PDA

View Full Version : So, Washington and Washington, D.C.

Nuntius
04-23-2012, 03:35 PM
I was under the impression that the State of Washington was at least close to Washington, D.C. But it is isn't. Why?

Pig Nash
04-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Named for George Washington, lots of places/streets/universities etc. are all over the country.

cdash
04-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Named for George Washington, lots of places/streets/universities etc. are all over the country.

This, basically. George Washington is a highly significant person in American history, obviously. Since he was the first president and is widely regarded as one of the top 2 presidents in American history, it is easy to see why so many things are named after him. Washington, DC is extraordinarily close to his Mt. Vernon, VA home, and it was planned as a capitol city during Washington's presidency. He actually did not want the city to be named after him, but his overwhelming fame and popularity made it an easy choice.

Nuntius
04-23-2012, 05:54 PM
I know about George Washington.

I just thought that Seattle, Washington was at least close to Washington, D.C. and was shocked to see that they are basically in the other side of the continent :p

cdash
04-23-2012, 06:02 PM
I know about George Washington.

I just thought that Seattle, Washington was at least close to Washington, D.C. and was shocked to see that they are basically in the other side of the continent :p

Yeah, I figured you did. The point is that there are cities, counties, roads, bridges, universities, etc. named after Washington all across the country.

Nuntius
04-23-2012, 06:08 PM
Yeah, I figured you did. The point is that there are cities, counties, roads, bridges, universities, etc. named after Washington all across the country.

Yeah, I know. It's just that both of them are quite important and so creates a small confusion.

It's just like East Chicago, Indiana actually. If it was a more well known city it would create some confusion :p

Pig Nash
04-23-2012, 06:16 PM
there's also michigan city in Indiana, an east st louis in illinois, kansas city is mostly in missouri.

Steagles
04-23-2012, 09:33 PM
In fact, there is a Washington street (the main road) in Indianapolis. Washington state is just named for George and DC is the District of Columbia. The District of Columbia is so named for the "godess" who protected the rebels against the British in poems of the time.

travmil
04-23-2012, 09:49 PM
The territory that became Washington State was originally supposed to be called Columbia after the Columbia River. When the territory was established in Congress they changed the name to Washington to honor George and avoid confusion with the District of Columbia.

cdash
04-23-2012, 10:31 PM
In fact, there is a Washington street (the main road) in Indianapolis. Washington state is just named for George and DC is the District of Columbia. The District of Columbia is so named for the "godess" who protected the rebels against the British in poems of the time.

Actually, while I think that played a part, the main reason it is named District of Columbia has more to do with it being the 300th year of Christopher Columbus "discovering" America. I'm a nerd.

Pacers13Colts12
04-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Until I was about 8 years old, I thought the Washington Redskins were in Seattle...then I found out about the Seahawks and put 2 and 2 together.

LG33
04-24-2012, 10:34 PM
I was surprised to find that the country of Georgia was not located within the State of Georgia. Also, I just discovered that Italy is a country in Europe, not a county in New Jersey.

Bball
04-25-2012, 12:10 PM
Until I was about 8 years old, I thought the Washington Redskins were in Seattle...then I found out about the Seahawks and put 2 and 2 together.

The Washington Redskins play in Maryland... but their team offices are in Virginia.

ilive4sports
04-25-2012, 04:39 PM
The Washington Redskins play in Maryland... but their team offices are in Virginia.

The New York Giants and New York Jets play in New Jersey...

Frostwolf
04-26-2012, 12:42 AM
there is a paris, texas.

cdash
04-26-2012, 05:07 PM
There is an Indiana University...in Pennsylvania.

ilive4sports
04-26-2012, 06:07 PM
There is an Indiana University...in Pennsylvania.

and I know a ton of people who go there. IUP

There is also an intercourse Pennsylvania.

Since86
04-27-2012, 10:19 AM
You can watch Hell freeze in Michigan.
http://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/4/4/3/7/hell-michigan.jpg