PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wells: Pacers Interested in Ryan Hollins

Lance George
03-21-2012, 03:07 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/MikeWellsNBA

Mike Wells ‏ @MikeWellsNBA
Center Ryan Hollins, who was recently released by Cleveland, is a player the Pacers are interested in

Ryan Hollins | Basketball-Reference.com (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/holliry01.html)

spreedom
03-21-2012, 03:15 PM
I'd be more interested in taking a look at Fesenko (if he isn't signed somewhere overseas) or even Gadzuric before Hollins. He is just terrible.

But we need another big body.

Nuntius
03-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Fesenko isn't signed overseas. I agree with taking a look at Kyrylo first.

That said, I'd have no problem with giving Hollins a try. He is a big body after all and he is going to be serviceable for a 5th big man.

vnzla81
03-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Why don't we aim higher?

Nuntius
03-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Why don't we aim higher?

Cause our aim depends on our needs.

Do we need a good passer who can move the ball? Get Diaw.

Do we need a big body who can protect the rim? Get Fesenko or Hollins.

MiaDragon
03-21-2012, 03:24 PM
"The object of many fans’ wrath for his inability to consistently catch the basketball and finish plays at the rim"

Vomit, we already have one of those and he starts for us. We really do not need another.

Justin Tyme
03-21-2012, 03:25 PM
Why don't we aim higher?

OK, but where?? There aren't alot of options right now. This should have been addressed BEFORE the trade deadline... NOT AFTER. Grrrr!

Pacers4Life
03-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Why don't we aim higher?

You mean like Boris Diaw? I'd rather rent an 8 foot ladder from home depot on a week to week basis.

Lance George
03-21-2012, 03:28 PM
I can't say I've seen him play much, but his numbers look pretty terrible. I would think there has to be someone out there better, even the occasional D-Leaguer.

vnzla81
03-21-2012, 03:28 PM
I rather have Solo than Ryan Hollins, hell I rather not get somebody than have Ryan Hollins.

MiaDragon
03-21-2012, 03:29 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4691129/should-cs-consider-ryan-hollins

One of the world's greatest mysteries is how Hollins can suck so badly at rebounding. He is 7 feet tall, 240 pounds and can jump out of the gym. It seems inconceivable that he would be a below-average rebounder, much less this shockingly below average. Yet last year he was outrebounded by every frontcourt player in the league except for Andrea Bargnani and Brian Cardinal. Wait, it gets better. Among those with better rebound rates than Hollins include Mike Dunleavy, Shane Battier, Evan Turner, Tracy McGrady, Chase Budinger, Thabo Sefolosha and Linas Kleiza. That's a sampling, mind you -- 39 perimeter players were more effective on the glass than Hollins. A lack of strength is partly to blame, which explains Hollins' other standout stat: He committed a foul every 5.94 minutes:laugh:, one of the league's highest rates, and struggled to battle big centers both in the post and on the glass. But he has value in other respects at the defensive end. He's mobile and can defend the pick-and-roll, and graded out well on Syngery. Offensively, he has no skills except a knack for making short runners, but because he can run and jump he gets his share of free points. Hollins can finish, shooting 72.7 percent in the basket area and ranking seventh among centers in TS%. If he could grab a rebound once in a while, those other skills would make him a useful backup center.

* For his career, Hollins owns an abysmal total rebounding rate of 10 percent -- aided considerably by his ability to grab offensive caroms, and a defensive rebounding rate of 11.9 percent. As a means of comparison, old friend Semih Erden, never to be confused with Dennis Rodman, owns career rebounding rates of 12.3 percent overall and 17.1 percent defensively. Maybe that helps explain why Erden is still a Cavs employee.

* In 24 games for the Cavaliers this season, Hollins graded out as merely average offensively (0.848 points per play, 39th percentile), according to Synergy Sports data. He's actually fairly solid going at the basket, thriving as a roll man in the pick-and-roll and putting back misses. As Hollinger notes, his offensive game is highly limited beyond that.

* Defensively, Hollins graded out at "very good" (0.796 points per play, 72nd percentile). The stats suggest his length makes him a serviceable 1-on-1 defender and his athleticism allows him to defend the pick-and-roll. He does struggle in the post.

* There's a reason Hollins has been on four teams in six years: he's a flawed big man, but we'll go back to what we keep saying about Boston: Beggars can't be choosers. The Celtics need size, rebounding, and durability. As Meatlof said, two out of three ain't bad. Boston is such a poor rebounding team overall, maybe it can make him look better by comparison (hey, someone's gotta grab the caroms).

Heisenberg
03-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Hollins is absolutely terrible. He does not deserve another NBA contract.

gummy
03-21-2012, 03:35 PM
You mean like Boris Diaw? I'd rather rent an 8 foot ladder from home depot on a week to week basis.

:laugh:

I don't necessarily agree, but that is just too funny and needs to be acknowledged as the comedy gold it is.

I know nothing about Ryan Hollins.

Ownagedood
03-21-2012, 03:37 PM
Solo 2.0

It's indifferent if we sign him. Just play "The other Jeff" more..

Sandman21
03-21-2012, 03:37 PM
I think the ladder would give more effort than Boris. It would also know when to shoot the ball too. :laugh:

Heisenberg
03-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Solo 2.0

Solo takes dumps bigger than Ryan Hollins

spreedom
03-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Dwayne Jones is another guy that hasn't been seen lately but one that I'd much rather sign.

RWB
03-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Solo 2.0

Well Bird did say the other Jeff was going to get an opportunity not too long ago.

Justin Tyme
03-21-2012, 03:42 PM
I rather have Solo than Ryan Hollins, hell I rather not get somebody than have Ryan Hollins.

I'd forgotten about Solo.

I was a little disgruntled last night when Vogel didn't get Lance and Pendergraph in the game. News flash Vogel, this team is going to need all the Bigs it can use, so get Pendergraph some playing time. With 22 games to go b4 the playoffs, Pendergraph needs all the PT he can get, and that doesn't mean a minute here and there either. Bird gave him a 2 year contract and last week said he was ready to go. Force feed him some PT if necessary. He's can't do any worse than West's recent play.

Trophy
03-21-2012, 03:44 PM
I feel like Pendergraph's name is mentioned on here more times than the amount of SECONDS he's played.

Trophy
03-21-2012, 03:44 PM
I'd forgotten about Solo.

I was a little disgruntled last night when Vogel didn't get Lance and Pendergraph in the game. News flash Vogel, this team is going to need all the Bigs it can use, so get Pendergraph some playing time. With 22 games to go b4 the playoffs, Pendergraph needs all the PT he can get, and that doesn't mean a minute here and there either. Bird gave him a 2 year contract and last week said he was ready to go. Force feed him some PT if necessary. He's can't do any worse than West's recent play.

You can't play everyone and why should we?

Nuntius
03-21-2012, 03:45 PM
Irrelevant fact:

At .658 FT% he seems like a decent FT shooter. That can be said for Penderwall as well, though.

RWB
03-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Vegas odds on how long a certain former Pacer's name gets thrown around as a replacement? :p

spreedom
03-21-2012, 03:50 PM
JO is done for the year. If that's who you meant.

LetsTalkPacers
03-21-2012, 03:51 PM
After losing jeff id look for us to sign someone before the payoffs

LetsTalkPacers
03-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Magnum Rolle is a FA:D

I would honestly like to have Kyrylo Fesenko or even Fabricio Oberto if it came down to it.

Heisenberg
03-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Vegas odds on how long a certain former Pacer's name gets thrown around as a replacement? :p
Chief Harrison?

Justin Tyme
03-21-2012, 04:00 PM
You can't play everyone and why should we?

To get them EXPERIENCE, so they can use it when they do play. If the Pacers get a 2nd round team with some potent bigs, Pendergraph may well be needed. That's when play experience comes into play instead of just waving a towel from the end of the bench.

90'sNBARocked
03-21-2012, 04:53 PM

This is not directed at you but

really even if we sign a Hollins or Solo, are they really going to play much if any? Will either have that dramatic an effect?

crickets chirping

Pacers4Life
03-21-2012, 04:53 PM
I think the ladder would give more effort than Boris. It would also know when to shoot the ball too. :laugh:

Haha I forgot about the ladders ability to "face up"...

THIS: If we're considering hollins I'd rather have Solo. This is barring anybody of any higher caliber clearing waivers or whatever we're all talking about. also agree I'd rather have no one than some of these names

BlueNGold
03-21-2012, 05:02 PM
He's being brought in to increase the other guys' confidence.

cdash
03-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Meh. Whatever.

Anthem
03-21-2012, 05:04 PM
I don't see anybody immediately sign-able that's likely to be better than Solo.

spazzxb
03-21-2012, 05:06 PM
A cheap rest of the season contract to fill out the roster with a bit of size. IF we sign him, I doubt he even plays.

vnzla81
03-21-2012, 05:07 PM
This is not directed at you but

really even if we sign a Hollins or Solo, are they really going to play much if any? Will either have that dramatic an effect?

crickets chirping

What if somebody get's hurt? we know that West, Tyler, Lou and Pendergraph are guys that can get hurt at any time, West had a knee surgery, the same with Pendergraph, Lou was on and off hurt last year, Tyler's vertigo is always there, Roy is the only big we have that never had any kind of health issues.

Again if we are planning in competing we need another big, preferably one that can play multiple positions PF/C and could replace either one of the guys I mentioned in case of an injury or if a player doesn't feel like showing up.

90'sNBARocked
03-21-2012, 05:09 PM
What if somebody get's hurt? we know that West, Tyler, Lou and Pendergraph are guys that can get hurt at any time, West had a knee surgery, the same with Pendergraph, Lou was on and off hurt last year, Tyler's vertigo is always there, Roy is the only big we have that never had any kind of health issues.

Again if we are planning in competing we need another big, preferably one that can play multiple positions PF/C and could replace either one of the guys I mentioned in case of an injury or if a player doesn't feel like showing up.

a lot of "what if's" but see your point

I would look at Solo first , pro rated minimum

vnzla81
03-21-2012, 05:13 PM
I don't know where to put this.

Sam Amick ‏ @sam_amick Reply Retweet Favorite ∑ Open
Source says Portland has been awarded forward JJ Hickson from waivers. Golden State misses out.

vnzla81
03-21-2012, 05:15 PM
a lot of "what if's" but see your point

I would look at Solo first , pro rated minimum

Well remember that last year against the Bulls he had 3 bigs with some type of injuries, Tyler got hit in the head, Josh had a knee issue and Foster with his back issues, anything can happen.

Stuckey7370
03-21-2012, 05:24 PM
I feel like Pendergraph's name is mentioned on here more times than the amount of SECONDS he's played.

But not nearly as much as FSN IN runs the halftime interview with him.

D-BONE
03-21-2012, 05:59 PM
No Jeff, no opportunity to replace with something halfway decent. Very unfortunate timing. Ugh.

BringJackBack
03-21-2012, 06:08 PM
I thought that before Hollins arrived in Cleveland, when he was with Minnesota, he was really playing well for them?

I think that the fact that he can effortlessly dunk can help us alone; we don't have that with any of our big men at all.

QuickRelease
03-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Why don't we aim higher?

How much higher is realistic for the last big off the bench?

Cherokee
03-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Haha I forgot about the ladders ability to "face up"...

I'm afraid the ladder would constantly get called for traveling -- you know, steps. (I do apologize).

tadscout
03-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Interested in does not = we will sign him soon.

I'm sure we are interested in many big men, and we are just doing due diligence b4 we choose one.

Not like we need someone now, unless 2 bigs get hurt. Even then I could see us going smaller w/ Danny playing some time at PF, before some random dude (that no other team has seen fit to sign yet) we bring in this late in the season gets time.

Calm down folks, the sky isn't falling.

Hibbert
03-21-2012, 06:22 PM
Hollins played with Collison at UCLA. Collison and Pendergraph were on the same team in hs and all three have played AAU ball together before, trained together with Rico Hines, and played in the Sanyo classic together as teammates. We all knew JP and DC were old friends and Hollins is just as close with them two. I wouldn't mind giving Hollins a look I guess, he's a big body and does have playoff experience outside of the first round.

Speed
03-21-2012, 06:24 PM
What if one of the 5 remaining bigs go down?

You should pick up a body, imo. Where's Brad Miller?

Speed
03-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Wait, don't we still have one of our Euros stashed away, when is their season over?

CableKC
03-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Well, if we are lucky....Hollins will find the lure of playing for the Cs too much and goes there so that we don't have to sign him.

If we just need a warm body that is big and can play defense....I'd rather go with Fesenko.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4691149/should-the-cs-consider-kyrylo-fesenko

Should the C's consider Kyrylo Fesenko
MAR 21 2:30 PM ET
By Chris Forsberg

One of the more mysterious names in the Celtics' big-man search is former Utah center Kyrylo Fesenko. At 7-foot-1, 288 pounds, Fesenko is a monster of a big man and he's only 25 years old. But not only has he played sparingly in four NBA seasons with the Utah Jazz, the Ukraine import has sat out the entire 2011-12 season after undergoing offseason knee surgery in September. Should the Celtics consider him?

Let's break it down:

* During our "Good in Green" summer series, we pegged Fesenko as an ideal backup big man for Boston, particularly because of his defensive prowess. From what we wrote then:

According to Synergy Sports, Fesenko allowed a mere .716 points per play last season, ranking him in the 96th percentile among all NBA players. Of all the hoopsters that had at least 100 defensive plays last season, Fesenko ranked fourth overall in points per play (Boston's Jermaine O'Neal was second at .675 points per play). Opponents shot a mere 34.2 percent against Fesenko and, while he's still susceptible to post-up situations, he excelled against the pick-and-roll and especially in spot-up situations where players must shoot over his long frame (Fesenko has a 9-foot-4 standing reach).

* But don't take our word on his defense. Here's an excerpt from John Hollinger's scouting report:

The best-kept secret in the NBA right now is Fesenko's monstrous defensive stats. It's not that one or two metrics point out his defensive value; it's that all of them do, without any pointing to the contrary. Last season the Jazz were an eye-popping 11.91 points per 100 possessions better on defense with Fesenko on the floor, and this is not a new trend. The season before it was 8.67; in limited minutes his first two seasons he also had a strong differential. Synergy Stats, meanwhile, rated Fesenko as the second-best defender in the entire league among players who faced at least 150 opponent plays; the season before he was first. And according to 82games.com, opposing centers had a PER of just 10.4 against him; the season before it was 12.9. Despite his size, Fesenko doesn't block a ton of shots or dominate the boards. He just uglies up the game for opponents with his sheer hugeness, especially since he moves his feet fairly well for his size. And he can still get better -- he wasn't always fully engaged in Utah and needs to step up his commitment.

* So now the downsides: Fesenko is rather atrocious offensively and has virtually no game outside of 3 feet from the basket (and he struggles at the charity stripe when teams make him earn his points). His defensive stats are phenomenal, but they don't reflect his propensity to foul, which has limited his ability to stay on the floor.

* Ultimately, it comes down to health. Fesenko seemed bound for the Golden State Warriors before the season, only to have the sides "mutually" agree to cancel a one-year deal in order to allow Fesenko time to get in game shape. The Dallas Mavericks appeared poised to swoop him up soon after, but that never materialized, either. Three months later, is Fesenko any closer to game shape? And why hasn't he been swooped up before this point?

Final thoughts: If the Celtics are looking for pure size, they won't do better than Fesenko. While the team would probably prefer a little bit more offense given the second-unit struggles to produce points at times this season, Fesenko's defense makes up for that as he'll prevent as many points as most backup bigs would generate. Fesenko has quality NBA experience, including some playoff time during the 2009-10 season. He rebounds better than some of the other available options on the open market and certainly deserves consideration if he's physically ready to contribute.

I know that we are talking about the "guy to play after Amundson" ( who used to be Foster ) but now...I'd take Fesenko over Pendegraph. I want beef that can play defense that we can throw at the Bulls, Heat and/or Sixers!

His defense sounds like Smashmouth to me.

MiaDragon
03-21-2012, 06:29 PM
How much higher is realistic for the last big off the bench?

the problem is Jeff was going to be the FIRST big off the bench so yea its a bit of an issue.

BornReady
03-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Hollins is pretty bad

Its never a good sign if you're a starter for a team and then proceed to get cut

CableKC
03-21-2012, 06:32 PM
the problem is Jeff was going to be the FIRST big off the bench so yea its a bit of an issue.
To be clear....Amundson is now going to be the 1st Big Man off the bench....the question is who plays behind Amundson when it comes Playoff time IF Hansbrough is struggling ( which is a concern when it comes to his consistency ).

vnzla81
03-21-2012, 06:32 PM
What if one of the 5 remaining bigs go down?

You should pick up a body, imo. Where's Brad Miller?

Retiring after the season.

vnzla81
03-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Thank you Celtics :happydanc

Steve Bulpett ‏ @SteveBHoop Reply Retweet Favorite ∑ Open
Celts will get Ryan Hollins if he clears waivers, according to source who may or may not have missed out on him (he wouldn't say).
Retweeted by Chris Mannix

D-BONE
03-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Okay call up Fesenko or Diaw.

LetsTalkPacers
03-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Okay call up Fesenko
fixed

Nuntius
03-21-2012, 06:55 PM
Wait, don't we still have one of our Euros stashed away, when is their season over?

The Turkish Basketball League has 7 games remaining in the regular season. Then the playoffs start. Stanko's team is in the title hunt and the Finals usually take place in late May or mid June.

HOOPFANATIC
03-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Sorry if this was mentioned in this thread already but is Josh Powell still available? Knew he was back from China, but didnt know if he signed yet. Former Pacer!

BornReady
03-21-2012, 07:00 PM
Magnum Rolle

Strummer
03-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Aren't there any young bigs in the D league that we could sign to a 10 day contract? Someone excelling at rebounds and blocks? I'd prefer to have a guy like that come in for a look see.

Steagles
03-21-2012, 07:10 PM
Classy guy who has a position waiting at a desk. Thank you, Jeff!

Sent from my iPad 2 via Tapatalk

CableKC
03-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Aren't there any young bigs in the D league that we could sign to a 10 day contract? Someone excelling at rebounds and blocks? I'd prefer to have a guy like that come in for a look see.
He plays for the Fort Wayne Mad Ants...but I guess he was drafted by the Pistons?

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/vernon_macklin/index.html

:shrug:

Steagles
03-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Please get Macklin! I forgot about him

Strummer
03-21-2012, 07:21 PM
He plays for the Fort Wayne Mad Ants...but I guess he was drafted by the Pistons?

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/vernon_macklin/index.html

:shrug:

Yeah, looks like he's on the Pistons 15 man roster. So he belongs to them. Anybody else available?

QuickRelease
03-21-2012, 07:23 PM
I doubt Hollins is being looked at as a Jeff Foster replacement, at least in terms of expected production.

granger4mvp
03-21-2012, 07:24 PM
Did I miss something or we signing another big

CableKC
03-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Ask and ye shall receive ;)

Yeah, looks like he's on the Pistons 15 man roster. So he belongs to them. Anybody else available?
Here's another (http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/david_harrison/)

TheDavisBrothers
03-21-2012, 07:28 PM
Ask and ye shall receive ;)

Here's another (http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/david_harrison/)

:notamused:

BlueNGold
03-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Why are we looking at Ryan Hollins when we could have signed McRoberts pretty cheaply still leaving a ton of cap room? Ryan Hollins is 7 foot, but so was John Edwards.

vnzla81
03-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Why are we looking at Ryan Hollins when we could have signed McRoberts pretty cheaply still leaving a ton of cap room? Ryan Hollins is 7 foot, but so was John Edwards.

Probably because he is a "rim protector" :lol:

Shade
03-21-2012, 07:34 PM
No thanks.

Nuntius
03-21-2012, 07:37 PM

Clever comeback.

I guess you prefer Diaw protecting your rim. Maybe you want your paint covered in burgers so he embarks on a mission to catch them all.

AusPACER
03-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Portland just waived Okur for Hickson. I would rather Okur, he can stretch the D a bit cause he can shoot it. We need insurance bigs and he could be real nice.

BlueNGold
03-21-2012, 07:43 PM
Portland just waived Okur for Hickson. I would rather Okur, he can stretch the D a bit cause he can shoot it. We need insurance bigs and he could be real nice.

Okur would be a FAR better option.

Of course, $

vnzla81
03-21-2012, 07:44 PM

Yeah I was going to ask the same thing but wasn't he hurt?

BornReady
03-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Okur would be a FAR better option.

Of course, $
I don't think he'd cost much because he's coming off an achilles tendon injury and is probably nowhere near as good as he was.

BlueNGold
03-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Yeah I was going to ask the same thing but wasn't he hurt?

He could have a broken leg and he'd score more than Hollins..:D

shags
03-21-2012, 07:46 PM

Okur's out for the season. That's why Portland released him.

CableKC
03-21-2012, 07:47 PM
I don't think he'd cost much because he's coming off an achilles tendon injury and is probably nowhere near as good as he was.
He has some type of injury....from what I read...a back injury?

Either way, he's not an option....or...at the very least...he's as much of an option as JONeal is.

vnzla81
03-21-2012, 07:48 PM

Yeah but he wouldn't be able to be a "rim protector" :laugh:

Nuntius
03-21-2012, 07:51 PM

Okur is retiring after this season.

Edit: Ok, I read the reports again. False alarm. He is not retiring yet.

Nuntius
03-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Yeah but he wouldn't be able to be a "rim protector" :laugh:

You cannot protect the rim when you play at the 3 point line ;)

AusPACER
03-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Okur's out for the season. That's why Portland released him.

Well there goes that idea

vnzla81
03-21-2012, 07:55 PM
If he is out for the season so why this guys is writing this?

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/03/21/blazers-release-mehmet-okur-to-sign-j-j-hickson/

Mehmet Okur will soon be on the open market as he was released Wednesday by the Portland Trail Blazers, who signed J.J. Hickson.
Okur was acquired last week in the deal that sent Gerald Wallace to the New Jersey Nets. He never took the court for Portland.
Okur can be claimed on waivers, but the claiming team must honor his contract. If he clears waivers, he becomes a free agent.
A 7-footer with 3-point range who can rebound a little, Okur would be an ideal fit for the Boston Celtics, who are woefully short on big men for their postseason push.
Hickson was released Monday by the Sacramento Kings, less than a year after they sent Omri Casspi and a future first-round pick to Cleveland for him. He averaged better than 13 points per game with the Cavs last season but is averaging just 4.7 points and 5.1 rebounds this season.
The Blazers made a handful of trades at last weekís deadline and also fired coach Nate McMillan as they look toward the future.
ďWe like J.J.ís energy and physicality,Ē Blazers acting GM Chad Buchanan said. ďHeís a young but experienced player who can help our front line.Ē
A native of Turkey, Okur played his first two seasons with Detroit, winning a championship ring in 2004. He spent the next seven seasons with Utah and was an All-Star in 2007 but missed most of last season recovering from a torn Achilles tendon suffered in the 2010 playoffs.
The Nets acquired Okur from the Jazz just before the start of the season when center Brook Lopez went down with a foot injury. Okur has averaged 13.5 points and 7.0 rebounds in 634 career games.

Nuntius
03-21-2012, 07:57 PM

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/03/21/blazers-release-mehmet-okur-to-sign-j-j-hickson/

Because people usually do not know what they talk about.

Marlin
03-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Okur is retiring after this season.

Edit: Ok, I read the reports again. False alarm. He is not retiring yet.

He's not retiring yet, but he's close. His back issues are Fosteresque (yes, I just made that up).

Kemo
03-21-2012, 08:40 PM

LMMFAO!!
After last night's debacle between K.Mart and Tyler, I wonder if that is EXACTLY what Larry is looking for...

PGisthefuture
03-21-2012, 08:50 PM
I haven't read through all the comments, but I heard the Celtics were going to sign him if he makes it through waivers. Has anybody heard anything else?

spreedom
03-21-2012, 11:02 PM

Because Sheridan's an idiot who is happier to post an exclusive "scoop" that he made up versus being the second to report a real story.

ECKrueger
03-21-2012, 11:07 PM
I'd rather have Jeff replace Jeff.

bambam
03-22-2012, 12:05 AM
http://www.sportsagentusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/paul-sturgess1.jpg

Paul "Tiny" Sturgess

Hey, he is a bigman at 7'8"

Lance George
03-22-2012, 12:25 AM
Of potential NBDL call-ups, Jamal Sampson (http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/jamal_sampson/) interests me. He's got excellent size, being listed at 6'11", 257 lb., and he has some NBA experience (72 games; 631 minutes), but he's been out of the league since 2007, bar some training camps, including with Boston this past winter. He's currently 28, turning 29 in May.

From what I can gather, he has a limited offensive game, but he's an outstanding rebounder (including in his brief NBA time) and a good shot blocker. If we're desperate for another big man, he might be worth a look. This is assuming he's healthy; I saw a report from January stating he had an injury, but it didn't go into details, and searching for NBDL news is like searching for bigfoot.

Yes, I realize this entire post reads like I'm Jamal Sampson's agent.

Lance George
03-22-2012, 12:40 AM
Has Okur officially been ruled out for the season? All I can find is an article from two weeks ago claiming he's out "indefinitely."

Nets notes: Mehmet Okur out indefinitely - NorthJersey.com (http://www.northjersey.com/sports/142172313_Nets_notes__Mehmet_Okur_out_indefinitely .html)

Nets center Mehmet Okur missed his 22nd game in a row Friday night because of back trouble. He hasnít played since Jan. 25 in Philadelphia. And it sure doesnít sound as if heíll be back soon.

"We donít have a time frame right now," Nets coach Avery Johnson said. "Right now, heís out indefinitely and we donít know what that means. We donít know if itís four more weeks, five more weeks, the rest of the season."

The Nets hoped to have Okur return after the All-Star break, but Johnson said Okurís back "has not responded at all" to treatment. The Netsí training staff has tried everything from epidurals to acupuncture. Johnson also said that surgery is "not the answer" according to doctors.

Okur was traded to the Nets only days before the start of the season; the Nets sent a future second-round pick to Utah. Okur was supposed to replace Brook Lopez as the teamís starting center, after Lopez suffered a broken bone in his right foot causing him to miss the first 32 games of the season. But Okur has played only 17 games and averaged a mere 7.6 points.

It doesnít appear heíll be making any more contributions in the near future.

Rotoworld links to a Greek article (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=800&line=174400&spln=1) which they claim says he's out for the reason. As far as I can tell from reading a translated version of the page (http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=tr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.solobasket.net%2F2012%2F03%2Foz el-iste-memonun-durumu.html&act=url), it looks like it's the same information as posted in the above article: No timetable, and not expected to return, but not necessarily done for the year.

I do wonder how quickly Okur would heal-up if he suddenly found a roster spot on a solid playoff team.

TheDavisBrothers
03-22-2012, 12:50 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/17953370/blazers-claim-f-jj-hickson-off-waivers-release-c-mehmet-okur

This says he's out for the year, tho it might be just saying that thinking its a foregone conclusion...

imbtyler
03-22-2012, 02:21 AM
I'm (one of the few) interested in Ryan Hollins. The waiver pool is slim pickin's as it stands, and with Jeff officially gone (and only Jeff and Lou to replace him), we need a big man who can be the BizarRoy: long, thin, athletic, bouncy, raw, less offensively skilled, etc.

After he clears waivers, can't we at least treat him to a 10-day contract or something? See how he fits with some of Lou's and Jeff's minutes, and if he remains insignificant, it's temporary, and he'll disappear into the waiver pool.

wintermute
03-22-2012, 06:23 AM
If we really want Hollins, we can just claim his salary (around $2.4m, should be more than half paid already). Though frankly I think Solo might be better than him.

travmil
03-22-2012, 07:00 AM
Considering all the options available, I think Solo is the best, or at the very least the most practical. The return of the Hans-Solo lineup will strike fear into the heart of the Empire. Or maybe the Empire's bench.

Nuntius
03-22-2012, 10:31 AM
Rotoworld links to a Greek article (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=800&line=174400&spln=1) which they claim says he's out for the reason. As far as I can tell from reading a translated version of the page (http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=tr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.solobasket.net%2F2012%2F03%2Foz el-iste-memonun-durumu.html&act=url), it looks like it's the same information as posted in the above article: No timetable, and not expected to return, but not necessarily done for the year.

That's a Turkish article (as expected for Okur) not a Greek one :p

Nuntius
03-22-2012, 10:32 AM
The return of the Hans-Solo lineup will strike fear into the heart of the Empire. Or maybe the Empire's bench.

I have no idea why this is not thanked a bazillion times yet.

Ratking
03-22-2012, 10:56 AM
Something about Hollins irks me. He always seemed like a total *******. Maybe that would work in our favor, but I feel like his assholiness affects opponents and teammates alike. I just get a bad vibe. On the other hand I love Krylo, and have no idea why he isn't on a roster right now.

travmil
03-22-2012, 10:57 AM
I have no idea why this is not thanked a bazillion times yet.

Probably because it's about the 4 billionth Hans-Solo joke told on this forum.

PGisthefuture
03-22-2012, 11:06 AM
Something about Hollins irks me. He always seemed like a total *******. Maybe that would work in our favor, but I feel like his assholiness affects opponents and teammates alike. I just get a bad vibe. On the other hand I love Krylo, and have no idea why he isn't on a roster right now.

We need a guy like that in my opinion, even though he won't get much playing time.

Nuntius
03-22-2012, 11:12 AM
Probably because it's about the 4 billionth Hans-Solo joke told on this forum.

That's the first time I saw this, though :p

greengirl33
03-22-2012, 11:32 AM
I haven't read through all the comments, but I heard the Celtics were going to sign him if he makes it through waivers. Has anybody heard anything else?

This was just posted a few hours ago - sounds like as soon as waivers clear, he's a Celtic. Not happy but I guess right now a body is a body.

http://www.celticstown.com/2012/03/22/even-if-ryan-hollins-signs-boston-celtics-probably-not-done-in-free-agency/