PDA

View Full Version : Beer

04-17-2012, 10:49 PM
What's good?

I've drank for years but only got into being a beer advocate the past year or two.

04-17-2012, 10:50 PM
This is the list of beers I've come up with off the top of my head that I've had...

Bell's Amber Ale
Bell's Oberon Ale
Bell's Octoberfest
Big Sky IPA
Big Sky Moose Drool Brown Ale
Big Sky Scape Goat Pale Ale
Blue Moon Belgian White
Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale
Blue Moon Pale Moon
Blue Moon Spiced Amber Ale
Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale
Boulevard Amber Ale
Boulevard Bob's 47 Oktoberfest
Boulevard Bully Porter
Boulevard Pale Ale
Boulevard Single Wide IPA
Boulevard Irish Ale
Boulevard Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale
Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat
Goose Island India Pale Ale
Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss
Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss
Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest
Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy
Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat
New Belgium Fat Tire Amber Ale
Samuel Adams Boston Lager
Samuel Adams Octoberfest
Samuel Adams Summer Ale
Shell's FireBrick
Shock Top Belgian White
Shock Top Raspberry Wheat
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Don't think I've had too many more but I've had a few more.

ilive4sports
04-18-2012, 12:29 AM
This is probably my favorite one:
http://www.venicepaparazzi.com/vp/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Bosteels_Tripel_Karmeliet.jpg

Lord Helmet
04-18-2012, 01:26 AM
Clear Creek Ice has a vast amount of flavors to it.

Pig Nash
04-18-2012, 02:12 AM
I like a lot of beers.

Shiner Bock
New Belgium Trippel
A multitude of IPAs (the hoppier the better)
Newcastle Brown Ale
Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat
If I'm being cheap I'll get some Bud Selects but that's rare anymore.

JB24
04-18-2012, 02:15 AM
http://refugesc.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Leffe-Blonde.jpg

Trader Joe
04-18-2012, 09:03 AM
Great breweries to try:

If you're from Indiana, you need to try everything you can from Three Floyd's and Sun King. Sun King is in downtown Indy, but you can find it at most liqour stores across the state sold in 4 pack pint cans. Three Floyd's is based out of Munster and is amazing little jewel to have a brewery this good in Indiana. They are widely regarded as one of the top 10 microbreweries in the country. You can find their stuff at most Indy liquor stores too.

Stone is a good brewery too, out of California, but they ship a lot of their stuff nationwide now. They are very big on going crazy with hops. They have an IPA called Ruination that may be one of the hoppiest beers I've ever had. It has an IBU over 100. If you like hoppy IPAs this is a must have, but if you don't like them I would stay far away.

jeffg-body
04-18-2012, 09:49 AM
Just a good old cold case of PBR.

travmil
04-18-2012, 11:25 AM
My absolute favorite beer of all time is:

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

I understand that beer is subjective and not every beer is for every drinker, but I would put it up against any other beer anyone ever said was the best.

At least until I find my next favorite beer of all time.

04-18-2012, 02:22 PM
If I'm being cheap I'll get some Bud Selects but that's rare anymore.

I drink cheaper beer than Bud Select all the time(Busch, Keystone). I like tasting different beers but I also like getting drunk

04-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Just a good old cold case of PBR.

Hey, if you're having a good time, why not? :buddies:

04-18-2012, 02:31 PM
My absolute favorite beer of all time is:

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

I understand that beer is subjective and not every beer is for every drinker, but I would put it up against any other beer anyone ever said was the best.

At least until I find my next favorite beer of all time.

Looked it up and sounds good. Personally, I'm a Bell's guy. I loved their Amber Ale and my favorite beer is Bell's Oberon(citrusy). You might like Blue Moon Spiced Amber Ale and Bell's Amber Ale.

04-18-2012, 02:32 PM
Great breweries to try:

If you're from Indiana, you need to try everything you can from Three Floyd's and Sun King. Sun King is in downtown Indy, but you can find it at most liqour stores across the state sold in 4 pack pint cans. Three Floyd's is based out of Munster and is amazing little jewel to have a brewery this good in Indiana. They are widely regarded as one of the top 10 microbreweries in the country. You can find their stuff at most Indy liquor stores too.

Stone is a good brewery too, out of California, but they ship a lot of their stuff nationwide now. They are very big on going crazy with hops. They have an IPA called Ruination that may be one of the hoppiest beers I've ever had. It has an IBU over 100. If you like hoppy IPAs this is a must have, but if you don't like them I would stay far away.

I liked both SN Pale Ale and SN IPA. I definitely liked the pale ale more though. Guessing I should pass on Stone.

Dgreenwell3
04-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Wild blue blueberry beer is not for the faint of heart lol

Trader Joe
04-18-2012, 03:18 PM
Stone has lots of other beers other than Ruination IPA. It's just a beer they are known for.

duke dynamite
04-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Wow, no mention of Upland? That's like my favorite place here in Bloomington to drink good, local craft beer.

Trader Joe
04-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Upland is OK, I just am so used to it,

Pig Nash
04-19-2012, 11:23 PM
Upland Wheat is pretty good.

Bball
04-20-2012, 01:45 AM
You know... I'm probably happiest with an ice cold Coors Light. Shock Top I like... Blue Moon... But give me a cold Coors Light and I'm fine.

jeffg-body
04-20-2012, 01:59 AM
I miss the fresh German beers that we'd get when I was stationed there. It was a great time. The food was wonderful , the beer was great and the girls were everywhere. If you are ever there stay away from the apple schnapps. I drank a pint of it and had a 4 day hangover. I didn't even remember how I got home or who the heck was in the bed with me. That was some scary ****.

ilive4sports
04-20-2012, 02:06 AM
I miss the fresh German beers that we'd get when I was stationed there. It was a great time. The food was wonderful , the beer was great and the girls were everywhere. If you are ever there stay away from the apple schnapps. I drank a pint of it and had a 4 day hangover. I didn't even remember how I got home or who the heck was in the bed with me. That was some scary ****.

scariest thing for me was probably when i was woken up on a sidewalk by two random people. I had no shoes on (I miss those shoes, they were dope) and was like a mile away from the party I was at. Oh and I left a message for my ex-gf, but I called the girl that was right above her in my contacts.... I have no idea what I said to this day.

It was a kick *** party though.

HC
04-20-2012, 09:09 AM
I spent a weekend on the Western Michigan campus with my buddy who is a student there. That Bells is some hardcore $%^&. I normally just drink Bud though, boring I know. Labatts is pretty good as well.

Knucklehead Warrior
04-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Everybody has a different idea of what's good. This is sort of like debating chili or pizza.

For me, it's German doppelbocks, schwartz bier, and dark wheats. Your basic "chewy" beers. Some examples: Paulaner Salvatore, Spaten Optimator, Weihenstephaner Korbinian, Köstrizer, Erlanger.

See you at the Rathskeller. :buddies:

BRushWithDeath
04-20-2012, 11:01 AM
I'm a big fan of Brugge Brasserie's Tripel de Ripple.

ilive4sports
04-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Oh and as someone who grew up in Pennsylvania, I have to mention the great Yuengling, America's oldest Brewery:

http://brainofjay.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/yuengling2.jpg

OlBlu
04-20-2012, 05:22 PM
What's good?

I've drank for years but only got into being a beer advocate the past year or two.

I think you have come to the right place. With some of the comments made here some members are clearly drinking a lot of beer or smoking something.....:cool:

And, since I know it will be coming I don't drink or smoke anything.... No bad habits other than standing my ground here when people go off of the deep end predicting championships for the Pacers this year and a .500 season for the Colts......:cool:

TheDavisBrothers
04-20-2012, 07:10 PM
I think you have come to the right place. With some of the comments made here some members are clearly drinking a lot of beer or smoking something.....:cool:

And, since I know it will be coming I don't drink or smoke anything.... No bad habits other than standing my ground here when people go off of the deep end predicting championships for the Pacers this year and a .500 season for the Colts......:cool:

I'm so glad that you don't drink or smoke! We wouldn't want anything to cloud your brilliance......:cool:

Major Cold
04-20-2012, 08:47 PM
http://www.beerbible.net/beerpics/qt9bWarsteiner.jpg

graphic-er
04-21-2012, 12:26 AM
I used to love Blue Moon and Shock top, but I've into too many bad batches. So i only get one once in a while. Plus I don't have oranges in the fridge on a regular basis. I love Dos Equis and Dos Equis Amber. Modelo is a great beer very smooth compared to a beer like corona.

Amstell Light is surprisingly good as well, its like a spicy beer to me.

travmil
04-21-2012, 09:59 AM

You're awesome! I wish I could meet you in person so I could simply bask in the warm glow of your brilliance...

Oh, and my favorite Sun King brew is the Wee Mac Scottish Ale.

Pig Nash
04-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Do like the Scottish Ale. Good pick Trav.

Doug
04-21-2012, 12:50 PM
New Belgium Trippel

That is just about the only New Belgium beer I don't like. I don't know why, I usually like that style. There was just something in it that turned me off. My favorite of theirs is probably 1554.

A multitude of IPAs (the hoppier the better

Ditto. IPA is pretty much my favorite style right now. Particularly during the winter. Love Octoberfest, too. Hacker-Pschorr Octoberfest might just be my favorite beer ever. During the fall Costco occasionally has cases of it for under $25.

As for "everyday" beers - beers that both my wife and I like and I can pretty much count on company liking, I tend toward Dos XX Amber, New Belgium Fat Tire, Leinenkugels Red, Smithwicks, maybe Newcastle, maybe Redhook ESB.

In the summer, I love Bell's Oberon and Goose Island 312.

In the winter, a nice, thick chewy stout, preferably on tap.

I generally drink a bunch of different beers over the course of the year. There are so many good, local breweries out there. It's a wonderful time to love good beer.

Oh, the Sun King stuff is really good. My wife loves their Cream Ale. I don't normally like Scottish ale, but I do like their Wee Mac.

Pig Nash
04-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Trippel is probably the most divisive one, my dad and I love it, everyone else I know that tries it goes eww.

Pingu
04-21-2012, 01:31 PM
San Diego county has a number of really good microbreweries. I particularly like the Stone and Green Flash ones.

Stone's Imperial Russian Stout is one of the best beers I've ever had. Their oaked Arrogant B.astard ale also is fantastic.

Green Flash's IPA is great, and this is coming from somebody who's not a fan of IPA's.

I'm also a sucker for sour Belgian beers, like the Cuvee des Jacobins rouge, or the Cantillon gueuze. They're hard to find, expensive, and most people find them disgusting, but I love them.

Yuengling was my go to beer when I lived in VA (can't find it in So Cal): The taste/price ratio is just fantastic.

I also like the Mexican beer Negra Modelo.

OlBlu
04-21-2012, 02:23 PM
I'm so glad that you don't drink or smoke! We wouldn't want anything to cloud your brilliance......:cool:

Ain't that the truth.......:cool:

ilive4sports
04-21-2012, 04:09 PM
San Diego county has a number of really good microbreweries. I particularly like the Stone and Green Flash ones.

Stone's Imperial Russian Stout is one of the best beers I've ever had. Their oaked Arrogant B.astard ale also is fantastic.

Green Flash's IPA is great, and this is coming from somebody who's not a fan of IPA's.

I'm also a sucker for sour Belgian beers, like the Cuvee des Jacobins rouge, or the Cantillon gueuze. They're hard to find, expensive, and most people find them disgusting, but I love them.

Yuengling was my go to beer when I lived in VA (can't find it in So Cal): The taste/price ratio is just fantastic.

I also like the Mexican beer Negra Modelo.

it really is. You could get a keg of Yuengling for about the same price as miller lite or something but Yuengling is so much better. I hope one day they expand their market to CA. They have been growing, but CA is far from PA.

jeffg-body
04-22-2012, 02:12 AM
I had some good beer that my brother-in-law made that was great. It was similar to Dunkel Heffe in Germany. He has been brewing his own and selling some of it locally with good results.