PDA

View Full Version : Once again Vescey's wrong: Larry Bird: No decision made

Hibbert
03-23-2012, 01:05 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7728228/larry-bird-indiana-pacers-no-decision-made-leaving-team

Larry Bird: No decision made
Updated: March 23, 2012, 1:48 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

Email
Print

Larry Bird has refuted a published report that he will step down as president of the Indiana Pacers at the end of the current NBA season, saying he has yet to make such a decision.

The New York Post, citing an unnamed source, reported Friday that Bird would step down, regardless of how the Pacers end the season.

Bird
Bird

"No decision has been made. End of story," Bird said Friday in a statement issued through the Pacers to Indianapolis-area media outlets.

"I talk to Larry every day. He has not said anything to me about leaving," team owner Herb Simon said, according to The Indianapolis Star. "He can stay here as long as he wants."

Bird, who is 55, said in January that he'll make a decision about his future at the end of the season, The Star reported.

A Hall of Famer as a player with the Boston Celtics, Bird has been president of the Pacers since 2003. He coached the Pacers for three seasons from 1997-2000, leading them to the NBA Finals in his last season on the bench.

As team president, Bird shared basketball decisions with former Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh until Walsh left the franchise for the New York Knicks in 2008.

The Pacers, 27-18 entering Friday's games, appear headed for their second straight Eastern Conference playoff berth after not making the playoffs for four consecutive seasons.

The Pacers surged into the playoffs last season after starting 17-27 and replacing coach Jim O'Brien with Frank Vogel. That earned Bird another year to continue rebuilding the

LetsTalkPacers
03-23-2012, 01:07 PM
http://geektyrant.com/storage/post-images-2011/darthvader-yesman.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=131585225897 3

Ownagedood
03-23-2012, 01:15 PM
As long as he comes out with this report every year, he's bound to be right at somepoint.

I guarantee it. ;)

Kid Minneapolis
03-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Think pretty much everyone said this in the other thread. Vecsey screwed the pooch again.

Unclebuck
03-23-2012, 01:29 PM
How does this prove that Vecsey is wrong.

gummy
03-23-2012, 01:39 PM
As long as he comes out with this report every year, he's bound to be right at somepoint.

I guarantee it. ;)

hahaha. I was going to say the same thing.

Kegboy
03-23-2012, 02:03 PM
Wonder who will get fired this time. :hmm:

Hibbert
03-23-2012, 02:18 PM

Columnist Peter Vecsey quotes a source as saying "he has definitely decided not to return."

But Bird denied the report in a statement.

"No decision has been made, end of story," he said.

Peter claimed the same thing in the past more than one time and was wrong each time and this year does it again? Larry said himself no decision has been made....just like he did last year only to return.

Unclebuck
03-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Columnist Peter Vecsey quotes a source as saying "he has definitely decided not to return."

Peter claimed the same thing in the past more than one time and was wrong each time and this year does it again? Larry said himself no decision has been made....just like he did last year only to return.

OK, so if Bird leaves after this season is Vecsey right or wrong

tadscout
03-23-2012, 02:50 PM

How in any way does it prove his report was right? Especially with him reporting the same thing in previous years to end up being wrong.

Larry is a no non-sense guy... He is most likely focused on this season and won't even think about his future till after the season (like last year)... so honestly unless Larry comes out and says it himself, I won't believe it.

Unclebuck
03-23-2012, 02:56 PM
He reported in October 2009 (2.5 years ago) that two sources told him that Bird will call it quits after that season (2010)

Now Vecsey is reporting that a source has told him that Bird has decided that this is his last season. "He has definitely decided not to return"

So he is not reporting the exact same thing.

With the current report there is no way anyone can suggest it is right, wrong or anythig right now. We have to wait until after the season. And yet even then Bird could change his mind and decide to come back for next year. If that happens that that Make Vecsey wrong?

Bird himself I believe after last season said he was planning on not coming back but Simon talked him into coming back for 1 more season.

Unclebuck
03-23-2012, 03:00 PM

OK, so you expect Bird to announce today that he is not coming back. Even if he has decided he isn't coming back he isn't going to announce it until he is good and ready and has discussed it with the Simons.

Beyond all that. Are you suggesting that a source didn't tell Vecsey what he is reporting. Are you suggesting he is making it up from nothing. If you are suggesting that, why would Vecsey do that.

I have a close family member who was close to Jeff Foster and that family member told me a year ago that Jeff Foster was going to retire after last season. My source told me Jeff has decided to retire after the season. Jeff had made the decision. I trust my family member 100%, I believe Jeff did tell him that and had decided to retire, but Jeff changed his mind and decided to come back for 1 more season. If I had reported last year at this time that Jeff was going to retire. It would have turned out to be wrong, but that doesn't make me wrong or my source wrong. Jeff just changed his mind.

TheDavisBrothers
03-23-2012, 03:04 PM
He reported in October 2009 (2.5 years ago) that two sources told him that Bird will call it quits after that season (2010)

Now Vecsey is reporting that a source has told him that Bird has decided that this is his last season. "He has definitely decided not to return"

So he is not reporting the exact same thing.

