PDA

View Full Version : Would Rondo/Westbrook Trade Have Pushed OKC Over The Top?

Steagles
06-19-2012, 05:14 PM
Earlier this season, this trade was being discussed and it obviously didn't happen. However, if the Thunder lose this series to Miami, Westbrook will take further criticism. So, I pose this question, assuming the Heat win the series: Would swapping Westbrook for Rondo have put them in better position to win?

cdash
06-19-2012, 05:29 PM
OKC will win this series with Westbrook.

Kstat
06-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Why are we assuming anything instead of just posting this thread a week from now when we know what happens?

Steagles
06-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Why are we assuming anything instead of just posting this thread a week from now when we know what happens?

Because between now and then I will have forgotten. And I hope they do beat Miami with Westbrook, but I don't think they will.

15th parallel
06-19-2012, 08:57 PM
For whatever reason, Rondo just knows how to play against the Heat. While it is yet unknown who'll win the title, I think the series would be in OKC's favor if Rondo is at OKC manning the point.

spreedom
06-19-2012, 09:26 PM
Count me in with those saying that the timing for this thread isn't great. I don't have a clue who will win this series, but I do think that OKC would be better off with a PG whose specialty is creating easy looks for others.

pacer4ever
06-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Count me in with those saying that the timing for this thread isn't great. I don't have a clue who will win this series, but I do think that OKC would be better off with a PG whose specialty is creating easy looks for others.

I dont know about that Westbrook can be my pg of my team any day. I would only take a healthy CP3 and a healthy Dwill over him JMO.

Is it just me or does anyone else think Westbrook will be a top 3 player in the league some day the dude is a freak in a goood way. I honestly don't know if he has a ceiling I think in their primes might have a debate on who the best player on OKC is.

shags
06-19-2012, 10:22 PM

I disagree with that. OKC has no one who can score consistently besides Durant, Westbrook, and Harden. Replacing Westbrook with Rondo would leave them with only two reliable scorers. They'd probably move Harden to the starting lineup, but even then I don't think it makes them better.

pacer4ever
06-19-2012, 10:27 PM
I disagree with that. OKC has no one who can score consistently besides Durant, Westbrook, and Harden. Replacing Westbrook with Rondo would leave them with only two reliable scorers. They'd probably move Harden to the starting lineup, but even then I don't think it makes them better.

that is why I chuckle when people say he shoots to much. You want Perkins and Ibaka taking his shots?? Not I.

spreedom
06-19-2012, 10:49 PM

OKC was third in the league in both FG% and PPG. I don't think their problem is a lack of scorers. One reason the bench (outside of Harden) doesn't contribute consistently is because Durant and Westbrook don't create many easy looks for them. Harden is the closest thing to a pass-first PG there is on the roster, whereas Rondo is arguably the best passer in the league. I don't think there's any question that Rondo would make them better, but at the same time it would be hard to justify trading a big piece from a perennial Western Conference power.

BlueNGold
06-19-2012, 11:36 PM
After that play...yes.

spreedom
06-19-2012, 11:41 PM
Just curious, when was the last time a championship team had a PG who averaged over 19 FGA per game? Has it ever happened? I don't mean to pile on after a loss, but when your starting PG has 10 more FGAs than the best scorer in the league, you are doing something wrong.

shags
06-19-2012, 11:43 PM
Just curious, when was the last time a championship team had a PG who averaged over 19 FGA per game? Has it ever happened? I don't mean to pile on after a loss, but when your starting PG has 10 more FGAs than the best scorer in the league, you are doing something wrong.

Westbrook had 43 points, and he's getting criticized. SMH.

The Thunder were 24-6 in games where Westbrook outshot Durant.

Pace Maker
06-20-2012, 12:27 AM
Don't think so. Rondo is a fantastic player, he may be better then Westbrook in fact. But the way OKC is designed, they need a reliable scorer like Westbrook. Harden and Durant themselves won't be enough to carry the load.

Rondo would get the role players more looks, but there is only so much you can get out of Perkins/Sefalosha ect.

15th parallel
06-20-2012, 12:45 AM
Well Rondo can score too. I think Rondo's offense is a little underrated here.

Pace Maker
06-20-2012, 12:47 AM
Rondo has definitely proven he can score, but I'm not sure if he can do it on a nightly basis (not just in big games on ABC lol)

Trader Joe
06-20-2012, 01:01 AM
The biggest problem OKC has right now is that Durant and Harden are getting beaten like a drum on a defense. Also, I feel like I have yet to see a single reason Fisher is playing in this series.

vnzla81
06-20-2012, 01:06 AM
The biggest problem OKC has right now is that Durant and Harden are getting beaten like a drum on a defense. Also, I feel like I have yet to see a single reason Fisher is playing in this series.

Fishers is playing because of his "veteran leadership and good decision making".

spreedom
06-20-2012, 01:17 AM
Fisher played 22 minutes and didn't log a single point, assist, or rebound. Astounding.

vnzla81
06-20-2012, 01:37 AM
Fisher played 22 minutes and didn't log a single point, assist, or rebound. Astounding.

And Brooks other man crush in Perkins had 4 points and 3rebounds I think he should play more....

Unclebuck
06-20-2012, 08:07 AM
NO

Trader Joe
06-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Fishers is playing because of his "veteran leadership and good decision making".

Might as well put me out there then, because he's about as athletic as I am.

Ownagedood
06-21-2012, 09:39 AM
No, I think it just makes them even. Westbrook is an amazing scorer which at some times takes away from what Durant could be doing.. Rondo would be better at getting Durant and co the ball, but OKC needs that scoring because outside of Durant and Harden, they don't have any legit scorers if they trade Westbrook for Rondo.. Westbrook just needs to keep improving his all-round game.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
06-21-2012, 12:31 PM
No

Durant and Harden are going to get their's no matter who is passing them the ball, they are ISO players. The rest of that team isn't going to score no matter where they get the ball. Perkins and Ibaka are pretty inconsistent, and Sefalosha might be the worst offensive player in the league.

spreedom
06-21-2012, 05:39 PM
No

Durant and Harden are going to get their's no matter who is passing them the ball, they are ISO players. The rest of that team isn't going to score no matter where they get the ball. Perkins and Ibaka are pretty inconsistent, and Sefalosha might be the worst offensive player in the league.

LOL

There is more to basketball than PPG. He shot almost 44% from downtown and a shade under 89% from the line. He is a limited offensive player, but a highly efficient one considering his excellent shot selection.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
06-21-2012, 07:02 PM
LOL

There is more to basketball than PPG. He shot almost 44% from downtown and a shade under 89% from the line. He is a limited offensive player, but a highly efficient one considering his excellent shot selection.Hmm my eyes must be lying to me. I could swear every shot he has taken in this series has missed horribly. I cringe every time he gets the ball.

spreedom
06-21-2012, 08:14 PM
Hmm my eyes must be lying to me. I could swear every shot he has taken in this series has missed horribly. I cringe every time he gets the ball.

Even if that's the case (and TBH I haven't watched much of the Finals) I wouldn't brand anyone a bad basketball player based on one series, even if it is the Finals.