PDA

View Full Version : Bobcats considering trading No. 2 pick

BornReady#6
06-26-2012, 03:16 PM
IMO. Best choice MJ could make. He has to many pgs to get Lillard, who imo is the next best pick in the draft, and Robinson is to much of a risk at this point for a number 2 pick. I wish we could package danny for it and maybe another 1st rounder in 2014 draft and have a shot a Jabari Parker.

ew Charlotte coach Mike Dunlap says the idea of trading down from the No. 2 spot in the NBA draft to acquire extra picks "makes a lot of sense" for a young team like the Bobcats.
After finishing 7-59 and with the worst winning percentage (.106) in NBA history, the Bobcats have a variety of holes to fill this offseason.

Dunlap recognizes that.
That's one of the reasons he said the Bobcats are taking a "hybrid thinking" approach to Thursday night's draft, which means evaluating the talent available at No. 2 while simultaneously looking into the feasibility of moving down and picking up an additional first-round draft pick.
He said the option of trading down "is on the board."
"I think anybody in our situation would have that on the board," Dunlap said. "(Our) people are very smart up top. So options and thinking of your variables is a very smart thing to do."
Dunlap said the decision on whether to remain at No. 2 or move down will be up to his bosses - general manager Rich Cho and director of basketball operations Rod Higgins. As of right now they're not talking about the draft, although both are expected to address the media at a pre-draft press conference Wednesday.
The New Orleans Hornets won the NBA lottery and have the No 1 pick.
It would be a major surprise if they don't take Kentucky's Anthony Davis, considered by many a franchise-type player.
The No. 2 pick is a bit more complicated.
There's no consensus pick for that spot with opinions varying on whether Kansas forward Thomas Robinson, Florida guard Brandon Beal, Kentucky swingman Michael Kidd-Gilchrist or North Carolina forward Harrison Barnes might be the next best player available.
Dunlap says the front office has "definitely reduced" the number of candidates in consideration for the No. 2 pick should the team stand pat.
"That's their job," Dunlap said of Cho and Higgins. "And I'm a resource. But those guys have done a wonderful job all year long of evaluation, so I think they have a clear idea of scenarios. There are many variables, but they have it down."
One intriguing potential trade partner for the Bobcats could be the Cleveland Cavaliers, who own picks No. 4 and 24.
If the Bobcats trade down it might allow them to acquire an outside shooter.
That's what Dunlap considers the team's most pressing need.
"The ability to make the three is important because it allows you to play inside the 3-point line," Dunlap said. "What happens is a defense collapses and it gets crowded in there. I would say that is safe to say that we need to do that. And we need to do a better job with our spacing, too. But as far as the roster goes it's always nice to have guys who can shoot a basketball."
The Bobcats worked out four players on Monday including Vanderbilt's John Jenkins, who fits the bill as an outside shooter after shooting 48.3 percent from beyond the arc last season.
Although he's not considered a top 10 pick, he could be an option for the Bobcats with their second round pick (31st overall). The others that worked out Monday in Charlotte were Missouri's Kim English, Virginia Tech's Dorenzo Hudson and High Point's Nick Barbour.
"I think it's a good draft and I also think there are a lot of guys out there that will be in that top 20 who have won a lot of basketball games," Dunlap said. "They kind of know the expectations. I also think you'll see a lot of wheeling and dealing with teams moving down or up."
While Dunlap could have some input on draft day decisions, his primary focus has been on developing the players he has on the roster.
He's dove head-first into the challenge.
Known as a no-nonsense coach, Dunlap spent more than two hours Monday working with a handful of Bobcats players including Byron Mullens and last year's rookie lottery picks Kemba Walker and Bismack Biyombo. The practice was fast-paced and intense in nature.
"Their work ethic and their willingness to learn has been good," he said. "I hope so, it's the honeymoon and there's nothing at stake right now."
Dunlap, who previously worked as an assistant at St. John's, has also been working on assembling an assistant coaching staff, although nothing is imminent.
"We're going to take our time," Dunlap said. "As they say in the business, hire slow, fire fast. I know that one."

