PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about Miles Plumlee

Pages : [1] 2 3

Shabazz
06-28-2012, 10:10 PM
I watched him play a lot during his college career. I honestly don't understand this pick. He had a mediocre college career. He was constantly yanked in and out of the Duke starting lineup along with Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly. He doesn't have much offense. He can't hit jumpshots. He doesn't have the size to guard NBA centers, so I guess he's going to the end of the PF depth chart. His best game of the past season was on senior night, where he played well in the first half while his team got blown out by UNC in a game that decided the ACC regular season.

Here is an awesome pic of how he attempted the patented Duke flop to take a charge, but instead was called for a foul while John Henson put his junk on his shoulder.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0f6scA0aO54be/350x.jpg

Can ANYONE explain why a 1st round draft pick was used on Miles Plumlee? Did the Pacers think they were drafting Mason Plumlee?

Shabazz
06-28-2012, 10:10 PM
6 ppg, 7 rpg as a senior.

bballpacen
06-28-2012, 10:11 PM
I would rather not talk about him right now... Would rather go get drunk and forget this night....

CooperManning
06-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Arnett Moultrie = new Jrue Holiday. Get used to it.

PacersHomer
Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooo

He sucks.

kent beckley
He turns 24 in September. 24????

PacerPenguins
06-28-2012, 10:15 PM
:death:

Dr. Awesome
06-28-2012, 10:15 PM
Larry Bird is a genius, I think I understand his though process on this:

Tyler Hansbrough is going to see a Blue Devil trying to guard him and see red. Tyler Hansbrough is going to make Plumlee look like a 5 year old every single day in practice. THEN Tyler Hansbrough is going to play more confident in real games because he is playing great in practice.

Plumlee is nothing more than a toy for Tyler.

wintermute
06-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Apparently, it's because he's a 7 foot 250 lb guy with a 40 inch vertical.

Did we just draft a taller Joe Alexander? Workout warrior FTW. I guess we wanted a project after all.

You know I kept wishing that we'd draft an athletic big, and now we did :( Be careful what you wish for indeed.

Isaac
06-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Plumlee is 23 years old and averaged 6 and 7 last year. How that's a better pick than Perry Jones is bewildering.

However...

His athleticism for being a 7 footer is impressive and he could end up having a better NBA career than he did in college. He is the anti-Tyler Hansbrough in the sense that his size and athleticism make him a better energy big man off the bench than Tyler ever could be. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up working out well for us, but I really do think PG3 is going to be pretty good.

Shabazz
06-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Pass the bottle man. I'll drink to that. I can't remember a bust pick being so obvious.

Justin Tyme
I'm livid and sick at the same time. I'm more PO'd at Bird for this choice than I was with him picking Lance Stephenson. Thanks Bird for your parting gift to the Pacers. Plumlee makes Lou look like Allstar material. Just smh in absolute disgust.

Hypnotiq
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Goobye Larry and take this draft pick with you

Nateorade
Isn't he the same player as Josh Mcroberts just older than Mcroberts was as a rookie?

Oh and he averaged considerably less points and rebounds...

I would have gone for PJ3 but again I dedicated about 30 minutes of my life reading up on this draft so what do I know...

ECKrueger
06-28-2012, 10:18 PM
Larry Bird is a genius, I think I understand his though process on this:

Tyler Hansbrough is going to see a Blue Devil trying to guard him and see red. Tyler Hansbrough is going to make Plumlee look like a 5 year old every single day in practice. THEN Tyler Hansbrough is going to play more confident in real games because he is playing great in practice.

Plumlee is nothing more than a toy for Tyler.

I suppose that'd make it worth it.

Reginald
How disappointing is the pick? I had sold half of my Colts season ticket to my brother-in-law and was considering selling the other half so I can finally renew my Pacers season ticket. Now, I'm probably looking at an 11-game mini-plan at most, if that. Hey Larry, thanks for screwing us on your way our the door. What a waste of my night. Again.

kent beckley
His standing reach is 8'9". How is that possible???? He is almost 7' tall

PacersForever
Perry Jones, Green, Lamb, Miller, Taylor ALL AVAILABLE. BUT we take Plumlee the dude that averaged 5ppg , 7 rebounds and not even 1 block over 4 years!

CooperManning
Is Plumlee even better than Kyrylo?

So did we just draft Roy's backup to come in for 15 minutes a game? Is that what we did here? Meh.

06-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Who?

http://www.kirkwilcox.com/images/chumlee.jpg

ApNeDtRiEeW
06-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Perry Jones? Marquis Teague? Doron Lamb?

Someone please explain what our management was thinking.

Slick Pinkham
06-28-2012, 10:20 PM
A taller but far, far less talented version of Josh McRoberts

and I am no Josh fanboy

The absolute worst pick of the 1st round

PacersHomer
This isn't fun.

Pacersalltheway10
Pacers will take the best player available, my ***. Any 2nd rounder will be better than Plumlee.

PacersForever
Amundson > Plumlee
Pendergraph>Plumlee

pacer4ever
06-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Bird called him best dirty worker in the draft?? Has Bird lost it he isn't even a dirty worker dude hates contact. Even if he was why the **** we need a dirty worker we have like 4 of them already in Pendy Lou Hans. We ficking need talent not a scrub. We are never gonna contend with a FO passing on 25 good players for a scrub who shouldn't of been drafted.

Hoop
06-28-2012, 10:22 PM
I told you guys we could do much worse than Green.

IndyHoosier
High: Jeff Foster Low: Lou Amundson :-/

http://pacerscenter.com/2012/06/25/15-prospects-in-30-days-miles-plumlee/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PacersCenter+%28Pacers+Center %29

Check out Tyshawn Taylor’s 15 in 30 report here.

Miles Plumlee

HT: 7’0

WT: 250

POS: C

College: Duke University

Hometown: Arden, NC

Range: 41.5

Highlights

Comparisons: Jeff Foster (high), Lou Amundson (low)

Strengths: Plumlee is long, big and moderately explosive. While he’s not as athletic as his brother Mason, Miles possesses some burst that must run in the family (he recorded a 40.5-inch measurement at his combine vertical test). He plays aggressively around the rim and can use his size and force to catch alleyoops and throw in put-back jams when he gets close. In just around 20 minutes per game Plumlee was a very effective rebounder, and does an adequate job on the defensive end. Though he doesn’t possess elite length or timing, he still defends the rim well and knows how to position his body. His offense is rare, but many believe it will continue to grow and that his old school game actually translates more to an NBA halfcourt team than it did at Duke, where he was overshadowed by other scorers.

Weaknesses: At 23, Plumlee is/was a late bloomer and may not have much ceiling left, despite his success toward the middle and end of his senior year. Its somewhat concerning that his body of work is so limited; as a featured part of the Duke program, he should have done better developing with the coaching he had, and by the end of the year still looked somewhat stiff and uncomfortable playing low-block offense. He’s shown flashes of effective jump shooting, but probably doesn’t have the confidence or consistency to be an offensive weapon in the NBA. He possesses a couple retro post moves, but they’re generally predictable, and he may be offensively-challenged henceforth, which will force his NBA teammates to step up whenever he’s on the court.

How he Fits: The Pacers don’t have a second round pick, which is likely where they’ll want to draft Plumlee, so they could trade back for him. Larry Bird was overheard commending Plumlee during his workout with Indiana, and later told the young center that he was impressed. We all know how much Bird loved Jeff Foster, and it’s easy to see at least a poor man’s Foster in Plumlee, who will make his money, if he does at all, with toughness, rebounding and tenacity. The Pacers need a player like Foster, and Plumlee’s the closest thing, but they’ll have to make some moves to get him to avoid missing out on better talent at the #26 spot.

Related posts:

15 Prospects in 30 Days: Draymond Green
15 Prospects in 30 Days: Evan Fournier
15 Prospects in 30 Days: Fab Melo
15 Prospects in 30 Days: Quincy Miller
15 Prospects in 30 Days: Royce White

Speed
Bilas goes, he's good when he can just play with instincts and doesn't have to think.... I hope he's Jeff Foster, that really all that we all can hope. I did DVR and NC/Duke game, so I"ll let you know how he looks.

BlueNGold
Isn't he the same player as Josh Mcroberts just older than Mcroberts was as a rookie?

I would have gone for PJ3 but again I dedicated about 30 minutes of my life reading up on this draft so what do I know...

Those were my thoughts exactly. I would have traded the pick for someone proven and you know we could have brought McBob back here...a guy who is almost certainly as good as Plumlee. The only thing I might say about Plumlee is that he may turn out to be a little bigger and stronger than Josh. But he's 24 already. Very odd pick IMHO.

Slick Pinkham
I thought he would be a decent pick, if taken halfway through the 2nd round

Shabazz
06-28-2012, 10:23 PM

Nah, McRoberts is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more skilled.

Miles Plumlee is an uncoordinated big man. That is why he couldn't even hold his starting spot at Duke. He isn't even in the same hemisphere as McRoberts. But he has muscles, so the Pacers like him.

Seriously, if Miles Plumlee is a 1st rounder then what is his brother Marshall? Marshall is far and away the better center prospect and he redshirted at dook last year after winning the McD slam dunk contest.

Mourning
06-28-2012, 10:23 PM
I've yet to fins ANYONE whose enthousiastic about this pick... Why didn't we trade down IF we wanted this dude??? I don't get it... AT. ALL.

ApNeDtRiEeW
06-28-2012, 10:24 PM
How disappointing is the pick? I had sold half of my Colts season ticket to my brother-in-law and was considering selling the other half so I can finally renew my Pacers season ticket. Now, I'm probably looking at an 11-game mini-plan at most, if that. Hey Larry, thanks for screwing us on your way our the door. What a waste of my night. Again.

lol, a draft pick determining ones decision on a season ticket plan

Steal of the draft! Steal of the draft! Steal of the draft! With a stat-line like: 6 points, 7 rebounds, and 1 block... I rounded up for the block.

3rdStrike
Good pick. You guys need to sleep it off. Way too much dramatic overreaction going on.

indygeezer
06-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Easy to cut loose at the end of his rookie contract so you don't have to worry about paying more and risk bumping up against the new and improved luxury tax? Or maybe they hope he'll develop into Jeff Foster.

Lance George
06-28-2012, 10:26 PM
DraftExpress2 ‏@DraftExpress2 (https://twitter.com/DraftExpress2)
Players Miles Plumlee can out-jump (on paper): TMac in 1997, Derrick Rose in 2008, Jason Richardson in 2001.

DraftExpress2 ‏@DraftExpress2 (https://twitter.com/DraftExpress2)
Still in awe of a 250-pound near 7-footer with a 40.5 inch vertical leap.

Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress (https://twitter.com/DraftExpress)
Here's a feature we did on Miles Plumlee discussing why he might have a better career in the NBA than he did at Duke: http://t.co/2T59PM16

Said feature:

DraftExpress: Finding a Niche For: Miles Plumlee (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Finding-a-Niche-For-Miles-Plumlee-3922/)

A physically gifted big man with some of the strongest rebounding numbers in the draft, can Miles Plumlee find himself on a NBA roster this fall?

It took four years for Miles Plumlee to develop into the type of player that Duke fans expected him to be, and even then, he played around 20 minutes per game and scored in double figures just eight times all season. Now, as his career has come to a close, it is time to reevaluate Plumlee on the basis of what he showed throughout his time at Duke to determine whether he can find a niche at the NBA level.

Purely from a physical standpoint, Plumlee looks the part of a NBA big man, measured just a hair under seven feet in shoes with a 7'0 wingspan and an outstanding frame. He bulked up to 247-pounds with allegedly only 5% body fat between his junior and senior seasons. While he's a bit mechanical in his movements, he's a very good athlete for his size--mobile, explosive around the basket, and runs the floor well.

