PDA

View Full Version : Latest On Deron Williams (Bad News)

yoadknux
06-20-2012, 03:39 PM
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2012/06/latest-on-deron-williams.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

This summer's free agent class has something in common with the draft class -- it's not obvious who the second-best available player will be, but everyone knows which guy will be the top choice. In the draft, that's Anthony Davis, while in free agency, it's Deron Williams. We know Davis is ticketed for New Orleans, but where will Williams land? ESPN.com's Chris Broussard shares a few updates on this year's top free agent in his latest Insider-only piece, so let's dive in....

Williams has yet to make a decision, and is still weighing a number of factors that will affect his choice.
Although D-Will can make more guaranteed money by re-signing with the Nets, as I explained here, that's not expected to be a deciding factor.
Williams geniunely likes the Nets' franchise and the new location, and is more optimistic about the team's future than some observers are. However, if Gerald Wallace signs elsewhere, it figures to reduce the odds of Williams re-signing.
While the point guard would like to play in Brooklyn with Dwight Howard, he won't let Howard's future dictate his decision.
The Mavericks are still viewed as the Nets' greatest competition, but the Suns are another team that could pose a serious threat to Brooklyn. If the Suns don't re-sign Steve Nash, they should not be counted out of the Williams sweepstakes, says Broussard.
According to Broussard, Williams, a Dallas native, is unlikely to sign in any cold-weather city besides New York. That would rule out a team like the Pacers, which might otherwise be a good fit.
If Williams tells the Nets he won't re-sign, the team could explore sign-and-trade opportunities. However, the Nets would rather just take the cap space than acquire marginal players in return, so a sign-and-trade would probably only happen if the team could land a star. Broussard cites the Lakers' Andrew Bynum and the Knicks' Carmelo Anthony as two possibilities.

I guess it wasn't really realistic at any point, but I'm sure all of us had that thought of waking up in the morning and reading something like "Deron Joins the Pacers".

Hicks
06-20-2012, 03:43 PM
I don't consider Chris Broussard to be news.

CableKC
06-20-2012, 03:43 PM
That's only bad news if you were thinking that he'd actually come here...much less that Bird would be willing to send him an offer.

Pingu
06-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Wait, Indianapolis is a 'cold weather' city?

Or does 'cold weather city' just mean 'a city with seasons'?

Dr. Awesome
06-20-2012, 03:53 PM
That's only bad news if you were thinking that he'd actually come here...much less that Bird would be willing to send him an offer.

I'm a Bird fan and I would be pissed if I found out he didn't even attempt to land him.

Steagles
06-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Broussard is stupid. I firmly believe I am a better source than he is

Kstat
06-20-2012, 03:59 PM
He's stupid, but he's stating the obvious.

The sillier thing was pretending not to notice deron Williams had an ego as big as any other superstar because he made some transparent PR comments about wanting to play for a winner...

Sparhawk
06-20-2012, 04:32 PM
You mean we had a chance?

*astrisk*
06-20-2012, 04:33 PM
I find it also very interesting that evidently D-Will and J-Kidd are a package deal...

beast23
06-20-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm a Bird fan and I would be pissed if I found out he didn't even attempt to land him.

Well, if Bird's initial words about Hibbert are true, then Bird is worried about having to overpay Hibbert. Hibbert's maximum salary would start somewhere around 13M. If Bird is expressing negative thoughts about having to sign Hibbert to 13M, then he sure as hell isn't going to sign Williams to a contract starting at 16M-17M.

Williams was never on the team's radar to begin with. A lot of folks have just never wanted to accept that, I guess.

Sparhawk
06-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Well, if Bird's initial words about Hibbert are true, then Bird is worried about having to overpay Hibbert. Hibbert's maximum salary would start somewhere around 13M. If Bird is expressing negative thoughts about having to sign Hibbert to 13M, then he sure as hell isn't going to sign Williams to a contract starting at 16M-17M.

Williams was never on the team's radar to begin with. A lot of folks have just never wanted to accept that, I guess.

I'd rather pay DWill $17M than overpay Hibbs at $13M. Hibbs is a solid player, but DWill is a game changer.

