PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best steak in Indy?

LetsTalkPacers
04-03-2012, 06:44 PM
My wife and I are going to stay overnight on Friday and wanted to go out for a nice steak on Saturday before the game. Whats the best steak in Indy PERIOD? Ive heard Mortons, Ruth, and Elmos. Someone also told me about a place that has crazy good aged steaks.

Also anyone ever been to the Tapas bar in downtown?

LetsTalkPacers
04-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Can a mod move this to the Market square forum. My mistake.

90'sNBARocked
04-03-2012, 06:45 PM
St Elmos Downtown
Ruth Criss

Sullivan Steakhouse around 96th

DEEman
04-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Steak it or leave it letstalkpacers.. This is not a nice missteak.. Now om hungry again..

PacerPenguins
04-03-2012, 06:53 PM
my mouth is watering..... they are all good places...personally i like ruth chriss better

QuickRelease
04-03-2012, 07:08 PM
If you're looking only at downtown Indy, I think St Elmo's. If you're willing to drive, I love Eddie Merlot's up by 96th and Keystone.

xBulletproof
04-03-2012, 07:25 PM
My vote goes to Ruth Chris.

vnzla81
04-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Fogo de chao and all you can eat steak.

ninercolt
04-03-2012, 08:12 PM
The best filet in town is at Shula's. Except for that, Ruths Chris is hands down the best in everything else. Elmo's is overrated.

04-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Now I really want a steak, thanks.

Steagles
04-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Am I the only one here who doesn't like steak?

TheDavisBrothers
04-03-2012, 08:23 PM

Yes...

Steagles
04-03-2012, 08:25 PM
Yes...

I figured :rolleyes:

ptaylor2112
04-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Barcelona Tapas is really nice. You and your wife could probably share 6 or 8 small plates and be very satisfied. Decent drinks, too.

Also anyone ever been to the Tapas bar in downtown?

Anthem
04-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Haven't had Elmo's, but R.C. is fantastic.

Sollozzo
04-03-2012, 08:46 PM
I can echo that Barcelona Tapas is delicious. The only elite Indy steakhouse I've tried is St. Elmo and I was very satisfied with the NY Strip I had there. I haven't been to the Indy Ruth's Chris but I've been to the one in Louisville and thought it was about equal to St. Elmo's. I've had Morton's in Louisville before too and there is one of those in Downtown Indy.

Bball
04-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Has anyone ever had the steak soup at Shula's for a quick meal? I guess they still have it... That was some great soup. IMHO...

Smits Happens
04-03-2012, 09:19 PM

From now on your username is Steakles. Or maybe Steakless is more appropriate.

ErikD.
04-03-2012, 09:21 PM
The tapas place is good, but if youre already thinking steaks, I think you would walk away from there disappointed. Foga de chao(sp?) is where you need to go if you've never been to a place like that before. Leandro would be proud.

Banta
04-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Morton's is the clear choice here. St. Elmos, Shula's, RC can all give you a very good steak.

Morton's, however, will give you the very best steak and they take service up about 10 levels higher than the others. Steak, service and atmosphere make Morton's the only choice.

Damn, now my mouth is watering for some onion loaf.

BlueNGold
04-03-2012, 10:13 PM
IMO...Schula > Ruth Chris >> St. Elmo

I have never been to Morton's.

QuickRelease
04-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Fogo de chao and all you can eat steak.

Have never been here. Is it worth it?

beast23
04-03-2012, 10:17 PM
I you want smaller pieces of excellently prepared meat, but as much as you want to eat, presented to you at your table anytime you call for it, then Fogo de Chao is your place. With an excellent salad bar and a couple of beers, about $60-$70 per person But, you might find yourself overeating and waddling to the game.

If it's a slab of meat you are looking for, RCs, Mortons, Shulas and St Elmo's/Harry&Izzys is a about as god as it gets downtown.

If it's consistency you want, RCs is probably the best. Shulas is fantastic when it's good, but that is about a 60-40 proposition from my experience. A lot of my friends are fans of Mortons, but my personal preference has always been one of the others.

