PDA

View Full Version : Sportsnet: Sources say Steve Nash has a "shortlist of three teams" (but....)

imbtyler
06-22-2012, 07:42 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/2012/06/22/na****hree_team_shortlist/

Phoenix Suns guard Steve Nash (http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/players/Steve_Nash) has a shortlist of three teams, one of which is Toronto, sources have told Sportsnet 590 The Fan's Eric Smith."I heard from national-media types from around the U.S., and at least one prominent agent as well, that believe that Steve Nash (http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/players/Steve_Nash) has a shortlist," Smith said.
"From what I have heard from these people, and they could be wrong, but these are coming from some pretty legitimate sources, it is a three-team race for Steve Nash (http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/players/Steve_Nash) in free agency: Portland, Phoenix and Toronto," Smith explained.
NBA analyst Jack Armstrong, who was a guest on Smith's show, liked the Raptors odds against the Suns and Blazers in the battle for the Canadian point guard's services.
"I like Toronto's chances. I really do. I think they are going to make a major push for him. I think the connections are there from a personality perspective, with Brian Colangelo and Jay Triano, and the fact that he is now the GM of Canada Basketball," Armstrong explained.
"It's not (only) about these three years, and it is, but it is also about the next 30 years and what market gives you the best opportunities in terms of your business interests and long-term opportunities in terms of promotion and business and being a face of a team," he said.

Sounds like Nash isn't even remotely interested in playing in Indiana. Portland, Phoenix and Toronto? :rolleyes: What an awful shortlist. Phoenix would have to draft and sign their way into Nash's good graces. Nash is Canadian, so signing with Toronto makes sense. And Portland has need at PG, but they cannot (and probably will not) compete for a title with the assets they have now.

Obviously, a lot of us are hoping to get Nash, because he can definitely make an impact on this team. However, it seems that, despite listing "wanting to win" as a reason for leaving Phoenix, Nash is more concerned with playing at home, playing where he's played before, or playing for a team whose winning possibilities do not increase enough with Nash on the team.

I personally feel adding Nash would help us get better. Perhaps the same in Toronto. But if this rumor of a "shortlist" is true, then I guess we should stop getting our hopes up that Bird will be able to bring him to Indy.

presto123
06-22-2012, 07:47 PM
C'mon Nash. What are you thinking?

spreedom
06-22-2012, 07:47 PM
If you believe that list, you also believe that Nash has zero interest in winning a championship. I think Phoenix is the frontrunner if they can demonstrate competence this offseason, but that teams like Dallas, LA Lakers, and Houston would also be in the mix.

presto123
06-22-2012, 07:49 PM
If you believe that list, you also believe that Nash has zero interest in winning a championship. I think Phoenix is the frontrunner if they can demonstrate competence this offseason, but that teams like Dallas, LA Lakers, and Houston would also be in the mix.

Yeah....can't imagine he wouldn't have some interest in the Lakers. They need a PG bad.

Hypnotiq
I think its rubbish his shortlist

there's no way he would have crossed off Dallas already

idioteque
"It's not (only) about these three years, and it is, but it is also about the next 30 years and what market gives you the best opportunities in terms of your business interests and long-term opportunities in terms of promotion and business and being a face of a team"

Nash isn't going to be the face of a team anywhere at this point in his career, except maybe Toronto because he's Canadian. But this is an interesting point and will ALWAYS lead to Indiana having somewhat of a disadvantage as a free agent destination.

Will Galen
06-22-2012, 08:11 PM
Phoenix Suns guard Steve Nash (http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/players/Steve_Nash) has a shortlist of three teams, one of which is Toronto, sources have told Sportsnet 590 The Fan's Eric Smith."I heard from national-media types from around the U.S., and at least one prominent agent as well, that believe that Steve Nash (http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/players/Steve_Nash) has a shortlist,"

For crying outloud guys think . . . national-media types think Nash has a short list . . . well I believe this is just a column filler. Nash himself has said he will listen to anyone, and teams can't deal with free agents until July 1st. Nash doesn't even know what teams will offer yet, and yet he has a short list? Nonsense if you ask me.

LG33
06-22-2012, 08:18 PM
I don't know if his family and friends are still there, but Nash spent a lot of his youth in Victoria, British Columbia, and Portland is the closest NBA city (thanks to Clay Bennett).

Hicks
06-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Phoenix Suns guard Steve Nash (http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/players/Steve_Nash) has a shortlist of three teams, one of which is Toronto, sources have told Sportsnet 590 The Fan's Eric Smith."I heard from national-media types from around the U.S., and at least one prominent agent as well, that believe that Steve Nash (http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/players/Steve_Nash) has a shortlist,"

For crying outloud guys think . . . national-media types think Nash has a short list . . . well I believe this is just a column filler. Nash himself has said he will listen to anyone, and teams can't deal with free agents until July 1st. Nash doesn't even know what teams will offer yet, and yet he has a short list? Nonsense if you ask me.

It also said 'at least one prominent agent as well'

Will Galen
06-22-2012, 08:34 PM
It also said 'at least one prominent agent as well'

I know that, but I still think the article is nonsense. Yes, Nash probably has teams he would like to play for, but to come out and say he has a list and name 3 teams? And none of them are contenders? Nope!

If I remember right for a long time Nash said he was going to stay with Phoenix, then he finally came out and said he would stay with Phoenix if they were competitive. Toronto and Portland won't be any better than if he stayed with Phoenix, if that's the case, why leave?

I believe that this is just a guy filling a column.

cdash
06-22-2012, 08:40 PM
I believe that this is just a guy filling a column.

Possibly true, but at the same time, I think this is a situation where people just don't want to believe it. These are the three teams that have consistently been mentioned with him for months. It's not some crap out of left field. People have wasted a lot of time talking about Nash and Deron Williams here, and since we are discussed it so much, we have slowly started to fool ourselves into thinking our chances are better than they actually are. He's not coming. Neither is Deron. Sorry, guys.

imbtyler
06-22-2012, 08:48 PM

I hope so. Nash seems like a smart guy. This doesn't really seem like his M.O. to act as ignorantly as some other high-end free agents (i.e. Dwight Howard, Deron Williams, etc.). I would hope that Nash takes a look at all the options this offseason and goes with the smartest choice. I would even go as far as saying I'm not acting like a homer in this case. What other team in the league has the cap space, talent, and cajones to take a star PG, such as Nash or Williams, and develop into a Finals contender?

Seriously, someone please help me name teams, besides the Pacers, who have the available cap space and loaded talent, to simply add Nash/DWill and be able to compete against the Thunder/Heat?

Bulls, Celtics, Hawks, Cavs, Wizards, T'Wolves, Clips, Bucks, Thunder, Warriors, and Sixers don't appear to have a NEED at point guard (Rose, Rondo, Teague, Irving, Wall, Rubio, Paul, Jennings, Westbrook, Curry, and Holiday, respectively). Those are just the ones mostly off the top of my head.

Other teams have point guards (obviously), but don't necessarily have a "great" PG. Those are just the decent players. Other teams have a need for PG, but can't afford it.

Obviously, Portland, Toronto, and Phoenix can afford to bring Nash in, but who else?

PR07
06-22-2012, 09:14 PM
Bird needs to put a full-court press on him. We offer him the best chance of both winning and getting paid fairly.

Steagles
06-22-2012, 09:51 PM
If Nash doesn't consider Dallas then he is an idiot. That said, I am sure he is considering Dallas and this article is BS.

Brad8888
06-23-2012, 12:00 AM
If Nash doesn't consider Dallas then he is an idiot. That said, I am sure he is considering Dallas and this article is BS.

I probably am remembering wrong, but I have thought that Nash and Cuban have not been on good terms since Nash left the Mavs. Is that wrong?

TheDon
06-23-2012, 12:50 AM
I think the medias supposed destinations for superstars are all ******** anyways and all have their own bias/agenda to feed anyhow. So unless their is some direct quote from steve nash and not "from what I have heard from these people" I could care less it's all just part of the game.

RLeWorm
06-23-2012, 01:09 AM
this is not even close to being true

ilive4sports
06-23-2012, 01:43 AM
I'm sorry, but this is a bunch of bs. Raptors, Blazers or Suns? LOL! People just say the Raptors because Nash is from Canada. Of course the Suns are on his list. And the Blazers, other than being the closest team to BC (which is still like 5 hours away), why the hell would he go there?

There are plenty of teams in a better position to win now that aren't on this list of his. Doesn't make sense.

ballism
06-23-2012, 02:39 AM
I'm sorry, but this is a bunch of bs. Raptors, Blazers or Suns? LOL! People just say the Raptors because Nash is from Canada. Of course the Suns are on his list. And the Blazers, other than being the closest team to BC (which is still like 5 hours away), why the hell would he go there?

There are plenty of teams in a better position to win now that aren't on this list of his. Doesn't make sense.

There may be better teams, but which of them can pay and need a star point guard? Basically, just us and the Mavs who are clearly looking to go after Deron first.

re Portland, why wouldn't he go there? Of that list, that's the only place that makes sense. They have a realistic shot to contend if he joins. Aldridge right now is as good as anyone that Nash ever played with, then they have Batum, they have a ton of cap space, the #6 pick in the draft and a super rich owner. And I believe they still don't have a coach, and they certainly can afford to hire anyone - SVG, D'Antoni, even Phil if he were interested.
Toronto, Phoenix don't make much sense to me if he's looking to compete. Blazers make the most sense, then Indiana, then probably the Mavs.

Steagles
06-23-2012, 06:54 AM
I probably am remembering wrong, but I have thought that Nash and Cuban have not been on good terms since Nash left the Mavs. Is that wrong?

Thats very possible, but I don't know for sure.

FlavaDave
06-23-2012, 07:49 AM
I think that he heard about this shortlist from second hand sources that he isn't fully confident in. Why do I think that? Because the article literally says "From what I have heard... And they could be wrong".

Is it possible that Steve Nash is walking about talking to people around the league about a firm list of three teams (and three teams only) that he wants to play for? Sure. But isn't it much more likely that Nash has mentioned Portland and Toronto as broad possibilities in idle conversations, and that has ballooned into a shortlist in the Internet information gold rush? My money is on that.

Either way you slice it, the article literally says that it could be wrong, so any argument that this "short list" is set in stone is silly.

Jeremy
06-23-2012, 09:13 AM
Good I don't want him here anyway.

LA_Confidential
06-23-2012, 09:21 AM
"Short list" is exactly what it is. If he signs with either of those teams hell come of short of even competing for a championship. Let alone winning one. The only option out of those three that I'd even advocate would be Toronto.

BlueNGold
06-23-2012, 10:02 PM
If that's his short list, he doesn't care if he gets a ring. He wants to be paid big bucks, live in nice cities and maybe retire in Canada.

OlBlu
06-23-2012, 10:07 PM
I don't understand the facination with Nash. He is getting old and slowing down. He has never played defense. He has never shown that he can lead a team to any championship. He is a great offensive player but that is not all there is to it. He gets torched regularly by whoever he has to guard. I just don't think his style of play wins against fast company and he would be a step back, not forward.........:cool:

MiaDragon
06-23-2012, 10:16 PM
I don't understand the facination with Nash. He is getting old and slowing down. He has never played defense. He has never shown that he can lead a team to any championship. He is a great offensive player but that is not all there is to it. He gets torched regularly by whoever he has to guard. I just don't think his style of play wins against fast company and he would be a step back, not forward.........:cool:

NBA career highlights
2 NBA Most Valuable Player: 2005, 2006
8 NBA All-Star: 2002–03, 2005–08, 2010, 2012
7 All-NBA selection:
First team: 2005–07
Second team: 2008, 2010
Third team: 2002, 2003
2 NBA All-Star Weekend Skills Challenge winner: 2005, 2010
5 NBA regular season leader for assists per game: 2005 (11.5), 2006 (10.5), 2007 (11.6), 2010 (11.0), 2011 (11.4)[8]
5 NBA regular season leader for total assists: 2005 (861), 2006 (826), 2007 (884), 2010 (892), 2011 (855)[8]
2 NBA regular season leader for free-throw percentage: 2006 (.921), 2010 (.938)[8]
7 NBA regular season leader for assists per 48 minutes: 2004 (12.6),[59] 2005 (16.1),[60] 2006 (14.2),[61] 2007 (15.8),[62] 2008 (15.5),[63] 2010 (16.1), 2011 (16.4)

ballism
06-23-2012, 10:48 PM
If that's his short list, he doesn't care if he gets a ring. He wants to be paid big bucks, live in nice cities and maybe retire in Canada.

He clearly doesn't care in the Gary Payton sense. He won't leave all the money and join a team that can win with or without him. In that sense, Reggie didn't care either.

But keep in mind that all of those teams can add Nash AND one or two lottery rookies AND another max level player (or spend it on several very good free agents).

It's not just money and nice cities. Any of those teams can win 50+ games next year and go deep, it entirely depends on what other moves they can make around Nash.
And the Blazers in particular, I think they could be a very strong contender. Aldridge, Nash, Batum, Wes Matthews, 2 lottery picks and potentially almost 20 mil to spend BESIDES that. KG, Ray Allen, Dragic, Kaman, Grant Hill and many others, they could get 2 or 3 very good players to fill their rotation.