PR07
06-20-2012, 05:03 PM
I never thought it was a realistic possibility to begin with. If Deron Williams was willing to play for a competitive small market team, he wouldn't have forced his way out of Utah.

xBulletproof
06-20-2012, 05:20 PM
I never thought it was a realistic possibility to begin with. If Deron Williams was willing to play for a competitive small market team, he wouldn't have forced his way out of Utah.

..... he didn't. He didn't even want to board the plane to leave Utah. He was upset.

Kstat
06-20-2012, 05:28 PM
..... he didn't. He didn't even want to board the plane to leave Utah. He was upset.

He was upset that Utah traded him to the nets. If you think he wanted to stay in Utah, you're being naive.

Dwight Howard was in tears over nearly being dealt to the lakers. Doesnt mean he was upset about
leaving Orlando.

shags
06-20-2012, 05:34 PM

I don't think Williams forced his way out of Utah. It was a pre-emptive strike by the Jazz after Carmelo Anthony held the Nuggets hostage. They got the best trade they could at the time (Harris, Favors, and the pick that was eventually Enes Kanter).

Kstat
06-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Yep. Deron didn't orchestrate that move, so they traded him before he was in a position to Dwight them. Given his extremely narrow wish list (Dallas, Brooklyn and nobody else), it seems they were right.

Karlton
06-20-2012, 05:45 PM
To be honest, anyone making this level of career decisions based on weather puts up a huge red flag for me about their priorities.

Kstat
06-20-2012, 05:48 PM
To be honest, anyone making this level of career decisions based on weather puts up a huge red flag for me about their priorities.

mr. "taking my talents to south beach" is one win away from an NBA title.

Not every superstar cares about glamorous environments. But most of them do.

Really?
06-20-2012, 05:55 PM
I'd rather pay DWill $17M than overpay Hibbs at $13M. Hibbs is a solid player, but DWill is a game changer.

He didn't change much in NJ, lol

Kstat
06-20-2012, 05:57 PM
He's a great talent. He just doesn't make his teammates better. Other than Nash, rondo and Paul, I can't think of any elite PGs that do.

Really?
06-20-2012, 06:04 PM
He's a great talent. He just doesn't make his teammates better. Other than Nash, rondo and Paul, I can't think of any elite PGs that do.

Maybe not elite, but Drogic, Rubio, Conley

Kstat
06-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Rubio is on the cusp, but the rest aren't elite guards.

Being pass first doesn't necessarily mean you make your teammates better. Sometimes it just means you aren't terribly good offensively and you understand your role.

iogyhufi
06-20-2012, 06:27 PM
In other terrible journalist news, Peter Vecsey reports that Larry Bird will be leaving the Pacers' organization next year. Or the year after that. Or the year after that. He finally settled on eventually.

tadscout
06-20-2012, 07:32 PM
What is the deal with NBA players wanting warm climates? They play in an arena!

Meanwhile you rarely hear weather being a FA factor for baseball or football players.

CJ Jones
06-20-2012, 07:42 PM

I think he make his teammates better. Not quite as well as those 3, but better than most. He made Carlos Boozer look like an all star.

Eleazar
06-20-2012, 07:49 PM

Meanwhile you rarely hear weather being a FA factor for baseball or football players.

I think the NBA gets a uneven amount of prima donnas compared to other sports. It seems like any player that is half-way good has an ego large enough to fill a pharaoh's ego, and pharaoh's thought they were gods on earth.

Really?
06-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Rubio is on the cusp, but the rest aren't elite guards.

Being pass first doesn't necessarily mean you make your teammates better. Sometimes it just means you aren't terribly good offensively and you understand your role.

Yeah I did not say that they were elite or that they made their teammates better because they were pass first, I would not consider Drogic pass first at all.

90'sNBARocked
06-20-2012, 08:32 PM
If true

what a pussy. You can live anywhere you want in the off season. I know with the teams mentioned, only Dallas I would consider possibly closer to a championship than the Pacers if D Will signs as a free agent

shags
06-20-2012, 08:37 PM

Well, in college football the SEC and Big 12 are dominant. The only cold weather national champion in the BCS era is Ohio State.