Though he had the reputation of playing facing the basket in high school, Plumlee struggled to develop his offensive game and never turned into a legitimate scoring option at Duke. He averaged a pedestrian 6.6 points per game, a similarly mediocre 12.5 per 40 minutes pace adjusted (http://www.draftexpress.com/stats.php?year=2011%2F12&q=&per=per40pace&qual=prospects&sort=6&min=20&stage=all&league=NCAA&conference=0&pos=all&sort2=ASC), while claiming just 8.6% of Duke's offensive possessions. He did, however, shoot a career high 61% from the field, being very efficient in the limited role he played offensively.

Plumlee is still very raw around the basket, at his best catching and finishing. Though his footwork is underdeveloped, he looked comfortable executing a few basic-spin and up-and-under moves with his back to the basket and with his right hand. It's not looking very likely that Plumlee will ever develop into a reliable back-to-the-basket threat, however, especially considering his rawness as a senior and his general lack of development up to this point.

Where Plumlee does thrive and where he can clearly contribute in the NBA is with his tenacity around the basket, particularly grabbing offensive rebounds and finishing. He was the third best offensive rebounder per 40 minutes pace adjusted in our database (http://www.draftexpress.com/stats.php?sort=19&q=&league=NCAA&year=2011%2F12&per=per40pace&min=20&stage=all&conference=0&pos=all&qual=prospects) and on film, he looks to have a nose for the ball while playing a relentless and aggressive style of basketball. While he's primarily a positional rebounder, he has solid hands and the strength and athleticism to bring the ball straight up and to finish in traffic.

Outside of his offensive rebounding prowess, the another interesting wrinkle to Plumlee's game are the brief flashes (just six attempts all season) that he has shown as a spot-up shooter from mid-range, particularly given his comfort operating out of the pick-and-roll. He already sets very good screens and rolls hard to the basket, which is an asset given the predominance of pick-and-roll sets in NBA playbooks. His shooting mechanics need significant work, as his shooting touch isn't great and he spots a slow release with a bit of a hitch, but if he is able to develop in this area, he would have a much better chance of carving out a role in an NBA rotation.

Though his offensive game is still a work in a process, Plumlee improved as a defender during his senior year. His lateral quickness is above average for a player his size, and his increased strength and explosiveness could allow him to play solid post defense in a pinch coming off bench in the NBA. He did a much better job of staying out of foul trouble as a senior, averaging a career low 4.3 fouls per 40 minutes pace adjusted in increased minutes and while posting a career best 1.8 blocks per 40 minutes pace adjusted. It should also be mentioned that Plumlee is a good defensive rebounder (http://www.draftexpress.com/stats.php?sort=20&q=&league=NCAA&year=2011%2F12&per=per40pace&min=20&stage=all&conference=0&pos=all&qual=prospects), ranking 12th amongst college players in our top-100 rankings.

So, is Plumlee an NBA-caliber center? That's something he'll have to convince teams of between now and June 28th. His outstanding physical profile, efficient style of play, rebounding prowess, and flashes of potential that he shows operating out of the pick-and-roll all represent areas where he could contribute on an NBA roster. The fact that he should be able to hold his own in the post on defense certainly doesn't hurt his stock, either.

On the other hand, Plumlee turns 24 this September, has just an average feel for the game, and developed very slowly throughout his college career, leading many to question his mental toughness. His career has been marked by inconsistency and it took him a long time to get comfortable as a player, let alone a leader (http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/17318413/article-Miles-Plumlee--Duke%E2%80%99s-lone-senior--is-intent-on-closing-strong).

What is clear is that, despite his unimpressive career numbers, Plumlee is an NBA prospect and could get some looks from teams drafting in the second round. If not, he's easily the type of player who could find himself on a team's roster this fall, as there just aren't that many big men around with his physical attributes and rebounding ability.

PacersForever
Hansbrough, Plumlee and Hayward if he could have in 2010 ... Maybe Jordans not the worst in picking in the draft.

Doddage
Passing on guys like PJ and Arnett aside, if we really wanted Miles, why didn't we trade down for him and get more assets? This is very identical to what happened with the Hansbrough pick.

Shabazz
06-28-2012, 10:27 PM
TheDraftReview tweeted

"who did Miles Plumlee f**k to get drafted this high?"

PacersHomer
06-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Hansbrough, Plumlee and Hayward if he could have in 2010 ... Maybe Jordans not the worst in picking in the draft.

Except Hayward is actually good.

Evan_The_Dude
06-28-2012, 10:28 PM
I hope we made this pick for somebody else and it just has yet to be announced...

ApNeDtRiEeW
My only reasoning behind this pick is that Bird thinks this guy is TOUGH. After calling us "soft" in the Heat series maybe he thought this was a good way of bringing an edge to this team without fear of off the court issues coming along with it.

Gonna take a break now, my arms getting tired from reaching

Shabazz
I've yet to fins ANYONE whose enthousiastic about this pick... Why didn't we trade down IF we wanted this dude??? I don't get it... AT. ALL.

Absolutely could have gotten him in the middle of the 2nd round.

Justin Tyme
06-28-2012, 10:29 PM
For those wanting a 2nd round pick, you got it in the 1st round. Thanks Bird!

I can't wait until tomorrow to see how the Pacers FO spin this pick. There ain't that much kool-aid they can dispense to cover up this BIRD BUNGLE!

Stuckey7370
This was an article a couple years ago that is kind of interesting.

Two families, two paths to success
The Zellers and Plumlees hail from small-town Indiana, but charted different courses
Originally Published: September 9, 2010
By Pat Forde | ESPN.com

The Zeller and Plumlee families have a lot in common.

An Indiana mailing address. Ghastly grocery bills. Difficulty finding big-and-tall clothes in small hometowns. Roll-your-eyes knowledge of almost every recruiting pitch known to man.

[+] EnlargeMiles Plumlee
AP Photo/Gerry BroomeMiles Plumlee and Tyler Zeller might play for rivals, but their families share a common bond.

They have parents who played the game, and kids who play the game better.

They are tall moms and dads with three gigantic boys each, all growing up at roughly the same time -- more than 41 feet of Division I basketball talent, graduating from high school between 2005 and 2011.

"We're all kind of tall people," said Perky Plumlee, patriarch of half the boys in this story. "There is a genetic component to this that can't be overlooked."

But this isn't a case of being tall and that's all. There is talent to go along with the height. Pretty soon they'll have six full scholarships at elite programs. And the two families have three national championship rings -- with several more years to add to that total.

What they do not have in common are the paths they chose for their children to reach basketball stardom.

The Zellers are heroes in their hometown of Washington, Ind.

The Plumlees are strangers in their hometown of Warsaw, Ind.

When the Zellers and their three young boys were moving to Washington from Minnesota, house shopping was fairly easy. They chose the first home they were shown that had a basketball goal.

Lorri Zeller is 6 feet tall and was a player at Division III Coe College in Iowa. Her brother, Al Eberhard, was a star at Missouri in the 1970s and played several seasons in the NBA. Husband Steve, a plant manager at Perdue Farms, is 6-foot-4 and was a walk-on football player at Iowa State. As a basketball player in high school, he once pulled down 30 rebounds in a game.

Having blessed their children with the genes to be tall, the hoop was mandatory. And the driveway games became legendary.

"Somebody would come home bleeding," Lorri Zeller said.

As the boys grew, Steve would beat on them with a football blocking pad to make scoring difficult. And on a wall in the garage, they marked all their heights. The current measurements: Luke, who played at Notre Dame and last season played professionally in Japan, is 6-10½ and wears a size 18 shoe; Tyler, currently a junior at North Carolina, is 7 feet and wears a 19; and high school senior Cody is between them at about 6-11 while wearing a mere size 16.

Washington -- a town of about 12,000 in the southwest corner of the state -- has been blessed with some fine hoops-playing siblings in its time. But nothing like these three.

When they retire the number at Washington High School, it will be fairly easy. One fits all.

Luke Zeller wore No. 40 when he led the Hatchets to the 2005 Indiana state basketball title -- winning the Class 3A championship game on a fairy-tale shot from near midcourt. Tyler Zeller wore it when he led the school to the 2008 state title. And Cody Zeller, star of this year's state champs, wears it as well.

[+] EnlargeLuke Zeller
AP Photo/AJ MastLuke's miracle 3 in the state title game cemented the Zellers as legends in Washington, Ind.

By next spring they could all have another jersey in common: The Indiana No. 1 uniform worn by the state's Mr. Basketball in the annual all-star series with the state of Kentucky. Luke and Tyler won the award, and Cody will be a leading candidate this season.

That would be unprecedented in Indiana history. In fact, only two other sets of brothers have won the award -- twins Dick and Tom Van Arsdale shared it in 1961 and Billy and David Shepherd took home the honor in 1968 and 1970, respectively.

Washington High has a fairly rich basketball history: The Hatchets won single-class state titles three times between 1929-42, they sent 1979 Mr. Basketball Steve Bouchie to IU to play for Bob Knight, and their gym seats more than 7,000. But in terms of exposure, it's a long way from Indianapolis and other large population centers.

Yet even in these transient youth basketball times, the Zellers say they were never tempted to look elsewhere.

"Indiana is a wonderful place to play high school basketball," Lorri Zeller said. "We wouldn't think of going anywhere else."

When asked what the local reaction would be to transferring elsewhere, Cody smiled.

"I couldn't imagine," he said.

The Plumlees don't have to imagine such a thing. They've lived it.

Perky Plumlee stands 6-7 and played college basketball at Tennessee Tech after growing up in Lafayette, Ind. His wife, Leslie, is 6-1 and played at Purdue. Despite their Indiana ties, there will never be a chance for a Plumlee to be named Mr. Basketball in their home state.

Not after Perky made a decision several years ago that ignited an uproar in basketball-mad Warsaw. He shipped his two oldest boys, Miles and Mason, out of town and out of state -- all the way to Christ School in Arden, N.C.

Perky freely admits this was an athletic-based decision. Miles was a 6-7 junior getting limited playing time on a mediocre Warsaw High team. Same with Mason, a 6-7 freshman. The two boys were making national names for themselves on the AAU circuit, but they couldn't crack coach Doug Ogle's starting lineup.

Some other players left the program around that time, but none caused the ripple of public debate the Plumlees did.

"It was a very public thing," said Perky, a lawyer. "There were certainly people who were very critical of us. They couldn't understand why a family would make that decision. But I don't think our decision impacted anyone other than our family."

Nevertheless, a whole lot of people took sides, many of them writing letters to the local paper, the Warsaw Times-Union. Some thought Perky was an egomaniacal dad who overrated his sons' ability. Others thought the Plumlees were justifiably showing a lack of confidence in Ogle's coaching.

"It was a pretty wild time, to say the least," said Times-Union sports editor Dale Hubler.

It culminated in a real-life scene from "Hoosiers": a packed public meeting at one of the local elementary schools to discuss Ogle's viability as the Warsaw basketball coach. Ogle kept his job and earlier this year led the Tigers to a state runner-up finish in Class 4A.

But the Plumlees have certainly vindicated their decision, difficult as it was.

"Down in our gut we felt like we were making the right choice for them, but it was hard," Perky Plumlee said. "They were with us all the time. You don't just move your children 600 miles on a whim. When we dropped them off, both my wife and I had tears coming down our cheeks."

Miles/Mason Plumlee
AP Photo/David J. PhillipMason (left) and Miles Plumlee already have a national championship at Duke. They'll be joined by younger brother Marshall in 2011.

Miles repeated 11th grade at Christ School to mature physically. With he and Mason both in the lineup -- and growing -- they won state titles two years in a row. Miles signed a letter of intent with Stanford, and Mason verbally committed to Duke.

