PDA

View Full Version : Pacers sign Fesenko

Hypnotiq
03-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Sam Amick ‏ @sam_amick Reply Retweet Favorite Open
Free agent center Kyrylo Fesenko is signing with Indiana through the end of the season, a source tells http://SI.com.

:dance:

MiaDragon
03-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Wow, good job Larry! I honestly did not see us doing anything.

Kstat
03-22-2012, 05:38 PM
I think he'll actually have a more positive impact than Barbosa. He serves the dual purpose of bolstering the defensive interior, and allowing Hibbert longer rests.

This assumes he's in shape.

Nuntius
03-22-2012, 05:43 PM
Please, let this be true :pray:

I'll be overjoyed if we do this. I really believe that this guy deserves another shot and having this shot in Indiana will make me extremely glad.

Also, I'll start considering myself lucky since we announced that on the day I made the thread about him :p

idioteque
03-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Haha, wow is Larry reading PD? I honestly thought this was a joke thread at first.

McKeyFan
03-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Somebody on here was lobbying hard for Fesenko before the season started.

BringJackBack
03-22-2012, 05:48 PM

I'll be overjoyed if we do this. I really believe that this guy deserves another shot and having this shot in Indiana will make me extremely glad.

Also, I'll start considering myself lucky since we announced that on the day I made the thread about him :p

Now, do you think that he has an opportunity to become a piece of this team? If he's a defensive anchor off the bench, we should surely keep him around, right?

Heisenberg
03-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Surprised. Didn't think he was healthy. Hope he is.

He's at the very least a fun personality.

Nuntius
03-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Now, do you think that he has an opportunity to become a piece of this team? If he's a defensive anchor off the bench, we should surely keep him around, right?

If he succeeds as a defensive anchor off the bench, then sure.

Kemo
03-22-2012, 05:52 PM
no ****** ?!?

NICE FREAKIN' SIGNING LARRY!

Good call Nuntius...

AusPACER
03-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Its been a while since we made a move that I wasn't really happy about. Great stuff Larry!!

Heisenberg
Says we went "significantly above" the vet's minimum.

TheDon
we need to bring back MagicRat's Larry Bird as Einstein photoshop for this one

idioteque
03-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Hopefully he can knock Rose on his *** in the playoffs.

BrownBearCoffee
03-22-2012, 05:54 PM
A healthy Fesenko provides a ton of potential, the least not being Lou at the 4 and Fesenko at the 5 for stretches; the defensive potential in that frontline is :plot:

TMJ31
03-22-2012, 05:55 PM
Am I the only person who's never heard of this guy?

LoneGranger33

I stopped asking for players after the Pacers signed Travis Diener and Kareem Rush.

Nuntius
Says we went "significantly above" the vet's minimum.

Yup, read that as well. If it's a one year contract then it doesn't affect us at all. It only affects Simon and Kyrylo.

Heisenberg
03-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Yup, read that as well. If it's a one year contract then it doesn't affect us at all. It only affects Simon and Kyrylo.Right, fine with me, ain't my money

pizza guy
03-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Good deal. I am excited for the rest of this year and the playoffs.

Pacerfan
03-22-2012, 06:00 PM
Sam Amick ‏ @sam_amick Close
Because of Pacers' cap room, they went significantly above veteran's minimum salary. Former Utah big man had considered Boston as well.

Boston must hate us...first West and now Fesenko. :laugh:

Heisenberg
03-22-2012, 06:01 PM
So anyone know where he is? When can we expect him?

CJ Jones
03-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Good call Nuntius.

This is a good move. Amundson should keep his spot for now though IMO. When Tyler struggles I wouldn't mind seeing Lou at the 4 some.

Nuntius
03-22-2012, 06:07 PM
This is a good move. Amundson should keep his spot for now though IMO. When Tyler struggles I wouldn't mind seeing Lou at the 4 some.

100% agree :D

Swingman
03-22-2012, 06:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLaQP7lpNi4

Taller version of Bruce Bowen? (ie dirty defender)

CreekShow
03-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Nice pick up. Havent really seen much of him but he looks like he can hoop. The bench (even if its only for a year) is finally getting as deep as we thought itd be.

Nuntius
03-22-2012, 06:15 PM
So anyone know where he is? When can we expect him?

At Denver I think.

Justin Tyme
03-22-2012, 06:19 PM
I really wondered if Bird was going to sit on his hands and do nothing. Getting Fesenko leads me to believe that during the trade deadline Foster hadn't told Bird of his decision to retire.

LetsTalkPacers
03-22-2012, 06:23 PM
He heard me. Thank you Larry!

QuickRelease
03-22-2012, 06:23 PM
A healthy Fesenko provides a ton of potential, the least not being Lou at the 4 and Fesenko at the 5 for stretches; the defensive potential in that frontline is :plot:
The offensive output of that frontline is :zip:

graphic-er
03-22-2012, 06:36 PM
I've been calling for this since December! I question why we haven't signed him earlier!

Great Pick up. Bird show some good GM skills lately. We will advance to the 2nd round. I'm calling it.

mikeyism
03-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Not bad, here is his ESPN scouting report

+ Enormous center whose size makes him a major defensive presence.

+ Hugely foul-prone and mistake-prone offensively. Horrid foul shooter.

+ Professionalism needs improvement. Also struggles to finish around rim.

The best-kept secret in the NBA right now is Fesenko's monstrous defensive stats. It's not that one or two metrics point out his defensive value; it's that all of them do, without any pointing to the contrary.

Last season the Jazz were an eye-popping 11.91 points per 100 possessions better on defense with Fesenko on the floor, and this is not a new trend. The season before it was 8.67; in limited minutes his first two seasons he also had a strong differential.

Synergy Stats, meanwhile, rated Fesenko as the second-best defender in the entire league among players who faced at least 150 opponent plays; the season before he was first. And according to 82games.com, opposing centers had a PER of just 10.4 against him; the season before it was 12.9.

Despite his size, Fesenko doesn't block a ton of shots or dominate the boards. He just uglies up the game for opponents with his sheer hugeness, especially since he moves his feet fairly well for his size. And he can still get better -- he wasn't always fully engaged in Utah and needs to step up his commitment.

Now for the bad news. Fesenko has been fairly disastrous offensively. He tends to bring balls back into shot-blockers when finishing at the rim, he's a 39.8 percent career foul shooter, he's clumsy, and he has no shooting range or ball skills.

Additionally, his towering foul rate limits his impact -- Fesenko commits one every 4.94 minutes for his career, making it virtually impossible for him to play extended minutes. Nonetheless, he can be a very effective, low-cost backup center, and if he can make a few more plays offensively he'll have real value.

Mono
03-22-2012, 06:55 PM
Fesenko is a loveable brute. He has tremendous strength, and in a strange way, from what I have observed, his high foul rate benefits his defense. Once he clobbers the offensive player once or twice, they tend to play with hesitation, if not fear, and they stay on the perimeter. I doubt it's what Fesenko intends, but that's the way it is. I've seen this happen dozens and dozens of times. It's one of the major reasons why his defensive numbers are so gaudy.

On offense, he shows flashes of brilliance, and flashes of terribleness. There's little in-between. I love him as a player, but he's a kind of well-intentioned brute. I think there's some charm in that.

He's one of my favorite NBA underdogs, and I'm psyched to see him join the Pacers.

gummy
03-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Huh. I wanted Kaman above all, but I wondered about Fesenko. Figured he has enough value that someone would have signed him by now unless something was wrong with him physically.

Hopefully I was wrong and he's ready to go. Much like I advocated when pushing for Kaman, I wouldn't mind Lou taking some of Tyler's minutes, especially if he shows after the first 10 or so that he doesn't have it - you can pretty much tell which Tyler you've got for the night by then. If Fesenko is ready we can do just that.

beast23
03-22-2012, 07:23 PM

All right, all right. You got your guy. Nice job. Now, can you do an old guy a favor and start a thread about Kirk Hinrich?

vnzla81
03-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Not bad, he is not going to do much but it's nice to have a backup center, hopefully he is healthy and is not back to his 340+ pounds of few years ago, at least we got one of the fat guys I think :D

BlueNGold
03-22-2012, 07:29 PM
With Barbosa adding offense to the second unit and Fesenko being an anchor in the middle on defense, we are going to have a much tougher bench. The Pacers needed some size and they finally got some.

Nuntius
03-22-2012, 07:30 PM
All right, all right. You got your guy. Nice job. Now, can you do an old guy a favor and start a thread about Kirk Hinrich?

Sure. I'll do it right after the game :D

cdash
03-22-2012, 07:30 PM
Man reading this thread you would think we had just signed an All-Star or something. Temper the enthusiasm, fellers. It's a good signing to be sure, but I'm not sure this changes the dynamic of our team at all.

vnzla81
03-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Man reading this thread you would think we had just signed an All-Star or something. Temper the enthusiasm, fellers. It's a good signing to be sure, but I'm not sure this changes the dynamic of our team at all.

Yep you are right about that.

2minutes twoa
03-22-2012, 07:50 PM

Who invited Buzzkillington? :)

BlueNGold
03-22-2012, 07:59 PM

I suspect you are right, but did you read about his impact on Utah's defense? Their defense is 10 points better with him in the game. I think the Pacers lack a space eater type of player who will help our perimeter defense. Roy is good, but he doesn't have that physical attribute. Tyler is too short. Lou is ok, but he's really not tall either and he's lean.

Still, my expectations are low. I just understand the right piece isn't necessarily the most talented one.

Nuntius
03-22-2012, 08:03 PM

I'm just excited that my favorite team is giving a player I like a chance :D

cdash
03-22-2012, 08:11 PM
I like Fesenko too--I just don't expect much out of him. I will say that out of the options available, he was my favorite of the bunch. Keep Foster as a special consultant and have him teach Fesenko how to be a bad ***.

sportfireman
03-22-2012, 08:16 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b9D2PQdRPiw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PR07
03-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Really nice signing. It's nice to have an actual center off the bench, especially one that can play defense.

Pacers4Life
03-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Nobody told me he is white! Our white to black ratio has done a complete 180 in 3 years.. I don't find it coincidental that our record is where it is because of this either.

All jokes aside (was that a joke?) I think this is better than Eddie gill, Kareem rush, maceo baston, luther head, and Travis diener combined. That's gotta count for something right?

Shade
03-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Solid pick-up.

Am I the only one who thinks he looks a little like Smits?

Nuntius
03-22-2012, 08:43 PM
I like Fesenko too--I just don't expect much out of him. I will say that out of the options available, he was my favorite of the bunch. Keep Foster as a special consultant and have him teach Fesenko how to be a bad ***.

I just expect Fesenko to play solid D and cover our hoop with his massive size. That's not a lot to expect :)

Solid pick-up.

I recall someone saying this right around the deadline.

Hicks
03-22-2012, 08:44 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b9D2PQdRPiw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow. He is HUGE!

spreedom
03-22-2012, 08:47 PM
I'd be very interested to know how much we offered him and if there's an option to bring him back next year.

Justin Tyme
03-22-2012, 08:50 PM

I hear you, but what it does is give the Pacers a "BIG" to play against Howard. He brings physicalness and 6 fouls if necessary. A BIG to combat a BIG at times. Anything more is just whipped cream and a cherry on top.

Plus it keeps him off your competitions team.

ilive4sports
03-22-2012, 08:51 PM
****ing larry bird making another good signing how are we supposed to ***** about you for making us to damn thin in the front court knowing we couldn't count of Foster. son of a ***** Larry.

/green

good pick up, always nice to have another big guy. he will come in handy in the playoffs

MrPreGame
03-22-2012, 09:05 PM
Does anybody else think this guy is the perfect big to go against Roy in practice? I'd tell him to just beat Roy up in scrimmages. With those two banging in the post Roy would have no choice but to refine more of his finesse moves, and hopefully learn how to throw his own weight around more.

BringJackBack
03-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Plus, having Fes could really benefit Roy Hibbert because he's always needed a defender like him to consistently practice against.

BringJackBack
03-22-2012, 09:10 PM
Does anybody else think this guy is the perfect big to go against Roy in practice? I'd tell him to just beat Roy up in scrimmages. With those two banging in the post Roy would have no choice but to refine more of his finesse moves, and hopefully learn how to throw his own weight around more.

Well we definitely thought the same thing at the same time. :laugh:

DEEman
03-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Get yourself some tissues Noah...

pizza guy
03-22-2012, 09:27 PM
I'd like to see Roy and Fesenko on the court together for short periods of time. Mostly in defensive situations. That'd make it pretty tough to get to the rim.

Lance George
03-22-2012, 09:48 PM
I was kind of underwhelmed by this singing until I read mickeyism's post. I'm sick and tired of seeing Hibbert get pushed around when we play physical teams like Chicago. Fesenko sounds like the Big Nasty ******* we've badly needed for a while now. Roy's new bodyguard.

MaHa3000
03-22-2012, 09:49 PM
Dude is GOOFY(Can't wait for post game interviews). He and Hibbert should hit it off right away.
And he comes with a nickname attached. Fes!!!!!
Got pick up.

MagicRat
03-22-2012, 09:55 PM
we need to bring back MagicRat's Larry Bird as Einstein photoshop for this one

http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/larrygenius2.jpg

http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/larrygenius1.jpg

BoomBaby33
03-22-2012, 09:56 PM
Not bad, here is his ESPN scouting report

+ Enormous center whose size makes him a major defensive presence.

+ Hugely foul-prone and mistake-prone offensively. Horrid foul shooter.

+ Professionalism needs improvement. Also struggles to finish around rim.

The best-kept secret in the NBA right now is Fesenko's monstrous defensive stats. It's not that one or two metrics point out his defensive value; it's that all of them do, without any pointing to the contrary.

Last season the Jazz were an eye-popping 11.91 points per 100 possessions better on defense with Fesenko on the floor, and this is not a new trend. The season before it was 8.67; in limited minutes his first two seasons he also had a strong differential.

Synergy Stats, meanwhile, rated Fesenko as the second-best defender in the entire league among players who faced at least 150 opponent plays; the season before he was first. And according to 82games.com, opposing centers had a PER of just 10.4 against him; the season before it was 12.9.

Despite his size, Fesenko doesn't block a ton of shots or dominate the boards. He just uglies up the game for opponents with his sheer hugeness, especially since he moves his feet fairly well for his size. And he can still get better -- he wasn't always fully engaged in Utah and needs to step up his commitment.

Now for the bad news. Fesenko has been fairly disastrous offensively. He tends to bring balls back into shot-blockers when finishing at the rim, he's a 39.8 percent career foul shooter, he's clumsy, and he has no shooting range or ball skills.

Additionally, his towering foul rate limits his impact -- Fesenko commits one every 4.94 minutes for his career, making it virtually impossible for him to play extended minutes. Nonetheless, he can be a very effective, low-cost backup center, and if he can make a few more plays offensively he'll have real value.

Sounds like the second coming of David Harrison. Just kidding. ;):D

Actually i really like this signing, just the kind of defensive presence in the middle to greet Derrick Rose coming into the lane in the playoffs.

Way to go Larry!

Go Pacers!

MagicRat
03-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Larry told you things would be just fine if you used a little patience......
http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/birdpatience.jpg

Hicks
03-22-2012, 10:45 PM

That's the positive side of the coin... the negative being the threat of injuring Roy by being too physical or even just landing awkwardly on Roy's legs or something. :shudder:

vnzla81
03-22-2012, 10:53 PM
I'd like to see Roy and Fesenko on the court together for short periods of time. Mostly in defensive situations. That'd make it pretty tough to get to the rim.

Roy and Fesenko together? I hope Frank is not crazy to try that, Roy is Usain Bolt compared to Fesenko, he is the second slowest player in the NBA after Oden with crunches.

jeffg-body
03-22-2012, 10:56 PM
He's not the answer on his own, but we need an extra big that can body up the larger Centers in the league. It was a concern before JF retired, and post retirment we needed a big badly. A lot of raw talent there but maturity issues and free throw shooting. I don't see him finishing off games but he's gonna give 5-15 minutes a night putting his big body on opposing centers and giving Roy some extra rest time during the game. If we are able, I think even another big would be nice.

docpaul
03-22-2012, 10:59 PM
I've been wanting to see this guy on our team since the offseason, and thought he could be a really, really nice complement to Hansbrough, especially when Hansbrough's hitting that mid range J.

Man, that second team is going to **** a lot of people off.

Heisenberg
03-22-2012, 11:01 PM
It's a solid signing, and I know expectations are already low and he's not exactly a rotation guy, but just remember he's coming off a torn knee ligament and hasn't played in a game since last September and has had conditioning issues in the past.

Hibbert
03-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Roy and Fesenko together? I hope Frank is not crazy to try that, Roy is Usain Bolt compared to Fesenko, he is the second slowest player in the NBA after Oden with crunches.

For his size he is actually not slow at all unless his injury slowed him down a little. Eric Dampier, Kendrick Perkins, Eddie Curry, Brad Miller, and Aaron Gray are all slower than this kid, just to name a few.

Nuntius
03-22-2012, 11:09 PM

Fesenko is faster than Hibbert. If Fesenko was slow he wouldn't be a good pick and roll defender. For his size, he has good speed.

vnzla81
03-22-2012, 11:12 PM
Fesenko is faster than Hibbert. If Fesenko was slow he wouldn't be a good pick and roll defender. For his size, he has good speed.

Let's just wait and watch and if he is as big as he was few years ago he is going to be slower,either way my point is that I don't want to see those two together they are too slow.

MillerTime
03-22-2012, 11:15 PM
Wow. He is HUGE!

:twss:

ESPN just reported it also:

The Indiana Pacers are signing free-agent center Kyrylo Fesenko to a rest-of-the-season contract, according to sources with knowledge of the deal.

The Golden State Warriors and Fesenko mutually canceled their plans in December to finalize a one-year deal worth just under $1.1 million, partly because Fesenko needed additional time to get into game shape after September knee surgery.

Fesenko was also courted heavily by the Dallas Mavericks in December but remained unsigned until this week, when he received strong interest from Boston and Indiana.

The 7-foot-1, 290-pounder ultimately decided to choose the Pacers, who announced Thursday that veteran big man Jeff Foster is retiring because of persistent back trouble. The deal is scheduled to be finalized Friday, sources said.

The Celtics responded by landing center Ryan Hollins, who was waived by Cleveland after the trade deadline. Coach Doc Rivers confirmed the move, but the signing won't be official until the team makes a corresponding roster move.

Fesenko was injured playing for Mike Fratello-coached Ukraine during the European Championships late in the summer. He played sparingly in four seasons with the Utah Jazz after being taken in the second round of the 2007 NBA draft.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7725054/indiana-pacers-ink-kyrylo-fesenko-rest-year-sources-say

Nuntius
Let's just wait and watch and if he is as big as he was few years ago he is going to be slower,either way my point is that I don't want to see those two together they are too slow.

I insist that Fes is faster than Hibby but I wouldn't want to see the two on the court together either. Mainly because either of them would create a miss match at the PF.

Hey, we finally have 2 7 footers on our team :D

By the way, my ideal frontline for defensive purposes would be Lou at the 4 and Fes at the 5. No drives allowed :D

5_7_Clash
Maybe its just me but slap a blonde mullet on this guy and...

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nba/players/full/3205.png&w=350&h=254

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/hoedogy/Autographs/RikSmits.jpg

TheDavisBrothers
03-22-2012, 11:17 PM

I agree, while Fesenko may have decent speed for a C his size, it doesn't mean I want him at PF...

Edit: Realized this is post #666 :devil:

vnzla81
03-22-2012, 11:21 PM
By the way I like the signing, I liked the guy in Utah and I remember him doing some damage againts the Lakers(if I remember correctly) I still don't see him playing that much though.

5_7_Clash
03-22-2012, 11:22 PM
I agree, while Fesenko may have decent speed for a C his size, it doesn't mean I want him at PF...

Especially considering he's... oh... not a power forward. At all. Tyler and Lou will do just fine.

TheDavisBrothers
03-22-2012, 11:26 PM
I insist that Fes is faster than Hibby but I wouldn't want to see the two on the court together either. Mainly because either of them would create a miss match at the PF.

Hey, we finally have 2 7 footers on our team :D

By the way, my ideal frontline for defensive purposes would be Lou at the 4 and Fes at the 5. No drives allowed :D

Yea Lou and Fesenko would be brutal!

Anthem
03-22-2012, 11:28 PM
That's some serious beef in the frontcourt. Put Granger with the second unit (which we've been doing a lot recently) and run Hill / Barbosa in the backcourt, and that will be a fun unit to watch.

Nuntius
03-22-2012, 11:33 PM

Yup, yup, yup. Offensively, it would be horrible but defensively it would be :drool:

vnzla81
03-22-2012, 11:34 PM
By the way I know nobody has mentioned this yet but Finally Larry brought some international flavor to the Pacers, Barbosa and Fesenko help the Pacers a bit on this area, we haven't had anybody from another country in a long time.

Nuntius
03-22-2012, 11:36 PM
By the way I know nobody has mentioned this yet but Finally Larry brought some international flavor to the Pacers, Barbosa and Fesenko help the Pacers a bit on this area, we haven't had anybody from another country in a long time.

Good point. I'm also happy to see this :)

Heisenberg
03-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Big Roy's Jamaican...sorta. And Rush is being considered for honorary citizenship.

Dgreenwell3
03-22-2012, 11:53 PM
And Rush is being considered for honorary citizenship.

For his second job as a rastafari?

Derek2k3
03-22-2012, 11:59 PM
By the way I like the signing, I liked the guy in Utah and I remember him doing some damage againts the Lakers(if I remember correctly) I still don't see him playing that much though.

This is what I'm thinking. What is he going to get, 5 mpg?

I'm a big Fes fan, he's great defensively, but I don't know where the minutes are coming from.

1/2/3
DC/GH/AJ
PG/LB/LS
DG/DJ
DW/TH/LA
RH/LA/KF

The way Lou has played, does he lose minutes? If not, then Fes is the 6th option in the front court.

I do think he'll be invaluable in the playoffs against Dwight/Kim Noah/Omer Asik. Just don't see the minutes being available, especially with Lou being so effective in the backup role.

Never hurts to have insurance though. I can't wait until the first time he lays out Rose/Boozer/Noah.

Peck
03-23-2012, 12:05 AM

Does this really even matter?

Peck
03-23-2012, 12:08 AM
I'm not sure what to think about this signing.

On the one hand he looks legit and could help.

On the other hand I really like Lou and do not want to see him be relegated to a bench player who does not play.

I know you guys just won't accept it but Frank is only playing him at the 5. There have been so many opprotunities to play him at the 4 and he just will not do it.

So I have a feeling that Lou will get most of the time for then next couple of weeks but after that I think it depends on how well Fesenko adapts to the team.

Nuntius
03-23-2012, 12:08 AM

It matters when it comes to a team getting attention from international fans.

Peck
03-23-2012, 12:09 AM
It matters when it comes to a team getting attention from international fans.

Why?

TheDavisBrothers
03-23-2012, 12:09 AM

I'm a big Fes fan, he's great defensively, but I don't know where the minutes are coming from.

1/2/3
DC/GH/AJ
PG/LB/LS
DG/DJ
DW/TH/LA
RH/LA/KF

The way Lou has played, does he lose minutes? If not, then Fes is the 6th option in the front court.

I do think he'll be invaluable in the playoffs against Dwight/Kim Noah/Omer Asik. Just don't see the minutes being available, especially with Lou being so effective in the backup role.

Never hurts to have insurance though. I can't wait until the first time he lays out Rose/Boozer/Noah.

Just nitpicking but unless you are counting Lou as 2 people or think Pendergraph would be ahead of Fensenko (personally I would hope he isn't), wouldn't Fensenko be the 5th big man option?

Nuntius
03-23-2012, 12:12 AM

I think that he will play in those stretches we see West and Tyler together. Neither of them is a Center or strong enough defensively.

TheDavisBrothers
03-23-2012, 12:12 AM
Oh great! An ethnicity discussion... :(

Nuntius
03-23-2012, 12:14 AM
Why?

People like to root for their guys who play in the NBA :)

Nuntius
03-23-2012, 12:16 AM
Oh great! An ethnicity discussion... :(

Nah, nothing like this. It's just normal for people from abroad who watch the NBA to also root for the guy that comes from their area.

If you think about it, it's the same with people here rooting for Eric Gordon or Greg Oden :)

Derek2k3
03-23-2012, 12:17 AM
Just nitpicking but unless you are counting Lou as 2 people or think Pendergraph would be ahead of Fensenko (personally I would hope he isn't), wouldn't Fensenko be the 5th big man option?

Ah, derp. My bad.

I meant that he was the third option at the 5, behind Roy/Lou.

Good catch. And I just assume we can't count on Pendy for anything, otherwise we would have seen him.

Pingu
03-23-2012, 12:17 AM
How are his celebration skills?

TheDavisBrothers
03-23-2012, 12:24 AM
Nah, nothing like this. It's just normal for people from abroad who watch the NBA to also root for the guy that comes from their area.

If you think about it, it's the same with people here rooting for Eric Gordon or Greg Oden :)

I agree, I'll admit to rooting for Lin because I'm Asian, and rooting for U of Iowa players, and Iowans in general! :p I just don't want another long debate, as I said in another thread, I'm all argued out tonight...

Nuntius
03-23-2012, 12:29 AM
How are his celebration skills?

He certainly knows how to dance :D

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9DIyqCq2RXc?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9DIyqCq2RXc?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Nuntius
03-23-2012, 12:30 AM
I just don't want another long debate, as I said in another thread, I'm all argued out tonight...

Yeah, I agree with this. Sorry for contributing on you being all argued out tonight :p

immortality
03-23-2012, 12:33 AM

Yea it is nice, he might still be hesitant after the failure that was Sarnaus.

rexnom
03-23-2012, 12:43 AM
Well, we needed another big. At the very least, we have another center in case Roy gets injured or something like that.

Pacemaker
03-23-2012, 01:13 AM
He certainly knows how to dance :D

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9DIyqCq2RXc?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9DIyqCq2RXc?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Joakim is not going to like this! :devil:

Nuntius
03-23-2012, 01:16 AM

Nope. Not at all.

Irrelevant note: Is there a reason that every guy we have signed this season (except D West) has been in a fight with Kobe? :D

TheDavisBrothers
03-23-2012, 01:24 AM

Derrick Rose: I'll never forget how they celebrated just for posting this clip!

Infinite MAN_force
03-23-2012, 01:34 AM

On the other hand I really like Lou and do not want to see him be relegated to a bench player who does not play.

The Lou vs. Fesenko decision should be made mostly by match ups. I imagine Lou will continue to play against smaller backups and Fesenko will get in against the big centers. If we are up against a team with a big dominant center and Roy is in foul trouble, we are gonna want this guy around. We would have had no answer previously.

Classic "good problem to have".

Infinite MAN_force
03-23-2012, 01:38 AM
Why?

Ever paid attention to a player on another team because they had Indiana ties? Like high school or college? If you don't, you certainly wont deny how many people around here do. *cough* Eric Gordon.

Why would it be any different anywhere else?

Justin Tyme
03-23-2012, 05:10 AM

Better yet McBob. Prime example.

McKeyFan
03-23-2012, 05:38 AM
Nobody told me he is white!

Yeah, who would have known? We also signed a Chinese guy name Strzckinskyberg.

McKeyFan
03-23-2012, 05:43 AM
http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/larrygenius1.jpg

The "genius" to this posting is that you used the most non-genius looking Larry Bird pick you could find. Well done.

31andonly
03-23-2012, 06:00 AM
Ever paid attention to a player on another team because they had Indiana ties? Like high school or college? If you don't, you certainly wont deny how many people around here do. *cough* Eric Gordon.

Why would it be any different anywhere else?

Coming from Germany and having experienced the Dallas Mavericks fanbase explosion, I can only agree with you.

People from Brazil and Ukraine will start following the Pacers.

McKeyFan
03-23-2012, 06:36 AM
Somebody on here was lobbying hard for Fesenko before the season started.
Who was it? Nuntius?

idioteque
03-23-2012, 06:41 AM
Coming from Germany and having experienced the Dallas Mavericks fanbase explosion, I can only agree with you.

Dirk I can understand, but you really think people from Ukraine will stay up late to watch the Pacers when the chances of their guy even getting in the game, assuming we are healthy, is pretty slim? If so that is some real dedication.

Rogco
03-23-2012, 07:11 AM
Best part about this:

He choose the Pacers over Boston, who are now looking to sign Ryan Hollins! ha ha ha, suck on that, Boston!

I think we play Boston April 7th. I know I'm jumping the gun, but can we get an Area 55 chant about how everyone would rather play for the Pacers??

pacers74
03-23-2012, 07:22 AM
This can only be a good thing. We need more size. I love the way Lou plays, but he can't play against legit centers. West and Tyler can't either, so that left us with only Roy. Now we at least have a big body to throw out there. He also seems like he has a great personality that will help him fit in right away too.

Sherlock
03-23-2012, 07:32 AM
People here are getting too excited.

Chances are, he might as well play less minutes than Pendagraph, or Lance does for the rest of the season.

pacers74
03-23-2012, 07:41 AM
People here are getting too excited.

Chances are, he might as well play less minutes than Pendagraph, or Lance does for the rest of the season.

He will get time when the match up dictates it. I don't think anyone on here is thinking he is going to play 20 minutes a game. He will get in to bang against other teams centers. Lou is too small to guard legit centers.

TinManJoshua
03-23-2012, 07:52 AM

Exactly. Like in soccer, I root for teams with an American on them: Chievo Verona, RSC Anderlecht, Rangers FC, etc.

LetsTalkPacers
03-23-2012, 08:10 AM
The "genius" to this posting is that you used the most non-genius looking Larry Bird pick you could find. Well done.

Maybe he is like Rain Man genius

PR07
03-23-2012, 08:27 AM
It's not just matchups either. This frontcourt was one injury or one Hibbert foul trouble outing from getting pretty thin. Having a big bruiser in there should help against the Chicago's, Orlando's, and Miami's come playoff time.

It also wouldn't surprise me if the Pacers try to limit West's minutes a bit down the stretch to keep that knee spry for the playoffs. Fesenko could eat some of those minutes.

owl
03-23-2012, 08:57 AM
Large with a loooonnnggg wingspan. He will not get backed down as easily as Roy and
a 9'4" reach is good. Harrison had the size but really short arms and reach.
Just putting those arms up is good defense.

Since86
03-23-2012, 09:00 AM
I just hope he can be the Pacers version of Omar Asik. He doesn't impact the game statistically, but my goodness is he important for the Bulls.

joeyd
03-23-2012, 09:10 AM

I know you guys just won't accept it but Frank is only playing him at the 5. There have been so many opprotunities to play him at the 4 and he just will not do it.

So I have a feeling that Lou will get most of the time for then next couple of weeks but after that I think it depends on how well Fesenko adapts to the team.

I don't know either, but am leaning toward liking the signing. I think if people work with him, we can get some mileage out of the guy. At least now Frank has another good option if we hit the third quarter and Lou is playing with 4 fouls. Vogel has opted to leave Lou in under those circumstances, especially if Roy is also in foul trouble. Now Frank has another option and can save Lou for crunch time if Roy is MIA.

This guy does look like a loveable brute, but if we end up keeping him, I would grow impatient and be extremely disappointed if he does not improve his FT percentage. There is absolutely no reason why a player cannot make it to 50% with practice and discipline. I'm hoping he'll get the tutelage and discipline from our coaches and hopefully Foster if he sticks around in some capacity.

From what I've seen of the guy, he can make a boneheaded mistake on offense but follow it up with a play that makes you think that this guy ranks among the best players in regard to court vision. His highlight reel clearly shows him passing and relinquishing the ball in traffic, something not all of our players do. I look forward to seeing what he can do for us.

Hicks
03-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Best part about this:

He choose the Pacers over Boston, who are now looking to sign Ryan Hollins! ha ha ha, suck on that, Boston!

I think we play Boston April 7th. I know I'm jumping the gun, but can we get an Area 55 chant about how everyone would rather play for the Pacers??

To the tune of "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow"

They'd rather play for the Pacers!
Which nobody can deny!

Nuntius
03-23-2012, 09:15 AM
Who was it? Nuntius?

I wasn't there before the season started. I think it was graphic-er.

This can only be a good thing. We need more size. I love the way Lou plays, but he can't play against legit centers. West and Tyler can't either, so that left us with only Roy. Now we at least have a big body to throw out there. He also seems like he has a great personality that will help him fit in right away too.

To be honest, Lou can play against legit centers. He had no problem guarding Dwight Howard. It doesn't get more legit than that. That said, it's always great to have another big body and run with a line-up of Lou at the 4 and Fes at the 5 in order to not allow any layups.

It's not just matchups either. This frontcourt was one injury or one Hibbert foul trouble outing from getting pretty thin. Having a big bruiser in there should help against the Chicago's, Orlando's, and Miami's come playoff time.

It also wouldn't surprise me if the Pacers try to limit West's minutes a bit down the stretch to keep that knee spry for the playoffs. Fesenko could eat some of those minutes.

I think that Fes will get those minutes that West plays C next to Hansbrough. The West + Hansbrough unit is not very good defensively and neither of them is / or can play as a C. He can certainly give some extra rest to West, though.

I just hope he can be the Pacers version of Omar Asik. He doesn't impact the game statistically, but my goodness is he important for the Bulls.

This minus Asik's flopping.

RWB
03-23-2012, 09:17 AM

Yep, some discussion amongst Brazilian students on campus wanting to check out the Pacers after the addtion of Leandro.

vnzla81
03-23-2012, 09:32 AM

Yes it does, it gives the Pacers more views and product sales out of the country, more people would follow them, there is also a big Brazilian community in Indiana, I expect them to start going to games pretty soon so hopefully I can convince my girlfriend to come with me :D

Kid Minneapolis
03-23-2012, 09:41 AM
We're collecting some serious locker room hams. I'm guessing we'll get more value from Fes's pre/post-game quotes and fan events than his actual on-court production, but whatever.

Drewtone
03-23-2012, 09:53 AM

Peck, only if said player brings an obnoxious fan(boy)base with him.

wintermute
03-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Yes it does, it gives the Pacers more views and product sales out of the country, more people would follow them, there is also a big Brazilian community in Indiana, I expect them to start going to games pretty soon so hopefully I can convince my girlfriend to come with me :D

Is that the reason you badly wanted the Pacers to get Nene last summer? :hmm:

duke dynamite
03-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Fesanity?

bballpacen
03-23-2012, 10:02 AM
Peck, only if said player brings an obnoxious fan(boy)base with him.
Fesenko is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> you....

vnzla81
03-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Is that the reason you badly wanted the Pacers to get Nene last summer? :hmm:

No really, I never like to make "hearth decisions" in business, is not the smart thing to do.

J7F
03-23-2012, 10:21 AM

I take it she's Brazilian then? If so... You are one lucky man :)

naptownmenace
03-23-2012, 10:27 AM

1/2/3
DC/GH/AJ
PG/LB/LS
DG/DJ
DW/TH/LA
RH/LA/KF

Injuries are a part of the game and if Hibbert, West, or Lou get's hurt or in foul trouble he'll come in handy. I love Lou's hussle, weakside defense, and energy but his lack of size makes him an ineffective post defender. Guys like Noah, Chandler, Amare, and Dwight can easily score over him or David West in the paint. They won't be able to move Fes off the block or turn and score over him easily.

This is the backup I wanted the Pacers to sign before the season started if they couldn't get Stanko to come over from so I'm excited they landed him.

Nuntius
03-23-2012, 10:35 AM
I love Lou's hussle, weakside defense, and energy but his lack of size makes him an ineffective post defender. Guys like Noah, Chandler, Amare, and Dwight can easily score over him

Lou is not an ineffective post defender. He held his own against Dwight in our last game. He forced him into an offensive foul and in the next trip he blocked him.

I agree with everything else, though. Lou is great but it never hurts to have a second great defender. Especially, if it's a 7'1" one.

Justin Tyme
03-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Yep, some discussion amongst Brazilian students on campus wanting to check out the Pacers after the addtion of Leandro.

JFYI

40 miles west of Indy on highway 40, the old National Road, in Clay County is the only town named Brazil in the USA. B/c of this, the country of Brazil gave them a fountain? in honor of it. Maybe Barbosa will go visit Brazil... INDIANA.

Will Galen
03-23-2012, 10:40 AM
Solid pick-up.

I thought so. I also thought he talked a bit like him.

imbtyler
03-23-2012, 10:44 AM
When it comes to "spending money for the sake of spending it", I think picking up Barbosa at the deadline and Fesenko right now are prime examples. However, I can't really complain, because I knew we had to spend money to meet some CBA limitation, so as long as he can play, and well, then I don't really mind.

If he can help keep us from going down 20 points to the Wizards on any given night, then he's worth it in my book.

