PDA

View Full Version : Best place to eat near the Fieldhouse?

ASkin_ANight
03-22-2012, 11:46 AM
And please no one say Steak 'n Shake.

BillS
03-22-2012, 11:51 AM
I'd have to know what you want for food. Fancy steakhouses abound (Mo's, St. Elmo's, Mortons), there's a Brazilian MEAT place (Fogo de Chao), a bunch of good brewpubs, decent Sushi, whaddaya want?

ASkin_ANight
03-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Anything really. Just curious as to what your guys' favorite places in the area are.

Pacerblue
03-22-2012, 11:59 AM
I like the ram and adobos has great fish tacos.

Sandman21
03-22-2012, 12:02 PM
Anything really. Just curious as to what your guys' favorite places in the area are.

Well, I was going to say Steak and Shake.......:laugh:

But since I'm a cheapskate, I usually eat at either the Arby's or Subway on South Street.

travmil
03-22-2012, 12:03 PM
If you wanst steak go for Fogo de Chao. It's a bit pricey but it's all you can eat. Dinner for two will run you over $100. Just be prepared for someone to have to roll you over to BLF for the game.

Infinite MAN_force
03-22-2012, 12:08 PM
Does it have to be walking distance? I think Bourbon St. Distillery has great food for a bar, its downtown but closer to IUPUI than the fieldhouse.

Eddie Gill
03-22-2012, 12:09 PM
My girlfriend and I will be coming to town Monday for the Heat game. Does anyone have any suggestions for bars/pubs around the Fieldhouse? I was a little young for bars when I lived in Indy so I'm not really sure whats around.

The Sleeze
03-22-2012, 12:11 PM
My wife and I always eat at Scotty's Brewhouse, about 2 blocks North of BLF on Pennsylvania. HUGE outside seating area but it fills up quick on game nights.

http://www.seegullmedia.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Scottys-Brewhouse-01.jpg

pianoman
03-22-2012, 12:13 PM
Harry and Izzy's is my favorite restaurant near BLF.

Day-V
03-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Coaches is good. Scotty's is okay, but way too crowded all the time. The Ram is good, too. Also Champp's is pretty fun.

mildlysane
03-22-2012, 12:39 PM
Now that I live in Florida and cannot have any, I would not hesitate to say the best restaurant near The Fieldhouse is definitely White Castle!!!!! I would kill for a double cheeseburger and sack of fries right now....:mad:

Day-V
03-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Now that I live in Florida and cannot have any, I would not hesitate to say the best restaurant near The Fieldhouse is definitely White Castle!!!!! I would kill for a double cheeseburger and sack of fries right now....:mad:

You'll eat Krystal and you'll like it! :devil:

kielbeze
03-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Because of a certian Austrailian lad I have kind of been hooked on Kilroys as of late.

graphic-er
03-22-2012, 12:48 PM
The Ram has really good loaded nachos.

BillS
03-22-2012, 12:50 PM

Mustard on a slider. Bleah.

mildlysane
03-22-2012, 12:52 PM
:eek: Not even close....both in taste and location. (the nearest Krystal to me is 1 hour away) I do get the box of frozen sliders from the grocery, but they are only a tease.

BillS
03-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Scotty's is good for both food and drink and is pretty close. The Pub is good for atmosphere pre- and post-game but I think their selection isn't the best.

For a bit of a walk I prefer Ram or Rock Bottom. My wife prefers the Claddagh. We've gone with folks to Buffalo Wild Wings before.

For other food, I've been to Adobo and it was pretty good. If you walk north on Delaware a bit you'll get to BARcelona for Tapas (and sangria) or India Garden (excellent Indian food) or even up to Mass Ave.

I think to myself that it really hasn't been that many years ago when the answer would have been "eat? Downtown? Before or after a game? HAHAHAHAHAHA"

BPump33
03-22-2012, 12:56 PM
There's always a Hooters right down the road.

Day-V
03-22-2012, 01:09 PM
:eek: Not even close....both in taste and location. (the nearest Krystal to me is 1 hour away) I do get the box of frozen sliders from the grocery, but they are only a tease.

Oh don't get me wrong, I hate Krystal. I just knew it was the South's White Castle.

Sollozzo
03-22-2012, 01:20 PM
My girlfriend and I will be coming to town Monday for the Heat game. Does anyone have any suggestions for bars/pubs around the Fieldhouse? I was a little young for bars when I lived in Indy so I'm not really sure whats around.

There are a ton. Walk south on Meridian starting at about Maryland Street and you will see plenty. There is the Tilted Kilt (it's in the old Jillians), Kilroy's, The Clauddaugh, Cadillac Ranch, Bartinis, and a couple of smaller ones on that stretch. Georgia Street near the Fieldhouse has Howl at the Moon.

Trader Joe
03-22-2012, 01:33 PM
Because of a certian Austrailian lad I have kind of been hooked on Kilroys as of late.

It took a kid from Australia to get you to go to Kilroy's? For shame.

I like Mo's a lot it has good food and in the bar area it has uh, nice scenery if you know what I mean, I always go there for drinks before the game, but yeah it's a steak place so it's pricey for dinner.

Scotty's is good for a huge beer selection and a big selection of food, food is average bar food. Tilted Kilt is a humorous take on big boobs sell food.

Derek2k3
03-22-2012, 01:41 PM
The Ram, Rock Bottom, Scotty's, Champps.

I think the downtown Kilt is terrible, I've been to half a dozen in other and the service downtown was a joke.

In terms of location, all of the ones I mentioned are about 5-10 minutes from the Fieldhouse.

Trader Joe
03-22-2012, 01:44 PM
Oh yeah, the service at Tilted Kilt sucks, no doubt. I've walked out of there before while waiting on a table it took so long.

BillS
03-22-2012, 01:52 PM
I like Mo's a lot it has good food and in the bar area it has uh, nice scenery if you know what I mean, I always go there for drinks before the game, but yeah it's a steak place so it's pricey for dinner.

I still have a $50 certificate for Mo's that I haven't used. Didn't know anyone hung out there before the game.

2minutes twoa
03-22-2012, 02:00 PM
Scotty's or Kilroy's! The mofo mustard wings at Scotty's are incredible! Get there early on a game night, though. It fills up quick!

Infinite MAN_force
03-22-2012, 02:09 PM
How could I have forgotten Kilroy's? Their stuffed breadsticks are to die for.

I don't get why Scotty's is so popular, I think their food is pretty mediocre.

Day-V
03-22-2012, 02:22 PM

I kinda agree. I normally just get a burger, and I think the Burger across the street at Coaches is way better than Scotty's.

03-22-2012, 02:28 PM
I like to eat at Circle Centre, The Webber Grill or P.F. Chang's is good food for decent money.

Derek2k3
03-22-2012, 02:35 PM
How could I have forgotten Kilroy's? Their stuffed breadsticks are to die for.

I personally like all the craft beers.

Trader Joe
03-22-2012, 02:38 PM
I still have a $50 certificate for Mo's that I haven't used. Didn't know anyone hung out there before the game.

I'm usually there with a friend or two before every game. The staff is so great, the ladies in the bar area are very nice and very attentive and like I said not bad to look at. The manager is also extremely hands on and they always make sure you are taken care of.

If you ever feel like grabbing a drink there before a game Bill feel free to let me know.

ASkin_ANight
03-22-2012, 04:05 PM
If you wanst steak go for Fogo de Chao. It's a bit pricey but it's all you can eat. Dinner for two will run you over $100. Just be prepared for someone to have to roll you over to BLF for the game.

That sounds pretty awesome, but unfortunately I'm just a poor college student. Can't really be blowing $50 on a meal.

ASkin_ANight
03-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Thanks for all the replies, guys. Question though, since I'm not 21 for a few more months, would I be able to get into any of these pubs and bars? I think most places they'll let you in as long as you're over 18, and they'll just put a mark on the back of your hand, but then again I've seen places that only let in 21+.

Naptown_Seth
03-22-2012, 04:19 PM
No holds barred on cost, but with cost being a factor in how much I enjoy the place, downtown resident who eats downtown regularly...
(I will * what you might swing at your price level, # means you can if you are careful)

1) Mo's (not really a close call either, you'll pay and you'll know why you did)

2) #Harry N Izzy (like the menu and decor more than St Elmo and you still get the shrimp cocktail)

3) *Bazbeaux (pepperoni and bacon, love it, new location is better too)

4) St Elmo

5) #Mikado (even without sushi you have a nice teryaki steak too)

6) *Rock Bottom (brew pub food but high quality)

7) Fogo (but so pricey)

9) *Chattham Tap (pub food but great atmosphere and killer summer location - but up at Mass Ave so long walk between here and BLF)

10) *Creation Cafe (north end of canal, best outdoor view in town, go early on weekend game and make a nice downtown day of it)

11) Dunaways (used to be higher, depends on the current chef, not sure about last 6 months)

12) Oceanaire (McCormick's is a cheaper menu though if you want to reduce cost)

13) *Ralph's Great Divide (looks like hole in the wall on New York by 65/70 but it's really good and very pleasant)

14) #Bucca (chain, but still)

15) #PF Chang (ditto)

16) #Palomino (actually don't go as much as we should, solid spot that probably should be higher on the list)

17) #Webber Grill (could be higher, depends on my mood, love the BBQ meatloaf)

18) Morton's (decent but not standout on the high dollar locations)

19) *Chammps (hey, it's a solid sports restaurant with about 50 TVs, plus good location)

I'm not a fan of Ruth's Chris personally. I'd put Shula's on ahead of RC. I've not eaten at Kilroy's since it came in.

I have come to loathe EATING at Scotty's or The Ram. Scotty's has some of the worst service in town and often the food isn't prepared very well. I was very excited when they got that location but the implementation has been severely lacking. Location is great, have some beers there and sit outside in the warm months, but otherwise no thanks.

Ram has always had spotty service: I once waited 20 minutes to GET MY BILL. But they used to have an interesting menu with enough novelty to justify going there. But now the menu is massively reduced and apart from their own microbrews it's no better than Appleby's to me.

Naptown_Seth
03-22-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm usually there with a friend or two before every game. The staff is so great, the ladies in the bar area are very nice and very attentive and like I said not bad to look at. The manager is also extremely hands on and they always make sure you are taken care of.

If you ever feel like grabbing a drink there before a game Bill feel free to let me know.
I'll take you or Bill up on that too.

It's our go-to celebration dinner spot.

Does it have to be walking distance? I think Bourbon St. Distillery has great food for a bar, its downtown but closer to IUPUI than the fieldhouse.
Yeah, I should have put BSD down too. Fun location if you are driving and can park there to eat and then drive on over to the game.

Naptown_Seth
03-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Oh yeah, the service at Tilted Kilt sucks, no doubt. I've walked out of there before while waiting on a table it took so long.
Well that answers my next question. Guess I'll skip that for now.

BTW, another fun thing we like to do if you are doing pubs instead of dinner is grab a drink at a hotel bar. Like Olive's over in the Omni, for example. Nice way to mix up the atmosphere.

If I was going for purely a pre-game pub Pacers experience I'd go to The Pub without a doubt. It's been there for the long haul and feels the most authentically Pacers pre-game. I mean it's right across the street.

Inca Street
03-22-2012, 04:41 PM
The best burgers and rings in town is at.............Working Man's Friend

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/40/442743/restaurant/West/Working-Mans-Friend-Indianapolis

Granville
03-22-2012, 04:41 PM
I always like eating at the Slippery Noodle before games.

Dr. Goldfoot
03-22-2012, 04:42 PM
I like Loughmiller's if I have time and the Legal Beagle for a quick burger and beer. You have to be 21 to get into most places(bars) in Indy. The Elbow Room is 18+ and that's the only one I know anywhere near downtown.

ASkin_ANight
03-22-2012, 04:50 PM
The best burgers and rings in town is at.............Working Man's Friend

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/40/442743/restaurant/West/Working-Mans-Friend-Indianapolis

That sounds good...might try it next time I'm in Indy. I'm a sucker for burger places.

BillS
03-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Ram has always had spotty service: I once waited 20 minutes to GET MY BILL. But they used to have an interesting menu with enough novelty to justify going there. But now the menu is massively reduced and apart from their own microbrews it's no better than Appleby's to me.

Oddly, my experience at Ram has usually been pretty good, and I think they have the best beer of the downtown brewpubs (though Rock Bottom almost ALWAYS has a cask ale on mmmmmmmmmmmmm...)

Yeah, let's do a Mo's night one night. Heaven knows if they'll still honor my certificate (it's an old STH renewal perk), but it has no expiration date on it...

The Sleeze
03-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Pearl Street Pizza has really good pizza and awesome cheesebread.

CableKC
04-17-2012, 01:53 AM
:bump:

I am going through these type of "What to ??? when visiting Indy" threads in preparation for an expected 2nd round playoff trip that I plan to take to Indy. I have a really stupid question....but is there a White Castle that is located in Indy? I am from the West Coast and I'm not really a East Coast guy....but I have been wanting to go to a White Castle just to try out one of their Burgers for lunch.

Do u guys usually have any post game get-togethers at a bar or restaurant near by the Fieldhouse?

Also...what is Indy famous for when it comes to food? Is it steak? My exposure to Indy food only comes from the Commercials that I see on TV....so I can only guess that Indy is famous for McAllister's ice tea :shrug:

TheDon
04-17-2012, 02:07 AM
I like the Tilted Kilt or Bucca Di Beppo if ya go to the Tilted Kilt get the Gaelic Chicken nomnomnom :drool: and the "ambiance" at the kilt isn't too bad either :D

croz24
04-17-2012, 02:22 AM
Shapiro's

mattie
04-17-2012, 03:03 AM
Kilroys is worthless. Going there to drink is one thing, but forget about ever eating there. It's a train wreck. Just saving you time.

Pearl Street Pizzeria has killer food, and a very chill atmosphere.

Roaming Gnome
04-17-2012, 07:02 AM
Kilroys is worthless. Going there to drink is one thing, but forget about ever eating there. It's a train wreck. Just saving you time.

Pearl Street Pizzeria has killer food, and a very chill atmosphere.

Agreed! I love the stuffed bread sticks, but the rest of the food is average at best.

I also have to tip my cap to whoever mentioned "The Working Man's Friend" earlier... It's been a long time since I've ate there, but that is some GREAT chow!

A "soul food" suggestion that I didn't see on here is Maxine's Chicken & Waffles. You just have to go BEFORE the game as it's closed after.

Steagles
04-17-2012, 07:17 AM
Hooters has great food. The waitresses don't hurt anything, either

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

NapTonius Monk
04-17-2012, 07:20 AM
We always hit Dick's Bodacious BBQ up the street from BLF.

MyFavMartin
04-17-2012, 07:32 AM
Elbow room

Sandman21
04-17-2012, 08:29 AM
:bump:

I am going through these type of "What to ??? when visiting Indy" threads in preparation for an expected 2nd round playoff trip that I plan to take to Indy. I have a really stupid question....but is there a White Castle that is located in Indy? I am from the West Coast and I'm not really a East Coast guy....but I have been wanting to go to a White Castle just to try out one of their Burgers for lunch.

Oh there are White Castles in Indy. LOTS of White Castles. Theres one on South Street a couple blocks from the Fieldhouse!.:D

Sollozzo
04-17-2012, 09:05 AM
A "soul food" suggestion that I didn't see on here is Maxine's Chicken & Waffles. You just have to go BEFORE the game as it's closed after.

You have my attention.

IndyJones
04-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Only going to mention places that are within walking distance from the Field House

New Pizza joint, Coal Pizza Company is very very good. http://www.coalpizzacompany.com/ Right next door to the Libertine. Get the Duck Confit Pizza.

Elbow Room has my favorite Nachos in Town.

Killroys has really good drink specials on Tuesdays and Wednessday. Breadsticks are so good as well as their Tatertot Nachos. Couple times I got burgers there they were always overcooked from what I asked for.

If you want something faster but light Pita Pit is good.

I know the girl who owns Bourbon Street Distillery so please frequent there!

Papa Roux in city market is open until 9pm, http://www.paparouxindy.com/ so go there get an awesome Poboy sandwich and try some local beers upstairs at the Tomlinson Tap Room.

CableKC
04-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Oh there are White Castles in Indy. LOTS of White Castles. Theres one on South Street a couple blocks from the Fieldhouse!.:D
Cool....I know where I will be going to lunch on one of the days that I am there :D .

thefeistyone
04-17-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm kind of partial to Chatham Tap on Mass ave. We like to eat there before or after games. It's got more of a soccer theme, but they still play pacer games. If you need a place close to the arena then it's Scotty's all the way. I love that patio.

BRushWithDeath
04-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Papa Roux in city market is open until 9pm, http://www.paparouxindy.com/ so go there get an awesome Poboy sandwich and try some local beers upstairs at the Tomlinson Tap Room.

I've never been to the new location at the market but the original is near my office.

It very well may be favorite lunch spot in the city.

duke dynamite
04-17-2012, 02:56 PM
I can vouch for Papa Roux. It's really, really good.

Ramitt
04-17-2012, 03:57 PM
City Market, mostly for the beer at the Tomlison Tap room. The crepes kick *** as well.