PDA

View Full Version : Can somebody please explain the standings to me

Volmancagle17
03-22-2012, 12:38 AM
Im sure this has been discussed here before, but how come we have a better record than the 76ers, by 1.5 games at last check, but are still behind them in the playoff standings??

Psyren
03-22-2012, 12:42 AM
They are leading their division.

Division leaders are always guaranteed a top 4 seed.

- Chicago (Central)
- Miami (Southeast)
-Orlando (Southeast -better record than 76ers)
- Philly (Atlantic)

Lance George
03-22-2012, 12:46 AM
The top-four seeds in each conference are the three division leaders (Chicago, Miami, and Philadelphia), and the non-division-leader with the best record (Orlando).

I we managed to catch Orlando, we'd actually jump two spots in the standings, up to the 3rd seed by virtue of being the non-division-leader with the best record, and by having a better record than the Atlantic-leading 76ers.

TheDavisBrothers
03-22-2012, 12:55 AM
Another important thing to note is, even if we finish technically as the 5th seed, but have a better record then the 4th seed, we get the home court advantage.

Eleazar
03-22-2012, 01:03 AM
Another important thing to note is, even if we finish technically as the 5th seed, but have a better record then the 4th seed, we get the home court advantage.

Wait, wouldn't that mean we are the 4th seed? If the better record gets homecourt then what is the point of having the top 4 seeds consist of the division winners?

Frostwolf
03-22-2012, 01:07 AM
Wait, wouldn't that mean we are the 4th seed? If the better record gets homecourt then what is the point of having the top 4 seeds consist of the division winners?

playoff matchups. 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5. homecourt advantage is determined by record, not seed.

we are not the 4th seed. we are the 5th seed, which so conveniently happens to play the 4th seed anyway.

Eleazar
03-22-2012, 01:12 AM
playoff matchups. 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5. homecourt advantage is determined by record, not seed.

we are not the 4th seed. we are the 5th seed, which so conveniently happens to play the 4th seed anyway.

So in reality the division winner is only guaranteed a top 5 seed, but they still call them the 4 seed because they want to make them feel better.

TheDavisBrothers
03-22-2012, 01:13 AM

We would still technically be called the 5th seed. I don't know, ask the NBA, they came up with the stupid rules...

TheDavisBrothers
03-22-2012, 01:17 AM
So in reality the division winner is only guaranteed a top 5 seed, but they still call them the 4 seed because they want to make them feel better.

Actually a division winner could be the 3 seed and still not get home court if the 6th seed has a better record...

Eleazar
03-22-2012, 02:17 AM
Actually a division winner could be the 3 seed and still not get home court if the 6th seed has a better record...

Yup you are right, I wish they would just call a spade a spade and get rid of the unclear terminology. Personally I think it should be what I thought, before tonight, they had been doing where the division winners are guaranteed a top 4 seed and homecourt.

Professor S
03-22-2012, 07:56 AM
I thought it went according to seed in the first round and then got redistributed by record in the second.

For example, say the season ended today and Sixers were the fourth seed, they'd have home court advantage over the Pacers despite a worse record. But second round forward it doesn't matter - better record has home court advantage.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Grover
03-22-2012, 08:48 AM
I thought it went according to seed in the first round and then got redistributed by record in the second.

For example, say the season ended today and Sixers were the fourth seed, they'd have home court advantage over the Pacers despite a worse record. But second round forward it doesn't matter - better record has home court advantage.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.This was how it was explained to me, but the explainer was very drunk and may not have known what he was talking about...:buddies:

ksuttonjr76
03-22-2012, 08:50 AM
This was how it was explained to me, but the explainer was very drunk and may not have known what he was talking about...:buddies:

So will we or will we not get the home court advantage in the 1st round as the 5th seed? Assuming that we still have the better record when the season ends...

Professor S
03-22-2012, 09:21 AM
From Wikipedia:

"The team that has the best record in each of the three divisions in each conference is declared division champion. The three champions, and another team in the conference with the best record, are seeded one through four by their records. This guarantees that the division champions will be no lower than fourth seed, and also ensures that a conference's two best teams (by record) are ranked as the top two. However, because the NBA does not re-seed its teams and because home court advantage goes to the team with the better record, not the better seeding, division winners are guaranteed no better than a de-facto five seed, as their 4th seeding does not guarantee home court advantage in the first round, and after the first round the 4 vs 5 winner will play the same teams as the loser would have played had they won the first round. This will continue throughout the remainder of the playoffs and to the finals until the 4 vs 5 winner loses a playoff round or wins the championship. Of the remaining eleven conference teams, the four with the best records are seeded fifth through eighth based on their record."

