PDA

View Full Version : Adding natural gas to an electric home...

Anthem
04-17-2012, 12:25 AM
The wife and I are looking at buying a home several miles outside the city. It's a fixer-upper, but we'd be getting a great deal on it. The one thing we'd love to change, though, is kinda petty: we both hate cooking on an electric stove. There's no way to get a gas line out where we are, so what are our options? Can you get NG by the tank, or is that only propane? Can you cook with propane on a regular gas stove? Is it worth using gas for other stuff, like water heaters?

Anybody done this before?

Since86
04-17-2012, 10:11 AM
You can get tanks. I would imagine that they have them in different sizes, but my parents have a rather large one in their yard. (I know of several other people with them as well)

http://www.inspectapedia.com/plumbing/LP_Gas_Tank025-DFs.jpg

The gas company will just come out and fill the tank, and then you're free to use it as you wish.

Natural gas prices are dropping all around the country due to new fracking techniques. Should be a good time to make the switch if you do.

And yes, they are that ugly. Ours doesn't have the gas line hanging out there like that though.

Anthem
04-17-2012, 09:48 PM
You can get tanks. I would imagine that they have them in different sizes, but my parents have a rather large one in their yard. (I know of several other people with them as well)

http://www.inspectapedia.com/plumbing/LP_Gas_Tank025-DFs.jpg

The gas company will just come out and fill the tank, and then you're free to use it as you wish.

Natural gas prices are dropping all around the country due to new fracking techniques. Should be a good time to make the switch if you do.

And yes, they are that ugly. Ours doesn't have the gas line hanging out there like that though.
Is that liquid propane or natural gas?

Since86
04-18-2012, 09:20 AM
LP.

My mom was in a similiar situation a few years back. Hates cooking on an electric stove. Luckily for them, the natural gas tank was already there with lines running into the house so it was just a matter of running a line from the basement to the kitchen.

The only problem I know of that they've had is accidently cutting through the line that runs into the house when he was doing tiling work out through the yard.