PDA

View Full Version : Sony Joins Samsung With a One Price HDTV Strategy

Shade
03-23-2012, 05:31 PM
http://hdguru.com/sony-joins-samsung-with-a-one-price-hdtv-strategy/7510/#more-7510

How is this not collusion/price-fixing?

If this catches on, won't it mean price increases to consumers?

(I also found it an interesting coincidence that this plan takes effect on April Fool's Day.)

Bball
03-23-2012, 06:28 PM
(If I read this correctly) Sony and Samsung aren't teaming up to set prices so that eliminates collusion issues.

MAP pricing occurs in several markets but I've never known it to be dictated that a dealer must SELL at a certain price point... they simply can't advertise below a certain price. This is supposed to make things a little more fair for dealers who get goaded into slim margins by internet sellers who don't necessarily maintain anything except a warehouse and shipping dept and whose service dept is non-existent. So Joe's TV can't sell the WhizBang 2000 at a reasonable profit because Bob's Amazonian Internet Store is selling them with a slim 25.00 markup and trying to sell quantity.

I'm assuming it is perfectly legal to have fixed selling points in dealer contracts... and honestly.... (and maybe Sony knows this or even encourages it) small dealers can probably get away selling IN PERSON at below dictated prices. That said, the receipt would reflect the selling price so this would be outed on warranty repairs. Sony could then act on that and pull a dealer's authorization to sell their product... if that is what they deem to do.

What these fixed prices probably do is they will cause other set makers to easily undercut them... unless it has the opposite effect and prices rise to meet the Sony area. But the Chinese don't seem interested in maintaining higher profit margins... they seem more motivated to cut as many corners as possible and sell as cheaply as possible.

So Sony's (and Samsung's) guaranteed prices will probably just guarantee they will be the highest priced sets in the store or online. And unless they plan on a helluva marketing campaign to make people believe they are really worth the extra money they might find themselves LOSING marketshare in a hurry.

Hoop
04-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Bose has done this forever. No need to price check, because the price is going to be the same everywhere.

Bball
04-02-2012, 01:18 AM
No highs, no lows.... Must be BOSE....

RWB
04-02-2012, 12:14 PM
No highs, no lows.... Must be BOSE....

Eh, they're just way overpriced. I do like the WAVE radio, paid too much, but nice to wake up to as an alarm clock.

Back on topic.... Weber Grills is another company with a set price.

Bball
04-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Bose = Better sound thru marketing.

They sound good... just not THAT good to justify their price. But their price 'justifies' the thought that they are top shelf.

DGPR
04-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Not to detract from the thread but HP iBeats don't sound any better than my Sony Beat Buddies and they cost half the price! Just because there is a certain brand name doesn't always mean the product is better.