PDA

View Full Version : Pacers going after Brandon Roy

yoadknux
06-26-2012, 02:04 AM
long and boring article, i'll post what matters

As ex-Portland Trail Blazer Brandon Roy plans his comeback to the NBA, the Chicago Bulls, Dallas Mavericks, Indiana Pacers and Minnesota Timberwolves have emerged as serious suitors to sign the former All-Star guard, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Pacers executive Kevin Pritchard made a draft day deal for Roy in 2006 as Blazers GM, and his relationship could play a pivotal part in Indiana's recruitment of Roy, sources said. Roy trusts Pritchard, and values the fact that he brought him to Portland. Nevertheless, Roy hasn't begun the process of narrowing his list of possibilities. After Thursday's draft, more teams could express interest in him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--brandon-roy-s-top-suitors-are-bulls--mavs--pacers-and-t-wolves--sources-say.html

Hypnotiq
06-26-2012, 02:10 AM
Would be great off the pine heaps better than Barbosa

Day-V
06-26-2012, 02:20 AM
Could you imagine a Double Roy Double George lineup? Slick's head would explode.

Psyren
06-26-2012, 02:29 AM
Could be a real steal at the right price

xtacy
06-26-2012, 02:33 AM
i hope we get him for the right price of course. i just love him as a player.

CableKC
06-26-2012, 02:38 AM
Seriously, if our window is 2 years with Granger on board....I'd offer him whatever $$$ ( and even more ) that TPTB would throw at JCraw or any other vet....if there was a decent insurance that came along with him...I'd go as far as a 3 year deal.

If his body was up to it....heck, I'd even play him ahead of George in the Starting lineup. If he's even 75% of what he was before...he'd be able to help facilitate and lead this Team on the floor.

This is what KP was brought here to do.....bring in Brandon Roy!!!!

Heck, who else has KP brought into the Blazers while he was there? We already had Pendegraph ( which I wouldn't be surprised if KP was in Bird's ear when it comes to his signing ). I wouldn't be surprised if we went after past Blazers players that KP drafted/signed when he was running the show in Portland ( like Rudy Fernandez or DreMiller :shrug: )

imbtyler
06-26-2012, 02:50 AM
I have always loved BRoy's game. When I heard he was retiring because of his knees, I shed a tear for a fallen great. However, if he could come back, even 75% of what he was before, he would still be a great player, with the same smart level of basketball IQ, and the mind of a veteran. I would LOVE for him to play for the Pacers for some mid-level money over a couple years, with incentives. But at the end of the day, I would just be happy if he got back into the league and continued to play well, for any team (except the Bulls).

Editor's Note: I would also like to mention that, for (at most) the same money that could gather Crawford, or even Mayo, we could have someone who doesn't just chuck shots, but rather makes them when necessary. His gamewinner vs. Houston a few years ago is still one of my favorite shots in NBA history. I was watching live, saw it happen, and jumped up and down on my bed afterward. I just really love that guy (pause).

rexnom
06-26-2012, 03:25 AM
Unclear how good he still is.

Pingu
06-26-2012, 03:55 AM
Does he have knees?

TMJ31
06-26-2012, 05:11 AM
I am just concerned with his knee issues.

Having severe knee issues myself (Although not access to doctors and procedures an NBA athlete does of course) and having seen players like Bender have their careers shut down early...

It makes me root for a great young player like Brandon Roy, but it also makes me nervous for my team to take on his contract.

If Pritchard can make a run at "his guy" and get him here for a deal that makes sense for both the Pacers and Brandon, then I am 100% for it, assuming his rehab truly has gotten him to a point where he can reasonably assume a comeback is feasible.

ErikD.
06-26-2012, 05:18 AM
Seriously, if our window is 2 years with Granger on board....I'd offer him whatever $$$ ( and even more ) that TPTB would throw at JCraw or any other vet....if there was a decent insurance that came along with him...I'd go as far as a 3 year deal.

If his body was up to it....heck, I'd even play him ahead of George in the Starting lineup. If he's even 75% of what he was before...he'd be able to help facilitate and lead this Team on the floor.

This is what KP was brought here to do.....bring in Brandon Roy!!!!

I'm with you on this. Roy was my favorite player that wasn't a Pacer. That guy has got heart. If there are any guys with the will to come back after an injury like that, he is one of them.

D-BONE
06-26-2012, 07:19 AM
All contingent on sound health/physical condition. Step two: if step one true I suspect there will be even more competition for him when it's all said and done. Could be a nice get if all elements work out, including price tag.

Speed
06-26-2012, 07:43 AM
At one point, he was one of the best closers in the game, imo. Let him play 20 - 25 mins a game, 60 games in the regular season, to keep him fresh, he's big time clutch, or he used to be.

Heisenberg
06-26-2012, 07:44 AM
So's he had anything new done, surgery, some of that weird platelet therapy, anything, since he's been retired? Or is it just "hey, haven't played in a long time, feel pretty good now. Comeback!"

Mac_Daddy
06-26-2012, 08:17 AM
I love that we're looking at Roy. I fear that we will overpay and that he will not be able to contribute much due to his knees. I can only hope I'm wrong on both parts of the latter statement.

wintermute
06-26-2012, 08:20 AM

He was still putting up good games just before his retirement, notably a 24 pt, 4 reb, 5 ast effort in a round 1 victory over eventual champion Dallas. From reading Blazer blogs, it seems that the talent is still there but he retired because he couldn't cope with the pain anymore. After a year off, it seems he's ready to give it another go.

I think he's still a difference maker, which isn't something you can say about most FAs in the market. A 2-3 year above MLE deal seems like a reasonable gamble.

wintermute
06-26-2012, 08:24 AM
So's he had anything new done, surgery, some of that weird platelet therapy, anything, since he's been retired? Or is it just "hey, haven't played in a long time, feel pretty good now. Comeback!"

Well from Woj's article:

Roy's recovery from chronic knee problems has been recently spurred by undergoing the platelet rich plasma therapy procedure that Lakers star Kobe Bryant popularized with NBA players, sources said. The blood spinning procedure gave profound relief to the knees of Bryant, Tracy McGrady and baseball star Alex Rodriguez.

So I guess he has? Though like you I'm suspecting he's just feeling good after a long rest.

Ace E.Anderson
06-26-2012, 08:32 AM
As long as he could accept the fact that he's NOT the player he once was. He was never able to stay on the court his last few yrs in Portland, and didn't like coming off the bench for Wesley Matthews. IF his knees are up to it (big if) I wouldn't mind him coming off the bench to facilitate the offense and provide some veteran leadership. It'd have to be for cheap. And not even MLE cheap. He needs to prove he can stay healthy before we're shoveling $5 million plus to a guy that can't play half the season.

BRushWithDeath
06-26-2012, 08:38 AM
I've said this basically anytime Brandon Roy's name has come up. He is unequivocally one of my five favorite players of all time.

I would root like hell for him whether he was here or anywhere else. But I can't see it happening. It's not like he just had an unlucky ACL tear and needed a full year to recover. This is a degenerative condition that has completely eroded away any shred of cartilage in both knees. I can't see a player being able to overcome that. Hopefully I am wrong.

Steagles
06-26-2012, 08:44 AM
I'd love Roy as a limited player off the bench. Offer him 5 mil :signit:

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk

Unclebuck
06-26-2012, 08:50 AM
I would love to have him. Keep in mid his game was not primarily based upon his athleticism. he was an excellent athlete, but that wasn't what made him so good. He was a great clutch player, very smart and had a great feel for how to play. So if he has lost lets say 40% of his athletic ability, he can still be a very good player.

Trader Joe
06-26-2012, 09:00 AM

Significantly better than any guard off of our bench currently. A huge upgrade if he is simply filling Barbosa's role.

Kstat
06-26-2012, 09:04 AM
It's all premature as nobody knows if he can even still play or not. If he makes it through training camp and preseason, then there might be something to this.

Personally, I'm rooting for him because he seems like a good guy that's had his dream crushed far too soon. I just want to know exactly what he has left in the tank.

graphic-er
06-26-2012, 09:11 AM
He has no knees! Hasn't played the game professionally in over a year. I smell a training camp injury. Damn it. Bird gone and now we get Donnie, and now we get Pritchard trying to reignite the past of players who shouldn't be playing anymore!

Kstat
06-26-2012, 09:16 AM
antonio mcdyess had gruesome knee issues at came back at the age of 30 to have a stellar 6 years to close his career and he almost never got hurt again.

Obviously, Roy can't be the same guy he used to be, but depending on what he's still capable of, he could be a very effective 3rd guard.

...or he could not make it out of training camp. We just don't know.

Unclebuck
06-26-2012, 09:20 AM
He has no knees! Hasn't played the game professionally in over a year. I smell a training camp injury. Damn it. Bird gone and now we get Donnie, and now we get Pritchard trying to reignite the past of players who shouldn't be playing anymore!

You don't know if that is true. I don't know it isn't. But neither of us know if he can play or not.

Look at T-Mac - he's been a decent pickup for the Hawks. if Roy can be the same for us, I don't see why signing him to a reasonable contract is a bad idea.

Derek2k3
06-26-2012, 09:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnGs57A-O0w

Well worth watching all the way through. The end is a montage of game winners :jawdrop:

This guy was one of my favorite post-Reggie years players. If he's comfortable with a 10-15 mpg workload, with occasional games of 20-25 minutes, I'm all in. Get Corbiel and co to do what they do.

PR07
06-26-2012, 09:44 AM
I saw him play in Portland a year back in the postseason when he came off the bench after missing quite a bit of time due to his knees, I can't remember who they played but he still looked pretty good. Honestly, he's a very good ball handler and passer for the 2, and could even play some point guard for us in a pinch. We need more guys like this.

Derek2k3
06-26-2012, 09:49 AM
Just to reiterate what someone else had posted, Roy retired due to pain, not due to being unable to play.

That series against Dallas had a couple vintage Brandon Roy performances...the problem was emotional (Didn't deal with being removed from the starting lineup) and recovery (Knees hurt unbelievably badly).

I really doubt there is a question if he can produce, only if he can handle the pain/understand his role.

Kstat
06-26-2012, 10:10 AM
He has no cartilage in his knees. That needs to be repeated over and over again until it sinks in. It isn't a matter of playing through discomfort.

The question is, how much does that extreme pain allow him to do on a nightly basis. At a certain level, you cant simply suck it up and play through it.

Since86
06-26-2012, 10:26 AM
If he gets a contract and is unable to play, he'll have to retire again. His contract will then be picked up by insurance, so really there isn't a whole lot of financial risk.

EDIT: Assuming his knees are insurable.

Ace E.Anderson
06-26-2012, 10:30 AM
He has no cartilage in his knees. That needs to be repeated over and over again until it sinks in. It isn't a matter of playing through discomfort.

The question is, how much does that extreme pain allow him to do on a nightly basis. At a certain level, you cant simply suck it up and play through it.

I dont know if it's the same sort of condition, but D. Blair on the Sprus has this same problem and has been able to play through it pretty well. Now obviously a big man like Blair wont need to make the same cuts and stop-n-go movements that a perimeter player would need to make, but it can be done.

People are making the case that he could be a T-mac type of acquisition. If thats all we're looking for in a bench player, then why not get someone that we know will be 100% healthy. If we're going to go after Roy, I would hope that we would have hopes of him being more than that. It's just a matter of determining whether or not he would be able to be more than that ever again.

Since86
06-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Blair doesn't have the same condition.

Hicks
06-26-2012, 11:04 AM
I've said this basically anytime Brandon Roy's name has come up. He is unequivocally one of my five favorite players of all time.

I would root like hell for him whether he was here or anywhere else. But I can't see it happening. It's not like he just had an unlucky ACL tear and needed a full year to recover. This is a degenerative condition that has completely eroded away any shred of cartilage in both knees. I can't see a player being able to overcome that. Hopefully I am wrong.

That, and what I recall hearing on either the BS Report or NBA Today a while back is that this procedure Kobe et al got in Germany does NOT heal or regenerate so much as it just brings comfort. Made it sound like these guys will be walking with canes after retirement if they keep pushing it.

Kemo
06-26-2012, 11:38 AM
oh noes, the combination of any player with knee issues coupled along with the re-emergence of Donnie Walsh in the front office is giving me flashbacks..lol

Ace E.Anderson
06-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Zach Lowe: Have spoken to three sports medicine experts who say platelet-rich-plasma therapy would have little/no value to Brandon Roy

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

*astrisk*
06-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Brandon Roy is JUST the right player the Pacers need right now! If he can produce anything at all in a limited role, and we can get him for reasonable?

This could be THAT move...

Jeremy
06-26-2012, 12:26 PM
I want him if he can come back and be 75% of the player he was.

McDunken
06-26-2012, 12:41 PM
As my friend Chet says, he will only allow b-Roy to join if he is 5x 5x 5x 5x 5x the player he use to be

aero
06-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Could you imagine a Double Roy Double George lineup? Slick's head would explode.

Yeah it would lol

CableKC
06-26-2012, 02:11 PM
Would the Insurance Companies insure his knees?

If so, even for 1/3 of his contract......I'd be all for offering him a 2 year contract with a guaranteed role on the Team playing as many minutes that he can handle.

habart30
06-26-2012, 02:59 PM

As long he doesn't cost us too much.. why not? He's young (28), a proven talent, and if healthy would certainly help our weakness at SG

Gamble1
06-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Would the Insurance Companies insure his knees?

If so, even for 1/3 of his contract......I'd be all for offering him a 2 year contract with a guaranteed role on the Team playing as many minutes that he can handle.
What does that matter unless your the owner. The cap numbers won't change and as a fan thats all that matters to me.

Sandman21
06-30-2012, 06:33 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--brandon-roy-to-meet-with-bulls--pacers--mavericks-and-timberwolves.html

Brandon Roy to meet with Bulls, Pacers, Mavericks and Timberwolves

Former Portland Trail Blazers star Brandon Roy has narrowed his free-agent finalists to the Chicago Bulls, Dallas Mavericks, Indiana Pacers, Minnesota Timberwolves and Golden State Warriors, league sources said. He expects to hold meetings with those teams over the next several days.

Roy and his agent, Greg Lawrence of Wasserman Media Group, are likely to host officials from most, if not all, of the teams in Roy’s hometown of Seattle, sources said. Each of the finalists have connections that intrigue Roy, sources said.

After leaving the NBA at the start of last season because of chronic knee problems, Roy has recovered after undergoing the platelet-rich plasma therapy procedure that Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant had in Germany last year. Some teams pursuing Roy privately say they’re willing to offer a contract for longer than one season, despite his knee issues, league sources said.

The opportunity to play with Dirk Nowitzki and possibly Deron Williams – as well as a respect for Mavericks owner Mark Cuban’s winning culture – is a lure for Roy with Dallas. The Pacers' young core and new general manager Kevin Pritchard – who drafted Ro y in Portland – is an appeal in Indiana. Timberwolves coach Rick Adelman has former Blazers assistant Bill Bayno on his staff, and point guard Ricky Rubio and forward Kevin Love intrigue Roy. The possibility of playing with Bulls guard Derrick Rose and for coach Tom Thibodeau also interests Roy.

After team doctors pushed Roy to stop playing last year, the Blazers used the league’s new amnesty provision to pay him the remaining $63 million on his contract and make him a free agent. He’s been working out for several months and planning a comeback.

Roy played five often spectacular seasons for the Blazers where he became a three-time All-Star. He's averaged 19 points for his career.

kent beckley
06-30-2012, 06:46 PM
If we got Roy to be the 15-20 minute lightning rod off the bench, we would have quite a bit of insurance on the team in Lance and OJ if and when Roy would need to take a few nights/ a few weeks off in the middle of the season.

The biggest question is, how much would he cost. I would not hesitate at 2-3 million.

5-6 million would definitely make me have strong reservations.

daschysta
06-30-2012, 06:49 PM
If the price is reasonable I would LOVE to have Roy. Even right before he retired he had some huge, huge games in the playoffs. If his time off has helped him rehab a bit, and he's good to play 15-20 minutes off of the bench then he could be a huuuugee asset. He plays such a smart game, and if he's good for the time earlier stated the payoff relative to the investment could potentially be staggeringly huge.

Maybe the Kevin Pritchard factor and our medical staff's sterling reputation and the risks involved will convince him to sign here for a relatively cheap offer, which we would be wise to take a flyer on.

yoadknux
06-30-2012, 07:00 PM
I hope we get him. Brandon Roy has been one of my fav players and I thought his story was tragic. If he would understand his role then he would be great for us.

Smits Happens
06-30-2012, 07:12 PM
I loved how in that article they didn't even bother mentioning what the appeal of the Warriors would be.

yoadknux
06-30-2012, 07:15 PM
I loved how in that article they didn't even bother mentioning what the appeal of the Warriors would be.
sunny beaches

Pacers
06-30-2012, 07:33 PM
http://abekoby.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/got_a_bad_feeling.jpeg

Steagles
06-30-2012, 07:37 PM
If we signed him, and he could play 10 minutes a night, I'd be happy. He can step up for the game winner and we have no one that can consistently.

Pacer Fan
06-30-2012, 07:39 PM
The man with little to no cartilage in his knees, has a degenerative problem. Has played like 120 games in 3 years...hmmm.

I'd have to pass unless it's like 3-4 mil per w/ team options. Heck, let's bring Greg Oden in for 2 mil per w/ team options.

CableKC
06-30-2012, 08:05 PM
sunny beaches
There are no sunny beaches in Oakland.

CableKC
06-30-2012, 08:08 PM
If we signed him, and he could play 10 minutes a night, I'd be happy. He can step up for the game winner and we have no one that can consistently.
Unless his Doctors say that he is limited to 10 mpg....he's not going to come to Indy ( or any Team ) just to play for 10 minutes a game. I'd leave it open.....I'd offer him the chance to play as many minutes as he can handle and however many minutes the Team Doctors would allow him to play.

RLeWorm
06-30-2012, 08:11 PM
Brandon Roy is smart enough to find different ways to score the ball. Bring him to Indy!

Will Galen
06-30-2012, 08:19 PM

Everyone knows the appeal there is the opportunity to play with Brandon Rush a fellow BR'er.

CableKC
06-30-2012, 08:40 PM
What does that matter unless your the owner. The cap numbers won't change and as a fan thats all that matters to me.
I'm not concerned about the impact to the Salary Cap....but I can see why it would be it would matter to a Cost-Conscious Owner that maybe considering whether they want to offer a 2 to 3 year guaranteed Contract to a Player with obvious problems about his knees. Insurance makes a huge difference....look at the situation the Knicks are in with Amare, his uninsured knees with his $64 mil contract.

The problem is that I doubt that insurance will cover a Player with known knee problems.

BlueNGold
06-30-2012, 10:43 PM
The man with little to no cartilage in his knees, has a degenerative problem. Has played like 120 games in 3 years...hmmm.

I'd have to pass unless it's like 3-4 mil per w/ team options. Heck, let's bring Greg Oden in for 2 mil per w/ team options.

JO is not coming back. Just get that out of your head...

Steagles
06-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Unless his Doctors say that he is limited to 10 mpg....he's not going to come to Indy ( or any Team ) just to play for 10 minutes a game. I'd leave it open.....I'd offer him the chance to play as many minutes as he can handle and however many minutes the Team Doctors would allow him to play.

I meant that as a floor for possible minutes rather than a limit, unless he can't physically.

ECKrueger
06-30-2012, 11:37 PM
It would be funny and confusing to have Brandon Roy and Roy Hibbert and Paul George and George Hill :laugh: