando more of a spot up shooter, or can he put it on the floor and create for himself?

Ace E.Anderson
06-29-2012, 09:42 AM
Is Orlando more of a spot up shooter, or can he put it on the floor and create for himself?

He's more of a 3-4 dribble guy. He can create for himself, but wont force the issue to the point where he turns it over or shoots a bad shot.

pacer4ever
06-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Does he have any type of midrange game?

Yes quite a bit of a mid range game he likes taking 2 dribbles and pulling up off a PnR. I believe by synergy almost 40% of his half court shot attempts were pull ups and was really efficient in doing so really his bread and butter. I have a feeling our 2nd unit is gonna be a ton of PnR with Orlando and Miles or Tyler. (if he isnt doing that he is fine without the ball as well as a spot up shooter)

It's amazing how much better shape he looks in that San Fran pro-am mix than what he was in college film I watch defiantly looks quicker and easily 10lbs lighter probably more. I hope it helps him separate that is my only question with him doesn't separate that well and do to that takes a ton of tough shots and in the NBA would be impossible shots. But I imagine that is why he lost the weight so he can separate better at the next level.

and yes Jermey highlight tapes can make anyone look like Kobe that is why GMs and Scouts watch games :laugh:

WhoLovesYaBaby?
06-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Bird should go into your places of business and tell some of you unnecessary how to do your jobs.

owl
06-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Alright, I just made an account here to tell you how great OJ is. I've watched him all three years at UCSB and he's an absolute monster. He can score in any and every way and he's a natural born leader. He commands the floor and he's always taking and making the big shots. I work for the basketball team so I've seen him at many practices and no one works harder than him. He's in the gym 24/7 and is extremely dedicated. Besides his on court greatness, he's also a really down to earth and humble person. It only took him one day to learn my name and a few weeks to give me a nickname. Read up on his story too and you can see where he gets his quiet confidence. Pacers got an absolute steal and his work ethic will make him successful.

Thanks for the inside information. If he had been picked in the first at 26 and Plumlee at where he was obtained everyone would be saying we had a great draft.

D-BONE
06-29-2012, 09:06 PM
"IF" the Pacers pick up BRoy as someone said, there will be no place on this team for the "pet project." Unless, Jimmy returns to play smallball.

Or unless someone is moved/not resigned.

Eleazar
06-30-2012, 12:52 AM

Longer neck and head, although that is quite a bit of difference, so I would say there was an error made in measurement.

cgg
06-30-2012, 12:58 AM
Wider body.

pacer4ever
06-30-2012, 08:30 PM
I just bought a really nice capture card to record games so in the future I can keep the tapes of all the people I scout and watch them after they take them off espn3. I dont think I can post a full game but I will post a long highlight tape at least a half hour long. It wont just be highlights will try to feature his strengths and his weaknesses.

McKeyFan
06-30-2012, 10:16 PM
did we finally get a shooting guard that can shoot?

Hoop
06-30-2012, 10:50 PM
I always get overly excited with 2nd round picks, but once again I'm excited about this kid. I think he has a good chance of helping us this season.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yMeHYxzEIwI" allowfullscreen="" width="560" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VjSsD3ygKCA" allowfullscreen="" width="560" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>

MnvrChvy
06-30-2012, 11:15 PM
Been watching all the youtube videos of OJ. I'm really impressed with his demeanor in interviews as well as his control on the court, although I've only been watching highlight clips. Anywho, I think I figured out why this guy didn't go higher in the draft. Someone's gonna have to help him out with preserving his image. lol.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8lPtds4o6NM" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Sandman21
07-01-2012, 12:14 AM
I think I just got an idea for an Area55 video..... :laugh: