PDA

View Full Version : Kings buy out Hickson

2minutes twoa
03-19-2012, 04:41 PM
@WojYahooNBA: JJ Hickson has completed a buyout with the Kings, league source tells Y!

Wouldn't mind picking him up!

PacerPenguins
03-19-2012, 04:43 PM
we should get him...

Ace E.Anderson
03-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Agreed!

I just saw this and thought this was exactly the type of player that we NEED.

Heisenberg
03-19-2012, 04:48 PM
I'd be cool with picking him up, but don't set your expectations very high if it were to happen.

pacergod2
03-19-2012, 04:56 PM
I'd be cool with picking him up, but don't set your expectations very high if it were to happen.

I hope he would take to our veteran presences to grow as a player. He is immature but talented.

tora tora
03-19-2012, 05:00 PM
lol at these threads :laugh:

Peck
03-19-2012, 05:05 PM
Yes yes yes yes hell yes!!!!!!!

He won't solve all of our problems but man it sure would be nice to have another back up to put in when Tyler is struggling.

Nuntius
03-19-2012, 05:13 PM
He is talented but it's not that he is exactly what we need. That said, it would be nice if we were to pick him up.

pacergod2
03-19-2012, 05:20 PM
He is talented but it's not that he is exactly what we need. That said, it would be nice if we were to pick him up.

His skill set covers a lot of our weaknesses. He is a solid back to the basket player who can score and give us minutes at the 4 or 5. He is a fairly tough rebounder, when he cares to be. He is athletic and blocks shots effectively. His age is in line with the rest of our young guys. The two biggest obstacles to him coming here is that he will want to go to Miami and his attitude issues are probably in the red flag area for this franchise. I just think he has been so frustrated with the situation after Lebron left and then going to Sacramento which is abyssmal right now with no leadership.

I think it is a great opportunity to take a chance on a young player with terrific talent. He just needs to be in a good situation where there are veterans he would listen to. He needs to get better and grow his game, there is no question about that. His talent and immaturity at this point are undeniable.

PGisthefuture
03-19-2012, 05:21 PM
There are so many decent players getting waived. Larry would be crazy not to pick one of them up. Hickson is now my top preference because of his youth.

troyc11a
03-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Everyone on here does realize that this guy is so good that the Kings are paying him to play against them right? If he was the tough rebounder and defender would a team really pay him to leave? Just asking, because I would rather sign players other teams want than players they are paying to go away.

pacergod2
03-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Everyone on here does realize that this guy is so good that the Kings are paying him to play against them right? If he was the tough rebounder and defender would a team really pay him to leave? Just asking, because I would rather sign players other teams want than players they are paying to go away.

We have an open roster spot to improve our team right now and into the future. Why would you be so against getting a player that probably had more issues with management than it was that they didn't think he was talented. Plus, he was an expiring contract.

So you are saying that Peyton Manning isn't worth the Broncos time?

Lance George
03-19-2012, 05:26 PM
He's having a terrible season, but he's shown glimpses of promise in the past (14 & 9 in 28 minutes last year), and is still only 23. Turiaf or Diaw would likely help out more, but Hickson would be a solid consolation prize.

troyc11a
03-19-2012, 05:28 PM
We have an open roster spot to improve our team right now and into the future. Why would you be so against getting a player that probably had more issues with management than it was that they didn't think he was talented. Plus, he was an expiring contract.

You just compared Peyton Manning to JJ Hickson? Ha Ha

troyc11a
03-19-2012, 05:36 PM
He's having a terrible season, but he's shown glimpses of promise in the past (14 & 9 in 28 minutes last year), and is still only 23. Turiaf or Diaw would likely help out more, but Hickson would be a solid consolation prize.

He is not yet 24 y/o and two teams have shipped him out. A 4/5 that is good will not get shipped around unless there are some real problems with him. They dont exactly grow on trees.

I would rather use the cap space on a player that can help. Not a project like Hickson. He is really a lateral move from Amundson. I want to see them get better.

Hold the money - make a trade next year for a player they choose rather than sifting thru everyone else's junk.

pacergod2
03-19-2012, 05:37 PM
You just compared Peyton Manning to JJ Hickson? Ha Ha

No, not at all. I compared their situations. They both got cut.

NapTonius Monk
03-19-2012, 05:40 PM
immaturity at this point are undeniable.

What has he done to be labeled immature? Not refuting, just asking. Hadn't heard of any issues with him, but it's possible I could have missed it.

PR07
03-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Bird liked him in the past, although the attitude issues are somewhat alarming.

PacersHomer
03-19-2012, 05:44 PM
I didn't know he had attitude issues. Regardless he'd be a pretty good pickup. Low risk, high reward.

2minutes twoa
03-19-2012, 05:47 PM

And how would players that other teams want be available this time of year? I see no problem with signing a young big on the cheap in order to get an up close look at him for the rest of the season.

troyc11a
03-19-2012, 05:48 PM
I didn't know he had attitude issues. Regardless he'd be a pretty good pickup. Low risk, high reward.

For the rest of this year maybe. Only because there happens to be an open roster spot. There is no way they should commit to this guy after two teams have shipped him out. Again, I hope Bird waits and pursues a player of his choosing rather than pay to sift thru someone else's garbage.

Apparently the Kings could not even get a 2nd rd pick for him or they would have traded him at the deadline instead of paying him to leave.

troyc11a
03-19-2012, 05:51 PM
And how would players that other teams want be available this time of year? I see no problem with signing a young big on the cheap in order to get an up close look at him for the rest of the season.

No problem signing a player that no other team in the NBA thought was worthy of a near useless 2nd rd pick? There are more than 1 way to look at this.

RichardHawes
03-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Id much rather have Turiaf...Hickson plays like his hands are covered in butter.

Speed
03-19-2012, 05:54 PM
This is one of those almost no risk pick ups, I think. He was trending toward a double double guy who was a tough cover in the low post just 2 years ago in Cleveland. I'd love to give this guy a chance here.

Nuntius
03-19-2012, 05:55 PM
His skill set covers a lot of our weaknesses. He is a solid back to the basket player who can score and give us minutes at the 4 or 5. He is a fairly tough rebounder, when he cares to be. He is athletic and blocks shots effectively. His age is in line with the rest of our young guys. The two biggest obstacles to him coming here is that he will want to go to Miami and his attitude issues are probably in the red flag area for this franchise. I just think he has been so frustrated with the situation after Lebron left and then going to Sacramento which is abyssmal right now with no leadership.

I think it is a great opportunity to take a chance on a young player with terrific talent. He just needs to be in a good situation where there are veterans he would listen to. He needs to get better and grow his game, there is no question about that. His talent and immaturity at this point are undeniable.

My point was that our biggest need is not a player who can score with his back to the basket and be a good rebounder when he cares to.

Our biggest needs are a big who can protect the rim and a player who can pass.

Hickson is neither of those. That was my whole point.

That said, I'd be willing to bet on his talent cause he indeed has a lot of it. It's not like he is going to cost a lot either so why not trying it?

BornReady
03-19-2012, 06:04 PM
WOW
we should really get this guy
he was solid on the cavs

Justin Tyme
03-19-2012, 06:26 PM

LOL!! Love it!

I just mentioned JJ as a young player I thought the Pacers could get this off season, and bingo he gets bought out. ABSOLUTELY, you go after him!! NOW!!!

Many want another draft pick this year, well here it is a 08 # 19 pick with experience.

Justin Tyme
03-19-2012, 06:32 PM
He is not yet 24 y/o and two teams have shipped him out. A 4/5 that is good will not get shipped around unless there are some real problems with him. They dont exactly grow on trees.

I would rather use the cap space on a player that can help. Not a project like Hickson. He is really a lateral move from Amundson. I want to see them get better.

Hold the money - make a trade next year for a player they choose rather than sifting thru everyone else's junk.

This is thinking that allows other teams opportunities to pick up players for nothing then have to read on PD how the Pacers let another one slip thru their fingers.

How's GERALD GREEN doing this year? You know that washed up piece of nothing that no one wanted. Isn't' this the prime definition of a low risk high reward? The same applies to Hickson.

Justin Tyme
03-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Apparently the Kings could not even get a 2nd rd pick for him or they would have traded him at the deadline instead of paying him to leave.

GOT A LINK!

If not it's just your opinion, right? You really don't have any idea why he was bought out other than he must not be any good b/c he was bought out.

Justin Tyme
03-19-2012, 06:39 PM
That said, I'd be willing to bet on his talent cause he indeed has a lot of it. It's not like he is going to cost a lot either so why not trying it?

BINGO! Nail meet hammer.

Sparhawk
03-19-2012, 06:46 PM
C'mon Bird, let's get him!

shags
03-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if the Heat sign him. He's tight with LeBron from Cleveland days, and they could use another big man.

03-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Get Him!Get Him!Get Him!Get Him!Get Him!

Justin Tyme
03-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if the Heat sign him. He's tight with LeBron from Cleveland days, and they could use another big man.

LeBron didn't want JJ in the trade for Murphy, so I wouldn't be surprised if Miami gets him. Disappointed, but not surprised.

D0NT SH0OT ME
03-19-2012, 07:03 PM
http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n594/Brett_Pfeiffer/ragecomic.png

xBulletproof
03-19-2012, 07:12 PM
He is very talented but he does very dumb things on a basketball court. Very Javale McGee-ish.

I am indifferent.

Pingu
03-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Id much rather have Turiaf...Hickson plays like his hands are covered in butter.

So does Diaw, except Diaw's hands actually are covered in butter, from his pre-game snacks...

vnzla81
03-19-2012, 07:25 PM
No thank you, his numbers were good in Cleveland because he was playing with Lebron, I don't understand why people want to bring a similar player to Lou to backup Lou? Turiaf or Hickson don't ad on anything that we don't already have with Lou/Pen/Tyler/West.

Edit: Well looking at his numbers last year he didn't do that bad, why are they trading him?

vnzla81
03-19-2012, 07:37 PM
@MikeWellsNBA: For those who have asked, the Pacers do NOT have interest n JJ Hickson.

vnzla81
03-19-2012, 07:43 PM
@AlexKennedyNBA: J.J. Hickson is expected to sign with the Golden State Warriors once he clears waivers. Full story: http://t.co/DicXu0RC

Justin Tyme
03-19-2012, 07:52 PM
@MikeWellsNBA: For those who have asked, the Pacers do NOT have interest n JJ Hickson.

LOL! Why does this not surprise me? Lets not jump at an opportunity to help the team, but let someone else get the opportunity for a player for nothing.

troyc11a
03-19-2012, 07:53 PM
GOT A LINK!

If not it's just your opinion, right? You really don't have any idea why he was bought out other than he must not be any good b/c he was bought out.

They would not have bought him out if they could have traded him. Why pay him to leave when someone else could have taken on his salary and gien you value in return. That is just common sense.

xIndyFan
03-19-2012, 08:09 PM

ok, then i wonder what bird has in mind for the 15th roster spot. keep the money, find a vet big, find a traditional PG, what? i figure he has a plan, just wonder what it is.

Marlin
03-19-2012, 08:35 PM
GOT A LINK!

Not troy11a here, but I stumbled on this little info today on rotoworld:

Hickson has an expiring contract and has missed nine of the last 10 games due to a back injury. The Kings tried to trade him at the deadline and found no takers. Hickson certainly has upside as a 23-year-old 6'9/250 power forward and may not make it through waivers. The Celtics and Heat are among teams that could take a flier. However, the fact that the rebuilding Kings wanted nothing to do with a guy they gave up a first-round pick for back in June speaks volumes. We wouldn't expect Hickson to land as a starter anywhere.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1503/jj-hickson

I remember some rumors about him being shopped too, dude did not make it up.

mildlysane
03-19-2012, 08:38 PM
ok, then i wonder what bird has in mind for the 15th roster spot. keep the money, find a vet big, find a traditional PG, what? i figure he has a plan, just wonder what it is.
Maybe nada...:-o

TheDavisBrothers
03-19-2012, 08:43 PM
I don't mind Hickson, but in what world is he a defender and shot blocker? Not mine at least...

CableKC
03-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Can someone tweet Wells to ask if the Pacers have any interest in filling the 15th spot on the roster with any of the Players that are being waived now?

Nuntius
03-19-2012, 09:18 PM
I don't understand why people want to bring a similar player to Lou to backup Lou?

Hickson is not similar to Lou. Lou is a defensive big man. Lou is an excellent defender, a good rebounder but has a limited offensive skill set.

Hickson is not as a good defender, not as a good rebounder but he has offensive talent. He is unpolished but he is talented.

Normally, I'm not someone to prefer talent over production. As I said, I consider talent a little bit overrated.

BUT. We are talking about our 15th roster spot. He was waived so he is not gonna demand a lot.

So, there's no reason not to try.

Fit-wise, we could do better than that.

Talent-wise, I don't think we could do better given the cost that he is gonna have.

Nuntius
03-19-2012, 09:22 PM
I don't mind Hickson, but in what world is he a defender and shot blocker? Not mine at least...

He can block some shots due to his length but he is not a particularly good defender. Lou is miles ahead on this aspect.

Really?
03-19-2012, 09:31 PM
Hickson is not similar to Lou. Lou is a defensive big man. Lou is an excellent defender, a good rebounder but has a limited offensive skill set.

Hickson is not as a good defender, not as a good rebounder but he has offensive talent. He is unpolished but he is talented.

Normally, I'm not someone to prefer talent over production. As I said, I consider talent a little bit overrated.

BUT. We are talking about our 15th roster spot. He was waived so he is not gonna demand a lot.

Talent-wise, I don't think we could do better given the cost that he is gonna have.

I think Hickson is as good as rebounder, but I think a lot with him is keeping his head in the game, and his awareness is lacking, I would not mind giving him a shot either, he would be a good scorer off the bench...

Nuntius
03-19-2012, 09:45 PM
I think Hickson is as good as rebounder, but I think a lot with him is keeping his head in the game, and his awareness is lacking, I would not mind giving him a shot either, he would be a good scorer off the bench...

I should rephrase on the rebounding part. Hickson is not as good at boxing out. He can rebound but he lacks some fundamentals on that aspect. He can get boards due to his athleticism and length. Lou gets boards mainly due to his positioning and strenght. Just like Foster.

However, I can definately see him improving his fundamental aspects on rebounding and defense with Lou and Foster. Not that he is gonna come to us. Just for the sake of hypothetizing :p

Sparhawk
03-19-2012, 09:57 PM
Sucks we don't have any interest. It's not like Hans has impressed.

PGisthefuture
03-19-2012, 10:17 PM
I don't understand why we aren't interested in any bigs to sign for the rest of the year. Depth up front isn't gonna hurt us.

tadscout
03-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Seriously people, what would you do? Come to the Pacers and be at the end of the bench and at most be 3rd string... or go to GS and get playing time?

Could very well been to little time to show interest... his agent probably contacted teams they knew he could get playing time with right off the bat.

troyc11a
03-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Not troy11a here, but I stumbled on this little info today on rotoworld:

Hickson has an expiring contract and has missed nine of the last 10 games due to a back injury. The Kings tried to trade him at the deadline and found no takers. Hickson certainly has upside as a 23-year-old 6'9/250 power forward and may not make it through waivers. The Celtics and Heat are among teams that could take a flier. However, the fact that the rebuilding Kings wanted nothing to do with a guy they gave up a first-round pick for back in June speaks volumes. We wouldn't expect Hickson to land as a starter anywhere.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1503/jj-hickson

I remember some rumors about him being shopped too, dude did not make it up.

Thanks Marlin! I knew I heard about them not being able to trade him but couldnt remember where. The bottome line is that is was obvious there were no takers or he would have been dealt rather than to buy him out. It doesnt take a genius to figure out it is better to let someone else pay his salary if they were going to let him go. Duh???

davidinnc
03-19-2012, 10:43 PM
He is looking to get enough min to re-establish what he thinks he is worth. I don't see those available with the Pacers.

jeffg-body
03-20-2012, 12:29 AM
At this point I'd rather take a flyer on an out of shape Diaw than roll the dice on Hickson.

Will Galen
03-20-2012, 07:13 AM
Apparently coaches can't get him to pay attention. It says something when you are 23 and people are giving up on you.

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm
I like JJ. A lot. But his lack of focus drove both Mike Brown and Byron Scott absolutely crazy. I asked Byron late last season if JJ had done enough to secure a spot in this rebuild. His answer? "I'm not sure yet." If Scott wasn't sure after about 76 games, I knew JJ's time in Cleveland was ending. Sulia
CLEVELAND CAVALIERS, SACRAMENTO KINGS, JJ HICKSON | SHARE

Pacerized
03-20-2012, 09:59 AM
I don't understand why we aren't interested in any bigs to sign for the rest of the year. Depth up front isn't gonna hurt us.

I don't take this as the Pacers not being interested in another big, just not Hickson.
I'd be fine with it if we picked up Hickson before he clears waivers, his salary is only about 2 mil, but I don't think he'd play very much.
I'd prefer Bird to wait and see if a better option opens up. We still have I think about 7 mil in cap space to offer a player that's bought out. Even if a player clears waivers we can offer a lot more money to them then Miami or almost any other team could.
Today is the last day that players can be bought out and still have time to clear waivers by the March 23rd. deadline to join a team and play in the playoffs.
I'll be very interested to see if any other players become available today.

Hibbert
03-20-2012, 10:04 AM
I don't get it.....I thought the new CBA was supposed to keep the bigger market teams from having an advantage with stuff like free agents and such. If you read on each new FA or player who's been bought out, why is it that all interested teams are bigger market teams? Why can't Indiana or Sacramento be interested or considered for such players? It seems to me to be the same, nothing has changed.

Hibbert
03-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Today is the last day that players can be bought out and still have time to clear waivers by the March 23rd. deadline to join a team and play in the playoffs.

Teams have until Friday to complete a buyout, which would allow that player to sign with another team.

Hibbert
03-20-2012, 10:15 AM

Stats suggest that they are both in the same exact area as rebounding is concerned. Look up both players per 36/per 48 and you will find them to be almost identical. Also Lou's PER is below league average and Hickson's is above league average. Going to Sac was not under Hickson's control but it really hurt his value. He is going to be a damn steal for some lucky team and it's a shame it won't be us.

gph
03-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Not really interested in Hickson.

My viewpoint, which seems pretty obvious is that he doesn't know where to be on offense or defense, and that means he is either not giving effort or dumb as a brick.

As for everyone asking for definite proof of why one team traded him (after he feuded with byron scott) and one bought him out (and don't forget he washed out in Israel during the lockout), here are some links:

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2011/11/4/2538264/j-j-hickson-bnei-hasharon

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2011/11/06/why-j-j-hickson-failed-in-israel/

http://dimemag.com/2010/12/j-j-hickson-doesnt-like-byron-scott-blaming-him-for-loss/

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/04/byron-scott-j-j-hickson-have-clear-the-air-meeting/

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2010/10/byron-scott-is-not-impressed-with-jj-hickson/

Pacerized
03-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Teams have until Friday to complete a buyout, which would allow that player to sign with another team.

I think the deadline to join a team and be eligable for the playoffs is Fri. the 23rd. If a player has to clear waivers first before joining another team that takes 48 hours so today would be the last day to be bought out and have time to clear waivers before the Fri. playoff deadline. Basically today should be the last day that you'll see players bought out.

Hibbert
03-20-2012, 10:31 AM
I think the deadline to join a team and be eligable for the playoffs is Fri. the 23rd. If a player has to clear waivers first before joining another team that takes 48 hours so today would be the last day to be bought out and have time to clear waivers before the Fri. playoff deadline. Basically today should be the last day that you'll see players bought out.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

They have until Friday to complete a buyout, which would allow Diaw to play in the playoffs with another team.

beast23
03-20-2012, 10:45 AM
I could care less about Hickson. At this time, we should be looking for a player that can consistently provide what Hansbrough does not, and not keep comparing players to Lou as though Lou is the problem or the benchmark against which players should be compared.

As for Hickson, I don't think he is any more consistent than Tyler, thus is a waste of time.

Justin Tyme
03-20-2012, 11:07 AM
I'm never going to say JJ is the answer to anything, but nothing ventured nothing gained. It's the FO attitude of not being interested that bothers me. Bird doesn't mind giving an injured Pendergraph a 2 year contract when Pendergraph has been injured most of the year. He's played in what a half dozen or so games? It amazes me how Bird spends Herb's money on injured bench players that can't play yet Hickson was a starter in Cleveland at one time WHO COULD PLAY. I'll just wish JJ success with his new team.

What I find amusing is that if this was Magnum Rolle posters would be drooling and clamouring for Bird to get him. Now, that I think of it he'd fit right in as a bench big since he has an injury history, so Bird should be interested in getting him.

vnzla81
03-20-2012, 11:10 AM
OK guys so he is going to GS I think is time to let this thread die.

xIndyFan
03-20-2012, 11:28 AM
I could care less about Hickson. At this time, we should be looking for a player that can consistently provide what Hansbrough does not, and not keep comparing players to Lou as though Lou is the problem or the benchmark against which players should be compared.

As for Hickson, I don't think he is any more consistent than Tyler, thus is a waste of time.

it seems this is what TPTB are thinking about the last roster space. they want someone who will come in and play right away. not a young player with some potential.

is hickson going to join the rotation and play right away, like leandro did/is? probably not, so no interest.

LetsTalkPacers
03-20-2012, 01:01 PM
http://scratch.mit.edu/static/projects/pinhead/411427_med.png

Justin Tyme
03-20-2012, 01:19 PM
OK guys so he is going to GS I think is time to let this thread die.

Pot meet kettle. You are a fine one to talk! For 2 years, almost on a daily basis, we've had to put up with your obsession of Monta Ellis. Hopefully, with his being traded to the Bucks, "you'll let it die", but I seriously doubt it.

graphic-er
03-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Hickson would be a clear upgrade over Hansbrough. I don't know what Larry Bird is thinking these days. Team can't keep up with more athletic teams. An Athletic 4 drops in your lap for the taking and you say....nah...

For those that throw up the red flag based on his attitude or immaturity....look who were his teammates over the past year.

Bunch of young immature players, and a coach they all seemingly hated.

pacergod2
03-20-2012, 02:00 PM
This is all about not taking a chance on a kid with attitude issues. He is a spoiled ***** who thinks he is better than he is. He is extremely talented, but it is the mental side of the game where work ethic plays a major role in your career success. The franchise not going after this kid probably tells me that his attitude is worse than I thought. At least with Lance, he is immature and may have had some attitude issues, but he seems like he's a nice enough kid and he cares. Hickson hasn't improved as a basketball player and that is a warning.

I would absolutely take a chance on his talent however and that is because I think he would listen to veteran players like the ones we have on our team.

I think I would go after Ryan Hollins. Great worker. Not nearly as talented, but is a big body who is a capable bench player. Not going to wow us with talent or potential, but he is a big body who you could use in a pinch for sure.

Pacerized
03-20-2012, 09:24 PM

The only way a player can be bought out on Fri. and play for another team in the playoffs is if they're picked up off waivers. Very few players are picked up off waivers and have to wait the 48 hours before signing with another team. A player can't be bought out on Friday and then go on to sign with another team 48 hours later if he and the team want him for the playoffs. The player must be signed with his new team by Fri., thus making today the deadline for players to clear waivers and still be eligible for the playoffs with a new team.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-dont-count-on-a-chris-kaman-buyout

NBA teams have until March 20th to reach buyouts with players and still have enough time to clear waivers before the March 23rd playoff eligibility deadline.
That rule only applies to players that were on a roster for this season which includes players such as free agent Gilbert Arenas.
Players who were not a on a roster this season are eligible for the post season up until the last regular season game.

Nuntius
03-20-2012, 09:34 PM
Stats suggest that they are both in the same exact area as rebounding is concerned. Look up both players per 36/per 48 and you will find them to be almost identical. Also Lou's PER is below league average and Hickson's is above league average. Going to Sac was not under Hickson's control but it really hurt his value. He is going to be a damn steal for some lucky team and it's a shame it won't be us.

You're right on this but I did made the rebounding part clear.

What I meant was that Lou is a much more fundamental rebounder while JJ mainly rebounds due to his athleticism. It's just an observation.

Justin Tyme
03-22-2012, 06:56 AM
Instead of GS getting JJ Portland does. I'm not just sure how a player on waivers worx. How did Portland get Hickson instead of GS?

I was under the impression when a player was waived any team could pick him up off waivers for his current salary. If the player made it thru waivers w/o being picked up by a team, the player was free to sign with whoever. How did Portland acquire Hickson if he was going to sign with GS?

wintermute
03-22-2012, 07:21 AM
I was under the impression when a player was waived any team could pick him up off waivers for his current salary.

That's correct. But the team making the claim has to have cap space or exceptions in order to absorb the salary. Hickson's cap number is around $2.3m, so Warriors had no way of making a claim. Portland has a $2.5m trade exception from the Cmaby trade, so they could (and did) claim him.

Also, teams have claiming priority in reverse order of their records. For all we know, Pacers may have made a claim as well (using cap space), but Portland has a worse record than us, so their claim has priority.

If the player made it thru waivers w/o being picked up by a team, the player was free to sign with whoever.

Yup. But in Hickson's case, he didn't make it through waivers. Turiaf did though, so he was free to sign with Miami.

FWIW, our cap space isn't big enough to claim Diaw or Okur, but it is enough for Hollins should we be interested.

Pacerized
03-22-2012, 08:58 AM
FWIW, our cap space isn't big enough to claim Diaw or Okur, but it is enough for Hollins should we be interested.

I think we had approx. 7 mil left in cap space after taking on Barbosa. I was wondering with the timing of Foster's retirement if his 3 mil salary could be added to our cap space now. If so we might have enough space to claim Diaw depending on the amount his salary was discounted in the buyout. The same would be true for Okur but I don't know if a player retiring adds to your cap space.??
The other advantage we have over other teams would be to that we can still offer more money to a player once he clears waivers.

At this point this is our pool of big men. Anyone else who is bought out must be picked up off waivers, otherwise they won't be eligable for the playoffs.

I wonder if we'd consider Stanko though, this rule wouldn't apply to him and we could add him at almost anytime.

Justin Tyme
03-22-2012, 10:07 AM
I think we had approx. 7 mil left in cap space after taking on Barbosa. I was wondering with the timing of Foster's retirement if his 3 mil salary could be added to our cap space now. If so we might have enough space to claim Diaw depending on the amount his salary was discounted in the buyout. The same would be true for Okur but I don't know if a player retiring adds to your cap space.??
The other advantage we have over other teams would be to that we can still offer more money to a player once he clears waivers.

At this point this is our pool of big men. Anyone else who is bought out must be picked up off waivers, otherwise they won't be eligable for the playoffs.

I wonder if we'd consider Stanko though, this rule wouldn't apply to him and we could add him at almost anytime.

I'm pretty sure you can't get Foster's 3 mil back.

I believe any player who has not been on a NBA roster this year can be picked up and play in the playoffs. That applies to Stanko or some D-League players. David Harrison, not advocating just pointing out, could be be signed.

Whatever happened to Josh Boone? Last I heard he was playing in China. Is he still there?