PDA

View Full Version : Free-agent team needs: East - ESPN Insider

Hibbert
03-22-2012, 02:19 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7721877/best-free-agent-fits-eastern-conference-teams-nba
Free-agent team needs: East
We provide a free-agency blueprint for every Eastern Conference team
Updated: March 22, 2012, 2:14 PM ET
By Tom Haberstroh | ESPN Insider

Roy HibbertAndrew D. Bernstein/NBAE/Getty ImagesFlush with cap room, the Celtics could target restricted free agent center Roy Hibbert.

Got the tanking blues? Don't worry, help is on the way.

Last week, our cap-ologist Larry Coon rolled through the league and gave a quick snapshot of the cap situation for each team this summer. With that in hand, let's take a preview of the free-agent landscape and the best fits for each team.

In this installment, we'll take a close look at the Eastern Conference, where plenty of teams will be looking to go on a spending spree.
Insider NBA Free Agency Primer

With the NBA trade deadline having come and gone, here's an early look at how 2012 free agency will shape up.

Haberstroh: Top 10 Free Agents

Coon: Best salary cap situations

Coon: Worst salary cap situations

Haberstroh: East team needs

Haberstroh: West team needs

With a big class set for 2012, it's never too early to talk about who will go where. Rumor Central
The buyers

Cleveland Cavaliers -- $26 million under cap
Coming off the books: Antawn Jamison ($15.1M), Anthony Parker ($2.3M)
Biggest need: Wing scorer

Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson and Anderson Varejao are a playoff core to build around, and the Cavs will have plenty of cap space to fill out the roster. They haven't had a star wing player since that guy named LeBron James left town, so expect them to find a go-to scoring option next to their stud point guard.

They could be in the mix for Harrison Barnes depending on their draft slot, but they could also try to convince Eric Gordon to play in Cleveland.

They'd probably have to break the bank to sway him away from Indiana, so O.J. Mayo could work here too if they're willing to swallow some risk.

Boston Celtics -- $22 million under cap
Coming off the books: Kevin Garnett ($21.2M), Ray Allen ($10M), Jermaine O'Neal ($6.2M)
Biggest need: SG, PF, C

You might not be able to recognize the Celtics next season. The only safe expectation is that Paul Pierce isn't going anywhere, but everyone else on the roster? Just don't rush to buy a jersey, Celtics fans. Everything not nailed down to a franchise will be available to the Celtics, and don't expect Danny Ainge to watch Pierce's NBA career rot next to a rebuilding roster.

It makes a lot of sense for them to chase Roy Hibbert and Brook Lopez, both restricted free agents. And who knows, maybe Tim Duncan will be walking through that door about 15 years later than expected.

Indiana Pacers -- $21 million under cap
Coming off the books: Leandro Barbosa ($7.6M), Jeff Foster ($3M), Lou Amundson ($2.8M)
Biggest need: SG

Gordon (a restricted free agent) makes the most sense here, and that was true ever since he signed his letter of intent to play for the Hoosiers. He'll come at a much cheaper price than this time last year, and deservedly so.

But don't expect the Pacers to stop there. With Paul George willing and able to play both wing positions, Larry Bird will enjoy some flexibility in his offseason. Danny Granger has a fat contract, but they could package him with Darren Collison for an upgrade at point guard. All trades aside, former Clippers Gordon and Chris Kaman would fill out their roster nicely.

New Jersey Nets -- $17 million under cap
Coming off the books: Deron Williams ($16.4M), Kris Humphries ($8M), Jordan Farmar ($4M)
Biggest need: Anything and everything

Who's a good fit? How about Deron Williams and Dwight Howard? Unfortunately, that scenario might have to wait another season, as Howard not-so-quietly decided to waive his early termination option. It's entirely possible the Nets will strike out in free-agency season yet again and be left with a barren roster full of band-aids.

Extending Humphries at his price tag isn't the smartest idea, but they might not have any choice if everyone else walks. At the very least, you can pencil in Lopez and a stopgap like Jamison.

Charlotte Bobcats -- $14.9 million under cap
Coming off the books: Boris Diaw ($9M), D.J. Augustin ($3.2M)
Biggest need: See New Jersey Nets

As Coon points out, the Bobcats could free up another $10.9 million by dropping the amnesty bomb on Corey Maggette's contract. At that point, the Bobcats would have one of the most petite payrolls in the league. Instead of using cap space, it's probably best for Michael Jordan to build through the draft rather than burning long-term money in free agency. Considering his age and Chapel Hill roots, Antawn Jamison could make his last stop in familiar territory. It's the longest of long shots, but wouldn't an Anthony Davis and Duncan pairing be fun?

The wild cards

Washington Wizards -- $0.6 million under cap
Coming off the books: Possibly Rashard Lewis ($22.7M), Brian Cook ($1.3M)
Biggest need: SG, SF, PF

Now that they have their 1-5 pairing of John Wall and Nene set, where do they go next? The amnesty route. Coon points out that Lewis is a prime candidate to be cut, and his $22.7 million salary next season to go with him. And then what? There isn't a blockbuster power forward to snag in free agency, so they might give some thought to luring a center to slide Nene over to the 4. Roy Hibbert makes some sense for the Wizards, as does Nicolas Batum. Both are restricted free agents, though.

Philadelphia 76ers -- $2.1 million under cap
Coming off the books: Possibly Elton Brand ($17.1M), Andres Nocioni ($6.7M), Spencer Hawes ($4.1M)
Biggest need: PF, C

Thaddeus Young is still just 23 years old, but the 76ers might not view him as the long-term solution at the power forward position (they love him coming off the bench). Spencer Hawes is a dynamic center, but not one to build around.

This is a team that could package some of its young assets (Jrue Holiday, Evan Turner and/or Young) and trade for a star in the offseason, as they'll have a tough time signing a blue-chip free agent in Philadelphia. Pau Gasol could be a trade option if the Lakers flounder again in the playoffs. A free agent who is intriguing for them is Ersan Ilyasova.

Toronto Raptors -- $16 million under the cap
Coming off the books: Jerryd Bayless ($3M), Aaron Gray ($2.5M)
Biggest need: SG, SF, C

The Raptors will have plenty of cap space to lure a big-name free agent, but whether they can actually entice a big-name free agent is the real question. As is usually the case, they'll have to overpay someone (ahem, Hedo Turkoglu) in order to bring in a real talent in free agency. Along that vein, they could splurge for Gordon and conveniently forget his health concerns. But don't expect that to happen.

Considering the organization's soft spot for European players, Ilyasova seems like a good match. Signing native Canadian Steve Nash is a fairy-tale scenario, and that's all it is: a dream.

Atlanta Hawks: $4 million under the cap
Coming off the books: Kirk Hinrich ($8.1M) and a fleet of veteran minimums
Biggest need: C

Move along, there's nothing to see here. The Hawks kissed cap space goodbye when they inked Joe Johnson to that albatross-in-the-making max contract. Unless they amnesty him, they'll be forced to tweak the roster here and there. The obvious move is to trade Josh Smith for a legitimate center to push Al Horford to his natural position at the 4, but we've been saying that for years now. One free agent to keep an eye on for a reunion in Atlanta: Jason Terry.

Milwaukee Bucks -- $9 million under the cap
Coming off the books: Kwame Brown ($6.8M), Carlos Delfino ($3.5M)
Biggest need: SF, PF, C

I'm a big fan of Ekpe Udoh, but the Bucks could use a scorer on the block to at least tempt Monta Ellis and Brandon Jennings into not laying enough bricks to build a house. Drew Gooden has been that guy since the deal, but then again, it's Drew Gooden. Elton Brand could have been that guy if this was five years ago, but he's a shell of his former self. Ryan Anderson (restricted) would be perfect in Milwaukee but it's doubtful that the Magic let him go.

You know what player-coach matchup might be more intriguing than George Karl and JaVale McGee? Scott Skiles and McGee. Now that's high-risk, high-reward.

Capped out

New York Knicks -- $4 million over cap
Coming off the books: Baron Davis ($1.3M), Mike Bibby ($1.3M), Jared Jeffries ($1.2M)

Don't expect many changes to the Knicks next season. They'll be forced to bring back Jeremy Lin using their mid-level exception and they won't have any cap space to land a free agent. They'll be reduced to using the veteran minimum to fill out the roster much like they did after signing Tyson Chandler last offseason. Don't rule out a return to New York for Marcus Camby.

Detroit Pistons -- $5 million over the cap
Coming off the books: Ben Wallace ($2.2M)
Biggest need: SG, SF, PF

Unless they find takers for Ben Gordon, Tayshaun Prince and Charlie Villanueva, they won't have any free-agency room this offseason or next. That's not what the Detroit faithful want to hear, but that's the hole into which GM Joe Dumars has dug himself.