RWB
03-23-2012, 10:46 AM
JFYI

40 miles west of Indy on highway 40, the old National Road, in Clay County is the only town named Brazil in the USA. B/c of this, the country of Brazil gave them a fountain? in honor of it. Maybe Barbosa will go visit Brazil... INDIANA.

The students are very aware of Brazil Indiana...:dance::dance: Arrived in America about three weeks ago and the Indiana weather cooperated in letting them see snow for the very first time. Great group of young people.

vnzla81
03-23-2012, 10:48 AM
I take it she's Brazilian then? If so... You are one lucky man :)

Shhh don't say it to loud I don't want people here to hate me even more :D

Nuntius
03-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Shhh don't say it to loud I don't want people here to hate me even more :D

On an irrelevant note one of the most beautiful girls I've met in my life was from Venezuela.

CableKC
03-23-2012, 10:56 AM
My guess is that he will be ahead of Pendegraph in the Frontcourt rotation.....but behind Hansbrough. Vogel doesn't strike me as the type of guy that likes to introduce too much change into the lineup in a short period of time. He's trying to figure out how to play Barbosa....I'm guessing that he's trying to experiment with whose best to play GH and DC......adding in Fesenko now could be a variable that he doesn't quite want to add yet until he's figured out the other newer pieces of the puzzle.

vnzla81
03-23-2012, 11:01 AM
On an irrelevant note one of the most beautiful girls I've met in my life was from Venezuela.

Yep that too ;)

Nuntius
03-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Yep that too ;)

She combined all the of the nice Latino elements with some really exotic Amerindian characteristics. To see her in a gothic dress was just :drool:

Anyway, we're getting a tad off-topic here :p

Speed
03-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Funny stuff on this thread, its wobbling on the tracks, not that I care, funny to me.

Otherwise, bottom line, you needed another body upfront, you were an injury away from being undermanned.

He seems like, by far the best option for now and give him a look for the future.

BillS
03-23-2012, 11:27 AM

Caracas is the only place in the world where I actually ran into a light pole while walking across a street because I was looking at the "scenery" instead of where I was going.

Wow.

vnzla81
03-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Caracas is the only place in the world where I actually ran into a light pole while walking across a street because I was looking at the "scenery" instead of where I was going.

Wow.

Oh yeah, trust me I couldn't walk straight last time I went there, they are everywhere.

Heisenberg
03-23-2012, 11:46 AM
There's a Jazz blog, SLCDunk.com. They'd have caption contests with Fesenko pictures. Eventually he found out about it and started taking pictures specifically for them to caption, he'd get on the blog and tell them which captions were good or not.

This is going to be fun.

Sparhawk
03-23-2012, 11:46 AM

Hey, that's where my wife is from. ;) It's all true about the women. Same for Brazil.

I saw a lot of women with butt implants, when I visited this past August. Must be a popular thing in latin america.

Psyren
03-23-2012, 12:39 PM
@johnhollinger

http://twitter.com/johnhollinger

@johnhollinger: I think Fesenko is going to help Indy. Huge defensive #s whole career. Baffled that Boston/Miami didn't pursue him.

Nuntius
03-23-2012, 12:42 PM
Good thing for us that they didn't :D

MiaDragon
03-23-2012, 01:51 PM
any idea on when we see him on the floor?

pacer4ever
03-23-2012, 02:00 PM

That is actually a really good comparison imo

maragin
03-23-2012, 02:07 PM

Since the Pacers got a Brazilian, hopefully I can convince my girlfriend to do the same.

I Love P
03-23-2012, 02:10 PM
Since the Pacers got a Brazilian, hopefully I can convince my girlfriend to do the same.

Post pix if she does.

Dgreenwell3
03-23-2012, 02:29 PM
That is actually a really good comparison imo

Its just too bad fesenko doesn't look as much like judge rheinhold as asik does

Heisenberg
03-23-2012, 02:36 PM
Its just too bad fesenko doesn't look as much like judge rheinhold as asik does
Or sound like a stereotypical Russian mafioso. Fes is definitely funny though. Dude's expressions crack me up.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V9_JlY7l8T0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/N2Y95PomScs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Speed
03-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Any news on when the guy will join the team? Sorry if I missed it in the thread.

I Love P
03-23-2012, 02:54 PM
How do you pronounce his name?

Heisenberg
03-23-2012, 03:08 PM
kuh-rill fuh-cink-ooooooooooo

rel
03-23-2012, 03:33 PM

Do we not pronounce the 'o' in his first name?

Heisenberg
03-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Deron Williams didn't in an interview, so I guess not

CableKC
03-23-2012, 04:12 PM
Can someone Tweet Mike Wells and ask him if he thinks that Fesenko will share any of Hansbrough's and Amundson's minutes?

or

If he is going to be playing behind them in the PF/C rotation ( which means that he'll be riding the pine )?

vnzla81
03-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Can someone Tweet Mike Wells and ask him if he thinks that Fesenko will share any of Hansbrough's and Amundson's minutes?

or

If he is going to be playing behind them in the PF/C rotation ( which means that he'll be riding the pine )?

I don't think Well's knows anything.

BillS
03-23-2012, 04:22 PM

"Yes-a-cabbage-is" :zip:

Hypnotiq
03-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Phillip B Wilson ‏ @pwilson24 Reply Retweet Favorite Open
#Pacers just distributed official release on signing of C Kyrylo Fesenko. Terms of contract undisclosed, per team policy. #fb

he is now officially on the team

LoneGranger33
03-23-2012, 06:01 PM
Kyrylo Fesenko was drafted with the 38th pick in 2007, sandwiched between former Pacer Josh McRoberts (at 37) and future Pacer Stanko Barac (at 39).

Nuntius
03-23-2012, 08:07 PM

Really? Judging by the way it is written in Cyrillic I doubt that it is pronounced different than written.

idioteque
03-23-2012, 08:20 PM
I know four Ukranian last names: Tymoshenko Yushchenko Fesenko Yanukovych. Lots of o's in that country.

Nuntius
03-23-2012, 08:45 PM
I know four Ukranian last names: Tymoshenko Yushchenko Fesenko Yanukovych. Lots of o's in that country.

Well, -enko and -ovych are pretty standard suffixes so it makes sense :p

Sandman21
03-23-2012, 09:38 PM
He was at the game tonight in street clothes. Dude is BIIGGG.

D-BONE
03-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Should be about as nimble as RH on PnR D.

Nuntius
03-23-2012, 10:01 PM

All his stats point out that he is a good PnR defender.

ballism
03-23-2012, 10:23 PM

closer to Kee-ree-law Fear-sear-n-caw, stress on 'sear'

xIndyFan
03-23-2012, 10:38 PM

he has quick feet for a big guy evidently. does some mean dance moves too. be nice if he could. be nice if anyone could.

MiaDragon
03-23-2012, 10:40 PM

The highlights make him look MUCH quicker than Hibby

D-BONE
03-24-2012, 06:57 AM
Hope you are right and that he's in some semblance of playing shape...if he even sees any minutes. Lou does a solid job, but he's a worse layup shooter than Foster by a long shot. The one he missed last night after the little pirouette was classic. Use the backboard much?

Will Galen
03-24-2012, 08:10 AM

Wow.

I ran into a stop sign one time. I was looking back over my shoulder at a very pretty girl getting into an small sports car. After the stop sign roughly claimed my attention, I quickly looked back to see if the girl had noticed. She saw me all right, she was laughing. I was a bit embarrassed, but not much, I shrugged, and went on.

