PDA

View Full Version : ps3/tv audio trouble.

clownskull
06-03-2012, 09:28 PM
hey there- i was wondering if anyone has any ideas/solutions for my problem.

i got a ps3 last Christmas. i finally got an hdmi cable to play it in full hd on my tv. problem is though, now that i finally got it playing to it's video capability, i have no audio. this problem happened with my uverse as well with my samsung tv. for several months, there was no problem using the hdmi as it delivered both video and audio just fine. but several months back, the audio just conked out. video was fine- just no sound. the sound came back a few days later and there was no problem until a few weeks ago when the audio went out for good. i got the hd and audio again on uverse going to the component setup but with the hdmi for the ps3, i once again got the video looking great but- no sound.
i'm convinced there is something wrong with my tv's hdmi audio somehow.

i have noticed both the ps3 and tv an optical audio outlet. is it possible to run the hdmi for the video and use the optical audio outlets for the sound since there is almost certainly something screwy with the hdmi audio on my tv?
any ideas as to what i could do?
i may have to get the tv fixed but would rather try to find a way around that if possible.

thanks to any help!

travmil
06-03-2012, 10:14 PM
First thing I would check is to go to the sound settings in the PS3 menu and check them out.

Settings>Sound Settings>Audio Output Settings

Just make sure your PS3 is set to output it's audio through HDMI instead of the other two options.

Outside of that, I would think it would be a hardware issue in the PS3, the TV, or the HDMI cable itself.

Good luck.

clownskull
06-04-2012, 06:25 PM
well, i tried the hdmi audio settings. no go. it is definitely the hdmi on my tv. absolutely no doubt about it. it used to work ok but not anymore. the sound didn't work anymore with uverse reciever and doesn't work with the ps3 either. tried a couple of different hdmi cables and same thing- video was fine but no audio.
has anyone ever tried using the optical audio setting? is it possible to just get a cable for that and plug it directly from the tv to ps3? i thought i heard you need a receiver and external speakers to make that work and i don't really care to bother with that as the tv speakers are good enough for me.
i get a feeling i'm just going to have to take it in and get the hdmi on my tv fixed.

travmil
06-05-2012, 09:34 AM
I'm pretty sure that the optical connections on your TV and your PS3 are both meant to output to a different device (home theater receiver or soundbar) and hooking them together wouldn't do anything. I'm not 100% sure on that though so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Ownagedood
06-06-2012, 12:03 PM
I use the optical plug in at times, but yes it's for a different device.. Mine is a surround sound headset, often used for "headsetting" in games like Call of Duty, though they are quite nice just for playing any game anyways and having that surround sound.. But it sounds like you have more problems than we can fix by friendly troubleshooting and will have to take it in. :(

Bball
06-07-2012, 11:46 PM
Isn't there a AV/Component adapter available for your PS3? Assuming your TV has component inputs (they will be RCA style plugs that are RED-GREEN-BLUE on the back of your set) then you can still get HD video that way and now you'll have a left and right RCA connector to feed audio to your TV.

I'm guessing it will be cheaper to get this AV/Component adapter for your PS3 and TV than to get the TV fixed (if you know the TV is indeed the problem). NOTE: An AV/Component adapter is NOT the same as an AV/Composite adapter. Composite will not get you HD video. Component will.

CableKC
06-12-2012, 02:32 PM
If you have multiple devices that use and HDMI connection and all of them are having similar HDMI audio issues with various HDMI cables....then ( as you suggested ) the problem maybe with the TV itself.

Does your HD TV have multiple HDMI inputs ( like HDMI1, HDMI2, etc )?

If so, have you connecting to different HDMI inputs on the same TV?

Another thing to try...and it's merely to trouble shoot the issue...is to see if you have a friend with a HD TV with a HDMI connection. See if you can bring it over to their place to plug in the PS3 with the HDMI connection to see if you get the same result. My guess is that you won't get the same result. Unfortunately, all signs point to your HD TV having some issue with the Audio input.