PDA

View Full Version : Eric Gordon Rumor

k_lewis93
06-28-2012, 11:38 AM
The @EMasseyReport just posted on twitter... "Hoops World stated in an article today that Eric Gordon is wavering on re-signing with the #Hornets and wants to sign with the #Pacers.

I'm excited! Hope it's true!!!

sav
06-28-2012, 11:39 AM
He would want too much money.

Due to the fact that he is injured all of the time and would want too much money, the Pacers should pass on him.

Doddage
06-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Hoopsworld.

Sandman21
06-28-2012, 11:47 AM
:vaderno:

k_lewis93
06-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Sorry but I disagree if he wants to sign that bad he won't ask for a max and we had money to spare at the end of the year and now we have guys like Barbosa and Lou coming off the books we can afford him and still sign Roy and whoever else. As much as I like Lou and Barbosa, Gordon is a no brainer if he is there for the right price. If a player of that caliber openly says I want to sign with you who in their right mind is gonna say eh no thanks.

Sandman21
06-28-2012, 11:48 AM
New Orleans will just match it.

Kegboy
06-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Found it. Don't shoot the messenger in regards to their PG mention.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-trade-chatter-of-draft-day

Pacers Backing Up The Brinks Truck: Word from the draft process is that Hornets guard Eric Gordon is wavering on his interest in a long-term deal in New Orleans and that his preferred destination is the Indiana Pacers.

Apparently the affections for Gordon are mutual as sources close to the new Pacers front office say that they will make a “sizable” offer to Eric Gordon in hopes of either forcing a sign-and-trade with the Hornets or landing him outright.

Sources near the process in New Orleans say that while building around Eric Gordon has always been the plan, they are not about to tie up major money in a guy that clearly does not want to be there.

The Pacers looks to have as much as $21 million to play with in free agency, the question is how much will Gordon cost in cash, and in order to get New Orleans out of the way will it also cost the Pacers Paul George?

The Hornets are not open to taking back large long-term contracts so a sign-and-trade would have to be built around guys on rookie deals.

Aw Heck
06-28-2012, 11:53 AM
It's going to take Paul George, people. New Orleans has no incentive to do the Pacers any favors. They're starting over with Anthony Davis. They want young talent.

New Orleans will want young talent in return for Gordon or they'll just match any offer sheet he signs. It's that simple.

Sandman21
06-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Plus I think Houston may also be in the mix from what I've seen on Twitter.

idioteque
06-28-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm still waiting on Hoopsworld analysis as to how he will fit in with Mayo in Indiana.

Jeremy
06-28-2012, 11:58 AM
WOOT WOOT!! Get him PACERS!

Slick Pinkham
06-28-2012, 11:59 AM
We really need more threads with Eric Gordon discussions. That never gets old.

Trader Joe
06-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Did you guys know Eric Gordon wants to play for the Pacers?!?1/11/11/11.2m1oj2o1????!!!!

Sandman21
06-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Injury prone guy for guy who has been rather healthy?

Pretty clear cut for me.

If theres a way to get him without giving up Paul or Roy, then pursue it, but otherwise, pass.

rel
06-28-2012, 12:05 PM
as injury prone as he is...I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't risk it. It's just hard not to want someone as talented as him that truly wants to be an Indiana Pacer. So all my rationale goes out the window on this one :P Come home EJ!

(Long as we aren't giving up PG to get him)

Sandman21
06-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Wells sayz:

IndyStarSports:
I'd be shocked if New Orleans let Gordon walk. They're going to build around him and Anthony Davis. And they gave up a future Hall of Famer in CP3 for Gordon.

Pace Maker
06-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Injury prone guy for guy who has been rather healthy?

Pretty clear cut for me.

If theres a way to get him without giving up Paul or Roy, then pursue it, but otherwise, pass.

Pretty much this.

I do think people underrate Gordon a bit here though. I think if he could stay healthy he could be a star

Wilk39
06-28-2012, 12:08 PM
It's too bad Gordon is injury prone because he could take over this city.

You have a star player DYING to come back to his hometown and it just doesn't make sense for the Pacers to pull the trigger.

It's unfortunate.

k_lewis93
06-28-2012, 12:09 PM
If it takes PG then I'm gonna say no I guess but man it would hurt to know a player like him wants to play for us but can't

Will Galen
06-28-2012, 12:11 PM
I understand Eric wants to play for the Pacers because he wants to watch over his brother in Indy. So what he should do is let New Orleans know he's going to play out the year and become a free agent. Then sign with the Pacers next year and New Orleans won't get anything in return unless they do a trade with the Pacers this year. He would also be showing the Pacers that he could stay healthy.

As for the Pacers I wouldn't give up any starters for him, he appears to be injury prone. He's a shooting guard and it doesn't make sense to trade Granger for him and give up one scorer for another that is possibly injury prone as a lot of Gordon fans want to do. That moves George to SF, and pits George against guys much stronger, plus the Pacers lose their height advantage, and possibly, but unlikely, their team chemistry.

