PDA

View Full Version : Pacers Press Conference set for 11AM Wednesday June 27 2012

Pages : [1] 2

Hicks
06-26-2012, 04:38 PM
I'm sure this has already been brought up in the other thread, but I wanted to give it a spotlight in case some of you might not catch it.

Pacers.com is supposed to stream it live.

Presumably this will include Bird leaving and Walsh returning and according to Wells Kevin Pritchard becoming GM as well.

xBulletproof
06-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Pritchard being GM, does that make Pritchard or Walsh the decision maker?

xIndyFan
06-26-2012, 04:58 PM

bird was the president of basketball operations and morway was the GM. if they stick to the same scheme, donnie.

tadscout
06-26-2012, 05:04 PM

My dad has been listening to the radio today, and he has heard 3 ppl say all different things... From the sounds of it nobody really knows till the press conference.

gummy
06-26-2012, 05:09 PM
My dad has been listening to the radio today, and he has heard 3 ppl say all different things... From the sounds of it nobody really knows till the press conference.

It wouldn't surprise me if we still don't know after the press conference. We'll know who is coming and who is going (Morways resignation was just announced on FB a few minutes ago) but not necessarily how everything will work together. :/

Heisenberg
06-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Figured this would fit best here, it's Morway's statement
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/morway-resigns-general-manager

"I've had a terrific 13-plus years with the franchise," said Morway. "The performance of this year's team both on and off the court was incredibly rewarding. To experience Bankers Life Fieldhouse full to the rafters again, with an energy reminiscent of the late 90s, and to see our fan base re-engaged and proud made it all worthwhile.

"While I deeply care about this franchise, sometimes change is important for everyone concerned. For the past year I have carefully and thoughtfully considered my personal, family and professional goals. After discussing all of these issues with our owner, Herb Simon, and Larry (Bird, President of Basketball Operations), I believe this is the right time to step away.

"I want to thank Mr. Simon, Larry, (former team president) Donnie Walsh and (team president) Jim Morris for the opportunity they gave me and the friendship and mentorship they provided. I also want to thank everyone associated with the franchise, including all of the players, our coaches and our terrific staff as well as the Indianapolis community and all of our fans for giving me and my family the opportunity to be part of Pacers' basketball for the last 13-plus years."

"We are very appreciative of Davidís efforts the entire time he has been here," said Simon. "His work ethic and dedication to making this franchise better was unwavering through many good times and some difficult times. Whatever direction his professional future takes him, Iím certain he will have success and a positive impact."

Sollozzo
06-26-2012, 05:10 PM

Who knows. It's going to be like 03-08 where we will be debating who ultimately pulled the trigger every time a move is made.

Hicks
06-26-2012, 05:11 PM
The stream is supposed to appear at this link tomorrow:

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/press-conference-june-27-2012

Hicks
06-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Who knows. It's going to be like 03-08 where we will be debating who ultimately pulled the trigger every time a move is made.

:sigh: Yeah.

Naptown_Seth
06-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Figured this would fit best here, it's Morway's statement
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/morway-resigns-general-manager
Finally. Obviously it's all standard PR speak, but at least its official one way or the other.

The presser tomorrow for Walsh with Pritchard as key talent evaluator completes it. I think things will be fine with those 2 running the show.

Clearly Bird was never on the same page with Donnie and appears to have not agreed with Morway at times either.

Basketball Fan
06-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the heads up I'll have to watch it online after work.

Trophy
06-26-2012, 06:46 PM

I would have to think Pritchard will be the one calling the shots, talking to the media, holding press conferences, etc. Doing what he did with Portland and what Bird did here except hold the "general manager" title.

We shall see though...

Bball
06-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Donnie Walsh is not coming back to be "Grampa Donnie" and hang out with Boomer.

He'll cast a large shadow over the organization.

Anyone who thinks Bird has been conservative must have an awfully short reference point.

Walsh will not make substantive moves until a problem has grown so bad he has no choice.

Absolutely a horribly timed move for the Pacers to go back to Donnie Do Nothing Walsh when the team clearly needed to make some bold moves to take another step forward. Consider this the same as a parachute on a top fuel dragster opening.

Hicks
06-26-2012, 07:33 PM

Anyone who thinks Bird has been conservative must have an awfully short reference point.

Walsh will not make substantive moves until a problem has grown so bad he has no choice.

Absolutely a horribly timed move for the Pacers to go back to Donnie Do Nothing Walsh when the team clearly needed to make some bold moves to take another step forward. Consider this the same as a parachute on a top fuel dragster opening.

This is what I'm afraid of, but at the same time Kevin Pritchard is so known for being aggressive that I have to imagine something has to give relatively quickly on this front.

ndcoltsnpacers
06-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Who doesn't love these press conferences? What are the odds of Larry shedding a couple tears and saying "I have truly enjoyed being your president"?

Cubs231721
06-26-2012, 08:32 PM

I'm not completely sure I agree with that reputation of Walsh's. It always seemed to me he was open to making controversial trades. Schrempf-McKey. Dampier-Mullin. Davis-Bender. Davis-O'Neal. Rose-Artest/Miller. Mark Jackson involved in 3 trades in the span of 3 years. While he seemed to hate to lose his core players to free agency, he was not afraid at all of trading them. And while the last several years in Indiana seemed to be one bad move after another, once he got to New York he figured out a plan and made the moves necessary to execute it, pulled the trigger on Stoudemire and was getting closer to doing so on Carmelo (although he wouldn't have paid as much as the Knicks ultimately did).

I don't think Walsh is a gunslinger type, but I don't think he sits on his hands either. Of course, while it's likely that Walsh is going to be the #1 guy, it's unknown right now how hands on he is going to be anyway. He may just be casting a vision/setting budgets for the team and giving Pritchard a decent amount of leeway on personnel to make that happen. Or he could be signing off on every move. I'm not sure how much we'll ever know how much control Walsh has other than (if he is the president) knowing that he has the final say on a move if he wants it.

*astrisk*
06-26-2012, 08:52 PM
Donnie Walsh is a shrewd capmaster who really has been only limited by his ownership... Here is a VERY good read concerning his tenure in New York!

http://www.thefastbreakonlineblog.net/2012/01/impact-of-donnie-walshs-time-with-new.html

The Impact of Donnie Walsh's Time With The New York Knicks

~ The Knicks are clearly missing someone right now.

It's not Carmelo Anthony and it's not Baron Davis or any other point guard for that matter either. This team spent the last four years putting themselves in position to finally contend for an NBA title.

There was one man responsible for that movement and his name is Donnie Walsh.

It was Walsh who stepped into a position that seemed impossible to succeed at and managed to do just that. In a very short period of time he cleared out the financial mess that was created by the people there before him and then piece by piece restored it's foundation with credibility.

However, Walsh also had to deal with the enigma that is the owner of the Knicks, James Dolan. Dolan was enough to eventually help Walsh conclude that his time as the team's president of basketball operations would be coming to an end. It's safe to conclude that since his departure, the Knicks have not been the team we all were expecting to see. However their beginning to look more like the team that fans wanted so badly to forget, Pre-Donnie Walsh.

It was Walsh who hired Mike D'Antoni, and looking back on that, maybe that wasn't the best of moves (Insert Sarcasm Here). However it was Walsh who's mastery of the salary cap helped secure the signing of Amar'e Stoudemire and it was Walsh who put the pieces in place to trade for Carmelo Anthony.

The Anthony trade is a hot topic these days because the case can be made that it's also why the Knicks are struggling so much right now. It was Dolan who reportedly wanted Anthony at whatever cost, much to the disagreement of Walsh. While Anthony's arrival to New York gave the team two top NBA superstars, it also gutted the team of any depth that Walsh put together.

Fans will never know if Anthony would have became a Knick for a lower price than what the team paid to get him. What is becoming more obvious by the day is that the Knicks can't succeed without a true point guard to orchestrate the Anthony-Stoudemire attack. The team now is forced to wait for an injured Davis to get back into good enough shape to play for them. It's reasonable to conclude that Walsh would have had a better plan in place to address that situation.

D'Antoni's job security is extremely fragile right now and Dolan not showing his hand to anyone doesn't help his chances either. The team's current struggles are not all D'Antoni's fault. However, it was Walsh who stepped in though and took some of the heat off of him in the past. In the final year of his contract, D'Antoni is quickly reaching lame-duck status in his position as head coach ...without Walsh to step in this time.

Donnie Walsh is well-respected around the NBA for being smart enough to know when to bet big and when to walk away. He should be proud of the job he did in such a short amount of time. I guess he knew that he did all he could in New York before it was time to walk away. Unfortunately for the Knicks and their fans, the impact of his departure is being painfully felt right now.

Seems pretty obvious to me, with Donnie at the reins handling the finances, and Prichard evaluating the talent and making the deals, we will find out pretty quick what Herbie's commitment to a Championship really is...

*astrisk*
06-26-2012, 08:59 PM
And when I say limited by his ownership, I mean, as a company guy he has done what has been needed and only that which his owner has allowed...

Justin Tyme
06-26-2012, 10:05 PM

He'll cast a large shadow over the organization. .

I said basically the same thing in another thread. Walsh isn't going to be 2nd banana to anyone. Top banana or nothing as he's been the decision maker for the last 20 plus years.

He's Simon's man, friend, and security blanket.

Bball
06-26-2012, 10:52 PM
This is what I'm afraid of, but at the same time Kevin Pritchard is so known for being aggressive that I have to imagine something has to give relatively quickly on this front.

What I expect to give is a frustrated Pritchard leaving the team at some point within the next season or two.

pwee31
06-26-2012, 11:06 PM
At bottom of ESPN it stated Walsh wouldn't join the organization until Sunday when free agency starts? So that would leave me to believe Pritchard will be running the show draft night

CableKC
06-27-2012, 01:16 AM
From what we know of....it appears that both KP and Walsh have a good working relationship....but given KP's tendency to butt heads when he doesn't meet "eye to eye" with someone higher in the food chain....I'm concerned about the "2 headed Monster" that we all feared.

I would have been more comfortable if DW brought in his own GM so that we know that there will be ( as Seth mentioned in another thread ) a clear cut "chain of command" where we know that the President and GM would likely see "eye to eye".

Remember......KP WAS NOT Walsh's pick for GM but likely a GM that he inherited. We all know that both Bird and KP shared the same vision and trusted each other....but I honestly don't know if KP and Walsh share the same vision.

CableKC
06-27-2012, 01:19 AM
What I expect to give is a frustrated Pritchard leaving the team at some point within the next season or two.
I agree....which is why I think that DW should have chosen his own GM instead of inheriting one.

I go back to the ST:TNG analogy where Captain Jellico took over command of the Enterprise. Riker got along great with Picard cuz both saw "eye to eye" on how to run the Enterprise. But when Jellico took over....Riker didn't get along with his new Captain...which eventually led to friction and Riker being relieved of command.

MnvrChvy
06-27-2012, 01:31 AM
I go back to the ST:TNG analogy where Captain Jellico took over ...

Thanked for a Star Trek reference that I actually vaguely remember.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

indygeezer
06-27-2012, 05:37 AM
At bottom of ESPN it stated Walsh wouldn't join the organization until Sunday when free agency starts? So that would leave me to believe Pritchard will be running the show draft night At bottom of ESPN it stated Walsh wouldn't join the organization until Sunday when free agency starts? So that would leave me to believe Pritchard will be running the show draft night

true...his contract with the Knicks is thru the end of the month. I wonder if they can even mention DW or be charged with tampering.

2minutes twoa
06-27-2012, 07:53 AM
Walsh is no slouch! He's the only guy I've ever seen transition a top contending team into a younger top contending while continuing to make the playoffs. In his career overall he has drafted well and made trades when needed. I'm glad to have him back especially alongside Pritchard. I think they will work well together!

Kemo
06-27-2012, 08:15 AM
I wanna say, up untill the last couple of years of Walsh's tenure, I had alot of respect (still do) for him and thought he was good to/for our Pacers franchise ... And as a person, he's a good guy with a good mind for basketball, whom I always rooted for him to succeed wherever he had went after he left the Pacers .... BUT it was his time to go ... plain and simple... His time ran it's course back in 2006/2007

(It's kinda like an out-of-town houseguest whom is an old childhood friend, that you thoroughly enjoyed the first week he was here visiting while having the best time you have had in years. But then , a supposed week-long stay turns into a month and 1/2 ...they ended up running out of money, and is eating you out of house and home not to mention getting on your last nerve with you hardly ever being able to get any "alone time" with your significant other due to this houseguest being like a hemorrhoid... always up your a** and annoying the crap out of you ..)

So YEA.. that being said ... It saddens and disgusts me at the same time, that Donnie left the Pacers in a mess.... Bird comes in does all the hard work busting his backside to get this franchise out of Walsh's mess and back to where the Pacers are set for a great future, with a great core of young players and a couple young vets, a great , promising young coach (all homegrown from within the organization since Bird took over) ....

And good ol' Donnie Walsh get's to sashay right back in to the organization ... to the top spot ..and reap the fruits of not only Bird's labor , but of all the heartache, disappointments and crappy players and crappy basketball that we as fans have had to endure since Walsh was jettisoned from the horrible position he left this franchise in ... ...

Now, as a fan who has had to endure all of this, as well as watch my team become something that is going to be special , it makes me sick to my stomach to now have Bird step down and for them to bring back Walsh because it now makes me VERY wary of not only the future of this organization , but if whether or not the team and players I have grown to love (nohomo) will remain Pacers or get traded off for other players I could give 2 sh**s about to fit "good ol' Donnies's plan" and "vision" .. ... ...

I just feel very torn on this whole issue ....

(kinda like the first example I gave about the childhood friend... well that childhood friend , after 5 years, decides to show up at my doorstep for another "visit" after wearing out his welcome the first time, and almost causing my wife and I to break up from the first time he was here ... I'm like "oh no, not this again" lmao ... )

Jose Slaughter
06-27-2012, 08:37 AM
I'd like to mention, for those that brought up what Walsh did while with the Knicks, it's New York!

I would think a very large percentage of NBA players want to play in the big market or warm weather cities.

Getting Amare & Melo had far less to due with Walsh than it did the city.

Jose Slaughter
06-27-2012, 08:38 AM
[QUOTE=indygeezer;1463892]At bottom of ESPN it stated Walsh wouldn't join the organization until Sunday when free agency starts? So that would leave me to believe Pritchard will be running the show draft night At bottom of ESPN it stated Walsh wouldn't join the organization until Sunday when free agency starts? So that would leave me to believe Pritchard will be running the show draft night

Maybe Bird's here until the end of the month too.

Heisenberg
06-27-2012, 08:52 AM
I'd like to mention, for those that brought up what Walsh did while with the Knicks, it's New York!

I would think a very large percentage of NBA players want to play in the big market or warm weather cities.

Getting Amare & Melo had far less to due with Walsh than it did the city.Having the capspace to get those players had EVERYTHING to do with Walsh.

Tom White
06-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Who doesn't love these press conferences? What are the odds of Larry shedding a couple tears and saying "I have truly enjoyed being your president"?

Thanks. I needed a good chuckle.

The Sleeze
06-27-2012, 10:47 AM
The stream is supposed to appear at this link:

:bump:

PacerPenguins
06-27-2012, 10:48 AM
will some1 plz update me on wat larry says? I'm on vacations and my wifi card can't loss videos... buffers ALOT.

Heisenberg
06-27-2012, 10:50 AM
link's live. there's 4 chairs!

Sandman21
06-27-2012, 10:51 AM
and the back of Wells' head! :D

Trader Joe
06-27-2012, 10:54 AM
link's live. there's 4 chairs!

Simon, Boomer, Bowser Re-Incarnated, and the new mascot, Boober

Hicks
... and they've included a LIVE CHAT on this page. :huh:

Trader Joe
I hope we get one last good Bird to Wells jab.

tadscout
06-27-2012, 10:55 AM
Link not loading for anyone else?

graphic-er
06-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Stream is up. Only media in the room right now.

Sandman21
06-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Boyle picks fight for chair. Wells gives in and lets Mark sit next to him :laugh:.

Inca Street
This link is not loading for me either...

graphic-er
mark boyle has grown out his hair!

Sparhawk
Stream is up. Only media in the room right now.

Yep. I just plan on listening in while I work.

Sparhawk
06-27-2012, 10:59 AM
Pritch, Bird, Simon and Walsh

tadscout
Link not loading for anyone else?

Fixed... if direct link doesn't work go to pacers.com/news and follow that link.

Kraft
On NBA TV.

Trader Joe
06-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Maybe I'm weird, but am I the only one that wishes Pritch and Walsh were sitting next to each other instead of at opposite freaking ends.

Sparhawk
06-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Someone turn the mic on for Walsh.

Trader Joe
06-27-2012, 11:04 AM
The $1 million question to me is which Donnie do we get, the guy who built the 90s Pacers shrewdly and rather deftly accumulated a lot of cap space for a dead in the water Knicks franchise only to have his powers stripped by ownership right as he was starting to build the team, or do we get the Donnie who had become stuck in his ways and complacent at the end of his last Pacers stint? If we get the first Donnie we will be ok, if we get the latter...well...

Sandman21
06-27-2012, 11:05 AM
I think we're seeing the first Donnie.

*astrisk*
06-27-2012, 11:05 AM
Larry... I heard you say well, one of the reasons is health related... Cmon man! Spill the beans!!!

Pacers
06-27-2012, 11:06 AM
Am I the only one not excited to have Donnie Walsh back? I don't like this move at all.

Sandman21
06-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Larry will be back one day. No doubt in my mind.

LG33
06-27-2012, 11:09 AM
I guess we'll be resigning both Hill and Hibbert.

Also, Bird's working the draft.

*astrisk*
So, I guess Herbie said re-sign our guys.. Don't go out and spend. Larry didn't like that answer... Larry Bulls GM next year?

Sandman21
Larry will be doing the draft.

Trader Joe
I'm getting a serious vibe that Walsh is just here to hold down the fort while Larry hopefully gets his health in line. The fact that Larry was so sure he was doing the draft seemed to endorse that to me. I think Larry will be back.

Sandman21
06-27-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm getting a serious vibe that Walsh is just here to hold down the fort while Larry hopefully gets his health in line. The fact that Larry was so sure he was doing the draft seemed to endorse that to me. I think Larry will be back.
Thats what Im getting too. Note Larry dodged Calabro's retirement question.

LG33
06-27-2012, 11:11 AM
BREAKING NEWS: Susy Fischer, Administrative Assistant to Larry Bird, is the real brains of the operation.

Steagles
06-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Good Larry is running the draft.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk

Sparhawk
06-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Lance is still Larry's boy.

Sandman21
Larry will probably be handling Summer League. He'll get to see his boy Lance play every minute or every game. :D

LG33
Larry Bird on Summer League: "I get to see my boy Lance play every minute of every game"

Edit: Too slow.

Unclebuck
Bird seems in a very good mood. Cracking more jokes than normal

Ace E.Anderson
"I get to see my boy Lance play every minute"

Haha Larry Legend

Mackey_Rose
06-27-2012, 11:13 AM
LB is fricking hilarious.

Sandman21
06-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Pritch is blown away by our medical staff. I think that speaks volumes for how crappy Portland's training staff reportedly is.

Sparhawk
06-27-2012, 11:14 AM
They still haven't fixed Walsh's mic. Sheesh.

Speed
So wait, Larry is staying on to do the Summer league, are you kidding me? Sorry not able to listen to it, just reading this thread.

Trader Joe
Bird is killing this interview. Staying around for summer league? I think Larry is happy to get the time off and get his health in line, but I think he'll be back.

It must be good to be king, hand select the group following you, and IMO Larry probably has a come back whenever you want pass waiting on him.

I think this is all about him getting his health in line.

Larry's boy Lance...awesome.

Ace E.Anderson
06-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Good Larry is running the draft.

I think that if we stay at 26, it's now a pretty safe bet that Green is going to be the pick. (Unless someone REALLY good falls to us)

Trader Joe
So wait, Larry is staying on to do the Summer league, are you kidding me?

I think this is all health. Isn't his surgery in July? he's hanging on til the last moment. If he is healthy next summer I think he'll be back

PR07
They need to turn the mic up on Donnie Walsh.

Sounds like health is the driving force behind Bird leaving, change of scenery, but we'll probably truly never know the other ones.

*astrisk*
Does anyone else believe that KPs shout out to Medical staff, was really a press conference sell job to Brandon Roy?

Bball
BREAKING NEWS: Susy Fischer, Administrative Assistant to Larry Bird, is the real brains of the operation.

Wife of Don Fischer, IU radio voice.... Now the chain starts to connect! Bob Knight is the real brains of the Pacers organization.

Trader Joe
06-27-2012, 11:16 AM
I think that if we stay at 26, it's now a pretty safe bet that Green is going to be the pick. (Unless someone REALLY good falls to us)

Remember Walsh may not be involved, but Pritch will still be in the war room I am sure.

Sparhawk

I want Pritchard to work some magic and make some trades. Our bench sucks, and Green isn't helping much. Need to get more picks to get depth.

Trophy
It sounds as though it's Indiana or bust for Bird. He's pondered retirement for quite some time and the time is now.

PacersHomer
This press conference is making me feel a bit better about this whole situation.

Trader Joe
Wife of Don Fischer, IU radio voice.... Now the chain starts to connect! Bob Knight is the real brains of the Pacers organization.

No, it's actually Martha the Mop Lady...

5_7_Clash
06-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Is it just me or does it sound more and more like Larry will be back in a year or so?

PacerPenguins
06-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Does anyone else believe that KPs shout out to Medical staff, was really a press conference sell job to Brandon Roy?

:-o

Steagles
06-27-2012, 11:18 AM

That's fine with me. I like Green at 26. However, I think we won't be at 26.

Larry DEFINITELY hinting at ring back "I need a year off... Health"

Ace E.Anderson
06-27-2012, 11:18 AM
"It depends on how much Herbie leaves me in his will"

LB is in RARE form today! haha

Trader Joe
06-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Larry is coming back. This is just like a group of good old boys sitting around shooting the ****. I wonder how long they've had this plan...clever *******s.

diamonddave00
06-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Loved Larry's comment on owning team- Depends on how much Herbie leaves me in his will.

Trophy
06-27-2012, 11:20 AM
It sounds like Pritchard is truly the one who will be calling the shots.

Ace E.Anderson
I want Pritchard to work some magic and make some trades. Our bench sucks, and Green isn't helping much. Need to get more picks to get depth.

I agree. I think/hope Pritch will be working the phones trying to be active, while LB makes the final say in our draft selection.

I'm sure by now they have a good idea of who they'll be taking, it's just a matter of who is available.

Sandman21
Is it just me or does it sound more and more like Larry will be back in a year or so?

You, me, Trader Joe, and JMV all seem to think the same.

HC
06-27-2012, 11:21 AM
What was the David West comment all about?

odeez
06-27-2012, 11:22 AM
This whole thing makes me feel uncomfortable. It seems a little patchwork to me. I guess we will have to wait and see how Walsh & Pritchard work together. That is my biggest question, are these two going to get along.

I would prefer to see Bird stay on, it's sad to see him go!

BringJackBack
06-27-2012, 11:22 AM
He's happy to take a break. He must be burnt out from all of the work.

PR07
06-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Larry said he was already going to leave during his original end of season press conference but Simon wanted him to stay.

Sandman21
06-27-2012, 11:25 AM
He'll be back. Walsh is holding down the fort in the interim.

Mackey_Rose
That was actually kind of weird.

LG33
Pritchard seemed contrite and humble.

5_7_Clash
You, me, Trader Joe, and JMV all seem to think the same.

Some of Donnie's comments had a "I'm doing Herb a solid while Bird takes a break" kind of flavor. It almost sounded like he didn't really want to keep working after NY.

billbradley
06-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Herb congratulating Bird on the best one liner was good.

Not sure he knew the mic was on still.

Trader Joe
IMO, if we do a trade this offseason it will be tomorrow while LB and Pritch are still the combo. Otherwise, DW's marching orders are to re-sign Hill and Hibby, and hold down the fort until Bird's health hopefully comes around and he comes back.

TheDon
If larry is in control of the draft I think that means he'll be back, you don't just let someone who is on the up and out have control of something like that just for good measure.

PR07
06-27-2012, 11:27 AM
I honestly could barely make out what Walsh was saying.

Bird appeared to be in an upbeat mood, and I felt Pritchard looked enthused about the job.

5_7_Clash
"See you in the next lifetime."

Whatever happens... thanks, Larry Bird.

LG33
IMO, if we do a trade this offseason it will be tomorrow while LB and Pritch are still the combo. Otherwise, DW's marching orders are to re-sign Hill and Hibby, and hold down the fort until Bird's health hopefully comes around and he comes back.

If Larry Bird's gonna be there through Summer League, then I'd imagine he will participate in most of the major decisions.

Dr. Awesome
Can't wait to see Pritchard on draft day - the guy is known for making draft day deals. Of course, he had a lot more money behind him in Portland, but at least we know he will be working the phones.

Also, for everyone saying we will draft Green - Pritchard typical drafts younger players, at least that seemed to be the case in Portland.

diamonddave00
06-27-2012, 11:28 AM
I get the feeling Larry wants to go out with a boom. I'd not be surprised at all if the Pacers are very active tomorrow night.

DGPR
06-27-2012, 11:28 AM
So in a nutshell what is going on? For those of us not able to listen to the press conference.

TheDon
06-27-2012, 11:29 AM
I'm excited for having pritchard work the draft as well. We really haven't got to pritch slap any teams, we almost got to pritch slap memphis but morway apparently screwed that up.

Trader Joe
06-27-2012, 11:29 AM
That was actually kind of weird.

Please elaborate.

PR07
06-27-2012, 11:31 AM
It makes sense for Larry Bird to do the draft, he's done all of the homework and research on prospects, as far as scouting. If Donnie Walsh had all of the sudden jumped in, I'm not sure I'd be as comfortable just on a basis of the prep work needed going in.

Kemo
06-27-2012, 11:32 AM
After watching this and seeing the demeanor of everyone, I feel alot better than I initially did ... alot better...

I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt...

I guess the initial reports just kinda had me shellshocked and worried about our team being gutted/traded and Hibbert not re-signed , and our developmental players being let go ...
After this press conference, as I said , I feel alot better...
I believe with Larry's endorsement of Lance, that he will be safe , and with both Pritch and Donnie's endorsement of our core guys along with our #1 priority being re-signing our free-agents, it put my mind at ease and backed me off the ledge.. lol ... **shew** wipes brow ..

PacerPenguins
06-27-2012, 11:33 AM
we could be in for an interesting day tomorrow..

Dr. Awesome
06-27-2012, 11:33 AM
For those saying it sounds like Larry will be back, what do you make of the "see you in the next life" comment?

I am just going off what people are sayin here as I can't listen while at work.

BringJackBack
06-27-2012, 11:34 AM
I want to see the replay of the press conference as I missed 90% of it...

*astrisk*
06-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Pritchard seemed contrite and humble.

How do you figure? To quote KP verbatim... "We'll be aggressive, when the right occassion happens... Somebodys getting Pritch-Slapped... And there is nothing you, Larry, Donnie, Kravitz or David Stern can do about it! When Pritch Happens, its always for Basketball reasons!!!"

Not very humble in my opinion... and I love it!

Trader Joe
For those saying it sounds like Larry will be back, what do you make of the "see you in the next life" comment?

I think Larry was drunk in this interview honestly LOL

He was cracking so many one liners it's tough for me to say exactly, just the vibe I get from the way Larry was acting there. He's doing the draft, he's staying around until the very last second before his surgery, Simon clearly thinks Larry walks on water. At the very least, the door will always be open for Larry to return and we know how hard it can be for guys to say good bye to the game.

Kemo

Just Larry being typical Larry ... nothing more nothing less..

Nuntius
06-27-2012, 11:36 AM
We really haven't got to pritch slap any teams

We have pritch slapped Toronto more than once ;)

Sandman21
As in on the other side of the operating knife to me.... :D

graphic-er
I definitely get the vibe that this is temporary set up with Walsh stepping in as a favor to Bird and Herbie. We can only hope Bird is back in 2 years. Seems way to planned out at this point.

imawhat
06-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Ugh. Ugh in every possible way.

Larry is not coming back. There will be some disappointed people if they expect Larry to return.

tadscout
06-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Also, for everyone saying we will draft Green - Pritchard typical drafts younger players, at least that seemed to be the case in Portland.

Same with Walsh, despite him not being able to be in the draftroom (I think, b/c NY contract), I'm sure Bird and Pritch know his opinions.

vnzla81
06-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.

Trader Joe
06-27-2012, 11:40 AM
I definitely get the vibe that this is temporary set up with Walsh stepping in as a favor to Bird and Herbie. We can only hope Bird is back in 2 years. Seems way to planned out at this point.

Like I said, just a bunch of good old boys shooting the **** is what it felt like. They all probably went back to Bird's office for beers and scotch and smokes after that.

Hicks
Am I the only one not excited to have Donnie Walsh back? I don't like this move at all.

You're not alone.

I'm game for Kevin Pritchard taking over, but not as Donnie's 1st Officer.

The Second Walsh Dynasty has begun.

BRushWithDeath

I don't understand the idea that Walsh is just holding Bird's spot. Pritchard is obviously qualified to run the basketball side of a franchise. If you trust Pritchard, why is Walsh needed?

Dr. Awesome
06-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.

He met with Orlando?

Trader Joe
06-27-2012, 11:41 AM

Maybe, but Larry has basically done this exact same thing before. Leaving as coach taking a year or two off and then coming back.

Heisenberg
06-27-2012, 11:42 AM
I all of a sudden want a Susie Fischer/Peter Dinwiddie front office

graphic-er

EXPLAIN Yo Self.

Hicks

I just don't think it's Larry's style. Once he's out, he's out. He never coached again. I'm not saying he won't GM again, but I'd almost expect him to try somewhere else rather than be a retread here.

xBulletproof
Here's what I got listening .... They spent the last 2 days sitting around a PC laughing at Pacers Digest being some panicky *** people. Then showed up to the press conference joking and being goofy. In other words, we got trolled.

Trader Joe
I don't understand the idea that Walsh is just holding Bird's spot. Pritchard is obviously qualified to run the basketball side of a franchise. If you trust Pritchard, why is Walsh needed?

This is the only part I don't totally get. Maybe Bird invited Walsh in originally to make Simon comfortable? We know that Walsh was originally brought in by Bird not the Pacers.

Trader Joe
06-27-2012, 11:43 AM
I just don't think it's Larry's style. Once he's out, he's out. He never coached again. I'm not saying he won't GM again, but I'd almost expect him to try somewhere else rather than be a retread here.

But isn't this essentially what he did when he left as coach for health reasons? Took a couple years off and then came back to the Pacers.

Hicks
06-27-2012, 11:44 AM

Wouldn't he just talk to Roy on the phone about this staff when the time comes? I think it was just general commentary.

Mackey_Rose
06-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Please elaborate.

The whole thing seemed to have a very flippant vibe, considering the serious nature of the topic being discussed.

Heisenberg
06-27-2012, 11:45 AM
I wasn't exactly enamored with answer to the direct "was it about payroll?" question from Kravitz (I think). Bird hemmed and hawed around that.

When Bird said the biggest thing about selling the team is about making sure it stays here and Simon sort of emphatically (for him) pounded the table and slightly nodded, that was at least reassuring.

Trader Joe
06-27-2012, 11:45 AM
The whole thing seemed to have a very flippant vibe, considering the serious nature of the topic being discussed.

I would agree with that.

Hicks
06-27-2012, 11:46 AM
It sounds like Pritchard is truly the one who will be calling the shots.

You got that from Donnie being the President and saying ultimately it's his call? Okay.

Heisenberg
06-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Oh, and the compliments on our training staff from KP, there's no conspiracy. Our training is OUTSTANDING. Look through our injury history the last handful of years. I wish more people'd realize it, it's truly an asset.

Larry Staverman
06-27-2012, 11:47 AM
You're not alone.

I'm game for Kevin Pritchard taking over, but not as Donnie's 1st Officer.

The Second Walsh Dynasty has begun.

While I would prefer not to go back to Walsh one thing he said that made me feel better was the need to get more speed and athleticism to keep up and the Pacers are in dire need of more speed and athleticism.

Way too many slow footed unathletic players.

Trader Joe
06-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Oh, and the compliments on our training staff from KP, there's no conspiracy. Our training is OUTSTANDING. Look through our injury history the last handful of years. I wish more people'd realize it, it's truly an asset.

No kidding, how many times did Roy roll his ankle this year? 4? 5? Now Roy get's some credit for that too for truly emphasizing flexibility in his offseason training, but make no mistake our training staff must do a heck of a job getting people ready to play.

Also, I think KP is probably more bitter than most towards trainers, I am sure he partially blames the Portland staff for him losing his title there.

tadscout
06-27-2012, 11:49 AM

Just my opinion, but I think your being more absurd. Simon, Bird, and Walsh have a super close relationship - Bird wouldn't go anywhere else.
I think it may be more than one year (maybe even never), but once Bird's healthy, and if he misses his favorite job, then yeah he will eventually be back.

Trophy
06-27-2012, 11:50 AM
You got that from Donnie being the President and saying ultimately it's his call? Okay.

Based on what they were asking Pritchard and the fact that Walsh could just be sitting in for Bird.

Does it really matter though?

BTW, they did say they'll be working as a team.

BringJackBack
The vibe of the conference makes me seem to believe that maybe this has been a plan for a while.... Pritch knowing Bird and getting his name out there with the Blazers, and Donnie always in the rumors to want to come back. Part of me wants to think that Donnie, Pritch, and Bird are close together while David Morway fell out of the loop and became an outsider. Hell, maybe when Bird comes back it will be for an ownership type deal...

Very interesting nonetheless.

imawhat
I wasn't exactly enamored with answer to the direct "was it about payroll?" question from Kravitz (I think). Bird hemmed and hawed around that.

Larry is so easy to read because he's a straight shooter. If he's not giving a direct answer to a question (like the example above), then you know there's more to the story. Otherwise, Larry would've just said no.

vnzla81
Man I was excited with the thought of Pritchard been the one calling the shots but Walsh as the President is as boring as having Bird, get ready to see nothing happening :fatbanana

Hicks
06-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Maybe, but Larry has basically done this exact same thing before. Leaving as coach taking a year or two off and then coming back.

No, he left coaching permanently in 2000, then three years later after Donnie recruited him he almost reluctantly came in to be GM. Even today he had a quote referring to this, something akin to "I still don't know how you talked me into that" referring to DW/HS in 2003.

Mackey_Rose
06-27-2012, 11:52 AM
The vibe of the conference makes me seem to believe that maybe this has been a plan for a while.... Pritch knowing Bird and getting his name out there with the Blazers, and Donnie always in the rumors to want to come back. Part of me wants to think that Donnie, Pritch, and Bird are close together while David Morway fell out of the loop and became an outsider.

You think that Pritchard taking the Blazers' GM position was all part of some elaborate scheme to eventually play second fiddle to Bird and Walsh in Indiana?

Yeah, I don't see that.

vnzla81
Just my opinion, but I think your being more absurd. Simon, Bird, and Walsh have a super close relationship - Bird wouldn't go anywhere else.
I think it may be more than one year (maybe even never), but once Bird's healthy, and if he misses his favorite job, then yeah he will eventually be back.

You guys keep repeating that if it makes you feel better but is not going to happen, Bird is not coming back.

Heisenberg
No, he left coaching permanently in 2000, then three years later after Donnie recruited him he almost reluctantly came in to be GM. Even today he had a quote referring to this, something akin to "I still don't know how you talked me into that" referring to DW/HS in 2003.Pretty sure he said "I still don't know how Donnie talked me into coaching." Not the front office gig.

*astrisk*
Wouldn't he just talk to Roy on the phone about this staff when the time comes? I think it was just general commentary.
I get what you're saying Hicks. But I believe that it never hurts to throw out sell points to anyone listening when you can. After listening back though, I took it as not taking guys with red flags...

imawhat
Based on what they were asking Pritchard and the fact that Walsh could just be sitting in for Bird.

Considering that Donnie and Kevin are miles apart philosophically, yes.

Nuntius

Quoted for truth. Our training staff is not as miraculous as Phoenix's (they are freakin wizards) but it's an outstanding staff nonetheless :D

Trader Joe
06-27-2012, 11:53 AM
No, he left coaching permanently in 2000, then three years later after Donnie recruited him he almost reluctantly came in to be GM. Even today he had a quote referring to this, something akin to "I still don't know how you talked me into that" referring to DW/HS in 2003.

And yet he stayed for almost 10 years...that quote seems more like Larry's sense of humor than anything else, JMO though.

tadscout
06-27-2012, 11:54 AM
While I would prefer not to go back to Walsh one thing he said that made me feel better was the need to get more speed and athleticism to keep up and the Pacers are in dire need of more speed and athleticism.

Way too many slow footed unathletic players.

Their comments on needing speed and athleticism, leads me to think no way we are drafting D Green.

graphic-er
This is the only part I don't totally get. Maybe Bird invited Walsh in originally to make Simon comfortable? We know that Walsh was originally brought in by Bird not the Pacers.

I said it before last year, Larry Bird is a master strategist. He obviously brought DW back in to ease Herbie. He probably knew that Herbie would immediately latch on to DW as his replacement. Bird also knows that DW only has a couple years left at this before he officially hangs it up. Setting up his triumphant return if he wants it.

Bird is a genius.

Hicks

My take on that is it stems from this actually being in the works for weeks, as opposed to the mere 48 hours we all had to chew on it, and also the four of them all know, trust, respect and are comfortable with one another, so there's a sense of being relaxed even in the face of change.

Heisenberg
Their comments on needing speed and athleticism, leads me to think no way we are drafting D Green.
Classic Donnie smokescreen. We're taking Green.

Sandman21
06-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Donnie isn't doing the draft. :D

Trader Joe
06-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Classic Donnie smokescreen. We're taking Green.

Green is just a smoke screen to the smoke screen of Donnie's cigarettes.

imawhat
06-27-2012, 11:57 AM
I said it before last year, Larry Bird is a master strategist. He obviously brought DW back in to ease Herbie. He probably knew that Herbie would immediately latch on to DW as his replacement. Bird also knows that DW only has a couple years left at this before he officially hangs it up. Setting up his triumphant return if he wants it.

Bird is a genius.

Herb called Donnie, not Larry. That was cleared up at today's press conference.

tadscout
You guys keep repeating that if it makes you feel better but is not going to happen, Bird is not coming back.

You must have missed where I thought he may still yet never come back... point is no one knows what Larry is, or will be thinking in a year or two (not even Larry)... So to me it is absurd you think you 100% know.

Hicks
... the fact that Walsh could just be sitting in for Bird.

The fact of speculation or interpretation?

Yeah, it matters. They're not clones or twins; they'll have their own opinions on what should be and what should not be. DW's opinion > KP's opinion here.

Heisenberg
06-27-2012, 11:59 AM
I wanna know who Larry was talking about when he said, "I've talked to a couple people about buying the franchise..." or whatever the exact quote was. Smulyan?

Hicks
06-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Larry is so easy to read because he's a straight shooter. If he's not giving a direct answer to a question (like the example above), then you know there's more to the story. Otherwise, Larry would've just said no.

Yeah, there's something we don't specifically know here. Fortunately, even with that, what Bird DID say about it suggests it's hardly like Herb is wanting us to only spend up to the cap or something stupid like that. My guess is we'll be allowed to go up to, but not exceed, the tax line.

Trader Joe
06-27-2012, 12:00 PM
At the very least, I think it's hard to not feel significantly more comfortable with the situation than most did yesterday. I don't think this was rushed into.

odeez
06-27-2012, 12:01 PM
The big question is how will Walsh & Pritchard work together. Walsh said he has only got to know him this past week. That is where I question things, hopefully it works out, but who knows?

Hicks
And yet he stayed for almost 10 years...that quote seems more like Larry's sense of humor than anything else, JMO though.

What does him staying 9 years have to do with this idea that he's going to double dip? He's never done that for the same role with a team.

Dr. Awesome

You still never posted a link to Birds alleged meeting with Orlando...

BillS
06-27-2012, 12:02 PM
I wanna know who Larry was talking about when he said, "I've talked to a couple people about buying the franchise..." or whatever the exact quote was. Smulyan?

I was blocked from the presser since I am only on work network this week - can someone please elaborate on this?

I actually think this is how Bird will return if at all, as owner or leader of an ownership group. If that happened, I would be ecstatic.

Trader Joe
06-27-2012, 12:03 PM
What does him staying 9 years have to do with this idea that he's going to double dip? He's never done that for the same role with a team.

Maybe he will not come back as president, I'm just making the point that Larry has already once before, come back to the Pacers after leaving. He and Simon clearly have a fantastic relationship.

Hicks
06-27-2012, 12:03 PM
At the very least, I think it's hard to not feel significantly more comfortable with the situation than most did yesterday. I don't think this was rushed into.

For me, it didn't make me feel better at all. I was never worried about it being a rush, I was worried about the players involved and who had what title. It came out the way I did NOT want it to.

Hicks
06-27-2012, 12:04 PM

He's not making that up; I saw it too. Don't know if it got posted anywhere here or not, but I did see it on Twitter (from a media outlet I don't recall).

Heisenberg
06-27-2012, 12:04 PM
I was blocked from the presser since I am only on work network this week - can someone please elaborate on this?

I actually think this is how Bird will return if at all, as owner or leader of an ownership group. If that happened, I would be ecstatic.
Montieth directly asked if Bird had any interest in owning the Pacers. Larry said "depends how much Herbie leaves me in the will," then after the laughs subsided he said he has no interest in it "at this point in his life." He said he's talked to some people about it, I don't know if he meant as in being in an ownership group WITH Larry, or just in general. But that was it, no more details, just "I've talked to some people about owning the franchise..."

vnzla81
06-27-2012, 12:05 PM

It's well known that Larry had a meeting with Orlando for their FO job, I opened a thread few days ago with the article.

imawhat
Bird has no interest in being an owner. He once did, but no more as per the conference.

I think he was referring to a couple of ownership groups.

Trader Joe
For me, it didn't make me feel better at all. I was never worried about it being a rush, I was worried about the players involved and who had what title. It came out the way I did NOT want it to.

Like I said, Donnie's stint in New York was actually pretty successful, that was his last job, not the disasterous last few years he had with the Pacers. Some of you are picking and choosing what you want to remember about his career.

PR07
The dynamic of Pritchard and Walsh will be interesting. Pritchard was super aggressive in his time in Portland, and Walsh has never been one to rush into things. Maybe some balance between the two polar ends would be best?

Hicks

Bird said he doesn't want to own the Pacers anymore (I think he did years ago, back closer to when he first joined the front office), so it's moot. I recall he had gathered a group to try to buy the Hawks or the Bobcats or something back in the early 2000's.

Trophy
06-27-2012, 12:06 PM
The fact of speculation or interpretation?

Yeah, it matters. They're not clones or twins; they'll have their own opinions on what should be and what should not be. DW's opinion > KP's opinion here.

As a fan, it makes no difference to me. As long as we make the correct moves to make the team better.

Hicks
06-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Like I said, Donnie's stint in New York was actually pretty successful, that was his last job, not the disasterous last few years he had with the Pacers. Some of you are picking and choosing what you want to remember about his career.

He made financial trades to line up cap space in 2010 so he could use the fact that he was in New York to sign Amare Stoudemire after LeBron wouldn't touch them, and then, with him objecting, they overpaid to trade their depth for Melo. I don't knock him for that, it just doesn't blow me away, and we won't replicate that here.

daschysta
06-27-2012, 12:08 PM
One thing that I think that we can come out of this knowing with relative certainty is that our own free agents are top priorities, I feel much more comfortable about our willingness to retain Roy than I did a few days back.

Also I didn't get the vibe that Larry leaving was about Simon being unwilling to spend. We aren't going to go WAY over the cap or perhaps even risk the new penalties at all, but that is common sense. Hell, Cuban of all people has been more conservative in his moves in light of the new CBA, which partially accounts for not retaining Chandler deespite bieng imo, the 2nd most important piece of their Championship team.

I think Donny and Pritch will make a good team. It isn't like Donnie is unwilling to take risks, He transformed our aging contending team into a young contending team, and I dare say that honestly it was Larry just as much as Walsh that was so public in his loyalty to Artest.

Pritchard is obviously great at setting up potential deals, if Morway truly was the one that caused some of our prosepctive deals to fall through then hopefully him being out of the picture ensures they go through next time.

Nothing indicates this huge unwillingness to spend on Herb's part, not sure why people are freaking out about that, he's shown himself willing to spend in the past, and while new restrictions are forcing all teams to be a bit more weary I doubt he would blow a chance to make us real contenders if there is a reasonable way to do it financially, we were never going to spend like LA, this isn't the NFL we don't have the TV money to fall back on , but i'm sure that he's amenable to resigning our own players and signing new players that will improve the product on the floor, we have lots of momentum, and nothing today scared me into thinking that it's all going to end badly.

vnzla81
06-27-2012, 12:08 PM
It's well known that Larry had a meeting with Orlando for their FO job, I opened a thread few days ago with the article.

Here is the thread and article.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?73186-Sources-Magic-pursued-Larry-Bird-for-GM-Team-was-in-high-pursuit-of-Pacers-president

OlBlu
06-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Bird said he doesn't want to own the Pacers anymore (I think he did years ago, back closer to when he first joined the front office), so it's moot. I recall he had gathered a group to try to buy the Hawks or the Bobcats or something back in the early 2000's.

Why would he want to buy them when they don't get fan support and they lose money every year..... I wouldn't want to own them (in Indy anyway) either......:cool:

Hicks
06-27-2012, 12:09 PM
As a fan, it makes no difference to me. As long as we make the correct moves to make the team better.

Well, yeah, but that's the whole point of my concern: I'm not convinced this new 2-headed monster will make the team better.

Trader Joe
06-27-2012, 12:10 PM
He made financial trades so he could use the fact that he was in New York to buy Amare Stoudemire, and then, with him objecting, they overpaid to trade for Melo. I don't knock him for that, it just doesn't blow me away.

There were many both on PD and around the NBA, who thought liquidating the Knick's obscene amount of egregious contracts would be nearly impossible yet Walsh he did it. He was right on the nose about not giving up all the young assets the Knicks had on Melo. I would say he had a very successful stint in New York and that is not even addressing his first 10+ years of work with the Pacers which were also very well done.

Again, I understand we are talking about something that is very subjective, just stating how I see it.

Trader Joe
06-27-2012, 12:11 PM

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?73186-Sources-Magic-pursued-Larry-Bird-for-GM-Team-was-in-high-pursuit-of-Pacers-president

I think that's up to interpretation to me, it sounds like Bird met with the Magic as a courtesy and nothing more. If he met at all.

imawhat
06-27-2012, 12:12 PM

It really wasn't successful though. He tied up max money to a player they couldn't even insure, drafted a fringe rotation player with a top 10 pick, drafted a middling starter with a #6 pick, hired a terrible coach, and put together a roster with overlapping skill sets and gaping deficiencies.

OlBlu
06-27-2012, 12:13 PM
One thing that I think that we can come out of this knowing with relative certainty is that our own free agents are top priorities, I feel much more comfortable about our willingness to retain Roy than I did a few days back.

Also I didn't get the vibe that Larry leaving was about Simon being unwilling to spend. We aren't going to go WAY over the cap or perhaps even risk the new penalties at all, but that is common sense. Hell, Cuban of all people has been more conservative in his moves in light of the new CBA, which partially accounts for not retaining Chandler deespite bieng imo, the 2nd most important piece of their Championship team.

I think Donny and Pritch will make a good team. It isn't like Donnie is unwilling to take risks, He transformed our aging contending team into a young contending team, and I dare say that honestly it was Larry just as much as Walsh that was so public in his loyalty to Artest.

Pritchard is obviously great at setting up potential deals, if Morway truly was the one that caused some of our prosepctive deals to fall through then hopefully him being out of the picture ensures they go through next time.

Nothing indicates this huge unwillingness to spend on Herb's part, not sure why people are freaking out about that, he's shown himself willing to spend in the past, and while new restrictions are forcing all teams to be a bit more weary I doubt he would blow a chance to make us real contenders if there is a reasonable way to do it financially, we were never going to spend like LA, this isn't the NFL we don't have the TV money to fall back on , but i'm sure that he's amenable to resigning our own players and signing new players that will improve the product on the floor, we have lots of momentum, and nothing today scared me into thinking that it's all going to end badly.

I disagree with you. I think it was all about money. Larry wanted to see if Simon was willing to spend before committing to staying with the team. He is leaving, what does that tell you? I think Herb was unwilling to spend and was just delighted to have a team like last year with little interest in contending for a title. That has been the Simon method since they have owned the team. The run with Reggie more like just happened than was planned or money was spent to produce that team. I think the GM will leave as soon as he realized that Walsh will call all of the shots as he always did..... I see this as a huge step backward.......:cool:

Heisenberg
06-27-2012, 12:13 PM
I wish someone would've asked Donnie and KP about their contracts, if they even have one. Length specifically, couldn't care less what they get paid.

BringJackBack
06-27-2012, 12:15 PM
I think in this offseason we will see a couple of things change:

1) We will see an aggressive attack for the returns or Brandon Roy AND Greg Oden from Pritchard. Worthwhile risks because Oden would have a cheap deal, and the question on Roy isn't that he can't play, but if he can handle the rigors of a regular season.

2) We will be more aggressive in the draft than before, and we might to the Charlotte route, putting on salary (A decent player, such as Ben Gordon) to obtain a draft pick.

3) Everyone becomes tradeable outside of Roy Hibbert and George Hill, since they are being brought back.

4) We are more likely to attempt a blockbuster deal for a very good player.

tadscout
06-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Well, yeah, but that's the whole point of my concern: I'm not convinced this new 2-headed monster will make the team better.

I tend to agree with you often... but this two-headed monster thing I don't. Fact is most FO's work as teams. (you even re-tweeted a series of tweets explaining that recently)

OlBlu
06-27-2012, 12:16 PM
It really wasn't successful though. He tied up max money to a player they couldn't even insure, drafted a fringe rotation player with a top 10 pick, drafted a middling starter with a #6 pick, hired a terrible coach, and put together a roster with overlapping skill sets and gaping deficiencies.

I am not a big fan of Walsh but this is unfair. He didn't hire a terrible coach and what do you think expect other than a middling starter with the #6 pick? Many top ten picks become fringe rotation players or worse. The draft is about a 50/50 proposition. Walsh brought stars to NY and that will eventually pay off.......:cool:

Trader Joe
06-27-2012, 12:16 PM
Well, I'm very excited to see what happens in the draft tomorrow, will Larry play it safe or will he swing for the fences? I think we know what Pritch will be rooting for and with all the activity that has the potential of occurring in the first round I think it will be fun to see how it plays out. As far as Donnie, I guess we really don't have to worry about him until next offseason as long as he signs Hill and Hibby LOL

Trophy
06-27-2012, 12:18 PM

I am excited and at the same time concerned because it's all new.

It's a nice relief that they acknowledged the biggest priority over the offseason is bringing back 2 of our FAs (Hibbert and Hill).

graphic-er
06-27-2012, 12:18 PM

This is just very misleading. The New York team that had Felton, Fields, Stoudamire, Gallinari, was on its way. Walsh did a very good job. You could argue that they didn't need Melo at that point, just keep buidling. Then Dolan and Isiah said get lost old man. Just think if they would have kept that core around and then added Chandler.

Trophy
06-27-2012, 12:25 PM
I think that's up to interpretation to me, it sounds like Bird met with the Magic as a courtesy and nothing more. If he met at all.

Bird also has a house in Florida, I believe so maybe he was just in town.

It sounds to me that he was just interested in seeing what was going on with the Magic. Nothing formal it seems.

It doesn't sound like it's something worth thinking much into.

Hicks
06-27-2012, 12:28 PM
I tend to agree with you often... but this two-headed monster thing I don't. Fact is most FO's work as teams. (you even re-tweeted a series of tweets explaining that recently)

True, but how often are they comprised of two guys who are both capable of being the head duck like this? It's not like KP is some newbie up and comer; he's already ran a show before.

PacersPride
06-27-2012, 12:36 PM

your one of the same guys that scoffed when i predicted Bird would win Executive of the Year. i dont put much credibility in your statements unless you have a link.

sounds like your just giving opinion here.. and again, that doesnt amount to a hill of beans for me.

need me to pull out the GM will win Executive of the Year thread to clarify.

tadscout
06-27-2012, 12:39 PM
True, but how often are they comprised of two guys who are both capable of being the head duck like this? It's not like KP is some newbie up and comer; he's already ran a show before.

To me, as long as they leave egos aside (I think they can), it will just make them a stronger team.

Chris Mannix @ChrisMannixSI
A Donnie Walsh/Kevin Pritchard front office ranks as one of the best in the league

Naptown_Seth
06-27-2012, 12:40 PM
I just realized something wonderful...

Jerome Jordan is an easy cherry pick from the end of the Knicks bench. It's Donnie's kid that he sent to Europe for a season (ala Antonio). He's slowly worked into very low levels of NBA PT. He's athletic, has solid post footwork and is a legit 7' guy. This could actually happen with DW/Pritch here.

Naptown_Seth
06-27-2012, 12:50 PM
The replay cuts off at 7 minutes and doesn't currently show any of the Q&A portion, which based on the comments here contains all the gems.

Argh.

Will Galen
06-27-2012, 12:51 PM
I missed the first 15 minutes of the press conference, but I did see Bird near the end say he was taking a year off to correct his health and get refreshed, and then we would see what happens.

I think setting out a year was his response to Herb wanting to wait and see what happens with the attendance, while Bird wanted to spend money now.

Being that Bird thinks being in charge of an NBA team is the best job in the world, if he feels good in a year I think he will come back again, but not necessarily to the Pacers though.

I think the only way Bird comes back to the Pacers is if Herb wants him back next year and will spend the money Bird wants to spend. Waiting a year might satisfy Herb and giving Bird money to spend might satisfy Bird. I think it's a fluid situation that will depend on what happens to the Pacers in the coming year. We will have to wait and see.

MnvrChvy
06-27-2012, 12:51 PM
The vibe of the conference makes me seem to believe that maybe this has been a plan for a while.... Pritch knowing Bird and getting his name out there with the Blazers, and Donnie always in the rumors to want to come back. Part of me wants to think that Donnie, Pritch, and Bird are close together while David Morway fell out of the loop and became an outsider. Hell, maybe when Bird comes back it will be for an ownership type deal...

Leave and come back in the bigger role... that has been his pattern. Maybe he takes this time to put together that ownership group (of which Simon may still be a part).

BringJackBack
06-27-2012, 12:53 PM
This is just very misleading. The New York team that had Felton, Fields, Stoudamire, Gallinari, was on its way. Walsh did a very good job. You could argue that they didn't need Melo at that point, just keep buidling. Then Dolan and Isiah said get lost old man. Just think if they would have kept that core around and then added Chandler.

It was a very up and coming team. If they would have brought Melo in in the summer, like Donnie would have, they would be on our current level, if not better.

MnvrChvy
06-27-2012, 12:54 PM

You could have said the same thing about Donnie a few years back.

Unclebuck
06-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Just in general often times it is a good thing to bring in new people to take a project from halfway completed to the finish line. Bringing someone else in can bring a fresh set of eyes and a new perspective on what you already have completed. Plus oftentimes the person that starts a project might become too attached either to their own ideas or to the people they hired.

Very common and often succesful business practice.

CableKC
06-27-2012, 12:58 PM

I think that Bird's been watching "Lost". :shrug:

The Sleeze
06-27-2012, 01:06 PM
The replay cuts off at 7 minutes and doesn't currently show any of the Q&A portion, which based on the comments here contains all the gems.

Argh.

In the description of that video it says "Part 1", so I would think Part 2 will be up shortly and contain the rest of the Presser and the Q&A.

daschysta
06-27-2012, 01:13 PM
He made financial trades to line up cap space in 2010 so he could use the fact that he was in New York to sign Amare Stoudemire after LeBron wouldn't touch them, and then, with him objecting, they overpaid to trade their depth for Melo. I don't knock him for that, it just doesn't blow me away, and we won't replicate that here.

A bit harsh. The Amare move was working out well initially, but that part is less impressive than what he built around Amar'e. I quite liked the Gallo/Amare/Felton/Chandler/Mosgov team, young flexible, on the up and up etc... Dolan stepped in and gave WAY too much for Melo over Walsh's objection, Walsh was in favor of waiting it out, Melo was coming to New York regardless in all likelyhood, Dolan panicked and gave away the farm.

Amare started getting injured, and doesn't fit with Melo at all (he needs a pick and roll point) but that team had the makings of being very solid after a quite fast turnaround, and had the flexibility to move into the next level the Right way i.e. not how Dolan did it.

I think Walsh and Pritch will make a great team, Donnie isn't completely risk adverse you know. The bender thing didn't work out, but it wasn't some "safe" move. Getting JO was a masterstroke no matter how much all of us loved Dale, and it was a huge risk. So was moving Jalen for two players that ended up being all-stars. His track record, for the most part, has been excellent in my time as a pacers fan (since the 93-94 season)

Pritchard is another guy who damn near built a contender out of a mess in Portland, if he's learned from some of his mistakes he's one of the top GM's in the business.

I'm much more comfortable after today because-

Resigning our FA's seems to be a top priority. Retaining Roy is absolutely key, without him we are no more than a 4th or 5th team in the East, and that isn't considering his relationship with the city, fans and work ethic that suggests he will continue to improve into a top big man.

I didn't get the vibe that Simon was unwilling to spend up to a reasonable amount of money, you can't expect most owners to go buckwild anymore, even Cuban is being more conservative for pete's sake.

I'm eager to see if some of these deals that fell through were in fact due to Morway, hopefully these same types of deals go through in the future

imawhat
06-27-2012, 01:19 PM
To me, as long as they leave egos aside (I think they can), it will just make them a stronger team.

Walsh wasn't coming back unless he was top dog. Egos are not aside.

graphic-er
06-27-2012, 01:23 PM
A bit harsh. The Amare move was working out well initially, but that part is less impressive than what he built around Amar'e. I quite liked the Gallo/Amare/Felton/Chandler/Mosgov team, young flexible, on the up and up etc... Dolan stepped in and gave WAY too much for Melo over Walsh's objection, Walsh was in favor of waiting it out, Melo was coming to New York regardless in all likelyhood, Dolan panicked and gave away the farm.

This team never existed!

tadscout
06-27-2012, 01:24 PM
Walsh wasn't coming back unless he was top dog. Egos are not aside.

Link, or it is just purely an opinion/speculation.

I don't want to seem rude saying such a thing... but I'm just tired of people making their opinions as if they are facts.

Justin Tyme
06-27-2012, 01:25 PM

Prichard has only been here a year, so Simon needs a security blanket. For good or bad, Walsh is someone Simon trusts and has faith in.

tadscout
06-27-2012, 01:25 PM
This team never existed!

Wilson Chandler, not Tyson.

daschysta
06-27-2012, 01:29 PM
This team never existed!

Wilson Chandler my dude.

Hicks
06-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Just in general often times it is a good thing to bring in new people to take a project from halfway completed to the finish line. Bringing someone else in can bring a fresh set of eyes and a new perspective on what you already have completed. Plus oftentimes the person that starts a project might become too attached either to their own ideas or to the people they hired.

Very common and often succesful business practice.

And I'd be totally fine with that if it was just Pritchard. But it's also Donnie, and Donnie first.

Justin Tyme
06-27-2012, 01:36 PM

Then please explain why Bird talked to Orlando's owner about the GM job?

An interesting thing is how could Bird's health be good enough to talk to Orlando but not good enough to stay with the Pacers. I can't see Bird wasting a NBA owners time if he wasn't interested or his health wasn't good enough to do the job. He can get a free lunch anywhere.

BPump33
06-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Hicks,

This is an honest question. Did you not get the feeling that Donnie was coming back mostly as a favor to Herb and that KP would be doing most of the heavy lifting? That's how I'm choosing to see things. Donnie almost seemed disinterested to me at the presser. Not an ideal situation, but it seems like Donnie is mostly just a security blanket for Herb. Again, just my opinion.

Justin Tyme
06-27-2012, 01:39 PM

Wasn't that what the 2 headed monster was suppose to be doing all those years. We saw how well that worked out.

Hicks
06-27-2012, 01:41 PM

Amare started getting injured, and doesn't fit with Melo at all (he needs a pick and roll point) but that team had the makings of being very solid after a quite fast turnaround, and had the flexibility to move into the next level the Right way i.e. not how Dolan did it.

I think Walsh and Pritch will make a great team, Donnie isn't completely risk adverse you know. The bender thing didn't work out, but it wasn't some "safe" move. Getting JO was a masterstroke no matter how much all of us loved Dale, and it was a huge risk. So was moving Jalen for two players that ended up being all-stars. His track record, for the most part, has been excellent in my time as a pacers fan (since the 93-94 season)

Pritchard is another guy who damn near built a contender out of a mess in Portland, if he's learned from some of his mistakes he's one of the top GM's in the business.

I'm much more comfortable after today because-

Resigning our FA's seems to be a top priority. Retaining Roy is absolutely key, without him we are no more than a 4th or 5th team in the East, and that isn't considering his relationship with the city, fans and work ethic that suggests he will continue to improve into a top big man.

I didn't get the vibe that Simon was unwilling to spend up to a reasonable amount of money, you can't expect most owners to go buckwild anymore, even Cuban is being more conservative for pete's sake.

I'm eager to see if some of these deals that fell through were in fact due to Morway, hopefully these same types of deals go through in the future

I admit it could go really, really well. I do. I just don't like the retread hire of Donnie Walsh. The last decade soured my feelings for him. But I respect both of their bodies of work and their basketball minds, so I'll hold out hope that it all goes well. I'd just feel better if it was just Pritchard.

Donnie will sometimes take risks, but he's more known for being uber-patient and letting what he has grow internally (and paying as much as anyone to retain those pieces). There's wisdom in that, but at the same time I feel strongly that this summer is our last chance to ADD TO this roster before it gets locked up for the foreseeable future. I'm very, very worried that we'll overpay for Hill and Roy and call it an era. That team would have to really develop internally to have any chance at succeeding the way I want them to. Hill would have to improve, George would have to greatly improve, Roy would have to improve, and Tyler would have to at least get back to how he looked Spring 2011. Hell, it will be hard enough even IF we add more pieces like I want us to, let alone without them.

I fear that with Donnie here we're much less likely to try to improve from the outside.

McKeyFan
06-27-2012, 01:43 PM

I don't want to seem rude saying such a thing... but I'm just tired of people making their opinions as if they are facts.

Vescey reported it. Then the presser confirmed it.

Tom White
06-27-2012, 01:43 PM

Perhaps because those involved have the ultimate trust, comfort and confidence in each other. They KNOW things will work out fine.

fwpacerfan
06-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Then please explain why Bird talked to Orlando's owner about the GM job?

An interesting thing is how could Bird's health be good enough to talk to Orlando but not good enough to stay with the Pacers. I can't see Bird wasting a NBA owners time if he wasn't interested or his health wasn't good enough to do the job. He can get a free lunch anywhere.

If my name is Larry Bird and I am totally committed to keeping the Pacers in Indiana and I know I'm still going to be involved with them in retirement, even if it's at a distance, I would talk to Orlando and find out anything they are willing to tell me about their plans. That is probably a waste of Orlando's time but not Bird's. Bird is a competitor and you could tell from the press conference he still feels a part of the Pacers organization and I don't think that will ever change for him. I really see him being a part owner of this team sometime within the next 5 years.

Hicks
06-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Well, on the plus side, at least I don't have to keep reading about how it's all that God-awful-Larry-Green-Guy-Bird's fault anymore.

Well, except for tomorrow night, I guess.

Hicks
06-27-2012, 01:47 PM

It's reasonable speculation. The guy is at the twilight of his career, looked like he might even be retired before this anyway, he's clearly not our long term solution anymore, and we just hired a much younger man to be our GM who has already ran a franchise in this capacity before. You tell me why he had to be president again.

Hicks
06-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Prichard has only been here a year, so Simon needs a security blanket. For good or bad, Walsh is someone Simon trusts and has faith in.

Right.

And I just wish he could have been hired as a consultant or some other title where he is NOT in control, but nonetheless here to talk and work with Pritchard at all times, with it being KP's show. THAT I could live with a lot easier. And it would serve essentially the same purpose for Simon other than he'd have to suffer through one or so moves he didn't care for before then replacing KP with Walsh.

tadscout
06-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Vescey reported it. Then the presser confirmed it.

I can't find anywhere where Vescey said Walsh had to be #1 or not back at all.

Sounds like Donnie didn't demand or force his way into #1, Simon wanted him for familiarity/comfort.

tadscout
06-27-2012, 01:51 PM
It's reasonable speculation. The guy is at the twilight of his career, looked like he might even be retired before this anyway, he's clearly not our long term solution anymore, and we just hired a much younger man to be our GM who has already ran a franchise in this capacity before. You tell me why he had to be president again.

Simon doesn't like change, they said that many many times.

Hicks
06-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Hicks,

This is an honest question. Did you not get the feeling that Donnie was coming back mostly as a favor to Herb and that KP would be doing most of the heavy lifting? That's how I'm choosing to see things. Donnie almost seemed disinterested to me at the presser. Not an ideal situation, but it seems like Donnie is mostly just a security blanket for Herb. Again, just my opinion.

It seems like you're asking me what I thought I saw before telling me what you WANTED to see. What we think we see versus what we WANT to see are two different things.

And it sounds like we're flip-flopped. You WANT to see KP running the show with DW being a backseat Pres, whereas I see DW being the head duck and would LIKE TO SEE KP running the show.

Don't get me wrong, I believe them both when they say it'll be a tandem (hence two-headed monster), and as long as they're on the same page that won't be a huge problem, but once disagreement comes, Walsh gets to decide, not Pritchard. They'll be a team except that Walsh gets to play tie-breaker. Essentially, Walsh gets two votes and Pritchard gets one. Every decision will either be a vote of 3-0 or 2-1.

Tom White
06-27-2012, 01:55 PM

To be fair, it isn't like he has had a number of "roles" during his career. He coached for awhile, then came back to run the show, That's it. It isn't as though he has held every position from PR department to scouting to whatever and has never returned to any of those positions. He's held two positions. Only two.

Hicks
06-27-2012, 01:56 PM
I can't find anywhere where Vescey said Walsh had to be #1 or not back at all.

Sounds like Donnie didn't demand or force his way into #1, Simon wanted him for familiarity/comfort.

He represented as much in his radio interview on 1070 the other morning.

Justin Tyme

Walsh was expecting to lure LeBron to NY, and when James went elsewhere it left Walsh with egg on his face after getting all this cap. Walsh then hurried up and gave Amare a ridiculous contract with his injury history which now makes Amare almost impossible to trade now to not look so bad. It to me was a terrible move. JMOAA.

Hicks

Fair enough.

BPump33
06-27-2012, 01:58 PM
I know Donnie said he had final say(after hesitating/stuttering/almost avoiding the question). What I'm saying is I'm not sure how often he will question what KP wants to do. I think Donnie is mostly president in name to keep Herb happy. He went out of his way to say how much he enjoyed doing nothing. He went out of his way to say that he first told Herb that he didn't want to return. That he's not going to fly around the country and scout college kids. I really don't see him having nearly as active a role as he had before.

Tom White
06-27-2012, 02:01 PM

They pursued him. He turned them down. Probably only spoke to them out of respect. Seems pretty cut and dried to me. Yet you make it sound as though he couldn't wait to jump ship to get out of here and sign up with them.

Wage
06-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Yesterday I was pretty upset by this news. Today, I feel much better. I have a lot of respect for the things Donnie has done in his career. Unfortunately, my most recent memory is of him leaving the Pacers in absolute shambles, and Larry building a team up from the ashes.

After sleeping on it though, I can see it working. Besides, what good will it do to freak out? It's done, so it's time to hope for the best and move on. There is NOTHING the Pacers could do outside leaving the state of Indiana that would stop me from being a fan, so I will be rooting for our new management team to put the best squad on the court possible.

Welcome and good luck Mr. Pritchard and Mr. Walsh!

presto123
06-27-2012, 02:09 PM
At least Pritchard is in the door. I can't wait until Walsh retires soon and Pritchard will be running the show. Larry did a good job but I really don't want him to return to the team. I think Pritchard will be a better option than Bird.

vnzla81
06-27-2012, 02:14 PM

Link?

BPump33
06-27-2012, 02:15 PM
Bird said Simon doesn't like change in the presser. He said those exact words.

vnzla81
06-27-2012, 02:17 PM
They pursued him. He turned them down. Probably only spoke to them out of respect. Seems pretty cut and dried to me. Yet you make it sound as though he couldn't wait to jump ship to get out of here and sign up with them.

Yep I'm making it sound that way......

Justin Tyme
06-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Wilson Chandler my dude.

ABSOLUTELY! I want Wilson Chandler in a Pacers uni! I'd love to see the Pacers acquire him. To me, he'd be a great replacement for Granger. I wanted him when he came back from China b4 he re-signed with Denver.

#26, DC, and Stanko/Stephenson/Dahntay for him w/o out blinking an eye.

vnzla81
06-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Bird said Simon doesn't like change in the presser. He said those exact words.

Yeah but I disagree with it so I need a link. :link:

tadscout
06-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Link?

In the press conference... should be up on pacers.com

PR07
06-27-2012, 02:20 PM
It'll be interesting to see just how involved Walsh is. Is he there merely to oversee Pritchard here and there and occasionally provide his input, as well as to give the final say on any transactions? Or is he doing a lot of the day-in and day-out involvement alongside Pritchard?

vnzla81
06-27-2012, 02:29 PM
By the way the one thing I like about Walsh/Pritchard is that they are diplomatic unlike Bird/Morway.

tadscout
06-27-2012, 02:34 PM
By the way the one thing I like about Walsh/Morway is that they are diplomatic unlike Bird/Morway.

Did you seriously have diplomatic and Morway the guy that chased out - Kahn, Daniels, and Perkins (he also got into it with David Craig), in the same sentence?! :rotflmao:

xBulletproof
06-27-2012, 02:38 PM
You must have missed where I thought he may still yet never come back... point is no one knows what Larry is, or will be thinking in a year or two (not even Larry)... So to me it is absurd you think you 100% know.

Oh come on now. Vnzla complains about everyone else being mind readers here, you know why don't you? It's because he's proficient at it.

Duh.

xBulletproof
06-27-2012, 02:41 PM
By the way the one thing I like about Walsh/Morway is that they are diplomatic unlike Bird/Morway.

See my previous post.

See?

Duh.