I prefer St Elmo's or Harry and Izzy's. They are locally owned, therefore not a chain like all the others. Excellent steaks, and like RCs, served sizzling to you table. And unlike all the others, they serve shrimp cocktails with the legendary, world-famous sauce.
And if you want to act like a person in the know, ask for the double when you order the shrimp cocktail.

vnzla81
04-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Have never been here. Is it worth it?

Hell yeah!!! They have like 20 different cuts of steak, every single piece tastes great, as an steak lover I think Fogo is the best, plus you can eat as much as you want ;)

travmil
04-03-2012, 10:22 PM
I second Fogo de Chao. It's better than all of them. Just thinking of the leg of lamb makes my mouth water. I believe it's also the closest to BLF.

natjjohn
04-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Another vote for Fogo. Food's great and all you can eat. Large variety on the meats and top tier salad bar to boot. Also the side dishes are good too. Can't go wrong here. If never been to a Brazillian steakhouse, it's a must go.

ninercolt
04-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Fogo is phenomenal. Its just too much food. The salad bar alone, if you want to call it that ( its a cornucopia of veggie dishes, etc ) is enough to send you out staggering. The trick is to eat lightly at the salad bar. Then sit back and have round after round of meat brought to you by servers, from which you can choose at will. Don't want that particular cut of meat? Waive it off. Another guy will be by within 30 seconds.

Again, though, prepare for the amount of food that will be consumed. You will have to be wheeled out.

Hibbert
04-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Not exactly downtown but my favorite by far has always been Sullivan's Steakhouse at Keystone at the Crossing. Just awesome.

PacerPenguins
04-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Fogo is phenomenal. Its just too much food. The salad bar alone, if you want to call it that ( its a cornucopia of veggie dishes, etc ) is enough to send you out staggering. The trick is to eat lightly at the salad bar. Then sit back and have round after round of meat brought to you by servers, from which you can choose at will. Don't want that particular cut of meat? Waive it off. Another guy will be by within 30 seconds.

Again, though, prepare for the amount of food that will be consumed. You will have to be wheeled out.

no the trick is not to eat the salad or the bread.... hell for 50 bucks I'm not getting full on vegetable.... give me the lamb and the bacon wrapped filet!

Hoop
04-03-2012, 10:51 PM
Mo's Steak House, has a pretty good fillet.

RamBo_Lamar
04-04-2012, 03:42 AM
Surprised I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but would have to say Bynum's is right up
there with some of the best.

Peck
04-04-2012, 04:01 AM
Was just at Fogo Sunday night. The Chicke wrapped bacon and parmasean pork are two of my favorites there, but they also serve a mean fillet as well.

But if I'm going out with the entire intent of just eating steak then it's Ruth's Chris.

I have never EVER EVER had a bad steak there and easily it's one of the best I've ever had anywhere.

I'll join in with those saying that I am not enamored with St. Elmo's. I know it's sacralidge in Indy but I can honestly say I have never walked out of there satisfied with my food.

The one place I've never been is Moe's. How is the food there?

Trader Joe
04-04-2012, 08:10 AM
Mo's is great for drinks, and they have great service, but I honestly think the steak is average, but then again I'm one of those people who is very snobby about my steaks and I believe that I cook a better steak than any of the main stream steak houses in Indy.

IMO, if you've never been to Elmo's and you're from Indy and you want a steak and some apps, then Elmo's is the place. Get the shrimp cocktail.

travmil
04-04-2012, 08:23 AM
I agree with TJ that if you're staying in Indy and looking for something you can't get anywhere else, St. Elmo's all the way.

Fogo still provides the best bang for the buck. Great steaks, and unreal salad bar, coupled with a great experience. It's tough to beat for what you spend.

graphic-er
04-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Fogo is my recommendation just because I've never left there feeling like I didn't get my money's worth.

I've been to Mo's, Sullivan's with in the last year and both places I left feeling very underwhelmed about the whole experience. A side of Asparagus with cream sauce should not cost $9, and if you order a twice baked potato, you should get the full potato, not half the potato. Nor should a regular baked potato at a fine dinning establishment be smaller than your fist. I expect that at applebees, but not at a steakhouse.

But Fogo.....WOW!

Unclebuck
04-04-2012, 10:42 AM
I don't think St. Elmos steaks are all that good. Mortons, Shulas, Sullivans, Flemings, Ruth Chris are all better.

I actually don't love steak. I would much rather have Sea Bass which most of the steak houses have and it is excellent.

I will say last week I had a New York Strip steak at Ditka's in Chicago and it was probbaly the best steak I've ever had.

All you can eat doesn't impress me. Are Fogo's steaks as good as the others as far as quality? Never been there so I don't know.

One thing I never do is get a steal at Applebees, Outback or that type of place. Only do I ever get a steak at topnotch restaurants.

But give me Siam Square, Oakleys or R Bistro over any of the steak houses

Ownagedood
04-04-2012, 11:10 AM
St. Elmos cuz they go to the Pacer games. :)

graphic-er
04-04-2012, 11:21 AM
All you can eat doesn't impress me. Are Fogo's steaks as good as the others as far as quality? Never been there so I don't know.
houses

They are probably not as good of a cut as the shear volume of meat they are cooking would make it improbable, but they cook them differently than a standard strip or ribeye. They impale them on a large skewer and cook them over an open flame. So you get a lot of different textures on the meat. From nicely charred sections to very tender. They carve out nice entire cross sections of the meat right from the skewer at your table. I wouldn't say that i have experienced anything less than a stellar meal from Fogo. The idea of getting a few slices of a bunch of different cuts of beef, and lamb chops, chicken, sausages. I wish they offered shrimp though, like giant tiger prawns or something.

Sparhawk
04-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Texas Roadhouse.

I love their rolls and cinnamon butter they bring out. So damn good.

travmil
04-04-2012, 12:01 PM
The meat Texas Roadhouse serves should be ground into hamburger. It's that bad.

Trader Joe
04-04-2012, 12:08 PM
I guess I'm in the minority on Fogo. I thought the food was generally pretty crappy. You can get a lot, but the beef cuts particularly were very sub par IMO. I did enjoy their pork and chicken cuts though, at least much more than the beef.

Banta
04-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Surprised I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but would have to say Bynum's is right up
there with some of the best.

If you enjoy eating a skunk's @ss.

Not even in the same category.

Sparhawk
04-04-2012, 03:13 PM
The meat Texas Roadhouse serves should be ground into hamburger. It's that bad.

I just hate over paying for steak. I'd rather just buy steaks and cook them on the grill myself.

I don't think Texas Roadhouse steaks are that bad. I'm not much of a steak snob though. I'll eat just about any steak as long as it's not over cooked. I like mine medium rare.

indygeezer
04-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Has it fallen on hard times or is it just not a "known" or trendy place now because St. Moritz used to have steaks every bit as good as St Elmo's...and I'll put St.E's up against anybody's.

LetsTalkPacers
04-04-2012, 03:46 PM
So I have decided on St. Elmos. I was on the fence between them and Ruth Chris. Honestly I found out the owners are Pacer season ticketholders, and even have a Pacers special if you have your ticket. I wont be getting that, but they support my Pacers so Ill return the favor.

So Ill be honest Im not a steak expert. Mostly Roadhouse, and outback. So whats the best cut of steak I should get at Elmos?

Unclebuck
04-04-2012, 04:13 PM
So I have decided on St. Elmos. I was on the fence between them and Ruth Chris. Honestly I found out the owners are Pacer season ticketholders, and even have a Pacers special if you have your ticket. I wont be getting that, but they support my Pacers so Ill return the favor.

So Ill be honest Im not a steak expert. Mostly Roadhouse, and outback. So whats the best cut of steak I should get at Elmos?

What is more important to you. Flavor? or tenderness?

If tenderness is what you want -Filet Mignon is the way to go. This will also be the healthiest

If you like a lot of flavor and don't mind some fat - Ribeye is the way to go.

I typically like New York Strip the best at most places. Sort of a cross between Filet and ribeye.

joeyd
04-04-2012, 04:43 PM

Reconsider Fogo! Those gauchos that serve the meat also cook it, in fact, they cook only the cuts of meat they serve usually, and have to be specially trained in preparing that cut. They are meat experts! Like Penguins, I don't mess with the salad bar, etc. I go there for a meat overdose!

Trader Joe
04-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Don't reconsider Fogo.

LetsTalkPacers
04-04-2012, 05:52 PM
I live in Anderson. So i know at some point Ill try out Fogos. Ive always meant to go there and never have. i have to be able to stand in area55 so i cant od on steak.

LetsTalkPacers
04-04-2012, 05:53 PM
What is more important to you. Flavor? or tenderness?

If tenderness is what you want -Filet Mignon is the way to go. This will also be the healthiest

If you like a lot of flavor and don't mind some fat - Ribeye is the way to go.

I typically like New York Strip the best at most places. Sort of a cross between Filet and ribeye.
i was thinking ny strip or porterhouse

Sparhawk
04-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Ribeye baby!

indygeezer
04-05-2012, 07:39 AM
How about an address for FOgo for those uninitiated.

graphic-er
04-05-2012, 09:54 AM
How about an address for FOgo for those uninitiated.

http://www.fogodechao.com/index.php?id=160

117 E. Washington St., Indianapolis, IN 46204

Go during lunch because its the same exact service as dinner but about $8 cheaper.

travmil
04-05-2012, 10:13 AM
http://www.fogodechao.com/index.php?id=160

117 E. Washington St., Indianapolis, IN 46204

Go during lunch because its the same exact service as dinner but about $8 cheaper.

No, it's WAY more than $8 cheaper. I think it's $46.50 per person for dinner, and $26.50 per person at lunch.

I looked at the site and I think the prices you saw are for Easter Sunday only. Any other day the prices are like I said.

idioteque
04-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Fogo is great, but there are so many chain restaurants in Indy, it is nice to go to St. Elmo just for a change. Nothing wrong with chains but something other than a chain is nice every once in awhile.

indygeezer
04-05-2012, 08:37 PM
I personally am a HUGE fan of St. Elmo's. I usually wait until the wife takes a school group to Europe and then I can justify the expense for myself. Last time I took the kids with me. Geezerette was sick to her stomach becasue of the prices (she is her mother you know) but Geezer Jr. chowed down on Shrimp Cocktail.

Oh, and is there any doubt.....more rare than medium rare.

04-05-2012, 10:34 PM
The steak that's in my stomach.

There isn't a steak in my stomach but it would be the best if it was.

Hoop
04-09-2012, 02:03 AM
Maybe I'm not as picky as some of you guys, but a Filet from Outback is just as good as most expensive places to me.

LetsTalkPacers
04-09-2012, 05:05 PM
So that was really, really good. My wife and I both ordered a 14 oz bone-in filet, with red mashed potatoes. We also shared a shrimp cocktail. I had a gin and tonic and she had some fancy *** wine. Kielbeze and his wife both had the 14oz ribeye with red mashed potatoes. Kyle also had a shrimp cocktail, but refused to share with his wife. lol. He had 312 ale/lager?

All and all one of the top 3 meals I ever had. Honestly the most impressive part to me was our server. He was hands down the best server I have ever encountered. He talked like the all-state guy.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions. I think next time I will try out fogo.

Also Barcelona's tapas was great.

indygeezer
04-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Maybe I'm not as picky as some of you guys, but a Filet from Outback is just as good as most expensive places to me.

The wife and I frequently get the small strip special ($10) to go. Being a teacher she's too worn out for cooking OR going out....so carry in. Oh annd you guys with your 14 oz steaks....I HATE YOU.....I'm supposed to be on a regulated diet and meat is limited to a portion the size of the palm of your hand. For measurement she insists on using her palm and not my meathooks.

cdash
04-09-2012, 08:16 PM
I live in Anderson. So i know at some point Ill try out Fogos. Ive always meant to go there and never have. i have to be able to stand in area55 so i cant od on steak.

Yeah, I recommend going to Fogo during Devour Downtown. It's a little cheaper then. Also, don't plan on doing a damn thing afterward. If you are anything like 98% of the other males in the world, you will find Fogo to be something of an eating competition against yourself. You will eat yourself into a meat coma and will be good for nothing afterward. I love Fogo, but I can only do it every six months or so.

If I am just going for steak, I always, always get filet. Ruth Chris is my choice for a filet. High quality stuff, never had a bad steak there. I echo what Peck and others have said--St. Elmo's is overrated.

xBulletproof
04-09-2012, 10:15 PM

Your taste buds are broken. :laugh: