PDA

View Full Version : Jamaal Tinsley Revives Career

90'sNBARocked
03-22-2012, 07:40 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-jamaal-tinsleys-successful-comeback

One year ago, Jamaal Tinsley was in LA Fitness doing two-a-days. He was training in Atlanta, preparing to make his comeback. It had been over a year since he had last played in the NBA, but he was only 33 years old. When he wasn’t working out, he would watch NBA games and see the same players that he used to run circles around.

“It was difficult, knowing you can still be out there and competing with the best of them,” Tinsley said. “I got up early every day and worked out. I did lots of shooting and lots of conditioning. I maintained a healthy diet and watched tons of basketball.”

After months of hard work and a stint with the Los Angeles D-Fenders of the NBA Development League, Tinsley made his way back onto a roster. He received interest from a number of teams, but ultimately signed a one-year-deal with the Utah Jazz.

This season, Tinsley has been a class act in Utah. He has emerged as a leader for the Jazz and has been extremely vocal with his young teammates. Al Jefferson gave him the nickname “The Voice” since he’s always yelling at the group during games and practices.

He has also led by example, showing up to training camp in excellent shape and accepting his role. He only appeared in 12 games prior to the All-Star break, but he remained professional and vocal. Tinsley cheered on his teammates and offered advice from the bench.

“There are some things you can’t control, but you can control staying in shape, eating healthy and producing when your number is called,” Tinsley said.

Since the All-Star break, Earl Watson has been sidelined with an ankle injury and Tinsley has stepped up in his absence. He is averaging 6.9 points and 4 assists in 16.4 minutes. When given the opportunity to start, he posted 9 points, 13 assists, 6 rebounds and 2 steals. As Tinsley believed last year, he still has plenty left in the tank and can contribute when given the opportunity.

“I’m playing with a group of guys who understand the game and they want to get better,” Tinsley said. “They make my job easy when I’m on the court.”

Utah has won four straight games and the team is playing well as they make a push for the eighth seed in the Western Conference. Tinsley has been effective backing up Devin Harris, providing a spark off the bench and displaying his tremendous court vision.

On Tuesday night, the Jazz defeated the Oklahoma City Thunder, 97-90. The highlight of the night was when Tinsley dribbled between Nazr Mohammad’s legs and knocked down an open jumper. The play electrified the home crowd and shifted the momentum in Utah’s favor.

“It was nice, but the win was even better,” Tinsley said.

Tinsley has become a significant contributor for the Jazz, who are just a half game out of the playoff picture in the West. This season, he has shown that he can still compete at this level. He belongs in an NBA arena, not in an LA Fitness gym.

I would take him right now, and he would be our best PG instantly. Yes burned bridges , bad blood etc, but people change, and they can turn their life around. Regardless of the past, I alwas LOVED his GAME. True PG . No doubt it wouldnt happen but I would look at him next year

Nuntius
03-22-2012, 07:45 PM
but people change, and they can turn their life around.

For this, I thank your post.

Brad8888
03-22-2012, 07:51 PM
I love the idea of the Good Jamaal. Yes, the good Jamaal is exactly who the team needs to initiate the offense. I just don't think that player exists at this point.

Otherwise, it is a good thing for him to be in Utah where he is less likely to be able to get into significant trouble.

As Jamaal always preferred to do pre-Jimmy when he had someone available in scoring position who he was not trying to freeze out, I would definitely pass.

idioteque
03-22-2012, 07:53 PM
Screw that, if Tinsley would have had his **** together here he would be a perfect PG for this team right now. My heart is supposed to be warmed because he is turning it around for some other team? Maybe if we had a better PG I would feel better about it, but with our PG struggles, **** you Tinsley. You could have been the man in Indy! Bah humbug!

TheDavisBrothers
03-22-2012, 08:19 PM
In the game he started, Steph Curry scored 29 points, had 5 reb, and 12 ast...

Mr_Smith
03-22-2012, 08:24 PM
Glad he's back playing...no hate coming from this way

2minutes twoa
03-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Congratulations for finally maturing at the age of 33!

PR07
03-22-2012, 11:44 PM
I'm glad he finally turned the corner. Wish it could've been like a decade sooner however.

Hibbert
03-22-2012, 11:56 PM
It wasn't immaturity with Tinsley, he simply stopped caring.

TheDavisBrothers
03-22-2012, 11:58 PM
It wasn't immaturity with Tinsley, he simply stopped caring.

Wouldn't the fact that he stopped caring, mean that he was immature?

Hibbert
03-23-2012, 12:01 AM
Wouldn't the fact that he stopped caring, mean that he was immature?

No.

Heisenberg
03-23-2012, 12:02 AM
I don't want this to read as being derogatory to Salt Lake City, but for a guy like him it's the perfect spot. No booze, no night life, just business.

TheDavisBrothers
03-23-2012, 12:07 AM
No.

Whatever, I'm all argued out tonight, agree to disagree...

Nuntius
03-23-2012, 12:27 AM
I don't want this to read as being derogatory to Salt Lake City, but for a guy like him it's the perfect spot. No booze, no night life, just business.

Why would anyone think that "no booze, no night life, just business" is derogatory to Salt Lake City?

TheDavisBrothers
03-23-2012, 12:33 AM
Why would anyone think that "no booze, no night life, just business" is derogatory to Salt Lake City?

I guess cuz it sounds like they are uptight and boring? (I don't want to get into a big Utah morals debate) :-p

Heisenberg
03-23-2012, 12:50 AM
I guess cuz it sounds like they are uptight and boring? (I don't want to get into a big Utah morals debate) :-pPretty much.

Pingu
03-23-2012, 01:45 AM
Screw that, if Tinsley would have had his **** together here he would be a perfect PG for this team right now. My heart is supposed to be warmed because he is turning it around for some other team? Maybe if we had a better PG I would feel better about it, but with our PG struggles, **** you Tinsley. You could have been the man in Indy! Bah humbug!

It's not like he suddenly turned into Jason Kidd or anything though. He's averaging 3.4 pts and 2.7 assists backing up Devin Harris...

The improvement is from pine-riding dustpan-wielding pouter to being a decent backup to a fairly crappy PG.

TheDavisBrothers
03-23-2012, 01:56 AM
It's not like he suddenly turned into Jason Kidd or anything though. He's averaging 3.4 pts and 2.7 assists backing up Devin Harris...

The improvement is from pine-riding dustpan-wielding pouter to being a decent backup to a fairly crappy PG.

If he got his act together in Indy and stayed in shape and focused on the game back then, who knows what he could have been like now? He could have been like our new, veteran Mark Jackson...

PaceBalls
03-23-2012, 02:00 AM

You can find this stuff anywhere if you look for it.

And also, screw Jamaal Tinsley.

Heisenberg
03-23-2012, 02:59 AM
You can find this stuff anywhere if you look for it.

And also, screw Jamaal Tinsley.
Lot easier to find when you don't have to look all that hard and it's what's expected of you.

Unclebuck
03-23-2012, 03:42 AM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-jamaal-tinsleys-successful-comeback

I would take him right now, and he would be our best PG instantly. Yes burned bridges , bad blood etc, but people change, and they can turn their life around. Regardless of the past, I alwas LOVED his GAME. True PG . No doubt it wouldnt happen but I would look at him next year

No thanks. I want no part of him. His defense was always bad he was just never as good as many in this forum believed.

docpaul
03-23-2012, 05:25 AM
No thanks. I want no part of him. His defense was always bad he was just never as good as many in this forum believed.

You mean, you actually measure the quality of a PG using other parameters besides "sick numbers of dimes"? :)

Justin Tyme
03-23-2012, 06:05 AM
3-22-012 Tinsley game stats:

6/3/8

What a waste of GOD given talent! I harbor no ill will, I prefer not to think about his former exploits, and hope he continues to play well. Never to be seen in a Pacers uni again!

The Pacers don't play the Jazz again, but my guess is he wouldn't have rec'd a warm welcome here in Indy. Maybe it's just for the best it worx out that way.

special ed
03-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Glad he's back playing...no hate coming from this wayYet you hate Dan Dakich???

Mr_Smith
03-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Yet you hate Dan Dakich???

You're comparing apples and oranges

Ragnar
03-23-2012, 03:49 PM
%&*%(*$%(*#%&$O*%&*&$&^$)^)%&($^*^%)^&

I(&*%(*&%(^&$(%($&$&*

thats all I can say right now!!

xIndyFan
03-23-2012, 04:14 PM
If he got his act together in Indy and stayed in shape and focused on the game back then, who knows what he could have been like now? He could have been like our new, veteran Mark Jackson...

no. once tins had been scapegoated, there was nothing that could be done. the fan base hated him. and no team can opperate when the fans hate your starting PG. timing is everything, and tinsley's timing in indy was bad.

TheDavisBrothers
03-23-2012, 04:17 PM
no. once tins had been scapegoated, there was nothing that could be done. the fan base hated him. and no team can opperate when the fans hate your starting PG. timing is everything, and tinsley's timing in indy was bad.

Odviously, I'm talking about before that, if he would have got is act together earlier, so that he wasn't scapegoated at all...

Dr. Awesome
03-23-2012, 04:19 PM
I feel sorry for Tinsley more than anything.

Legit, the guy could have been a Hall-of-Famer. He had some crazy skills, just not the desire. He has to go on knowing he wasted that talent.

However, I'm glad to hear he has turned the corner. No matter what he did here, it was never bad enough to hope bad things for him.

Justin Tyme
03-23-2012, 04:20 PM

I(&*%(*&%(^&$(%($&$&*

Now tell us how you really feel.

xIndyFan
03-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Odviously, I'm talking about before that, if he would have got is act together earlier, so that he wasn't scapegoated at all...

you may be right. i would like to think so. imo, tinsley was going to take the fall for ron-ron et al, no matter what. fans in indy need to blame someone for the teams failure no matter what. tinsley was not reggie and has a stoic game face. it is easy to go from stoic to 'doesn't care' in the fans mind. that and the jamaal is from NYC, anti-hip/hop/race issues all kind of piled up the create the mess.

DaveP63
03-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Glad he got it turned around.

TheDavisBrothers
03-23-2012, 04:55 PM
you may be right. i would like to think so. imo, tinsley was going to take the fall for ron-ron et al, no matter what. fans in indy need to blame someone for the teams failure no matter what. tinsley was not reggie and has a stoic game face. it is easy to go from stoic to 'doesn't care' in the fans mind. that and the jamaal is from NYC, anti-hip/hop/race issues all kind of piled up the create the mess.

Yea I would like to think so too... In the end it's all just speculation and what could have beens...

Mourning
03-23-2012, 06:01 PM

I(&*%(*&%(^&$(%($&$&*

:lol: I was waiting for you to drop in on this dime of a thread :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

MagicRat
03-23-2012, 06:13 PM
http://chaos.able-towers.com/~magicrat/tinsley.mp3

Bird Fan
03-24-2012, 12:46 AM
Tinsley looking good tonight.

DgR
03-24-2012, 11:08 AM
I definitely don't want him back. He was awesome when he was fit and on top of his game, but from what I can remember, more often than not he was in a suit, nursing an injury. That was my biggest issue with him, and it's not necessarily his fault, but the bottom line is that he could not be counted on, and that applies to both on and off the court.

Just a reminder of his games played since his Rookie season when he was young and limber. Now he's 33:
2001/02 - 80
2002/03 - 73
2003/04 - 52
2004/05 - 40
2005/06 - 42
2006/07 - 72
2007/08 - 39

joew8302
03-24-2012, 01:40 PM
After all of the yawning on the court, indifferent attitude and bad press he got the Pacers I find it tough to wish him well in his basketball endavors.

TJ Ford was much the same way in terms of play, but a true professional. I can respect a guy like this, but not Tinsley.

McKeyFan
03-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Numerous incidents with guns and strip clubs. Yeah, that has nothing to do with immaturity.

joew8302
03-24-2012, 02:04 PM
Numerous incidents with guns and strip clubs. Yeah, that has nothing to do with immaturity.

Not sure if you are joking or not, but I agree. I and everyone else have been immature at one time. That said I have never had issues with guns and behavior Tinsley has. Some stufff you can chalk up to immaturity, but other stuff has to fall under the category of stupidity.

Bball
03-24-2012, 03:37 PM
I'm glad to hear Tinsley has grown up some and found it within himself to resurrect his career. I hope he's able to continue to experience emotional growth and maintain a high level of play for as long as possible.

Just not in a Pacers uniform.

That bridge was burned and there should be a price to pay for that.

able
03-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Revisionist history at it's best of course, but who cares.

After all of the yawning on the court, indifferent attitude and bad press he got the Pacers I find it tough to wish him well in his basketball endavors.

TJ Ford was much the same way in terms of play, but a true professional. I can respect a guy like this, but not Tinsley.

Let's face reality; just a few seconds, yawning, indifferent? your interpretation of his body-language you undoubtedly watched from up close and personal at least 14 hours a day adn 300 days a year.

bad press he got the pacers? you mean the continuous referrals in the national (USA) press about the brawl? he started that now as well?

When you went on to say that TJ Ford was much the same player, I was dumbfounded, not sure how you ever got to that conclusion.

"numerous incidents with guns": whilst JT according to some remarks in the press had a license to carry a gun, he never used it, never had it on him and never got it out if he did have it on him.
There is NOT ONE incident with Tinsley waving guns, you are mistaking him here with Stephen Jackson, of the Shooting guard variety.

3 incidents,

1: He was present (like 5 other players and several Colts players) when Jackson started shooting on the parking of a club.
2: he went after someone trying to steal a coat, other players present including M. Daniels.
3: he got shot AT; because he made good money and drove a fancy car.
where people judge him for being out late, at a club etc.
He did not have a wife and children he left behind to do his clubbing
He did not rob anyone to buy his cars, he worked for it, hard.

He was made the scapegoat for all that was wrong, that is fine, but accept that for what it is, just like with the brawl, the PTB wanted someone to point a finger at and that someone had to be an easy target, like the Indiana Pacers, Tinsley was just that.

Stop hating him, he did not rob you, your kids or the state.
It was Larry that decided to teach him a lesson and make sure he never played again in the league and he did so with someone else's money, however JT made it back on a team and when he plays he delivers.
chapeau

Trader Joe
03-24-2012, 05:35 PM
Tinsley's talent was always there. Legitimately, maybe the best ball handler in the NBA from the day he was drafted and maybe one of the best ball handlers of all time, when he wanted to be he was maybe also the best passer. However, no one could ever waste talent quite like Jamaal and that will always be his legacy.

dal9
03-24-2012, 05:39 PM
There is NOT ONE incident with Tinsley waving guns, you are mistaking him here with Stephen Jackson, of the Shooting guard variety.

Not sure if the "Shooting guard" was meant as a joke, or if someone else had made that joke before, but very funny!

BlueNGold
03-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Congratulations for finally maturing at the age of 33!

That was one feel-good story. Don't bet on it.

vapacersfan
03-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Tinsley's talent was always there. Legitimately, maybe the best ball handler in the NBA from the day he was drafted and maybe one of the best ball handlers of all time, when he wanted to be he was maybe also the best passer. However, no one could ever waste talent quite like Jamaal and that will always be his legacy.

I hated that towards the end of his time in Indiana I never knew if his "ailments" were real or an excuse for whatever/whoever he was mad at (TPTB, coach, fans, teammates, etc)

I will say one thing. Since I first started following the NBA, he was one of my favorites to follow coming out of college. I think the one game his rookie year (versus Washington) with all those assists.....just a thing of beauty

cinotimz
03-24-2012, 11:25 PM
Revisionist history at it's best of course, but who cares.

Let's face reality; just a few seconds, yawning, indifferent? your interpretation of his body-language you undoubtedly watched from up close and personal at least 14 hours a day adn 300 days a year.

bad press he got the pacers? you mean the continuous referrals in the national (USA) press about the brawl? he started that now as well?

