PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone dislike Lamey as much as I do?

stipo
11-17-2004, 03:27 PM
Thanks to the title of my thread, you may be asking yourself, "Self, just how much does Stipo dislike Bob Lamey?" Well, I've got to say quite a bit.

The constant whining and moaning really has gotten to me over the years. And if the Colts are up by twenty points with 5 minutes left, Bob:shudder: feels like he has to constantly remind everybody that the Colts have lost bigger leads than this so now's not the time to stop worrying.

Comments?

MSA2CF
11-17-2004, 08:08 PM
Comments?

Who's Bob Lamey?

:neutral:

;)

obnoxiousmodesty
11-17-2004, 08:40 PM
Personally, I could take him or leave him.

JBones19
11-17-2004, 11:51 PM
Hey,
I for one like Lamey- he has a nice passionate homerism about him that isn't necessarily professional but it makes the games more emotional to just listen to on the radio. I thought he was going to cry after Aaron Bailey dropped the hail mary pass from Harbaugh in the 95 AFC championship game. And I'll never forget, during one of our 3-13 seasons in the 90s, I was driving home from another disappointing loss to the Bills at home and it was POURING snow outside- Lamey was doing a postgame show in this feeble little WIBC yellow tent outside the dome all by himself, it brought a tear to my eye, then I realized he looked like santa.

ABADays
11-18-2004, 08:18 AM
I like Bob. I don't think he's any more "homer" than Slick and I love Slick.

stipo
11-18-2004, 08:39 AM
I like Bob. I don't think he's any more "homer" than Slick and I love Slick.

I like Slick too, and he's as much of a homer as anyone I've heard. Somehow, I find him endearing though. Plus, he's not doing play-by-play, and even his color commentary gets sparse when the Pacers aren't playing well.

On the other hand, we've gotta hear Bobs' irritated:pissed: and depressed:suicide: voice through every description of every play.

I do feel sorry for the guy though. At times, he DOES sound if he's going to cry.

ChicagoJ
11-19-2004, 01:50 PM
Slick *is* the Pacers... he's allowed to be a "homer" but his actual game analysis is usually very balanced.

Lamey is just a professional announcer. A hired mouth. I don't know what his excuse is. He didn't coach any team to championships, then run a telethon to sell enough season tickets to save the franchise.

I know I'm not the only one on here that also remembers how bad Lamey was when he was the voice of the Pacers. He would b!+ch and moan every night that poor "Jimmy" Edwards was in foul trouble. Maybe, Bob, it wasn't always the officials' fault that James Edwards always picked up three fouls in the frist six minutes of the game. :rolleyes:

That was the best thing about the Colts moving to Indy (for a Steelers fan, anyway :devil: ) - getting Lamey away from the Pacers.

RWB
11-19-2004, 02:28 PM
I like Lamey. I know he's suppose to be a professional but when the Colts lose it does seem like he takes it personally. Kind of like alot of Pacer fans. ;)

stipo
11-19-2004, 04:59 PM
Time: 3 hours after a Colts' loss.
Place: RCA Dome pressbox.

The tears have dried, but the eyes are still puffy and red. Bob Lamey sits in the corner of the darkened room where, just hours before, he had called the game for the Indianapolis Colts' broadcast.

Grandpa Ted and Mark, after again trying to console the unconsolable, have long since made their way down to the Red Garter, while Bob quietly sobbed and cried out in the pain of a heartbreaking loss.

He stares at an 8x10 autographed photo of Peyton that has gotten him through tough times of late. "I'm just glad you're my buddy Peyton! We'll always have each other won't we! (and then, responding to an imagined voice) "Your'e right Peyton, lets get a bite to eat. Where do you wanna go?...Oh, but we went there last time.....O.K., you win, the smorgasboard it is!"

With that, the disheveled figure of a man, and his imaginary friend, go out in to the night.

diego
11-23-2004, 02:18 PM
I like Lamey...but i am way over Marchibroda...the guy is so old he cant even speak anymore. Get em off the radio.

Unclebuck
11-29-2004, 10:07 PM
I grew up listening to Bob Lamey do the Pacer games. Whe I was in 1st, 2nd, 3rd graxe I would listen to him every night do Pacers basketball. Back then very few games were on TV plus I was supposed to be asleep. As the games did not start until 8:00 PM on weeknights.

With that little background, I think Bob Lamey is a horrible football announcer. He gets so excited and at other times he gets so disgusted that it is difficult to know what is going on in the game.

Mark Boyle is great because he is objective, sure he gets excited, but when Mark says there was a bad refs call I believe him 100%. When Lamey says there is a bad call I don't believe him at all.

The Colts three man radio broadcast is so bad it is a joke, they are shockingly bad. Next comment from Mark Herman that is not obvious, will be his first, and Ted just is not very articulate.

For a two year period, I think Joe McConnell did the Colts games and he was very good.

ChicagoJ
11-29-2004, 10:45 PM
Joe McConnell was excellent when he did the Colts games the first time they were on Q-95.

I know UB knows this, but does anybody else know Joe McConnell's job prior to working for the Colts? There's another Indianapolis sportscasting legend involved here, and I don't mean Kevin Callabro (though I thought he and Craig Ehlo were really good last night.)

3Ball
11-30-2004, 12:46 AM
God love homers. There's nothing more boring and white bread than these nationally syndicated games where every play that's exciting for one team is bad for another. I much prefer listening to announcers that are interested in what I'm interested in. I'd even rather listen to homers on the other side than balanced, boring commentators. I absolutely LOVE Mark and Slick.

ChicagoJ
11-30-2004, 09:30 AM
I was born in 1983. I'll let you decide whether or not I can help you.
I'll give you a hint, Joe was the play-by-play voice of the NBA Radio Network (before Brent Musberger.) The 'studio host' was a famous former Indianapolis sportscaster who, as I recall was well-known but not necessarily well-liked, but he got a promotion anyway to go to Chicago.

Unclebuck
11-30-2004, 11:36 AM
Jay, are you talking about Chet Copick. I remember him from his Channel 8 days.

I did love his radio show on AM 1000 out of Chicago during the 90's. He had the best guests in the business. It was a great, great show. I bought a special antenna just to listen to his show back then. He asked good questions, but they were so long.

Graywolf_59
11-30-2004, 01:05 PM
I enjoy Bob Lamey........He call's the game pretty good.....He call's it as he see's it.I heard him agree with alot of call's.....both Pro/Con against and for the Colt's!The same thing with Slick Leonard!

Mushmouth
11-30-2004, 03:08 PM
I like Lamey- he's solid in his play-by-play, and homer-ism never bothered me on home team networks.
However, Marchibroda and the other Doofus are unbearable as color-men. Can't they get someone with a better voice at least?

ChicagoJ
11-30-2004, 03:14 PM
Jay, are you talking about Chet Copick. I remember him from his Channel 8 days.

I did love his radio show on AM 1000 out of Chicago during the 90's. He had the best guests in the business. It was a great, great show. I bought a special antenna just to listen to his show back then. He asked good questions, but they were so long.
Yep.

Because of his ability to give a first-class interview, he was great on the NBA-radio broadcasts.

Natston
11-30-2004, 05:19 PM
I like just about any broadcaster or announcer (past major flaws and homerism) since I had to put up with Mark Patrick during Colt preseason games before... :suicide:

Reggie4Three
12-01-2004, 11:22 AM
I think Lamey and Boyle are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

I hate listening to Lamey. He makes me sick and I am a Colts fan. I was unaware that he was ever the voice of the Pacers and I'm glad I missed that.

Mark Boyle is awesome. He will tell it to you like it is. I can't imagine a better play-by-play voice than Boyle.

stipo
12-01-2004, 06:51 PM
I think Lamey and Boyle are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

I hate listening to Lamey. He makes me sick and I am a Colts fan. I was unaware that he was ever the voice of the Pacers and I'm glad I missed that.

Mark Boyle is awesome. He will tell it to you like it is. I can't imagine a better play-by-play voice than Boyle.

EXACTLY!!!

This town has no idea how lucky it is to a radio guy like Mark Boyle. Remember Mike Inglis? Anyone?....Anyone?.... He was the play by play guy that Clark Kellogg broke in with on the radio broadcasts. Just TERRIBLE! (and I believe he is doing HEAT games now!)

btw, I think Kevin Lee does a very good job also on pre-game and post-game. He manages to be courteous to every doofus (sorry guys) with an obvious or stupid observation who calls in, but hurries them off the air also.

But, back to Lamey (I find his name so ironic), he's like some dweeb that the jocks took in as a mascot because he loves 'em so much and would do anything for them. When he's emotional (85% of the time?) I just find him pathetic. Does that make me a bad person? ;)

ChicagoJ
12-01-2004, 07:03 PM
I remember Mike Ingliss, and the last I heard he was working for the Heat.

In the period between Lamey and Boyle, we also had Greg Papa, who worked for the GS Warriors for about a decade but I've lost track of where he is now. I thought Greg Papa was good, but not Mark-Boyle-good.

And there was one other guy... we had a similar discussion early last season and UB reminded me of who the other guy between Lamey and Boyle was... but I've forgotten again.

I think the season Mike Ingliss was on the radio was also the season Eddie Douchette and Dick Vitale were the television crew. No wonder so few of us that have been lifelong fans really remember much about the early 80s. There were 3,500 people at MSA, and with those announcers, NO ONE was watching or listening at home, either. :rolleyes:

I refuse to discuss Btown's shoe fetish.

stipo
12-02-2004, 10:01 AM
^^^^^^

Eddie Doucette and Dick Vitale...AAAARGGhh!

Well, reading some of the positive posts on this thread about Lamoe has confirmed my worst fears. He has been doing his thing for so long that he seems to have become THE voice of the Colts for many. I can't remember the word for when a guy has been around so long that people love him despite all of his shortcomings and faults (my wife would say "husband"), but that seems to be part of his charm. Kinda like how a drunk sounding Harry Carey was so popular. Harry was much better at his job though. It's probably too late to get rid of Bob (although the Pacers dumped Jerry Baker and lived to tell about it.)

I haven't heard any positive comments about Grandpa and Mark, so it's a mystery why they are still working. Wouldn't Charles Arbuckle be an improvement? Oh well, at least the Colts are usually on TV.

stipo
12-02-2004, 10:25 AM
Meh, I don't think he's any good. I just feel bad for him having to announce somes of the most horrific teams in NFL history. As for the word you're looking for, I believe it's "Slick Leonard".

I don't understand how the entire crew still has their jobs. Must have some nude photos of Irsay overdosing on pain pills.

You're a very funny guy btown, but I worry that you're using all your brain cells on your posts, and not have any left for school! Now get to class! ;)

ChicagoJ
12-02-2004, 01:18 PM
I went to class in the wrong era. All I could do was, well nevermind, the dean of student's son is on probably lurking about again. Not sure if all the statutes of limitations have expired yet...

Unclebuck
12-02-2004, 07:18 PM
Jay, we are the same age so I can say this, your memory is not what it used to be.

There were 5 radio play-by-play guys between Lamey and Boyle. I can't name them all.

Lamey
Greg Lucas - was pretty good
Ted Davis was signed sealed, delivered and announced, and then left for the Mav during training camp. But for the life of me I cannot remember who they hired.
Greg Pappa
Mike Inglis - he was the worst of all.
Mark Boyle.

No I know there was another guy in there too. The reason why I remember this is because once they hired Boyle I wrote the Pacers a letter begging them to please stick with Boyle. So there are two guys I cannot remember.

Mike Inglis who is with the heat, was unlistenable back with the pacers, he was beyond bad. That was Clark Kelloggs first job that year, as his color man on radio