So if I am reading this correctly, fourth seed does NOT guarantee home court advantage in the first round.

Professor S
03-22-2012, 09:25 AM
I've done extensive research, and it's true: in the NBA playoffs, home court advantage for ANY series is determined by record, not seed. So right now, even as de facto fifth seed we'd have home court advantage over the Sixers.

BillS
03-22-2012, 09:31 AM

That would be extremely improbable, as it would imply one division with 4 teams all having better records than the two other division winners. That's the only way you would end up with a 3 and 4 seed with worse records than the 5 and 6 seeds.

LetsTalkPacers
03-22-2012, 09:43 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-o-uEpIk7oic/Tle_H733mNI/AAAAAAAACAo/uWO1kmmHb4o/s1600/Brain-Overload.jpg

IndyHoya
03-22-2012, 11:38 AM
From Wikipedia:

"The team that has the best record in each of the three divisions in each conference is declared division champion. The three champions, and another team in the conference with the best record, are seeded one through four by their records. This guarantees that the division champions will be no lower than fourth seed, and also ensures that a conference's two best teams (by record) are ranked as the top two. However, because the NBA does not re-seed its teams and because home court advantage goes to the team with the better record, not the better seeding, division winners are guaranteed no better than a de-facto five seed, as their 4th seeding does not guarantee home court advantage in the first round, and after the first round the 4 vs 5 winner will play the same teams as the loser would have played had they won the first round. This will continue throughout the remainder of the playoffs and to the finals until the 4 vs 5 winner loses a playoff round or wins the championship. Of the remaining eleven conference teams, the four with the best records are seeded fifth through eighth based on their record."

So if I am reading this correctly, fourth seed does NOT guarantee home court advantage in the first round.

Hmmm, if I'm not mistaken, this is exactly how the Holy Roman Emperor used to be selected!

TheDavisBrothers
03-22-2012, 01:31 PM
That would be extremely improbable, as it would imply one division with 4 teams all having better records than the two other division winners. That's the only way you would end up with a 3 and 4 seed with worse records than the 5 and 6 seeds.

Nobody said it wasn't...

03-22-2012, 01:34 PM
The reason for the rule, is, a divisional leader could be eliminated from playoff contention in a strong conference and weak division. Thus, divisions are provided with representation while teams with strong records are still rewarded.

I don't mind it.

03-22-2012, 01:36 PM
I should say: the possibility of a divisional leader having the 9th best conference record is not probable though it is possible.

Naptown_Seth
03-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Remember there is a rhyme to this reason. You had the Spurs and Dallas face off in round 2 in 05-06 even though they were by far the 2 best teams/records. The Spurs (63 wins) lost to the Mavs (60 wins) while Phoenix (54 wins) got to face and beat the Clips (47 wins). The Clips had "upset" the Nuggets (44 wins) in round 1 due to the division seeding making them the #3 seed.

So an awesome 2nd best record team had to play a #5 seed instead of a #7, and then had to play the #1 team in round 2...the team that won their division. And vice versa the #1 seed had to play the HARDEST schedule to get to the Finals (and they failed), which seems dumb.

Obviously that kinda sucked, just like you would never want to have 1998 be Pacers vs Bulls in ROUND TWO instead of the ECF, which if we had had 3 divisions at the time would have been exactly what would have happened.

As it was in 1998 the Heat still got the #2 seed over the Pacers, meaning that if the Heat hadn't upset the Pacers they would have been given home court advantage despite winning 3 fewer games. It was only the Knicks upset that brought about a Pacers HC and another classic Pacers-Knicks series.

Naptown_Seth
03-22-2012, 04:22 PM
I should say: the possibility of a divisional leader having the 9th best conference record is not probable though it is possible.
The 05-06 season featured Denver with 44 wins and 8th seed Sacto with 44 wins. They split their pair of games and I didn't look further into the tie breakers.

It's not 9th but it was darn close, effectively the 8th best record got a #3 spot and HC.