OlBlu
06-24-2012, 08:52 AM
NBA career highlights
2 NBA Most Valuable Player: 2005, 2006
8 NBA All-Star: 200203, 200508, 2010, 2012
7 All-NBA selection:
First team: 200507
Second team: 2008, 2010
Third team: 2002, 2003
2 NBA All-Star Weekend Skills Challenge winner: 2005, 2010
5 NBA regular season leader for assists per game: 2005 (11.5), 2006 (10.5), 2007 (11.6), 2010 (11.0), 2011 (11.4)[8]
5 NBA regular season leader for total assists: 2005 (861), 2006 (826), 2007 (884), 2010 (892), 2011 (855)[8]
2 NBA regular season leader for free-throw percentage: 2006 (.921), 2010 (.938)[8]
7 NBA regular season leader for assists per 48 minutes: 2004 (12.6),[59] 2005 (16.1),[60] 2006 (14.2),[61] 2007 (15.8),[62] 2008 (15.5),[63] 2010 (16.1), 2011 (16.4)

So what? He isn't that player any longer and he never could defend anybody. This is not a complete player at this stage of his career (not that he ever was) and he has no record of leading a team anywhere. He had great season records with the Sun but when playoffs came they were shown the gate rather quickly. Listen, please, he cannot defend a fence post..........:cool:

Kstat
06-24-2012, 08:53 AM
He isn't that player any longer? Really? He averaged just under 11 assists per game and shot %53 from the floor on a crappy suns team.

He was a Robert Horry hip check away from a championship run in 2007 and a tin artest tip-in away from a finals run in 2010. Pretending like his suns teams never had a shot is ridiculous.

He's still pound for pound the top point guard in the NBA, even taking his defense into account. He raises the game of everyone around him, and he's still a capable clutch scorer when needed. You cannot find me another point guard in the league as consistently lethal on the offensive end at Steve Nash, both as a scorer and a creator.

ballism
06-24-2012, 09:10 AM
And in 2005, they lost two close games at home when Joe Johnson was injured. If Joe was there, in all likelihood they are up 3-1 vs. the Spurs and the Spurs don't have the title that year.
In 2006, he nearly went to the Finals with Marion and Boris Diaw as his two best players. If that's not overachieving, I don't know what is.
The "Nash can't lead his team anywhere" mantra is ridiculous.

Smoothdave1
06-24-2012, 09:32 AM
I like Nash, but he is a liability on defense at this point. Yes, he is a creator, but he's better suited for a team with maybe some more veterans. I think he would be a great fit back in Dallas as they attempt maybe one last run with the Dirk group. But I don't know that the Pacers sign him as he is a band-aid for a year or so and not a long-term solution.

Shade
06-24-2012, 10:23 AM
So what? He isn't that player any longer and he never could defend anybody. This is not a complete player at this stage of his career (not that he ever was) and he has no record of leading a team anywhere. He had great season records with the Sun but when playoffs came they were shown the gate rather quickly. Listen, please, he cannot defend a fence post..........:cool:

I'm starting to wonder whether you actually even watch any of the players you put down.

CableKC
06-24-2012, 04:06 PM
I like Nash, but he is a liability on defense at this point. Yes, he is a creator, but he's better suited for a team with maybe some more veterans. I think he would be a great fit back in Dallas as they attempt maybe one last run with the Dirk group. But I don't know that the Pacers sign him as he is a band-aid for a year or so and not a long-term solution.
Most of us that would support going after Nash recognize this....but look at his affect on the Team as a "Net Positive" when it comes to all of the "intangibles" that he'd add to the offensive end of the table. He's a liability on defense....but he's not any worse than DC ( at times ).

I think that our defense wouldn't improve....but our offense would significantly improve. Given that we don't really have an offensive strategy but to dribble dribble and hope for an opening on the offensive end....I'd take one of the best Floor Generals in the Last decade and live with whatever defense that he can provide.

pogi
06-24-2012, 04:27 PM

If I was certain that we were just a point guard away from a championship, I'd do it. But, I don't think we're there yet.

Also...say we happen to get Nash, for maybe two years. In those two years we don't win squat; then, we'll be back to where we are now...looking for another PG. Give me someone that can grow with the team. Because that's where we're at. We haven't blossomed yet.