Will Galen
03-24-2012, 08:34 AM

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/pacers-sign-free-agent-center-fesenko
INDIANAPOLIS (March 23, 2012) The Indiana Pacers announced Friday the signing of 7-1, 280-pound center Kyrylo Fesenko (Kuh-rile-oh Feh-sink-o) to a contract. Per club policy, terms were not disclosed.

or

http://www.nba.com/pacers/rewind_120323.html
Kyrylo Fesenko, the 7-1, 280-pound center from Ukraine signed just prior to the game, was not in uniform. He is not expected to play Saturday in Milwaukee. Coach Frank Vogel said before the game he did not expect Fesenko to supplant anyone currently in the rotation but that he would provide depth and a matchup option against bigger, stronger centers. Fesenko fill the roster void created by Jeff Foster's retirement earlier this week

BlueNGold
03-24-2012, 09:12 AM
The highlights make him look MUCH quicker than Hibby

He apparently handles the PnR very well. After researching this a bit more, I think he'll be a monster on defense, particularly on the second unit.

The combination of acquiring Barbosa (an offensive specialist) and Fesenko (a defensive specialist) is nothing but brilliant. Bird is acquiring the pieces necessary to handle each situation.

sportfireman
03-24-2012, 09:46 AM
He apparently handles the PnR very well. After researching this a bit more, I think he'll be a monster on defense, particularly on the second unit.

The combination of acquiring Barbosa (an offensive specialist) and Fesenko (a defensive specialist) is nothing but brilliant. Bird is acquiring the pieces necessary to handle each situation.

I just hope Fesenko gets to play as primary back up C.

jeffg-body
03-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Does anyone know if he will be in uniform tonight?

GP33
03-24-2012, 04:15 PM
Is he playing to tonIght

ECKrueger
03-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Not expected to.

Peck
03-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Does anyone know if he will be in uniform tonight?

My understanding is he didn't even make the trip.

Sandman21
03-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Don't expect to see him this week, hes also got a visa issue to get resolved.

jeffg-body
03-26-2012, 04:49 PM
My understanding is he didn't even make the trip.

That sucks, hopefully he'll get his visa issue straightened out and we will see him in a short amount of time.

Stuckey7370
03-26-2012, 11:47 PM
This guy must have great taste in clothes. First the party jacket now Jorts, graphic tees and knee high socks. Kobe Jones posted this on his twitter.

http://distilleryimage6.instagram.com/68b23968775c11e1abb01231381b65e3_7.jpg

PS. How do you embed photos?

ndcoltsnpacers
03-26-2012, 11:53 PM
This guy must have great taste in clothes. First the party jacket now Jorts, graphic tees and knee high socks. Kobe Jones posted this on his twitter.

PS. How do you embed photos?

You have to use the image button above the message box you type in. Or put the address between a

I wonder if they gave him Foster's locker. Also I see they put Lance next to Foster, good move.

I Love P
03-26-2012, 11:54 PM
That looks like it was made with an application called "Diptic" in your app store.

pacergod2
03-27-2012, 10:51 AM
He's better than Troy Murphy.

I would not mind giving him a look. He has never made much money, so he would be a servicable big in our Center rotation. I think he has really improved his overall game over the last few years. His first year or two in the league was brutal, but he has really worked on his footwork and defense. He can definitely give a team meaningful minutes as a second or third center depending on the team's rotation.

I also really like Fesenko. He is a good young player who is big. He isn't the most mobile, but we are talking about two players who are exclusively backup type of centers. I think Fesenko could command a little more money, because he is bigger than Gray and has a little more potential. He would give us a better chance against beefy centers, once Hibbert gets in foul trouble.

I would be all for signing a guy like these two. We need to add a few bigs this off-season, and with the uncertainty of Foster and McRoberts, we could be looking at adding more bigs than we would hope to. At this point we only have Hibbert and Hansborough, which means we need to add at least four bigs. A player like this could go a long way towards filling our roster with capable players.

I hope we bring back Josh and Jeff. One of them may be a casualty if we do sign a big, but I would think that our front court would be really good if they were our fourth and fifth bigs. And the addition of Stanko possibly, would be great exposure, but it depends on the buyout in his new contract that he signed in Turkey.

Yi is horrible. He has terrific skill so he can light it up in practice sessions with no one guarding him. He is soft and weak. He is terrible defensively, because he lacks any lateral foot movement. He is exactly a poor man's Murphy. And that is not saying a whole lot.

Kwame won't come here with Hibbert. There are way too many teams looking for a legit center to start, that he will go play somewhere else before here. I really like Kwame and what he brings to the floor. He has matured a ton since his early years. Charlotte, Toronto, Golden State, Detroit, Atlanta, Houston, New York, Philadelphia. That is plenty of teams that are more attractive for him.

I really see Houston doing what they can to bring back Hayes. It will probably take overpaying the guy so much that it isn't worth it.

I could see us getting Aaron Gray or Kyrlyo Fesenko as strictly a backup C on a cheap deal.

I was definitely one of the people who brought him up this summer. These posts were from end of June/beginning of July. I really think this kid fits what we needed. He fits in with our roster from a basketball standpoint and he certainly won't hurt our locker room.

Great signing.

I like Fesenko here for his defensive presence and likely low cost.

7'1", and complementary to the high amount of offense we have on the bench. Excellent complement I bet to Hansbrough.

docpaul was the first to throw him out when we were discussing back-up centers in December.

pacergod2
03-27-2012, 10:53 AM
Did Rik Smits ever play in Russia?

Justin Tyme
03-27-2012, 12:24 PM
Did Rik Smits ever play in Russia?

He went to college at Marist?, and then to the NBA. So I'd say no.

Sandman21
03-27-2012, 12:31 PM
He went to college at Marist?, and then to the NBA. So I'd say no.

Wow that went WAYYY over your head.:laugh:

Indra
03-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Had a dream last night where first possession of the first game Fesenko plays here he posted up, bobbled the pass a little bit, pivoted and threw down a monster two handed jam that shook the ground. It was a good dream.

Kuq_e_Zi91
03-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Had a dream last night where first possession of the first game Fesenko plays here he posted up, bobbled the pass a little bit, pivoted and threw down a monster two handed jam that shook the ground. It was a good dream.

I had a dream where Fesenko, in a thick Russian accent, said Larry Bird brought him to Indy to deliver hard fouls. That was a good dream too.

Sandman21
03-27-2012, 05:12 PM
I had a dream where Fesenko, in a thick Russian accent, said Larry Bird brought him to Indy to deliver hard fouls. That was a good dream too.

Mine went almost the same way, except Fesenko said he would break Derrick Rose. The really weird part was that he sounded more like Dolph Lundgren than a Russian.

Thing I thus learned:

A.) No more Rocky movies before I go to sleep.
B.) Derrick Rose will never forget that dream.

sportfireman
04-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Does anyone have any info on his status? Thnx in advance.

BPump33
04-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Does anyone have any info on his status? Thnx in advance.

I jokingly asked Coach Vogel last night when my boy ( I was wearing my Fes jersey) was going to get some playing time and he responded that he probably wouldn't unless there were some injuries.

Derek2k3
04-03-2012, 03:05 PM
I jokingly asked Coach Vogel last night when my boy ( I was wearing my Fes jersey) was going to get some playing time and he responded that he probably wouldn't unless there were some injuries.

I certainly wouldn't expect to see him getting minutes unless we get Orlando in the playoffs.

Going to be tough to find minutes, but invaluable to have the option in the playoffs. Especially with Lou's tendency to use all of his fouls :laugh:

CableKC
04-03-2012, 03:35 PM
I think that it is imperative that he gets some minutes prior to the Playoffs....even if it is during the "Wave the AJ/Lance/Inferno/Pendegraph/Fesenko" flag of celebration/defeat at the end of games where he logs 5 minutes a game against scrubs.

He needs to get some playing time so that he doesn't look completely lost out there IF AND WHEN he is called to action. I don't want the 1st couple of minutes that he plays in several months to be during a critical playoff game when he is called into provide some defense.

graphic-er
04-03-2012, 04:55 PM
I think that it is imperative that he gets some minutes prior to the Playoffs....even if it is during the "Wave the AJ/Lance/Inferno/Pendegraph/Fesenko" flag of celebration/defeat at the end of games where he logs 5 minutes a game against scrubs.

He needs to get some playing time so that he doesn't look completely lost out there IF AND WHEN he is called to action. I don't want the 1st couple of minutes that he plays in several months to be during a critical playoff game when he is called into provide some defense.

I agree Vogel is being stupid about this, the dude hasn't even dressed for a game yet. Need to get this guy some minutes.

joeyd
04-03-2012, 05:26 PM
I certainly wouldn't expect to see him getting minutes unless we get Orlando in the playoffs.

Going to be tough to find minutes, but invaluable to have the option in the playoffs. Especially with Lou's tendency to use all of his fouls :laugh:

I went to the STH party last night and talked to Frank and some of the other coaches about Fez as well. Some coaches seem more excited than others to get him in and at least be able to use his fouls (e.g., against Dwight).

CableKC
04-03-2012, 05:41 PM
I agree Vogel is being stupid about this, the dude hasn't even dressed for a game yet. Need to get this guy some minutes.
I agree....I don't think that we have a diamond in the rough when it comes to Fesenko......but I think that we have a Player that could potentially fill a specific role ( a huge Player that is wide and big enough to flatten a Player that drives to the hoop while playing very solid low post defense ) similar to what Players like Inferno ( veteran slashing to the hoop perimeter defender ) or Barbosa ( veteran microwave scorer ) fills on the Team. I want to see what he can do and whether he can actually do it.

What I really do not want is to not play Fesenko ANY minutes at all for the rest of the season ( if not the Playoffs ) and then see him bolt without knowing what he can do.

I guarantee that we will have more than a few opportunities to see the White Flag of Surrender/Celebration waved more than a few times before the Playoffs start.....I see no reason why a key rotational Player like Amundson has to be that guy that goes out there to shag balls next to Pendegraph in the final minutes of a game that we have won or lost.

We have a Player that hasn't stepped foot onto the court over the last couple of months ( if not year ) and he needs to do something just to get into game shape. Not every Big Man is like Foster where he can not play for long periods of time and then step in and be effective.

Anthem
04-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Whoa whoa whoa... I think "stupid" is a bit much. The guy's gonna be playing his way into shape. Saying he's not part of the playing rotation is not unreasonable. It's not like Vogel said "Even if we're up by 20, he won't see the floor.". He's just saying don't expect much PT if everyone stays healthy. That's just fine.

Steagles
04-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Why hasn't he played, or even dressed yet?

xBulletproof
04-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Why hasn't he played, or even dressed yet?

.... because he's good for 6 fouls. You don't need game time to practice fouling.

BlueNGold
04-03-2012, 09:54 PM
They do need to get him out there, but not in a game like tonight's. We will need him against Chicago's Asik just to put a big body on him.

Stuckey7370
04-03-2012, 09:57 PM

You're going to be wearing his jersey more than he will (I couldn't pass it up).

BPump33
04-04-2012, 08:54 AM
You're going to be wearing his jersey more than he will (I couldn't pass it up).

He's a really funny guy. He saw my jersey and asked me where he could get one. Haha.

The Fez Dispenser jersey is now 2-0. I'll be wearing it as long as the home win streak continues.

pacers74
04-04-2012, 10:15 AM
He's a really funny guy. He saw my jersey and asked me where he could get one. Haha.

The Fez Dispenser jersey is now 2-0. I'll be wearing it as long as the home win streak continues.

Oh, your the one with his jersey. We saw you at the Washington game. My son pointed it out. My son really wants him to play.

I don't see the harm in letting him dress and putting Lance or Pendergraph in a suit for a night. The only issue might be if he is really in game shape, but if he gets in for 2 or 3 minutes that shouldn't matter. If it is a home game he might be a crowd favorite. (The one everyone cheers for if he scores during a blowout).

naptownmenace
04-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Oh, your the one with his jersey. We saw you at the Washington game. My son pointed it out. My son really wants him to play.

I don't see the harm in letting him dress and putting Lance or Pendergraph in a suit for a night. The only issue might be if he is really in game shape, but if he gets in for 2 or 3 minutes that shouldn't matter. If it is a home game he might be a crowd favorite. (The one everyone cheers for if he scores during a blowout).

I believe Red Auerbach (sp?) called this type of player the "Human Victory Cigar". I also like to refer to them as a "Scalabrine".

Anthem
04-04-2012, 11:56 AM
I believe Red Auerbach (sp?) called this type of player the "Human Victory Cigar". I also like to refer to them as a "Scalabrine".
I believe "Darko" is the preferred nomenclature.

Stuckey7370
04-04-2012, 12:04 PM

He seems like he fits in with the "goofiness" of the team.

PR07
04-04-2012, 12:55 PM
If in playing shape, will he be ahead of Pendergraph on the depth chart?

CableKC
04-04-2012, 01:01 PM
.... because he's good for 6 fouls. You don't need game time to practice fouling.
Is that the sole reason why he was brought here?

I could be wrong....but I assume that there is far more that needs to be done when joining a new Team than being able to step onto the floor and fouling a Player.

I'm talking about assimilating to the defense, familiarizing himself with the Players that he will likely be on the floor with and knowing where to be when the offense / defense is flowing. I understand that he's a big body added for depth....but I don't want his first minute as a Pacer to be when we are in crunch time in a critical game and Fesenko steps onto the court and looks completely lost within Vogel's defense.

As many have suggested....I have no problem if he's playing when the White flag of surrender/celebration is waved...I just think that he simply needs to see some time on the floor. I understand that he may not be in game shape...but I guarantee that there are NBA Players that are in worst shape than he is that is already playing.

PaulGeorge
04-04-2012, 01:03 PM
He seems like he fits in with the "goofiness" of the team.

I was watching the game the other day out at a bar and heard someone say the pacers are really goofy. Then I thought about it and was thinking yeah, their second unit is very goofy and add Fesenko it's over 9000. We might as well call the second unit the GOON CREW.

:ninja:

Peck
04-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Guys there will not be a full contact practice the rest of the season. There are no days off between games to do this. If he is going to learn anything it will be by film session and working with the coaching staff and maybe Foster (limited contact).

After listening to Frank last week on the Pacers weekly program it became very clear to me that he has zero intention of playing Fesenko. He loves Lou (as we all do) and any and all backup big men min. that the team has beyond D.West will go to him.

Also to answer another question, no I don't think he will be above the depth chart of Pendegraph this season. Maybe next year if they are both here.

Hicks
04-04-2012, 01:43 PM
I was watching the game the other day out at a bar and heard someone say the pacers are really goofy. Then I thought about it and was thinking yeah, their second unit is very goofy and add Fesenko it's over 9000. We might as well call the second unit the GOON CREW.

:ninja:

The Goof Troop.

Will Galen
04-04-2012, 01:54 PM
The Goof Troop.

I thought that good at first, but then I realized that wouldn't go over well with the players. You could take it that they were making goofs/mistakes.

Maybe the Goofy Troop . . . Goofy Troopy?