When Trent Johnson left Stanford for LSU, Miles decommitted and joined Mason in choosing Duke. Not that there needed to be any further validation of taking a scholarship from Mike Krzyzewski, but the brothers got one in April anyway. Standing 6-9¾ (Miles) and 6-10¾ (Mason), they played key roles on a Blue Devils team that won the 2010 national title back home again in Indiana.

And now little brother Marshall -- actually the tallest at 6-11½ -- has joined the family movement from Christ School to Duke. He committed to the Blue Devils in July, before beginning his senior year of high school.

"It's one of the times in your life when you have to make a very selfish decision," Marshall said. "I've struggled with that, because I'm not a very selfish guy."

Back home, the perception of a selfish family is fading.

When Miles and Mason were in Warsaw this summer, they did an autograph session. It was well-attended, spurring many folks to believe that the community of about 14,000 in north-central Indiana can now embrace its absentee sons.

"I wouldn't say the town is going to put up a sign saying, 'Welcome to Warsaw, Home of the Plumlees,'" Hubler said. "But I think people understand now."

Their high school paths have never converged, and they've had to go to Tobacco Road to meet up in college. But the Plumlees and Zellers have gotten together on home soil in the summer over the past couple of years. Cody and Marshall have been teammates on the Indiana Elite AAU team.

That's given their parents plenty of time to compare notes on the joys and challenges of raising six star basketball players.

"It's really enjoyable to visit with them," Lorri Zeller said. "We share our experiences."

When Cody and Marshall took the court in Indianapolis at the beginning of the July recruiting circuit, a who's who of college coaches was watching. Among them: Indiana's Tom Crean, Louisville's Rick Pitino, Illinois' Bruce Weber, Florida's Billy Donovan, Kansas' Bill Self, Ohio State's Thad Matta, California's Mike Montgomery, Butler's Brad Stevens, UCLA's Ben Howland, North Carolina's Roy Williams, West Virginia's Bob Huggins and Krzyzewski. That's a dozen guys with Final Four experience, and five with national championship rings.

On that day, they saw Zeller showcase the versatile arsenal that could make him the best player in his family. (ESPNU's analysts rank him the No. 20 senior prospect nationally.) He started the game with a baseline jump hook, a dunk in transition and a 17-foot jumper from the top of the key. Cody was up 6-0 all by himself.

Marshall didn't show as much, but his best playing days are almost undoubtedly ahead of him. (ESPNU ranks him the No. 42 senior prospect.) At Duke he'll have time to grow into his frame and develop his game.

But Marshall does have one advantage over Cody at this point. He's made his college decision.

The five boys who have made college choices have one thing in common: None has chosen the most accomplished and tradition-rich program in their home state. Indiana is 0-for-5 with the Zellers and Plumlees.

The Hoosiers were not a factor with Luke Zeller, and were up to their pinstripe warm-ups in scandal when Tyler was being recruited. They offered all three Plumlees, but Miles and Mason were not interested because of the fallout from the Kelvin Sampson disaster.

But Marshall seriously considered his offer from Crean, and Zeller is even more serious. He's cut his final three schools to Indiana, Butler and North Carolina.

And if there was pressure on the Plumlees to stay put in high school, you can imagine the pressure on Cody to stay put for college. Especially with fans clamoring for Crean to deliver his biggest in-state signee yet at Indiana.

"I'm the one who has to live with the decision," Cody Zeller said.

The decisions made by the six tall young men from Indiana in recent years have almost uniformly turned out well. But that didn't make them easy. And despite all that the Zeller and Plumlee families have in common, they've taken very different roads to basketball glory.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=5549441&fb_source=message

Reginald
Go ahead and keep minimizing this craptastic pick, PD faithful. But the bottom line is Larry Bird fell in love with yet another non-athletic, over-his-head white guy. This pick is in the Isiah Thomas/Knicks GM zip code of incompetence.

PacersHomer
06-28-2012, 10:31 PM
At least it's not as bad as the Hansbrough pick, but it's the same ****.

BornReady
06-28-2012, 10:31 PM
I'd rather have Draymond Green...

3rdStrike
06-28-2012, 10:32 PM
Nah, McRoberts is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more skilled.

Miles Plumlee is an uncoordinated big man. That is why he couldn't even hold his starting spot at Duke. He isn't even in the same hemisphere as McRoberts. But he has muscles, so the Pacers like him.

Josh McRoberts had a 31.5 in vert. Plumlee has a 40.5 in vert. Not in the same hemisphere, indeed.

cdash
Go ahead and keep minimizing this craptastic pick, PD faithful. But the bottom line is Larry Bird fell in love with yet another non-athletic, over-his-head white guy. This pick is in the Isiah Thomas/Knicks GM zip code of incompetence.

I hate the pick, but Miles Plumlee is actually really athletic.

Mr_Smith
I said it before and I'll say it again.....No Draymond Green??? No Perry Jones III??? thanks Larry

Lance George
06-28-2012, 10:34 PM

You assumed one of the most athletic big men in pre-draft history was nonathletic because he's white?

Shabazz
At least it's not as bad as the Hansbrough pick, but it's the same ****.

You must be smoking rocks.

ApNeDtRiEeW

Un-athletic? Explain please.

06-28-2012, 10:36 PM
Remember folks, a backup center in free agency costs at least three times what Plumlee will cost. This may give us extended flexibility. I must admit, I truly expected us to trade up for a true point guard. However, we will see where this shall lead. Please, don't overpay George Hill!

Shabazz
Josh McRoberts had a 31.5 in vert. Plumlee has a 40.5 in vert. Not in the same hemisphere, indeed.

Yes, we all know Plumlees can jump. This point has been well known by anyone who follows basketball for about 5-6 years now. All three Plumlee brothers are great leapers. The youngest one, a true center, won the McD slam dunk contest and then sat the whole season at the end of Duke's bench.

If jumping high is all you care about, you must be thrilled. But the point still stands than McRoberts is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more skilled than Miles Plumlee.

Reginald
For those paying attention, as far as I could tell on the ESPN ticker no first round draft pick drew over a 10% "F" grade in their insta-polling, save for the Pacers' pick, which came in at over 36%.

#TheHickfromFrenchLickcansuckit

Shabazz
06-28-2012, 10:37 PM
I hate the pick, but Miles Plumlee is actually really athletic.

Yes, all three Plumlee brothers are great at jumping.

That may be why Miles had so many highlight missed dunks last year when he wasn't being called for traveling or fumbling the ball out of bounds.

will567
06-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Our off season is now over! We over pay for the 2 free agents we have that eats all the cap space we have and go into the season with Miles as the biggest addition.

Noodle
06-28-2012, 10:39 PM

Give me a break dude GTFO. Hans and Plum are at least physical and athletic. Yet another genius who thinks white=unathletic.

Pacers4Life
You guys are all being ridiculous. It's not even that bad. Come back tomorrow and at least stake your argument in some sort way that carries any validity besides he sucks.

Psycho T and him together? Do I go to bed dreaming about that? Obviously not.. But I can SEE it. I think we added another piece.. A very cheap one. Who the eff knows how this will end up? No one so just hop on and ENJOY the ride.

cdash
Yes, all three Plumlee brothers are great at jumping.

That may be why Miles had so many highlight missed dunks last year when he wasn't being called for traveling or fumbling the ball out of bounds.

Stop wasting your time. We all hate the pick. Your Duke bashing isn't even needed here. We hate him on our own.

ApNeDtRiEeW
For those paying attention, as far as I could tell on the ESPN ticker no first round draft pick drew over a 10% "F" grade in their insta-polling, save for the Pacers' pick, which came in at over 36%.

Ok, time for bed

DGPR
This has to mean our night is over if we couldn't score a late 2nd round pick for this turd. Larry really screwed the pooch on this one and you can quote me on that.

Merz
06-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Anyone want to talk about Scott Haskin, while we are at it?

PacerPride33
ONE OF THE ABSOLUTE WORST DRAFT PICKS IN THE HISTORY OF THE NBA. MILES IS NOTHING MORE THAN A TALLER HANSBRO AND LOU

cdash
36th pick is ours...

Noodle

Yep, noticed that.

cdash
06-28-2012, 10:42 PM
Draymond Green, come on down!

cdash
06-28-2012, 10:42 PM
Never mind, he's going to Golden State. Sorry I'm ruining these.

Noodle
06-28-2012, 10:43 PM
You guys are all being ridiculous. It's not even that bad. Come back tomorrow and at least stake your argument in some sort way that carries any validity besides he sucks.

Psycho T and him together? Do I go to bed dreaming about that? Obviously not.. But I can SEE it. I think we added another piece.. A very cheap one. Who the eff knows how this will end up? No one so just hop on and ENJOY the ride.

I'll try, but I don't want the kool-aid. I'm drunk on the hater-aid at the moment.

cdash
Hopefully, we traded Miles Plumlee for the 36th pick.

Shabazz
Stop wasting your time. We all hate the pick. Your Duke bashing isn't even needed here. We hate him on our own.

That's not even Duke bashing. That is the honest truth based on watching the kid play the majority of the games he played in college.

Repeatedly the Plumlee brothers would attempt highlight dunks when easy dunks or layups would do. It resulted in some spectacular misses. But Mason at least was skilled enough to make his moves without turning the ball over. Mason Plumlee is a legit 1st rounder. Miles has bad hands, bad footwork, and I can't believe someone drafted him in the first round.

Noodle
Hopefully, we traded Miles Plumlee for the 36th pick.

**** me, hope so.

Swingman
06-28-2012, 10:44 PM
We drafted Miles Plumlee for New Orleans who will trade Gordon for him straight up.

pacer4ever
36th pick is ours...

Link?? If this is true why the **** didn't we trade 26 for picks instead of drafting a bum? Could of had Will Barton or Johnson and Plumlee does Bird have any sense of value. No one was gonna draft Plumlee.

3rdStrike
If jumping high is all you care about, you must be thrilled. But the point still stands than McRoberts is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more skilled than Miles Plumlee.

For a backup center who is 7 feet tall the ability to jump higher than TMac in his prime is a very important thing to me, yes. We're not talking about a starter. Rebounds, defense and the ability to finish an alley / wide open dunk is all I want. Anything else is a bonus.

You guys need to realize the Pacers were nowhere near bad enough to have a chance at an impact player who didn't have serious medical risk.

Speed
06-28-2012, 10:45 PM
36th pick is ours...

What?

Lance George
Do we really have the 36th pick?

PacersForever
What are you guys talking about. Bird and Vogel were talking about how much they like him ..........

Shabazz
06-28-2012, 10:46 PM
ONE OF THE ABSOLUTE WORST DRAFT PICKS IN THE HISTORY OF THE NBA. MILES IS NOTHING MORE THAN A TALLER HANSBRO AND LOU

Miles can't shoot. He has terrible footwork. He has trouble catching the ball cleanly. When he got to the FT line, he shot 63%. He only averaged 20 minutes a game his senior year.

The only things he has in common with Hansbrough are being white and being strong.

Speed
06-28-2012, 10:49 PM
Doron Lamb, Quincy Miller available, i hope the pacers got 36

Shabazz
What are you guys talking about. Bird and Vogel were talking about how much they like him ..........

He must have really wowed them in his 20 minutes a game as a part time starter his senior year.

cdash
Sorry for posting all that stuff in this thread, I thought it was the draft thread. But yeah, 36th pick and Orlando Johnson is ours.

Heisenberg
06-28-2012, 10:50 PM
I feel bad for the ticket reps

BRushWithDeath
06-28-2012, 10:51 PM
The only things he has in common with Hansbrough are being white and being strong.

And being terrible, horrible, no good, very bad draft picks.

