PDA

View Full Version : The Anime/Manga thread...

Kstat
05-27-2012, 08:32 AM
For the first time...ever, A basketball anime that isn't terrible. Shoot, it's just a great basketball story in general, if you can deal with the anime style it's written in.

Normally I'd just post this in the anime thread, but since there's hoops involved...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lHq_tlxxnEk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just picked this title up and can't put it down. It was obviously written by someone who really loves the game and I respect that.

That said...yeah, some of the "surprise tactics" used by Kuroko's team have been used in every American highschool gym for the last 50 years. Japan's still lagging behind the rest of the world in basketball, and the show actually teases itself in that regard.

Story-wise, it's exceptionally well-written. The main character being a pure point guard who's only great skills are floor awareness and court vision is something that's never been tried in American cinema. In %99 of them, it's the same old narrative of the superstar showing up to carry the team to victory. The main character of this show actually is useless on his own, but is great because he makes the teammates around him better. The basketball itself is pretty primitive, but it captures the spirit of the game flawlessly. There's something neat about celebrating that.

Kstat
05-28-2012, 12:12 PM
I figured since it's been years since the old Ranma 1/2 thread died off, I'd just go ahead and make this the new home for all anime/manga talk.

Aside from Kuroko no Basket, I just finished watching Guilty Crown, which Sony obviously poured a ton of money into, but apparently couldn't find writers worth a **** to build a better story around the breathtaking animation and sound/music.

Also...and it pains me to say this...but I've started reading Nazo no Kanojo X at the behest of my girlfriend, and i cannot put it down. The story is just amazing. I've never seen anything quite like it.

Suaveness
05-28-2012, 05:37 PM
The only anime I've watched in the past year and half was Getbackers, and that was just recently. I'm suffering anime withdrawal...tremors, diaphoresis, twitching. At least I've been keeping up with Naruto/Bleach manga.

Kstat
05-28-2012, 08:09 PM
I only started to get back into it a few weeks ago.

Sparhawk
05-29-2012, 11:02 AM
I'll definitely give it a shot. I love Naruto and Bleach. Can't get into OnePiece or SoulEater.

I'm really digging Moribito, which is a short series Anime (26episodes I think). Almost done with it. It's pretty slow pace, but I've enjoyed it.

I'll need to check out Getbackers too.

/Cowboy Bebop is probably my favorite anime of all time (and I've never seen the last episode!)

Kstat
05-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Ongoing Manga I'm following:

Kuroko No Basket
Nazo No Kanojo X
Naruto
Bleach
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Fairy Tail
High School of the Dead

Manga I've completed:

Battle Royale
Fullmetal Alchemist
Soul Eater
Ranma 1/2
Maison Ikkoku
Genshiken
Death Note
Rurouni Kenshin

Ongoing anime I'm following:

Fairy Tail
Kuroko No Basket
Kaze No Kanojo X
Naruto

Anime I've completed:

Bleach
Fullmetal Alchemist
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Ranma 1/2
Maison Ikkoku
Genshiken
Kujibiki Unbalance
Full Metal Panic
Vandread
Guilty Cross
Kaze no Stigma
Chrono Crusade
Spiral
X
Infinite Stratos
Tenjho Tenge
Code Geass
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Pumpkin Scissors
Basilisk
Azumanga Daioh
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Excel Saga
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Gungrave
Hellsing
Love Hina
Samurai Girls
Kiddy Grade
Rurouni Kenshin
Witch Hunter Robin
Slayers
Scrapped Princess
Blood-C
Kore Wa No Zombie Desu Ka
HighSchool of the Dead
Afro Samurai
Samurai 7
FLCL
Madoka
Denetsu no Yusha no Denetsu
Steins; Gate
Samurai Champloo
Gurren Lagen
Basilisk
Blood-C
Black Blood Brothers

Sparhawk
05-29-2012, 02:34 PM
I find more and more that the Japanese just can't end a manga/anime epically. They always get really weird (Blue Gender anyone) or just fizzle.

Avatar The Last Airbender, did a combo of anime art style and japanese mythology, and mixed it with American storytelling. What happened was the most episodes were excellent and then ended with a pure epic fight.

Blue Gender started out so cool and by the time I got to the end, I wondered why I was even watching this crap.

Death Note started out epic, but I found the ending to be pretty lacking too. It's still a great series though.

Full metal was awesome, but the ending was more of a fizzle to me. Even the movie after the end didn't set things right. I'm not sure how different Brotherhood is, but I haven't watched any of it yet. Full Metal is still a great.

Just have no idea how the endings just don't get the attention they deserve.

Naruto is already like that. If you're caught up in the manga, you'll see that there are major boss fights now and they are typically only lasting like 1 manga chapter. These are powerful ninjas and are getting beat so quickly. It really seems like Kishi just wants to be done with the series rather than crafting great battles. And it's pissing me off that they've totally ignored Hinata's confession for Naruto. Ahhhh!!

Love Bleach, no problems other than they skip over the stuff about Ichigo's dad. Glad the anime is NOT cancelled, rather the anime caught up too quickly with the manga and is on hiatus for awhile.

Kstat
05-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Death Note started out epic, but I found the ending to be pretty lacking too. It's still a great series though.

I thought Death Note's ending was spectacular. Did not watch the anime version though, so maybe they messed it up.

Full metal was awesome, but the ending was more of a fizzle to me. Even the movie after the end didn't set things right. I'm not sure how different Brotherhood is, but I haven't watched any of it yet. Full Metal is still a great.

Fullmetal Alchemist died a slow painful death because they decided to create their own storyline instead of waiting for the Manga to finish. It was a horrible mistake and was rectified when FMA: Brotherhood re-booted the series.

Anime producers need to understand they they are supposed to be adapting a manga for TV. They are not supposed to crate their own story. If they could do that effectively, they would be writers and not producers.

Just have no idea how the endings just don't get the attention they deserve.

Because %99 of anime suffers from either not staying true to the Manga they are based off of (See: FMA), or being canceled before the end of the Manga and being forced to cram in their own ending (See: Soul Eater) as a rushed substitute.

The book is the source material. If you want a better ending, go read the manga and you'll likely get one.

Naruto is already like that. If you're caught up in the manga, you'll see that there are major boss fights now and they are typically only lasting like 1 manga chapter. These are powerful ninjas and are getting beat so quickly. It really seems like Kishi just wants to be done with the series rather than crafting great battles. And it's pissing me off that they've totally ignored Hinata's confession for Naruto. Ahhhh!!

Naruto is driven by popularity. It's why they have character polls in Japan every year. Hinata has fallen off the map because, well, nobody likes her.

Love Bleach, no problems other than they skip over the stuff about Ichigo's dad. Glad the anime is NOT cancelled, rather the anime caught up too quickly with the manga and is on hiatus for awhile.

Bleach's popularity in Japan has completely tanked since 2009. It's no longer considered a must-read. While it's probably true that they will go back and animate the final manga arc after its conclusion, there's a reason for that. As of right now, the anime is canceled, and Kubo Tite has been given his orders to wrap the Bleach Manga up sooner rather than later. This was not his call.

Sparhawk
05-29-2012, 03:52 PM
That's pretty strange odd about Bleach. It's pretty awesome if you ask me.

What are the most popular manga right now then? Bleach is sooooo much better than OnePiece, I have no clue how anyone can stand it. It has some of the worst art I've ever seen, like a 3rd grader draws it.

Kstat
05-29-2012, 04:00 PM
One piece is by far the most popular manga on earth. I dont care for it either but facts are facts. Naruto is second, but the gap is enormous. After that, it's a toss up between Blue Exorcist, Fairy Tail, and the series that has replaced Bleach as Shonen Jump's #3 series, Toriko.

Naruto sold roughly 7 million copies last year, making it the second-most popular manga series in the world. One Piece sold 38 million. That's more than the next seven series in the list combined.

FYI, Bleach came in 8th, down from 5th in 2010 and 3rd in 2009. This year, it likely won't even finish in the top 10.

Suaveness
05-30-2012, 07:46 PM

FMA: Brotherhood is a lot better than the original series. It followed the manga better, was better written, and had better combination of comedy and action. Much better show.

The problem with Naruto is that it's so big and there's so many storylines that they can't spend so much time on boss battles anymore. For Kishi, it's not about the individual battles as much as it is about the bigger picture, which is the war. If they focused on individual battles, it would take forever for them to finish the series.

I think Bleach is pretty awful honestly now. I think the manga should have ended awhile ago, it takes too long for things to get going in the series, and the storylines just are not as interesting anymore. It's kind of disappointing for me.

I thought Death Note's ending was spectacular. Did not watch the anime version though, so maybe they messed it up.

The end of DN in the anime wasn't very good. Not sure if that's how the manga ended, but the DN anime series was very good until the early 20s episode....then it stopped being good. It was pretty disappointing.

Cactus Jax
05-30-2012, 08:38 PM
I agree about Death Note, it's great for about 3/4 of it then the last part kind of sucks. I like Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop, Twelve Kingdoms, Berserk, Lucky Star, and Azumanga Daioh. There's a bunch more anime (I don't really do manga too much) that I like but those are some of my favorites.

Kstat
05-31-2012, 05:54 AM
Maybe they just ran out of time and rushed the ending? I thought it was one of the great endings I've ever read.

Go out and read the last volume if you haven't already.

Sparhawk
05-31-2012, 09:53 AM
Maybe they just ran out of time and rushed the ending? I thought it was one of the great endings I've ever read.

Go out and read the last volume if you haven't already.

I know I've see the anime, but I don't think I've read the manga. I'll have to double check on that. If I haven't, I'll read the manga and see where the differences lie.

Suaveness
06-10-2012, 09:40 PM
K, how was Otakon last year? Anything good this upcoming year?

TheDon
06-10-2012, 10:28 PM
I've started watching Wakfu which is a French anime (weird I know) that also has a game out for it that kind of plays like Final Fantasy tactics, the show itself is kind of an fantasy/adventure type setting but the episodes are pretty entertaining and memorable so far. Also just started watching Darker than Black, that one I feel could go either way on whether I end up liking it or not in the long run.

Also totally agree about death note. that ending in the anime was so god awful it almost inspired my nerdiness to new heights and write my own fanfic ending it was really that disappointing.

I really liked Soul Eater one of my favorite all time anime, first time I saw Lord Death I was like THAT'S WHERE THAT PERSON ON PACERSDIGEST GOT THAT FROM!!...anyways, what kinds of anime do you guys like?

Suaveness
06-10-2012, 10:46 PM
I thought Soul Eater had potential but the end was disappointing IMO. I think they could have done a lot more with those characters.

TheDon
06-11-2012, 12:14 AM
I thought Soul Eater had potential but the end was disappointing IMO. I think they could have done a lot more with those characters.

I think the Manga is still ongoing for what that's worth and I agree the ending wasn't the best but I loved the characters and the story. Also the opening song by tommy heavenly6 is catchy as hell imo. :D

Kstat
06-11-2012, 07:32 AM
K, how was Otakon last year? Anything good this upcoming year?

It was good. I'll have to skip it this year, though.

Sparhawk
06-11-2012, 07:38 AM
Moribito (anime)

Really liked this short series. It was slow pace, but the art was amazing and the fight scenes were pretty good.

Kstat
06-11-2012, 07:38 AM
I really liked Soul Eater one of my favorite all time anime, first time I saw Lord Death I was like THAT'S WHERE THAT PERSON ON PACERSDIGEST GOT THAT FROM!!...anyways, what kinds of anime do you guys like?
I'll watch anything so long as it's good. Hell, the two most recent manga I picked up are a basketball drama and a romantic comedy, both of which are way out of the box for my usual tastes.

on that note, here was the top ten most popular manga (by copies sold) in japan through june 1 2012.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-06-01/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series/2012-first-half

1 One Piece 13,833,116
2 Naruto 3,081,822
3 Hunter X Hunter 2,721,003
4 Uchū Kyōdai (Space Brothers) 2,684,223
5 Kimi ni Todoke 2,316,005
6 Fairy Tail 2,271,497
7 Bakuman. 1,986,502
8 Kuroko no Basuke (Kuroko's Basketball) 1,969,727
9 We Were There (Bokura ga Ita) 1,725,725
10 Attack on Titan 1,715,41

Two landmark developments. Bleach has dropped out of the top ten for the first time ever, and a basketball manga has taken its place at #8.

I highly recommend picking the anime/manga up. They're only ten episodes in so far.

Suaveness
06-11-2012, 02:29 PM
It was good. I'll have to skip it this year, though.

Oh that's too bad...this is the first time you aren't going in a long while, isn't it?

I'll have to check out Kuroko no Basuke. I'm out of touch with what's been good over the past 2 years, so I've got a bit of research to do to catch up.

Kstat
06-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Oh that's too bad...this is the first time you aren't going in a long while, isn't it?

I'll have to check out Kuroko no Basuke. I'm out of touch with what's been good over the past 2 years, so I've got a bit of research to do to catch up.

ten years.

I'm definitely doing another con next year, though. I'd like to check out anime expo one more time.

Kstat
08-04-2012, 07:08 AM
I actually took the time to read up on the last 13 years of one piece...I now understand why it's currently the undisputed king of manga in the world. To keep things fresh and insert cpnew and active ideas/themes for that long a time and still leave people wanting more....it's easy to see why bleach is on life support, and OP is just getting stronger.

Also....kuroko no basket. Wow this manga has a remarkable future.I hope the anime keeps pace. It's a love letter to American basketball through the eyes of a Japanese manga-ka and basketball fan. I'm really getting Into it, and I hope this manga keeps following kuroko and kagami through all three years at Seirin. It would also be really cool to see the generation of miracles end up in the NBA.

Sparhawk
08-05-2012, 08:29 AM
Just watched the first episode of D Grey Man and Samurai Champloo. Really digging both, but Champloo was simply awesome.

I really can't get into OP. The art is beyond horrible to me.

Kstat
08-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Samurai Champloo has quite possibly the best first episode of any anime ever, but gets progressively worse after the first ten episodes. It's right up there with Noir in the "episode 1 was the most memorable part of the series" category.

OP has poor art but it really isn't about the art style. It's got a much deeper story than you'd think at first glance. That's really what impressed me. The story structure is very well organized. There are well defined sagas, each saga broken into several well defined story arcs. They do a great job of never letting the story go stale. I found myself liking it despite the art style.

Kstat
08-05-2012, 10:20 AM
To expand on Kuroko no basket again after reading the latest chapter.....

It really is fascinating to see the writer's take on what would happen if a handful of teenagers with NBA potential were dropped into the fishbowl that is Japanese basketball.

In essence, a 16-year old Kobe or KG, special even among other young American phenoms, dropped into the Japanese basketball system, where the game is still far behind the rest of the world and everything revolves around team success.

It isn't out of the realm of possibility to say a 16-year old future NBA star in Japan would be able to demolish entire teams by himself, with little help. His effect on the game would far outclass what it would be here in America.

And what happens? You essentially get a microwaved superstar system. The top Japanese schools are so desperate to acquire them that they break their own rules and traditions to acquire them, and basically shove the kids that were already there aside to design the entire team philosophy around them.

The teams that don't acquire one of the six "generation of legends" phenoms are left out in the cold, and demolished by absurdly lopsided scores. While the story promotes the values of team play and camaraderie, it doesn't shy away from the hard truth: in the end, the superstar wins more often than not, and selfish play is not always necessarily a losing proposition.

Suaveness
08-05-2012, 04:04 PM
I actually don't mind the rest of the Samurai Champloo series, but I do think it takes itself too serious and loses its charm. I think the sword fights in that series are some of the best in anime, and it's really fun to watch.

Kstat
09-04-2012, 01:02 PM
The web novel Sword Art Online was finally animated recently. They put a lot of care and money into making it.

And if you haven't read the novel series itself, it is outstanding.

Kstat
09-06-2012, 11:07 PM
To follow up, watching sword arts online and accel world at the same time is really messing with my head. Its like reading chapter 1 and chapter 30 of the same book....

Sparhawk
09-07-2012, 09:24 AM
So finally Tobi was revealed in Naruto. Seems like most people guessed it. I even guessed it, but was secretly hoping I was wrong cause what I guessed was kinda lame.

It's still kinda lame, but I guess I'll have to read on to see if it starts to make more sense.

Kstat
09-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Worst kept secret ever.

Suaveness
09-07-2012, 07:04 PM
We all knew who Tobi was. Kinda hoped otherwise, but it was too obvious to be anybody else. Oh well.

In Bleach, Genryuusai is finally showing how badass he is. But that series needs to end.

Kstat
09-07-2012, 11:12 PM
I'm only following it to see it through. Bleach has sunk dramatically in my book, behind several series.

Sparhawk
09-08-2012, 08:17 AM
Man, I still love Bleach. I don't see what's wrong with it. I do agree that it should end soon, but not because it's gotten old or boring. I just don't see what more needs to be done.

Naruto, IMO, has fallen off a damn cliff. Since the start of the war, all the battles seem to be going so fast. These are some of the most powerful ninjas and they are over in a blink. Just not digging that.

Also, I really miss seeing battles besides Naruto and Sasuke, like Neji, Shino and Kiba. That's why I really got into the series was cause there were so many characters. Naruto keeps getting more powerful, but they keep him just as stupid as ever. *sigh* Why does the main guy need to be so dumb and loud? He doesn't need to be a genius, but he's like a few points short of being retarded.

I do wonder what side Sasuke will ultimately pick. It seems the Kishi is forcing Sasuke to be bad, but it really doesn't seem to fit. I don't see Sasuke as a bad guy. Am I the only one that thinks Kishi just writes Sasuke to be bad just to be bad, even if it doesn't seem to fit with the character? With Madara showing up, it's only a matter of time before Sasuke enters....

Also, WTF is wrong with Kishi? He has a full page with Hinata confessing her love for Naruto and then nothing. Holy **** snacks that is freaking annoying. At least have Naruto acknowledge her. Good lord.

Kstat
09-08-2012, 09:18 AM
Bleach has been old and boring since 2008. Its stunning dive in popularity can be traced directly back to the end of the Aizen saga, which had been building up for seven years and just fell flat on its face. The horribly written Xecution arc following it was the death blow. Bleach's popularity took a sharp nosedive, and kubo tite is lucky they didn't straight up cancel the series on him.

Naruto has been dragging on as well, but kishi hasn't had a "jump the shark" moment like kubo had where he just killed the popularity of his series. The obito thing could be that, but it's too early to tell.

Regarding hinata: that WAS her swan song. The whole confession thing was put out there to complete her development as a character. I'd think Naruto saving her life qualifies as an acknowledgement, but I doubt hinata has more than two lines the rest of the series. She is simply not a very popular character. Well, none of the young girls in Naruto are but sakura far exceeds her.

I would say that's why one piece managed to completely take over the manga world. It simply does not go stale. The plots are varied and rarely involve the same antagonists each time, and the supporting cast around Luffy is extremely strong. Both Naruto and bleach have fallen into the same traps of not developing the secondary characters well enough to stay afloat long term.

Kstat
09-08-2012, 04:40 PM
This guy sums it up way better than I could:

<iframe src="http://blip.tv/play/hMFzgvWoGQI.x?p=1" width="720" height="433" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://a.blip.tv/api.swf#hMFzgvWoGQI" style="display:none"></embed>

<iframe src="http://blip.tv/play/hMFzgvf5VQI.x?p=1" width="720" height="433" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://a.blip.tv/api.swf#hMFzgvf5VQI" style="display:none"></embed>

Sparhawk
09-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Bleach has been old and boring since 2008. Its stunning dive in popularity can be traced directly back to the end of the Aizen saga, which had been building up for seven years and just fell flat on its face. The horribly written Xecution arc following it was the death blow. Bleach's popularity took a sharp nosedive, and kubo tite is lucky they didn't straight up cancel the series on him.

Naruto has been dragging on as well, but kishi hasn't had a "jump the shark" moment like kubo had where he just killed the popularity of his series. The obito thing could be that, but it's too early to tell.

Regarding hinata: that WAS her swan song. The whole confession thing was put out there to complete her development as a character. I'd think Naruto saving her life qualifies as an acknowledgement, but I doubt hinata has more than two lines the rest of the series. She is simply not a very popular character. Well, none of the young girls in Naruto are but sakura far exceeds her.

I would say that's why one piece managed to completely take over the manga world. It simply does not go stale. The plots are varied and rarely involve the same antagonists each time, and the supporting cast around Luffy is extremely strong. Both Naruto and bleach have fallen into the same traps of not developing the secondary characters well enough to stay afloat long term.

Yeah, Aizen turned out to be just another typical bad guy and the end result was pretty bad. Didn't think it was that far different from most other anime, so I'm surprised it really killed it. I guess people are finally fed up of the same crap results.

Kstat
09-09-2012, 03:29 AM
I'd recommend trying one piece. Yes the artwork is silly, but as a series it is a model of how to keep a long running manga fresh, without falling into the traps that befell Naruto and bleach. The story arcs are creative, evenly-paced, and written with textbook precision.

If you prefer something shorter, I'd recommend any of the series I've mentioned in this thread, but stay away from the sword art online manga. It is a brilliant and deep web novel and they adapted it pretty well into the anime, but the manga adaptation was totally botched.

Kstat
09-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Speaking of Sword Art Online, if you haven't gotten into the anime, the first ten episodes are now out as of today, and it makes for a great jumping-in point.

They've done a commendable job of adapting the novel and managing to keep most of the core mature elements that made it so great.

Nuntius
02-27-2013, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the link, Suaveness :D

I recently picked up Kuroko no Basket and it's really good.

Sword Art Online was great as well. If you liked it, you may like Accel World.

Fairy Tail is probably my favorite.

Cactus Jax
03-01-2013, 02:41 AM
I mostly watch anime in english since I don't know Japanesse much, but I really liked Baccano, it's a little crazy and series is short but I thought it was pretty bad ***, much gorier than you'd think as well. One of those I wasn't expecting much and it was really good.

Nuntius
03-01-2013, 03:29 AM
Naruto keeps getting more powerful, but they keep him just as stupid as ever. *sigh* Why does the main guy need to be so dumb and loud? He doesn't need to be a genius, but he's like a few points short of being retarded.

If you think that Naruto is stupid then you better not pick up Fairy Tail. Natsu will drive you through a wall :laugh:

Sparhawk
03-01-2013, 12:31 PM
If you think that Naruto is stupid then you better not pick up Fairy Tail. Natsu will drive you through a wall :laugh:

It's not that it drives me nuts exactly. He gets more powerful, but that's about it. I guess I just want more character development.

Sparhawk
03-03-2013, 08:29 PM
I'm reading Berserk. I'm on Chapter 9 vol 9.

It's pretty *****ed up for the most part. Gonna give it awhile longer for the background stuff, but can't say I'm digging it so far. It's just brutal to be brutal.

pumpk35
03-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Greatest anime of all time has to be slam dunk, it starts kinda slow, but stick with it and its comical and basketball gold.

Nuntius
03-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Greatest anime of all time has to be slam dunk, it starts kinda slow, but stick with it and its comical and basketball gold.

I watched the first episode of Slam Dunk 2 weeks ago. The animation reaaaaally turned me off but I guess that's expected since the show is very old. I'll pick it up after I finish Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni (I'm currently at Kai and planning to watch the OVAs as well) and I'm sure that the animation will grow up on me. The comedy seemed good.

pumpk35
03-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Meant best basketball anime* and yeah sounds about right. The comedy/determination combination later in the series is incredible.

Kstat
03-16-2013, 12:16 PM
FYI, kuroko no basket finished 2012 as the second most popular manga in the world after one piece.

Kstat
03-16-2013, 01:18 PM
An update for everyone on what's caught my eye so far in 2013....

The Unlimited

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z-Xyq0xS6R4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

God this anime has shot up the charts like a missile and I can see why.

Here's a little background info:

It's a spin-off (or continuation from a different POV if you want to look at it that way) of a series from three years ago called Zettai Karen Children.

The universe itself has a very, very heavy X-men influence, with mutant powers being replaced by psychic abilities (they're called espers), the conflict between the 5% of the human population that has them and the 95% that don't, and also the growing conflict between the espers that believe war with normal humans is inevitable and those that believe an apocalyptic future can be averted.

While the universe and setting are very much influenced by X-men, the story itself is very original. It does a great job setting itself apart with excellent writing.

without spoiling too much, The Unlimited is told from the point of view of the villains. It centers around Kyousuke Hyobu, who in pretty much every way is the Japanese Magneto, in both his ambitions and his power (he's psychokenetic, so everything is his "metal").

There is an insane amount of money poured into this. The music, the sound, the animation...it's all gorgeous. And the story gets you hooked immediately.

Also, there's something to be said for a series where neither of the main characters are really good or bad people. You're torn between rooting for and against them depending on the episode.

There's also the bonus of the three child protagonists from Zekkai Karen Children appearing several years older as teenagers, and having more control over their massive power. They aren't involved with the main plot and you don't need to see the first show to understand them, but dammit it made me want to see the original series as well.

This anime is worth the Crunchyroll subscription by itself. It's the Sword Art Online of 2013.

Kstat
03-16-2013, 01:24 PM
...and what I'm looking forward to in 2013:

Attack on Titan

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/znvVz-V-4Oc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Series begins 4/7/13. An adaptation on the very popular manga about a space colony under attack from man-eating giants.

Think Walking Dead, with 100-foot zombies.

Sparhawk
03-16-2013, 07:44 PM

Attack on Titan

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/znvVz-V-4Oc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Series begins 4/7/13. An adaptation on the very popular manga about a space colony under attack from man-eating giants.

That looks real good. Psyched for this.

Kstat
03-21-2013, 04:34 PM
So...I was so curious about the source material for The Unlimited that I picked up the manga Zettai Karen Children....it's good. Very good.

So rarely do you get something that mixes humor, action and drama so well...and though he main characters start as bratty 10 year olds,they age in real time. In addition, you have an apocalyptic vision of the future taking place when they turn 20, that becomes more like an axe over everyone's heads as the years go by. There are so many good twists in this, as attempts to change the future get more and more desperate.

They're currently 5 years in, and I'm hooked to see what happens as the series gradually makes it to year ten.

Nuntius
03-21-2013, 06:24 PM

Attack on Titan

I've heard about that in an anime forum. I plan to watch this when it is released :D

Sparhawk
03-25-2013, 08:52 PM
Darker Than Black anime on Netflix.

6 episodes in. I'm hooked so far.

Kstat
03-25-2013, 10:50 PM
Darker Than Black anime on Netflix.

6 episodes in. I'm hooked so far.

Stay away from season 2. Say far, far away from season 2....

Sparhawk
03-26-2013, 10:02 AM
Stay away from season 2. Say far, far away from season 2....

Another anime that starts off strong and just can't maintain. Ugh. I'll have to check where I'm at.

Kstat
03-26-2013, 02:45 PM
Another anime that starts off strong and just can't maintain. Ugh. I'll have to check where I'm at.

Darker than black is almost universally loved. Just don't get excited over season 2. It murdered the popularity of the series.

I treat it like season 3 of Rurouni Kenshin. Better to stop after season 2 and pretend the 3rd one doesn't exist.

BTW, if you're on netflix, check out Kaze no Stigma. It's very good, but the creator died shortly after beginning it, so there's nothing after season 1 to continue a decent storyline.

The best anime on netflix by far is History's Strongest disciple Kenichi. One of those series that ended long before its time, but still gives you a satisfying conclusion.

Kstat
03-26-2013, 02:52 PM
FYI, Here are some free Crunchyroll guest passes. Good for 48 hours once you activate them.

You'll have to sign up for an account first, but there's no credit card necessary.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/guest_pass?code=PUGH4DCBFDT - expires 4/2

http://www.crunchyroll.com/guest_pass?code=96PEWDC5JQL - expires 5/2

http://www.crunchyroll.com/guest_pass?code=XHUK3D9A79F - expires 6/2

The Unlimited just finished up two nights ago. I strongly suggest checking it out.

Nuntius
03-27-2013, 04:02 AM
So, I picked up Bakemonogatari. It really is something.

Sparhawk
03-27-2013, 06:43 AM
Darker than black is almost universally loved. Just don't get excited over season 2. It murdered the popularity of the series.

I treat it like season 3 of Rurouni Kenshin. Better to stop after season 2 and pretend the 3rd one doesn't exist.

BTW, if you're on netflix, check out Kaze no Stigma. It's very good, but the creator died shortly after beginning it, so there's nothing after season 1 to continue a decent storyline.

The best anime on netflix by far is History's Strongest disciple Kenichi. One of those series that ended long before its time, but still gives you a satisfying conclusion.

No idea if seasons are volumes. I'm on volume 3 episode 3. I'm still digging it. I'll see how it plays out.

Kstat
03-27-2013, 03:00 PM
No idea if seasons are volumes. I'm on volume 3 episode 3. I'm still digging it. I'll see how it plays out.

First 25 episodes are season 1. Last 12 are season 2.

Sparhawk
03-31-2013, 06:26 PM
Any thoughts on Ubel Blatt?

Kstat
04-09-2013, 08:24 AM
So...um...Attack on Titan....holy ****.

That was episode one?

Sparhawk
04-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Is crunchy roll the only place you can watch it?

I guess I'll have to Google it when I get home.

Kstat
04-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Is crunchy roll the only place you can watch it?

I guess I'll have to Google it when I get home.

Crunchyroll is still in talks. Apparently the company that owns the rights refuses to sell them.

Anime4psp.org is your friend. I go there for all the anime not supported by crunchy roll.

Kstat
04-13-2013, 03:13 AM
I.G. finally reached an agreement with Crunchyroll. Attack on Titan is coming starting Sunday!

Kstat
05-02-2013, 06:44 PM
so...that opening...

(turn on CC if you want English subtitles)

I can't get enough of this show. And we're still only 4 eps in.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XMXgHfHxKVM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sparhawk
05-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Kenichi

Not sure why this is rated so high. I'm only 4 episodes in and I want to tear my eyes out. Just keep thinking it has to get better....

Kstat
05-03-2013, 02:58 PM
Kenichi

Not sure why this is rated so high. I'm only 4 episodes in and I want to tear my eyes out. Just keep thinking it has to get better....

it picks later on.

Nuntius
05-04-2013, 10:07 PM
Shingeki no Kyojin is really amazing. Both the opening and the actual show are kick-***.

Sparhawk
05-18-2013, 09:36 PM
Samurai 7

Wow, just 9 episodes in, but I'm hooked. Sucks it's only 26ep total.

Sparhawk
05-18-2013, 09:37 PM
What, Kenichi is only 2 seasons? Looks like the anime series was cancelled. Can't find anything after the 2nd season. It was ok, so not completely disappointed.

Kstat
05-19-2013, 01:49 AM
What, Kenichi is only 2 seasons? Looks like the anime series was cancelled. Can't find anything after the 2nd season. It was ok, so not completely disappointed.

Nope.

On the plus side, at least they wrapped season 2 up best they could. If you didn't know any better, you'd think that was the entire story.

Kstat
05-19-2013, 01:52 AM
Samurai 7

Wow, just 9 episodes in, but I'm hooked. Sucks it's only 26ep total.

You'll understand why if you ever saw the original 1954 epic Seven Samurai by Akira Kurosawa, or it's American successor The Magnificent Seven.

It's one of those shows that you really love, but you never ever want to watch twice.

Basilisk is another great example of this.

Sparhawk
05-19-2013, 02:02 PM
You'll understand why if you ever saw the original 1954 epic Seven Samurai by Akira Kurosawa, or it's American successor The Magnificent Seven.

It's one of those shows that you really love, but you never ever want to watch twice.

Basilisk is another great example of this.

Basilisk is next on my list believe it or not. A friend recommended it. I did watch the first episode awhile ago, but it never drew me in. I'll watch it after this series.

Well, Samurai 7 is certainly better than Trigun. Trigun was another disappointment...started off great and fell flat at the end.

Any thoughts on Samurai Deeper Kyo?

Kstat
05-19-2013, 03:19 PM
Basilisk is next on my list believe it or not. A friend recommended it. I did watch the first episode awhile ago, but it never drew me in. I'll watch it after this series.

Well, Samurai 7 is certainly better than Trigun. Trigun was another disappointment...started off great and fell flat at the end.

Any thoughts on Samurai Deeper Kyo?

Believe it or not, never got into that one.

Trigun finished poorly, but it wasn't given a lot of time to tell a deeper story. The manga did a better job with more time.

Sparhawk
05-20-2013, 02:22 PM
4 more episodes to watch of Samurai 7. Kinda sad now that 1 member is dead and another ran off.

Kstat
05-27-2013, 06:31 AM
Back to Attack in Titan

....so, part 4 of the battle of Trost....wow. This is high end stuff. That was cinematic good. Just amazing. I could watch episode 8 ten more times. It's a ****ing masterpiece.

Sparhawk
05-29-2013, 09:32 AM
Back to Attack in Titan

....so, part 4 of the battle of Trost....wow. This is high end stuff. That was cinematic good. Just amazing. I could watch episode 8 ten more times. It's a ****ing masterpiece.

I'll wait awhile til I start watching. Want to build up some episodes so I'm not waiting.

Sparhawk
05-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Finished Samurai 7. The end battle was pretty good. The after stuff was a little strange...and sad.

Kstat
05-29-2013, 10:06 AM
I'll wait awhile til I start watching. Want to build up some episodes so I'm not waiting.

Watch it now. The battle of Trost arc just ended. Great jumping in point.

Kstat
05-29-2013, 10:06 AM
Finished Samurai 7. The end battle was pretty good. The after stuff was a little strange...and sad.

Told you.

Again...it's a 50 year old formula. Seven Samurai and The Magnificent Seven ended roughly the same way.

Nuntius
05-30-2013, 12:48 PM
Back to Attack in Titan

It really is a great show. The story, the animation, the OST. Everything about it is great.

Kstat
06-09-2013, 02:00 AM
So...I just got done re-watching Slam Dunk on crunchyroll, and I find that I appreciate it more as time goes on. The little fundamental details are really cool. So many references to late 80's/early 90's NBA. What a wonderful series. Too bad they couldn't animate the second half of the manga.

If anyone here hasn't seen it, let me know and I'll hook you up with a day pass.

Nuntius
06-10-2013, 12:01 PM
So...I just got done re-watching Slam Dunk on crunchyroll, and I find that I appreciate it more as time goes on. The little fundamental details are really cool. So many references to late 80's/early 90's NBA. What a wonderful series. Too bad they couldn't animate the second half of the manga.

Ι have started it but I left it at episode 5. It really seems like a great anime but I just cannot get used to the animation. I'll get used to it in time, though, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it :D

Thoughts on the new Shingeki no Kyojin episodes?

Kstat
07-20-2013, 09:43 AM
Attack on Titan just keeps getting better..,the production values are off the charts at this point. The new opening clip is cinematic quality...

On a side note, I recently picked up A Certain Magical Index and its sister series, A Certain Scientific Railgun (still ongoing). Very cool premise, even though much of the cast isn't original. It was worth the effort to get caught up.

Kstat
07-22-2013, 06:55 AM
Damn that is gorgeous.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lVTiS-jZmVQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Railgun is close. Not as jaw-dropping as AOT, but still a very high-quality OP.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yOYIixp6THA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sparhawk
07-22-2013, 12:06 PM
Watching Soul Eater. Not sure how far in Netflix will take me. The Kishin has just been released and his madness has started to take hold of Stein.

Just started to read Fairy Tale. Only about 10 chapters in, so very early still.

Kstat
07-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Watching Soul Eater. Not sure how far in Netflix will take me. The Kishin has just been released and his madness has started to take hold of Stein.

Just started to read Fairy Tale. Only about 10 chapters in, so very early still.

The Soul Eater anime has nothing but disappointment in store for you. Like most short-lived anime based on an ongoing manga, they had to go away from the source material halfway through and make up their own ending. And oh god, what a convoluted ending... :laugh: One of my top 5 worst anime endings of all time.

Fairy Tail is addicting. You'll go through a lot of interesting arcs before they run out of good stories to tell and start aiming for the lowest common denominator (**** it, lets just draw softcore porn!). I've long since lost faith in it.

Suaveness
07-23-2013, 06:22 PM
Soul Eater was a complete disappointment. The ending was just stupid. What a waste, because that could have been a great series.

Kstat
07-25-2013, 09:15 AM
I don't see how. They didn't have any source material to go on after the first dozen episodes. The Soul Eater manga is just now finishing up, and the anime ended what, 5 years ago?

Sparhawk
07-25-2013, 12:19 PM
The Soul Eater anime has nothing but disappointment in store for you. Like most short-lived anime based on an ongoing manga, they had to go away from the source material halfway through and make up their own ending. And oh god, what a convoluted ending... :laugh: One of my top 5 worst anime endings of all time.

Fairy Tail is addicting. You'll go through a lot of interesting arcs before they run out of good stories to tell and start aiming for the lowest common denominator (**** it, lets just draw softcore porn!). I've long since lost faith in it.

I really hate Soul Eater actually. I kept hoping it would get better and that it just started slow. I've given up on it actually.

Fairy tale seems like a mix between Naruto (brash, loud lead) and One Piece (for the art direction). Haven't cared for it for the most part...but it's still early. I'll read more this weekend.

Nuntius
08-12-2013, 05:22 AM
Shingeki no Kyojin's story is really starting to unfold in those last episodes. It's really intense.

Kstat
08-12-2013, 06:54 AM
Still highly impressed with the production quality and the writing.

Nuntius
08-12-2013, 06:57 AM
Still highly impressed with the production quality and the writing.

Agreed. The animation is simply amazing and story is great.

Kstat
09-12-2013, 06:58 AM
AoT is edging closer and closer from "best Anime of the year", to "transcendent masterpiece."

Sparhawk
10-25-2013, 10:56 PM
Just watched the first episode of Attack on Titan

Wow, what a great first episode.

Sparhawk
10-26-2013, 11:07 PM
Just finished episode 8 where Erin emerges from the Titan.

WTF is up with those Titans. Especially how the super tall ones just appear in front of the gate. Why don't they just appear inside the gate. How did Erin take over that Titan and even the Titan looking like Erin? I'm still interested in that big armored Titan...looked like a robot.

Can't wait till some of these mysteries are revealed.

Nuntius
10-27-2013, 07:19 AM
The last chapter of the manga certainly bring Shingeki closer to a masterpiece.

Kstat
12-10-2013, 04:31 AM
So...the fall 2013 anime class is shaping up to be the deepest I've seen in a while.

Arpeggio of Blue Steel, Ace of Diamond, Galilei Donna, where do I even start? Not to mention long awaited comebacks of Kuroko no Basket and Haijime No Ippo. Nothing here on AoT's level, but the depth is extraordinary.

Arpeggio is just barely my favorite of this bunch, but that seems to change by the week. The most recent episode...just brilliant in so many ways.

Kstat
01-11-2014, 07:03 PM
Ok, so I finally gave in and watched the Hunter X Hunter reboot... I will say this: it's surprisingly brutal for your standard Shonen fare. The characterization isn't anything special (the main character is downright bland), but the arcs and the circumstances themselves are some of the best you'll ever see in a long-running show like this one.

The arcs are less defined by character development, and more by survival. Very early on, it's made clear that anyone outside of the initial main cast is fair game. It's a fantasy/adventure story, but there are real life and death consequences to every decision than Gon and Killia have to live with.

I also appreciate for once that teenagers can't become as powerful as adults three times their age overnight, prodigies or not.

I highly recommend this series. Though it lacks the style of Bleach or the endearing characters of One Piece, it's easily the smartest of the epics.

Sparhawk
01-17-2014, 12:27 PM
Attack on Titan season 1 is on Netflix.

Anyone see this anime yet? Any good? sounds interesting.

http://kotaku.com/i-cant-decide-if-samurai-flamenco-is-brilliant-or-terr-1503049913

Kstat
02-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Attack on Titan season 1 is on Netflix.

Anyone see this anime yet? Any good? sounds interesting.

http://kotaku.com/i-cant-decide-if-samurai-flamenco-is-brilliant-or-terr-1503049913
It's one of those show that tries to be different, to varying degrees of success. You either love it or you hate it. I hated it, but can see why someone else would love it.

Very uninspiring Winter 2014 season, BTW. Wizard Barristers is the only thing I've shown even remote interest in.

I'm more interested in the rest of Ace of Diamond, Hajime no Ippo and Kuroko no Basket than I am any of the new stuff. Who knew sports anime would be so dominant this year?

Also, I want to make special note of Log Horizon, another show that debuted last season that started terribly to the point I gave up on it early, but has since rebounded to become a much better show than I anticipated. I strongly suggest trying it out and giving it a good 10 episodes.

Sparhawk
02-10-2014, 12:29 PM
Blade of the Phantom Master on Netflix.

Eh, decent animation. They made the lead completely unlikeable though. Ending boss fight was very anti-climatic.

It's a movie, but seemed like it might be part of a series. Maybe that's the reason it didn't resonate so well with me, felt like a lot of stuff was missing.

Sparhawk
04-08-2014, 12:36 PM
Anyone see Steins;Gate yet? I just read that it's pretty good. Seems a little like Death Note, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Gonna have to find it and watch it.

Kstat
04-14-2014, 09:35 AM
Anyone see Steins;Gate yet? I just read that it's pretty good. Seems a little like Death Note, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Gonna have to find it and watch it.
I liked it initially, but it just never seemed to go anywhere.

Killer soundtrack, though. The OP is on my car playlist.

Nuntius
04-17-2014, 12:53 AM
Also, I want to make special note of Log Horizon, another show that debuted last season that started terribly to the point I gave up on it early, but has since rebounded to become a much better show than I anticipated. I strongly suggest trying it out and giving it a good 10 episodes.

I saw it and I liked it a lot. I'm a fan of RPG-themed anime and so it was quite easy to be drawn by Log Horizon. Good show overall and I'm hoping for a 2nd season. I'm also hoping for a 3rd Kuroko no Basket season. Great anime as well.

PS: I also watched Noragami from the winter season. Good show overall. I'd like to see more than 12 episodes out of it.

PS II: I spent most of the winter season watching Eyeshield 21. I absolutely loved it. Komusubi and Kurita are soooooooooooo amazing. Too bad that the anime stopped before the Kanto Tournament Finals.

PS III: Fairy Tail 2014 has begun. Happy is back :D

I haven't seen Steins;Gate yet but I've heard good words about it.

Sparhawk
04-17-2014, 12:34 PM
I'm still sad that Bleach isn't very popular anymore. I still love it and prefer it over Naruto, which has turned into one giant crap. At least the final battle is commencing. Just hate when something starts off so great and then turns to crap by the end of it. Kind of reminds of of Inuyasha...felt it went downhill completely by the end.

Nuntius
04-17-2014, 05:14 PM
I'm still sad that Bleach isn't very popular anymore. I still love it and prefer it over Naruto, which has turned into one giant crap. At least the final battle is commencing. Just hate when something starts off so great and then turns to crap by the end of it. Kind of reminds of of Inuyasha...felt it went downhill completely by the end.

I think that Bleach is still considered one of the Big 3. It just isn't very popular anymore because the anime stopped. A lot of people who watch anime do not read mangas and thus series that are cut abruptly and only remain in manga form tend to lose popularity.

Suaveness
04-17-2014, 07:42 PM
With all due respect I think Bleach sucks. It's the same tropes used over and over.

Naruto has gotten overcomplicated but the writing is much better than Bleach.

Sparhawk
04-19-2014, 10:13 PM
Started watching Monster after I read Del Toro will be involved with the tv series.

Very slow to start, but is pretty interesting.

Sparhawk
04-19-2014, 10:16 PM
With all due respect I think Bleach sucks. It's the same tropes used over and over.

Naruto has gotten overcomplicated but the writing is much better than Bleach.

I'll disagree with you on the writing. Naruto's writing is Dragonball Z bad. The lead character is an idiot. And has the same re-hashed, bad childhood deal over and over. We get it already, every child has to overcome tragedy and gets stronger because of it. Good lord.

Both have their warts, but at least Bleach entertains me with some cool battles. And the anime had some pretty sweet music too.

Kstat
04-19-2014, 11:08 PM
Bleach has more style, Naruto used to have more substance. Both of them seem like they ran out of original ideas long ago.

Naruto used to be about ninjas. Now it seems to be about magic with absolutely nothing related to ninjas whatsoever. Bleach used to be about shinigami and hollows. Now it's about who's sword has more power.

In the end, one piece outlasted them both. Still going extremely strong and fresh after 15 years.

Kstat
04-19-2014, 11:23 PM
Last season was awesome. Ace of Diamond was fun, and it's still going. The latest Haijime no Ippo installment was fantastic. Kuroko no Basket was as stylish and addictive as ever, and Hunter X Hunter manages to be slow paced and entertaining at the same time. That's not to mention Log Horizion. which will get another season in just 6 months!

On top of that, Ace of Diamond looks like its going to be an ongoing series.

Sports anime is making a huge comeback.

On to the new season, not as deep as the last but two that I've got my eye on:

Brynhildr of the Darkness

Having read the manga, I was happy when I heard this was going to be adapted. Very gritty, dark take on the magic warfare genre. Takes an overplayed idea and puts an original spin on it, similar to what Madoka did for the magical girl cliche.

Even the OP grabs your attention.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9iJT6dRN6W4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Haikyuu

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Rt9HVShaFMg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Highschool volleyball, and yet I was hooked immediately. This is basically like taking Shaq and Kobe and turning them into volleyball players. Both main characters take it so seriously it borders on parody, and yet they can't stand each other.

Nuntius
04-20-2014, 10:47 AM
I was planning to watch Haikyuu anyway but I didn't know anything about Brynhildr (which seems very interesting) so thanks, Kstat.

About Ace of Diamond now. How fun is it? Is it like Eyeshield 21 in terms of comedy?

Kstat
04-20-2014, 07:45 PM
I didn't care for eye shield, believe it or not. It's more grounded in reality, ala Slam dunk.

Nuntius
04-27-2014, 06:38 AM
So, I started Haikyuu. It's still early but it's very promising.

Sparhawk
04-30-2014, 09:03 PM
Kuroko's Basketball

Solid first episode. Looking forward to watching more. Time to get some sleep though.

Kstat
05-01-2014, 07:09 AM
Kuroko's Basketball

Solid first episode. Looking forward to watching more. Time to get some sleep though.

It's dragonball Z with basketballs. As long as you watch it in that frame of mind, it is awesome. What it lacks in substance it more than makes up for in style.

Just don't expect to see realistic basketball. That's more Slam Dunk's territory. And if you haven't seen/read it, and you're a basketball fan there is something wrong with you.

On a side note, I thought the Slam Dunk anime was good, albeit it was ended abruptly. When I went and read the manga (which extends the story another 1/3) I nearly cried. It's the best piece of basketball fiction ever written.

Sparhawk
05-01-2014, 07:28 AM
It's dragonball Z with basketballs. As long as you watch it in that frame of mind, it is awesome. What it lacks in substance it more than makes up for in style.

Just don't expect to see realistic basketball. That's more Slam Dunk's territory. And if you haven't seen/read it, and you're a basketball fan there is something wrong with you.

On a side note, I thought the Slam Dunk anime was good, albeit it was ended abruptly. When I went and read the manga (which extends the story another 1/3) I nearly cried. It's the best piece of basketball fiction ever written.

I didn't know about Slam Dunk. Normally I stick with fighting type manga and anime. I'm just now starting to branch out to other stuff. :)

Kstat
05-01-2014, 07:35 AM
I didn't know about Slam Dunk. Normally I stick with fighting type manga and anime. I'm just now starting to branch out to other stuff. :)

There are NBA references galore in it. It blends highschool, college and pro basketball themes into one amazing story. Bill Simmons would have a field day devoting an entire week to it on Grantland just breaking down all the references, subtext and what-ifs.

Sparhawk
05-07-2014, 03:08 PM
Phi Brain

About a high schooler who solves puzzles.

I really enjoyed the first episode.

Sparhawk
05-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Past episode 4 for Phi Brain. Liking it more than Kuroko's Basketball. Need to watch a few more episodes of Monster to see if that one is worth continuing to watch.

Suaveness
05-24-2014, 08:26 PM
Alright, been on an anime sabbatical the last 4 yrs or so. What are the must see anime that I must watch that came out these last 4 years? Gonna go on a binge soon.

Also K, are you going to Otakon this year?

Nuntius
05-25-2014, 10:16 PM
Alright, been on an anime sabbatical the last 4 yrs or so. What are the must see anime that I must watch that came out these last 4 years? Gonna go on a binge soon.

Shingeki no Kyojin is certainly a must.

Kstat
05-27-2014, 03:43 PM

I haven't been to a convention since Otakon 2011. I do miss it, though.

really a big chunk of the last 4 years has been covered extensively in this thread, but I can always throw stuff your way if you want specifics.

Kstat
05-27-2014, 03:48 PM
Speaking of which, this new season has settled in quite nicely. Brynhildr in the Darkness, Black Bullet, The Irregular at Magic High School and Haikyu have all had very strong starts.

I'm still wrapping my head around the fact I'm this interested in a show centered around high school volleyball. Good storytelling will do that, though.

Pace Maker
05-27-2014, 05:11 PM
Shingeki no Kyojin is certainly a must.
Yes (English name is Attack on Titan). Get's a bit too talky at times, but was an incredibly entertaining watch.

Kstat
05-27-2014, 05:28 PM
My top ten Favorite anime (since 2011) in no particular order:

Attack on Titan
A Certain Scientific Railgun
Hunter x Hunter
Kuroko no Basket
Sword Art Online
Accel World
Madoka
Mysterious Girlfriend X
Ace of Diamond
The Unlimited

Honorable mentions: Arpeggio of Blue Steel, Kill La Kill, Log Horizon

khaos01207
05-27-2014, 09:46 PM
Sword Art Online
Yus. Love it.

Suaveness
05-27-2014, 10:57 PM
I haven't been to a convention since Otakon 2011. I do miss it, though.

really a big chunk of the last 4 years has been covered extensively in this thread, but I can always throw stuff your way if you want specifics.

Fair enough. The last Otakon I went to was 2010. I'm actually moving to Morgantown which is only a 3.5 hr drive from Baltimore so I might have time to hit it up. I did enjoy the 3 yrs that I went, was quite fun.

Kstat
05-28-2014, 12:53 AM
Fair enough. The last Otakon I went to was 2010. I'm actually moving to Morgantown which is only a 3.5 hr drive from Baltimore so I might have time to hit it up. I did enjoy the 3 yrs that I went, was quite fun.
Yeah, that was good times. Except for the metal gear panel, that was boring as ****.

Tell you what Suave, you want to hang out at another anime con sometime, Betsey and I will be down for that.

Kstat
05-28-2014, 02:43 AM
Yus. Love it.

Chapters 5/6 (which will be season 2) is the best story arc so far.

Also, Accel World (takes place 20 years later) adds some really interesting subplots.

Kstat
05-28-2014, 11:13 AM
BTW I have a very long backlog of unused crunchyroll guest passes. Here's one if anyone is interested. It's good from 48 hours of activation.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/guest_pass?code=YVWJD96BBPK

Suaveness
05-28-2014, 11:18 AM
Yeah, that was good times. Except for the metal gear panel, that was boring as ****.

Tell you what Suave, you want to hang out at another anime con sometime, Betsey and I will be down for that.

Duly noted, it's more fun to go with others and you two were always fun. Tell Betsey I said hi.

I was never a fan of the Masquerades, I thought they dragged. But I loved the AMVs on Fri nights, and my favorite was the late night comedy videos, always fun.

Nuntius
05-29-2014, 06:57 AM
Also, Accel World (takes place 20 years later) adds some really interesting subplots.

Agreed. Accel World is very nice as well.

Nuntius
05-29-2014, 07:02 AM
The Unlimited

Talking about Zettai Karen Children's spin-off? I've heard good things about it.

Kstat
05-29-2014, 08:26 AM
Talking about Zettai Karen Children's spin-off? I've heard good things about it.

I wouldn't call it a spin off as much as a side story, but yeah it stands alone as the best possible representation of the series. It borrows a lot of material from X-Men but it gives it its own personality.

It's basically what X-men would be if the story were told from Magneto's perspective.

khaos01207
05-29-2014, 09:33 AM
Started Attack on Titan last night after many recommendations and what I read here. Very odd xD

Kstat
05-29-2014, 10:10 AM
Started Attack on Titan last night after many recommendations and what I read here. Very odd xD

It gets much odder and yet much less confusing as it plays out.

It's a lot like Walking dead, but more dramatic and much more creative.

khaos01207
05-29-2014, 10:42 AM
It gets much odder and yet much less confusing as it plays out.

It's a lot like Walking dead, but more dramatic and much more creative.
Yeah there was a lot of weird cuts and such, confused but still interested :P

Kstat
07-24-2014, 04:15 PM
That time again....and Simmer 2014 is proving to be a very good one. My picks:

Akame Ga Kill

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/A45hvq7C5GM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Best potential to be this year's Attack on Titan. A simple but gruesome tale of a group of assassins, and the lengths they're willing to go in order to change an cruel and corrupt world. This series oozes style (and blood. Lots and lots of blood). A good cast and an excellent premise. Best summer action popcorn show out there. It's a lot of fun without being mindless and generic.

Sword Art Online: Season II

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oZRFHZzGAno?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Gun Gale arc. My second favorite from the light novels, featuring my favorite character (Sinon). Takes a wild west/gun themed approach to the original game. Really looking forward to seeing how they bring this chapter to life. So far, I'm anything but disappointed.

Aldnoah Zero

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZXTol2NCEFY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sleeper hit of the season, possibly the entire year. It comes out of nowhere, grabs your attention and refuses to let go. I knew absolutely nothing about this show beforehand and I can't get enough of it. It's smart, gritty, tragic and the amazing production values give it a sense of style and cinematic feel that ties it all together. Set in an alternative universe timeline, an assassination attempt and a political power play becomes the precursor to an interplanetary war. The atmosphere is extremely immersible. I highly recommend this to pretty much anyone.

Sparhawk
07-25-2014, 12:24 PM
I'll definitely check our Sword Art.

I wanted to start Hunter X Hunter too. Is Monster X Monster a spin off?

Kstat
07-25-2014, 05:39 PM
I'll definitely check our Sword Art.

Is Monster X Monster a spin off?

Don't know what that is.

khaos01207
08-07-2014, 02:10 PM
Finished up Shingeki no Kyojin a couple of weeks ago, now I am almost caught up on the manga. I couldn't live with the cliffhanger that ep. 25 leaves you on so... :P

So damn good though, one of my favorites for sure.

khaos01207
08-07-2014, 02:12 PM
I have a friend who wants me to watch Naruto (for some reason I never watched it) I have heard mixed feeling about the series though... Thoughts?

Sparhawk
08-07-2014, 05:24 PM
I have a friend who wants me to watch Naruto (for some reason I never watched it) I have heard mixed feeling about the series though... Thoughts?

Started of so epically. I think he drug it out too long. It's almost over, but it's just constant power ups just cause. I'm only reading it now cause it's almost over and I feel like I need to finish it. The anime also suffers from "filler" episodes that aren't that good. Just tragic, this had the makings of something great.

Then again, Naruto suffers what most manga/anime suffers from. Great beginnings and the rest can't live up to that greatness it started out at. It's just downhill from the beginning. There are very few manga/anime, imo, that don't suffer from that. Cowboy Bebop, Death Note and Full Metal. Can't think of anything else outside of those.

I feel like I'm in the minority, but I still love Bleach! It's coming to an end too. It's on it's final arc.

Suaveness
08-07-2014, 07:16 PM
Death Note didn't really finish strong. Once a certain person dies halfway through it loses its edge frankly. The first 22 eps or so are great

Kstat
08-08-2014, 05:25 AM
Yeah it more or less struggles to the finish line.

Don't know if the anime ends any differently. I had no desire to see it after I read the manga.

Kstat
08-08-2014, 05:28 AM

It's a fun and thoughtful series. I can't say that you won't like it, because you will...and you will also hate the way it coughs and weezes to the finish line and pretty much ruins any dramatic tension that it spent twelve years building up. But those first 12 years...really a fun ride. Can't take that away.

Naruto is like a longer version of Bleach that way. The author clearly had a long term plan but somewhere along the line realized he had no plan for an ending and started making stuff up on the fly.

If you do decide to watch it (very, very big task) save yourself some time and skip the filler arcs. They're both notoriously terrible and equally boring. I don't care if they're ten episodes or 76 (seriously, in Naruto there is actually 76 straight episodes of pointless filler spanning 1 1/2 years). Skip right past them, do not even acknowledge they exist. They do not affect the story one bit, so you won't miss anything important.

Here's a guide. A bit outdated, but it gets you started.

http://www.narutohq.com/naruto-shippuden-fillers.php

Kstat
08-08-2014, 05:40 AM
Started of so epically. I think he drug it out too long. It's almost over, but it's just constant power ups just cause. I'm only reading it now cause it's almost over and I feel like I need to finish it. The anime also suffers from "filler" episodes that aren't that good. Just tragic, this had the makings of something great.

Then again, Naruto suffers what most manga/anime suffers from. Great beginnings and the rest can't live up to that greatness it started out at. It's just downhill from the beginning. There are very few manga/anime, imo, that don't suffer from that. Cowboy Bebop, Death Note and Full Metal. Can't think of anything else outside of those.

I feel like I'm in the minority, but I still love Bleach! It's coming to an end too. It's on it's final arc.

One Piece seems to be the lone exception here. Hunter X hunter also seems to have cheated its own decline by taking very long breaks and giving things time to sink in before continuing with the next major story arc.

FMA died a painful death because it sped past the manga and did its own thing, much like Rurouni Kenshin. FMA: brotherhood is a thing of beauty simply because it does not stray off the path.

Sparhawk
08-08-2014, 07:56 AM
Death Note didn't really finish strong. Once a certain person dies halfway through it loses its edge frankly. The first 22 eps or so are great

I was about to mention that, but still enjoyed the rest. It may have suffered cause the character that died was well liked. I was ok with that. The ending was a bit of a letdown due to the main characters reaction and seemed to act way out of character. I still enjoyed it though cause it didn't drag and add a ton of unnecessary filler.

Japanese are so good at drawing you into something, but just have a problem delivering a satisfying middle and end.

Sparhawk
08-08-2014, 08:01 AM
One Piece seems to be the lone exception here. Hunter X hunter also seems to have cheated its own decline by taking very long breaks and giving things time to sink in before continuing with the next major story arc.

FMA died a painful death because it sped past the manga and did its own thing, much like Rurouni Kenshin. FMA: brotherhood is a thing of beauty simply because it does not stray off the path.

I actually enjoyed both FMA series, but Brotherhood is superior since it sticks to the manga.

I keep meaning to start One Piece, but I just hate the artwork so much that it keeps me from starting it. I'm about to start Hunter X Hunter though.

I should catch up on History's Strongest Disciple and Fairy Tale. Not the greatest manga, but something to read. Fairy Tale feels like a poor mans Naruto.

Sparhawk
08-08-2014, 08:06 AM
Kstat - did you read the latest Naruto from this week?

When Kakashi got both of Obitos' eyes. *sigh* It's like the author is just giving a big middle finger to everyone. Just end it already. Also love how Naruto is able to continue to use the Sage powers infinitely now.

Kstat
08-08-2014, 08:47 AM
I actually enjoyed both FMA series, but Brotherhood is superior since it sticks to the manga.

I keep meaning to start One Piece, but I just hate the artwork so much that it keeps me from starting it. I'm about to start Hunter X Hunter though.

I should catch up on History's Strongest Disciple and Fairy Tale. Not the greatest manga, but something to read. Fairy Tale feels like a poor mans Naruto.
I cannot stand the artwork in One Piece. Thing is, the story is so damn good I don't even notice it anymore.

Fairy Tail is not in any way like Naruto. It's not any more original, mind you, but the cast is superior, even though the story is rather gutless with some exceptions. Its very stylish, which makes the generic plotlines easier to digest.

Fairy Tail is the best waste of time on Crunchyroll. I say that because the characterization is great so you can pretty much jump in anywhere and enjoy it not really having a full grasp of the plot.

Kstat
08-08-2014, 08:51 AM
Kstat - did you read the latest Naruto from this week?

When Kakashi got both of Obitos' eyes. *sigh* It's like the author is just giving a big middle finger to everyone. Just end it already. Also love how Naruto is able to continue to use the Sage powers infinitely now.
I read it because I've been reading it since 1999 and dammit I'm going to follow it to the end.

Am I the least bit interested? hell no. This series is dead to me. It's almost a game each week to see which series has become a bigger joke, Naruto or Bleach.

Sparhawk
08-08-2014, 03:21 PM
I cannot stand the artwork in One Piece. Thing is, the story is so damn good I don't even notice it anymore.

Fairy Tail is not in any way like Naruto. It's not any more original, mind you, but the cast is superior, even though the story is rather gutless with some exceptions. Its very stylish, which makes the generic plotlines easier to digest.

Fairy Tail is the best waste of time on Crunchyroll. I say that because the characterization is great so you can pretty much jump in anywhere and enjoy it not really having a full grasp of the plot.

How can you say they aren't similar? The lead characters are complete idiots, and his best friend is his main rival and who is a bit emo.

Kstat
08-08-2014, 04:24 PM
How can you say they aren't similar? The lead characters are complete idiots, and his best friend is his main rival and who is a bit emo.

You just described most shonen ever made.

FYI, Natsu's main rival is not Gray. He doesn't really have one. And while Gray is moody, he's hardly off the deep end like Sasuke. Also, Natsu isn't really an idiot, either. He's just got extreme motion sickness (like all the other dragon slayers).

And I get that Natsu is technically the main character, but Fairy Tail has always been about the very large cast. He's not really spotlighted like Naruto is.

Nuntius
08-12-2014, 11:32 PM

I'm with Kstat on this. Fairy Tail is not that similar to Naruto. The friendship that Natsu and Gray share is completely different from the one between Naruto and Sasuke. Natsu does act like an idiot most of the time but he's a lot closer to Luffy than he is to Naruto.

In general, Fairy Tail feels significantly closer to One Piece than it does to Naruto.

Sparhawk
08-13-2014, 09:00 AM
May or may not have been mentioned, but there are a bunch new Anime on Netflix. Sword Art, Hunter X Hunter and some others.

khaos01207
08-21-2014, 11:46 AM
May or may not have been mentioned, but there are a bunch new Anime on Netflix. Sword Art, Hunter X Hunter and some others.

Indeed.

khaos01207
08-21-2014, 11:46 AM
Almost caught up on SnK manga...
Started Naruto per friends suggestion, about 6 episodes in, pretty good so far.

Sparhawk
08-30-2014, 03:14 PM
Been watching Hunter X Hunter like a madman. Already on Season 2. Pretty good stuff.

Not sure why, but Gon reminds me of Astro Boy for some reason. Just every time I look at him. haha

I've also started to watch Death Note again. Also have Sword Art, Sidonia, Kill la Kill and Fate 0 on my watch list for Netflix.

Did see that Amazon Prime has Naruto, Bleach and some other popular anime. Haven't been on there for awhile, so not sure if that's new or not. Didn't really look to see how many seasons they had.

Kstat
08-31-2014, 08:06 AM
I've also started to watch Death Note again. Also have Sword Art, Sidonia, Kill la Kill and Fate 0 on my watch list for Netflix.

Death Note is something I'll never watch, because after reading the manga I have no desire to go on that journey again. I'm glad I did, but its one of those really good tragedies that you enjoy sitting through once, and only once.

Fate Zero is the Michael Bay production of fighting anime. Gorgeous with great action but I just don't care at all for the story or characters. The entire Fate series is like that for me...but Zero is the best example of the bunch.

Sidonia bored me to tears. Sad, because it's very artistic and the production values are high. It just lacks....energy, I guess? It's like someone tried to make a mech-themed Miyazaki anime, but without any of the charm.

Kill la Kill is exploitative satire, but the good kind. I hated myself for watching it and yet I couldn't quit. I'm glad I stuck it out because they give you a good ending.

As for Sword Art Online....damn if this show isn't schizophrenic. First arc was refreshingly original and emotionally gripping but disjointed and amateurish at times, the second arc was poorly written at best and reprehensible at its worst, but this third arc.....that's what I stuck around for (and the fourth, when we get to it).

I love SAO season II. I already know what's coming, but they adapted the GGO storyline really, really well that I'm still blown away. One of this year's best anime.

You don't see anime tacking something as serious as PTSD very often, as least not as well as SAO is doing it.

On that note, Sinon is a fantastic character.

Kstat
09-06-2014, 05:00 PM
GGO is so damn good. Watching Sinon completely break herself down mentally over 20 minutes was both sad and very well executed.

Nuntius
09-06-2014, 05:58 PM
Diamond no Ace is great as well. They even featured a knuckleballer in their last two episodes. Made me so proud :D

Kstat
09-06-2014, 07:11 PM
Diamond no Ace is a bit like Kuroko no Basket where it has very little to do with real baseball, but it uses real baseball themes.

It depicted the dual-sided nature of the Knuckleball as a martial art, which is both inaccurate and yet an extremely good analogy.

Nuntius
09-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Diamond no Ace is a bit like Kuroko no Basket where it has very little to do with real baseball, but it uses real baseball themes.

It depicted the dual-sided nature of the Knuckleball as a martial art, which is both inaccurate and yet an extremely good analogy.

I'd say that Diamond no Ace is a lot more realistic than Kuroko. Sure, Diamond can be a bit over the top as well at times (it is a shonen after all) but it's nowhere near Kuroko in that department.

Sparhawk
09-08-2014, 07:41 AM
Wrapped up the Ants arc last night.

Gon going completely off his rocker was surprising. Really liked how you can to like the bad guys too. A much different take on bad guys than you typically see. Still, I would have enjoyed more fights though. Just have to see where things go now that the King is dead.

righteouscool
09-14-2014, 12:11 PM
On Death Note; I'm about 9 episodes in and I'm losing my urge to keep watching. It is an awesome idea, but the main character is so insufferable that I can't stand it anymore. Should I struggle through? Does it get any better? I'm so tired of his brash, egotistical demeanor that it makes the storyline uninteresting to me.

Also, is there any word on when we'll get more Attack on Titan? Last I checked it was getting a second season, but nothing seemed confirmed. I am itching for more AoT...

Kstat
09-15-2014, 06:15 AM
On Death Note; I'm about 9 episodes in and I'm losing my urge to keep watching. It is an awesome idea, but the main character is so insufferable that I can't stand it anymore. Should I struggle through? Does it get any better? I'm so tired of his brash, egotistical demeanor that it makes the storyline uninteresting to me.

Light is what he is: a brilliant but deluded sociopath given godlike powers. He's insufferable, but that's what he's supposed to be. You're supposed to both respect and hate him. Being drunk with power is only going to feed into his delusions, so if you can't stand it I suggest you get off the train.

Also, is there any word on when we'll get more Attack on Titan? Last I checked it was getting a second season, but nothing seemed confirmed. I am itching for more AoT...

Not yet. I'm expecting they will order another season for summer or fall 2015. Sword Art Online took a similar break as well before they brought it back.

Sparhawk
09-16-2014, 10:04 PM
Sword Art Online was superb. I really wish they would have expanded and shown more of the virtual world. Shown him progressing and leveling up and things like that. You never really knew where his level was at in comparison to others, but you did get the notion that his level was better than most others. It just seemed to have blown through things really quickly. Really enjoyed it though.

I even like Sword Art Online II. Not quite the same level, but just really like the characters and story.

righteouscool
09-16-2014, 10:12 PM
Light is what he is: a brilliant but deluded sociopath given godlike powers. He's insufferable, but that's what he's supposed to be. You're supposed to both respect and hate him. Being drunk with power is only going to feed into his delusions, so if you can't stand it I suggest you get off the train.

Hmm, I guess I'll take a break and perhaps come back later. Next up, Sword Art Online (since I just noticed it on netflix).

Sparhawk
09-16-2014, 11:01 PM
Hmm, I guess I'll take a break and perhaps come back later. Next up, Sword Art Online (since I just noticed it on netflix).

Loved it.

I watched the first episodes of Fate 0 and Kill la Kill, and neither one resonated with me. Kill la Kill felt like I was on drugs, and I've never done drugs. It kinda freaked me out.

righteouscool
09-16-2014, 11:35 PM
I'm already three episodes in and addicted. This is awesome! I love finding great anime. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Kstat
09-17-2014, 02:22 AM
Sword Art Online was superb. I really wish they would have expanded and shown more of the virtual world. Shown him progressing and leveling up and things like that. You never really knew where his level was at in comparison to others, but you did get the notion that his level was better than most others. It just seemed to have blown through things really quickly. Really enjoyed it though.

Kirito's level at the end of the SAO arc was 96, easily the highest leveled player. Asuna was the closest player to him at 94.

Actually, you did get a comparison in the black cats side story just 5 months into the game where the guild Kirito was in averaged in the low 20's, and Kirito at that point was already at level 40.

I even like Sword Art Online II. Not quite the same level, but just really like the characters and story.

The GGO arc is where Reki really starts to find his stride as a writer. He did a great job worldbuilding in SAO but like you said, he sped through a 2-year arc way too fast.

There's actually a manga reboot called Sword Art Online: progressive that tells a much more detailed version of the first arc, told from Asuna's perspective. It's fairly new, but promising.

Sparhawk
09-17-2014, 12:56 PM
Kirito's level at the end of the SAO arc was 96, easily the highest leveled player. Asuna was the closest player to him at 94.

Actually, you did get a comparison in the black cats side story just 5 months into the game where the guild Kirito was in averaged in the low 20's, and Kirito at that point was already at level 40.

The GGO arc is where Reki really starts to find his stride as a writer. He did a great job worldbuilding in SAO but like you said, he sped through a 2-year arc way too fast.

There's actually a manga reboot called Sword Art Online: progressive that tells a much more detailed version of the first arc, told from Asuna's perspective. It's fairly new, but promising.

From the perspective of Asuna. Sounds really cool. Just really relatable and likeable characters.

I did forget about his level 96, but I guess I just wanted to see more cause I really enjoyed it so much. :)

And about the guild he was in, you are correct. That's why I wrote you got the feeling he was a higher level than most others because of the guild he was in and other interactions he had with other characters. You just didn't always know though.

Really think it would have been cool to see how he struggled early on solo'ing. You'd have to think he'd come close to death quite a bit.

The only other thing that bothered me was when he helped the girl get her dragon companion back. When he was attacked, you see his health immediately start to go back up, but everywhere else in the game, his health never seemed to go back up after a hit. Also, letting the laughing coffin guys just walk away when they could have stopped them right there. But all part of the plot.

Kstat
09-17-2014, 01:23 PM
Really think it would have been cool to see how he struggled early on solo'ing. You'd have to think he'd come close to death quite a bit.

He really wouldn't if you think about it. Being a Beta tester, he had firsthand knowledge of the game, and being that he was able to get further than any other tester, he had the most knowledge. He knew the risks/benefits of the game better than another other player, which is how he was able to stay miles ahead of everyone else.

. Also, letting the laughing coffin guys just walk away when they could have stopped them right there. But all part of the plot.

He had no way of knowing their levels, and it was three on one.

Sparhawk
09-18-2014, 08:22 AM
He really wouldn't if you think about it. Being a Beta tester, he had firsthand knowledge of the game, and being that he was able to get further than any other tester, he had the most knowledge. He knew the risks/benefits of the game better than another other player, which is how he was able to stay miles ahead of everyone else.

He had no way of knowing their levels, and it was three on one.

3 on 1? There was another team there that was about to be killed by LC. 4 of them, right? So it was 5 on 3.

Sparhawk
09-18-2014, 08:24 AM
Since I didn't care for Fate 0 and Kill la Kill, I think I'm finally going to start One Piece. Just have to power through some episodes til the art style doesn't get to me.

Kstat
09-18-2014, 09:48 AM
3 on 1? There was another team there that was about to be killed by LC. 4 of them, right? So it was 5 on 3.
It was 3 of them, and the only one they saw as a threat was paralyzed. They were already diacussing how to kill the other two and they hadn't even fought them yet. It would have been 3 on 3, with Kirito not knowing the strengths of either his allies or opponents.

The LC members bailed for the same reason. They didn't know Kirito's strength, nor if he had any backup on the way.

Kstat
09-18-2014, 09:54 AM
Since I didn't care for Fate 0 and Kill la Kill, I think I'm finally going to start One Piece. Just have to power through some episodes til the art style doesn't get to me.
The art sucks the most at the beginning too, so have fun with that.

On the plus side, there's very little filler.

Sparhawk
09-25-2014, 08:21 AM
One Piece - Just fininished the Arlong (fishmen) storyline.

I was starting to get fed up with One Piece, but this may have saved it for me. When Nami finally breaks down and asks Luffy for help, and then he gathers up the crew and says let's go. That walk up to the Arlong Park was pure badassery(sp).

Hopefully more is explained on the Devil Fruit. I understand it gave him rubber powers, but did it also increase his strength a lot too? The strength thing isn't really explained, so I'm curious as to why Luffy is so damn strong.

Kstat
09-25-2014, 09:10 AM
One Piece - Just fininished the Arlong (fishmen) storyline.

I was starting to get fed up with One Piece, but this may have saved it for me. When Nami finally breaks down and asks Luffy for help, and then he gathers up the crew and says let's go. That walk up to the Arlong Park was pure badassery(sp).

Hopefully more is explained on the Devil Fruit. I understand it gave him rubber powers, but did it also increase his strength a lot too? The strength thing isn't really explained, so I'm curious as to why Luffy is so damn strong.

Genetics, IMO.

Sparhawk
09-25-2014, 01:15 PM
Genetics, IMO.

Does it ever show his parents? I'm guessing I'll find out about those genetics at some point? haha

Kstat
09-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Does it ever show his parents? I'm guessing I'll find out about those genetics at some point? haha

It isn't like Luffy ate a fruit and all of a sudden became powerful. He trained hard. But IMO the reason why he's among the elite is genetics.

AesopRockOn
10-22-2014, 08:40 PM
So, other than watching Dragonball and Pokemon as a kid, I'm pretty new to TV anime. I've watched a few the past few months and remembered this thread existed.

Unreservedly, my favorite has been Kill La Kill. Not sure why my viewing of it is different from some others', but I found it to be a satirization of anime tropes and techniques. It did not have a completely coherent take on its themes, including the exploitation girls and young women in anime, so it kind of slashed apart everything in its path. It felt very Tarantino-y. Like, is Pulp Fiction pro- or anti-violence? The answer is 'yes'.

The trope of every male lead gathering the affection of every pretty girl becomes apparent pretty much immediately. (Holy ****, Sword Art Online is worse than porn.) So, multiple female protagonists made things pretty refreshing. The Devil is a Part Timer kind of struggles with this, but it was also actually pretty fun. I can't tell if it's ripping on the idea of big epic fantasy storytelling (probably my last favorite part of anime) or if it really wants to have a big dumb mythology.

I'm watching School Days now, but I don't think I can do much more. I'd actually welcome some tentacles in this snooze-fest.

Gurren Lagann was pretty great as well. Like Kill La Kill, it went so batshit and tried to up its stakes so much that it would lose its way and find it again within the same breath. Not quite as clever as KLK though. Attack on Titan, other than a few cool sequences, was just okay; seemed like there were major budget issues for that one.

I'm getting a handle on what some of the important series are to watch, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be glad to check them out.

Kstat
10-24-2014, 07:36 PM
I'm getting a handle on what some of the important series are to watch, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be glad to check them out.

You'd need to narrow it down to a genre or two.