PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow Is My First Day Back to Work

jeffg-body
04-07-2012, 12:54 AM
I was hired as a parts sales manager for the Autozone in Anderson on Mounds Road. It is only part-time right now but that leaves me with time for my business. Tomorrow I will be oficially working there in training at the Elwood store. I am very nervous, I have never worked in a retail environment. I have always either worked in social work or diesel mechanics. I was drawn to Autozone because it gets me connections with other people for my business, which is building engines for street rods for the most part. I liked that they have a pretty nice discount for employees. Wish me luck. Sounds like a nice place to work.

rexnom
04-07-2012, 01:41 AM
Good luck! You'll do great, I'm sure.

Peck
04-07-2012, 04:37 AM
Good luck man.

indygeezer
04-07-2012, 07:31 AM
You already know the industry now it's just learning how to run the "cash register" part of the job.

You're way ahead of most new hires.

Good luck man...you'll do great.

Steagles
04-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Good luck man!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

jeffg-body
04-07-2012, 11:51 PM
It was a pretty good day overall. I got to see how to do a lot of the stuff like looking things up on the computer and helping customers over the phone. It will be a little bit different when I go to my home store in Anderson. I didn't get to see what was all I needed to cover in the managerial aspect but I should get that this upcoming week because I close the store four days. Counting my training I will be doing 35 hours. A little bit more than what I expected but it still leaves me with time for my business. It was nice to be back with the workforce.

indygeezer
04-08-2012, 08:32 AM
It was a pretty good day overall. I got to see how to do a lot of the stuff like looking things up on the computer and helping customers over the phone. It will be a little bit different when I go to my home store in Anderson. I didn't get to see what was all I needed to cover in the managerial aspect but I should get that this upcoming week because I close the store four days. Counting my training I will be doing 35 hours. A little bit more than what I expected but it still leaves me with time for my business. It was nice to be back with the workforce.

Ka-ching!

jeffg-body
04-08-2012, 10:38 PM
My schedule worked out pretty good now that I will be getting my parts for my business tomorrow. I have Tues and Wed off so that would be the perfect time to get 2 engines built and up for sale. I am thinking around four solid hours to do both engines and an hour to post them on ebay and craig's list. Gotta be careful with craig's list, a lot of scammers trying to do the whole certified check scam on you. As soon as I see anything suspicious I just report them right away. I even had one guy send me fake e-mails from ebay saying that they were suspending my account. It's funny how they disappear when you report it.

SycamoreKen
04-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Sounds like things are working out well for you. Yes, Craig's list is crazy. We even had someone send us a certified check for a ton of money to by a used dishwasher for $100. Best of luck here on out!

Gyron
04-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Congrats on the new job!

cdash
04-09-2012, 04:06 PM
I was hired as a parts sales manager for the Autozone in Anderson on Mounds Road. It is only part-time right now but that leaves me with time for my business. Tomorrow I will be oficially working there in training at the Elwood store. I am very nervous, I have never worked in a retail environment. I have always either worked in social work or diesel mechanics. I was drawn to Autozone because it gets me connections with other people for my business, which is building engines for street rods for the most part. I liked that they have a pretty nice discount for employees. Wish me luck. Sounds like a nice place to work.

First off, congrats on the new job! Glad to see it is going well in the beginning. What kind of diesel engines have you worked with/around? I work for Cummins and am pretty well versed in the diesel industry.

jeffg-body
04-10-2012, 12:48 AM
Today was like total chaos. I figure Thursday will be much better. We only had two staffed people for this evening. I am pretty sore but I figure it will at least get me my exercise for weight loss. I used to work at Burlington Motor Carriers before they went under. I was the shop foreman for the service department. I worked mainly on Detroit 60's and a few Cummins engines. For extra cash two of us would team up and rebuild the Detroit 60's that a lot of the guys has coming to us. I was much younger then though. We figured that it took us 2 days after parts arrived and they let us use the bay and we both got around 1500$ for the work. I have a friend that I went to Lincoln Tech with who works at Celadon and he works with a lot of Cummins engines.

jeffg-body
04-10-2012, 11:28 PM
I must have done a pretty good job because they called and tried to get me to come in today to fill in for another manager. Unfortunately I had other plans. I think from now on I will have a change of my work attire in the truck just in case that happens again. If they call I will go ahead and do it, but that means my 2 engines will not get done until next week and that puts me in a bind because I wanted them done tomorrow and for sale on ebay and craig's list. It will be a long day either way. I would have been further ahead on my engines if I wouldn't have forgotten my piston ring pliers at home. On the good side I can put them on the pistons while watching some basketball with the Bulls and Knicks. I would much rather like to watch our P's whooping someone's arses than this but you have to take what is given. Tomorrow after I get done with my engine my friend will come over and we will watch the P's together with one or two adult beverages. I am not much of a drinker so one will probably get the job done.