PDA

View Full Version : Do the Pacers have one of the better fan message boards in the league?

ASkin_ANight
03-24-2012, 07:06 PM
I'm looking at OKC's forum right now and it doesn't much compare to this one...

Cheers for making such an awesome forum, makers of this forum.

:cheers:

Tom White
03-24-2012, 07:14 PM
You are correct! Your wording may be a bit off though. The title of this thread sounds as though you might think the Pacers operate this board. I don't care who the Pacers would have working for them, they would never do the job the creators, admins, host, and mods of this forum always do.

joew8302
03-24-2012, 07:15 PM
I don't know how other teams message boards are. Spurstalk.com is pretty cool.

ASkin_ANight
03-24-2012, 07:21 PM
You are correct! Your wording may be a bit off though. The title of this thread sounds as though you might think the Pacers operate this board. I don't care who the Pacers would have working for them, they would never do the job the creators, admins, host, and mods of this forum always do.

No dude, I know this site is completely fan created and operated. I meant it as in, "Does our team have one of the better fan message boards in the league?" The Pacers might not run it, but I'd still call it a Pacers message board.

Pacersalltheway10
03-24-2012, 07:32 PM
I'd give Pacers Digest a B or B+

Anthem
03-24-2012, 07:44 PM
The Pacers don't. Hicks does.

Look at the RealGM or Indystar boards. There's nothing about becoming a Pacers fan that automagically makes you a reasonable person and good at discussing sports.

Hicks, able, and the mods have done a fantastic job over the past decade of keeping the conversation civil and the discussions on point. Curating an online community is hard work and doesn't happen by accident.

TheDavisBrothers
03-24-2012, 08:07 PM

The Pacers don't. Hicks does.

Look at the RealGM or Indystar boards. There's nothing about becoming a Pacers fan that automagically makes you a reasonable person and good at discussing sports.

Hicks, able, and the mods have done a fantastic job over the past decade of keeping the conversation civil and the discussions on point. Curating an online community is hard work and doesn't happen by accident.

I think you guys are reading to much into the wording here, give the guy a break :)

Justin Tyme
03-24-2012, 08:46 PM
No, it's not one of the better boards.

IT'S ABSOLUTELY THE BEST FAN MESSAGE BOARD!!!!!

Thanks to all who make it such!

Roaming Gnome
03-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Thank You!!! It's an honor to be able to help out on the board. IMO, the real thanks belongs to you. It's your conversations and respect for your fellow fan that keeps this place fresh and on track.

Pace Maker
03-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Way better than our embarrassing RealGM board, but I'm really not familiar enough with other team's boards to proclaim this board is the best.

But what I can tell you, even if I am new, this is definitely an awesome board, and I'm glad to post here.

pacers74
03-24-2012, 10:44 PM
Indystar board was alright about 2005-2006ish , but after that it fell off really bad. I post to there before I found this board. Now I get on here almost automatically when I my computer or tablet on.
My wife plays words with friends a lot and I joked with here that she needed to take a break form it, and her response was yea when you get off of that pacers message board.

Sandman21
03-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Indystar never recovered from their move to the crappy board software they use now.

pacers74
03-24-2012, 10:54 PM
Indystar never recovered from their move to the crappy board software they use now.

Very true.

pezasied182
03-25-2012, 12:59 AM
Looking around the league, Pacers Digest is definitely one of the best, if not the best, fan messages boards for basketball that I've come across. There's some other good ones for teams that I've seen, but they just don't have the traffic of Pacers Digest.

Nuntius
03-25-2012, 02:17 AM
Our RealGM board is not bad. It has some good posters. It's just that the majority of the Pacer fans hang around these boards and not on the RealGM ones :D

Pacers4Life
03-25-2012, 02:44 AM
It never ceases to amaze me the consistency of this board.. If vnzla doesn't start the post game..somebody else rises to the occasion. I myself have started abfew threads which I can say for a fact doesn't happen anywhere else. Now if we could just get someone to fill in for "Odd Thoughts" we'd REALLY be in business :buddies:

gummy
03-25-2012, 02:51 AM
Now if we could just get someone to fill in for "Odd Thoughts" we'd REALLY be in business :buddies:

No! I shall accept no substitutes! ;)

Anthem
03-25-2012, 08:56 AM
I think you guys are reading to much into the wording here, give the guy a break :)
Wasn't trying to bust his chops, because I agree with him. Sorry if it came off that way, Skin. I just wanted to point out that the team here works hard and does a good job of making this a quality board.

OlBlu
03-25-2012, 09:10 AM
I'm looking at OKC's forum right now and it doesn't much compare to this one...

Cheers for making such an awesome forum, makers of this forum.

:cheers:

I second this. I really appreciate the people here and the way the forum is made up. It is much better than the Pluck forum at the Indianapolis Star. Three people bully everyone there and won't tolerate any opinions different from their own. Yes, there are some opinionated people here but most show some class......:cool:

Sherlock
03-25-2012, 09:30 AM
I look sometimes other fans forums, and I do think this one is definitely better than average.

Do you guys have other better fans forums in mind?
How do you compare those to the PacersDigest?

PacerPenguins
03-25-2012, 09:36 AM
I'd give Pacers Digest a B or B+

:notamused:

idioteque
03-25-2012, 10:25 AM
I am usually not a really bad procrastinator, but I am posting on PD instead of working my graduate thesis right now. Sometimes when I ask my wife to let me get on the desktop she says, "Why, so you can read Pacer's Digest all day?" I go to a lot of NBA sites but I am pretty sure this is the only one she knows by name.

Tom White
03-26-2012, 09:31 AM
No dude, I know this site is completely fan created and operated. I meant it as in, "Does our team have one of the better fan message boards in the league?" The Pacers might not run it, but I'd still call it a Pacers message board.

No intent at all of knocking the original poster. I just looked at his "join date", which was January of this year, and thought perhaps he did not know the origins of this forum. So, my apologies to the OP if I sounded that way.

FlavaDave
03-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Indystar board was alright about 2005-2006ish , but after that it fell off really bad. I post to there before I found this board. Now I get on here almost automatically when I my computer or tablet on.
My wife plays words with friends a lot and I joked with here that she needed to take a break form it, and her response was yea when you get off of that pacers message board.

The drop off around 2005-2006 coincides directly with the popularization of PD itself. That's about when I jumped ship. Like another poster said, PD is also the reason why the Pacers RealGM is sparse. PD hogs all the talent.

I used to post a ton on the IndyStar forums because of a general lack of good content over there. I had a lot to say because no one else was saying it. Now, on PD, I don't post nearly as often. There are so many good posters on here that, usually, someone has already made my point for me. I just click "Thanks".

The Mods deserve a ton of credit for this. They have fostered an environment of pure basketball discussion without insults, politics, or any of the other things that typically derail Internet discussion. Without intelligent moderation, PD would be just another Internet wasteland. Instead, it is a terrific site that serves as the #1 worldwide source of Pacers information and discussion, exceeding even the Indy Star itself and major news sources like ESPN.

And yes, my fiancÚ gives me a ton of **** for reading it too much.

croz24
03-26-2012, 12:28 PM
I too came here from the Indystar in 2005, although I've been at least browsing PD since it was started. I personally believe this board was better a few years ago, but it's still one of the better message boards I'm apart of or know of.

graphic-er
03-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Why doesn't this board have advertisements? Seems like this would easily pay for the up keep....

Peck
03-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Why doesn't this board have advertisements? Seems like this would easily pay for the up keep....

There is a very simple answer to this.

This is a labor of love from Abel. I know that HIcks and others of us have offered many times to work out some form of compensation for hosting the board and Abel will have none of it.

There are many times where we are seperated by a common language (he tends to Euro it up a bit :)) but even when some of you guys get exasperated at him for his lack of love for Bird or his over love for Tinsely you have to remember that this site does not exist at the quality it is now without him.

Sure we could have been on other bbs boards but we would have none of the cool features that we have here. Video, images, etc. are just not features most free boards get to have.

The only time that he has had nay problem at all was when Roaming Gnome posted photo's from inside Lucas Oil Stadium prior to it opening. The traffic that generated almost blew up his servers. Good old Gnome, he's not as innocent as he looks.:cool::-p

A giant thank you to Abel for being our host.

Not trying to leave Hicks out of the mix here because it was his board and his guidelines we all follow, but to be specific about why there are no adds this is why.

For that matter thanks to Shade, Uncle Buck, Roaming Gnome for doing the work of admins. There is no pay to these guys but they take the time to do the work. Sometimese there is little to no work involved but other times it is very hectic.

Sandman21
03-26-2012, 02:54 PM

Because jerks like me block them on our browsers anyway. :laugh:

QuickRelease
03-26-2012, 03:17 PM
I'd never ventured on a fan forum of any kind prior to Pacersdigest. Now, it is the home page on my laptop. Even during the offseason I hit the site up pretty much every day. Love it here!

Peck
03-26-2012, 03:55 PM
I'd never ventured on a fan forum of any kind prior to Pacersdigest. Now, it is the home page on my laptop. Even during the offseason I hit the site up pretty much every day. Love it here!

And we miss you coming to the party's.

Pacersalltheway10
03-26-2012, 04:20 PM
I second this. I really appreciate the people here and the way the forum is made up. It is much better than the Pluck forum at the Indianapolis Star. Three people bully everyone there and won't tolerate any opinions different from their own. Yes, there are some opinionated people here but most show some class......:cool:
:cool:

QuickRelease
03-26-2012, 05:20 PM
And we miss you coming to the party's.It always falls when I'm traveling. I'll make it a point to be at the next one.

TheDavisBrothers
03-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Nope! D@mn you Abel and that breakdown!

In all seriousness, I've never been on any other basketball message board before this one and I don't plan on changing that. As others have said, I was going through serious withdraws yesterday and keep checking back in the faint hope that it would come back sooner then expected. I want to say thanks to all of the fine people who work on the board, especially Abel!

flox
03-26-2012, 05:48 PM
I love this board. I truly do. Even if it doesn't love me back. Great message board. Well run. Reasonable people. Good hours. Pretty clean too.

BornReady
03-26-2012, 05:53 PM
I felt like a lost puppy when PD board was down yesterday

Richard_Skull
03-26-2012, 06:09 PM
My usual routine used to be: NBA.com, espn.com, cbssports, than here. But now, it's here first and usually that's it. Best place for news and fan feed back.