PDA

View Full Version : Vescey: Bird will not return as GM next year

idioteque
03-23-2012, 09:02 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/bye_bye_bird_ie_cpnHrR0HJB38R7tWWRc5iJ

Craziest part: The firm belief by those with a pulse on the situation: Simon is more apt to choose a marquee name like Reggie Miller or Chris Mullin as opposed to promoting the people on site, general manager David Moray or personnel director Kevin Pritchard.

Chris Mullin, didn't he do a pretty poor job in Golden State, like signing Adonal Foyle to that stupid contract among other things? I hope his name just came up as an example of a "big name."

Trophy
03-23-2012, 09:03 AM
That's alright because he's not even the GM. ;)

LetsTalkPacers
03-23-2012, 09:04 AM
http://nooooooooooooooo.com/vader.jpg

LetsTalkPacers
03-23-2012, 09:05 AM
By the way I forgot until now that Kevin Pritchard is in the front office. He's been quiet

BPump33
03-23-2012, 09:21 AM
If Mr. Simon likes the direction we are currently heading, it seems weird that he wouldn't promote from within. Just my two cents.

Hypnotiq
03-23-2012, 09:22 AM
isn't vescey a guy thats usually wrong most of the time ?

PR07
03-23-2012, 09:23 AM
Please no Chris Mullin. Morway or Pritchard should get the nod.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about Reggie. It would be cooling seeing him as the face of Pacers' management and back with the organization, but in terms of actually evaluating talent? I'm hesitant.

PacerPenguins
03-23-2012, 09:25 AM
Jeff Foster

Since86
03-23-2012, 09:33 AM
I'm pretty sure Vescey said this last year too....

billbradley
03-23-2012, 09:36 AM

Sources: Bird set to go at end of season
Last Updated: 6:58 AM, October 18, 2009

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/item_KGhrbzImxDofoCvhQO87NI

dohman
03-23-2012, 09:36 AM
We all knew this. Bird just wanted to get this team back to the point of being compeititve so he was not called a complete failure as a GM and I applaud him for this.

I honestly feel pitchard was brought in for this job. He might have some cupcake title but there is a reason he is here and working. He is a good talent and Bird likes him. I really doubt simons would be naive enough to think mullin would be a good hire.

vapacersfan
03-23-2012, 09:40 AM
To be fair Vescey used to get a lot of good "inside info" about the Pacers. I never knew where it came from, but someone smarter then I once suggested here that his source may have been Donnie Walsh.

Since and billbradley, to be fair didnt everyone assume Bird was done. I mean, Mr. Simon all but had to beg him to come back, and it was just a "handshake" agreement to give it one more year.

Regardless of how people feel about him as a player, I think Bird did a good job of helping turn us around after the joke of a franchise we became after 11/19 and all the off the court drama. I only wish he would have gotten rid of JOB sooner (though maybe that wasnt fully his choice)

duke dynamite
03-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Since and billbradley, to be fair didnt everyone assume Bird was done. I mean, Mr. Simon all but had to beg him to come back, and it was just a "handshake" agreement to give it one more year.

But it's always been a "handshake" agreement they've had.

Hicks
03-23-2012, 09:44 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/bye_bye_bird_ie_cpnHrR0HJB38R7tWWRc5iJ

Craziest part: The firm belief by those with a pulse on the situation: Simon is more apt to choose a marquee name like Reggie Miller or Chris Mullin as opposed to promoting the people on site, general manager David Moray or personnel director Kevin Pritchard.

Chris Mullin, didn't he do a pretty poor job in Golden State, like signing Adonal Foyle to that stupid contract among other things? I hope his name just came up as an example of a "big name."

I really hope that's not the route Simon wants to go with this. I feel like we got lucky that Bird has been as good as he is.

ejwallace
03-23-2012, 09:46 AM
Here's to hoping that Larry stays on for a LONG LONG time.....