With the current report there is no way anyone can suggest it is right, wrong or anythig right now. We have to wait until after the season. And yet even then Bird could change his mind and decide to come back for next year. If that happens that that Make Vecsey wrong?

Bird himself I believe after last season said he was planning on not coming back but Simon talked him into coming back for 1 more season.

He's wrong, not because of Bird returning or not returning, but because the decision has not been made yet...

vapacersfan
03-23-2012, 03:07 PM
I agree with UB on this one.

I may have decided to buy the Indiana Pacers, but if I do not decide to tell anyone anything how does one know what I have decided or not decided.

It is all semantics, but this is why I hate when team officials respond to media rumors. How do we know a decision has not been made yet. Surely Bird would not tell us before he announced it to the owners/other GM's/his family/friends/etc

Justin Tyme
03-23-2012, 03:08 PM

I agree.

Bird didn't ride into town on a turnip wagon last night. Even if he has decided to leave, why would he say so and cause this team possible confusion problems the rest of the reg season and the playoffs? He may be a hick from the sticks, but he's not unintelligent/daft.

Unclebuck
03-23-2012, 03:11 PM
He's wrong, not because of Bird returning or not returning, but because the decision has not been made yet...

How do you or can you know if Bird has made the decision. Vecsey is only reporting that Bird has decided not to come back according to a source. Sure the pacers organization has not announced it they have not made it public, they have not decided it.

TheDavisBrothers
03-23-2012, 03:23 PM
How do you or can you know if Bird has made the decision. Vecsey is only reporting that Bird has decided not to come back according to a source. Sure the pacers organization has not announced it they have not made it public, they have not decided it.

Bird said the decision hasn't been made yet, The thread starter and me will go on that...

I fully understand what you are saying, but it's all speculation, I'll just stick with what he actually said.

Dr. Awesome
03-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Are we really arguing over whether or not Vescey is right or wrong?

Eddie Gill
03-23-2012, 03:26 PM

A broken clock is right two times a day.

If the world actually ends after the National Enquirer predicts it did they have some inside info?

AesopRockOn
03-23-2012, 03:42 PM
It is all semantics,

Most cable news channels would agree with you.

Hibbert
03-23-2012, 04:07 PM

Are you having a bad day today? Bird denied the report. Peter must not of been read the boy who cried wolf story.

Hibbert
03-23-2012, 04:11 PM
OK, so you expect Bird to announce today that he is not coming back. Even if he has decided he isn't coming back he isn't going to announce it until he is good and ready and has discussed it with the Simons.

Beyond all that. Are you suggesting that a source didn't tell Vecsey what he is reporting. Are you suggesting he is making it up from nothing. If you are suggesting that, why would Vecsey do that.

I have a close family member who was close to Jeff Foster and that family member told me a year ago that Jeff Foster was going to retire after last season. My source told me Jeff has decided to retire after the season. Jeff had made the decision. I trust my family member 100%, I believe Jeff did tell him that and had decided to retire, but Jeff changed his mind and decided to come back for 1 more season. If I had reported last year at this time that Jeff was going to retire. It would have turned out to be wrong, but that doesn't make me wrong or my source wrong. Jeff just changed his mind.

So why even say anything than? Let alone publish an article in the paper?

BillS
03-23-2012, 04:25 PM
So let me see if I have this straight. Vecsey put a cat into a box with a decaying isotope, such that if the isotope actually decays the cat dies and if the isotope doesn't decay Bird leaves. But since an isotope decaying is a quantum event Bird only resigns if we look into the box to find out if the cat is dead or not.

Did I get that right?

TheDavisBrothers
03-23-2012, 04:39 PM
So let me see if I have this straight. Vecsey put a cat into a box with a decaying isotope, such that if the isotope actually decays the cat dies and if the isotope doesn't decay Bird leaves. But since an isotope decaying is a quantum event Bird only resigns if we look into the box to find out if the cat is dead or not.

Did I get that right?

:confused: :mygod: :wtf:

rabid
03-23-2012, 05:19 PM
:confused: :mygod: :wtf:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dinger's_cat :laugh:

TheDavisBrothers
03-23-2012, 05:40 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dinger's_cat :laugh:

Thats still to complicated for me :blush::laugh:

Edit: So it's kinda like "if a tree falls in the forest..."

PR07
03-23-2012, 06:09 PM
Yes, he's gotten this team out of the gutter, but I'd like to see him see this thing through. There are far greener pastures ahead hopefully. Seems to me he has the obsessive basketball personality (that a lot of great ones do) and appears to get burned out after every reason. It's just a matter of whether he feels he can recharge the battery.

McKeyFan
03-23-2012, 06:11 PM
So, either
- Bird is lying and Simon is clueless
- Bird and Simon are both lying
- Vescey is wrong

I'll take door number three.

Shade
03-23-2012, 06:43 PM

Did I get that right?

So...Larry Bird is both dead and alive? :chin:

Ack! Zombie Bird! :runout: