PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Magic pursued Larry Bird for GM Team was in 'high pursuit' of Pacers president

vnzla81
06-21-2012, 10:40 AM
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Sources-Magic-pursued-Larry-Bird-for-GM/-/1637132/15185996/-/t2f8nl/-/index.html

ORLANDO, Fla. -
The Orlando Magic hired Rob Hennigan as its new general manager Wednesday, but the team was pursuing Indiana Pacers President Larry Bird for the job, Local 6 Sports Director David Pingalore learned.

According to Pingalore's sources, Magic ownership met with Bird, the NBA Executive of the Year, in Boca Raton in recent weeks.

Pingalore was told that the Magic were in "high pursuit" of the former NBA All-Star.

Bird, was intrigued by the Magic's interest but thought there was just too much work that needed to be done with the roster. The Hall of Famer is also dealing with scheduled back surgery that he thought would interfere with his duties with the Magic.

Pingalore first reported Tuesday night the Magic settled for Oklahoma City Thunder's Assistant General Manager Rob Hennigan.

Ownagedood
06-21-2012, 10:43 AM
Did they really think Larry legend was gonna leave his home team in Indiana?

Justin Tyme
06-21-2012, 10:54 AM

If Bird wasn't interested, then why did he met with Orlando ownership in Boca Raton?

Sandman21
06-21-2012, 10:59 AM
If Bird wasn't interested, then why did he met with Orlando ownership in Boca Raton?

Easy. He was having one of those days where he was planning to not come back. :D

graphic-er
06-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Most likely Bird entertained the Magic's interest to send a message to Simon. This aint the only horse in the NBA.

Justin Tyme
06-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Easy. He was having one of those days where he was planning to not come back. :D

That's totally possible.

I just don't like that fact that Bird and herb aren't going to meet until NEXT WEEK now. A few days prior to the draft. I guess that's probably a pretty good sign they are in agreement with Bird for next year.

Then OTOH, a few dayz b4 the draft isn't an ideal time to be switching horses in the middle of the stream either.

OlBlu
06-21-2012, 11:46 AM

I think he would have been interested if Dwight Howard was coming back. That is a superstar and that is something he has not been able to get in Indiana and he knows the Pacers will not compete for a championship until he does. They have only had one in the last 30 years and it may be that long before they get another......:cool:

CableKC
06-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Wow....I didn't know that Bird was scheduled to have Back surgery. I assume that it will be after the Team re-signs Hibbert and GH :shrug:

Speed
06-21-2012, 01:12 PM
I'm surprised he took the meeting, honestly. I really figured it was here or nowhere. I guess Simon had to commit to Bird and Pritchard and that plan, not that he wouldn't anyway, but still, very surprising to me.

PR07
06-21-2012, 03:13 PM
That Orlando weather would probably be better for his back, can't blame him for at least feeling it out.