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/06/25/bobcats-pick.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

imbtyler
06-26-2012, 03:37 PM
This isn't at all a "Pacers-relevant" rumor, but the idea itself is a good one. After Davis, the draft switches up quite a bit. Too many variables, too many players who can (and will) impact a team positively. Especially for the Bobcats, who have so many holes to fill, and plenty of players in this draft (especially at #2) with which to do so. If they trade down, I would be interested to see what they get in return.

I'm not even going to entertain the "possibility" of the Pacers trading up to #2 overall. That would take way too many assets, with few to none returning.

Jeremy
06-26-2012, 03:53 PM
Pacers trade
Danny Granger

Bobcats trade
Gerald Henderson

I would love to do this trade and then pick MKG or Robinson, I just don't know if the trade actually works. Either way, this would be a good step for us. Henderson could come in and provide scoring when PG isn't knocking shots down, and Thomas Robinson or MKG would be great backups and would have good mentors (Dahntay or West).

BornReady#6
06-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Pacers trade
Danny Granger

Bobcats trade
Gerald Henderson

I would love to do this trade and then pick MKG or Robinson, I just don't know if the trade actually works. Either way, this would be a good step for us. Henderson could come in and provide scoring when PG isn't knocking shots down, and Thomas Robinson or MKG would be great backups and would have good mentors (Dahntay or West).

I would much rather throw in another player and get their 2014 1st rounder, which judging from their past is going to be a lottery pick, possibly the 1st overall (which we have never had) and at least have a chance a Jabari Parker, this kid is something special, and is going to be a franchise player, some are saying the next Lebron, but with morals.

ballism
06-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Pacers trade
Danny Granger

Bobcats trade
Gerald Henderson

I would much rather throw in another player and get their 2014 1st rounder, which judging from their past is going to be a lottery pick, possibly the 1st overall (which we have never had) and at least have a chance a Jabari Parker, this kid is something special, and is going to be a franchise player, some are saying the next Lebron, but with morals.

All Pacers guys 29 years and older + #26 + future late picks
for
All Bobcats guys 24 and younger + #2 + future high lottery picks

Where do I sign? I'll add Jeff Foster's Bird rights, if necessary.

idioteque
06-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Granger+Dahntay+26 for 2 (draft MKG) would be the most I would be willing to give up. Hopefully it would be less than that.

The notion that they might trade their 2014 pick is highly, highly unlikely.

PacerPride33
06-26-2012, 04:32 PM
At this point I would take Bradley beal at no.2 if pacers were able to move up. Hopefully KP or DW have made a phone call

BornReady#6
06-26-2012, 04:40 PM
At this point I would take Bradley beal at no.2 if pacers were able to move up. Hopefully KP or DW have made a phone call

I like Beal too, and I think Robinson will pan out, but I think Lillard is going to be the steal of the draft, and maybe best player to come out when we look back. MKG imo isnt going to be the player everyone thinks.

ballism
06-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Honestly, the idea that we can get the #2 without giving up our young core, or doing some complicated 3 team trade, seems ridiculous.

Banta
06-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Honestly, the idea that we can get the #2 without giving up our young core, or doing some complicated 3 team trade, seems ridiculous.

yeah, but then again this is Michael Jordan running their franchise, so...

Really?
06-26-2012, 04:47 PM

Thanks, was waiting for someone to say that.

I also would like to add for the amount that we would have to pay the #2 guy compared to just getting in the mid lottery and getting a player of the same caliber or close to it I would rather make that move than moving to #2

Dream Scenario would be to package DC and a pick move up grab Terrence Ross in the late lottery and grab a back up PG in free agency or trade for a early 2nd and take who ever is left between Teague, Taylor, Machado, and Wroten, possibly even give Jared Cunningham a chance.

PacerGuy
06-26-2012, 04:47 PM
You guys are under-estimating the value of the #2.
Granger, Tyler & 26 would not get it done, let alone adding Henderson, IMO.

BornReady#6
06-26-2012, 04:51 PM
You guys are under-estimating the value of the #2.
Granger, Tyler & 26 would not get it done, let alone adding Henderson, IMO.

HUH? Granger > 2nd pick (excluding the fall of davis)

Just dreaming but getting the 2 and 2014, picking Parker, then having a core of Lillard, PG, RoyH, and Parker is just something that makes me smile.

shags
06-26-2012, 04:56 PM

Just dreaming but getting the 2 and 2014, picking Parker, then having a core of Lillard, PG, RoyH, and Parker is just something that makes me smile.

Bobcats already owe the Bulls a future first from the Tyrus Thomas trade, so they couldn't do that deal even if they wanted to.

Heisenberg
06-26-2012, 04:58 PM
You don't build a franchise by trading a top 2 pick for a package centered around a 29 year old 1 time All Stars with 27 million dollars left on their contract. Especially not when you currently probably don't have playoff caliber starter on your roster.

tadscout
06-26-2012, 05:01 PM
Why would they trade away Gerald Wallace, and then trade the #2 for a 29 year old Danny Granger while they are trying to rebuild?

Steagles
06-26-2012, 05:35 PM
The Kitties have never failed to royally screw up a high pick, so I expect them to pick a complete bust or make a terrible trade.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk

Jeremy
06-26-2012, 05:53 PM
All Pacers guys 29 years and older + #26 + future late picks
for
All Bobcats guys 24 and younger + #2 + future high lottery picks

Where do I sign? I'll add Jeff Foster's Bird rights, if necessary.
They wouldn't trade Kemba to us unless we added PG.

ballism
06-26-2012, 06:02 PM
i was joking there.

PacerGuy
06-26-2012, 06:08 PM
Bobcats should move the #2 to Cleveland for the #4 (still get T.Robinson), & add say Cle's #24 &/or other assets.
Heck, I'd even then consider moving down to 7-8 to a team wanting Lillard befor Por grabs him @ 5.
Not sure if T.Rob gets past Por, but he could. If that happens, w/ the additional picks/ assets they could really improve much quicker.

cdash
06-26-2012, 09:26 PM
I think today's deal for Ben Gordon was a precursor to a trade down, most likely with Cleveland. Beal seems to have emerged as the #2 pick and Cleveland wants him. Charlotte just traded for Ben Gordon, who is hardly the answer, but it seems to me that if they moved down, picked up a few assets, and still landed Thomas Robinson or MKG, it would behoove them in the long run.

Karlton
06-27-2012, 10:44 AM
The pick is available if you take back Tyrus Thomas...

3rdStrike
06-27-2012, 11:58 AM
The pick is available if you take back Tyrus Thomas...

As bad as he's been recently, he's better than Tyler Hansbrough. The Hibbert situation is interesting...if his agent is asking max money I would hope the Pacers would S&T him for a package including lottery picks.

imawhat
06-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Why would they trade away Gerald Wallace, and then trade the #2 for a 29 year old Danny Granger while they are trying to rebuild?

You shouldn't ask rhetorical questions when referring to the Bobcats. They don't operate using reason.

Heisenberg
06-27-2012, 12:01 PM
As bad as he's been recently, he's better than Tyler Hansbrough. The Hibbert situation is interesting...if his agent is asking max money I would hope the Pacers would S&T him for a package including lottery picks.
Thomas is also due like 25 million over the next 3.

ballism
06-27-2012, 12:17 PM
You shouldn't ask rhetorical questions when referring to the Bobcats. They don't operate using reason.

jokes aside, they always have strategy, they just often failed evaluating individual talent or overdid things.
For example, trading Wallace in order to rebuild; a sensible strategy, but if they waited, they could've ended up with the #6 pick from the Nets instead of a couple crappy picks.
trading #2 for a vet would be out of character for them.

also, we need to keep in mind that they have a good GM now in Rich Cho, who's done very well in the short time with the Blazers and now the Bobcats.
He's a lot like Presti in terms of how he wants to build his team.

tadscout
06-27-2012, 12:26 PM

In the past yes... I believe they are turning the corner with Rich Cho.

OlBlu
06-27-2012, 12:36 PM

With that attitude, you will never have a superstar playing for the Pacers. They have only had one in the last thirty years. Hibbert is the player you build everything around. He keeps getting better every year and he is a real center and there are not that many of them in the NBA. Who is better? Dwight Howard, Andrew Bynum, and then who? He is also a solid citizen and those are also hard to find. Pay big Roy and keep him as the centerpiece. Trade Granger if you must, he is certainly overpaid. :cool:

OlBlu
06-27-2012, 12:39 PM

Lillard might be the most unathletic player in the draft. Yes, he is a good passer but not a good defender and he lacks speed. All of those picks under #1 have big flaws. The best bargains in this draft will be the big men like Zeller, Fab Mello and others.......:cool:

pacer4ever
06-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Lillard might be the most unathletic player in the draft. Yes, he is a good passer but not a good defender and he lacks speed. All of those picks under #1 have big flaws. The best bargains in this draft will be the big men like Zeller, Fab Mello and others.......:cool::hmm::wtf2:
:laugh::laugh:

This is the funniest thing I have heard on here since someone called Eric Gordon unathlethic

Have you ever watched the kid play?? He is proablly the most athletic kid in the draft. He isnt Westbrook athletic but he is in that tier below him

IDK are you just trolling?? Or have you ever even seen the kid play kid. I have called him a great elite athlete for almost 2 years now I really dont see how any sane person can watch him play and call him slow and unathlethic:laugh:

Not a good defender?? Disagree on that statement also.

3rdStrike
06-27-2012, 01:45 PM
With that attitude, you will never have a superstar playing for the Pacers. They have only had one in the last thirty years. Hibbert is the player you build everything around. He keeps getting better every year and he is a real center and there are not that many of them in the NBA. Who is better? Dwight Howard, Andrew Bynum, and then who? He is also a solid citizen and those are also hard to find. Pay big Roy and keep him as the centerpiece. Trade Granger if you must, he is certainly overpaid. :cool:

I know you're a fan of tall bigs and not much of a fan of dynamic wings (which is what the NBA is about these days), but if you're considering Hibbert as being near superstar status then I think you're mistaken. He was absolutely abused by Glen Davis. He is super slow, can't back lighter guys down and he's afraid to dunk the ball, which means his offense is almost entirely 5 foot hook shots. I really do like Hibbert, but not at max money. No way. If another team is willing to give him the max I'd S&T him for an average center and a strong package of 1st rounders.

Being strong at center and OK everywhere else doesn't win in the East. We just learned that. Being average at center and strong elsewhere doesn't hurt in the East.

PacersFan1991
06-27-2012, 05:57 PM
http://blog.newsok.com/thunderrumblings/2012/06/27/could-bradley-beal-soon-be-wearing-thunder-blue/

Harden to the Bobcats for the #2 Pick?

CableKC
06-27-2012, 06:10 PM
http://blog.newsok.com/thunderrumblings/2012/06/27/could-bradley-beal-soon-be-wearing-thunder-blue/

Wow....Harden would be going from the best Team in the West to the worst Team in the entire League.

OlBlu
06-27-2012, 06:24 PM
I know you're a fan of tall bigs and not much of a fan of dynamic wings (which is what the NBA is about these days), but if you're considering Hibbert as being near superstar status then I think you're mistaken. He was absolutely abused by Glen Davis. He is super slow, can't back lighter guys down and he's afraid to dunk the ball, which means his offense is almost entirely 5 foot hook shots. I really do like Hibbert, but not at max money. No way. If another team is willing to give him the max I'd S&T him for an average center and a strong package of 1st rounders.

Being strong at center and OK everywhere else doesn't win in the East. We just learned that. Being average at center and strong elsewhere doesn't hurt in the East.

You don't win that way. You win by being strong where your opponents are weak and just trying to neutralize where they are strong. I disagree with you about Hibbert. His max is far from the league max... He is worth it and someone will certainly make that offer.... :cool:

OlBlu
06-27-2012, 06:27 PM
:hmm::wtf2:
:laugh::laugh:

This is the funniest thing I have heard on here since someone called Eric Gordon unathlethic

Have you ever watched the kid play?? He is proablly the most athletic kid in the draft. He isnt Westbrook athletic but he is in that tier below him

IDK are you just trolling?? Or have you ever even seen the kid play kid. I have called him a great elite athlete for almost 2 years now I really dont see how any sane person can watch him play and call him slow and unathlethic:laugh:

Not a good defender?? Disagree on that statement also.

Actually it wasn't my comment, I was repeating what USA Today had to say about him yesterday....:cool: I think the centers in this draft offer the most value and most possibilities.... I know some are high on Zeller but he has length problems and no upside (again from USA Today this morning). Fab Mello needs development but he is long and he has a world of upside according to USA Today......:cool:

spreedom
06-27-2012, 06:30 PM

As much as guys like MKG and Beal have promise, I would trade the rights to #2 for Harden in a heartbeat.