In baseball, there's no salary cap, so free agents will go where the money is. And the big spenders are cold weather teams like the Yankees and Red Sox. Plus baseball plays in the summer so weather is less of a factor.

With the NBA, the season is in the winter. The elite of the elite are underpaid. So location matters when the money is relatively equal. Heck, if I had a choice between a similar paying job in Detroit or Dallas, I'd choose Dallas.

Cubs231721
06-20-2012, 08:40 PM

Baseball and football decisions are frequently made by what money/incentives each team is willing to offer. For a max level basketball player, that is irrelevant. With the difference between teams so razor thin (the only difference is team strength, which can vary wildly during a player's contract) smaller reasons start getting invented to go to one place over another.

This is one reason why some have argued (and I tend to agree with them) that the max salary structure is very bad for the lesser name teams. It helps keep salaries under control, which is good for the whole league, but more stars would likely also end up on lesser name teams if there was open bidding for their services.

beast23
06-20-2012, 10:24 PM

I don't think the name on the uniform has a thing to do with it. I just don't think Bird wants to pay that much for any player, especially with Granger's contract already on the books.

IndyJones
06-20-2012, 11:57 PM
This is what happens when you market your league around the players and not the teams.

xBulletproof
06-21-2012, 12:01 AM
He was upset that Utah traded him to the nets. If you think he wanted to stay in Utah, you're being naive.

Given his extremely narrow wish list (Dallas, Brooklyn and nobody else), it seems they were right.

So you say he didn't want to be in Utah, and he only wanted to be in Dallas, or Brooklyn. Yet he was upset when Utah traded him to the team going to Brooklyn? Something doesn't quite jive there.

Kstat
06-21-2012, 01:31 AM
So you say he didn't want to be in Utah, and he only wanted to be in Dallas, or Brooklyn. Yet he was upset when Utah traded him to the team going to Brooklyn? Something doesn't quite jive there.

Im saying he didn't want to be dealt to a crappy team in new jersey. Brooklyn, on the other hand? Yes, he'll listen, especially with his agent pushing hard for the endorsement opportunities in NY.

Kstat
06-21-2012, 01:32 AM
This is what happens when you market your league around the players and not the teams.

That is not even close to being relevant to this topic.

ksuttonjr76
06-21-2012, 04:17 PM

Yet, so many people here believe that Eric Gordon coming to the Pacers was a possibility, although Bird has stated NUMEROUS times that they don't go after restricted free agents.

Deron Williams was a more realistic possibility than Eric Gordon.

xIndyFan
06-21-2012, 04:22 PM
I don't think the name on the uniform has a thing to do with it. I just don't think Bird wants to pay that much for any player, especially with Granger's contract already on the books.

If that's the case, it's a bad way to run a railroad. Max contracts for max player are the cheapest contracts by far. you get much more bang for the buck for your money.

naptownmenace
06-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Chris Brussard has no sources. The next time he's right about a free agent changing teams it will be his first.

Wasn't he the one that said the Celtics were going to trade Rondo? Yep. He even predicted he was going to be traded a day before the trade deadline. He was wrong about where Lebron was headed and I even think he had DWade going to the Bulls.

http://audio.weei.com/a/52611204/chris-broussard-despite-what-the-celtics-say-rondo-is-on-the-trading-block.htm
Thu, 1 Mar 2012

ESPN's Chris Broussard has been the reporter on top of all the Rajon Rondo rumors, and spoke with the Big Show, telling us that despite the Celtics front offices objections, Rondo IS on the trade market.

Kstat
06-21-2012, 04:52 PM
...where in there does it say rondo was %100 going to be traded?

I dont think brossard is any good either, but I don't quite understand the backlash against a guy stating the obvious. He just said what everyone else already knew.

iogyhufi
06-21-2012, 05:07 PM
...where in there does it say rondo was %100 going to be traded?

I dont think brossard is any good either, but I don't quite understand the backlash against a guy stating the obvious. He just said what everyone else already knew.

