PDA

View Full Version : Larry Birdís forgotten track record with the Pacers

90'sNBARocked
06-28-2012, 12:42 AM
http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/06/27/larry-birds-forgotten-track-record-with-the-pacers/

Larry Bird stepped down as president of the Indiana Pacers today, announcing his decision at Bankers Life Fieldhouse, where there was no shortage of smiles and laughter and jokes and platitudes.

Boy, folks have a short memory nowadays. Or too long of one.

Yes, the Pacers and Bird enjoyed a renaissance this season. The team reached the Eastern Conference semifinals and Bird was named Executive of the Year. It’s interesting how one solid season from an NBA legend obscured a track record of mediocrity that lasted nearly a decade.

Bird was in charge of the Pacers’ personnel decisions for nine years. During that time, the Pacers went from a team that was two wins shy of the NBA Finals to four straight years in the lottery.

There was an ugly brawl in Auburn Hills that scarred the franchise and the NBA forever. There was a falling out with a fan base that saw the Pacers plummet to the bottom of the league in attendance. There were bad guys acquired through bad trades and bad drafts.

There were the first-round selections of David Harrison in 2004 and Shawne Williams in 2006. Harrison was suspended five games for violation of the anti-drug policy, apologized to the team, then maintained the NBA should not be allowed to examine his private life. The best thing that can be said about Williams’ two arrests on drug charges was that the second came after he left the Pacers.

There was the three-year contract given to international curiosity Sarunas Jasikevicius, whom they quickly found out could not get his own shot in the NBA.

There was the 2007 trade of Stephen Jackson, who had to go after the Malice at the Palace and another incident at a nightclub in Indianapolis. But that trade also cost the Pacers a good guy in Al Harrington and brought back the salary cap-killing contracts of lesser players Troy Murphy and Mike Dunleavy.

There was the hiring of Jim O’Brien, who already had flamed out in Boston and Philadelphia and somehow received a contract extension for – what? Consecutive lottery appearances?

There was the standoff with Jamaal Tinsley, who ended up being paid $12 million for playing 39 games over the 2007-08 and 2008-09 seasons.

There was the trade that landed James Posey, who became an amnesty casualty.

And there was a four-year stretch from 2007-10 where the Pacers finished no higher than 27th in attendance while missing the playoffs each season. The hapless New York Knicks were the only other Eastern Conference team that missed the postseason each of those years.

There were some smarter moves lately. The deal to acquire Posey also landed Darren Collison. Tyler Hansbrough and Paul George were plucked in the draft. George Hill arrived via a draft day trade. Frank Vogel was retained as coach, a risky move that has paid dividends. And with significant cap room for the first time in years, the Pacers landed David West in free agency.

But the fact reamins that Bird’s entire body of work as an executive was subpar.

Maybe we’re raining on the parade, but it seems like Bird is getting a bit of a pass from the rest of the media because he is part of the NBA’s holy trinity, along with Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan. They are a huge reason why the league remains popular years after they hung up their kicks.

Maybe the rest of the media should remember that Johnson was a lousy coach (and only an ordinary analyst) and Jordan has been a bad executive. Along with Bird, they’re not playing anymore. Their MVP awards and championship rings don’t count. The jobs they took after their playing days have different standards of excellence.

And often, they have not met them.

Bball
06-28-2012, 01:38 AM
Hmmmmm... Needed fixing...

Bird was in charge of the Pacersí personnel decisions for nine years. During that time, the Pacers went from a team that was two wins shy of the NBA Finals to four straight years in the lottery. Meanwhile, during the worst parts of this period Donnie Walsh was locked in a closet in Conseco Fieldhouse in order for Bird to run the franchise into the ground. Inexplicably, things only began to turn around for the Pacers after Walsh was released from his shackles and fled to New York. This in no way should be construed as a signal of who was running things prior to Walsh's departure or that 2 heads were not actually better than one.

Heisenberg
06-28-2012, 01:46 AM
betcha this thread gets stupid!

these kinda national run (if Sheridan's site qualifies) stories just show you the value of these kind of articles. I'm not saying I disagree or anything, I'm just saying you can't just read a list of Larry's moves and say "ok, not bad," or "stupid," or "steal." Really does seem like that's what happened here. Most of us know the ins and outs of why and how the moves happened, whether we thought they were good or not. There're so many mitigating factors that go into NBA personnel that just gets lost in a hindsight spreadsheet.

Can't really complain I guess, is what it is, just glad the NBA has the most (far as I can tell) active team specific forum/site/whatever "network." Like if I want some real in depth stuff on Kevin Pritchard and why he did this or that I'm not going to anywhere but BlazersEdge, same way as if anyone actually cared about the context of this article should come here.

I like Chris Sheridan, I immensely respect him for leaving ESPN, but the guy just needs to use his pull to become an aggregator.

CJ Jones
06-28-2012, 01:46 AM
Yeah... re upping JOB sucked, but the rest of this article is BS.

SycamoreKen
06-28-2012, 02:39 AM
If the first thing on the list doesn't happen then none of the rest does. The only thing that comes close to affecting an organization as much as that one event affected this one was Len Bias, and to some extent Reggie Lewis, with the Celtics.

Cactus Jax
06-28-2012, 02:53 AM
Uhh, James Posey really? The fact that he took Murphy and turned him into Collison was well worth Posey, I didn't read the little part where he mentions the good about it till the 2nd time.

Cactus Jax
06-28-2012, 02:57 AM
And while David Harrison wasn't worth it in the end, I believe he was the last pick in a first round, not like a top 10-15 guy, so it shouldn't be resume bashing to bring that up.

presto123
06-28-2012, 04:47 AM
Sure Larry is over-rated but he did a lot of good stuff recently. Would still rather trust Pritchard to steer the ship.

vnzla81
06-28-2012, 04:57 AM
Yep I agree with the guy, Larry got lucky this year in so many ways making him look good, I'm glad he is gone.

And before anybody tries to crucifixe me this is my opinion so back off.

xBulletproof
06-28-2012, 05:26 AM
Yep I agree with the guy, Larry got lucky this year in so many ways making him look good, I'm glad he is gone.

Everything you type on here is your opinion. Why do people think if they suddenly say that, that it somehow makes them immune to criticisms? I have never understood this.

vnzla81
06-28-2012, 05:41 AM
Everything you type on here is your opinion. Why do people think if they suddenly say that, that it somehow makes them immune to criticisms? I have never understood this.

Me neither but some people get sensitive around here if I don't say that that's my opinion, they would high jack the thread if I don't tell them to back off and that what I'm posting is my opinion, hopefully it works this time.

clownskull
06-28-2012, 06:45 AM
this was a very lazy article. i swear i remember reading (on here i believe) from boyle that larry had input but walsh had FINAL say on everything. donnie got us the tinsley contract and bender too. murphleavey anyone? we were only able to rid ourselves of the j.o. contract after donnie was gone too.
what this article and those who chose to hate bird for all things (real or perceived) fail to recognize is that larry spent years cleaning up a mess that was largely donnie's making.
was larry perfect? of course not but he was definitely a much better than sub-par gm as this crap article tries to make a case for.

Sollozzo
06-28-2012, 07:12 AM

So when moves didn't work out for us, it's because Bird sucks.....but when we have a good season it's because Bird got "lucky" and has nothing to do with the skill Bird used in getting the players that produced this season?

When Pritchard/Walsh make a good move, will you just attribute that to "luck" also?

5_7_Clash
06-28-2012, 07:28 AM
Bird was in charge of the Pacers’ personnel decisions for nine years. During that time, the Pacers went from a team that was two wins shy of the NBA Finals to four straight years in the lottery.

There was an ugly brawl in Auburn Hills that scarred the franchise and the NBA forever. There was a falling out with a fan base that saw the Pacers plummet to the bottom of the league in attendance. There were bad guys acquired through bad trades and bad drafts.

This is all you need to evaluate the purpose of this article. I think this is trying to play point-counterpoint by listing Bird's "mistakes" but the fact that he begins by inferring that Larry Bird somehow had something to do with the brawl and the subsequent immediate fallout is completely absurd.
I'm not going to sit here and say that Bird didn't make a single bad decision during his time in the FO because even the most staunch Larry fan knows that's not true. However, unlike Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan (so far), Larry Bird learned from his mistakes and became a savvy executive that got this team turned around. Even the most staunch Larry critic knows this is true.
I would venture a guess that Larry's critics on here didn't like his tenure as Pres. because he didn't move fast enough, didn't make big deals for big names, wasn't an "exciting" exec and maybe to some degrees, they have a point. But, IMO, it's not the platform on which he should be judged. His approach got us to where we are today, mistakes and all. He said he'd get the team turned around and he did.
And taking an article like this as the only gospel about the time that Larry spent with the Pacers FO is unfair and we all know it.

Sandman21
06-28-2012, 08:11 AM
Sheridan himself didn't write the article.

Speed
06-28-2012, 08:58 AM
On a side note, I was trying to figure out where to put this. Pritchard was on with Dakich yesterday and Dan asked him what its like to work with Larry.

KP goes.. you know that commercial on TV where its the World's most interesting man... Well Larry is like the Country version of that.

Very clever, I thought, ya I could see that.

Hicks
06-28-2012, 10:33 AM
Makes me wonder just how misinformed I am when I trust a non-local media outlet to inform me about what happened to somebody else's franchise...

Major Cold
06-28-2012, 11:00 AM
Sheridan is clueless in more than just this. He is promoting his website more than covering basketball.

Mac_Daddy
06-28-2012, 11:03 AM
I can't wait to see the article written about Jordan when he finally realizes that he needs to fire himself.

vnzla81
06-28-2012, 11:14 AM
So when moves didn't work out for us, it's because Bird sucks.....but when we have a good season it's because Bird got "lucky" and has nothing to do with the skill Bird used in getting the players that produced this season?

When Pritchard/Walsh make a good move, will you just attribute that to "luck" also?

Larry's track record at least to me until this year was horrible, he got lucky in many things, he got lucky with Vogel, he got lucky with West, he got lucky that Howard got hurt, he got lucky that Bosh got hurt, many things when the Pacers way to make this past season a "successfull season".

Sandman21
06-28-2012, 11:20 AM
:rolleyes:

PacersPride
06-28-2012, 11:40 AM

please elaborate on how Legend got lucky.???

ejwallace
06-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Larry's track record at least to me until this year was horrible, he got lucky in many things, he got lucky with Vogel, he got lucky with West, he got lucky that Howard got hurt, he got lucky that Bosh got hurt, many things when the Pacers way to make this past season a "successfull season".

The things that you are referring to as lucky are not luck at all, they are the way the NBA works.

Vogel was an assistant that sat in as interim and then landed the job based off of the record he had during that time....Not luck, proven track record. If he wouldn't have worked out we would've gone a different route....I think I see Shaw sitting on the bench right beside Frank....Isn't he about ready for his shot at a head coaching job yet??

West...Do you not remember that Boston wanted him, and he chose us due to how "deep" the team is?? Is that luck, or the fact that we had a team that he fit well into making it more enticing for him to come here? That is a benefit to the time and devotion to rebuild and restructure....Not luck...

Howard and Bosh getting hurt, while we may have benefited from those specific injuries, could you not say that EVERY team in the playoffs benefitted from those injuries?? How many players went down throughout the season?? I am sure that the Bulls would've given everyone some issues if they had D.Rose...

If you want to get technical, Larry was named Executive of the year on May 16th...3 days after Bosh got injured. The voting was done prior to the announcement, and the Heat series was barely started....only at game 2 by the time the award was given.

The article below is just a piece of trash journalism trying to get site hits and nothing more....They don't give executive of the year based on luck....That title is earned....Just my 2 cents

PacersPride
06-28-2012, 11:46 AM
who the h*ll wanted to coach this team after SVG rejected us. i wish folks had a clue before they open their piehole sometimes.

maybe i should become a national writer. i know more than most of those jackwagons.

for example, i had the balls to predict Bird would win Exec of the year right after Obrien was let go 2 seasons ago. so this Sheridian can suck it.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?62609-Going-on-record-PacerNation-Bird-will-win-GM-of-the-Year-Award

mildlysane
06-28-2012, 11:49 AM

How do you think we got to the position to have a "lucky" year? Did we "luck out" there too?

Sollozzo
06-28-2012, 11:57 AM

You always harp that we should have traded the big contracts, yet I'm pretty sure that we traded the biggest one in Murphy for a promising young PG. So is your whole beef with him because he couldn't dump Dun and Ford on someone? Him trading Murphy showed he wanted to trade those big contracts if he got something in return. But a Murphy for Collison type trade doesn't come along every day. Most of the time you try to trade guys like Ford or Dun, you are likely going to have to take some expensive crap back or at least give up some picks like Walsh did in NY when he was cleaning their roster out.

He didn't get "lucky" with West, he instead made his own luck. He was patient in clearing the cap space and letting most of the contracts expire as opposed to panicking and trading Dun/Ford for some other expensive crap that likely would have cost us draft picks and not helped much anyway. Bird was able to sign West because he put himself in the position to successfully sign an impact free agent by making smart moves and not panicking by the pulling the trigger on a move that would have given us another expensive player who would have a longer contract than Dun/Ford.

I'm not saying that people should think he's the greatest GM ever, but it really does boggle my mind how some on this forum can't give him even the slightest bit of credit.

Pacers roster in 07-08 when Walsh left: Daniels, Diener, Diogu, Dunleavy, Foster, Graham, Granger, Harrison, Murphy, Murray, O'Neal, Owens, Kareem Rush, Sims, Tinsley, Williams

Pacers roster in 11-12 after Bird had complete control for four years: Collison, George, Granger, Hansbrough, Hibbert, Hill, Jones, West, Pendergraph, Price, Lou, Stephenson

Which is better? Anyone? If he achieved that sort of roster improvement out of pure "luck", then imagine how great we could have been if he was actually good at his job. Maybe we could have been defending NBA champs or something.

PacersPride
06-28-2012, 12:01 PM

1) lucky with vogel - he also brought in brian shaw to be vogels right hand man.. i guess bird got "lucky" jackson retired right.
2) birds patience not luck landed west

the rest of your synopsis is purely garbage.

WhoLovesYaBaby?
06-28-2012, 01:34 PM
More to the OP:

Bird's early record was lacking to be sure. All of those things are quite true. Good thing Bird realized it, although publicly never admitted it. He did right the poor decisions but it took 4 years. I believe he realized after aquiring the horrible contracts of Murphy and Dunleavy, that he had really screwed the franchise for two bench players with bloated contracts. Then he pulls the miracle deal of Murphy for Collison.

I rate Birds performance as a C overall.

aaronb
06-28-2012, 01:35 PM
He built a team with no stars and a glass ceiling. Yet he was able to build some depth that really helped out during a compressed schedule.

For all the fawning we do over this current roster. It's still a 45-47 win team MAX during a regular NBA season.

Unfortunately we are right back where we were more or less before. Too good to get help in the draft, not good enough to win anything.

PacersPride
06-28-2012, 02:19 PM
He built a team with no stars and a glass ceiling. Yet he was able to build some depth that really helped out during a compressed schedule.

For all the fawning we do over this current roster. It's still a 45-47 win team MAX during a regular NBA season.

Unfortunately we are right back where we were more or less before. Too good to get help in the draft, not good enough to win anything.

ya im not sure what Bird was thinking.. why didnt he just pull up to Mickey D's one day and order a superstar.. its so easy ya know. or better yet call up David Stern and ask him to rigg the lottery.. and net us a Derick Rose type of player.

he built is your first sentence.. how bout taking a look at the team he inherited from Walsh.. that 2008 team sucked. go back and read the other post about 2008 roster to what it is now.

if there were not a superteam like miami.. this franchise very well could have made the NBA finals this season.

im guessing your answer to getting a star is tanking... fyi not all lottery picks turn out to be all stars.. do you need evidence.

moreover.. this team won 45+ games this year or woulda in an 82 game season.

how is it that the max is 45 wins. will hibbert not get any better if resigned. what about paul george improving. or the fact this team did not even have a training camp and so many new players.

i would love to place a bet on this teams current roster winning 50 next year. please explain to me how we are a max 45 win team.

pacer4ever
06-28-2012, 02:24 PM

Kevin Pritchard did say yesterday he though we overachieved last year due to the season and what not. I really do agree and glad the FO views it that way and not saying we have a good team ready to win a title.

vnzla81
06-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Kevin Pritchard did say yesterday he though we overachieved last year due to the season and what not. I really do agree and glad the FO views it that way and not saying we have a good team ready to win a title.

I'm glad to know that.

aaronb
06-28-2012, 03:29 PM
He could have improved his chances to land that star if he didn't insist on trying to strive for 30 something wins every single year. If he would have gutted the roster and bottomed out like many of us wanted. Then he would have had a much better opportunity to draft that elusive star.

And by building....do you mean stand pat and draft a guy each year? Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I did like the moves he made last offseason, and the Barbosa deal. However 1 solid year shouldn't absolve him from the "work" he did from 2003-2011.

90'sNBARocked
06-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Me neither but some people get sensitive around here if I don't say that that's my opinion, they would high jack the thread if I don't tell them to back off and that what I'm posting is my opinion, hopefully it works this time.

Lets jut all jump VNZLA :)

Dont worry my man

Whats right aint always popular, whats popular aint always right

Bird has done some good things but he has done some poor things as well

To me, by FAR the biggest mistake made was not giving OBIE the AXE after his second year

Eleazar
06-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Harrison may not have worked out, but he was what the last pick or second to last pick in the first round. Talent wise he was a steal at that position, but there was a reason he dropped that far. He had some serious question marks about his work ethic and drive, but he was worth the risk that late in the first round. The risk didn't pay off, but it was worth it.

90'sNBARocked
06-28-2012, 04:45 PM

VNZLA

Luv ya fam, I do but stop with the "Lucky"

Luck didnt deliver David West. A solid approach , good sales job and great display of vision sold David West

90'sNBARocked
06-28-2012, 04:46 PM
LMAO

VNZLA started a riot :)

The new Tu Pac of PD, I give you VNZLA :)

Sollozzo
06-28-2012, 04:48 PM
He could have improved his chances to land that star if he didn't insist on trying to strive for 30 something wins every single year. If he would have gutted the roster and bottomed out like many of us wanted. Then he would have had a much better opportunity to draft that elusive star.

And by building....do you mean stand pat and draft a guy each year? Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I did like the moves he made last offseason, and the Barbosa deal. However 1 solid year shouldn't absolve him from the "work" he did from 2003-2011.

Yeah, if only we had tanked in 09-10. Then maybe we could have had Wesley Johnson or Ekpe Udoh instead of Paul George. Imagine the drastically different place our franchise would be in.

xBulletproof
06-28-2012, 04:54 PM
The new Tu Pac of PD, I give you VNZLA :)

I'm going with Ja Rule.

He couldn't handle getting shot. ;)

vnzla81
06-28-2012, 05:45 PM
VNZLA

Luv ya fam, I do but stop with the "Lucky"

Luck didnt deliver David West. A solid approach , good sales job and great display of vision sold David West

I meant him staying healthy, not even his biggest fans expected that to happen and yes we were lucky ;)

PacersPride
06-28-2012, 06:42 PM

strive for 30 wins. see this is the flaw in your logic. you believe Larry Legend was striving for 30 wins. An nba champion. i would venture to say Bird was striving for the playoffs.

how do you gut the roster??? last i checked nba contracts are guaranteed. we cannot cut tinsley, murphy, dunleavy, tj ford players.

"Even a broken clock is right twice a day" which so far is two more than you.

stand pat.? who wanted any of the players from the 2008 roster other than Granger. what big move did you want Bird to make with the cards dealt when he took over as the GM.?

murphy, dunleavy, nesterovich... other than JO we did not have any marketable assets.

aaronb, please consider this okay. Walsh having final say on all trades etc from 03 to 08. only judge Bird as a GM who was hired on as Walsh's replacement in 08.

go back and look at the roster Bird begun his tenure as President of Basketball Operations.

1) you have suggestted tanking. how do you tank just outright lose. ya you think fan attendance was bad at half full. all to get the next elusive star. when that is no gaurantee. what if we tank and take the hometown kid Greg Oden?? then what. gutting the roster makes no sense. esp when there are no marketable assets.

2) standing pat. again pretty much see 1. but with the only somewhat marketatble assets, JO into Hibbert, Nesto, TJ - and Ford at the time was needed, Nesto's 10 M contract expired that season. 3 needs were met on this one deal. young prospect, saving 10M, and a pg; plus getting rid of a broken down JO and his max salary.

do i need to go into the Murphy deal. and it was rumored Dunleavy was on his way to NO's for Landry before Dun goes down before deadline.

3) next will be the JOB hiring. no one wanted to coach here. again see 1. which pretty much summarizes the extension.

you credit 03-11 all to Bird. Donnie Walsh was Birds puppett from day one ?????

aaronb
06-29-2012, 10:39 AM
strive for 30 wins. see this is the flaw in your logic. you believe Larry Legend was striving for 30 wins. An nba champion. i would venture to say Bird was striving for the playoffs.

how do you gut the roster??? last i checked nba contracts are guaranteed. we cannot cut tinsley, murphy, dunleavy, tj ford players.

"Even a broken clock is right twice a day" which so far is two more than you.

stand pat.? who wanted any of the players from the 2008 roster other than Granger. what big move did you want Bird to make with the cards dealt when he took over as the GM.?

murphy, dunleavy, nesterovich... other than JO we did not have any marketable assets.

aaronb, please consider this okay. Walsh having final say on all trades etc from 03 to 08. only judge Bird as a GM who was hired on as Walsh's replacement in 08.

go back and look at the roster Bird begun his tenure as President of Basketball Operations.

1) you have suggestted tanking. how do you tank just outright lose. ya you think fan attendance was bad at half full. all to get the next elusive star. when that is no gaurantee. what if we tank and take the hometown kid Greg Oden?? then what. gutting the roster makes no sense. esp when there are no marketable assets.

2) standing pat. again pretty much see 1. but with the only somewhat marketatble assets, JO into Hibbert, Nesto, TJ - and Ford at the time was needed, Nesto's 10 M contract expired that season. 3 needs were met on this one deal. young prospect, saving 10M, and a pg; plus getting rid of a broken down JO and his max salary.

do i need to go into the Murphy deal. and it was rumored Dunleavy was on his way to NO's for Landry before Dun goes down before deadline.

3) next will be the JOB hiring. no one wanted to coach here. again see 1. which pretty much summarizes the extension.

you credit 03-11 all to Bird. Donnie Walsh was Birds puppett from day one ?????

If he was striving for the playoffs with that ****** roster. Then he was and has always been a fool. The ultimate job description for a team President is to look out of the best long term interest of the franchise. Not to do whatever needed to win an extra game in any given season.

I'm sure Larry is a good guy. I'm sure he was well liked by ownership.

But his tenure has to be considered sub par. Especially on the heels of the huge success that Walsh had before him.

Hicks
06-29-2012, 12:19 PM
I meant him staying healthy, not even his biggest fans expected that to happen and yes we were lucky ;)

Uh, no. There was no mythical unanimous expectation of West going down with another injury.

90'sNBARocked
06-29-2012, 03:15 PM
I'm going with Ja Rule.

He couldn't handle getting shot. ;)

Only a guy named "bulletproof" could come up wiht that one :)

had me crackin up brah

90'sNBARocked
06-29-2012, 03:17 PM

Lucky west was healthy?

again bro, not lucky. Im sure he went through a very through and tedius exam by our medical staff and the determined the risk to be minimal and worth signing

You could use the "luck" tag for any player that didnt get injured