PDA

View Full Version : Were the Pacers the NBA's 2nd best?

Pacergeek
06-22-2012, 12:24 AM
Due to quirky playoff seeding, I would contend the ECF was played a round early. I would also argue that the reason Boston won 3 games is because Indiana wore out Miami. OKC, for such a talented team, winning only 1 game in the finals is actually a poor showing

vnzla81
06-22-2012, 12:30 AM
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/SaWebs/cocainehellweb.jpg

Pace Maker
06-22-2012, 12:33 AM
There are about a million different things I want to say explaining how wrong you are:

but I will just leave it as a simple: "No. We are not the 2nd best team in the NBA"

Noodle
06-22-2012, 12:47 AM
If we started the whole thing over tomorrow we would have been 4th best overall, but with the capability to beat anyone.

PR07
06-22-2012, 02:04 AM
I don't think so. We matched up well against Miami (or at least better than most teams), but it doesn't mean we would've matched up equally as well against the Thunder or Spurs.

Dece
06-22-2012, 02:06 AM
No... we weren't a top 5 team this year, even. We were in that 6-10 range and fortunate we got to face two opponents who both were without an all star big man better than any player on our team.

PacersandIU
06-22-2012, 02:08 AM
No.

It looks that way based on how we played against them versus how everyone else did, but I think you pit the Pacers this past year against the Spurs or Thunder and you have a pretty ugly looking series... ugly for the Pacers that is. The Spurs could have man-handled us, and I think a series with OKC would have looked similar to the Miami series (Ps being big underdogs that will themselves into the series...).

Next season might be a little different, but I don't think the Pacers are quite ready to be named 2nd best in the league... not by a lot. But it's fun to play with numbers.

AesopRockOn
06-22-2012, 02:22 AM
As far as I'm concerned, there was only one best and his name was Travis.

xtacy
06-22-2012, 03:05 AM
No... we weren't a top 5 team this year, even. We were in that 6-10 range and fortunate we got to face two opponents who both were without an all star big man better than any player on our team.

this. we overvalued us.

Kstat
06-22-2012, 03:32 AM
I think now that the pacers have the best power forward in the NBA, anythings possible.

spazzxb
06-22-2012, 05:27 AM
this. we overvalued us.

we had the fifth best record and were therefore 5th best, its accurate and not that complicated. Very few overvalue us.

Sollozzo
06-22-2012, 07:58 AM
Due to quirky playoff seeding, I would contend the ECF was played a round early. I would also argue that the reason Boston won 3 games is because Indiana wore out Miami. OKC, for such a talented team, winning only 1 game in the finals is actually a poor showing

We didn't wear the Heat out, Boston was just a very good team with Rondo and a circa-2008 Garnett. The Heat team that played against Boston and the Thunder was much better than the one we played. Bosh came back in game 5 against the Celtics and the role players were much better against the Celts and Thunder than they were against us. Guys like Battier and Mike Miller were horrible against us and couldn't hit anything whereas against OKC they were on fire. Had they shot like that against us and had Bosh played then we would have been lucky to win a game.

Boston was a better team than the Pacers. Rondo would have completely shredded us. They would have had the three best players in the series with Rondo, Garnett, and Pierce. Pierce looked tired against Miami because he had to chase Lebron around on defense, but there is no player on our roster who would have exhausted him like that. He would have been drastically better on offense against us.

No way Boston lets a group of kids like the Pacers potentially end the Big 3 era.

Unclebuck
06-22-2012, 08:27 AM
No way, the Heat played so much better against the Thunder than they did against the Pacers. No team could have beaten the Heat last night that was a great perforamance. Really no comparison.

BillS
06-22-2012, 09:41 AM
No.

Kid Minneapolis
06-22-2012, 09:49 AM
To be honest.... not 2nd..... but maybe tied for 3rd with like 4 other teams. The only other team I felt could have beat us was San Antonio. The Thunder, for whatever reason, we matched up well against, I feel like we would have given them major problems. I think we would've beaten Boston.

No other team gave Miami as much of a scare than Indy. It looked very bleak for them after Game 3... no momentum, playing awful, horrible flagrant fouls, fighting with their coach.... Indy got in their heads big time.

Unclebuck
06-22-2012, 10:17 AM
No other team gave Miami as much of a scare than Indy.

The Celtics led 3 games to 2 and had game #6 at home plus the Celtics always play the Heat extremely well. Celtics win at home and the series is over. Pacers win at home in game 4 and the series is not over, Pacers would have to win 1 more game with 2 of their 3 chances in Miami. Or put another way the Celtics took the Heat to game #7 while the pacers took the heat to game #6.

From about the 2 minute mark on of the second quarter in game #4 the Heat dominated the Pacers the rest of the series. The Celtics were leading in the fourth quarter of game #7 in Miami with 8 minutes left and were still within 5 points with 3 minutes left.

Pacergeek
06-22-2012, 10:36 AM
We didn't wear the Heat out, Boston was just a very good team with Rondo and a circa-2008 Garnett. The Heat team that played against Boston and the Thunder was much better than the one we played. Bosh came back in game 5 against the Celtics and the role players were much better against the Celts and Thunder than they were against us. Guys like Battier and Mike Miller were horrible against us and couldn't hit anything whereas against OKC they were on fire. Had they shot like that against us and had Bosh played then we would have been lucky to win a game.

Boston was a better team than the Pacers. Rondo would have completely shredded us. They would have had the three best players in the series with Rondo, Garnett, and Pierce. Pierce looked tired against Miami because he had to chase Lebron around on defense, but there is no player on our roster who would have exhausted him like that. He would have been drastically better on offense against us.

No way Boston lets a group of kids like the Pacers potentially end the Big 3 era.

You may be correct, but I would argue that Bosh was expendible for Miami, and would have beaten both Boston and OKC without him. I would also say that our defense was the reason for Battier and Miller struggling.

Kstat
06-22-2012, 10:38 AM
Yes, all those angry stares at Shane battier constantly wide the **** open with nobody in the same area code were highly effective....

You also said David west was the best power forward in the NBA.

edc
06-22-2012, 10:52 AM
The celtics match up well against the heat because they have power forward who pound them inside.

Pacergeek
06-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Yes, all those angry stares at Shane battier constantly wide the **** open with nobody in the same area code were highly effective....

You also said David west was the best power forward in the NBA.

so what if I did? Roy Hibbert also said it. and you said that Blake Griffin was one of the best PF's in the game which was comical by the way

BringJackBack
06-22-2012, 11:06 AM
I think that there could be a great case could be made that we were the 4th best team after the obvious three of San Antonio, OKC, and Miami. In conversation with Boston and LA. I believe that the cool thing to do around here is to vastly undervalue the team at any given cost to improve self credibility, so I take what most say around here with a grain of salt... We were a good team this year.

Sollozzo
06-22-2012, 11:07 AM
To be honest.... not 2nd..... but maybe tied for 3rd with like 4 other teams. The only other team I felt could have beat us was San Antonio. The Thunder, for whatever reason, we matched up well against, I feel like we would have given them major problems. I think we would've beaten Boston.

No other team gave Miami as much of a scare than Indy. It looked very bleak for them after Game 3... no momentum, playing awful, horrible flagrant fouls, fighting with their coach.... Indy got in their heads big time.

Boston gave Miami the biggest scare and it's not even close. They won 3 straight games, giving them a 3-2 lead with the opportunity to close the series out in game 6 at home. They played horrible in that game, but then they kept it close for 3 quarters in game 7 before finally running out of gas. They were much much much closer to winning their series than we were.

Once the Heat woke up and realized that they couldn't sleepwalk through the Pacers, we were done. From the second half of game 4 on, Miami handled us with relative ease and ripped off three straight wins against us.

Rondo, KG, and a Paul Pierce who doesn't have to chase Lebron James around are all three better players than anyone on our roster. I'm not saying we couldn't have given them a competitive series because Philly certainly did, but I don't think we could have won 4 games against them. If Boston was going down this season, it was going to be in a dog fight against the best of the best like the Heat. They weren't going to let a group of kids like the Pacers end the big three era.

Lance George
06-22-2012, 11:09 AM
We weren't the second-best team in the league, no, but those saying we weren't even a top-five team are gonna have to back up their claims with some valid arguments, lest they look like silly trolls.

Lance George
06-22-2012, 11:16 AM
No way, the Heat played so much better against the Thunder than they did against the Pacers.

Are we to believe the Pacers' defense played no role in that? Seems kind of silly to me, especially coming from someone who claims to value defense as much as you do.

Kid Minneapolis
06-22-2012, 11:19 AM
It was different though, even all the experts and analysts after Indy's game 3 were all saying it was very doubtful Miami would come back at that point. The entire NBA world was saying "What happened to Miami?" It was the only time in the playoffs where Miami was truly on the brink of elimination... and then they got it together and won the next 3, but they were extremely backed against the wall after game 3. Boston won more games, but Miami never was as scared as they were against Indy. There was a genuine sense of "Oh Crap" regarding Miami when Indy won that game 3. Miami had played awful up until that point. Indy looked great. Bosh was injured and out indefinitely. Miller was badly injured. Wade was playing like crap and lashing out with stupid flagrants. They couldn't find a winning line-up. They were getting out-coached. They were fighting with their coach. Indy had HCA. It looked really really bleak for them. Once they got it together, there were no Oh Crap moments against Boston, they just had a tough series and just had some tough losses, but they were in those losses and didn't look terribly rattled. LeBron's focus after game 3 in Indy became pretty damn legendary, you could see a visible change in his demeanor... he went from carrying that team to *carrying* that team.

The evidence was in the behavior of Wade during Indy's series... when Wade gets frustrated, he starts acting stupid, throwing flagrants... and culminating in his shouting match on the sidelines with Spoelstra. That was Miami's darkest playoff moment. That wake-up call against Indy was what propelled Miami the rest of the way through the playoffs. We smacked 'em in the mouth hard and they stepped up 2-3 more notches after that.

Tom White
06-22-2012, 12:22 PM
we had the fifth best record and were therefore 5th best, its accurate and not that complicated. Very few overvalue us.

Except that the schedule was unbalanced this year. That kinda skews things.

Unclebuck
06-22-2012, 04:08 PM
I would also argue that the reason Boston won 3 games is because Indiana wore out Miami.

That really doesn't make much sense. The Heat beat the pacers in 6 games, ending on a Thursday night, then the heat didn't play again until Monday night. So that is 4 days

Trader Joe
06-22-2012, 04:11 PM
I think now that the pacers have the best power forward in the NBA, anythings possible.

I'm confused.

Kstat
06-22-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm confused.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showpost.php?p=1445943

Slick Pinkham
06-22-2012, 04:43 PM
LOL, so one person makes a ridiculous claim about David West, and then gets overwhelmingly criticized by everyone else immediately, and a month later you are throwing it back out there as somehow representing how Pacer fans feel? OK....

Kstat
06-22-2012, 05:00 PM
LOL, so one person makes a ridiculous claim about David West, and then gets overwhelmingly criticized by everyone else immediately, and a month later you are throwing it back out there as somehow representing how Pacer fans feel? OK....

....was the point really that easy to miss, or were you just so eager to respond that you just assumed what I meant without thinking it through....

Hint: what did that thread have in common with this one?

Pace Maker
06-23-2012, 01:00 PM
so what if I did? Roy Hibbert also said it. and you said that Blake Griffin was one of the best PF's in the game which was comical by the way

its a lot more plausible than David West being the best PF...

Mac_Daddy
06-23-2012, 01:03 PM
I'm confident saying that I believe it was our series against the Heat was the one that gave them the toughness they needed to win. We battered them around for a bit before LeBron and Wade were able to find that toughness they carried the rest of the way. I'm actually kind of glad to see how James played in the Finals. I want to see a player with the talent and athleticism he has man-up and play like he knows he has to.