PDA

View Full Version : Ditching Cable/Satellite?

ilive4sports
04-06-2012, 04:10 AM
So the price of TV has gotten to be kind of ridiculous. I have Directv, and I do love it. It is a great product and I really can't complain about the service. I find it far superior to Comcast which I had while at school. But as the promotions run out, the price has become too much. Its freaking TV! I grew up without cable and turned out fine (depending on who you ask at least).

So I've been doing my research on going back to the rabbit ears. I hadn't realized that getting OTA HD will actually be a higher quality than what you get with cable/satellite due to the compression. It makes sense, I just never thought about it and have been happy with the quality of my Directv. Most of the shows I do watch are on the major networks. And I'm not too far away from the towers so my signal should be pretty strong.

I also hadn't realized that Tivo works with an antenna. I wasn't sure I would be able to give up my DVR, but for $15 a month (which is the same as my DVR fee) and the price of the Tivo ($150ish) you get to have a DVR. And you can connect it to the internet for stuff like netflix, hulu plus, youtube and so on.

And with the rise of internet streaming, like hulu plus ($8 per month), I wonder if I really even need Tivo. It seems like it would be more of a convenience product than anything. I can get any show I want online usually within the next day. Also, espn3 makes things much better for watching sports I would miss out on. Also it works on Xbox Live (as does Hulu Plus) so no need to hook the computer up to the TV. I would love to see League Pass come to Xbox Live like mlb.tv has done.

So I think I'm just gonna upgrade my internet so I can stream HD with no hiccups and have a higher data cap (thats a whole other topic that makes my blood boil) and ditch the TV provider. It will save me about $1000 per year.

Has anyone here on PD done this? Anyone else thinking about it? I know for a lot of you it means no Pacers games due to black out restrictions which sucks. But I live no where near any of my favorite teams so I guess thats the one good thing about that.

Pig Nash
04-06-2012, 09:02 AM
I've thought about doing it but the Internet by itself is normally way more expensive than if you get a package deal. Would only save like 20/month in my situation.

Sparhawk
04-06-2012, 09:09 AM
I haven't. I've been looking for an excuse to ditch Comcast for awhile now. I mean, $150 for internet and tv? I don't even get HBO or any of those pay channels. I do have HD, but that's just $10 extra. Most channels are total crap and I only watch about 20 total.

It's just way too much. Ever so often, I will call to say I'm cancelling and they'll give me a deal...but only for the next 6 months. Then I have to do it all over again. Why should it have to take me to threaten cancellation to get a good rate? Just so stupid.

Netflix isn't the end all answer I thought it would be cause their streaming service isn't very good. Almost no new titles availables and they even remove titles from streaming instead of just adding. I don't want to do the DVD + Streaming. The max I could get is 3 DVDs a week, but it's more like 1 a week. Fark idiots that love getting DVDs.

Does anyone know of a good combo to get? Maybe Netflix, Hulu & Amazon (Prime I think)?

Sparhawk
04-06-2012, 09:11 AM
I've thought about doing it but the Internet by itself is normally way more expensive than if you get a package deal. Would only save like 20/month in my situation.

That's kinda what I thought. I think if you just do internet with Comcast, after your pomo price ends, it's like $80/mo by itself.

Sandman21
04-06-2012, 09:51 AM
That's kinda what I thought. I think if you just do internet with Comcast, after your pomo price ends, it's like $80/mo by itself.

Closer to $65 a month (at least if you own your own cable modem instead of renting).

I found it was actually cheaper for me to go to the Directv Choice Ultimate package and a Netflix subscription than for me to go with the Choice Plus package and a Starz sub (since you get the Encore half with Choice Ultimate anyway)

Hicks
04-06-2012, 10:08 AM
The stupid blackout rule on NBA league Pass has made this a much harder transition for me when I've considered doing it. I wish I could watch the Pacers games just by paying for league Pass broadband, but they blackout the Indiana market.

RWB
04-06-2012, 10:18 AM
You should be able to click on the link below and find out what stations you can reasonably expect to get if you go with an outdoor antenna.

I've done both cable and an outdoor antenna for years. Been watching OTA HD content since 2001. If you're able go for an outdoor antenna as it will give you the best chance of picking up the stations. You say you're close the towers so you might be able to pick up everything you want with something indoors.

My preference is anything by Channel Master since I've really had good luck with their products....

Bottom line.... yeah start with some cheap cheap rabbit ears and go from there if you're not getting the channels you should.

http://www.antennaweb.org/default.aspx

RWB
04-06-2012, 10:31 AM
I see everyone mentions Netflix or Hulu, but don't forget about Crackle. Yeah I know they have comercials but since it's free and not edited it's hard to complain. I love concerts so MoshCam is another great free site to check out too.

http://www.crackle.com/

And here's the link to Moshcam http://www.moshcam.com/

Bball
04-06-2012, 11:11 AM
I've got nothing to add but to say that I agree that both cable and satellite TV prices have ventured into the realm of ridiculous. I just wonder how long they can sustain those prices in this economy? And they are doing it with competition... Anyone basically can get Dish or Directv. And then there's regular cable providers available to large numbers of people... and things like ATT Uverse too. And then there's alternate viewing options like OTA, internet, and DVD's. I'd hate to see prices if there wasn't competition I guess....

Hicks
04-06-2012, 11:19 AM
I'm on fiber optic with MetroNet, and they sent me a letter weeks ago stating that their prices would also being going up.

The reason it happens across the board is the television companies keep upping THEIR prices TO the providers, and it pressures them to pass that onto customers to keep the ship afloat (or at least the profit margins afloat at a level they're comfortable with). It's happening to everyone.

I tend to blame the TV networks/companies for this. They keep raising their rates because at least up until this point, they know we'll mostly keep paying for it.

My hope is that Internet revenues climb enough (via sponsors) that more and more TV companies will just bypass Satellite/Cable/Fiberoptic and just provide it straight through the Internet.

The side effect will probably be the cost of our broadband Internet going up, but the hope is it's still cheaper to pay just for your ISP and at least your 'TV' content will be a la carte once it's online. I'm thinking a live, streaming, HD-quality feed of a channel (like NBC, or Comedy Central, or CNN or whatever else) that you pay to be able to view on a monthly basis. Plus on-demand archives of shows like we somewhat already have now.

The trick is making the money work for everybody. Cheap enough that viewers aren't paying more than they already are for TV providers, profitable enough for the companies.

Steagles
04-06-2012, 12:55 PM
I love directv. A bit pricey, yes.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Pacers13Colts12
04-06-2012, 01:05 PM
I've looked into it. With sports it makes it nearly impossible. Until the day it is opened up more on the internet, there is no way I can do it right now. I would love to, but just way too much of a hassle.

I'm waiting for the day Google TV or Apple TV really take it serious and add more channels.

indygeezer
04-06-2012, 01:22 PM
I'm payin for FOUR tv's with 1 dvr. Also telephone and fax lines along with unlimitied US longdistance (why? I have a cellphone) and VOI (never used). The only reason I keep Uverse is ...I dunno why. Big Ten Network I guess, although I rarely watch it. THe little tv I DO watch I could get off of the local channels....so why DO I continue???

Perhaps after the elections.

vapacersfan
04-06-2012, 01:25 PM
We canceled our cable 3 months ago.

I hate missing some of my TV shows, but short of sports I have found it cheaper to purchase shows a la carte.

Of course, my fiance argues she likes just being able to flip the tv on randomly at times, but we do have netflix to help with that if she just wants to sit and watch the tube for a couple of minutes

ilive4sports
04-06-2012, 04:04 PM
I'm on fiber optic with MetroNet, and they sent me a letter weeks ago stating that their prices would also being going up.

The reason it happens across the board is the television companies keep upping THEIR prices TO the providers, and it pressures them to pass that onto customers to keep the ship afloat (or at least the profit margins afloat at a level they're comfortable with). It's happening to everyone.

I tend to blame the TV networks/companies for this. They keep raising their rates because at least up until this point, they know we'll mostly keep paying for it.

My hope is that Internet revenues climb enough (via sponsors) that more and more TV companies will just bypass Satellite/Cable/Fiberoptic and just provide it straight through the Internet.

The side effect will probably be the cost of our broadband Internet going up, but the hope is it's still cheaper to pay just for your ISP and at least your 'TV' content will be a la carte once it's online. I'm thinking a live, streaming, HD-quality feed of a channel (like NBC, or Comedy Central, or CNN or whatever else) that you pay to be able to view on a monthly basis. Plus on-demand archives of shows like we somewhat already have now.

The trick is making the money work for everybody. Cheap enough that viewers aren't paying more than they already are for TV providers, profitable enough for the companies.

This is what I hope for and imagine happening sooner than later. ESPN is already doing it. You just have to have Timer Warner/Verizon/Brighthouse to get full access to watchespn.com

The biggest thing about money is that ads on internet streams is just not comparable to TV right now.

Sports are the biggest drawback to this plan, as I would miss out on TNT/NBAtv games. ESPN puts theirs on espn3 so you can watch them. League Pass is also pretty reasonable for a broadband pass. I thought I would miss the big ten network too, but the only time i watch it is for PSU games, pretty much only football games too, and the majority are on ESPN3. And with the ways of the internet I can find any sporting event I want, its just gonna be lower quality.

Hicks
04-06-2012, 04:17 PM
I love directv. A bit pricey, yes.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

And for the record, I'm very happy with MetroNet right now, but it dismays me that prices keep going up by all companies.

Hicks
04-06-2012, 04:24 PM
We canceled our cable 3 months ago.

I hate missing some of my TV shows, but short of sports I have found it cheaper to purchase shows a la carte.

Of course, my fiance argues she likes just being able to flip the tv on randomly at times, but we do have netflix to help with that if she just wants to sit and watch the tube for a couple of minutes

Yeah, that live element is a key thing that still makes TV special. Channel surfing is its own phenomenon, and more importantly people like to watch live events as they happen rather than on a delay (sports, some reality television shows) and be able to Tweet/Text/Whatever one another as they react to live happenings.

If live streams ever become the norm for TV networks online, that could really shift things in the 'Net's favor. On demand is great, but it can't capture the above.

PaceBalls
04-07-2012, 02:57 PM
The ONLY reason I have cable TV is because the Pacers are only on Fox Sports. I have 0 interest in anything else on there. Almost everything else can be found on the internet. I have looked all over to find another way to watch the Pacers. I even tried doing a proxy with League Pass, but that didn't work so well.

Someone really needs to talk to the Pacers and get them to push for an Pacers only online season package. They could call it an online season ticket package or something. The blackout rules are hurting a potential income source.

I would love to go the games, but it's a long drive and not very realistic with me having a early morning day job during the week.