PDA

View Full Version : Chicago looking to tank next year?

idioteque
06-18-2012, 07:25 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/221573/Source_Bulls_Open_To_Trading_Deng_For_Lottery_Pick

The Bulls are open to making a trade before the draft, notably a deal including Luol Deng, according to a league source.
With roughly $56 million committed to Deng, Derrick Rose, Carlos Boozer, and Joakim Noah, Chicago is likely looking to clear cap space because of luxury-tax concerns.

Toronto and Golden State have been mentioned as possible trade partners.

If true, this would essentially mean that without Rose next year, Chicago is determined to obtain one lottery pick in this draft and another next draft (since they would inevitably suck and not make the playoffs in 12-13). Keep in mind Chicago also has its amnesty and could use it to get rid of Boozer.

If this happens, the Pacers would have control of the Central for at least next year but we would be threatened with a super quick Chicago rebuild that includes Rose, Noah, and two lottery picks. Could be bad for us if Chicago drafts well.

vnzla81
06-18-2012, 07:32 PM
Smart move by Chicago, they know Rose won't be 100% healthy next year.

Steagles
06-18-2012, 08:22 PM
It's a very smart move by Chicago but oh how I hate it.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk

PR07
06-18-2012, 08:41 PM
Depends on what pick they'd get and how good next year's draft class is. If it's like this year, I'm not sure it helps them all that much.

xIndyFan
06-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Depends on what pick they'd get and how good next year's draft class is. If it's like this year, I'm not sure it helps them all that much.

:iagree: trading deng for #7 only makes them worse. getting rid of boozer is a good start, unless they can't get anyone better. Their cap situation makes it hard to see how they can make themselves better. They still have asik and gibson resign. getting rid of boozer means they need a 4. deng another 3. hamilton a 2.

Chicago has a nice team built. tearing it all down and redoing it won't necessarily make it better.

Infinite MAN_force
06-18-2012, 10:37 PM
Sure it seems smart if it works, but if they miss in the draft? This will go down as an epic blunder.

In the draft, there are no sure things. They are risking what was the best team in the East.

Pacersalltheway10
06-18-2012, 10:41 PM
I hope they do it and draft Jeremy Lamb. That guy seems like a future bust to me.

Derek2k3
06-19-2012, 12:26 AM
:iagree: trading deng for #7 only makes them worse. getting rid of boozer is a good start, unless they can't get anyone better. Their cap situation makes it hard to see how they can make themselves better. They still have asik and gibson resign. getting rid of boozer means they need a 4. deng another 3. hamilton a 2.

Chicago has a nice team built. tearing it all down and redoing it won't necessarily make it better.

They already have a better guy on the bench in Taj Gibson.

rexnom
06-19-2012, 12:48 AM
I'm so confused by this.

imbtyler
06-19-2012, 01:09 AM
I actually like that move, because, if it bombs, we can reign the East (exaggeratedly speaking). But if they DO draft well, they'll make us look great, pick it up in the playoffs, and embarras us. That is, if we don't draft well, or we just let them get in our heads. IF I was for Chicago, I would like the move more, because it does have potential to really turn things around for them in a very positive way. But, I really hope that, if a trade-and-draft happens, that it backfires, at least somewhat. Just because it's a very sketchy way to take advantage of Derrick Rose's injury. Just my :twocents:

ballism
06-19-2012, 02:32 AM
It seems quite stupid, tbh. With their coaching, 4 good bigs, 50% of Rose and presumably a decent rookie, they'll still be pretty good next year. Also they'd have to take some filler (Calderon? Bargs? Jefferson and Dorrell Wright?).

I don't know about the playoffs, but they certainly won't be a 20 win team.

So, give up Deng for a no.7-8 and another potential late lotto pick? That seems like a potential disaster.

RLeWorm
06-19-2012, 02:48 AM
does anybody know when Rose is projected to come back next year?

Cody.
06-19-2012, 02:59 AM
Hes suppose to come back 7-8 months.

ballism
06-19-2012, 03:16 AM
does anybody know when Rose is projected to come back next year?

Initial doctors' predictions after the surgery were that it may be an 8 months rehab, which would mean around mid January. But those predictions are rarely accurate in these cases, obviously.

Steagles
06-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Initial doctors' predictions after the surgery were that it may be an 8 months rehab, which would mean around mid January. But those predictions are rarely accurate in these cases, obviously.

Doctors won't matter if they are trying to tank. They will just let Rose rehab and not let him play until he is 100% plus two weeks. That is unless he throws a *****fit because he wants to play.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk

Trader Joe
06-19-2012, 12:24 PM
There is no way Derrick Rose is OK with this. Does anyone really think that a competitor like Rose is going to sit out all of next season?

shags
06-19-2012, 12:36 PM
I don't think trading Deng is a sign that the Bulls want to tank. It's purely financial. The owners don't want to pay the luxury tax (especially since it's going to be more punitive), so they're trading an established player for a high draft pick, and 4 years of NBA style cheap labor. I certainly don't think Rose will sit out the season if he's healthy enough to play.

I think it's a strategy you will see a lot of teams using. Memphis is already trying the same thing with Rudy Gay, and I wouldn't be shocked if OKC pulled a pre-emptive strike with Harden or Ibaka.

RLeWorm
06-19-2012, 12:59 PM
yea. trading Deng isn't taking IMO. i actually think he is overrated. He plays good during the regular season but playoffs he struggles and some how always gets off the hook.

Kid Minneapolis
06-19-2012, 01:10 PM
I was under the impression that Rose would barely be able to come back by the playoffs next year.... his injury has set them back considerably, because they ideally would be challenging for a title this next year, and that would appear to be put on hold, especially if they start trading away their core guys for draft prospects.

It's not a great situation for them. Smart in the long run, maybe, but still not an ideal situation.

BillS
06-19-2012, 01:17 PM
It's not a great situation for them. Smart in the long run, maybe, but still not an ideal situation.

They'll be just fine when they score the #1 pick in the 2013 lottery.

rexnom
06-19-2012, 01:29 PM
They'll be just fine when they score the #1 pick in the 2013 lottery.
I still don't get it. This was a great team without Rose. They can hold down the fort until he comes back and then contend in the playoffs. They should look to improve the team they have (e.g. go after Ray Allen) or do their best to shed the Boozer contract. There will be opportunities to improve this off-season. No reason to tank. I really doubt that they trade Deng for a pick.