I think the point is if your only source for a rumor is Chris Broussard, maybe you shouldn't assume that it's true.

Kstat
06-21-2012, 05:17 PM
...except everyone was thinking this beforehand...nobody is treating this as a shocking revelation. This doesn't even qualify as news.

PaulGeorge
06-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Too bad he wasn't around this "winter". I think I wore a winter coat only a handful of times.

xBulletproof
06-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Im saying he didn't want to be dealt to a crappy team in new jersey. Brooklyn, on the other hand? Yes, he'll listen, especially with his agent pushing hard for the endorsement opportunities in NY.

Except the crappy team in New Jersey is now the crappy team in Brooklyn. It's not like it was some secret we weren't all privy to. Everyone knew New Jersey was going to Brooklyn. So it still doesn't make any sense.

Kstat
06-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Except the crappy team in New Jersey is now the crappy team in Brooklyn. It's not like it was some secret we weren't all privy to. Everyone knew New Jersey was going to Brooklyn. So it still doesn't make any sense.

Yes, it does. He didn't want to spend the last two years playing for a lottery team in front of 200 people. He would have preferred to stay in Utah playing in the playoffs raising his profile and then leave for the big city lights/money in his free agency year.

It's called having your cake and eating it too. Superstars prefers to change teams on their own terms. They hate it when teams trade them without their permission.

spreedom
06-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Deron Williams doesn't make his teammates better? Hilarious.

Hypnotiq
06-24-2012, 12:22 AM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8090057/deron-williams-only-interested-signing-brooklyn-nets-dallas-mavericks-sources-say

Very disappointing

Psyren
06-24-2012, 12:27 AM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8090057/deron-williams-only-interested-signing-brooklyn-nets-dallas-mavericks-sources-say

Very disappointing

For those who believed we actually stood a chance.

Hypnotiq
06-24-2012, 12:28 AM
Oh well on to Steve Nash !

Kstat
06-24-2012, 06:26 AM
wow. so he amended his earlier statement about wanting to play for a winner. I. am. shocked. Someone, please pick me off the floor.

"I want to go to a place where I feel like they will have a chance to build and build fast," Williams told the Los Angeles Times. "I'm not really in the mood for being part of a rebuilding process. I'm getting older. I'm about to be 28. I want to win. I want to win now. Also, I want to live in a place where I want to live and my kids will enjoy living. That's pretty much it."

BringJackBack
06-24-2012, 06:30 AM
If Deron Williams was serious about winning now, he'd cross Brooklyn off for the time being and add us to the list.... And hell the Mavericks aren't doing too well either. They look like they'll be rebuilding in a couple years as well.

Smoothdave1
06-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Deron Williams never was, is or was even considering the Pacers. Too many of you are living in fantasy land and had this great idea that we would sign D-Will. That was never going to happen as he doesn't care to come here and will stay with the Nets (as they can offer more money and years) or go home to Dallas. D-Will cares about money first and a ring second. Yes, he played in Salt Lake City, went to school in Champaign-Urbana and played for the Nets in areas that are all colder than Indy. However, he knows he can cash in by living in NYC with a larger deal and more off the court opportunities. It's that plain and simple. I would love to see D-Will with the Pacers, but I am a realist too.

The same thing can be said about Nash. There's no way he is coming to Indy as I expect him to resign with Phoenix or possibly back to Dallas if they do not land D-Will.

The Pacers are probably going to resign Hill and we'll have a roster of Hill, George, Granger, West and a resigned Hibbert. Yes, we may add a few pieces, but I do not think we're going to make a huge splash.

Hicks
06-24-2012, 09:52 AM
I never felt it was a fantasy to assume that there was at least some small chance he came here, but at the same time I never thought it was likely to happen, either.

Shade
06-24-2012, 10:20 AM
If winning was really at the top of Deron's list, he'd sign with the Pacers. Simple as that, really. Neither Dallas nor Brooklyn are as close to being a contender as us.

ksuttonjr76
06-24-2012, 02:29 PM
Deron Williams never was, is or was even considering the Pacers. Too many of you are living in fantasy land and had this great idea that we would sign D-Will.