When you went on to say that TJ Ford was much the same player, I was dumbfounded, not sure how you ever got to that conclusion.

"numerous incidents with guns": whilst JT according to some remarks in the press had a license to carry a gun, he never used it, never had it on him and never got it out if he did have it on him.

3 incidents,

1: He was present (like 5 other players and several Colts players) when Jackson started shooting on the parking of a club.
2: he went after someone trying to steal a coat, other players present including M. Daniels.
3: he got shot AT; because he made good money and drove a fancy car.
where people judge him for being out late, at a club etc.
He did not have a wife and children he left behind to do his clubbing
He did not rob anyone to buy his cars, he worked for it, hard.

He was made the scapegoat for all that was wrong, that is fine, but accept that for what it is, just like with the brawl, the PTB wanted someone to point a finger at and that someone had to be an easy target, like the Indiana Pacers, Tinsley was just that.

Stop hating him, he did not rob you, your kids or the state.
It was Larry that decided to teach him a lesson and make sure he never played again in the league and he did so with someone else's money, however JT made it back on a team and when he plays he delivers.
chapeau

While some might certainly choose to debate certain aspects here...i did get a huge chuckle regarding the part where tinsley got his money by working for it...hard...

I think Tinsley had almost all of Pacers nation pulling for him from the very beginning...and after his first season or so, it was almost at a fever pitch...

Somehow he managed to alienate the vast majority of fans. And portraying him as some sort of victim in all of what took place is just a wee bit hard to swallow.

Nevertheless, its ancient history and there never was any denying his talents.

Now his work ethic and self-discipline....well...like i said...one cant help but chuckle...

Anthem
03-25-2012, 12:03 AM
Legit, the guy could have been a Hall-of-Famer. He had some crazy skills, just not the desire. He has to go on knowing he wasted that talent.
I don't think it's fair to say he didn't have the desire. I think the death of his mom messed him up pretty bad, and by the time he got through it was too late.

Indra
03-25-2012, 07:12 AM

Scapegoat? They found pot in his car, he was there at a nightclub when SJax shot off his gun in the parking lot, was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct, and was shot at in a drive-by shooting. Everything this idiot got he brought on himself by being a delinquent.

Timing had nothing to do with it. He spent too much time on the police blotter and not enough time in the gym. He had all the talent in the world, and instead this is how he chose to spend his prime years. Good riddance, and I feel no regret or sympathy for how his "career" panned out. He got out of it what he put into it, which is not much.

Edit: Forgot about the incident where the guy from his posse was arrested on an outstanding warrant from Georgia. Yeah, it's definitely our fault this guy washed out.

To quote another website, "So, in summary, the I*Heart*Celtics Plan for Success does not entail driving a sweet-*** Rolls-Royce around town at 2am with a huge posse, a dude on the lam, your hanger-on brother with a gun, to a nightclub in a town where you have had several dangerous altercations, WHILE AWAITING A FELONY CHARGE IN COURT IN ONE MONTH." This after the shootout in downtown Indianapolis leaving a team employee shot through both arms.

joew8302
03-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Scapegoat? They found pot in his car, he was there at a nightclub when SJax shot off his gun in the parking lot, was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct, and was shot at in a drive-by shooting. Everything this idiot got he brought on himself by being a delinquent.

Timing had nothing to do with it. He spent too much time on the police blotter and not enough time in the gym. He had all the talent in the world, and instead this is how he chose to spend his prime years. Good riddance, and I feel no regret or sympathy for how his "career" panned out. He got out of it what he put into it, which is not much.

Edit: Forgot about the incident where the guy from his posse was arrested on an outstanding warrant from Georgia. Yeah, it's definitely our fault this guy washed out.

To quote another website, "So, in summary, the I*Heart*Celtics Plan for Success does not entail driving a sweet-*** Rolls-Royce around town at 2am with a huge posse, a dude on the lam, your hanger-on brother with a gun, to a nightclub in a town where you have had several dangerous altercations, WHILE AWAITING A FELONY CHARGE IN COURT IN ONE MONTH." This after the shootout in downtown Indianapolis leaving a team employee shot through both arms.

If I could thank this post 1000 times I would. Tinsley, along with a few others, was a major reason for the collapse this organization had over the past five years. We read threads every year about how our attendance stinks. Well gee, guess what era and what players brought that on? It is amazing how some can be so forgiving of his stupidity.

Kuq_e_Zi91
03-25-2012, 11:22 AM
If I could thank this post 1000 times I would. Tinsley, along with a few others, was a major reason for the collapse this organization had over the past five years. We read threads every year about how our attendance stinks. Well gee, guess what era and what players brought that on? It is amazing how some can be so forgiving of his stupidity.

Was it the Murphleavy era?

able
03-25-2012, 11:30 AM

The inaccuracy in this post is synonymous with the feelings of hatred some of you display towards a man who has traveled a lot more miles to get where he is and he perhaps passed you along the way. Try walking in those shoes before you declare them to small.

jealousy may cleave, but not this hard.

You combine problems from other players and occurnces in one instance as seperate occasions, ridiculous.

90'sNBARocked
03-26-2012, 12:00 PM
I don't think it's fair to say he didn't have the desire. I think the death of his mom messed him up pretty bad, and by the time he got through it was too late.

Thank you very much. Unless you have personally dealt with the loss of your mother, at a young age (realtively speaking) you could not possibly no what it is like. I fear the day my mom goes and only pray to God I will be strong

This doesnt mean to give Jammal unlimited excuses, it just recognizes how difficult that must have been since, he never knew his father and was not married with a loving family, wife and kids

One thing some people dont understand is no matter how much money fame and fortune one has, it doesnt allow them to escape the pains in life we all go through

This is just meant for some perspective, and yes Tinsley did wrong at times, but I think he has a good heart and Im glad that he took his career serious enough to bust his hump to get back in the league at 33, when he has enough money to live out the rest of his life confortably. That says something to me

joew8302
03-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Thank you very much. Unless you have personally dealt with the loss of your mother, at a young age (realtively speaking) you could not possibly no what it is like. I fear the day my mom goes and only pray to God I will be strong

This doesnt mean to give Jammal unlimited excuses, it just recognizes how difficult that must have been since, he never knew his father and was not married with a loving family, wife and kids

One thing some people dont understand is no matter how much money fame and fortune one has, it doesnt allow them to escape the pains in life we all go through

This is just meant for some perspective, and yes Tinsley did wrong at times, but I think he has a good heart and Im glad that he took his career serious enough to bust his hump to get back in the league at 33, when he has enough money to live out the rest of his life confortably. That says something to me

No doubt about it that the death of a mother would be hard on a young person. There are plenty of young people who have delt with tagedy that chose a better path though. I have sympathy for his loss, but refuse to use that as an excuse for some of his mistakes.

able
03-26-2012, 12:47 PM
No doubt about it that the death of a mother would be hard on a young person. There are plenty of young people who have delt with tagedy that chose a better path though. I have sympathy for his loss, but refuse to use that as an excuse for some of his mistakes.

Afthe the path he had to walk already during his life to get where he was, from a 0 chance background and having the responsibility for the family once his mother passsed on, I seriously think you have no clue or are way to harsh if you cant give leeway for that.

90'sNBARocked
03-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Afthe the path he had to walk already during his life to get where he was, from a 0 chance background and having the responsibility for the family once his mother passsed on, I seriously think you have no clue or are way to harsh if you cant give leeway for that.

I agree, its like the old saying "You never know unless you walked a mile in that persons shoes

No one is saying he is exempt from criticism , but merly acknowledging how difficult a past he had and how much he has overcome to get where he got, and it was not easy to say the least

Indra
03-27-2012, 04:07 AM
The inaccuracy in this post is synonymous with the feelings of hatred some of you display towards a man who has traveled a lot more miles to get where he is and he perhaps passed you along the way. Try walking in those shoes before you declare them to small.

jealousy may cleave, but not this hard.

You combine problems from other players and occurnces in one instance as seperate occasions, ridiculous.

http://www.topix.com/forum/basketball-players/jamaal-tinsley/TDH3OF2UJ70O7SG0A

http://basketball.about.com/od/history/tp/nba-gun-suspensions.htm

http://www.shamsports.com/content/character/jamaaltinsley.htm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3147811

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/1937070/posts

What exactly in my post is inaccurate? ALL of these happened to/directly involved Jamaal Tinsley. I voraciously supported the Pacers during those times, and I still do, but I do not for a single second miss having those types of players on the team. I don't feel sorry for someone who makes those types of choices for themselves and has those consequences befall them.

He may be a changed man and I'm happy for him. But I don't feel sorry for the way his career turned out. He made the decisions as a grown man that put him in the situations he found himself in.

circlecitysportsfan
03-27-2012, 08:52 AM
The worst part of all this is you didn't see it coming when he first came into the league. After the first month of the season he was being talked about for rookie of the year. He had the starting pg spot for the rest of his career if he really wanted it. Like it or not if you mention his name to an average Indiana resident, they will either not know who he is or will call him a thug. This ties into the attendence issues, he was apart of a pacer era people are not going to ever forget.

Mac_Daddy
03-27-2012, 09:16 AM
I was always saddened to see such a promising point guard go the way he did. I hope he continues to get better. He was a perfect guy to replace Mark Jackson and showed a lot of flashes, but he could just never get his heart (and head) in the game.

cinotimz
03-27-2012, 09:23 AM
http://www.topix.com/forum/basketball-players/jamaal-tinsley/TDH3OF2UJ70O7SG0A

http://basketball.about.com/od/history/tp/nba-gun-suspensions.htm

http://www.shamsports.com/content/character/jamaaltinsley.htm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3147811

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/1937070/posts

What exactly in my post is inaccurate? ALL of these happened to/directly involved Jamaal Tinsley. I voraciously supported the Pacers during those times, and I still do, but I do not for a single second miss having those types of players on the team. I don't feel sorry for someone who makes those types of choices for themselves and has those consequences befall them.

He may be a changed man and I'm happy for him. But I don't feel sorry for the way his career turned out. He made the decisions as a grown man that put him in the situations he found himself in.

Million

Dollars

Its quite simply the worst value the Pacers have ever received from a player. That includes Austin Crosheres abomination of a contract and Jermaines max deal. 40 million dollars. And what did the team get for that 40 million?

Indra
03-27-2012, 03:21 PM

Million

Dollars

Its quite simply the worst value the Pacers have ever received from a player. That includes Austin Crosheres abomination of a contract and Jermaines max deal. 40 million dollars. And what did the team get for that 40 million?

More losses and disinterested, angry fans.

Naptown_Seth
03-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Was it the Murphleavy era?
Exactly.

At least people knew who Tinsley and Jackson were and at least they were on some winning teams.

The Murphleavy/JOB era of black plague was worse, total indifference even though the "thugs" were gone. More fans knew Jackson was having a great series with the Warriors than knew that Murphleavy had cost COY Carlisle his job.

Think about that. Just stay .500 with Jack getting booed, move Jax in the summer, move Al separately and this whole "thugs ruined it" thing is nothing compared to what it became.

Ironically the team gave into Tins as well on that deal (after getting rid of "problem" Jack). Remember that JOB was going to fix him because the reason Tinsley was struggling was because Rick was a bad "players coach" (ie, he expected you to play correctly or sit).

Hicks
03-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Exactly.

At least people knew who Tinsley and Jackson were and at least they were on some winning teams.

The Murphleavy/JOB era of black plague was worse, total indifference even though the "thugs" were gone. More fans knew Jackson was having a great series with the Warriors than knew that Murphleavy had cost COY Carlisle his job.

Think about that. Just stay .500 with Jack getting booed, move Jax in the summer, move Al separately and this whole "thugs ruined it" thing is nothing compared to what it became.

Except for the part where major sponsor(s) pull out by keeping Jackson, sure.