Speed
06-28-2012, 10:51 PM
He's not even the best Plumlee, is he?

Heisenberg
06-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Not even close.

BRushWithDeath
06-28-2012, 10:53 PM

Well, no. But he'd get the bronze.

Shabazz
06-28-2012, 10:55 PM

He is in fact the worst Plumlee.

Mason, the middle Plumlee, is the best. Had he come out he would have been in the teens somewhere.

Marshall, the youngest Plumlee, is the only true center out of the group. His post skills are about where big brother Miles currently are... meaning they are very raw. But he's only 18 or 19. He won the McD all star slam dunk contest last year. He redshirted at Duke this past season.

Noodle
06-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Sorry for posting all that stuff in this thread, I thought it was the draft thread. But yeah, 36th pick and Orlando Johnson is ours.

Sure about that?

Wage
06-28-2012, 10:59 PM
This place is funny.

cdash
06-28-2012, 10:59 PM
Sure about that?

Pretty darn.

rm1369
06-28-2012, 11:02 PM
Bird just solved our backup center problem! Just like he solved the backup PF spot with the Hans pick. Guy is a ****ing genius! That's your EOY in action. I keep wanting to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he keeps doing the same ****. PJIII will be this years Holiday.

PacersHomer
I feel bad for the ticket reps

We weren't going to use the #26 pick to sell tickets.

eldubious
The only positive I see with Plumlee is Josh Harrelson, a better pro than college player.

MiaDragon
06-28-2012, 11:03 PM
For a backup center who is 7 feet tall the ability to jump higher than TMac in his prime is a very important thing to me, yes. We're not talking about a starter. Rebounds, defense and the ability to finish an alley / wide open dunk is all I want. Anything else is a bonus.

You guys need to realize the Pacers were nowhere near bad enough to have a chance at an impact player who didn't have serious medical risk.

I love his vert too, it will look great on the end of the bench until his rook contract runs out and he finds himself out of the NBA. You CAN NOT blow the draft as a small market team, its a death sentence. We just did that.

ReginaldWayne
06-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Its a death sentance? Is it possible to be more dramatic?

Heisenberg
06-28-2012, 11:04 PM
We weren't going to use the #26 pick to sell tickets.

Right, but it sure as hell doesn't help when the pick's Plumlee

Noodle
06-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Pretty darn.

I bow to your knowledge. LOL

Karlton
06-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Pretty darn.

Good call.

Just announced on ESPN.

Orlando Johnson for cash.

MiaDragon
06-28-2012, 11:08 PM
Its a death sentance? Is it possible to be more dramatic?

its really bad, is that better/

Shabazz
06-28-2012, 11:08 PM
The only positive I see with Plumlee is Josh Harrelson, a better pro than college player.

Harrellson had to deal with coaching changes and didn't really get a chance to shine until his senior year. UK simply had higher rated bigs on their roster for most of his career. When UK had no other true bigs, they turned to him and he showed what he could do.

Miles Plumlee on the other hand was given a chance to play in all of his seasons at Duke. Very little chance he suddenly surprises people the way Harrellson did.

Shade
06-28-2012, 11:11 PM
I think it's kind of funny that nobody has heard of Plumlee and he's from Fort Wayne.

Basketball Fan
06-28-2012, 11:11 PM
All I really know about the Plumlees is that they were born in my hometown.

Otherwise yeah I don't like this pick either but I admit I like the actually show(excitement of the draft picks etc) than the draft selections I've seen thus far go figure.

cdash
06-28-2012, 11:13 PM
I think it's kind of funny that nobody has heard of Plumlee and he's from Fort Wayne.

Who hasn't heard of the guy? We all know who he is from what I have seen. And we all know he isn't any good.

Sandman21
06-28-2012, 11:14 PM
I was listening to ESPN Radio's coverage of the draft and they had Pritchard on. He talked about Plumlee's workout and mentioned that Jeff Foster LOVED his game.

If he's good enough for Foster, then he's good enough for me.

iogyhufi
06-28-2012, 11:14 PM

Ironic, because I think he's from Warsaw, actually.

MiaDragon
06-28-2012, 11:16 PM
I was listening to ESPN Radio's coverage of the draft and they had Pritchard on. He talked about Plumlee's workout and mentioned that Jeff Foster LOVED his game.

Wonder if Jeff watched much film on him......

cdash
06-28-2012, 11:17 PM

If in his first five minutes of NBA action he lays a star player out when he drives to the hoop, I will be happy.

Shabazz
06-28-2012, 11:17 PM
All I really know about the Plumlees is that they were born in my hometown.

They attended a prep school in North Carolina that is known for getting players exposure and div 1 scholarships. That is why they didn't get a lot of coverage back home. They spent their high school careers down south.

Miles was originally committed to a Pac 10 school. When Mason committed to Duke, Miles used a coaching change to back out of his commitment and also committed to Duke.

Mr_Smith
06-28-2012, 11:22 PM
I would rather the pacers draft Scott Haskin again because this is what this feels like

PacerPenguins
06-28-2012, 11:26 PM
dont yell at me... but I'm starting to lighten up to the fact that we drafted this guy... the more and more i look at highlights ect. the more i like him being a backup center on our team.

Slick Pinkham
06-28-2012, 11:29 PM
How many 4 year college players who peaked out at 6 points per game have succeeded in the NBA? I am guessing ZERO.

Heisenberg
06-28-2012, 11:30 PM
I'm just hoping he becomes a goon

Slick Pinkham
06-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Maybe Hummel goes undrafted? would be a decent UDFA

Anthem
I can't imagine anybody picked at #26 was going to be much of a difference-maker for us this year. In a couple seasons, maybe. But this year? You're hanging your hopes on the last 5 picks in the first round?

Noodle

This does make me feel better, BUT Jeff gave his team 14 and 11 in Texas State, not 6 and 7. Plumlee is a really good rebounder. Yes, possibly better than Lou. I will chill for now that we have a guy I like in Orlando Johnson. I will pass judgement after watching this years summer league. This dude better own the glass in Orlando. Mainly due to the fact I view his skill set to that of a typical summer league hopeful.

Heisenberg
06-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Maybe Hummel goes undrafted? would be a decent UDFA
Looking like it. Love to at least get him in camp.

pacersgroningen
06-28-2012, 11:36 PM
Really, this was what the pacers did? I am a fan, but oh my gosh, I know I am a fan and so on, but..... the pacers would've been better off drafting me. And no, no green font is intended. Let Euro scouts decide what they think of that... but if Miles Plumlee goes in the first freaking round, there might still be a future for me out there! I am no guru, but pffff oh boy!

Basketball Fan
06-28-2012, 11:36 PM
Ironic, because I think he's from Warsaw, actually.

Born in Warsaw but moved to Fort Wayne although lets face most people from Warsaw align themselves with either Fort Wayne or South Bend.

The only famous person to ever acknowledge Warsaw publically was Rick Fox when he went to the local HS here for the last two years of his HS career then of course went to North Carolina rest is history.

Slick Pinkham
06-28-2012, 11:38 PM
Machado would also be interesting as an UDFA

Cubs231721
06-28-2012, 11:42 PM
I'm not a fan of the pick, but I am at least somewhat intrigued by it. He clearly has an NBA body with NBA athleticism. He just hasn't learned how to use it properly. He has encouraging jumps from his junior to senior year. It is nice to see his rebounding, points, and FG percentage make notable gains while the fouls went slightly down. So he improved then, and of course he has been apparently very impressive in workouts.

Plumlee doesn't have elite upside, and he has a pretty big question mark attached to to his ability to hit the upside he has. I don't think they needed to pick somebody at 26 with that sort of combination. But he does have potential to be a pretty good player, and hopefully the coaching staff has seen something that makes them think he'll use more of his physical skills in the pros than he did in college. If nothing else, he should be a pretty solid rebounder, which was a problem for the Pacers on their 2nd unit last year. Hopefully he doesn't give away too many other skills in exchange for filling that particular need.

D-BONE
06-28-2012, 11:46 PM
Booooooooooooooorring!

Best case -11th man

Disaapointing

IUfan4life
06-28-2012, 11:46 PM
You better believe I'm taking a shot for everyone one of those 6 points and 7 rebounds per game.

ilive4sports
06-28-2012, 11:48 PM
This does make me feel better, BUT Jeff gave his team 14 and 11 in Texas State, not 6 and 7. Plumlee is a really good rebounder. Yes, possibly better than Lou. I will chill for now that we have a guy I like in Orlando Johnson. I will pass judgement after watching this years summer league. This dude better own the glass in Orlando. Mainly due to the fact I view his skill set to that of a typical summer league hopeful.
Jeff also played at Texas State while Plumlee played at Duke

pacer4ever
06-28-2012, 11:48 PM
Hummel good pick they really need more. Shooting

rel
06-28-2012, 11:51 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bqVO2FfUUBE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was pretty pissed but whatever. All I know is Plumlee is a Pacer now and time to root for the guy. Do work! Prove me wrong.

BornReady
06-28-2012, 11:53 PM
man pacers are really trying hard to make fans happy about this pick aren't they

BornReady#6
06-28-2012, 11:57 PM
NBA.com makes him sound like Jeff Foster 2.0 here (http://www.nba.com/draft/2012/prospects/miles-plumlee/?ls=iref:dt2012) which if pans out this way I would happily used a 26th pick.

NBA projection: Plumlee should be chosen in the second round. And if he gets a chance, he’ll earn a roster spot and be a serviceable reserve big man for a decade.

I like everyone was super pissed, but now am back down to majorly disappointed, but we should shove that aside and take it for what it is, and keep on pushing forward. This move makes it sound like we will get Roy back and the following isnt a bad team esp. in the east next year

We should give Machado a chance also.

Noodle
06-28-2012, 11:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfHjNGSHM-o

Go watch a few other draft workouts. This guys actually has better feet and handles than many guys that play skill positions. Maybe we shouldn't judge by stats. I will officially give him a chance. Amazingly fluid movements for a guy with his size and strength. He could fit nicely as a backup, which is what he was drafted to be. I am much more comfortable after seeing this.

Noodle
06-29-2012, 12:00 AM
Jeff also played at Texas State while Plumlee played at Duke

Yeah yeah yeah

Nuntius
06-29-2012, 12:05 AM
A lot of people were highlighting the need for an athletic and "full-sized" frontcourt player. So, we drafted one. And now most people are disgusted.

I guess that some people cannot be pleased no matter what one does.

Anyway, I can understand why people are frustrated about this pick. I prefered Draymond Green because we need someone who can pass the ball. Also, the drafting of Plumlee probably means that Fesenko will not be resigned. And that would make me quite sad :(

However, I don't find it fair to kill the guy before we even see him play. I don't think that judging someone prematurely make sense.

Ultimately, I just wish that people would calm down.

Pacersalltheway10
06-29-2012, 12:07 AM
The pick was puzzling but if Plumlee puts in hard work then he's fine by me. I wish the 2 newest Pacers the best of luck. I'm actually starting to like Plumlee for some reason.

indyman37
06-29-2012, 12:07 AM
Can we get a Tbird analysis of Mike Plumlee please?

Bball
06-29-2012, 12:08 AM
Honestly, with the front office dysfunction and return of Walsh I've lost much interest in the team or next season these past few days. With a "meh" draft pick at #26 and no trading up I wasn't exactly excited for #26 anyway. But to see some players fall to us that might've had some risk attached, but with the potential of high reward, and yet pass on them for a pedestrian pick that in all likelihood could've been duplicated with a similar player thru the waiver wire... color me "blah".

BornReady#6
06-29-2012, 12:08 AM
The pick was puzzling but if Plumlee puts in hard work then he's fine by me. I wish the 2 newest Pacers the best of luck. I'm actually starting to like Plumlee for some reason.

Prolly your beer goggles

Jrod Jones
06-29-2012, 12:09 AM
A little bit of analysis from ESPN:

Part of what is driving the interest is Plumlee's physical abilities. He measured with a 41-inch vertical in the Minnesota workouts.

I've been collecting pre-draft athletic testing numbers since 2001. The tallest player ever to hit 41 inches or higher was Jamario Moon (at 6-7 3/4). Plumlee measured 6-11 1/4 in Minnesota.

The highest a player 6-11 or taller has ever jumped in the testing is 38 1/2 inches by Steven Hunter back in 2001.

Clearly your vertical jump doesn't determine whether you'll be a great NBA player. But factor in Plumlee's size, NBA body and toughness on the boards and a number of GMs are convinced he could be an athletic rebounder and shot blocker off the bench for them in the mold of Jeff Foster.

Hypnotiq
06-29-2012, 12:09 AM
A lot of people were highlighting the need for an athletic and "full-sized" frontcourt player. So, we drafted one. And now most people are disgusted.

I guess that some people cannot be pleased no matter what one does.

Anyway, I can understand why people are frustrated about this pick. I prefered Draymond Green because we need someone who can pass the ball. Also, the drafting of Plumlee probably means that Fesenko will not be resigned. And that would make me quite sad :(

However, I don't find it fair to kill the guy before we even see him play. I don't think that judging someone prematurely make sense.

Ultimately, I just wish that people would calm down.

I dont think it has anything to do with this its the fact there were better players on the board when we had to draft

thats why people are pissed off

pacer4ever
06-29-2012, 12:10 AM
Can we get a Tbird analysis of Mike Plumlee please?

It will say he is an awful basketball player.

Mourning
06-29-2012, 12:12 AM
I dont think it has anything to do with this its the fact there were better players on the board when we had to draft

+1. It's not strange to assume we would have been able to pick Plumlee with that #36 we bought from the Kings.

HC
06-29-2012, 12:14 AM
Most are upset about the pick, but at the end of the day I just want him to prove all of us wrong. That is the best we can hope for, and I'll embrace him if he does prove us wrong.

PacerPenguins
06-29-2012, 12:14 AM

same here

Nuntius
06-29-2012, 12:19 AM

Have we seen any of those better players play in the NBA? Are we sure that they are going to translate to the NBA? No. We're just making guesses. Making guesses is good as all people should be allowed to voice their opinions. But should we panic based on those guesses?

Edit: To make my point perfectly clear. We cannot be sure which player turns out to be better. Tyler Hansbrough was amazing in college. He didn't translate that well in the NBA (I still like the guy, though). What we can be sure is what said player can offer to our team. Draymond Green would improve our horrible passing in the second unit. Personally, I'd prefer it. But that's just a matter of preference.

Miles Plumlee is big and athletic. He'll be our defensive anchor in the second unit. If he can establish some post game and be a post option then all the better. I'm not ecstatic about the pick but I'm not going to jump off a bridge either. Give him time first.

Noodle
06-29-2012, 12:19 AM
+1. It's not strange to assume we would have been able to pick Plumlee with that #36 we bought from the Kings.

Isn't that all relative though? It seems that the FO wanted both and got them. How does it change the outcome? I'm not that angry that Plumlee will earn slightly more than Johnson because that is the only difference. Unless of course you are a strong advocate for Johnson earning more than Plums.

Slick Pinkham
06-29-2012, 12:20 AM
The 41-inch vertical is impressive. How did it help him at Duke? <1 blocked shot per game from the best jumping C in a generation? Doesn't that indicate that athleticism does not equal results in a no-step high jump drill?

If a shot goes up, who gets the rebound? That's the real world drill. I doubt our new "poor man's Granville Waiters" would get it, based upon what I have seen at Duke.

Mourning
06-29-2012, 12:22 AM

I too wish the both of them the best of luck and hope they pan out, BUT I'm not NEARLY there with regards to liking the Plumlee pick. He seriously needs to prove something starting with Summerleague. I mean 6pts, 7rpg and almost no blocks for a 7ft player who was a senior and as a 24 year old? We will have to see, but I'm not going to be "happy" and fluffy with the pick now all of a sudden. He needs to prove me and a lot of people wrong and the sooner the better.

jeffg-body
06-29-2012, 12:25 AM
I don't understand all of the Plumlee hate going on. We needed a big and Plumlee fit the bill perfectly. I think this kid will grow into a nice player for the second unit and expect him to have a descent career. Kid kind of reminds me of McBob's athletic ability with a better shot. I was puzzled as most of us were, but the guy is a Pacer now and we should embrace him. I don't know what everyone expected with the 26th pick, but a solid 2nd unit guy is a pretty good pick-up to me.

Mourning
06-29-2012, 12:28 AM
Isn't that all relative though? It seems that the FO wanted both and got them. How does it change the outcome? I'm not that angry that Plumlee will earn slightly more than Johnson because that is the only difference. Unless of course you are a strong advocate for Johnson earning more than Plums.

I am not a fan of giving him a guaranteed contract and I think there were better players available, but what I really meant was that there were IMHO (and looking over the internet I'm far from the only one) better players left and that we could have gotten those and then STILL get Plumlee in the second round.

Nuntius
06-29-2012, 12:29 AM
I don't know what everyone expected with the 26th pick, but a solid 2nd unit guy is a pretty good pick-up to me.

Most here expected PJ3. Which is why a lot of them got angry when the FO didn't not take the risk on him. People largely prefer risky picks to safer ones. Especially, outside of the lottery.

Trophy
06-29-2012, 12:29 AM
I look forward to Orlando Johnson a lot more.

CableKC
06-29-2012, 12:31 AM
I'm going to consider Orlando Johnson our 26th pick and that we bought the rights to Plumlee in the 2nd round That way, I can feel a lot better about this draft night.

Heisenberg
06-29-2012, 12:31 AM
Most here expected PJ3. Which is why a lot of them got angry when the FO didn't not take the risk on him. People largely prefer risky picks to safer ones. Especially, outside of the lottery.

I honestly don't think PJ3 was even on our board.

Nuntius
06-29-2012, 12:35 AM
I honestly don't think PJ3 was even on our board.

I have not heard anything about him prior to the draft so chances are that he wasn't. However, that didn't stop people from wishing that we would draft him ;)

TMJ31
06-29-2012, 12:38 AM
We got 2 players that fit needs we had coming into the draft.

The shoulda-woulda-coulda's will continue until the season starts, and long afterwards no doubt...

I am happy with the players we have. Neither of them seem like stuck up morons, and they can both play basketball in positions of need.

Hypnotiq
06-29-2012, 12:38 AM
PJ3 has a much higher ceiling that Plumlee ever will

Shabazz
06-29-2012, 12:42 AM
You better believe I'm taking a shot for everyone one of those 6 points and 7 rebounds per game.

:laugh:

Frostwolf
06-29-2012, 12:42 AM

thank you for your infinite wisdom

Nuntius
06-29-2012, 12:43 AM

And?

Does one's ceiling dictate what kind of an NBA career a player will have?

Mourning
06-29-2012, 12:44 AM
I didn't think we would take PJIII, but there were several other players that I felt were better. In the first round where you dish out guaranteed contracts I want us to select the best player available and not the player that fills a need, you do that in the second round and cut them lose if they aren't what you expected them to be.

Some of you are sounding like you would have been happy with whoever we would have picked at #26 even if it's Eddie Gills grandfather, just because it's the Pacers making the pick.

Nuntius
06-29-2012, 12:46 AM
In the first round where you dish out guaranteed contracts I want us to select the best player available and not the player that fills a need, you do that in the second round and cut them lose if they aren't what you expected them to be.

The problem with this is that BPA is completely subjective.

Shabazz
Clearly your vertical jump doesn't determine whether you'll be a great NBA player. But factor in Plumlee's size, NBA body and toughness on the boards and a number of GMs are convinced he could be an athletic rebounder and shot blocker off the bench for them in the mold of Jeff Foster.

This is the problem. Looking at combine numbers and assuming that a guy is tough. This guy isn't tough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR-AO_KA5sM

Maybe you can inject him with PCP before games or something.

That would at least make him tougher. He'll never be a shotblocker if his amazing vertical couldn't get him more blocks per game against small college kids.

Slick Pinkham
I hope I am wrong, but I have a feeling that a better undrafted free agent player will have to be cut in camp, since Miles will have a guaranteed contract.

Mourning
06-29-2012, 12:48 AM
The problem with this is that BPA is completely subjective.

I think it's pretty safe to say that NO ONE thought Plumlee was the best player available. Personally I don't even think the Pacers thought that, but wanted to fill a need badly.

tadscout
06-29-2012, 12:49 AM
Roy Hibbert @Hoya2aPacer
I don't know why people are so mad about Miles. I saw his workout he killed. He's gonna b good for the pacers.

Heisenberg
06-29-2012, 12:50 AM
I think it's pretty safe to say that NO ONE thought Plumlee was the best player available. Personally I don't even think the Pacers thought that, but wanted to fill a need badly.Well they at least thought he was the best at the backup 5 because they passed on Festus Ezili.

Mourning
06-29-2012, 12:53 AM
Well they at least thought he was the best at the backup 5 because they passed on Festus Ezili.

Hey, he might have been the best available backup 5 at #26, but that definitely doesn't make him the best player available.

Heisenberg
06-29-2012, 12:55 AM
Hey, he might have been the best available backup 5 at #26, but that definitely doesn't make him the best player available.Right, but I'm saying if they were going to fill a need, they took what they felt was the BPA at that need

Nuntius
06-29-2012, 12:57 AM
I think it's pretty safe to say that NO ONE thought Plumlee was the best player available. Personally I don't even think the Pacers thought that, but wanted to fill a need badly.

I can certainly agree with this. But if Miles played as the best player in the workouts as those sources are saying then I cannot blame the FO for picking him.

Wage
06-29-2012, 12:58 AM

The problem is (and this happens every single year when someone does not like the pick) that the people frothing at the mouth over this pick are going to list 4 or 5 guys that were "obviously" better choices. Then 2 years down the road, when 1 of those guys is putting up decent numbers and the rest are out of league or on their way out, they are going to tell you how smart they are as they point back to the one good player.

Shabazz
06-29-2012, 12:59 AM
Kid kind of reminds me of McBob's athletic ability with a better shot.

Where on earth did you get the idea that Miles Plumlee has a better shot than McRoberts. Miles can't shoot. When has Miles ever shown he can shoot in a game?

Duke actually encourages their big men to shoot if they possess the ability. Ryan Kelly has the green light to hoist up as many 3's as he wants. There is a reason that Miles only attempted a handful of jumpers last year. It was because he bricked them all.

Shabazz
06-29-2012, 01:02 AM
Roy Hibbert @Hoya2aPacer
I don't know why people are so mad about Miles. I saw his workout he killed. He's gonna b good for the pacers.

LOL, you'll notice he didn't say "I saw him play at Duke, he's going to be good for the pacers."

That's great Roy. Maybe the NBA will institute a rule that eliminates all actual games, and the NBA title will be given to the team who works out the best.

rel
06-29-2012, 01:07 AM
Roy Hibbert @Hoya2aPacer

not gonna lie...i squirmed a tad when i read 'pacers' and not 'us'
#overanalyzing :P

bunt
06-29-2012, 01:07 AM
I hope I am wrong, but I have a feeling that a better undrafted free agent player will have to be cut in camp, since Miles will have a guaranteed contract.

Why doesn't everyone take a breath, go back a page or two of threads, and re-read Chad Ford's draft tiers. And re-read how he comes up with those tiers.

No, the Pacers didn't draft their answer to Lebron, Durant, or any other superstar. They continued to add pieces to the team. They weren't going to be able to make a move to put them over the top tonight. It's a process, the team isn't set in stone for the next 5 years from this day forward.

Edit: Here you go:http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?73260-Chad-Ford-s-draft-tiers

And seriously, now we're complaining because we could have signed Kwame Brown or Sheldon Williams instead?? Common people, relax.

pacer4ever
06-29-2012, 01:08 AM
Even miles was shocked in his interview he said as much from undrafted a month ago 2 a first rd pick wow. He said if you go off his games he didn't deserve it but he killed it in the pacers workout dunked on everyone. WTF I just don't get it like what OJ will bring but not digging this at all. Should of just signed Kwame Brown or Sheldon Williams or Ian Maimi (sp). Could get his skills for vet min.

PacersHomer
06-29-2012, 01:08 AM
not gonna lie...i squirmed a tad when i read 'pacers' and not 'us'
#overanalyzing :P

Who cares? He's a restricted free agent.

Brad8888
06-29-2012, 01:10 AM
I only saw the Plumlees when they got off the bench when Butler played Duke. Both were impressive in my book due to their high motors and athleticism, and had either of them played for Butler I suspect the Bulldogs would have had at least one championship banner hanging in Hinkle Fieldhouse.

My guess is that the primary role for Plumlee will be to be the enforcer that the Pacers simply don't have with Tyler being the closest thing to that currently. West is getting a little old for that role, and is overall too important to need to be that. Now that Jeff has retired, he can mentor Plumlee and teach him the agressiveness and the keys to being quick to the ball that he needs to be successful.

So, I like the pick despite other better players who would never have seen the floor having been available.

:wolf:

Heisenberg
06-29-2012, 01:13 AM
I hate the pick.

I also hated drafting that big stiff from Georgetown named Hibbert.

Shabazz
06-29-2012, 01:21 AM
I hate the pick.

Hibbert averaged 7.4 more points per game and 1.3 more blocks per game his senior year compared to Miles Plumlee. He played 6 more mins per game than Miles.

Heisenberg
06-29-2012, 01:25 AM
Hibbert averaged 7.4 more points per game and 1.3 more blocks per game his senior year compared to Miles Plumlee. He played 6 more mins per game than Miles.

Dude, give it a rest. We get it, he went to Dook and you're a Carolina fan. I wasn't comparing the two. I was saying I hated drafting Hibbert and thought he'd suck and obviously that was wrong so it's not like my opinion means all that much.

Slick Pinkham
06-29-2012, 01:26 AM
No, the Pacers didn't draft their answer to Lebron, Durant, or any other superstar. They continued to add pieces to the team.

They drafted a far far less talented player than Solomon Jones to the team, though I would love to be wrong. I have not been able to find a less productive college player who suited up for the Pacers as part of their rotation. Not Granville Waiters, Greg Dreiling, Stuart Grey, Solly, or any of the worst stiffs imaginable.
Maybe you could extend it even to summer league rosters. He was a worse collegian than Todd Lindemann!

judicata
06-29-2012, 01:32 AM
I've watched a lot of games Miles played, and I just don't get it. Even if he has stellar athleticism, he was never able to use it in a manner where it was apparent on the court. I literally thought he had an awful vertical because I've never seen him play above the rim. I've also never seen him take over a game, or even look like a legitimate threat on either end of the court. I have trouble remembering any of his plays or any game where he was in the zone.

I've seen flashes from his brother, Mason. If this were Mason, I'd get it. This ain't Mason. I'm pretty sure he didn't start all games his Senior year. When Ryan Kelly is putting you on the bench your senior year, you are not an NBA player.

I understand that Duke does not feature their bigs and that you can't look at the box score and evaluate the skills of their 4/5 players. But this guy fails the stat test and the eye test. And the winner test.

That said, the milk has done been spilt. He does have an NBA body and athleticism, and he seems like a great kid with his head in the right place. He'll be hungry, and he might surprise us all.

bunt
06-29-2012, 01:43 AM
They drafted a far far less talented player than Solomon Jones to the team, though I would love to be wrong. I have not been able to find a less productive college player who suited up for the Pacers as part of their rotation. Not Granville Waiters, Greg Dreiling, Stuart Grey, Solly, or any of the worst stiffs imaginable.
Maybe you could extend it even to summer league rosters. He was a worse collegian than Todd Lindemann!

Hey buddy, try Greg Stiemsma. I had to go back a whole year to find someone with worse college stats that made an impact in the NBA. Shocking.

johndozark
06-29-2012, 01:46 AM
I was intrigued with Miles Plumlee after reading several articles about his workouts.

I think I remember some theorizing in a couple of those articles that Duke's style of play was a poor fit for him.

He seems like a high character, hard-working player with impressive physical gifts.

I think we should expect some adjustment time as he shifts to a different style of play, but I believe that we will end up pleased.

And, thanks, Roy, for weighing in.

Slick Pinkham
06-29-2012, 01:50 AM
Hey buddy, try Greg Stiemsma. I had to go back a whole year to find someone with worse college stats that made an impact in the NBA. Shocking.

11.5, 9.9, 11.7 ppg for Steimsma

6.6, 4.8, 5.2 ppg for Stifflee

I also kinda missed Steimsma playing for the Pacers

I have not been able to find a less productive college player who suited up for the Pacers as part of their rotation.

Wage
06-29-2012, 01:57 AM
I've watched a lot of games Miles played, and I just don't get it. Even if he has stellar athleticism, he was never able to use it in a manner where it was apparent on the court. I literally thought he had an awful vertical because I've never seen him play above the rim. I've also never seen him take over a game, or even look like a legitimate threat on either end of the court. I have trouble remembering any of his plays or any game where he was in the zone.

I've seen flashes from his brother, Mason. If this were Mason, I'd get it. This ain't Mason. I'm pretty sure he didn't start all games his Senior year. When Ryan Kelly is putting you on the bench your senior year, you are not an NBA player.

I understand that Duke does not feature their bigs and that you can't look at the box score and evaluate the skills of their 4/5 players. But this guy fails the stat test and the eye test. And the winner test.

That said, the milk has done been spilt. He does have an NBA body and athleticism, and he seems like a great kid with his head in the right place. He'll be hungry, and he might surprise us all.

If more people who hate the pick posted as rationally as this, actual conversations could take place.

bunt
06-29-2012, 02:00 AM
11.5, 9.9, 11.7 ppg for Steimsma

6.6, 4.8, 5.2 ppg for Stifflee

I also kinda missed Steimsma playing for the Pacers

I think you might want to check his stats again. As far as I can see, he never averaged more than 3.5 points or 3.1 rebounds at Wisconsin. And why are we limiting his potential value or production or lack thereof against only ex-Pacers? For you and others pointing to stats as the deciding factor of his career, I'm simply pointing out alternative possibilities that do in fact exist by comparing him to recent similar players.

CableKC
06-29-2012, 02:07 AM
My guess is that the primary role for Plumlee will be to be the enforcer that the Pacers simply don't have with Tyler being the closest thing to that currently. West is getting a little old for that role, and is overall too important to need to be that. Now that Jeff has retired, he can mentor Plumlee and teach him the agressiveness and the keys to being quick to the ball that he needs to be successful.

So, I like the pick despite other better players who would never have seen the floor having been available.

:wolf:
I'm slowly coming to this conclusion....or at the very least, I'm trying to convince myself of this. Miles is a role player with 1 single skill that should carry over and translate into the NBA....offensive rebounding....something that we all know that this Team needs when Hibbert rests. Bird wanted a Foster-like Player in the lineup to play in the frontcourt....and he got one.

Slick Pinkham
06-29-2012, 02:09 AM
My mistake, I was misreading Steimsma's UW stats and gave minutes per game, not ppg. Oddly, he hardly played at UW. He did turn out to be a good undrafted free agent.

Miles Stifflee would have been a good late 2nd rounder. Oh well. I hope he improves his on-court performance, if he makes the roster on merit.

AesopRockOn
06-29-2012, 02:11 AM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/22691345.jpg

Taterhead
06-29-2012, 02:32 AM
Normally I would be livid with a move like this. But I think Plumlee actually has some tools that give him a chance to turn into a very good niche player, and almost immediately.

1. His combination of pure size/vertical leap is extraordinary. It is significantly better than any other man his size, ever. And that makes him pretty unique. It might seem insignificant because it is just a vertical jump, but it is most definitely a tool he can use to succeed in several areas of the pro game, like rebounding and interior defense. There is a reason these guys get tested on these things, they are important, even though they definitely aren't the end all be all. He will be able to get up with anybody. Whether or not he has the heart to challenge the NBA's best at the rim is another story. We'll see.

2. His lack of polish offensively is really not that abnormal, or even a huge concern. Most bigs coming into the league are very raw offensively. All I know is his workout apparently answered some of those concerns, so it might even be over stated to begin with. His shooting stroke doesn't look bad to me, and he has range on it. His ball handling actually looked very good for a big man from what I saw, so he has dribble drive potential off the jump shot. He also looked like a pretty good athlete for a guy that size. Whether or not he has the drive to become a knock down jump shooter from 18 feet is any ones guess.

3. He is also a very good rebounder, and we definitely need guys who can rebound the ball. We also need his size. We are a small team when you take away Roy Hibbert. And we always struggle to rebound the ball when Big Roy isn't out there. I think Plumlee could be a good start in becoming a better rebounding team, and that will go a long way if this team is really gonna contend for a title someday. Whether or not he has the toughness to win that battle in the NBA is something we won't know until he does it, or doesn't.

We needed a guard who can score off the bench and an athletic big man and I would say we got two descent candidates. Honestly Plumlee wasn't even on my radar for us and I hadn't put much thought into him as a potential NBA player either. But if I'm sitting at the bottom of round 1 all I am looking for is a guy who can add a unique skill to the team. And Plumlee might be our most athletic big man the day he steps on the court for us. And Johnson can really shoot the ball, which we also struggle with at times. So I am satisfied.

We still need another G, and we need a good one like Gordon IMO, even if it costs us Granger. And I would still like to upgrade Hansbrough's spot as well.

Exactly, Stiemsma played well for Boston at times last year and definitely helped them. The NBA is a totally different game than college. Just ask Tyler Hansbrough.

Heisenberg
06-29-2012, 02:40 AM
I think the biggest asset Plumlee immediately brings is that he actually knows how to set a damn screen. None of that Hansbrough sprint to the hoop just before the defender makes any contact crap.

PR07
06-29-2012, 02:48 AM
Can't say I saw this one coming.

Having seen Plumlee play at Duke quite a few times, he never really stood out at me...not as a first round pick...not as a freak athlete. He was an okay player, but certainly not anyone I would think twice about considering some of the other talents on that team. While it is true that Duke doesn't typically feature its big man unless you're a tough interior rugged type like a Shelden Williams, Carlos Boozer, or Elton Brand; I never once saw Plumlee play and think he could be the next Jeff Foster. Other than rebounding, he wasn't all that tough and didn't strike me as a defensive asset. I'm willing to give him a shot, but if he flames out, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. Definitely a bit of a reach on Bird's part.

TheDon
06-29-2012, 03:11 AM
My only guess is that Larry owed Coach K a favor for letting Granger be on the USA basketball team...I will bet you all the money I have that Simmons has a field day with this on his recount of the draft and his ongoing pursuit of how much Larry loves drafting big white guys.

OlBlu
06-29-2012, 08:03 AM
I watched him play a lot during his college career. I honestly don't understand this pick. He had a mediocre college career. He was constantly yanked in and out of the Duke starting lineup along with Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly. He doesn't have much offense. He can't hit jumpshots. He doesn't have the size to guard NBA centers, so I guess he's going to the end of the PF depth chart. His best game of the past season was on senior night, where he played well in the first half while his team got blown out by UNC in a game that decided the ACC regular season.

Here is an awesome pic of how he attempted the patented Duke flop to take a charge, but instead was called for a foul while John Henson put his junk on his shoulder.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0f6scA0aO54be/350x.jpg

Can ANYONE explain why a 1st round draft pick was used on Miles Plumlee? Did the Pacers think they were drafting Mason Plumlee?

He is very much like McRoberts. I like his athleticism. He has a 40" verticle and he is built strong. He will be an excellent backup to Hibbert and will play some PF too. I don't see why everyone is so down on him. Bird was going to go for a big man. He doesn't buy into the notion that we have a PG problem and never has......:cool:

OlBlu
06-29-2012, 08:04 AM
My only guess is that Larry owed Coach K a favor for letting Granger be on the USA basketball team...I will bet you all the money I have that Simmons has a field day with this on his recount of the draft and his ongoing pursuit of how much Larry loves drafting big white guys.

The favor would not be owned by Larry. Management doesn't want their players to participate in those games and possibly get hurt. If anything, Coach K would owe Larry a favor.....:cool:

Really?
06-29-2012, 08:12 AM
Simple I am a Duke fan and am not a big fan of this pick, and here are some of the reasons:

I do not think Plumlee is horrible, but he has a lot to work on to become a good NBA player, for the level that he is at and his potential he could have easily been a late 2nd round pick. If he would not have posted a 40inch vertical he may have went undrafted.

When our selection came there was more quality guys out there that we could have invested in, I firmly believe we could have gambled on our first pick and took less of a gamble on our 2nd, I feel what this team needs to contend is not just a back up center but a lot more, and we could have taken a chance at filling that need by gambling on some of the players that were still available and had tons of potential.

I would like to add Jeff Foster is cool, but to me he is not a necessity for a championship winning team, as posted somewhere else the Playoffs are more about your starters play than having a good bench, this move did not get us any closer to put our selves in a position to significantly improve our starting line up in coming years.

One last thing, something that really disappointed me was the heat traded their pick for #45 and a future 1st, I feel we could have did that and still grabbed Plumlee if we wanted to go that route and in the process set ourselves up better for the future, and worst come to worst and Plumlee is gone just grab Kyle O'Quinn, just as much potential and more versatility.

That is all I have to say about this selection, I have made my peace and am ready to move on towards free agency.

Really?
06-29-2012, 08:17 AM
He is very much like McRoberts. I like his athleticism. He has a 40" verticle and he is built strong. He will be an excellent backup to Hibbert and will play some PF too. I don't see why everyone is so down on him. Bird was going to go for a big man. He doesn't buy into the notion that we have a PG problem and never has......:cool:

Not like Josh, not the passer he was, not as fluent athletically, and not the same basketball IQ, and Josh had a better shot. As far as the pick it is not just "not liking plumlee" it is also over picking him by a large margin that upset most fans, see my post below for more insight.

Unclebuck
06-29-2012, 08:25 AM
This quote from Frank Vogel explains a lot

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120629/SPORTS15/206290324/Bob-Kravitz-Pacers-Miles-Plumlee-not-last-memory-Larry-Bird-most-expected (http://www.indystar.com/article/20120629/SPORTS15/206290324/Bob-Kravitz-Pacers-Miles-Plumlee-not-last-memory-Larry-Bird-most-expected)

Our first scouting meeting, I jokingly asked, 'Are there any Jeff Fosters in the draft?' and four of our scouts said simultaneously, 'Miles Plumlee.' We've had our eye on him ever since. I know he's been a personal favorite of Larry Bird. We had a hunch about him. And his personal workout (http://www.indystar.com/article/20120629/SPORTS15/206290324/Bob-Kravitz-Pacers-Miles-Plumlee-not-last-memory-Larry-Bird-most-expected#) blew us away.''

Really?
06-29-2012, 08:30 AM
This quote from Frank Vogel explains a lot

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120629/SPORTS15/206290324/Bob-Kravitz-Pacers-Miles-Plumlee-not-last-memory-Larry-Bird-most-expected (http://www.indystar.com/article/20120629/SPORTS15/206290324/Bob-Kravitz-Pacers-Miles-Plumlee-not-last-memory-Larry-Bird-most-expected)

Our first scouting meeting, I jokingly asked, 'Are there any Jeff Fosters in the draft?' and four of our scouts said simultaneously, 'Miles Plumlee.' We've had our eye on him ever since. I know he's been a personal favorite of Larry Bird. We had a hunch about him. And his personal workout (http://www.indystar.com/article/20120629/SPORTS15/206290324/Bob-Kravitz-Pacers-Miles-Plumlee-not-last-memory-Larry-Bird-most-expected#) blew us away.''

That form of decision making sounds completely silly, just saying, they got in love with a player we used to have that was by no means a star but a fan favorite role player. They did not take into account people slipping, and they did not look at what his draft value would be and where they would need to be to guarantee they got him, or maybe they did and there were many teams that were planning on taking him in the next upcoming picks, but I highly doubt that.

Sparhawk
06-29-2012, 08:35 AM
That form of decision making sounds completely silly, just saying, they got in love with a player we used to have that was by no means a star but a fan favorite role player. They did not take into account people slipping, and they did not look at what his draft value would be and where they would need to be to guarantee they got him, or maybe they did and there were many teams that were planning on taking him in the next upcoming picks, but I highly doubt that.

So much this. Bird is just fixated on Foster. You don't find a carbon copy, cause Plumlee isn't Foster and will never be. Foster was a nice player and he's retired. let's move on.

Larry Staverman
06-29-2012, 08:49 AM
First of all let's see him play with the Pacers before throwing him under the bus. Bird and Vogel see something there and they know the team better than anyone.

Bird says he defends the pick and roll very well and if anyone watched the Pacers last year every team pick and rolled the living s*** out of us because Roy moves laterally like the Jolly Green Giant.

If he can help to stop us from getting abused on the one play teams killed us with consistently he is well worth the pick.

Unclebuck
06-29-2012, 08:49 AM

No, if you read other quotes from Frank, yeah they were looking at the players slipping and still decided to draft Plum.

I mean really? do you think they wouldn't look at the players slipping. Really?

Really?
06-29-2012, 08:55 AM
No, if you read other quotes from Frank, yeah they were looking at the players slipping and still decided to draft Plum.

I mean really? do you think they wouldn't look at the players slipping. Really?

No I really be leave they would but going off of what you put and what they did it seems like they did not really value it heavily or just did not like the guys, but again that is the least of my worries, I do not feel they accessed the value of Plumlee correctly, the over pick him, and that was the biggest problem that I had. You have to try to get the most value out of where you are picking, whether that is trading or taking someone at that spot, I do not feel they did a good job at that.

Also Bird thinks he can play right away, and Vogel said rebounding and defense were his thing, I do not think either of these is true, he was a late bloomer and is more of a aggressive defender, not necessarily a good one, and his rebounding is not that stellar; I can see him being in foul trouble all the time, he is not a smart defender and that will really hurt him in the league.

King Tuts Tomb
06-29-2012, 09:03 AM
I actually liked the pick. Jones III doesn't seem to have the mindset of the guys we're building around. Not a knock against him, the Pacers just seem to be trying to build a slightly older, effort based team. I think he'll fit in great with the Thunder. None of the other guys interested me all that much. I really was hoping Wroten fell to us but when the Grizz picked him I was happy with whatever Bird and Pritchard and Walsh decided on.

Judging by his age and what I've read about him, Plumlee seems like a good fit for this team. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Collison and Hansbrough moved and Plumlee picking up those back up power forward minutes without much of a difference.

graphic-er
06-29-2012, 09:11 AM
I actually liked the pick. Jones III doesn't seem to have the mindset of the guys we're building around. Not a knock against him, the Pacers just seem to be trying to build a slightly older, effort based team. I think he'll fit in great with the Thunder. None of the other guys interested me all that much. I really was hoping Wroten fell to us but when the Grizz picked him I was happy with whatever Bird and Pritchard and Walsh decided on.

Judging by his age and what I've read about him, Plumlee seems like a good fit for this team. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Collison and Hansbrough moved and Plumlee picking up those back up power forward minutes without much of a difference.

Except that Plumlee is Center. He wont' be playing PF.

PR07
06-29-2012, 09:25 AM
We've tried replacing Foster not once (Hansbrough) but twice now (Plumlee). Hopefully, we can nail it once. However, as far as I've known, there's only been one Jeff Foster and player like him.

PaceBalls
06-29-2012, 09:33 AM
God, you would think Reggie Miller died or we traded Paul George for Steve Novak by reading Pacers Digest today.

Give the kid a chance, it's not often a 7' dude has a 40inch vert. His stat numbers aren't bad for a guy playing 20 mpg. I hope this guy makes you all eat serious crow.

Ozwalt72
06-29-2012, 09:39 AM
Except that Plumlee is Center. He wont' be playing PF.

His athletic #s say he could play the 4 at times. Is he gonna match up against a stretch 4? Hell no.

But, since this is an athleticism pick, lets compare him to some Centers, PFs and in betweens:

All pre-draft measurements from Draft Express.

Miles Plumlee Ht: 6'11.75 Wt: 252lb Wing: 7'0.75" Reach: 8'9" No Step: 35.5" Max Vert: 40.5" Bench: 15 reps Lane Agility: 10.64 sec 3/4: 3.36 sec

Al Horford Ht: 6'9.75" Wt: 246lb Wing: 7'0.75" Reach: 8'11" No Step: 31" Max Vert: 35.5" Bench: 20 reps Lane Agility: 12.15 sec 3/4: 3.37 sec

Marcin Gortat Ht: 7'0" Wt: 225 Wing: 7'3.5 Reach: 9'2" No Step: 29.5" Max Vert: 36" Bench: 18 Lane Agility: 11.48 sec 3/4: 3.33 sec

Josh McRoberts Ht: 6'10" Wt: 240lb Wing: 7'1" Reach: 8'10.5 No Step: 27.5" Max Vert: 31.5" Bench: 12 Reps Lane Agility: 11.7 sec 3/4: 3.47 sec

Lou Amundson Ht: 6'8" Wt: 221lb Wing: 6'11.5" Reach: 8'6.75" No Step: 32" Max Vert: 35.5" Bench: 14 Reps Lane Agility: 10.58 sec 3/4: 3.20 sec

Nikola Vucevic Ht: 6'11.75" Wt: 260lb Wing: 7'4.5 Reach: 9'4.5 No Step: 23.5" Max Vert: 25" Bench: 9 reps Lane Agility: 12.02 sec 3/4: 3.27 sec

BRushWithDeath
06-29-2012, 09:40 AM
God, you would think Reggie Miller died or we traded Paul George for Steve Novak by reading Pacers Digest today.

Give the kid a chance, it's not often a 7' dude has a 40inch vert. His stat numbers aren't bad for a guy playing 20 mpg. I hope this guy makes you all eat serious crow.

You know what stat number is really, really bad? That the 7 footer with a 40" vert could only get on the floor for 20 minutes per game as a senior in college.

Inca Street
06-29-2012, 09:44 AM
After sleeping on this pick, I am warming up to it.

Per the "chatter" on the web, it sounds like a couple of teams right after us might have been targeting him . Obviously, we have a major hole at the backup center spot. This is definitely a drafting for need approach, which makes sense.

Now for the doomsday scenario.......is this pick insurance for not resigning Hibbert? Cue sky falling in....3....2....1....

Speed
06-29-2012, 09:47 AM
Well, here some things I want to see for myself before passing judgement, now having a day to sleep on it.

Larry said he's good in the pick and roll, really what the team needs is a big who can guard this fundamental NBA play.

Vogel said he was the best dirty work player, if he'll box out and bang as a back up to Roy, control the defensive glass, thats exactly what you need.

He doesn't block shots, but does he take charges? Either is an effective deterrent and protects the rim.

He doesn't have to be Jeff, I think thats unrealistic, Jeff was a league leader in offensive board per throughout his career. He was really unique. If Miles can be a physical back up center who gives 15-20 mins a game of solid play that makes things difficult for the other team, thats a win.

BringJackBack
06-29-2012, 09:52 AM
This is the Daniel Orton Jr. pick of 2012. But instead of him being a piece of crap immature player, he's a milk drinker ala Murphleavy days.

PLUS WE ALREADY HAVE FESENKO.

Mackey_Rose
06-29-2012, 09:57 AM

You're just the best OlBlu.

Digging the Plumlee pick because "he is very much like" McBrick is high-effort trolling.

Speed
06-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Is Fes still under contract? Whats the roster look like right now?

travmil
06-29-2012, 10:12 AM
OK I'm down off the ledge. Still not happy but I'll allow the kid to surprise me and hope that he does. Besides, if he does end up not being able contribute, that's a lot easier to take at pick # 26 than it would be in the lottery.

Reginald
06-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Now for the doomsday scenario.......is this pick insurance for not resigning Hibbert? Cue sky falling in....3....2....1....

I actually think Plumlee is insurance for when Hibbert is on the bench. Whenever Roy sat, teams attacked our smaller second unit. It's hard to compete consistently with no guys taller than 6-8.

Gamble1
06-29-2012, 10:28 AM
I actually think Plumlee is insurance for when Hibbert is on the bench. Whenever Roy sat, teams attacked our smaller second unit. It's hard to compete consistently with no guys taller than 6-8.
My big beef is that the Pacers need a low post scorer when Hibbert leaves and Miles is not that guy. Do you get that guy at 26th maybe not but trying to fill the void of Jeff Foster is ignoring FA's that could easily have done so for around 5 million.

Mackey_Rose
06-29-2012, 10:30 AM
I think what I'm most bummed about, is that our front office watched every game last year, and concluded that the biggest hole that needed filled, was the the one left by Jeff Foster's absence.

Until the decision makers are willing to acknowledge the real problems with the roster they've constructed, it will never be fixed.

Since86
06-29-2012, 10:33 AM
I think what I'm most bummed about, is that our front office watched every game last year, and concluded that the biggest hole that needed filled, was the the one left by Jeff Foster's absence.

Until the decision makers are willing to acknowledge the real problems with the roster they've constructed, it will never be fixed.

Or they have other plans to fill those other holes. Not like the only way to get the pieces you want/need is through the draft.

I seriously doubt there was a saving grace still on the board.

5_7_Clash
06-29-2012, 10:36 AM
You know what stat number is really, really bad? That the 7 footer with a 40" vert could only get on the floor for 20 minutes per game as a senior in college.

This actually isn't his fault. Duke played a 3 man rotation with their bigs. They all got 15-25 min a game which is about what he averaged. Their whole scheme was perimeter oriented while he was there.

vnzla81
06-29-2012, 10:38 AM
I think is amazing how they are always looking for the next Jeff Foster like he was some kind of superstar or something, stupid decision making, I hope they don't screw free agency the same way they screwed the draft.

Mackey_Rose
06-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Or they have other plans to fill those other holes. Not like the only way to get the pieces you want/need is through the draft.

I seriously doubt there was a saving grace still on the board.

No, Michael Jordan was sitting there to be drafted.

But better players than Miles Plumlee were.

pacers20
06-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Alex Raskin (http://twitter.com/alexraskinNYC):Shocked to see so many #Pacers (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Pacers) fans doubting Miles Plumlee, especially considering he's from Warsaw, IN. Guy is an athletic freak

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz1zC4IQZBk

Mackey_Rose
06-29-2012, 10:42 AM
I think is amazing how they are always looking for the next Jeff Foster like he was some kind of superstar or something, stupid decision making, I hope they don't screw free agency the same way they screwed the draft.

I can only hope for Plumlee's sake he can figure out a way to do one thing well. If he can learn to rebound, maybe we'll give him like $100 million like we did to Foster.

Since86
06-29-2012, 10:43 AM
There wasn't any player there that was going to fill the biggest hole, which is what you said though. That, which is a scorer off of the bench IMHO, needs to be filled with a proven player, not an untested rookie who's a long shot late first round draft pick.

Mackey_Rose
06-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Alex Raskin (http://twitter.com/alexraskinNYC):Shocked to see so many #Pacers (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Pacers) fans doubting Miles Plumlee, especially considering he's from Warsaw, IN. Guy is an athletic freak

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz1zC4IQZBk

If being from Warsaw, IN and playing high school basketball in North Carolina, and then college basketball at Duke University doesn't endear you to Hoosiers, what will?

PacerPenguins
06-29-2012, 10:44 AM

thats wat free agency is for....... why in the world would they want PJ3 who has no knees or anything. If miami passed on him there has got to be something wrong. OKC just hoping he doesn't get hurt.

BRushWithDeath
06-29-2012, 10:45 AM
This actually isn't his fault. Duke played a 3 man rotation with their bigs. They all got 15-20 min a game which is what he averaged. Their whole scheme was perimeter oriented while he was there.

********. Coach K may be a stubborn *******, but if Plumlee was good enough to help him win more, he'd have played a hell of a lot more than 20 minutes a night. The reason their whole scheme was perimeter oriented was becuase their big guys were garbage. Has there ever been a first rounder who played 4+ years in college that didn't play 20 minutes per game?

Mackey_Rose
06-29-2012, 10:46 AM
There wasn't any player there that was going to fill the biggest hole, which is what you said though. That, which is a scorer off of the bench IMHO, needs to be filled with a proven player, not an untested rookie who's a long shot late first round draft pick.

Even if that was the biggest hole (I don't buy that at all) there were many better options to help fill that void than the guy who averaged 5 points a game as a 24 year old senior.

PacerPenguins
06-29-2012, 10:47 AM
I just hope he dominates the summer league in Orlando especially when we play OKC (if PJ3 plays)

Ace E.Anderson
06-29-2012, 10:48 AM
thats wat free agency is for....... why in the world would they want PJ3 who has no knees or anything. If miami passed on him there has got to be something wrong. OKC just hoping he doesn't get hurt.

After we re-sign Roy and probably Hill, what will we realistically have left for other FA? I think we MIGHT have enough cash to get one more player in FA.

BrownBearCoffee
06-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Pacers.com has the Plumlee jersey up for sale. I am thinking about investing in about 10 of them for when the value increases...

Mackey_Rose
06-29-2012, 10:50 AM

I never said a word about Perry Jones III. There were at least half a dozen other options that would have made more sense.

Edit: For what it's worth, I'd have probably taken Moultrie and been totally satisfied, but if not him, I don't know how we passed on Marquis Teague.

PacerPenguins
Even if that was the biggest hole (I don't buy that at all) there were many better options to help fill that void than the guy who averaged 5 points a game as a 24 year old senior.

Soo?? We traded the 12th pick in the 2008 NBA draft for Lou Amundson... who can't even score 2 feet from the basket...

Since86

There were "many better options" for a proven scorer for the bench still on the board? :laugh: Okay....

06-29-2012, 10:51 AM
I'm sure it's already been posted but I don't have time to go through the entire thread.

Did anyone see Bill Simmons comment on the Pacers drafting Plumlee??

Welcome to Draft Diary XVI (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8111210/welcome-draft-diary-xvi)

10:04 — Instead of taking Miles Plumlee at no. 26, Indiana should have just walked over to Perry Jones and dumped a bucket of manure on him. That's tonight's first pick that elicited outright laughter from everyone in my living room. It's almost like they knew Larry Bird was leaving and wanted to take one last white guy in his honor, only all the white guys got taken and they still stubbornly stuck to the plan. Nope, we promised we'd do it for Larry … just take Plumlee, it will be fine …

Sweet.... even writers on ESPN are making fun of our franchise and the fact that Larry Bird is obsessed with bad white players.

5_7_Clash
06-29-2012, 10:52 AM
********. Coach K may be a stubborn *******, but if Plumlee was good enough to help him win more, he'd have played a hell of a lot more than 20 minutes a night. The reason their whole scheme was perimeter oriented was becuase their big guys were garbage. Has there ever been a first rounder who played 4+ years in college that didn't play 20 minutes per game?

I don't disagree. I'm just pointing out that his minutes weren't based solely on his performance.

06-29-2012, 10:53 AM

DeJuan Blair had no ACL's and everyone passsed on him.

Good move by the other 29 teams.

Since86
06-29-2012, 10:53 AM
Hibbert is a bad white player? Rush is bad white player? Paul George is a bad white player? Lance Stephenson is a bad white player?

I guess Tyler Hansborough being white trumps multiple black guys.

Ace E.Anderson
06-29-2012, 10:54 AM

This is what I was thinking when I heard Bird'd post-draft comments. Why are we trying to find the next Jeff Foster? lol. I loved Jeff but I personally would want someone with more talent instead. But that's just me.

McKeyFan
06-29-2012, 10:54 AM
I hate the pick.

I liked the Hibbert pick. But I really like your comment.

Ace E.Anderson
06-29-2012, 10:57 AM
Hibbert is a bad white player? Rush is bad white player? Paul George is a bad white player? Lance Stephenson is a bad white player?

Though I disagree with him, I think TOP was referring to Murphy, Dunleavy, Diener and Mcbob as opposed to players that were drafted by Bird

06-29-2012, 10:57 AM

Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy, Peja Stojakovic, Tyler Hansbrough, Josh McRoberts, Travis Deiner, Lou Amundson, Fes and now Miles Plumlee. Which of those guys were that great for us? I don't think I'd call any of them good. At one point, I think we had like 5 white guys on the team. Also, Brandon Rush got traded for a white guy and George/Stephenson have only been on the team for 2 years. We'll never know what would have happened since Bird is gone now.

Bill Simmons isn't a Pacers fan and he commented on it. Not sure why my comment upsets you when even non-fans of the Pacers know that Bird likes white players.

Speed
06-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Wheels are wobbling here... come on fellas.

Since86
06-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy, Peja Stojakovic, Tyler Hansbrough, Josh McRoberts, Travis Deiner, Lou Amundson, and now Miles Plumlee. Which of those guys were that great for us? I don't think I'd call any of them good. At one point, I think we had like 5 white guys on the team. Also, Brandon Rush got traded for a white guy and George/Stephenson have only been on the team for 2 years. We'll never know what would have happened since Bird is gone now.

A team with 5 white guys means they have 7 non-white guys.... This white/black this is so overblown and idiotic.

Bill Simmons does what Bill Simmons does. He was a writer for Jimmy Kimmel. I don't think his tongue-in-cheek comedic lines should be taken all that seriously.

Unclebuck
06-29-2012, 11:01 AM
I'm sure it's already been posted but I don't have time to go through the entire thread.

Did anyone see Bill Simmons comment on the Pacers drafting Plumlee??

Welcome to Draft Diary XVI (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8111210/welcome-draft-diary-xvi)

Sweet.... even writers on ESPN are making fun of our franchise and the fact that Larry Bird is obsessed with bad white players.

you are joking right .

sav
06-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Plumlee is a great pcik at #26.

What the Pacers needed heading into the draft was a starting center (re-sign Hibbert), a starting PG (re-sign Hill), someone that could score off the bench and a back up center. There are multiple free agents that can score off the bench.

Plumlee at 6'11" 250 gives us size at back up center. Re-signing Hibbert along with Plumlee should make the center position solid for many years.

Now we need to find a wing man that can score. Once we sign Hill, we will have Collison to trade or we could sign a free agent...Brandon Roy (if healthy) maybe?