Hicks
03-23-2012, 09:47 AM

I think Bird was close to leaving last season. From what I remember, he went back and forth on what he was going to do right up until the last minute. So he probably at one point didn't think he was going to return, and that word might've gotten back to Vecsey.

owl
03-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Seems like Bird would really like to be involved with next year since they are so flexible with cap space.

McKeyFan
03-23-2012, 09:50 AM
I think Bird was close to leaving last season. From what I remember, he went back and forth on what he was going to do right up until the last minute. So he probably at one point didn't think he was going to return, and that word might've gotten back to Vecsey.

Which means it could happen again.
:happydanc

Sandman21
03-23-2012, 09:50 AM
I'll believe it when it comes from Sheridan or Woj.

Vecsey is just a print version of Hoopsworld.

Since86
03-23-2012, 09:53 AM

Wasn't that the report from Peter Vescey though? Whenever the name "Peter" is followed by "Vescey" it's been apparent that we should take it with a grain of salt.

When I first came around this place, it seemed like we would always have a Peter Vescey story where he said one thing was going to happen, and it never did.

It's like the Boy Who Cried Wolf. I think I'm gonna have to get bit on the *** before I get too caught up in what he's got to say.

Kid Minneapolis
03-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Doesn't make much sense... why would he spend all this time/energy righting the ship to just take leave right when the fruits of his labor were starting to get ripe?

Vecsey isn't someone I generally take too serious.

PacerGuy
03-23-2012, 09:59 AM
It's gonna happen sooner then later - I just hope it's a bit later.
I think part of it is I like some of the players Larry is rumored to like &/or have tried to land (EJ, Rondo, Mayo). I hope we go with K.Prich, just cause I don't know what Moray's player vision is, plus I always saw him as more administrative then evaluator. I'd love to get Reggie back in the fold, but not in that role w/ 0 experience. We are too close to "wing-it" at the top.

Whoever we choose, I hope their off-season vision includes:
Re-sign our own:
-Hibbert, Hill, Amnunson: All need to return! (Yes, I include Lou!)
-Stanko: Time to bring him over is now, nice b/u C to Roy
-Consider Barbosa, Fesenko depending on their play/fit down the stretch.
FA Options:
-D.Williams: Gotta try, though very unlikely. Big, elite PG.
-EJ: I know the whole "we don't pursue RFA's", but IMO we will (or via trade?)
-Harden: If EJ & D.Will are not options, JH should be in play.
-Oden: vet min w/ some incentives, 3rd big give him time & no presure.
Trade Options:
-Rondo: Gotta ask. Love his size, D, ability to fill a stat sheet.
-Conley: MEM is up against cap, a very long shot, but I like the home town kid.
Draft:
-Trade (w/ asset)s for above upgrade options.
-Best player available, though PF,PG,SG in that order IMO

Rogco
03-23-2012, 10:04 AM
Bird's not leaving after this year. We're going to have a fun play-off series (or four), he'll love it, have cap space, and want to come back for one more year. As long as the job is more fun than burden, I think Bird will stick around a couple more years.

At least I hope so.

cinotimz
03-23-2012, 10:06 AM
From 5 million a year to 1 million this year? Thats quite a little paycut. Maybe Bird put this out there as a negotiating ploy...no more hometown discount.

Hicks
03-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Oh, my bad. I thought that link was from LAST season, not TWO SEASONS ago.

Wow. I can only speculate that Bird has been wishy-washy for years and that Vecsey happens to pick up on it when he's leaning towards leaving instead of staying. We'll see.

My memory is vague, but I thought even the local press seemed to think at one point Bird was done last summer?

Sparhawk
03-23-2012, 10:25 AM
It's gonna happen sooner then later - I just hope it's a bit later.
I think part of it is I like some of the players Larry is rumored to like &/or have tried to land (EJ, Rondo, Mayo). I hope we go with K.Prich, just cause I don't know what Moray's player vision is, plus I always saw him as more administrative then evaluator. I'd love to get Reggie back in the fold, but not in that role w/ 0 experience. We are too close to "wing-it" at the top.