Oh...so you personally talked to him, and he told you that himself?

OlBlu
06-24-2012, 02:37 PM
If winning was really at the top of Deron's list, he'd sign with the Pacers. Simple as that, really. Neither Dallas nor Brooklyn are as close to being a contender as us.

Add Dwight Howard to one of those two teams and who is closer to contending? The Pacers aren't close and they have to prove this year was for real and wasn't just a blip on the radar......:cool:

Hicks
06-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Add Dwight Howard to one of those two teams and who is closer to contending? The Pacers aren't close and they have to prove this year was for real and wasn't just a blip on the radar......:cool:

I'm not convinced Dwight will go to Dallas or Brooklyn. If Orlando trades him now, they'll do what's best for them, not whatever Dwight might prefer. So if either can provide the most talent in return (I tend to doubt it), then maybe, but otherwise, I think he'll go someplace else.

Smoothdave1
06-24-2012, 04:35 PM
Oh...so you personally talked to him, and he told you that himself?

Some of you really amuse me. Let's all step back for a minute and be realistic. Okay, so you're Deron Williams and you're about to get your last big pay-day, which is supposed to last you and your family for the rest of your life. You can go back to Brooklyn and sign a max deal for longer and more money, go to Dallas (where you're from) and not pay any state income tax by playing for the Mavericks or come to Indy. Yes, Indy offers the best chance to win, but Deron cares more about money than winning at this point. Moreover, living in the largest media market in the United States offers more opportunities for off the court commercials, business ventures, etc. Look at how much Kobe makes off the court by playing for LA. Deron would probably be passing up 40+ more million with the larger salary and off the court activities playing for the Pacers than with the Nets. He's not stupid and about to pass up an insane amount of money.

So no, while I did not speak to Deron, I don't wear rose colored glasses and live in fantasy land. Ask any NBA analyst, Mike Wells, etc. and they will all tell you Deron's not coming to Indy either and never considered Indy a viable destination. Did they speak directly to him? No, but they are realists too and they understand the NBA is a business.

spreedom
06-24-2012, 04:48 PM
I love the assumption that Deron cares more about money than winning when he's strongly rumored to take fewer guaranteed years and dollars and is going to a team that's won 50 games 11 seasons in a row.

Oh wait, those assumptions are just butt hurt Pacers fans. Come on now.

Smoothdave1
06-24-2012, 04:59 PM
I love the assumption that Deron cares more about money than winning when he's strongly rumored to take fewer guaranteed years and dollars and is going to a team that's won 50 games 11 seasons in a row.

Oh wait, those assumptions are just butt hurt Pacers fans. Come on now.

Do I wish Deron were a Pacer? Sure. Did I think it was realistic? No. Am I upset? Absolutely not, because I never considered it a reality. You said he was "rumored" to take fewer guaranteed years and dollars. Let's see if the rumors come to fruition and he puts his money where his mouth is and leaves money on the table. Even if he went to Dallas, he's still making more than he would in Indy as Texas residents do not pay state income tax and Dallas and the metroplex are a lot larger market than Indy. Moreover, the Mavericks just won a title last year and still have Dirk. From a basketball standpoint, Dallas is the more attractive offer at this point. But from a financial standpoint, Brooklyn offers more cash -- both on and off the court. Plus, the Nets have a ton of cap space and the room to make a run at someone else to appease Deron. There's also the possibility that they acquire Dwight Howard or someone else.

I think that ultimately he resigns with the Nets and they allow him input on basketball decisions whereas Nash heads to Dallas for a two year deal and he had Dirk ride off in the sunset together.

ksuttonjr76
06-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Some of you really amuse me. Let's all step back for a minute and be realistic. Okay, so you're Deron Williams and you're about to get your last big pay-day, which is supposed to last you and your family for the rest of your life. You can go back to Brooklyn and sign a max deal for longer and more money, go to Dallas (where you're from) and not pay any state income tax by playing for the Mavericks or come to Indy. Yes, Indy offers the best chance to win, but Deron cares more about money than winning at this point. Moreover, living in the largest media market in the United States offers more opportunities for off the court commercials, business ventures, etc. Look at how much Kobe makes off the court by playing for LA. Deron would probably be passing up 40+ more million with the larger salary and off the court activities playing for the Pacers than with the Nets. He's not stupid and about to pass up an insane amount of money.

