PDA

View Full Version : Hunger Games?

Will Galen
03-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Anyone read the Hunger Games trilogy? I'm well into book three and think I will go to the movie too. It opens tomorrow.

graphic-er
03-22-2012, 12:46 PM
Japanese did it first
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266308/

good movie, very disturbing.

Pig Nash
03-22-2012, 02:01 PM
Wife and I will go, maybe not opening weekend.

Sparhawk
03-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Yahoo is taking some people at my office to the 3:30 showing today in Atlanta. I can't go cause of training.

I am going Sat or Sun. Looks real good. I'll have to read the books too.

obnoxiousmodesty
03-22-2012, 04:45 PM
Books 1 and 2 were outstanding; I felt Book 3 dropped down a notch in quality but was still a very good read. It's certainly a trilogy well worth reading, and I'm sure I'll see the first film in a few weeks once the opening rushes have died down.

JB24
03-22-2012, 04:53 PM
Japanese did it first

They did it better as well.

Kegboy
03-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Japanese did it first

No, Arnie did it first.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093894/

Seriously, the Romans did it first. There are no new stories, just new takes on old ones.

graphic-er
03-22-2012, 09:41 PM
No, Arnie did it first.

Seriously, the Romans did it first. There are no new stories, just new takes on old ones.

Wrong, Running Man was about Felons running a gauntlet and being chased down by the murdering all-stars.

Nothing about pitting kids against kids. The only similarities are the audience watching the spectacle.

Yes the Romans did do it first with their Slaves.

Dgreenwell3
03-23-2012, 02:20 AM
You know we all scream for originality but it's practically impossible to do these days...Just like TV shows, there comes a time when you run out of material.There are subtle differences between all these films but they all have the same basic idea. Will go see it no doubt.

Pig Nash
03-23-2012, 07:26 AM
It's based on Theseus and the Minotaur right? At least the reaping part.

vapacersfan
03-23-2012, 07:51 AM
You know we all scream for originality but it's practically impossible to do these days...Just like TV shows, there comes a time when you run out of material.There are subtle differences between all these films but they all have the same basic idea. Will go see it no doubt.

Sorry, but I disagree.

Shows like The Wire show you can still be originial.

It may be harder to be extra creative, but it is not impossible. I screened plenty of movies for our Campus Movie Fest last year, and plenty of our shorts were not remakes of willy wonka or freaking a remake or TMNT.

Sorry for the side-rant.

Looking forward to Hunger Games

Will Galen
03-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Five facts about the Hunger Games

http://screenrant.com/hunger-games-movie-books-facts-kofi-160434/?utm_source=scribol.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=scribol.com

Sookie
03-24-2012, 12:19 PM
No, Arnie did it first.

Right, it's a completely different story even though there's a similar premise.

First of all, one is a distinctly American story, and the other distinctly Japanese.

Battle Royale, the "battle" "discipline" a Japanese value. The violence. You watched each and every child die. The "horror" was what kids would do to each other. You also had a bit of the "joker" game, because if they didn't kill each other, they'd all die.

In the Hunger games, the violence isn't as important, although it's there. It's more about survival than killing. The real story and horror is the people in the capitol, gleefully watching kids fight to the death while they feast. A social commentary on reality television and the haves and have nots. (With some obvious Roman ties, but even that is very American.)

The movie, IMO, was better than the books.

Unclebuck
03-24-2012, 10:57 PM
I enjoyed the movie. Wasn't great though, never really became emotionally involved in the movie. Also I think with some better editing it could have been better 15 minutes shoter

Will Galen
03-25-2012, 06:59 AM
I enjoyed the movie and got into it, and I thought the acting was very, very, good. However, I actually I think the movie should have been longer. I don't think you will get really involved in the movie, or understand it unless you read the books.

Things were not explained in the movie version. Without revealing a movie spoiler for instant, how did Thresh know about Rue and Katness's alliance?

Ownagedood
03-25-2012, 07:10 AM
I loved the movie and hadn't read any of the books before hand.... but after the movie was over, I really wanted to know what was about to happen, I could tell it was something big, so I downloaded books 2 and 3 on my Ipad.. I'm already halfway thru the second book.. really good so far.

Sparhawk
03-26-2012, 08:02 AM
Watched the movie on Sunday.

Just plain awesome!

Unclebuck
03-26-2012, 10:08 AM
I just thought it was a little flat overall - maybe too controlled. Needed a little more spark for this type of movie. Also it had almost no humor

Sparhawk
03-26-2012, 10:47 AM
I just thought it was a little flat overall - maybe too controlled. Needed a little more spark for this type of movie. Also it had almost no humor

It was a very somber movie. But reading the synopsis for the books (I'll get the books later), there doesn't seem to be much humor. That's probably is what's missing.

Since86
03-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Went and watched the movie last night. I thought it was amazing too. I'm starting the book now, and I see that it's only about 1000 pages for all three of them combined. I'm sure I'll have it knocked out by the end of the week.

I'm hoping that this story follows the usual path of book>>>>>>movie.

Unclebuck
03-26-2012, 11:37 AM
It was a very somber movie. But reading the synopsis for the books (I'll get the books later), there doesn't seem to be much humor. That's probably is what's missing.

I'm probably just being too critical. It was a good movie. Don't want humor just for humor sake. It was a good movie, but IMO not a great movie.

Major Cold
03-26-2012, 12:20 PM
I loved it. This series could can a larger following than LOTR, Twilight, and Harry Potter because it is cross-generational off the start.

Sparhawk
03-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Went and watched the movie last night. I thought it was amazing too. I'm starting the book now, and I see that it's only about 1000 pages for all three of them combined. I'm sure I'll have it knocked out by the end of the week.

I'm hoping that this story follows the usual path of book>>>>>>movie.

Just 1000 altogether. That's short.

I'm used to Robert Jordan and even Patrick Rothfuss. Each of their books is around 1000 pages or more. lol

Stryder
03-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Just 1000 altogether. That's short.

I'm used to Robert Jordan and even Patrick Rothfuss. Each of their books is around 1000 pages or more. lol

You have to realize that the books have a target audience of 13-20 years of age.

ilive4sports
03-27-2012, 04:55 AM
I didn't see the movie, but I was watching Conan and one of the main male characters (i think?), well he is Thor's younger brother.

Since86
03-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Got about 100 pages left in the second book. The first book was a little slow, seeing as how I just watched the movie and it was a pretty good adaptation now looking back on it, but now that I'm into unseen territory it's really coming alive.

It's made these last two really slow days at work much more bearable.