Whoever we choose, I hope their off-season vision includes:
Re-sign our own:
-Hibbert, Hill, Amnunson: All need to return! (Yes, I include Lou!)
-Stanko: Time to bring him over is now, nice b/u C to Roy
-Consider Barbosa, Fesenko depending on their play/fit down the stretch.
FA Options:
-D.Williams: Gotta try, though very unlikely. Big, elite PG.
-EJ: I know the whole "we don't pursue RFA's", but IMO we will (or via trade?)
-Harden: If EJ & D.Will are not options, JH should be in play.
-Oden: vet min w/ some incentives, 3rd big give him time & no presure.
Trade Options:
-Rondo: Gotta ask. Love his size, D, ability to fill a stat sheet.
-Conley: MEM is up against cap, a very long shot, but I like the home town kid.
Draft:
-Trade (w/ asset)s for above upgrade options.
-Best player available, though PF,PG,SG in that order IMO

I'd much rather go after Harden than EJ. That might free up trading Granger and DC to upgrade the point. I'm not for trading Granger though, but it could be an option. I agree with everything else. :)

LG33
03-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Does anyone here welcome his departure? I've been pretty happy with what he's done.

Nuntius
03-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Does anyone here welcome his departure? I've been pretty happy with what he's done.

I think that most of us are happy with what he's done. Bird has done an extremely solid GMing job this year.

Major Cold
03-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Thanks to Vescey Bird is the Favre of "GMs".

vnzla81
03-23-2012, 10:35 AM

I would not be upset if he leaves.

Sparhawk
03-23-2012, 10:36 AM

He has been very patient. While I think a lot of us want that big sexy trade or signing, Bird has done a pretty good job. Not great, but certainly good. I think drafting Hans was the biggest mistake he's made (Jrue Holiday would have been better).

Since86
03-23-2012, 10:41 AM

No kidding.......

PacersHomer
03-23-2012, 10:54 AM
I really hope not.

wintermute
03-23-2012, 11:02 AM
As for going after a marquee name, we know that it's Simon's MO to after high profile former players with Indiana ties (e.g. Bird, Isiah). On the other, we had Walsh as GM for over 2 decades, so it can't be a hard and fast rule.

I love Reggie as a player, but turning the team over to a completely untested GM is probably the last thing we should do.

Pacers13Colts12
03-23-2012, 11:11 AM
This all seems so familiar...oh wait

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/sources_bird_set_to_go_at_end_of_KGhrbzImxDofoCvhQ O87NI

Justin Tyme
03-23-2012, 11:17 AM

Nor would I.

BUT Bird looks like a genius compared to Mullins! You know that guy who gave Murphy, Dunleavy, and Foyle those albatross contracts. I was really hoping Walsh would hire Mullins when he was in NY. I thought James "Sonny Boy" Dolan deserved another GM who liked to give out ridiculous contracts. Throw Mullins, McHale, and Zeke into a sack, pull one out, and you have a one and the same type GM... TERRIBLE. Otis Smith and Philly's GM, name has escaped me, aren't much better, well maybe 1 step up.

J7F
03-23-2012, 11:18 AM
As for going after a marquee name, we know that it's Simon's MO to after high profile former players with Indiana ties (e.g. Bird, Isiah). On the other, we had Walsh as GM for over 2 decades, so it can't be a hard and fast rule.

I love Reggie as a player, but turning the team over to a completely untested GM is probably the last thing we should do.

I agree... If we do bring Reggie in I hope he would get some time working under Morway/Pritchard before we hand him the keys... I think Larry benefited greatly from working under Donnie to learn the ropes...

Justin Tyme
03-23-2012, 11:21 AM

It was Walsh who brought in Isiah and Bird, and almost brought in Mullins in at NY.

RamBo_Lamar
03-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Vescey is absolutely right if he says Bird will not be returning as GM.

Bird was never GM to start with...duh! :duh:

And thank God for the great GM we do have in David Morway, who doesn't
get anywhere near the credit he deserves for his help in getting the team
in the position (especially from a financial standpoint) it is in now.

Justin Tyme
03-23-2012, 11:24 AM
[QUOTE=Sparhawk;1404382

I think drafting Hans was the biggest mistake he's made (Jrue Holiday would have been better).[/QUOTE]

Not even close! Hiring Jimmy over the phone ranks #1 & picking up Jimmy's Team Option for a 4th year was #2. Overpaying Foster with a 2 year extension of 12.6 mil was #3.

Bball
03-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Bird has GM'ed like he coached... surrounded himself with capable people and delegated.

It makes since that we'd then promote from within rather than going with an unproven 'star' over existing experience to replace him. Just like we did when he retired as coach. We stayed with the tried and true and didn't go with some gimmick hire and... wait... crap!!!

Frostwolf
03-23-2012, 11:38 AM
does vecsey work for the ny post now? if so that just shows you how low his credibility has fallen. even if bird isn't coming back next season, i see no reason pritch isn't promoted.

Bball
03-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Hasn't he worked for the Post for years?

TheDon
03-23-2012, 12:05 PM
for all the people that want to see Bird go how happy would you be if his replacement ended up being Mullin :uhoh::shudder:

wintermute
03-23-2012, 12:07 PM
It was Walsh who brought in Isiah and Bird, and almost brought in Mullins in at NY.

Good point, but I thought I read somewhere that Simon was in favor of that too.

Sparhawk
03-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Not even close! Hiring Jimmy over the phone ranks #1 & picking up Jimmy's Team Option for a 4th year was #2. Overpaying Foster with a 2 year extension of 12.6 mil was #3.

:bowdown:

wintermute
03-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Probably as good a time as any to revisit this article. It's from Woj, Aug of last year

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_pacers_reggie_miller_081811

Pacers owner eyes Miller to run team

Indiana Pacers owner Herb Simon has heeded Larry Bird’s private and public proclamations that Bird is working his final year as the team’s president, that his staying through the lockout had been a favor to his boss. As Simon investigates possible succession plans, there’s one candidate emerging over everyone else: Pacers legend Reggie Miller.

Simon has been canvassing people he respects – including his longtime former general manager Donnie Walsh – for opinions about how they believe Miller would do with the transition from television to management. Several people with longstanding ties to Miller and the Pacers are pushing Miller to pursue the job, and as one tells Yahoo! Sports: “He’s going to look hard at this, if it’s presented in the right way.”

Simon has considered this possibility for several years, sources said, and thinks the timing could be right to groom Miller to run his basketball operations. This is likely Miller’s one chance to ever run a team. And where else would he rather do it, but in the city, the state, where he became basketball royalty?

Nevertheless, there’s risk for everyone. Miller has a cushy national TV analyst’s job with TNT, and he’d have to jeopardize his standing as an iconic Indiana figure. He’s the greatest, most beloved player in Pacers history. He’ll take hits upstairs that he never had to take on the court.

Simon has always been most comfortable hiring people he knows and trusts, people that resonate within the Indiana basketball culture. From French Lick’s Larry Bird to Indiana Hoosier legend Isiah Thomas, he’s never been afraid to take a chance with legendary names for his most important jobs. And the reason Simon could bring Miller, with no executive experience, to the Pacers is the same reason he brought Bird and Thomas to Indianapolis: the chance for Walsh to mentor Miller.

“Herb really wants that to happen,” says a league official with close ties to Miller and Walsh.

If Bird does leave, there’s momentum growing for Walsh to return to the Pacers with Miller. Strong ties still bind Walsh, Simon and Miller. Within weeks of his departure from the New York Knicks, Walsh had been telling confidants he was refreshed and eager to work again. He didn’t leave New York because he was tired of the job, but weary of the Garden culture. He’s 70 years old, but Walsh isn’t done with the NBA. He doesn’t want to leave Indianapolis again, and this could be perfect for him.

After all, Walsh and Miller are still close, and still closely tied in Pacers history. Walsh made the unpopular choice of taking Miller in the 1987 NBA draft, and yet ultimately Miller became the centerpiece for years of Eastern Conference contention. Once Miller retired in 2005, Walsh turned over the Pacers to Bird, and eventually made his move back to his hometown New York Knicks. After four years on the job, Walsh made the Knicks relevant again, but he missed Indianapolis and his life there. His wife and family had stayed back, and Walsh returned for good in June.

Walsh is extremely fond of Miller, and sources say Simon believes Miller could evolve into a good basketball executive. The possibility of teaching him the trade, the craft, and eventually handing the Pacers over to Miller is intriguing to Walsh too, sources said. Miller isn’t the only choice, because there’s one more ex-Pacer that the owner and Walsh have a fondness for: Chris Mullin. Walsh wanted to hire Mullin with the Knicks, but ownership wouldn’t allow it. Still, Reggie is Reggie in Indiana. There’s no more magical pro basketball name there.

For now, the Pacers’ front office is waiting to see what happens. All of its executives and scouts are on year-to-year contracts now. GM David Morway would love the chance to replace Bird, but that’s an unlikely scenario, sources said. For some, there was a belief that the hiring of former Portland Trail Blazers GM Kevin Pritchard as director of player personnel could be a precursor to Pritchard’s ascension, but that’s doubtful too. Simon was ambivalent over Pritchard’s hiring, sources say, but allowed Bird the leeway to bring him into the franchise for the next year.

As much as anything too, Bird has done the hard part here. The pain of rebuilding has been endured, and the Pacers have a young nucleus to be a playoff team for several years in the Eastern Conference. With salary cap space to spend after the lockout, Indiana has a chance to move up from the eighth spot it had in the 2010-11 playoffs. As he did with coaching the Pacers, Bird has grown tired of the job’s grind, and seems inclined to return to his Florida home on a year-round basis.

“They asked me to stay another year through the lockout season, the owner did, for a favor,” Bird told the Boston Globe in June. “I was leaving, but [Simon] asked me to stay, and I will and I’ll get the job done.

“I just think the franchise is in a good position right now, and I want to leave it in a good position for the next guy to do some good things. Sometimes you just look at it and say, ‘Hey, I’ve done enough. I’ve got it in the position I want to get it in,’ and you move on. I’ve got another year here and I’m going to try to do the best I can to get this team back to winning.”

Yes, Larry Bird did Herb Simon a favor and stayed on the job through the lockout. This gives the owner time to work on a succession plan, and his preferred choice for the future could be replacing one Indiana icon with the greatest Pacer of all. If Reggie Miller ever wanted to run a team, this would be his chance, his franchise.

So... Vecsey's info jibes with Woj's old report at least.

Speed
03-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Meh, Vescey reporting makes me think its more likely that he IS coming back.

Day-V
03-23-2012, 12:26 PM

I know aaronb can't wait for him to go, for some reason.

Justin Tyme
03-23-2012, 12:30 PM
for all the people that want to see Bird go how happy would you be if his replacement ended up being Mullin :uhoh::shudder:

Bite your tongue and don't wish that off on anyone but Dolan.

I wouldn't wish Mullins off on Detroit!

dgranger17
03-23-2012, 12:32 PM

Hiring JOB considering the circumstances wasn't that bad. Nobody else would've wanted to come in here with the mess of a roster we had, knowing damn well the fans/media would want his head cut off in the near future. Picking up the option on the other hand, I wasn't a fan of. Then again, it brought us Vogel.

Wishful thinking, but I don't see Larry leaving without a title. He isn't the kind of guy who wins a couple of playoff series and hangs it up.

I LOVE YOU LARRY!

Side note, in regards to this offseason... we've got to let Hibbert walk if the price tag is too much. This pains me to say, since he gave me free tickets to hang out with a bunch of Pacers fanatics last year, but a small market team can't have $12-16 million tied up in a player like Roy for 4-5 years. Re-signing Lou and Fesenko for much more reasonable contracts should be the way to go. We might be able to grab Camby or another solid center for a Dalembert like contract in Houston. $10 million for Hibbert would be great.

Go Hoosiers

Justin Tyme
03-23-2012, 12:34 PM
I know aaronb can't wait for him to go, for some reason.

My guess is Able won't be heartbroke either if Bird does indeed leave.

vnzla81
03-23-2012, 12:47 PM

Just because I don't like Bird the "decision maker" doesn't mean that I'll be happy to get Mullin, I hope Simon is smart enough to keep Pritchard, by the way I like Pritchard a lot but I'm afraid of him and his love for drafting and signing players with knee injuries, he is to me the one behind the signing of Pendergraph, Fesenko and probably West, I don't think he learned the lesson with Broy and Oden.

HC
03-23-2012, 12:50 PM
I like Bird, and I will hate to see him go whenever that may be. Bird is a no nonsense type of guy though, so why let this come out now? You have a good young team battling for playoff position, so why the distraction? Doesn't seem like a Larry Bird move. Obviously there is a loud mouth somewhere on the inside, but Bird would already know this.

Sandman21
03-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Mike Wells ‏ @MikeWellsNBA
Owner Herb Simon on supposedly being aware of Bird's plans: "I talk to Larry everyday he has not said anything to me about leaving."

Vescey is talking out his @@@ again.

Unclebuck
03-23-2012, 12:52 PM
does vecsey work for the ny post now? if so that just shows you how low his credibility has fallen. even if bird isn't coming back next season, i see no reason pritch isn't promoted.

He's worked for the Post for over 25 years. He did leave the post for a couple of seasons to write for the USA Today.

I have no doubt that sources have told Vecsey that Bird is leaving and I have no doubt that Bird has told people he is leaving.

Of course that does not preclude him from changing his mind which he essentually did last year.

HC
03-23-2012, 12:55 PM
He's worked for the Post for over 25 years. He did leave the post for a couple of seasons to write for the USA Today.

I have no doubt that sources have told Vecsey that Bird is leaving and I have no doubt that Bird has told people he is leaving.

Of course that does not preclude him from chancing his mind which he essentually did last year.

Dang, your mood status is totally misspelled.

Eddie Gill
03-23-2012, 01:28 PM
I really hope Peter Vescey finds his way to this thread. Talk about a guy with ZERO credibility. Rather than talk about the actual content of his column, the vast majority of the discussion has been about the author's lack of reliability. It might be time for a career re-evaluation for Mr. Vescey...

ejwallace
03-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Also In Indiana Pacers
Larry Bird is denying a NY Post report that he has decided to step down at the end of the season. "No decision has been made, end of story," Bird said through a team spokesman. Bird and owner Herb Simon have a handshake year-to-year agreement. Bird, who goes back and forth on whether he wants to stay, told The Star in January he'll decide his future once the season ends. "I talk to Larry everyday he has not said anything to me about leaving," Simon said. "He can stay here as long as he wants."

http://www.sulia.com/channel/basketball/f/da9749cb-9957-42ee-8593-5869b3bd9481/?source=twitter

rabid
03-23-2012, 01:54 PM
When I first came around this place, it seemed like we would always have a Peter Vescey story where he said one thing was going to happen, and it never did.

It's like the Boy Who Cried Wolf. I think I'm gonna have to get bit on the *** before I get too caught up in what he's got to say.

This. For every story Vescey has broken, he's been wrong about 10 other stories. He was wrong about this exact same story last year.

This might be true or it might not, but I doubt if Larry has even made up his mind yet, so I'm not putting much stock in the NY Post. If other sources confirm, then sure. But otherwise I'm not worrying about it until the end of the season.

Day-V
03-23-2012, 02:08 PM
My guess is Able won't be heartbroke either if Bird does indeed leave.

Which I just. don't. understand. With what he's done the past 2 seasons, I don't see how anyone would want him to leave at this point.

RWB
03-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Maybe Vescey thinks he is doing Donnie Walsh a favor by stirring the pot. Donnie's not ready to retire, prefers Indy, and Vescey probably owes him for past accomodations. Donnie Walsh is a class act so he wouldn't ask Vescey to do this, but maybe Vescey feels he owes him one, plus it wouldn't hurt Vescey to have an insider that high up again.

gummy
03-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Ugh, this again.

RomanGabriel
03-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Not this again. Please fellas, it's VECSEY, not Vescey.:soundoff:

RWB
03-23-2012, 02:49 PM

Sorry Pete, we'll get your name right the next time. :devil:

Pacerized
03-23-2012, 02:50 PM
isn't vescey a guy thats usually wrong most of the time ?

Yes his usually wrong. It may be stupid but I hate Vescey and this only makes me hate him more.

I really hope Bird sticks around for another year. This summer will be his one chance to put us over the top in free agency and we won't have that chance again with this core team. We need Bird to finish what he started. I can't imagine Bird leaving us now at this critical point.

PaulGeorge
03-23-2012, 03:01 PM
I don't understand why Bird wants to step down. He assumed the role of President of Basketball operations in 03 then a year later he was hit with a major upheaval. Now 8yrs later we are on our way back to one of the premiere teams in the East. You'd think after going through such a long slump he'd atleast wanna stay around 5 more years to see what his group does. He is only 55 which by GM standards isn't that old.

Sandman21
03-23-2012, 03:01 PM

Until he starts reporting things with a shred of truth to them, he doesn't deserve to have his name spelled right!:devil:

TheDon
03-23-2012, 03:20 PM
it's on ESPN's ticker, Bird reported to WTHR that that is not the case he has never said anything about leaving after this year

aaronb
03-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Which I just. don't. understand. With what he's done the past 2 seasons, I don't see how anyone would want him to leave at this point.

I loved Bird the player and it's nice that we've had a good season this year. Still doesn't mean that Bird is above criticism. 1 winning lockout shortened season doesn't negate 5 consecutive years in the lotto.

He has done a decent job of building some depth to combat this compressed schedule this year. However this still isn't a roster that is a threat to win a title.

I'm just ready for a front office to be aggressive and a little newer school. Just my opinion though.

dgranger17
03-23-2012, 04:06 PM
I loved Bird the player and it's nice that we've had a good season this year. Still doesn't mean that Bird is above criticism. 1 winning lockout shortened season doesn't negate 5 consecutive years in the lotto.

He has done a decent job of building some depth to combat this compressed schedule this year. However this still isn't a roster that is a threat to win a title.

I'm just ready for a front office to be aggressive and a little newer school. Just my opinion though.

Tough for a small market team to be aggressive when they are over the cap for 3+ years.

Since86
03-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Tough for a small market team to be aggressive when they are over the cap for 3+ years.

Don't. Bother.

You're talking to a guy who blames Larry Bird for Donnie Walsh moves. It's a waste of energy.

Bball
03-23-2012, 07:06 PM
If Bird does leave, there’s momentum growing for Walsh to return to the Pacers with Miller.

I'm willing to accept Reggie coming into the front office in some capacity but for the love of everything sacred on this Earth let's not go back to Donnie Walsh in any capacity what-so-ever. His time is long, long, long past.

In fact, if this team really is having trouble with revenues let's tighten the reins and shrink our current FO and stay with Morway and Pritchard if Bird retires... or even just stick with one of them.

What's the fascination with a bloated front office with a star figure anyway?

Pacerized
03-24-2012, 09:10 AM
When Bird really decides to hang it up, it would be really nice if he'd give us a 2 year window and groom his successor. Let Larry take Reggie under his wing if that's the direction we want to go.

After watching Nash disect our team last night, I'd hope that excites Bird even more about free agency this summer. He could land Nash and Kaman in a perfect world. At least he could make a strong run for it.