So no, while I did not speak to Deron, I don't wear rose colored glasses and live in fantasy land. Ask any NBA analyst, Mike Wells, etc. and they will all tell you Deron's not coming to Indy either and never considered Indy a viable destination. Did they speak directly to him? No, but they are realists too and they understand the NBA is a business.

So...do you have a link that captures comments DIRECTLY from Deron Williams saying that he ONLY cares about money? Otherwise...let's be realistic for a minute. YOU DON'T KNOW what Deron Williams wants for himself either, so stop pretending that you do. As a side note...there ARE people who don't care about money. So, should we consider them stupid?

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2011/06/16/dave_chappelle_coming_back_with_a_new_show_via_hul u_or_netflix
http://www.jspace.com/news/articles/jerry-seinfeld-turned-down-what/9262

Also, I don't know too many athletes who make THAT much more money in endorsements will being on a losing team.

EDIT:

Peyton Manning did alright with his endorsement earnings in 2011. He made more than...GASP...Kobe Bryant.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/specials/fortunate50-2011/index.html

Smoothdave1
06-24-2012, 08:17 PM
So...do you have a link that captures comments DIRECTLY from Deron Williams saying that he ONLY cares about money? Otherwise...let's be realistic for a minute. YOU DON'T KNOW what Deron Williams wants for himself either, so stop pretending that you do. As a side note...there ARE people who don't care about money. So, should we consider them stupid?

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2011/06/16/dave_chappelle_coming_back_with_a_new_show_via_hul u_or_netflix
http://www.jspace.com/news/articles/jerry-seinfeld-turned-down-what/9262

Also, I don't know too many athletes who make THAT much more money in endorsements will being on a losing team.

EDIT:

Peyton Manning did alright with his endorsement earnings in 2011. He made more than...GASP...Kobe Bryant.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/specials/fortunate50-2011/index.html

You're correct that it isn't always about the money, but if you're in the prime of your career and this is probably your last big contract, you have a lot to think about and consider. The Nets have a new owner who has deep pockets and they will be flushed with cash in their new arena to the point that they may open up the vaults and pay a few players.

Peyton Manning is the most marketable player in the most popular sport in the United States with the largest reach and best ratings and he will out-earn Kobe off the court despite being in Indy. Heck, the Colts were the worst team in the league this year and Peyton still out earned any other NFL Player.

Here's an article from ESPN's Marc Stein discussing how it's a two horse race for Williams: http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8090057/deron-williams-only-interested-signing-brooklyn-nets-dallas-mavericks-sources-say

No Pacers references.

Here's an article from the NY Daily News that suggests that the reason the Nets have the upper-hand is resigning Williams because they can offer (wait for it.......) more money: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/nets/2012/05/why-the-nets-have-the-upperhand-in-the-battle-for-deron-williams

Fact: Deron is almost 28 (birthday is 6/26) and the Nets can offer him 5 years/109 million whereas any other team (including the Pacers) can offer him 4 years/75 million. He's leaving 28-29 million dollars on the table if he signs with Dallas for a shorter deal. Yes, Dallas is cheaper to live and offers no state income tax, but Brooklyn offers a media mogul part-owner (Jay Z) that can help Williams cross-over into more maintstream. NYC is the largest media market as well and offers a number of different opportunities as well. Will the Nets be terrible this year? Probably. But they also have a ton of cap space and can sign a few players. Yes, Deron will come out and say all the right things about how he wants to go to an organization that wants to win, contend, etc. but he's not leaving almost 30 mil on the table just in contract earnings. I really hope he proves me wrong andn I will be the first to admit if he does, but I just don't see or envision him doing so.

Visit some other NBA boards (outside of PD) and you'll see that no one has even considered the Pacers a contender in signing D-Will. You may find people that suggest that it makes the most sense from a contender standpoint, but they recognize the fact that he likes being in NYC and they can pay him more. I'm not trying to be sour grapes here, but Indy will never be a prime spot for superstar free agents. Yes, we can draft well and acquire players via trades, but with the exception of West, when has Indy ever landed an All-Star via free agency, especially one in the prime of his career? We'll be forced to do things the old fashioned way of making smart trades, drafting well and finding some hidden gems. If you're a 22-30 year old NBA player and you have options of signing with a warm city team, living in a major metropolitan area or living in Indy, Indy will lose out 99% of the time. I live in Indy and love living here, but I have to face reality too.

ksuttonjr76
06-25-2012, 09:31 AM
You're correct that it isn't always about the money, but if you're in the prime of your career and this is probably your last big contract, you have a lot to think about and consider. The Nets have a new owner who has deep pockets and they will be flushed with cash in their new arena to the point that they may open up the vaults and pay a few players.

Peyton Manning is the most marketable player in the most popular sport in the United States with the largest reach and best ratings and he will out-earn Kobe off the court despite being in Indy. Heck, the Colts were the worst team in the league this year and Peyton still out earned any other NFL Player.

Here's an article from ESPN's Marc Stein discussing how it's a two horse race for Williams: http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8090057/deron-williams-only-interested-signing-brooklyn-nets-dallas-mavericks-sources-say

No Pacers references.

Here's an article from the NY Daily News that suggests that the reason the Nets have the upper-hand is resigning Williams because they can offer (wait for it.......) more money: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/nets/2012/05/why-the-nets-have-the-upperhand-in-the-battle-for-deron-williams

Fact: Deron is almost 28 (birthday is 6/26) and the Nets can offer him 5 years/109 million whereas any other team (including the Pacers) can offer him 4 years/75 million. He's leaving 28-29 million dollars on the table if he signs with Dallas for a shorter deal. Yes, Dallas is cheaper to live and offers no state income tax, but Brooklyn offers a media mogul part-owner (Jay Z) that can help Williams cross-over into more maintstream. NYC is the largest media market as well and offers a number of different opportunities as well. Will the Nets be terrible this year? Probably. But they also have a ton of cap space and can sign a few players. Yes, Deron will come out and say all the right things about how he wants to go to an organization that wants to win, contend, etc. but he's not leaving almost 30 mil on the table just in contract earnings. I really hope he proves me wrong andn I will be the first to admit if he does, but I just don't see or envision him doing so.

Visit some other NBA boards (outside of PD) and you'll see that no one has even considered the Pacers a contender in signing D-Will. You may find people that suggest that it makes the most sense from a contender standpoint, but they recognize the fact that he likes being in NYC and they can pay him more. I'm not trying to be sour grapes here, but Indy will never be a prime spot for superstar free agents. Yes, we can draft well and acquire players via trades, but with the exception of West, when has Indy ever landed an All-Star via free agency, especially one in the prime of his career? We'll be forced to do things the old fashioned way of making smart trades, drafting well and finding some hidden gems. If you're a 22-30 year old NBA player and you have options of signing with a warm city team, living in a major metropolitan area or living in Indy, Indy will lose out 99% of the time. I live in Indy and love living here, but I have to face reality too.

It still doesn't changes the reality the no one 100% knows what Deron Williams wants. The article that you posted is speculation just like the conversations happening in this thread.

Plus, my point with the Peyton Manning is that NBA players can still get endorsements while playing in Indianapolis. I get tired of people assuming that athletes coming to Indiana are going to have ZERO opportunities for endorsements. If Indiana is contending EVERY SINGLE YEAR, the endorsements WILL come. Small, cold markets didn't stop Lebron from cashing in on endorsements.

Lastly, does a cold weather city REALLY matter? These athletes have MILLIONS of dollars. Do you REALLY believe Deron Williams is going to be the one to shovel his walk and driveway...warm up his car in the morning...worrying about his home not getting enough heat....etc...etc...etc? Living in a cold weather city is a WAAAAYYYYY different experience for an athlete than it is for a "common" citizen.

In the past, we might have been overlooked as a destination, because we WASN'T a winning team after the brawl. The current team can contend and win with the right pieces...period. Indiana is NO longer rebuilding team. Indiana is NO longer a lottery team. Indiana is NO longer a medicore team. Indiana is a LEGIT team at the moment.

McDunken
06-25-2012, 01:37 PM
this does not suprise. mainly because i have common sense and believed that he would never joined the pacers the entire time that you guys were talking about the possibilities of him joining. and yes, i did make an account just so i can say this.

haha..haha

spreedom
06-25-2012, 02:26 PM
I think people need to drop the idea that a bigger media market is automatically going to create more endorsement opportunities for athletes. This is the 21st century. Athletes are more accessible than ever. Billboards aren't nearly as effective as online marketing campaigns. The most effective element of creating a marketable brand is WINNING. So if Deron really cares about money and money only, then he'll go to the place where he has the best chance of winning, too. It's my opinion that Deron feels that his best chance to go all the way is to go to Dallas. That's why I think he'll choose the Mavericks. I also truly believe that if he saw the Pacers as the best situation to be in with an opportunity to win a title, he would sign in Indy.

BringJackBack
06-25-2012, 02:36 PM
When speculating, It doesn't matter who the free agent is, when talking fits for a player in free agency no one is going to mention the Pacers outside of Chad Ford, though now that Morway is gone we do not even know about that.

Pacerized
06-25-2012, 08:07 PM
It's incredible how easily people gravitate to doom and gloom. All I've read from Williams is that he wants to win now and hasn't decided what he wants to do. The Pacers have a very good chance of make a splash in free agency this summer. We have a good young core in need of a pg and we can offer a max contract if we want to. It seems like Larry might actually want to try instead of listening to pure speculation from reporters with no legit source.

PR07
06-25-2012, 08:16 PM
I just don't see it. It would take a miracle for Deron Williams to make Indianapolis his new home. That's just the reality of it. I'm not saying we don't have a good team, but there's other factors that will probably weigh just as heavily in his mind.

CableKC
06-25-2012, 08:17 PM
It's incredible how easily people gravitate to doom and gloom. All I've read from Williams is that he wants to win now and hasn't decided what he wants to do. The Pacers have a very good chance of make a splash in free agency this summer. We have a good young core in need of a pg and we can offer a max contract if we want to. It seems like Larry might actually want to try instead of listening to pure speculation from reporters with no legit source.
Can someone confirm if we can actually make a MAX Contract offer to any Free Agent?

From what I've been reading from most here on PD....we can...but we'd pretty much have to release every one that is a Free Agent except for Hibbert.....which is something that I do not think the FO would do. D0NT_SH0OT_ME ( I think ) said that we can likely retain Hibbert, GH, our 26th pick and still be able spend about $10 mil contract offer to a FA.

Besides, Bird said that he's not going to make a MAX Contract offer since it restricts SalaryCap flexibility. I can see making a run at more affordable PGs like Nash, Dragic, DreMiller or even ( heaven forbid ) Felton....but not a MAX offer for DWill.

Pacerized
06-25-2012, 08:33 PM
It's been analyzed to death, but yes we can make a max contract offer with very little effort, and we can still keep Hibbert. Let Hill walk, and make a trade to move either DC or Jones for a pick. We can basically keep our young core minus the one position that we'd be filling in free agency. We have an easier path to make a max offer then a team like Dallas has.
I agree that going after Nash is more likely but Bird never ruled out going after Williams. He did say that Herb know where the teams weaknesses are as well as he does and that they were going to address this.

Can someone confirm if we can actually make a MAX Contract offer to any Free Agent?

From what I've been reading from most here on PD....we can...but we'd pretty much have to release every one that is a Free Agent except for Hibbert.....which is something that I do not think the FO would do. D0NT_SH0OT_ME ( I think ) said that we can likely retain Hibbert, GH, our 26th pick and still be able spend about $10 mil contract offer to a FA.

Besides, Bird said that he's not going to make a MAX Contract offer since it restricts SalaryCap flexibility. I can see making a run at more affordable PGs like Nash, Dragic, DreMiller or even ( heaven forbid ) Felton....but not a MAX offer for DWill.