PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Foster top moments

Pacers4Life
03-21-2012, 03:55 PM
The only right i i have to start this thread is that I'm an Indiana diehard and Jeff embodied everything I ever wanted in a player. I'd really like to hear the memorable moments of Jeff you guys remember.. I'm hoping there's a lot of them.

One of my favorites was in the 04-05 playoff series vs the Detroit Pistons. Game 2: Jeff had 14 points, 10 def rebounds, 10 off rebounds, 2 steals, 2 dimes, 2 blocks, and 3 "come in my house again and see what happens" fouls. It was an incredible stat line that I remember watching and was just amazed how he he could do that.

Judging by the thread Jeff is easily the most popular Pacer since Reggie Miller and frankly I just cant find a way that's worthy of his effort to thank him. This is what I/we've got..

LetsTalkPacers
03-21-2012, 03:59 PM
a little off topic, but my 10 year old daughter has modeled her game after Jeff. Every time she scraps and lays out to get the ball or plays pesky defense. She always says "That was like Foster, right dad?" with a proud look on her face.

Jeff you will be missed

Peck
03-21-2012, 03:59 PM
The only right i i have to start this thread is that I'm an Indiana diehard and Jeff embodied everything I ever wanted in a player. I'd really like to hear the memorable moments of Jeff you guys remember.. I'm hoping there's a lot of them.

One of my favorites was in the 04-05 playoff series vs the Detroit Pistons. Game 2: Jeff had 14 points, 10 def rebounds, 10 off rebounds, 2 steals, 2 dimes, 2 blocks, and 3 "come in my house again and see what happens" fouls. It was an incredible stat line that I remember watching and was just amazed how he he could do that.

Judging by the thread Jeff is easily the most popular Pacer since Reggie Miller and frankly I just cant find a way that's worthy of his effort to thank him. This is what I/we've got..

Your a member of Pacers Digest, you have every right to start a thread.

It's a great idea for a thread at that.

rock747
03-21-2012, 04:06 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WnboXiq33os" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pacers4Life
03-21-2012, 04:13 PM
I was wondering who'd be the first fool to post that video. It is memorable though.. Just not quite the memory I was looking for considering the vibe right now. "Too soon" IMO but I failed to specify any sort of guidelines.. So thanks for the
post?

Pacers4Life
03-21-2012, 04:21 PM
a little off topic, but my 10 year old daughter has modeled her game after Jeff. Every time she scraps and lays out to get the ball or plays pesky defense. She always says "That was like Foster, right dad?" with a proud look on her face.

Jeff you will be missed

Got yourself a fine daughter who knows the meaning of hard work it seems. Let's get that girl a scholarship!

Day-V
03-21-2012, 04:27 PM
His Buzzer-beating 3-ball this season was awesome. Simply awesome.

rock747
03-21-2012, 04:31 PM
I was wondering who'd be the first fool to post that video. It is memorable though.. Just not quite the memory I was looking for considering the vibe right now. "Too soon" IMO but I failed to specify any sort of guidelines.. So thanks for the
post?

Sorry for being that fool. Is this video better?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-2wbkrWJIp0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pacers4Life
03-21-2012, 04:48 PM
I think you know it is.

I feel a lot worse when the person I'm talking about comes back with something else, I really don't like confrontation. I was probably hoping you'd never check this again. Thank you for a real homage to Jeff.

I'd also like to apologize.. It wasn't about you. It was about Jeff

vapacersfan
03-21-2012, 05:00 PM
I always loved Jeff and Auston Croshere when I first became a Pacers fan (besides Reggie)

Of course I grew to love Smits, Davis, etc, but Croshere, Jeff, and Mullin were players who I always felt like brought it every night.

As players came and went, coaches came and went, Jeff was still around. Busting his ***. Never complaining.

Peck said it in another thread. The ultimate professional, IMO

Besides all his great plays over the great years (when we went to the ECF and finally made it to the finals) I will always remember the game where Jeff was on fire and the crowd started chanting his name. Cannot remember if that was a playoff win or a regular season win, but you could just tell Jeff was eating every second if it up.

Foster, Australian for rebound.

Hard work and dedication pays off, though for his sake I hope he did not stick around a year too long for his own health

rock747
03-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Anyone remember the game a few years back (I think they were playing Washington?) where a fan came onto the court, said some things to the players, then jumped up and grabbed the net? He then proceeded to be chased around the court by security until an elusive foot of Jeff Foster tripped up the perpetrator allowing security to apprehend him.

ilive4sports
03-21-2012, 05:36 PM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h21/afaught/1024_foster1.jpg

Putnam
03-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Foster volunteered at the downtown Strawberry Fest two years in a row, and both times he gave me extra.

And he was a pretty good shot from 15 feet, when it was just Dan Burke watching.

Hooray for milk drinkers!

Pacers4Life
03-21-2012, 05:44 PM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h21/afaught/1024_foster1.jpg

THANK YOU! I was going to upload this as well.. This was my screen saver on my school computer all throughout junior high. The best part? Those who don't know need never find out whether he made that or not.. :devil:

ndcoltsnpacers
03-21-2012, 05:48 PM

Great moment, which was followed up by him getting the ball right outside the 3-point arc at the beginning of the 4th and the crowd encouraging him to fire away. You could see he loved that.

Day-V
03-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Great moment, which was followed up by him getting the ball right outside the 3-point arc at the beginning of the 4th and the crowd encouraging him to fire away. You could see he loved that.

15,000+ saying "SHOOOOOOOOT!" in unison. Awesome.

glazedham42
03-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Sorry for being that fool. Is this video better?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-2wbkrWJIp0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for posting. It's nice to look back and see Jeff playing in his heyday. Bring a smile to my face to see him out there banging inside against the opposition while Reg is on the perimeter being double teamed. :D Good times....

LetsTalkPacers
03-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Got yourself a fine daughter who knows the meaning of hard work it seems. Let's get that girl a scholarship!

Unfortunately her handles and jump shot are just like Jeff's too. lol

idioteque
03-21-2012, 06:28 PM
I can't think of one great Foster moment, but then again Foster isn't a conventional Pacers legend, although he is a legend. The greatness of Foster is the hundreds and hundreds of improbably tip ins and offensive rebounds and hustle plays that 99% of players in the league either couldn't accomplish or would be too lazy to do so.

dal9
03-21-2012, 06:32 PM
One of the few games I've attended was a playoff game vs. Miami (can't remember what year) where he scored 20 (Pacers won)...looked for it on YouTube, couldn't find it...somebody should post it if it is out there

MiaDragon
03-21-2012, 06:37 PM

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s4Mu_x7Co0c?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s4Mu_x7Co0c?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

CableKC
03-21-2012, 06:37 PM
Foster's stare down of DRose in last year's Playoffs is my favorite moment. That is the definitive Smashmouth moment of the Playoff series and a moment I will never forget.

Bulls fans hate him for that reason...but that's the very reason why I love him as a Player...he stared down DRose and ( in essense ) the entire Bulls roster showing them that he didn't care who they were.

MyFavMartin
03-21-2012, 06:40 PM
THANK YOU! I was going to upload this as well.. This was my screen saver on my school computer all throughout junior high. The best part? Those who don't know need never find out whether he made that or not.. :devil:

He did. Was watching. Tons of replays when it happened. Phenomenal play and athleticismm

Magic P
03-21-2012, 07:19 PM
My favorite moment of Jeff's career was game 5 vs the Heat. The series was tied two apiece and Jeff came up big by not missing a single shot that night in helping us take the 3-2 lead. We ended the series the next game down in Miami.

Pacers4Life
03-21-2012, 07:54 PM
He did. Was watching. Tons of replays when it happened. Phenomenal play and athleticismm

Shiesty man.. This is sorta why I made this. He made that? I believe you since you say you saw it.. I was always under the impression he missed. I don't remember seeing it in person. I guess I have to check YouTube. Thanks for the knowledge

ASkin_ANight
03-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Not only my favorite Jeff Foster moment, but one of my favorite professional sports related moments ever:

I was in 4th grade, and my dad took me to my first ever Pacers game. After the game we waited with the crowd that gathered by where the players drove out from the Fieldhouse. I was hoping to get a few autographs, or at least for one of the players to acknowledge us. Player after player drove out without so much as looking in our direction. Then Jeff drove out, waved, and gestured for us to follow him. He pulled out and parked on the side of the street right there, unrolled his window, and signed every single piece of memorabilia that was shoved in his face from the line of fans that had gathered. I had him sign my program...when he gave it back I said, "Thanks, Mr. Foster!" and Jeff goes, "You got it kid. And call me Jeff," then he flashed a smile.

I'll never forget it.

Indra
03-21-2012, 09:33 PM
I remember going to preseason games with my brother and just rolling at Foster's gaudy rebound numbers. We got so much enjoyment out of watching him go after the ball like a dog to a bone. Always loved the way he carried himself and played like a professional.

joeyd
03-21-2012, 10:13 PM
Foster's stare down of DRose in last year's Playoffs is my favorite moment. That is the definitive Smashmouth moment of the Playoff series and a moment I will never forget.

Bulls fans hate him for that reason...but that's the very reason why I love him as a Player...he stared down DRose and ( in essense ) the entire Bulls roster showing them that he didn't care who they were.

Can somebody that has the picture of "the stare down" please post it in this thread? Thanks!

rock747
03-22-2012, 12:31 AM
I think you know it is.

I feel a lot worse when the person I'm talking about comes back with something else, I really don't like confrontation. I was probably hoping you'd never check this again. Thank you for a real homage to Jeff.

I'd also like to apologize.. It wasn't about you. It was about Jeff

No big deal. :) I understand why the video could rub you the wrong way in this instance. It wasn't meant to be a knock on Jeff or his career with the Pacers, just a funny video. I'm glad the Pacers are lucky enough to have players like Jeff that are loyal enough to stay around for 13 years.

AesopRockOn
03-22-2012, 01:36 AM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/16827459.jpg

travmil
03-22-2012, 09:01 AM
My favorite thing about Jeff is that he was around the Pacers for 13 years, through the Finals era, the JO/Artest era, the post brawl era, and the Granger/Vogel era. It didn't matter who he was playing for or with. No complaints, no drama, no nothing. Just playing ball as well as he could. Whenever you had idiots like Artest and JOB ruining our team, you could think to yourself "Well, we still have Jeff Foster".

MyFavMartin
03-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Shiesty man.. This is sorta why I made this. He made that? I believe you since you say you saw it.. I was always under the impression he missed. I don't remember seeing it in person. I guess I have to check YouTube. Thanks for the knowledge

I got out of my seat when it happened... (I was at home though... thankfully, I didn't spill my beer.) :buddies:

MyFavMartin
03-22-2012, 09:55 AM
I remember when we traded for him in that draft and I was "Who?" Crickets chirping... Little did I know...

Unclebuck
03-22-2012, 10:11 AM
The game that sticks out in my mind was a playoff game in Detroit I think it must have been 2005 (it was not the 2004 ECF, I know that) Jeff was rebounding and scoring like crazy. Running around, through and over Pistons players for rebounds and put backs.

Yes and here it is. This is the game that sticks out in my mind

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2005/columns/story?id=2058398

Foster's dirty work cleans up Pistons

AUBURN HILLS, MICH. -- So to answer your question, Jeff Foster (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3344) is:

"One of the hardest working guys in this league," Stephen Jackson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3210) said. "He's a guy that doesn't quit, and he's the ultimate professional. When he's not playing, he's the first guy up cheering and when he does play, he goes out and gives 110 percent. Every team in the league needs a Jeff Foster, and it shows in what he did tonight."

Dale Davis (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=404) described Foster as, "A great competitor, a great hustle guy."

"He's paid to do all the little things and dirty things," Reggie Miller (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=231) said. "Tonight he was at his nastiest and dirtiest."

"That's 'Shystie,' " Jamaal Tinsley (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3528) said. "That's our dirty man."

And, boy, can the man clean some glass. The unheralded Foster was a beast off the bench for the Indiana Pacers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=ind) in their 92-83 Game 2 upset of the host Detroit Pistons (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=det), collecting a career-high 20 rebounds (10 at each end -- "10 offensive rebounds in a playoff game is almost unheard of because of the possessions," Miller said), 14 points, two assists, two blocked shots and two steals in 31 minutes. That's what you call putting in work. As one of the Pacers' supporting actors, he stole the show Wednesday the way Jack Nicholson did in "A Few Good Men."

Foster, 6-foot-11, 242-pound center/forward in his sixth year out of Southwest Texas State, was a big reason why Indiana was able to come from down 15 after one and 10 at halftime to even this East semifinal series at a game apiece going to Indianapolis. Among Foster's many highlights: a third-quarter possession during which his two offensive rebounds gave the Pacers second and third shot opportunities, a put-back of a wild Miller miss that broke a 77-all tie with 5 minutes remaining, and a lay-in of Jackson's errant 3-pointer -- Foster's second offensive rebound of the possession -- that put Indy ahead by 11 with 2:40 to go.
Talk about taking over. Between the point when he entered the game in the fourth quarter (7:20 left) and when he left it to a standing ovation from the Pacers' bench, (52 seconds left and Indiana up nine), Foster had 8 points, 6 boards, and a block, and Indiana increased its lead from one to nine.

Foster's performance comes as no surprise. It's what he's done throughout his career, which started when the Warriors drafted him 21st overall in the 1999 draft then dealt him to the Pacers for the draft rights to Vonteego Cummings (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3349) and a future first-round pick. Foster has been of the most productive bench players in the league in terms of rebounding, especially at the offensive end, annually placing among the league leaders in boards per 48 minutes. This year he led the league with 19.3 per 48.

He had 13 boards in 21 minutes in Game 1, providing perhaps the only positive from the Pacers' blowout loss. Foster had a lot to do with what the Pistons didn't do in Game 2, like score in the second half (33 points). Detroit managed only 20 points in the paint for the game and was a minus-9 (52-43) on the boards, with Ben Wallace (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3149) pulling down only one of his 16 at his end.

"He and Dale Davis give us some guys who really grind inside," coach Rick Carlisle said. "It was important tonight after what happened in Game 1 to keep a body in Ben Wallace [15 boards, six offensive Monday night]. You get a game where he only has one offensive rebound, you know your guys are making a real effort against him."

An often-unsung performer, Foster was serenaded with cheers by his teammates as he entered the victorious postgame locker room. He didn't come out until it was time to leave the Palace of Auburn Hills, having declined an invitation to speak to the media from the interview room podium. Said Jackson, "He's not in it to be famous."

Finally, Foster, in his own words:

"It's the same thing I've been doing for going on five or six years in the league," he said.
"Doing whatever I can do to help my team win, feeding off these guys, trying to rebound as many balls as I can. And if I get a chance to make a shot or get a layup or dunk or a free throw, I do what I can.

"I'd just rather give the credit to my teammates. They're the ones missing the shots and I'm just down there cleaning up. I was fortunate to be in the right place at the right time. It's a matter of constant movement and trying to outwork my man and out-hustle my man. A lot of times you don't get the credit for it." Wednesday night was not one of them. "He was the reason why we won this game," Jackson said, "and I don't think anyone can say any differently."

Heisenberg
03-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Gotta love Lance immediately raising his arms as soon as Jeff gets into his motion on that 3 and chasing him down after he drains it. Kid's come a long way as a teammate.

And please, please, don't derail this into a Lance thread.

travmil
03-22-2012, 10:39 AM
It's what he's done throughout his career, which started when the Warriors drafted him 21st overall in the 1999 draft then dealt him to the Pacers for the draft rights to Vonteego Cummings and a future first-round pick.

Does anyone know what the Warriors did with that pick? My guess is that in hindsight they'd have rather had 13 years of Foster than Vonteego or that pick.

Haha I just looked it up...they drafted Troy Murphy with the pick they got in the Foster deal.

Heisenberg
03-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Does anyone know what the Warriors did with that pick? My guess is that in hindsight they'd have rather had 13 years of Foster than Vonteego or that pick.
the pick ended up being....the beloved Troy Murphy

Pacers4Life
03-22-2012, 01:05 PM
This wasn't exactly a "top" moment but my god it made me smile every time.

I'm sure you've all witnessed Jeff absolutely maul someone and get called for the foul.. After which he'd ALWAYS watch it on replay and if by happy chance the camera remained on his face he'd always react with a face that said "Nah I didn't even touch him.." lol 9/10 times it was a hard foul. And jeff NEVER thought he fouled you.

I find that to be annoying if it were 99% of the players in the league.. But with Jeff I couldn't get enoug of it.

Derek2k3
03-22-2012, 01:43 PM
This makes my heart hurt.

I loved this guy, kind of player that makes you proud to be a fan.

Really gonna miss seeing this guy.

I'll never forget his toughness, he could just change the game by intimidating. Consummate professional, all around good guy, PACER.

joeyd
03-22-2012, 01:47 PM
He had 13 boards in 21 minutes in Game 1....

I can remember that there were several nights where Jeff came off the bench, and was just flat out the only guy getting rebounds on either end of the court. Even in one game this year, he came out for a stint of about 6 minutes and got 6 or 7 rebounds in that span. And that was with also deferring to let Tyler get a couple rather than fight him for it. I was amazed at his energy even last year when he did this. The last two years, the stat line was often 4-6 rebounds when he'd play in approximately 12 minute stints, but again, he deferred to let Tyler have many of the rebounds, and was content to just box out. One of the most unselfish players I've ever seen, actually.

Unclebuck
03-22-2012, 02:09 PM
I also loved how Jeff played against the Bulls in last years playoffs. I don't condone getting flagrant fouls, but his style of physical play in that series, gave his teammates confidence. He became the villian to the Bulls fans both in United Center and Conseco. He too took a lot of the attention off the younger Pacers players and set a tone with his physicalness that really helped the Pacers in that series.

That is what a veteran power forward is supposed to do

Derek2k3
03-22-2012, 02:15 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2011-04/61071944.jpg

Pacers4Life
03-22-2012, 04:27 PM
That pic sums it up.. NO FEAR. I miss Jeff more today than I did yesterday. Really hope he's at BLF from time to time