Like the Wizards, the Pistons could really use some help in between the bookends. Greg Monroe, Rodney Stuckey and Brandon Knight will be the foundation (unless Stuckey is moved, which is a real possibility). Don't expect any free agent to move the needle here, but bringing in a guy like Ian Mahinmi using an exception wouldn't be a bad idea.

Orlando Magic -- $9 million over the cap
Coming off the books: No one
Biggest need: PG

Wouldn't it be nice to have some cap space to complement Howard? They kissed that goodbye when they brought back Turkoglu and signed Jameer Nelson long-term. They can't use the amnesty provision, because they already pushed that button on Gilbert Arenas, so the Magic have little in the way of free-agency flexibility.

They will probably re-sign Anderson, who's a restricted free agent, at any price (that's partly true because the alternative is Glen Davis). The best fit for Orlando might be Mo Williams on the mid-level exception if he doesn't enact his hefty player option.

Chicago Bulls -- $19 million over the cap, $6 million over tax
Coming off the books: No one of note

It feels like the figurative "Help Wanted: Shooting Guard" sign on the entrance of the United Center has been up for an eternity. Don't expect that to come down this offseason. Richard Hamilton is still on the books for another season at least, but considering he's more fragile than a tortilla chip, they won't stop looking for one. This is a champion contender roster anyway, so they'll probably stand pat, more or less. Can they convince Terry to sign for an exception?

Miami Heat -- $20 million over the cap, $8 million over tax
Coming off the books: No one of note
Biggest need: C

Who's on the center scrap heap this time around? The Heat don't have much in the way of serious needs outside of their center position. But they won't have the flexibility to do much about it anyway. Some names to keep an eye on this summer: Robin Lopez, Louis Amundson, Nazr Mohammed and Jermaine O'Neal. Kosta Koufos would be a great signing if Denver lets him walk, but don't bet on that happening.

CableKC
03-22-2012, 02:29 PM
This guy doesn't take into account that some team...my guess the Rockets....are going to overpay for Hibbert...which will likely force the Pacers to match and eat into the capspace.

Cactus Jax
03-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Hmm....PG is clearly the biggest need atm.

ilive4sports
03-22-2012, 02:31 PM
How is SG our biggest need? Its quite obvious that its PG.

Kstat
03-22-2012, 02:35 PM
this guy doesn't make any sense.

First, we aren't looking for "takers" for Tayshaun. We just ****ing re-signed the guy. If we wanted to get rid of him, we could have just not offered him another contract.

Second, we can amnesty Gordon or CV and have a nice chunk of cap space anytime we choose.

That said, I'm not terribly interested in free agency this season. Save it for when we're ready to make a playoff push.

DEEman
03-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Thumbs down to Tom Haberstroh

Hibbert
03-22-2012, 02:45 PM
this guy doesn't make any sense.

First, we aren't looking for "takers" for Tayshaun. We just ****ing re-signed the guy. If we wanted to get rid of him, we could have just not offered him another contract.

Second, we can amnesty Gordon or CV and have a nice chunk of cap space anytime we choose.

If the Pistons were going to amnesty either of those players they would of done so already. They didn't because of the money, they still would have to pay the player and than pay whoever they sign. Also, the resigning of Prince was questioned by everyone, I wouldn't be shocked if they tried shopping him this summer even though they won't find any takers.

Kstat
03-22-2012, 02:49 PM
If the Pistons were going to amnesty either of those players they would of done so already. They didn't because of the money, they still would have to pay the player and than pay whoever they sign.

Yeah...you don't know that for a fact. It didn't make sense to add payroll for a lost season. a year or so from now, that could be a different story.

Also, the resigning of Prince was questioned by everyone, I wouldn't be shocked if they tried shopping him this summer even though they won't find any takers.

It was questioned by people on the outside. It made sense at the time from a leadership standpoint and still does. I'm sure Dumars would be open to trading him, but you're crazy if you think he didn't know what he was getting when he brought him back.

For the record, Joe had an offer from Dallas last season from Dallas for Butler and a first round pick. He turned it down.

I'm happy with what Tayshaun gives us for the price we got him at. I'm sure Joe is, too.

Hibbert
03-22-2012, 02:51 PM
How is SG our biggest need? Its quite obvious that its PG.

What he's saying is he thinks we make a run at Gordon which would mean PG could slide to SF therefore leaving Danny expendable. He suggests that Pacers should than look to shop Danny and DC for an upgrade at PG so he sees the need there as well.

Speed
03-22-2012, 02:53 PM
I've been thinking about this, isn't Spencer Hawes a free agent? Could you get him for much cheaper if someone throws the bank a Roy? Hawes is young and I really like his game. He's been hurt this year, but very effective when he's played. He may be a better passer than Roy. Not saying don't sign Roy, but there's a point where you have to wonder if there are other alternatives for the money.

Heisenberg
03-22-2012, 02:57 PM
If Gordon's "much cheaper than this time last year" then he'll be a Hornet. I don't know if Haberstroh's even aware of what restricted free agency is, let alone how it works.

Hibbert
03-22-2012, 02:58 PM
Yeah...you don't know that for a fact. It didn't make sense to add payroll for a lost season. a year or so from now, that could be a different story.

It was questioned by people on the outside. It made sense at the time from a leadership standpoint and still does. I'm sure Dumars would be open to trading him, but you're crazy if you think he didn't know what he was getting when he brought him back.

For the record, Joe had an offer from Dallas last season from Dallas for Butler and a first round pick. He turned it down.

I'm happy with what Tayshaun gives us for the price we got him at. I'm sure Joe is, too.

The last part just goes to show how bad Detroit management has gotten. The same team that traded Billups for Iverson two games into the season that took them from 59-23 to 39-43 and they've been terrible ever since.

Kstat
03-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Sometimes you have to be terrible before you an get better in the long term.

Being terrible has netted us Monroe and Knight, and Stuckey has finally grown into a player we can win with. We also have Jerebko as a young building block, a quintessential glue guy in Tayshaun that provides veteran leadership, and we have a kid in Kyle Singler that is tearing it up in Europe.

Really, we're one more good draft pick (preferably a big man) away from being relevant again. Yes, Gordon and CV were a disaster, but the rest of the moves since the Iverson deal have been rock-solid. Rebuilding this team through the draft is working out pretty well.

ilive4sports
03-22-2012, 03:22 PM
What he's saying is he thinks we make a run at Gordon which would mean PG could slide to SF therefore leaving Danny expendable. He suggests that Pacers should than look to shop Danny and DC for an upgrade at PG so he sees the need there as well.

He still says our biggest need is SG. If he felt it was PG he would say so and then suggest signing Gordon so we could move Paul George to SF and trade DC/DG for a PG.

MrHale
03-22-2012, 03:31 PM
I really hope we dont get gordon, i like our size advantage and hes injury prone so no thanks

naptownmenace
03-22-2012, 03:53 PM
Sometimes you have to be terrible before you an get better in the long term.

Being terrible has netted us Monroe and Knight, and Stuckey has finally grown into a player we can win with. We also have Jerebko as a young building block, a quintessential glue guy in Tayshaun that provides veteran leadership, and we have a kid in Kyle Singler that is tearing it up in Europe.

Really, we're one more good draft pick (preferably a big man) away from being relevant again. Yes, Gordon and CV were a disaster, but the rest of the moves since the Iverson deal have been rock-solid. Rebuilding this team through the draft is working out pretty well.

Netting some good players through the draft was a by-product of signing Gordon and Charlie V. to their ridiculous contracts. I don't think rebuilding or getting good players through the draft was Dumars' plan at the time he gave them that contract. He was trying to keep the team in the Playoffs and he missed badly in this case.

That doesn't make him a terrible GM per se but he's made some really bad decisions the past 3 seasons. Hiring Michael Curry and John Kuester as head coach can be included in that list.

Getting Jonas, Monroe, and Knight were good decisions but those bad contracts still hang around their necks like millstones.

Hibbert
03-22-2012, 04:12 PM
He still says our biggest need is SG. If he felt it was PG he would say so and then suggest signing Gordon so we could move Paul George to SF and trade DC/DG for a PG.

You didn't understand what I said in my post is all and I never said he suggested PG was our biggest need.

Kstat
03-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Really, one bad contract. They can amnesty the other one at any point. And yes, I agree getting much worse obviously wasn't by design. But he did make the best out of a bad situation.

OakMoses
03-22-2012, 04:32 PM
He completely neglects to mention the fact that our biggest off-season priorities will be getting Hill and Hibbert signed to long-term deals. After we do that, we'll be lucky if we've got much more than $10mm left in cap space to go after a free agent. We're not getting Gordon for that little, so he's not really an option unless we go the S&T route. Also, the Gordon + Kaman combo is only realistic if we don't re-sign Hibbert (and probably unrealistic if we re-sign Hill also).

I'm with Speed that there's a definite number at which I let Roy walk and start looking for cheaper options. If I can get Kaman for 65% of what I can get Roy for, I've got to seriously consider that.

The way things have been going lately, re-signing Hill would be my top priority. What scares me is that if he becomes the starter at PG and plays this well for the rest of the season we might have to pay him more than the $7.5mm he was reportedly seeking earlier this season.

Hibbert
03-22-2012, 04:41 PM
He completely neglects to mention the fact that our biggest off-season priorities will be getting Hill and Hibbert signed to long-term deals. After we do that, we'll be lucky if we've got much more than $10mm left in cap space to go after a free agent. We're not getting Gordon for that little, so he's not really an option unless we go the S&T route. Also, the Gordon + Kaman combo is only realistic if we don't re-sign Hibbert (and probably unrealistic if we re-sign Hill also).

I'm with Speed that there's a definite number at which I let Roy walk and start looking for cheaper options. If I can get Kaman for 65% of what I can get Roy for, I've got to seriously consider that.

The way things have been going lately, re-signing Hill would be my top priority. What scares me is that if he becomes the starter at PG and plays this well for the rest of the season we might have to pay him more than the $7.5mm he was reportedly seeking earlier this season.

So say 25yr old Roy Hibbert gets $12M/yr. 65% of that is $7,800,000 which you would be willing to give to 30yr old Chris Kaman rather than pay Roy. 30yrs old in the NBA means you are no longer young and Chris has a full 5 seasons played over Roy and yet the numbers are about the same. Besides Roy is still improving and has every single year so far and I believe he will continue getting better and better.

C's don't grow on trees and Roy Hibbert is the last of a dying breed. He is a rare type of player and at 7'2'' he's the second tallest player in the league(only behind Thabeet, who never plays). Pacers can and will match whatever offer Roy gets, he's not going anywhere.

BornReady
03-22-2012, 04:42 PM
I've been thinking about this, isn't Spencer Hawes a free agent? Could you get him for much cheaper if someone throws the bank a Roy? Hawes is young and I really like his game. He's been hurt this year, but very effective when he's played. He may be a better passer than Roy. Not saying don't sign Roy, but there's a point where you have to wonder if there are other alternatives for the money.

When he plays he is good, but Hawes has SERIOUS durability issues.

Heisenberg
03-22-2012, 04:45 PM
I'll be pretty surprised if they're willing to let Roy walk at any price w/o anyone close to taking his spot in the pipeline. But Roy signing some 4/50 or even more offer sheet is definitely worrisome. I guess the silver lining of his big up and down swings is that maybe (hopefully) it'll spook some teams w/ money. But I doubt it. David Falk being his agent scares me.

Haywoode Workman
03-22-2012, 04:51 PM
It's shocking that people get paid to write things like this. No actual analysis, just some ill informed, shoddy guess work. Reminds me of stuff I used to doodle in my notebook in middle school.

OakMoses
03-22-2012, 04:57 PM
$12mm
$12.7mm
$13.5mm
$14.2mm
$15mm

That's what a $12mm starting 5-year contract for Roy with 6% raises would look like. That's close to $70mm over 5 years. That's a screaming ton of money. More than just about anybody around this place was willing to give guys like Nene, M. Gasol, and Chandler, all of whom are arguably better than Roy.

TheDavisBrothers
03-22-2012, 05:01 PM
When he plays he is good, but Hawes has SERIOUS durability issues.

:confused: He was injured this year but other then that he averaged about 76 games a year in his first 4 seasons...

Justin Tyme
03-22-2012, 05:07 PM

I understand being loyal to your team, but to the point that Dumars doesn't make mistakes is just absolutely ridiculous! Dumars had cap and instead of using it wisely he was like a kid in a candy store with a handful of money burning to be spent. Signing Charlie V. and Ben Gordon was terrible moves. Trading Billups for AI was another terrible move. The re-signing of Prince wasn't exactly a prudent move either. I say these things feeling at one time Dumars was one of the best GM's in the NBA. Things change and Dumars decisions haven't been top notch to say the least. No need to act as if Dumars decisions have all been sterling over the last number of years.

You know how I feel about Monroe, an excellent pick by Dumars. Knight was a good pick too. Dumars has an excellent opportunity this upcoming draft to pickup another building block for the future, and I'm sure he will.

Anytime Dumars wants to trade Monroe, I sure hope he talks to Bird. As a matter of fact if Hibbert is lost in FA this summer, I'll be campaigning to go after Monroe as a RFA! I think that much of Monroe.

Justin Tyme
03-22-2012, 05:15 PM
That doesn't make him a terrible GM per se but he's made some really bad decisions the past 3 seasons. Hiring Michael Curry and John Kuester as head coach can be included in that list.

Getting Jonas, Monroe, and Knight were good decisions but those bad contracts still hang around their necks like millstones.

I'd forgotten about his coaching hires. YUK!

CV was a bad decision period, Gordon was just plain overpaid. Good player just overpaid.

Brad8888
03-22-2012, 05:28 PM
$12mm
$12.7mm
$13.5mm
$14.2mm
$15mm

That's what a $12mm starting 5-year contract for Roy with 6% raises would look like. That's close to $70mm over 5 years. That's a screaming ton of money. More than just about anybody around this place was willing to give guys like Nene, M. Gasol, and Chandler, all of whom are decidedly better than Roy.

Aggressively amplified for accuracy.

Kstat
03-22-2012, 05:30 PM
I understand being loyal to your team, but to the point that Dumars doesn't make mistakes is just absolutely ridiculous!

:laugh: indeed it is. So...who said that, exactly? I'd love to know.

Dumars had cap and instead of using it wisely he was like a kid in a candy store with a handful of money burning to be spent. Signing Charlie V. and Ben Gordon was terrible moves. Trading Billups for AI was another terrible move.

and I sure defended every one of those moves in this thread! Oh wait...

No need to act as if Dumars decisions have all been sterling over the last number of years.

...exactly what thread have you been reading?

Anytime Dumars wants to trade Monroe, I sure hope he talks to Bird. As a matter of fact if Hibbert is lost in FA this summer, I'll be campaigning to go after Monroe as a RFA! I think that much of Monroe.

....that would be impressive, considering Monroe is not a RFA this summer, or next summer...not to mention there is a zero percent chance he allows Monroe to walk at any price, so the soonest Monroe will have a chance to leave town as a UFA is sometime between 2018 and 2019....

Kstat
03-22-2012, 05:35 PM
and yes. Dumars failed badly with both Curry and Kuester. He followed that up with a quality hire in Frank, who should be here a while. Water under the bridge.

I'm not saying it was by design, but being terrible for three years has put us in a good position to be successful in the near future. Need to hit on one more lottery pick, though.

TheDavisBrothers
03-22-2012, 06:30 PM
$12mm
$12.7mm
$13.5mm
$14.2mm
$15mm

That's what a $12mm starting 5-year contract for Roy with 6% raises would look like. That's close to $70mm over 5 years. That's a screaming ton of money. More than just about anybody around this place was willing to give guys like Nene, M. Gasol, and Chandler, all of whom are arguably better than Roy.

They are all older then Roy, too...

Pacerized
03-22-2012, 06:57 PM
$12mm
$12.7mm
$13.5mm
$14.2mm
$15mm

I really doubt if Bird would offer Roy a 5 year deal. If a team offers Roy a 4 year deal, all the Pacers have to do is to match it. They don't even have to give him the 6% raises, just match the 4% raises in the other teams offer.
I think we'll overpay for Roy but I'd see something like 4/50 and I can live with that. I just hope we have time to sign a major free agent before signing Roy.

Justin Tyme
03-23-2012, 05:45 AM
and I sure defended every one of those moves in this thread! Oh wait......exactly what thread have you been reading?

....that would be impressive, considering Monroe is not a RFA this summer, or next summer...not to mention there is a zero percent chance he allows Monroe to walk at any price, so the soonest Monroe will have a chance to leave town as a UFA is sometime between 2018 and 2019....

No not in this thread, but in many other threads over the years.

I'm quite aware Monroe won't be a RFA this year. I said when he becomes one.

Kid Minneapolis
03-23-2012, 09:10 AM
I'd be happy if we were able to accomplish this off season:

- Package Collison and.... Granger for an elite PG (Rondo or D-Will) and change.
- Use our cap-space to bring in a really good SG or SF
- Move PG to SF if we bring in a SG.
- Sign Oden to a cheap contract and see what happens. Could you imagine a mostly healthy Oden off the bench?

Imagine a starting line-up of:

PG - Rondo or D-Will
SG - Gordon
SF - PG
PF - West
C - Hibbert

and a bench of:

PG - Hill
SG - Barbosa/Jones
SF - TBD/Jones?
PF - Hansbrough/Amundson
C - Oden/Amundson