PDA

View Full Version : Pacers Interested in Fab Melo?

Steagles
06-20-2012, 03:11 PM
http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/2012/06/19/pacers-melo-turns-heads-during-his-workout/

Syracuse’s Fab Melo said the mock drafts he’s looked at have him going anywhere between 15-30 in the first round of next week’s draft.

The Pacers wouldn’t be upset if Melo was still available when they pick at No. 26.

Melo, along with Chris Johnson (Dayton), Jarrod Jones (Ball State), Kyle O’Quinn (Norfolk State), Miles Plumlee (Duke) and Jonathon Simons (Houston), worked out for the Pacers on Tuesday.

Melo, who had his sophomore season at Syracuse cut short because of academic problems, turned a lot of heads during his workout in front of the Pacers front office and coaching staff.

“He was off the charts,” one person who watched him said.

Melo averaged 7.8 points, 5.8 rebounds and 2.9 blocks last season at Syracuse.

The center’s defensive game is definitely ahead of his offensive game.

The Pacers wouldn’t be drafting Melo, who spent two seasons with the Orangeman, to be their starting center. Their goal is to re-sign starting center Roy Hibbert to a long-term deal once free agency begins July 1.

That means Melo wouldn’t have the pressure of stepping on the court and contributing right away on offense. He can focus on defending and rebounding.

Since86
06-20-2012, 03:25 PM
I wonder how much Jarrod Jones had to pay the Pacers to show up. What a disappointment he was.

PaceBalls
06-20-2012, 03:39 PM
sssmmmoke screen!

CableKC
06-20-2012, 03:50 PM
sssmmmoke screen!
When it comes to Bird...I get the sense that he is the type that "keeps his cards close to his vest" as opposed to one that "puts up smokescreens". Walsh was the type to throw up decoy flares all over the place to really screw with the other GMs so that they have no clue what the Pacers will do...but I think that Bird is the type to hunker down with his "poker face" and while giving the opposing Teams no clue as to whether the Pacers will "stand pat" or "go all in".

In other words, I don't think that Bird is the type to play these types of games.....he's more one that won't give you any indication as to what on earth he's going to do ( see the PG or Hansbrough picks ).

Really?
06-20-2012, 04:17 PM
This whole thing came from one quote that some guy made, that is the only thing of any type of substance with this whole article. He probably did a good job but I would like more than "He was off the charts"

OakMoses
06-20-2012, 04:50 PM
This whole thing came from one quote that some guy made, that is the only thing of any type of substance with this whole article. He probably did a good job but I would like more than "He was off the charts"

I sat down at the computer to post the exact same thing.

PR07
06-20-2012, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't be disappointed if we drafted him. A) He's Big B) He feels a need. You could do worse than rolling the dice on someone with size and defense.

However, I still am holding hope that someone falls, and yes...he may have dominated in his workout for us, but who was he up against? None of those guys jump out at me.

IndyPacer
06-20-2012, 07:52 PM
We could certainly do worse at #26. Having Hibbert and Melo at center would be fantastic. If only we could get someone to consistently deliver the ball to them...

90'sNBARocked
06-20-2012, 08:29 PM
If you look back, I believe every player Bird drafted in the first round since he has been GM, he worked out before the draft (exception: K. Lenoard)

OlBlu
06-20-2012, 08:36 PM
I would be concerned if they were not interested in him.......:cool:

Ace E.Anderson
06-21-2012, 08:40 AM
If we were to draft Melo, we would definitely need a 4 that is a more consistent scorer off the bench from the high post. (ALA Carl Landry)

MillerTime
06-21-2012, 09:02 AM
The Pacers wouldn’t be drafting Melo, who spent two seasons with the Orangeman, to be their starting center.

:confused:

pizza guy
06-21-2012, 09:15 AM
While I would be happy to get Fab because I think he fits a need perfectly, I agree that one comment from a draft workout is pretty flaky evidence that we're going after him. Slow news day maybe?

2minutes twoa
06-21-2012, 09:35 AM

And the man quoted looked suspiciously like Fab Melo's agent wearing a fake mustache :)

OakMoses
06-21-2012, 09:37 AM
If you look back, I believe every player Bird drafted in the first round since he has been GM, he worked out before the draft (exception: K. Lenoard)

I don't think we worked out Paul George.

avoidingtheclowns
06-21-2012, 12:39 PM
I don't think we worked out Paul George.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1JQLjImg_UU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>