Pritch should offer a first rounder and bit parts to New Orleans for him.

pacers74
06-28-2012, 12:14 PM
I don't know what to think. Imagine if Gordon could stay healthy. We could battle with Miami and Chicago and maybe take them. But then, if we get him and he is out for 50 games a year, then he will have us in cap hell paying him X amount of money will he sits behind the bench in his armani suit.

I don't want to give up PG, but remember our new front office didn't draft him. They don't have the close ties to him like Bird does, he could be expendable.

pacers74
06-28-2012, 12:16 PM
If it takes PG then I'm gonna say no I guess but man it would hurt to know a player like him wants to play for us but can't

How often does a guy with his talent want to play in Indiana.

CJ Jones
06-28-2012, 12:17 PM
If I was in the Hornets front office I don't think I'd feel too good about paying someone close to the max if he didn't want to play for me. Maybe Pritchard(?) can get creative and net us some more assets so we can make an offer... Paul George should be off the table as far as I'm concerned though

Sandman21
06-28-2012, 12:18 PM
More Wells sayz:

Comment From Sandman (Hey, I know that guy!)
Report from Hoopsworld says that the Pacers Front Office is prepared to make a offer to Eric Gordon. Are you hearing same?
12:19

IndyStarSports:
The Pacers will reach out to Gordon, but they'll likely only go so high because New Orleans plans to match it and Gordon has a history of injury problems.

Rogco
06-28-2012, 12:20 PM
It's going to take Paul George, people. New Orleans has no incentive to do the Pacers any favors. They're starting over with Anthony Davis. They want young talent.

New Orleans will want young talent in return for Gordon or they'll just match any offer sheet he signs. It's that simple.

Think that's a no brainer, though I know a lot of people around here would disagree with me.

HC
06-28-2012, 12:21 PM
It doesn't really matter what NO wants to do. Everyone seems to forget that this is a league where the players get to choose who they want to play for, and they just hold franchises hostage in order to do so.

idioteque
06-28-2012, 12:22 PM

THANK YOU. People are delusional when it comes to what the Pacers would have to give up to get Gordon.

k_lewis93
06-28-2012, 12:23 PM
How often does a guy with his talent want to play in Indiana.

I know that was what I was originally saying but everyone came down at first and said no regardless. I would love to have him here but at the expense of PG? Idk

Ownagedood
06-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Hmm.. I'm happy he WANTS to come here.. I wouldn't mind having him, he's a star. Just don't want to pay him too much guarenteed money, make sure he doesn't earn it while sitting with an injury.

Honestly its probably worth it for us to give up PG for him.. But I probably wouldn't. He's my favorite player!

k_lewis93
06-28-2012, 12:24 PM
It doesn't really matter what NO wants to do. Everyone seems to forget that this is a league where the players get to choose who they want to play for, and they just hold franchises hostage in order to do so.

Just as long as we are on the upside I'm okay with that haha

idioteque
06-28-2012, 12:25 PM
After this season, I think PG's ceiling is probably a slightly more athletic and more focused on defense Danny Granger; in other words he's not going to be a player you could rely on to put up 22-25 a night consistently on a good team. Gordon, if healthy, can do that. Its really risky, but the Pacers desperately need a go-to scorer and Gordon is our best option for that.

Will Galen
06-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Think that's a no brainer, though I know a lot of people around here would disagree with me.

Check your dictionary. The definition of a 'no brainer' is something
so simple or easy as to require no thought.

So what you are saying is giving up Paul George for what could be an injury prone player takes no thought?

DISAGREE BIG TIME!

croz24
06-28-2012, 12:26 PM
There are several with very good connections to the Gordon family, myself included, and Eric wants very badly to play for the Pacers and would take less to do so. He wants to especially be around to see Eron through high school. Not sure why some have questioned this.

With the Pacers not wanting to go the RFA route, I guess we can try to center a trade package around Collison, #26, and a future 1st. If he makes it known he refuses to sign with NOH, surely the Hornets would be willing to accept less in return. I obviously would package Granger for him, but no point in getting into that discussion since 95% of the board wouldn't.

idioteque
06-28-2012, 12:28 PM
I obviously would package Granger for him, but no point in getting into that discussion since 95% of the board wouldn't.

I like Granger, but I would.

Jeremy
06-28-2012, 12:29 PM
I would trade Paul George for Eric Gordon. George doesn't have the mentality to dominate like Gordon does. And, even if PG does become what you guys think he will, do you really think he would want to stay here?

idioteque
06-28-2012, 12:31 PM
I would trade Paul George for Eric Gordon. George doesn't have the mentality to dominate like Gordon does. And, even if PG does become what you guys think he will, do you really think he would want to stay here?

Amen. I have seen no indication from PG that this is the case, but if he pans out he would have to be hugely intrigued with the idea of going to play for the Lakers. A declining Kobe would still not be chopped liver and could help him develop the killer instinct he needs, he would be home, and he'd be playing for one of the most decorated NBA franchises.

Rogco
06-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Check your dictionary. The definition of a 'no brainer' is something
so simple or easy as to require no thought.

So what you are saying is giving up Paul George for what could be an injury prone player takes no thought?

DISAGREE BIG TIME!

That's exactly what I'm saying. If all it takes is Paul George you go and do it, doesn't require thought. You also notice I said a lot of people will disagree with me. Fine, but when you can trade a 10 ppg guy with upside but no handles for a 25 ppg guy who can create his own shot and has some injury concerns, you pull the trigger, especially if you're a small market team that doesn't have a number one pick.

Steagles
06-28-2012, 12:39 PM

This. I like PG, but I am not as high on him now that he didn't progress a whole lot this year. If EJ can stay healthy, he'd be perfect in a swap for PG.

Gold
06-28-2012, 12:48 PM

Yeah....I believe he said he wanted to be the Pacers all time leading scorer one day. right?

croz24
06-28-2012, 12:48 PM
I think much of the issue with Paul has to do with Granger as his mentor. George has allowed many of Granger's bad habits into his own game. Ideally, someone like Reggie can come in and mentor George on having a high motor, off ball movement, pump fakes/jab steps/etc, and an overall better understanding of the game. Mirroring Granger won't help George's game in the least.

I wouldn't want to give up George for EJ, but if Collison and Hans are packaged with him to get the #10 as well, I'd consider it.

Ace E.Anderson
06-28-2012, 12:49 PM
After this season, I think PG's ceiling is probably a slightly more athletic and more focused on defense Danny Granger; in other words he's not going to be a player you could rely on to put up 22-25 a night consistently on a good team. Gordon, if healthy, can do that. Its really risky, but the Pacers desperately need a go-to scorer and Gordon is our best option for that.

Though I agree with you, what evidence do you have that Gordon can score 22-25 a night ON A GOOD TEAM? He's never been a part of a winning season in the NBA, and he's never put up 22-25 even on losing teams...

graphic-er
06-28-2012, 12:51 PM
YES!!!!!! LARRY! This is your last Hoorah! Make it happen bring EJ back to Indy!

EJ gives us that one player who is gonna match up with Wade and out play him. Thats what you need.

I've give up PG and DC + future 1st for him.

Honestly i'd give up anybody on the the roster besides Hibbert. Its a risk cause of his injury history. But this is Indiana, you have to take a shot at the story book ending.

Besides PG will only get worse defensively from here on out. He was exposed by Miami. 6-10 SGs can't get around screens.

PacersHomer
06-28-2012, 12:52 PM
If he really wants to be here he'd just take less money, sign the qualifying offer and become a UFA next season.

I wouldn't even think about trading Paul George for him. First, the salaries don't match up at all, second Paul George has the potential to be better than what Gordon is now, and third, Gordon and Granger isn't a very good combo at all. I would love to trade Granger for EG but they would have no reason to do that.

PacersHomer
06-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Besides PG will only get worse defensively from here on out. He was exposed by Miami. 6-10 SGs can't get around screens.

He must be one of those players who peaks at 22 years old. Far too common in the NBA. Paul George isn't a shooting guard.

graphic-er
06-28-2012, 12:55 PM
If he really wants to be here he'd just take less money, sign the qualifying offer and become a UFA next season.

I wouldn't even think about trading Paul George for him. First, the salaries don't match up at all, second Paul George has the potential to be better than what Gordon is now, and third, Gordon and Granger isn't a very good combo at all. I would love to trade Granger for EG but they would have no reason to do that.

Couple of points here, the Pacers can take back a ton of Salary so basically any trade they want could work.
I agree that its unlikely to send Granger back due to age but Granger only has 2 years left on his contract. So that is some what valuable, the same time Granger expires, NOLA should be rounding in to a pretty good team ready to make moves to start contending.

clownskull
06-28-2012, 12:56 PM
I understand Eric wants to play for the Pacers because he wants to watch over his brother in Indy. So what he should do is let New Orleans know he's going to play out the year and become a free agent. Then sign with the Pacers next year and New Orleans won't get anything in return unless they do a trade with the Pacers this year. He would also be showing the Pacers that he could stay healthy.

As for the Pacers I wouldn't give up any starters for him, he appears to be injury prone. He's a shooting guard and it doesn't make sense to trade Granger for him and give up one scorer for another that is possibly injury prone as a lot of Gordon fans want to do. That moves George to SF, and pits George against guys much stronger, plus the Pacers lose their height advantage, and possibly, but unlikely, their team chemistry.

Pritch should offer a first rounder and bit parts to New Orleans for him.

this seems most reasonable. let him play out this final year in n.o. and let him show he can stay healthy. and as time moves on, the hornets either have to trade him to us on the cheap or let him walk. as others have said a million times, he has a brief history of injury problems and i wouldn't trade roy, danny, pg for him. we need guys who have stayed healthy.
if he could stay healthy, it would be pretty damn big. we would have a player who can attack and finish. haven't had a guy like that since rose and a healthy gordon is better than him.

Steagles
06-28-2012, 12:56 PM

No, but if he makes it known that he is coming HERE one way or another, they might just take Tyler and DC and 26/future 1st. DC is a serviceable starter, you know.

Ace E.Anderson
06-28-2012, 12:57 PM

I actually disagree. DG and Eric are the perfect compliment for one another. DG can spot up for J's, while EG can isolate and get to the basket. I'm not 100% advocating for Gordon to be brought here, but I think he is the perfect type of player to play next to Danny

Will Galen
06-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Another thought; There's all these rumors on Collison and the 26th pick for the 10th pick. And now Gordon doesn't want to play for New Orleans.

So, Collison, Hans, and the 26 the pick for Gordon, or Gordon plays out his contract and leaves next year and New Orleans gets nothing.

[Of course we might not have the money next year.]

PacersHomer
06-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Couple of points here, the Pacers can take back a ton of Salary so basically any trade they want could work.
I agree that its unlikely to send Granger back due to age but Granger only has 2 years left on his contract. So that is some what valuable, the same time Granger expires, NOLA should be rounding in to a pretty good team ready to make moves to start contending.

I guess it could depend on Hibbert's contract and when we sign him because he'll eat up a lot of cap space. I do see your point about Granger's salary though. However, isn't Okafor's contract expiring then as well? If they wanted some big contracts for now they would have kept him since he's more than serviceable. I don't see Granger being appealing to a team like that, and I am 100000% opposed to trading Paul George for some with any big question marks.

PacersHomer
06-28-2012, 01:01 PM
No, but if he makes it known that he is coming HERE one way or another, they might just take Tyler and DC and 26/future 1st. DC is a serviceable starter, you know.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Sort of if Gordon went to the Hornets management and said, "Look, I just do not want to be part of this organization and it's very important for me to go home back to Indiana. If you do not trade me, I'll sign my qualifying offer and walk next offseason. You can trade me now and maybe pick up Danny Granger, Darren Collison, and a first rounder, which is a whole lot more than nothing."

pacer4ever
06-28-2012, 01:08 PM
I think much of the issue with Paul has to do with Granger as his mentor. George has allowed many of Granger's bad habits into his own game. Ideally, someone like Reggie can come in and mentor George on having a high motor, off ball movement, pump fakes/jab steps/etc, and an overall better understanding of the game. Mirroring Granger won't help George's game in the least.

I wouldn't want to give up George for EJ, but if Collison and Hans are packaged with him to get the #10 as well, I'd consider it.

you couldn't get a better mentor for PG than Eric(hard worker serious and will go hard at PG in practice and has a great basketball IQ). I think Eric's game fits better with Danny or Paul than Paul and Danny together. I think he adds 5 wins easy just do to fit with our team. I would do whatever it takes Granger makes the most sense due to his contract.

I just think in terms of fit a guy who can put the ball on the floor at will and shoots well fits better than to spot up shooters/ 2 dribble guys in George in Granger. That is a big reason I love Will Barton for the Pacers.

pizza guy
06-28-2012, 01:10 PM
This topic has been beaten to death, but I'm still completely undecided on it. If we managed to pull off a deal like this, I'd be excited because EJ has real talent and would fill a glaring need in this roster. BUT, I still prefer throwing everything at Deron Williams as I think he's a better player and point guard is the bigger need.

I think the only thing that would really frustrate me this off-season would be drafting some backup player, and bringing back last year's roster. We're on the doorstep, but the current roster isn't good enough to get much further than they did this season. We have to be aggressive and move this thing forward to the next stage.

PR07
06-28-2012, 01:10 PM
If he comes here, are you giving up Danny or George? Because he's not coming here to come off the bench.

DGPR
06-28-2012, 01:14 PM
I wonder how tempting an offer of Granger, Collison, #26, and a future pick for Gordon and #10 would be for NO. George could then go back to his natural position and Gordon would more than make up the slack from losing Granger.

k_lewis93
06-28-2012, 01:14 PM
If he comes here, are you giving up Danny or George? Because he's not coming here to come off the bench.

Neither...the obvious thing to do is have EJ at the 2 and DG at the 3 with PG coming off the bench till he's ready to step up and take DG's spot and play like we all know he can and should play

HickeyS2000
06-28-2012, 01:19 PM
I wonder how tempting an offer of Granger, Collison, #26, and a future pick for Gordon and #10 would be for NO. George could then go back to his natural position and Gordon would more than make up the slack from losing Granger.

This would be very tempting if you remove the future pick. Draft picks have been rising in value.

WhoLovesYaBaby?
06-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Exactly! His career has Michael Redd written all over it!
He would want too much money.

Due to the fact that he is injured all of the time and would want too much money, the Pacers should pass on him.

ChicagoJ
06-28-2012, 01:33 PM
To me this is a no-brainer. Negotiate the sign-and trade with NO first to eliminate their interest in matching the offer, and then the contract with Gordon second.

I'd rather trade Granger than George in that situation, and let George play SF where he belongs, but you certainly don't need all three of them on the payroll (long term) so one of them will be involved. And if you don't have to trade Granger to get him, then you certainly trade George. That's why he's an asset.

CJ Jones
06-28-2012, 01:35 PM
We really need more threads with Eric Gordon discussions. That never gets old.

Then stay out of the thread. These pointless posts crying about the discussions are getting just as old.

Kid Minneapolis
06-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Granger for Gordon makes so much sense on so many levels. So naturally.... it won't happen.

PacersHomer
06-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Granger for Gordon makes so much sense on so many levels. So naturally.... it won't happen.

I just like that both players would go back to their hometowns.

graphic-er
06-28-2012, 01:40 PM
How does a trade like this work on Draft night? Would NOLA just be trading EJ's rights to Indiana? Then Indiana has to actually sign him or match other offers?

CableKC
06-28-2012, 01:48 PM
If you are talking about sending Granger to the Hornets for Gordon....then, no....it wouldn't make any sense for the Hornets. The Hornets DO NOT want to take on Granger's long-term contract.

The only way that this could happen is if the Pacers were to flip Granger to some other Team while getting back an Expiring Contract ( or TPE ), a 1st round pick and a decent prospect ( basically Granger's trade value and something that is a possibility ) and then send those acquired assets to the Hornets....then, yes...I can see it making sense for the Hornets.

vnzla81
06-28-2012, 01:48 PM
To me this is a no-brainer. Negotiate the sign-and trade with NO first to eliminate their interest in matching the offer, and then the contract with Gordon second.

I'd rather trade Granger than George in that situation, and let George play SF where he belongs, but you certainly don't need all three of them on the payroll (long term) so one of them will be involved. And if you don't have to trade Granger to get him, then you certainly trade George. That's why he's an asset.

I agree, Danny for EJ is a no-brainer.

Karlton
06-28-2012, 01:49 PM
How does a trade like this work on Draft night? Would NOLA just be trading EJ's rights to Indiana? Then Indiana has to actually sign him or match other offers?

I would love to have Eric Gordon, but if he really wants to be here, can't we just wait a year and sign him outright as an UFA?

(Honest question, I don't know the FA rules for the NBA well).

graphic-er
06-28-2012, 01:53 PM
I would love to have Eric Gordon, but if he really wants to be here, can't we just wait a year and sign him outright as an UFA?

That would require Gordon to only accept the 1 year qualifying offer from NOLA, which is probably in the $8 million range. That is not a popular option for most players. Because typically in the NBA, that 2nd contract is all important. Putting it off for a year is a dumb move.

CableKC
06-28-2012, 01:53 PM

That is assuming that EJ just takes the Qualifying 1-year Offer and doesn't sign a long-term contract. There's no way that an injury prone Player that is on the cusp of getting a long-term contract will risk signing a 1 year contract that just to play in Indy next season.

As many have suggested before.....the best thing to hope for is that EJ signs a long-term contract that has a Player Option in his 3rd or 4th year of his contract and then wait for him to exercise his Player Option and leave as a UFA.

EJ will come to Indy...it will just be in 3 to 4 seasons when he becomes an UFA.

Karlton
06-28-2012, 02:00 PM
That would require Gordon to only accept the 1 year qualifying offer from NOLA, which is probably in the $8 million range. That is not a popular option for most players. Because typically in the NBA, that 2nd contract is all important. Putting it off for a year is a dumb move.

I think that's certainly a fair point, though I'm not sure you can't also argue the opposite position.

If you have a player with injury questions like Gordon, if they feel they get through a full year injury free they would likely increase the value of the second contract. Assuming for argument's sake that he is successful in doing so, it wouldn't be a stretch to see him making more over the next 7 years (next year + 6) then he would otherwise.

It's absolutely a roll of the dice, but if he has faith in himself, I can see him taking that position. Taking the other position is actually tantamount to betting against himself.

Kid Minneapolis
06-28-2012, 02:01 PM
3-4 seasons takes him likely through most of his prime... would be nice to get a star at the start of his damn prime, lol. Sometimes you gotta just jump in instead of playing it safe. They've played it smart and safe for 4-5 years now... at some point in time they gotta play their hand.

k_lewis93
06-28-2012, 02:04 PM
3-4 seasons takes him likely through most of his prime... would be nice to get a star at the start of his damn prime, lol. Sometimes you gotta just jump in instead of playing it safe.

Completely agree. Sometimes u just gotta take the chance and hope to get a big reward. We have all been saying we need a player who can create his own shot and guess what EJ can and he wants to play for us. I don't understand the negativity towards him

rel
06-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Also, wouldn't waiting 3-4 years make him miss out on his bro's HS days? (which apparently is a big factor in coming home?) I have no idea what grade his little bro is in now so someone may need to clarify

PacersHomer
06-28-2012, 02:07 PM
His brother is going to be a freshman next year but he'd still be around when his brother ultimately commits to IU, so there's that! But really, it's now or never for Gordon.

graphic-er
06-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Hopefully Suzy Fischer is on top of things.

Shade
06-28-2012, 02:17 PM
I have zero doubt that Eric wants to play here. I've been saying that for quite some time. However, the fact that he's a RFA, and we don't go after RFAs, is a major sticking point.

Kemo
06-28-2012, 02:19 PM
No way do I give up George ..
As much as I love Danny, I'd rather package him, DC and our 26th pick and/or cash considerations/future 1st rd pick for Gordon and the #10 ..
Because IF we got Gordon , Paul or Danny would have to go due to the logjam at the 2 starting wing positions ... I'd much rather keep George than Granger if it meant getting Gordon and the #10 possibly...

I'd be utterly pissed if we let George go... Both he and ESPECIALLY Hibbert are my 2 favorite young players ... and to be honest, they ARE the future of this Pacers franchise .. in my mind ..

Rogco
06-28-2012, 02:21 PM
I just think in terms of fit a guy who can put the ball on the floor at will and shoots well fits better than to spot up shooters/ 2 dribble guys in George in Granger. That is a big reason I love Will Barton for the Pacers.

Like Will Barton too

graphic-er
06-28-2012, 02:26 PM
No way do I give up George ..
As much as I love Danny, I'd rather package him, DC and our 26th pick and/or cash considerations/future 1st rd pick for Gordon and the #10 ..
Because IF we got Gordon , Paul or Danny would have to go due to the logjam at the 2 starting wing positions ... I'd much rather keep George than Granger if it meant getting Gordon and the #10 possibly...

I'd be utterly pissed if we let George go... Both he and ESPECIALLY Hibbert are my 2 favorite young players ... and to be honest, they ARE the future of this Pacers franchise .. in my mind ..

Yes, your displeasure would last up until the 1st game next season when Gordon puts up 30.

Trader Joe
06-28-2012, 02:27 PM
I agree, Danny for EJ is a no-brainer.

NO would probably rather have George IMO. Not necessarily because George is better, he's just a better fit for that team right now from a salary/age perspective.

Trader Joe
06-28-2012, 02:29 PM
A lot of you need to realize that a Gordon trade can't take place tonight anyway.

Aw Heck
06-28-2012, 02:32 PM
The reason why people would rather trade Granger than George is the same reason why New Orleans would rather have George than Granger.

New Orleans has all the control in this situation. I think they would rather have Gordon sign a one-year deal (and hope playing one year with Davis convinces him to stay) than trade him for Granger.

Gordon can threaten to leave all he wants but that won't change the fact that New Orleans can match any offer for him.

PacersPride
06-28-2012, 02:34 PM
does Gordon really help us though? lets all just stop and take a look at the situation. im absolutely fine with PG starting along with Granger. if we deal for Gordon then PG24 goes to the bench.

i like Gordon, but SG is not a need position. point gaurd is the position this team needs to upgrade.

Steagles
06-28-2012, 02:35 PM
NO would probably rather have George IMO. Not necessarily because George is better, he's just a better fit for that team right now from a salary/age perspective.
I think that Gordon will force his way out, like Paul did, and NOLA doesn't want to go through that again and will get rid of him in a S&T, but not with PG or Danny involved. They will likely take Tyler and/or DC + 1st, or the year with Eric and lose him in FA to the Pacers.

pacer4ever
06-28-2012, 02:36 PM
I think that Gordon will force his way out, like Paul did, and NOLA doesn't want to go through that again and will get rid of him in a S&T, but not with PG or Danny involved. They will likely take Tyler and/or DC + 1st, or the year with Eric and lose him in FA to the Pacers.

your avatar is gonna make me :puke:

CJ Jones
06-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Though I agree with you, what evidence do you have that Gordon can score 22-25 a night ON A GOOD TEAM? He's never been a part of a winning season in the NBA, and he's never put up 22-25 even on losing teams...
He did it at the age 22 (22 ppg) on a bad team for 56 games.

3-4 seasons takes him likely through most of his prime... would be nice to get a star at the start of his damn prime, lol. Sometimes you gotta just jump in instead of playing it safe. They've played it smart and safe for 4-5 years now... at some point in time they gotta play their hand.
I think he'll have another 3-4 years of his prime left after this contract... he's only 23 and he doesn't have much mileage on his legs.

Completely agree. Sometimes u just gotta take the chance and hope to get a big reward. We have all been saying we need a player who can create his own shot and guess what EJ can and he wants to play for us. I don't understand the negativity towards him

It has more to do with the boards love for Gordon then it does his game or injury history.

Steagles
06-28-2012, 02:40 PM
your avatar is gonna make me :puke:

Then don't look at it :tongue:

haha

CJ Jones
06-28-2012, 02:42 PM
does Gordon really help us though? lets all just stop and take a look at the situation. im absolutely fine with PG starting along with Granger. if we deal for Gordon then PG24 goes to the bench.

i like Gordon, but SG is not a need position. point gaurd is the position this team needs to upgrade.

I think a lot of people would disagree with that unless we're able to bring in Nash or Williams. (which is looking more and more like it won't happen)

graphic-er
06-28-2012, 02:44 PM
A lot of you need to realize that a Gordon trade can't take place tonight anyway.

Please explain.

Trader Joe
06-28-2012, 02:47 PM
Please explain.

Gordon is not under contract. I don't think New Orleans can trade his rights to us.

Sandman21
06-28-2012, 02:48 PM
TJ is right, NOLA is unable to trade him because he is not under contract past June 30th.

HC
06-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Sign and trade.

Slick Pinkham
06-28-2012, 02:50 PM
correct me if I am wrong....

A player not under contract cannot be traded. Gordon has not signed his tender offer, so he is not currently under contract. Moreover, he cannot negotiate a new contract until Sunday, and cannot sign a new one until 10 days after that. He cannot be traded tonight, unless he were to decide to sign his tender today, with no contact from the Pacers (which would be illegal).

Trader Joe
06-28-2012, 02:51 PM
Sign and trade.

Can't do that tonight

HC
06-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Can't do that tonight

Agree in principle?

Steagles
06-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Can't do that tonight
Not until the 1st, right?

mildlysane
06-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Agree in principle?

This...happens all the time.

Trader Joe
06-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Agree in principle?

No, I don't think so. The Pacers can not have had any contact with Gordon (legally) before the 1st.

HC
06-28-2012, 02:55 PM
No, I don't think so. The Pacers can not have had any contact with Gordon (legally) before the 1st.

I mean agree in principle to sign and trade with NO.

Trader Joe
06-28-2012, 02:56 PM
I mean agree in principle to sign and trade with NO.

Without knowing what you might have to pay Gordon? That seems a bit risky on both of our ends.

HC
06-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Without knowing what you might have to pay Gordon? That seems a bit risky on both of our ends.

So NO is unable to negotiate a deal with Gordon at this point? At least lay out framework?

Trader Joe
06-28-2012, 03:01 PM
So NO is unable to negotiate a deal with Gordon at this point? At least lay out framework?

Correct, just like we cannot negotiate with Roy or Hill til midnight on the first. Technically, Gordon is not a Hornet right now and Roy and Hill are not Pacers, we just have the right to match offers they receive.

xBulletproof
06-28-2012, 03:01 PM
No, a sign and trade can't happen tonight. We don't know what Gordon's salary will be which will be required to know how much salary is needed to send back.

Regardless of what this schmuck says writing the article, we will NOT have 21 million in cap space. Good God someone hire me to write. These idiots can't get simple things right. We will not have enough cap space to absorb any contract Gordon is willing to sign outright.

HC
06-28-2012, 03:02 PM
Correct, just like we cannot negotiate with Roy or Hill til midnight on the first. Technically, Gordon is not a Hornet right now and Roy and Hill are not Pacers, we just have the right to match offers they receive.

I knew that, I guess I just didn't know that agents and teams couldnt be tossing numbers back and forth.

BRushWithDeath
06-28-2012, 03:23 PM
I don't see Granger being appealing to a team like that, and I am 100000% opposed to trading Paul George for some with any big question marks.

The only question marks on Eric Gordon are injury related. Are they big questions? Sure. However, there are no questions about his game. I will take the guy who may or may not be injury prone but can really, really play over the guy who thus far has been healthy but we don't really know if he'll ever be nearly as good.

Obviously, moving Granger would be the preference but they'd want at least George. And you have to make that move if it is available.

imbtyler
06-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Woah guys. Please slow your roll on Paul George, for my sake, if nothing else. The kid has amazing upside, he played half his rookie year because of VoldeJOB, played a lockout season this year. Give him this contract year to show that he's really improving. Even if we DO trade PG for EJ, imagine if EJ sits on the bench for 50+ games, and PG immediately turns into "That Guy". I would never stop telling everyone that I told you so.

Really?
06-28-2012, 04:55 PM
The only question marks on Eric Gordon are injury related. Are they big questions? Sure. However, there are no questions about his game. I will take the guy who may or may not be injury prone but can really, really play over the guy who thus far has been healthy but we don't really know if he'll ever be nearly as good.

Obviously, moving Granger would be the preference but they'd want at least George. And you have to make that move if it is available.

You have to also think about the money factor when talking about Gordon for PG, big difference, and at the rate that things are going PG will be in no situation to ask for a max contract in 2 years, but he has potential to get there years down the road, better financially I think.

Eleazar
06-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Is it possible to do a sign and trade with Barbosa for Gordon, plus add in another player like Hansbrough or Collison?

Really?
06-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Is it possible to do a sign and trade with Barbosa for Gordon, plus add in another player like Hansbrough or Collison?

Maybe on Pluto...

cdash
06-28-2012, 05:05 PM

I don't think New Orleans would have any interest at all in Barbosa. Collison or Tyler I could see, but if we want Gordon, we are going to have to a) pay him a king's ransom b) ship out Paul George in a sign and trade or c) wait a year until EJ is a restricted free agent.

bballpacen
06-28-2012, 05:23 PM
I don't think New Orleans would have any interest at all in Barbosa. Collison or Tyler I could see, but if we want Gordon, we are going to have to a) pay him a king's ransom b) ship out Paul George in a sign and trade or c) wait a year until EJ is a restricted free agent.He will be an unrestricted FA next year if he does has to settle for the QO...

cdash
06-28-2012, 05:25 PM
He will be an unrestricted FA next year if he does has to settle for the QO...

Yep, exactly. It's a gamble on his part.

Gamble1
06-28-2012, 05:27 PM
Yep, exactly. It's a gamble on his part.

NOt much of a gamble if he doesn't have a career ending injury. Almost anyone would give him a decent contract even if he had another set back as long as it wasn't a ACL or microfracture surgery.

cdash
06-28-2012, 05:28 PM
NOt much of a gamble if he doesn't have a career ending injury. Almost anyone would give him a decent contract even if he had another set back as long as it wasn't a ACL or microfracture surgery.

He has shown himself to be fairly injury prone thus far--if he had another year of nagging injuries that limited him to 30 or so games, it might be the final straw for some teams, although I'm sure someone would still pony up big money for him.

Slick Pinkham
06-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Driving to lunch today, I think it was ESPN radio that played a 20 second quote from Hornets coach Monty Williams today.

He was asked if adding Anthony Davis and another lottery player obtained with the #10 pick would make the Hornets a contender.

Paraphrasing, he said that he thought it was too much to expect for rookies, however talented, to come in and turn around a team. He said "Eric Gordon is our best player" and then said that the Hornets would add to that, and all of us will see the results together. He was excited to see how some new talent will mesh with Eric, his best player.

Sounds like the coach is not regarding Eric as expendable in the very least. Of course Eric has to want to stay there, but his coach seemed very willing to show him some love (and possibly $$$$$$$$s)

Gamble1
06-28-2012, 05:37 PM
Driving to lunch today, I think it was ESPN radio that played a 20 second quote from Hornets coach Monty Williams today.

He was asked if adding Anthony Davis and another lottery player obtained with the #10 pick would make the Hornets a contender.

Paraphrasing, he said that he thought it was too much to expect for rookies, however talented, to come in and turn around a team. He said "Eric Gordon is our best player" and then said that the Hornets would add to that, and all of us will see the results together. He was excited to see how some new talent will mesh with Eric, his best player.

Sounds like the coach is not regarding Eric as expendable in the very least. Of course Eric has to want to stay there, but his coach seemed very willing to show him some love (and possibly $$$$$$$$s)

I would be concerned about the owner and his willingness to spend the cash than the coach who just wants to keep his job.

At this point I would give up Paul George for Eric Gordon simply because I don't think PG will ever have the handles to be an top tier sg or sf.

PacersPride
06-28-2012, 06:57 PM
I would be concerned about the owner and his willingness to spend the cash than the coach who just wants to keep his job.

At this point I would give up Paul George for Eric Gordon simply because I don't think PG will ever have the handles to be an top tier sg or sf.

paul george is only 21 or so. way too early to say something like that. reggie miller never had superior dribbling skills either. plus he will likely be a sf, i dont think there is much question about that. may be another 2-3 seasons though.

big Gordon fan. but injury prone.

for all you even dreaming of this scenario. WHAT IS GORDON WORTH?

no way we pay him even near a max.

gummy
06-28-2012, 07:34 PM
NO has extended the qualifying offer, which officially makes Eric a RFA.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8109312/new-orleans-hornets-extend-qualifying-offer-guard-eric-gordon (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8109312/new-orleans-hornets-extend-qualifying-offer-guard-eric-gordon)

Pacers
06-28-2012, 08:21 PM
Sorry if this has been mentioned, but why not just sign Gordon to a poison-pill contract, where he gets a 1 billion dollar bonus if he plays more than 10 games a year in New Orleans, or something? It has happened in the NFL.

2minutes twoa
06-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Could PJ3, DC and Tyler be enough to get EJ? Maybe a future pick thrown in? Hmmm....

Shabazz
06-28-2012, 11:04 PM
The Hornets selected Austin Rivers as their PG of the future.

A little background here... Rivers is not a PG. He refused to pass to open guards at Duke last year, causing massive locker room turmoil. You think they lost in the first round to Lehigh because Lehigh had more talent?

I wonder how Eric Gordon feels about playing with a PG that will not pass him the ball?

pwee31
06-28-2012, 11:43 PM
Only way you get Eric Gordon is if he maneuvers his way out by not wanting to sign a long term deal with the Hornets. He would really need to make them think he doesn't want to be there long term, to force a sign and trade. I unfortunately don't see that happening and with the Ariza and Okafor trade, they can pretty much match anything and not have to worry about big contracts for Rivers and Davis for awhile